Author Topic: Absolutely zero clothes shopping in 2018  (Read 71575 times)

katscratch

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Absolutely zero clothes shopping in 2018
« Reply #200 on: February 19, 2018, 08:00:27 AM »
I was appalled by this quote: The average woman keeps a piece of clothing in her wardrobe for only 5 weeks.

WHAT!!! 5 weeks???

My brain totally skipped right over that and read it as 5 months, which still is nuts to me, I've never had a true seasonal wardrobe. But 5 weeks.... dang. How wasteful!

AmandaPanda

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #201 on: February 19, 2018, 08:08:44 AM »
As a former recreational shopper, I can tell you I easily don't "expect" to wear clothes 30 times.  I might expect to wear it 2-3 seasons, but that means I wear it about 6 times per season, so 15-20 times.  I'm slightly embarrassed to admit this is the high end of how frequently I wear clothes.  So wearing something 30 times is truly a goal to work toward for me.

I did think expecting to have an article of clothes for only 5 weeks was insane.  That's not even the whole season.

For kids, I think essentials or capsule is a better way to go.  We do laundry only on Sundays, and they get dirty at school, so they need 7 outfits.  Not much more than that, and virtually no specialty clothing.

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #202 on: February 19, 2018, 10:11:10 AM »
I loved the 30 wears concept! I think right now only jeans meet that criteria for me, which is embarassing.  Even things I've had for a few years don't come close to 30 wears.  It's a great goal.

How do you feel about kids' clothing in with this concept?  My kids would each have about 5 outfits since they grow so fast if I wanted them to wear each thing 30 times...

I had four outfits (max) at a time when I was growing up. Every fall, Mom would take me to get 2-3 pairs jeans or pants and she would come up with 2-3 winter weight shirts if the old ones were too small (at least until about 6th grade, I was not invited to the shirt selection). I'd always outgrown the pants from the year before. The fourth outfit was a dress that fit, replaced when the old one no longer fit. My parents also always bought me one school logo t-shirt each fall . . . I did very much appreciate this.

In the summer, the only annual purchase was a new swim suit. I normally had 2 pairs of shorts (my jeans made into cut offs), 2-3 tank tops or tshirts, and the swimsuit. A pair of athletic shorts often fit from one summer to the next until I hit puberty, so no new ones if they fit.

I remember one summer winning a t-shirt at a drawing . . . I was unreasonably excited to have an additional shirt. A couple of years later I won a sweatshirt from a radio station. Hooray!

That was just how it was for me. Clothes were just not seen as important, and any request for new or different clothes met with being told I was spoiled.

As soon as I could lift the washing machine lid, I was responsible for my own laundry . . . which I couldn't do if anyone else happened to be doing laundry their that night, so dirty clothes were normal. I don't ever remember anyone else doing my laundry, although I suppose it happened when I was very little. Having 2 pairs of clean jeans available at the same time was a special treat.

Looking back, it seems really weird. No wonder I don't pick up the phone half of the time when I see it is my mother calling.

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
  • Insert dough/bread/crust joke
« Reply #203 on: February 19, 2018, 12:28:16 PM »
Clothes were expensive back then, all mine except undies and shoes were second hand.

There was a tv series recently here about waste with a feature on clothes. The teenagers in the story wore everything no more than once. They couldn't be seen in anything twice. It seems they weren't even donating the clothes after. It's all about fast fashion now. Hubby got me a $10 tee from one of these type of fast fashion shops in a print he knew I'd think was cute and it lost it's shape in one wash. I was only supposed to wear it once I think! I still wear it but it's so misshapen! I buy $50 tees from Boden that are on sale for $25 and they are high quality & don't lose their shape. I have five I think so I'm good for about five years ;)

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #204 on: February 19, 2018, 01:37:22 PM »
Yes, clothes back then cost more (on the price tag) than clothes do now in the US. Which is completely crazy! Clothing is even cheaper in China.

You make an excellent point. I shouldn't be so bitter about it . . . the situation had its pros and cons.

Sanne

• Stubble
« Reply #205 on: February 20, 2018, 01:37:46 AM »
I can relate to only having a few clothing items and everything being hand-me-downs when I was young. I used to wear weird clothing combo's. I remember that I went to a 2 week camping trip and I had to borrow clothes from a friend because I didn't have enough (and this wasn't America, so we wore our jeans/pants and shirts multiple times anyway).

When I got to buy my own clothes I was so happy. At first I didn't buy that much, just cheap things I liked, extremely on sale. But when I started having a bit more money I went crazy for a while, buying things left and right. I never bought crazy expensive things, just bought a lot so that added up.

I think I had to go through that crazy phase to find out that that was also not the solution. 
« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 01:39:32 AM by Sanne »

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #206 on: February 20, 2018, 03:16:13 AM »
I think there's room to let a child pick their own clothes, within certain limits, even with a strict budget.

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #207 on: February 21, 2018, 09:30:37 AM »
So, I went to an appointment the other day and just as the good-looking, young physio was about to do a psoas stretch in a compromising position I realized that my old, stretchy work pants (which had been relegated home pants) had two gaping holes along the seams.

Right down both sides of my inner thighs. Eegads. Ha..

He graciously draped me with a towel and continued the treatment.

My SO said "told you that keeping those pants around would get you into trouble".
I will still stitch them up but lesson learned is to do those fixes ASAP.
:)

Candace

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #208 on: February 25, 2018, 05:13:23 PM »
So, I went to an appointment the other day and just as the good-looking, young physio was about to do a psoas stretch in a compromising position I realized that my old, stretchy work pants (which had been relegated home pants) had two gaping holes along the seams.

My SO said "told you that keeping those pants around would get you into trouble".
I love that you and your SO can joke about those things.

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #209 on: February 26, 2018, 01:55:19 PM »

I love that you and your SO can joke about those things.

@Candace definitely..he gets a kick out of some of my frugal measures :)
 We are both trying to figure out this whole 'no-shopping' year and mostly it is flowing smoothly but I can see how retail therapy is something I've used in the past..now I just have no inclination to go into shops since I won't be buying anything!

frugalkristen

• Stubble
« Reply #210 on: February 26, 2018, 02:53:19 PM »
Just found this thread - I'm in but will have to go March 1st - March 1st.  I did buy a few things this year (consignment store - good deals) since I lost weight and needed a smaller size.  I'm happy at this weight and have no need to buy anything else. 

Miss Piggy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #211 on: February 26, 2018, 07:10:30 PM »
On my Android phone, I downloaded an app (actually it's a widget) called Egg Day Widget (by Etienne Lawlor). It's on my phone's home screen now to show me how many days in a row I've purchased nothing that's non-essential. As far as I can tell, it will continue counting days for the whole year. I figure it'll be a nice way to see progress.

Related, there are other apps that count "days since..." such as sobriety apps. I liked the simplicity of the egg widget.

Alright, I'm quoting myself here, but I just wanted to bring up this widget again. I like it even more now. In January, the day count was simply whatever the date was (day count was 17 on January 17). Now that it's not January anymore, it's more useful. Today it's telling me it's day 57. I find that super-motivating. I use it to brag to my husband (mr-rarely-buys-anything) and sometimes I show it off to my friends, even though they think I'm a bit weird. On the screen it's a little egg that says "Egg Day 57" and my husband will ask me "is this the day the egg will crack?" So it keeps things fun between us.

Anyway, if you need a little fun motivation on your phone's home screen, this might be the widget for you.

(I have no affiliation with the makers of this widget. I just like it.)

katscratch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #212 on: February 26, 2018, 08:25:02 PM »
@Miss Piggy what a great idea!

I was thinking just today that part of my problem with longer term challenges is literally forgetting I'm doing them when they are just trucking along.

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #213 on: February 27, 2018, 03:43:37 AM »
I'm out, I need 2 new bras and a raincoat.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #214 on: February 27, 2018, 03:57:59 AM »

I choose to believe this is a complete outfit you're buying for a very special occasion.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #215 on: February 27, 2018, 05:08:24 AM »

I choose to believe this is a complete outfit you're buying for a very special occasion.

Hahahaha!

Sanne

• Stubble
« Reply #216 on: February 27, 2018, 05:39:01 AM »
On my Android phone, I downloaded an app (actually it's a widget) called Egg Day Widget (by Etienne Lawlor). It's on my phone's home screen now to show me how many days in a row I've purchased nothing that's non-essential. As far as I can tell, it will continue counting days for the whole year. I figure it'll be a nice way to see progress.

Related, there are other apps that count "days since..." such as sobriety apps. I liked the simplicity of the egg widget.

Alright, I'm quoting myself here, but I just wanted to bring up this widget again. I like it even more now. In January, the day count was simply whatever the date was (day count was 17 on January 17). Now that it's not January anymore, it's more useful. Today it's telling me it's day 57. I find that super-motivating. I use it to brag to my husband (mr-rarely-buys-anything) and sometimes I show it off to my friends, even though they think I'm a bit weird. On the screen it's a little egg that says "Egg Day 57" and my husband will ask me "is this the day the egg will crack?" So it keeps things fun between us.

Anyway, if you need a little fun motivation on your phone's home screen, this might be the widget for you.

(I have no affiliation with the makers of this widget. I just like it.)

Oohh, I NEED this! ;) Anyone know if there is something similar for Iphone?

Update: I found DayCount. Not quite the same but does the trick. And you can add more 'challenges' and see your streaks. https://appadvice.com/app/daycount/1121088244
« Last Edit: February 27, 2018, 08:29:14 AM by Sanne »

haypug16

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #217 on: February 28, 2018, 12:52:37 PM »
Made it through February, though that peach wireless bra was a close call. 2 months down 10 to go.

I love the idea of the egg day widget. Sounds very motivational.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #218 on: March 02, 2018, 03:27:37 AM »
Month 2 is successfully in the books.  10 more to go.  March should go quickly, as I have a week's vacation.

This challenge is super fun, but very aggressive for me -- not sure I will make it.  Some of my core work capsule items are getting seriously shabby.  I guess it comes down to how crappy I am willing to look at work as the year wears on, haha.  However, the fact that I am turning in my notice at the end of the year is certainly helping.  What are they going to do, fire me?  :)

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #219 on: March 02, 2018, 12:13:12 PM »
@Trifele  Shabby chic?  :)

So far, no problem but my partner has worn some SERIOUS holes through the bottom of his socks. I will try to darn them but don't know how comfortable it will be.

I might try to sew some simple summer tanks out of things/fabric that I already own since once warm weather hits, I will be in more trouble..currently bundled in snowgear and I have heaps of it.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #220 on: March 02, 2018, 01:07:58 PM »

So far, no problem but my partner has worn some SERIOUS holes through the bottom of his socks. I will try to darn them but don't know how comfortable it will be.

I might try to sew some simple summer tanks out of things/fabric that I already own since once warm weather hits, I will be in more trouble..currently bundled in snowgear and I have heaps of it.

Ooh Serendip -- I missed that you were doing the challenge for two (or a family?)  That is awesomely hardcore!

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #221 on: March 02, 2018, 01:10:14 PM »
So far so good.

I don't have a lot of clothing to begin with. Several items in frequent rotation (especially work clothes) have small holes that I need to repair... need to get on that!

Nice job AllSummerLong!  I too have to make some repairs.  Yesterday the zipper on one of my work pants tore out for the second time.  Time to break out the sewing kit.   

Bee21

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #222 on: March 02, 2018, 02:51:22 PM »
I made it through the first 2 months.

Kids got uniforms and shoes in Jan (but they were not part of the challenge).

Am sitting on a fence about buying a pair of casual pants for my husband for his birthday if I find something in his size (which is way harder than you think). He managed to rip the bottom of his only functional pair. Patched it himself. But still. and he will need a pair of hiking boots for our European trip. Hm.

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #223 on: March 03, 2018, 07:51:06 AM »

Ooh Serendip -- I missed that you were doing the challenge for two (or a family?)  That is awesomely hardcore!

Thanks @Trifele, just two of us. It was initially his idea even though he is far from frugal--more of a consumption awareness year for us (a no-shopping year..includes everything except necessities for the house, maintaining the things we have & experiences).

It's nice having both of us in on the experiment.
And so far, the only clothing I have wanted to buy were replacement socks &  a merino wool base-layer that was nice & long (I am tall and ladies shirts tend to be so short-bodied!)..but holding strong and it's no big deal so far, even with the small wardrobe I have.

I am currently visiting my parents and finding some clothing & earrings that were left up here last visit.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2018, 10:20:22 PM by Serendip »

katscratch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #224 on: March 04, 2018, 09:30:13 PM »
I'm finding myself wanting to buy a plaid shirt.

???? Where is this coming from?

I had two or three instances this weekend of thinking Oh I should go to the mall.

Wha?? I actually can't stand the mall!

Springtime primping impulses seem to be coming in on the breeze ahead of our next winter storm!

In the meantime thanks to recommendations here, my phone's home screen reminds me I'm 63 days in already. My closet reminds me I am fully clothed. My single life reminds me if I do meet an amazing date he won't have seen any of my wardrobe so it's all brand new :)

TartanTallulah

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #225 on: March 05, 2018, 02:22:46 PM »
Temptation going on here again. Last year I listed one exception to my no-clothes-buying rule, which was that if I saw a cycle jersey that grabbed me by the eyes I could buy a matching pair of them for DH and me. As it turned out I didn't buy any for myself, and I didn't make the same exception for this year because we have about six matching pairs of perfectly good cycle jerseys already. But there are two recently-released designs on which I'm struggling to avoid hitting the spend button.

I reckon it's that "buying for my aspirational self" thing, because with work and bad weather we haven't even hit 250 miles of cycling for the year yet and it's likely to be a few more months before we can think about wearing short sleeved jerseys. And if I can hold out on the purchase until I'm cycling regularly again, the impulse will go away.

Sanne

• Stubble
« Reply #226 on: March 06, 2018, 02:21:27 AM »
I made a pinterest board with clothes I would like to have for some reason or another, so I log the temptations. I also log thoughts, like when I think 'I would like a different color cardigan' when I think my black one is getting a bit boring. I would like to see if they are just temptations or really things I'm lacking.

The weather is finally changing here, spring is coming. I always pack away some of my stuff (sort of capsule wardrobe, but more fluctual), so it's good that I can wear some other things the coming months.

I really like this challenge. I like noticing I have enough, I like the fact that I don't buy extra just to buy extra, but to really wear the things I have and to practice gratitude. And I don't want to come across to other people as a persons who aimlessly spends money on clothes.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #227 on: March 06, 2018, 02:49:58 AM »
I don't want to fully commit to this thread, because I do want to be able to buy e.g. new socks whenever I need them. But so far, I haven't bought any clothes in 2018. I will try to continue not buying anything I don't need. I have enough normal clothes to wear.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #228 on: March 06, 2018, 02:57:13 AM »
I don't want to fully commit to this thread, because I do want to be able to buy e.g. new socks whenever I need them. But so far, I haven't bought any clothes in 2018. I will try to continue not buying anything I don't need. I have enough normal clothes to wear.

There's a thread for Only Necessary Clothes Shopping which might fit?

Sanne

• Stubble
« Reply #229 on: March 06, 2018, 08:28:04 AM »
Still going strong, but I have an issue.

My aunt is getting married and I only have one dress that sort of fits, but it’s black, which isn’t ideal for a wedding. That’s fine, I know other people are wearing black, so I’m not too concerned.

My mom owns a high end women’s clothing store and is offering to give me an Italian designer dress for the wedding, which would involve me going to her store, trying stuff on, and really, shopping for a brand new dress. I just wouldn’t pay for it.

It will piss my mom off if I say no.
The stuff in her store is rarely flattering on me, it’s all geared to an older clientele, so it’s unlikely that I’ll actually end up with a new dress, but if I do, does that count as shopping if it’s kind of against my will???

Tough one although I would say it's fine. You wouldn't have bought anything otherwise, it's not a loophole you're trying to justify. It's not an addition to your regular wardrobe but for a special occasion and so on. I think you're good.

If you're not sure just think about the reasons for doing this challenge and the consequences for these reasons.

katscratch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #230 on: March 06, 2018, 02:01:17 PM »
I made a pinterest board with clothes I would like to have for some reason or another, so I log the temptations. I also log thoughts, like when I think 'I would like a different color cardigan' when I think my black one is getting a bit boring. I would like to see if they are just temptations or really things I'm lacking.

The weather is finally changing here, spring is coming. I always pack away some of my stuff (sort of capsule wardrobe, but more fluctual), so it's good that I can wear some other things the coming months.

I really like this challenge. I like noticing I have enough, I like the fact that I don't buy extra just to buy extra, but to really wear the things I have and to practice gratitude. And I don't want to come across to other people as a persons who aimlessly spends money on clothes.

I love this. This is part of why challenges for me often need to be all or nothing - it helps me identify my true impulses and the underlying wants or habits.

I've noticed I feel a lot more appreciation for the clothing I do have, too. Especially having a "uniform" that I find very comfortable in the winter.

My aunt is getting married and I only have one dress that sort of fits, but it’s black, which isn’t ideal for a wedding. That’s fine, I know other people are wearing black, so I’m not too concerned.

My mom owns a high end women’s clothing store and is offering to give me an Italian designer dress for the wedding, which would involve me going to her store, trying stuff on, and really, shopping for a brand new dress. I just wouldn’t pay for it.

The stuff in her store is rarely flattering on me, it’s all geared to an older clientele, so it’s unlikely that I’ll actually end up with a new dress, but if I do, does that count as shopping if it’s kind of against my will???

Are you able to borrow it and return it worn?

As far as how this fits into the challenge for you, I agree with Sanne's last sentence. How would this affect your feelings and thinking about clothing? For instance, if you are doing the challenge to break a mindless shopping habit, how does visiting a shop and trying on clothing affect the impulse to shop?

Myself, I just discovered how to accessorize (not well, but still) in the last year. So I'd wear the black dress with a spring-color scarf. I'd offer a better accessorizing suggestion but that's as fashionable as I get, haha.

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
  • Insert dough/bread/crust joke
« Reply #231 on: March 06, 2018, 02:31:18 PM »
I'd also accessorise the existing dress but that's because I don't much like dress shopping...

March is wet and a bit cooler where I am so I think I can successfully say I've headed off my need for shorts and sandals. Hopefully the end of the year won't be too hot, or so hot that I don't leave the house ;)

My bras are just terrible, the one I'm wearing now has a strap that digs in, it's a weird stretchy strap that you can't get the right length, but I need to wear it as it's flesh coloured for under white tees. I'm going to wear it off the shoulder when I'm not in public! In winter I won't be wearing just a tee on its own so I can choose a more comfortable black one OR I'm going to wear one of my sleep tops with a built in bra or go with no bra under all my layers. Boobs are such a pain.

Ms Terror

• Stubble
« Reply #232 on: March 06, 2018, 08:00:49 PM »
What about borrowing a dress from a friend to give you a bit of variety but not need to "purchase" new?

Just_Looking_Here

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #233 on: March 07, 2018, 01:50:59 PM »
I find saving clothes to Pinterest or downloading a picture satisfies the urge to shop and I often find there is something similar in my physical wardrobe already!

AmandaPanda

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #234 on: March 08, 2018, 08:03:48 AM »
The purpose of this challenge for me personally is to stop mindless spending and buying unnecessary things.  For me, being gifted a dress I somewhat needed would not break the challenge.  It sounds like you don't even want it, and wouldn't be tempted by being in the shop, so I would get the dress. 

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
  • Lovin' the Mustachian life!
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #235 on: March 09, 2018, 01:18:17 AM »

Are you able to borrow it and return it worn?

As far as how this fits into the challenge for you, I agree with Sanne's last sentence. How would this affect your feelings and thinking about clothing? For instance, if you are doing the challenge to break a mindless shopping habit, how does visiting a shop and trying on clothing affect the impulse to shop?

Myself, I just discovered how to accessorize (not well, but still) in the last year. So I'd wear the black dress with a spring-color scarf. I'd offer a better accessorizing suggestion but that's as fashionable as I get, haha.

There’s no way my mom would let me borrow and return a dress. Also, I visit her shop all the time and it doesn’t make me want to shop. I haven’t bought much clothes for nearly a decade because I spent 4 years gaining weight and then 5 years losing it, so my size has changed for years.
This challenge is therefore pretty easy for me...except that I don’t own much that fits.

I can definitely accessorize the slightly unflattering black dress, I worked in fashion previously, so I’m pretty comfortable with styling. It’s just not a very nice or flattering dress, and it happens to be black. It’s just sub-optimal all around.

It sounds like your options are between wearing an unflattering black dress you own, or being gifted a dress you probably won’t love because it won’t suit your age. Not ideal!

What about something like rent the runway? You’re not adding to your closet, and it’s not mindless consumerism... is it cheating? :P haha probably... which is why I just lurk in this thread but actually belong in the other! (Only necessary clothes shopping).

Sanne

• Stubble
« Reply #236 on: March 09, 2018, 05:00:07 AM »
I just wanted to make sure I’m still welcome in the “buy nothing” thread if my mom makes me “shop” at her store for a new dress.

I would say you would still be welcome ;) Like I said, it's not a loophole! It would be different if you would really want a new dress from the store and basically you mom said she would give it to you because she knew you really wanted one but couldn't/wouldn't buy one. Or someone who receives giftcards and spends them 'because it's not my own money'.

FireHiker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #237 on: March 09, 2018, 04:54:22 PM »
I'm still good on this challenge; no clothing purchased for myself this year! The only clothing that has been purchased in my house the entire year to date is one winter coat for my daughter who has outgrown hers. We are finally out of hand me downs because she has caught up to her big brother (and the girl across the street who is 2 years older) size-wise. It was bound to happen eventually. Since my participation in this challenge is only for myself, I am still in. :)

AmandaPanda

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #238 on: March 12, 2018, 10:06:18 AM »
I had an odd assortment of shorts and tees for my daughter and needed some things to match with a few (our kids do full matching outfits so they can easily get dressed in the morning).  I haven't shopped there in ages, but went to Once Upon a Child and was able to get everything she needed for summer for $20.  It satisfied the shopping urge and I stuck with necessity.  I figured I saved about $45 by buying everything there instead of Target, etc.

I was looking at my sad, saggy, faded swimsuits and thinking about the cruise we are taking in a few weeks.  Then I uncovered a swimsuit I forgot I owned that looks brand new.  While I'd love to get another suit, this one serves its purpose for now! So I am still in this challenge!  It's the longest I've ever gone in my life not purchasing a single article of clothing for myself.

FireHiker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #239 on: March 12, 2018, 11:52:40 AM »
Well, I'm out, moving to the "no unnecessary clothing" challenge. I'm training for a half marathon and it became abundantly clear last week that I needed a couple more clothing items for my busier weeks where laundry isn't well managed. I bought a couple sports bras, one more pair of running tights, and two breathable tops this weekend. I also ran 3.5 miles yesterday which is the furthest I have ever run in my life; I feel great and I don't regret it a bit. I did go affordable at Target though on the sports bras, thanks to a recommendation from a friend. Good luck to you all for the challenge the rest of the year!

Miss Piggy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #240 on: March 12, 2018, 04:04:29 PM »
Day 71 and still going strong!

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #241 on: March 12, 2018, 05:02:11 PM »
@FireHiker good luck with the no unnecessary clothes challenge!

FireHiker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #242 on: March 12, 2018, 05:08:22 PM »
@FireHiker good luck with the no unnecessary clothes challenge!

Thanks!

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #243 on: March 13, 2018, 09:29:08 AM »
Good job @AmandaPanda 
 I also have a swimsuit in rotation that I swore I'd get rid of 2 years ago- Oh well! I am working on jumping in lakes more this year and might even try swim lessons for adults so I could do longer swims..in my some-what saggy suit :)

GOFU

• Stubble
« Reply #244 on: March 14, 2018, 10:17:08 AM »
I posted this challenge before seeing this much more developed one. And I thought I was being all original and stuff.

I will not buy, for myself, one stitch of clothing in 2018. Not a shirt, not a pair of socks, or shoes or even a shoelace. I have more than enough to get through the year, and if I don't I'll wear what I have even if it is threadbare down to the molecular level.

I will buy what is reasonably necessary for my wife and kids, but necessity will be evaluated on substantially stricter standards. Looking at their closets I should put them on the same clothing restriction as myself for the year, but I know better than to be an ogre about it. 

Anything I own that I don't wear at least once in 2018 is getting the heave-ho.

Since I posted my own challenge, and I joined this challenge, that's like a double dog dare.

Miss Piggy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #245 on: March 14, 2018, 05:18:26 PM »
However, I’m now playing with some big money finance people and was offered a side hustle job that will require me to show up in something more respectable than leggings and carrying a back pack.

I get it, @Malkynn. Last year, I got a gig in the finance industry, and that's why I could not have succeeded with this challenge last year. Had to buy several conservative business "outfits" for the new gig. But because I may have gone slightly overboard last year, I reeeeeeaaaaallly don't need anything this year.

Congrats on the 70 pounds!

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #246 on: March 15, 2018, 02:46:27 AM »
Best of luck Malkynn, and congrats on the gig! 

AmandaPanda

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #247 on: March 15, 2018, 06:41:45 AM »
I had a nightmare last night that I bought clothes and was kicked off this thread...

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
  • Lovin' the Mustachian life!
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #248 on: March 15, 2018, 07:39:42 AM »
Malkynn - I hope I’ll see you in the Only Necessary clothing shopping thread?

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #249 on: March 15, 2018, 09:45:12 AM »

These pants have re-emerged! I bought a gym pass and then really realized I don't have many bottoms/pants to wear so I wore these yoga-pants from my physio-story even though they haven't been fixed yet. I will do it this week! (especially since they have a new hole in one knee)
It's actually been interesting to remove the option of buying gear which I may have previously used as an excuse not to do something 'better not go to the gym until I am dressed in the appropriate type of clothing ,etc'.
In reality I could wear jeans to the gym if I needed to, which wouldn't be comfortable but it's a good challenge to my social self to question these assumptions.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!