Author Topic: Absolutely zero clothes shopping in 2018  (Read 71576 times)

Brother Esau

• Pencil Stache
Re: Absolutely zero clothes shopping in 2018
« Reply #150 on: February 01, 2018, 05:16:22 AM »
Boom-- One month down, no purchases. 

(Confession timeI feel like a bit of an imposter in this thread, because I don't want to buy any clothes ... I don't feel nearly the same desire that some others here do.  My only challenge is just to make the few clothes I have last a year .... I felt like I should come clean, in case the OP wants to kick me out.)

Good job everyone!

<sheepishly raises hand in solidarity>

I'm in this same boat. No desire to buy any clothes since I have plenty of everything. Feels like we're cheating.

frontstepdesign

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #151 on: February 01, 2018, 07:05:14 AM »
Rather late, since it's Feb now, but I've just found this, and done so well for one month...hoping to actually sew some of the projects I've accumulated over the years.

I'm struggling with the last batch of friends/Facebook culture though - I need to find more people who do something OTHER than acquire stuff.

haypug16

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #152 on: February 01, 2018, 07:20:01 AM »
Boom-- One month down, no purchases. 

(Confession timeI feel like a bit of an imposter in this thread, because I don't want to buy any clothes ... I don't feel nearly the same desire that some others here do.  My only challenge is just to make the few clothes I have last a year .... I felt like I should come clean, in case the OP wants to kick me out.)

Good job everyone!

<sheepishly raises hand in solidarity>

I'm in this same boat. No desire to buy any clothes since I have plenty of everything. Feels like we're cheating.

+1 Same here. I used to love clothes shopping but over the past year or so I've lost interest (Thanks MMM) and I'd rather hold on to my money or spend it on other things.

TartanTallulah

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #153 on: February 02, 2018, 12:23:14 AM »
Rather late, since it's Feb now, but I've just found this, and done so well for one month...hoping to actually sew some of the projects I've accumulated over the years.

I'm struggling with the last batch of friends/Facebook culture though - I need to find more people who do something OTHER than acquire stuff.

Well done so far :-)

I'm with you on the company you keep making a difference. I've learned over the years that it does me no good at all to hang out on knitting/crochet websites because so much is about acquiring materials and patterns.

Fortunately, most of my friends who are into buying and displaying new clothing seem to be going through a competitive psychedelic running leggings phase, and I have no interest in running leggings that are any colour other than black, of which I have enough.

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
  • Insert dough/bread/crust joke
« Reply #154 on: February 02, 2018, 12:35:56 AM »
I seem to have lost my sunglasses. Uh oh.

Ooooh, I'm sorry Fresh Bread.  I hope they turn up.  Maybe you could borrow some from a friend if they don't?

I never once thought of sunglasses as a challenge . . .  I have one pair, and now I am going to watch over them like a newborn baby.

I found them, phew. I did remember that I have kept an old pair, they aren't broken just really scratched up. Ok for sun protection, just not ideal for driving!

katscratch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #155 on: February 02, 2018, 07:47:01 AM »
Oh I'm glad you found them!  I am down to one spendy pair that has interchangeable lenses for biking and driving so I am a total nut about knowing where they are.

@frontstepdesign it's fascinating how much our habits can be shaped by even just conversation among friends. I definitely started shopping more the one year I had a couple new friends who were recreational shoppers.

Miss Piggy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #156 on: February 02, 2018, 08:32:53 AM »

Sorry, but I would not count sunglasses as clothing. I cannot live without them, which is why I have 4 pair (one pair in each car, one for walking/outdoors stuff, and one in my purse). I'm very careful with them and try very very hard not to lose them (can't remember the last time I lost a pair), but if I only owned one pair and they were lost, I would not hesitate to buy another, and I would not count it against myself for this challenge.

Am I missing the point?

TartanTallulah

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #157 on: February 02, 2018, 12:42:50 PM »

Sorry, but I would not count sunglasses as clothing. I cannot live without them, which is why I have 4 pair (one pair in each car, one for walking/outdoors stuff, and one in my purse). I'm very careful with them and try very very hard not to lose them (can't remember the last time I lost a pair), but if I only owned one pair and they were lost, I would not hesitate to buy another, and I would not count it against myself for this challenge.

Am I missing the point?

I would agree with you. I'm not much of a sunglasses wearer (where I live, the sun hardly shows its face for six months of the year) but in most places for at least some of the year they're important for long term eye health. I've got a couple of pairs to wear for cycling in the summer and don't regard them as "clothing" for the purpose of this challenge.

Having said that, I also won't be shopping for more unless mine all break or disappear.

katscratch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #158 on: February 02, 2018, 01:53:06 PM »
I think for me it would depend on my underlying behaviors around accessories.

If part of my typical clothing shopping included sunglasses, necklaces, and socks, I'd probably count those in a No Clothing challenge because it's all part of the same habit.

FireHiker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #159 on: February 02, 2018, 04:49:57 PM »
I wouldn't count sunglasses as clothing, but mine are prescription.

Made it through January! Although the challenge is only for me, I haven't bought clothing for anyone else in the family either. I sure like seeing a category on my monthly spending with a big fat zero in it!

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #160 on: February 03, 2018, 10:30:50 AM »
I think it's great to have a mix of people on this thread with different relationships to 'buying'. Some feel challenged, some feel relieved.  Clothing is an interesting one since some already have an abundance while others are working with a more minimal wardrobe.

I feel a mix of challenge and relief..so far it's been easy-peasy. We are doing a 'no shopping' year, nothing but groceries, essentials, etc and I live in a gear-heavy community (outdoor gear) so it's interesting how I notice more the tendency to desire an upgrade or aquisition so I can join in on things (ie..a mountain bike, a canoe).
The clothing isn't as important as the ability in most cases.

And I have enough gear/proper clothing (including waterproof jackets, pants, wool layers, etc) so I can work with what I have.  That's the challenge now (well...and taking care of/mending things and avoiding stores having discount sales)

Miss Piggy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #161 on: February 03, 2018, 11:12:52 AM »
I think for me it would depend on my underlying behaviors around accessories.

If part of my typical clothing shopping included sunglasses, necklaces, and socks, I'd probably count those in a No Clothing challenge because it's all part of the same habit.

Excellent point. Sunglasses are not one of my problem (read: buy too many) items...I was ignoring the fact that perhaps they are for some.

AmandaPanda

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #162 on: February 03, 2018, 09:01:19 PM »
Serendip - really good thoughts!  I also feel a mix.  I know I have too much, so I feel relief, but also I feel it's a challenge because the habit is always to shop recreationally.

I have enjoyed everyone's thoughts on different topics, including the sunglasses!

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #163 on: February 03, 2018, 09:36:04 PM »
About the sunglasses, I probably don't really think of them as clothing, more like PPE. But part of this challenge for me is too look after my things so I don't create waste. It's so easy to replace things.

frontstepdesign

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #164 on: February 05, 2018, 08:06:11 AM »
I'm with you on the company you keep making a difference. I've learned over the years that it does me no good at all to hang out on knitting/crochet websites because so much is about acquiring materials and patterns.

I'm SO GLAD you said this specific thing.  Going now to FB, to 'unfollow but stay friends' to a number of crafty groups...I need a 'new idea' like I need a vacuum attached to my pocketbook!

frontstepdesign

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #165 on: February 06, 2018, 07:07:04 AM »
...and found on FB, this first-person report of a young woman wearing the same outfit to work five days in a row, and no-one noticed.

https://www.littlethings.com/same-outfit-for-a-week/?utm_source=ntop&utm_medium=Facebook&utm_campaign=lifehack

She quotes CreditDonkey that the average American spends $161/month on clothing and services.  So if I can stick to the rest of the year, that's $1932 saved!  (probably more, because I know how I was last year.  Erg.)

I also appreciate her observation that "I found that I was pretty upset I couldn’t wear a specially conceived outfit to the concert and instead was stuck wearing my same old uninvolved getup for my one night out."

^^^This is me.  I'm a person who goes to a Ren Faire and feels left out of dressing up.  My favorite toy as a child was the dressup box.  I made a lot of progress against that feeling in 2016 when I shifted to a "capsule wardrobe" (mostly black, very French, ha!), which I found did indeed seem to help my career.  It was nice to think, "this little black dress is good for the office AND dinner with the girls AND church AND a concert..."

But now I telecommute mostly, so I lack for NOTHING, and just need to unearth all the sources of that message: "psst, you aren't adequately dressed, you need this thing!"

katscratch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #166 on: February 06, 2018, 08:17:06 AM »
I wear the same thing every day to and from work for the entirety of winter (so eleventy-billion months, it feels like), and a slightly less layered version of the same thing in spring and fall. Nobody ever notices. If I'm not wearing snowpants I get a question once every few weeks asking if I have a date after work.

My motivation was finding merino baselayers and a sweater that actually keeps me warm, but only being able to afford one of each piece. I'd rather be warm than fashionable but turns out I'm accidentally both ;)

I found myself browsing shoes online this morning. I've looked at purchasing Lems brand shoes for about a year. My back has been so much happier since wearing true barefoot shoes at work - currently Merrell Vapor Gloves. But my bunions of power tend to blow out the side of the shoes in six months or so. The kicker is that the rest of the shoe is in perfect condition and will be for years, really, because there's no cushion to compress. The soles are in great shape, showing zero sign of wear so far. I hate having to throw away a shoe that can't be recycled or donated just because there's a hole.

I work in surgery, though, and wear shoe covers if I'm in an OR, so why don't I just wear them all the time?

That was an easy fix. Browser window closed. My feet are still happy.

AmandaPanda

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #167 on: February 06, 2018, 08:17:57 AM »
...and found on FB, this first-person report of a young woman wearing the same outfit to work five days in a row, and no-one noticed.

https://www.littlethings.com/same-outfit-for-a-week/?utm_source=ntop&utm_medium=Facebook&utm_campaign=lifehack

I really enjoyed this.  I also like to pick out different outfits, and I would have hated to wear the same thing to a concert! I do kind of feel like a sucker with the amount of money I've sunk into my closet at this point in my life.

Getting there!

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #168 on: February 06, 2018, 09:00:41 AM »
I'm brimming over with clothes, jewelry and accessories, and I am  committed to having a no buy year. It is a struggle for sure and I have items I haven't even worn yet.  My goals are to reduce my items to fit the size of a new to me set of dressers.  An armoire, dresser and two night tables along with a closet should be plenty.  I have removed myself from websites of clothing stores I generally buy through so I'm not tempted with all the latest sales and promotions on a daily basis.  I have had a setback of sorts where I did purchase a vest, sweater, 2 tops, 2 pairs of earrings, and a jacket at rock bottom prices from two stores on-line that I frequent.  My justification was that I returned a pair of gloves and a scarf from Christmas and the refund more than covers the cost of my purchase.  When I picked up my on-line order yesterday I was browsing the store and saw plenty of items I was so close to buying, but didn't. I do give myself kudos for that.
I want to be careful too that I don't substitute a commitment to not buying clothing, etc. to purchases of another sort like my weakness for tickets to live events. Awareness is the first step!

frontstepdesign

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #169 on: February 06, 2018, 10:08:59 AM »
An armoire, dresser and two night tables along with a closet should be plenty.

I use an armoire, a dresser, and hang my coats/formals in a shared 4' closet.  I could probably pare down further, if I could get some more of the fantasy selves to multi-task. :D  "You, WinterQueen, you are totally capable of rocking UglySweater/Holiday Party.  You, FrenchFemme, you are absolutely ok wearing black to the horse races, you already have a hat.  GardenParty, you are on tap for SummerWedding."

FireHiker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #170 on: February 08, 2018, 10:58:27 AM »
I am still on track with this challenge. I'm down just a couple pounds but the shift is enough that I have a third pair of jeans in my rotation, and a fourth that can fit if I lose just a few more pounds. Since my most-worn jeans are getting an alarmingly thin spot in a critical area, and I wear jeans every day, this is vital to my no-clothes buying. I suppose I have a pair of nicer black pants I could wear in a pinch, but then people will ask if I have an interview, and that just gets annoying so I'm trying to avoid that if possible.

katscratch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #171 on: February 08, 2018, 11:50:29 AM »
I had my first IWantIt moment this morning, seeing a woman in the hallway in a simple black wool dress and thinking OH that particular cut would be a perfect year round uniform!

I sooooo don't need it. 'But I could narrow down my clothes even more!' said my WantIt brain.

My wallet would be quite narrowed. I don't need to even look up prices on Icebreaker. Or Ibex to see if they are clearancing out clothing yet now that they've closed up shop.

Nope. Moving right along. :)

@FireHiker Great progress!

@Malkynn I love that you've come to this attitude after being fashion-knowledgable! I was always the opposite, totally clueless, and came to this side after figuring out one style that looks good on me and not wanting to mess it up by branching out :)

@frontstepdesign All my friends in the PNW have costumed theme parties regularly. I would have a very very different challenge if I still lived there! I totally sympathize with your multi-clothing needs and wants!

I'm brimming over with clothes, jewelry and accessories, and I am  committed to having a no buy year. It is a struggle for sure and I have items I haven't even worn yet.  My goals are to reduce my items to fit the size of a new to me set of dressers.  An armoire, dresser and two night tables along with a closet should be plenty.  I have removed myself from websites of clothing stores I generally buy through so I'm not tempted with all the latest sales and promotions on a daily basis.  I have had a setback of sorts where I did purchase a vest, sweater, 2 tops, 2 pairs of earrings, and a jacket at rock bottom prices from two stores on-line that I frequent.  My justification was that I returned a pair of gloves and a scarf from Christmas and the refund more than covers the cost of my purchase.  When I picked up my on-line order yesterday I was browsing the store and saw plenty of items I was so close to buying, but didn't. I do give myself kudos for that.
I want to be careful too that I don't substitute a commitment to not buying clothing, etc. to purchases of another sort like my weakness for tickets to live events. Awareness is the first step!

Welcome! From here on out: NO buying!

I would encourage you to look at it differently. Instead of justifying the purchase (because that reinforces the impulse and behaviour), simply acknowledge you did it, and then move on knowing you won't do it again.

I like that you're already examining your impulses and how they will affect other areas of your life. A few years ago I canceled my gym membership in an effort to save money. By the end of the year I realized I'd spent that and more because I'd gone to the salon and had a pixie cut that needed regular trimming. It took me a while to figure out that I was purchasing *something* that made me feel externally attractive - muscles, cute hair, the once a year sudden interest in makeup that lasts about two weeks, heh. It took a while to correct that internal wiring.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2018, 11:53:22 AM by katscratch »

Step37

• Bristles
« Reply #172 on: February 08, 2018, 05:35:18 PM »
@FireHiker I can so relate to the “thin-in-a-critical-area jeans” problem! I went back to Weight Watchers in April (lifetime member) partly so I could retire some badly worn out jeans and get the smaller ones back into the rotation. The other part of going back was just general annoyance with myself that I’d let it creep up. Anyway, good luck with both of your challenges! :)

Sanne

• Stubble
« Reply #173 on: February 09, 2018, 12:52:46 AM »

As a non-American I always cringe when I read these kinds of articles where people do a 'challenge' of wearing items multiple times in a row. When I used to watch American movies where someone does a 'walk of shame' I never knew how people could know the woman didn't sleep at her own house, but we figured out this was because she was wearing the same outfit..

And this 'revelation' from the writer: 'if you want to wear the same jeans two days in a row, go for it'

Well yeah, duh. That's not a revelation, that's just common sense. I wear jeans more than two days usually. If it's not dirty, no stains, why wouldn't I? And I work in a professional setting. No-one cares and almost everyone does this.

Why are Americans so against wearing things multiple times in a row? If it's not dirty, you can just wear it again right? It won't kill me. What am I missing?

Is it just marketing? Shaming people for nothing so they will buy more more more? More clothes, more laundry detergent, more washers, more dryers. Does it come up in your commercials? In your magazines? Where does this come from?

FireHiker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #174 on: February 09, 2018, 11:56:17 AM »
@FireHiker I can so relate to the “thin-in-a-critical-area jeans” problem! I went back to Weight Watchers in April (lifetime member) partly so I could retire some badly worn out jeans and get the smaller ones back into the rotation. The other part of going back was just general annoyance with myself that I’d let it creep up. Anyway, good luck with both of your challenges! :)

I'm sorry that you can related for the same reasons! I turn 40 this year and my youngest child is 6...it's time to get my act together and get back in shape. I have a wonderful wardrobe of clothing down a size/2 sizes, everything I could need except swimsuits (and I'd need to check the state of elastic on undergarments; I decluttered the old swimsuits last year but bras and underwear still seemed alright at the time). Wishing you good luck as well!

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #175 on: February 12, 2018, 08:59:47 AM »
Starting to realize my runners might not make it through the year (maybe 4 years old) and I am signed up for a 1/2marathon in June.

I am going to see how long I can wear them but noticed one of my heels seems to not have the right cushioning anymore.
This probably falls under gear more than clothing but still..I am torn!

My partner and I are on a no-shopping challenge this year so while I prefer to not replace things, I will do so when/if it means I am aggravating my body.

haypug16

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #176 on: February 12, 2018, 11:23:16 AM »
Was walking through Target yesterday and as I was walking by the bras I so a great no-wire bra in peach and was seconds away from grabbing it when I remember this Challenge. That was a close one!

katscratch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #177 on: February 12, 2018, 12:11:13 PM »
Was walking through Target yesterday and as I was walking by the bras I so a great no-wire bra in peach and was seconds away from grabbing it when I remember this Challenge. That was a close one!

I think this is awesome! Great save! My biggest challenge with challenges has always been remembering I'm doing them :)

haypug16

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #178 on: February 12, 2018, 12:29:51 PM »

I think this is awesome! Great save! My biggest challenge with challenges has always been remembering I'm doing them :)

So true, It's especially hard with this challenge because clothes shopping is not something I do a lot so I'm not constantly trying to stop myself.

Nola584

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #179 on: February 12, 2018, 04:29:53 PM »

Why are Americans so against wearing things multiple times in a row? If it's not dirty, you can just wear it again right? It won't kill me. What am I missing?

Is it just marketing? Shaming people for nothing so they will buy more more more? More clothes, more laundry detergent, more washers, more dryers. Does it come up in your commercials? In your magazines? Where does this come from?

Honestly I have no idea. I’m American, but I lived in Germany for a while, and while there I had the reverse of your revelation. I regularly wear clothes a few times before washing, but it never occurred to me that I might wear the same item even two days in a row before seeing my colleagues do so.

Might have its roots in marketing,  but definitely (at least for me) is a cultural thing that operated  subconsciously.

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #180 on: February 12, 2018, 07:21:12 PM »
Starting to realize my runners might not make it through the year (maybe 4 years old) and I am signed up for a 1/2marathon in June.

I am going to see how long I can wear them but noticed one of my heels seems to not have the right cushioning anymore.
This probably falls under gear more than clothing but still..I am torn!

My partner and I are on a no-shopping challenge this year so while I prefer to not replace things, I will do so when/if it means I am aggravating my body.

I felt a 'pop' under the heel of my trail shoe today so I think I am in the same boat... Annoyingly the tread is still fine and they look ok. But if I'm uneven I'm going to get hip problems even though they are just for walking not running.

GoConfidently

• Stubble
« Reply #181 on: February 12, 2018, 07:57:39 PM »
I'm still on track, but wanted desperately to buy something new for a work trip. I swear more than half of my clothes shopping happens before travel for some reason. I don't even want fun stuff. I just want to hoard tank tops and solid pullovers. Something about packing makes me want to throw away everything I own and start over with all black and grey. Maybe I'll get there eventually. In the meantime, I'm battling online sales by upping my reading goals.

Sanne

• Stubble
« Reply #182 on: February 13, 2018, 02:26:56 AM »

Honestly I have no idea. I’m American, but I lived in Germany for a while, and while there I had the reverse of your revelation. I regularly wear clothes a few times before washing, but it never occurred to me that I might wear the same item even two days in a row before seeing my colleagues do so.

Might have its roots in marketing,  but definitely (at least for me) is a cultural thing that operated  subconsciously.

Ah, thanks for answering this, good to hear from a perspective of someone who has seen both worlds. I'm sure everyone has things (in every culture) they do and they don't really know why, it's always good to think critically but that's not that easy. I wonder what kinds of things I do without thinking, probably a lot..

I didn't buy any clothing for a month now (doing this from the 15th of January 2018 - 2019). So far so good!

I'm even selling some clothing I knew I wanted to get rid of, it's so good to see my balance go up in the clothing budget part of YNAB instead of going down. I also noticed that, although I already cleared out a lot, I even had a few items (5/6) I haven't worn yet that I bought last year. Sometimes because it wasn't the right weather yet but for 3 items because I just picked stuff that was easier to wear because I already knew what to wear it with. I "challenged" myself to at least wear every item once this month to get it into my routine. One pair of pants to go.

I also feel and notice, although I don't have an extreme amount of clothing (I know that's relative), that I have more than enough.

New clothing only robs me of my chance to wear the things I already have and like.

frontstepdesign

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #183 on: February 14, 2018, 11:51:59 AM »

New clothing only robs me of my chance to wear the things I already have and like.

I love this attitude!

Absolutely it's marketing - there's a fascinating documentary called The Century of the Self, which details the conscious shift in American marketing practices in the 20th century, from promoting a product's features, to concentration on emotional appeal (FOMO, etc).  Literally, a group of businessmen and govt execs sat around a table and said: We're too efficient at making stuff, supply exceeds demand, we must artificially increase demand.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Century_of_the_Self

Interesting revelation the other day - I'm starting to look at my closet and see the "unitaskers", and want to get them out.  Because if I wear the novelty Xmas pants, then that tells the world "this woman is foolish enough to spend her money on novelty Xmas pants" and I don't want to send out that message.  If I 'need' a funny Xmas outfit for a party, I'll...draw a reindeer with hot glue on wax paper, and pin that on a sweater I love and wear regularly.

Just_Looking_Here

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #184 on: February 15, 2018, 11:45:52 AM »
Count me in! Moving back to the UK after working abroad and experiencing a few changes in size has made it clear I have all the clothes I need for this year (and more!).

I'm slowly getting smaller now that I'm eating gluten free so should be able to get rid of the maternity clothes I bought for when my tummy swelled up. I'll keep some stretchy clothes in case I'm glutened, but plan on donating or selling my larger clothes so I should finish up the year with fewer things.

I'm excited about letting go of the larger things and hope to recoup a little cash and more space!

wordnerd

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #185 on: February 15, 2018, 06:48:23 PM »
Had a dream the other night in which I bought a new dress, and my subconscious noted that I would need to drop out of this thread. Fortunately, it was all a bad dream, and I'm still here! :)

Sanne

• Stubble
« Reply #186 on: February 16, 2018, 07:49:52 AM »

I love this attitude!

Absolutely it's marketing - there's a fascinating documentary called The Century of the Self, which details the conscious shift in American marketing practices in the 20th century, from promoting a product's features, to concentration on emotional appeal (FOMO, etc).  Literally, a group of businessmen and govt execs sat around a table and said: We're too efficient at making stuff, supply exceeds demand, we must artificially increase demand.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Century_of_the_Self

Interesting revelation the other day - I'm starting to look at my closet and see the "unitaskers", and want to get them out.  Because if I wear the novelty Xmas pants, then that tells the world "this woman is foolish enough to spend her money on novelty Xmas pants" and I don't want to send out that message.  If I 'need' a funny Xmas outfit for a party, I'll...draw a reindeer with hot glue on wax paper, and pin that on a sweater I love and wear regularly.

Ah, thanks for redirecting me to this documentary! I came across it before and wanted to see but couldn't at that point and forgot about it later. Will definitely watch it.

The 'new clothing only robs me of my chance to wear the things I already have and like' came to me when I read an article about the 30 wears campaign (http://www.thesustainableedit.com/the-30-wears-campaign). I thought it would be a good idea to ask myself before buying if I would wear it at least 30 times and preferably more. Sometimes the answer cóuld be yes, IF I didn't already have some other clothing I could wear in the same way, same occasion, etc. So it would rob me of my chance to get the most out of my things already in my closet. Before, my questions were always something like 'do I really love it, can I wear it with most of my other clothes' etc, but I figured those were the wrong questions because I was overlooking something.

For some this would be extremely obvious but for some reason it wasn't yet for me. Even though I already didn't want a closet stuffed full of clothing..

I totally get the unitaskers thing. One thing I ask myself before I buy something is if I can wear it to multiple occasions/ activities, e.g. work/lounge/holiday/city trip/festival/party. The dress up or dress down thing. I have a few unitask items that I keep 'just in case' and to keep me from buying new stuff, a sparkly dress, a sparkly top, a dress suitable for a summer party/wedding and a vintage retro sixties dress for dress-up parties. I sold all the rest.

AmandaPanda

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #187 on: February 16, 2018, 10:50:29 AM »

The 'new clothing only robs me of my chance to wear the things I already have and like' came to me when I read an article about the 30 wears campaign (http://www.thesustainableedit.com/the-30-wears-campaign). I thought it would be a good idea to ask myself before buying if I would wear it at least 30 times and preferably more. Sometimes the answer cóuld be yes, IF I didn't already have some other clothing I could wear in the same way, same occasion, etc. So it would rob me of my chance to get the most out of my things already in my closet. Before, my questions were always something like 'do I really love it, can I wear it with most of my other clothes' etc, but I figured those were the wrong questions because I was overlooking something.

For some this would be extremely obvious but for some reason it wasn't yet for me. Even though I already didn't want a closet stuffed full of clothing..

I loved the 30 wears concept! I think right now only jeans meet that criteria for me, which is embarassing.  Even things I've had for a few years don't come close to 30 wears.  It's a great goal.

How do you feel about kids' clothing in with this concept?  My kids would each have about 5 outfits since they grow so fast if I wanted them to wear each thing 30 times...

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #188 on: February 16, 2018, 12:59:39 PM »

I loved the 30 wears concept! I think right now only jeans meet that criteria for me, which is embarassing.  Even things I've had for a few years don't come close to 30 wears.  It's a great goal.

How do you feel about kids' clothing in with this concept?  My kids would each have about 5 outfits since they grow so fast if I wanted them to wear each thing 30 times...

I would think I had five outfits or less growing up but I had uniform for school days...

TartanTallulah

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #189 on: February 16, 2018, 03:52:38 PM »

I would think I had five outfits or less growing up but I had uniform for school days...

I also never had more than five complete outfits at any point in childhood, excluding school uniform. I had "my trousers", not a choice of trousers, "my Sunday/party dress", "My shorts", one or two t-shirts and sweaters. My own children (all now in their twenties) had far more, especially the younger ones who had hand-me-downs. Now I get their hand-me-downs.

Most of the clothes I wear have had 30 or more wears, but there's a little section of my wardrobe that I don't wear, probably won't wear, but can't quite bring myself to ship out. Skirts intended for work which in reality are frumpy beyond belief, and anyway, I always wear black trousers to work. Shirts and jackets intended for work although my colleagues would think I was going for an interview if I turned up in anything other than t-shirts and sweaters. Silk dresses, bought second hand, intended for ... who knows? A parallel-universe me who drifts around looking decorative rather than functional?

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #190 on: February 16, 2018, 11:29:23 PM »
Oh yes, I have a pretty top in my wardrobe bought for parallel universe me! The one that doesn't have a farmer tan and can wear a strapless bra.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #191 on: February 17, 2018, 04:09:52 AM »
Feeling very vulnerable today.  DD left yesterday on a weekend school trip, taking my one pair of black work pants, and my one pair of black flats with her.  She has been known to lose things, alas.  If either of those critical members of my capsule work wardrobe were to vanish, well . . . I might have to bow out of this challenge.  Fingers crossed for their safe return.   :)

DD is super unusual by the way.  14 year old girl, doesn't care a fig for fashion, and has even fewer clothes than I do.  Which is why she ends up borrowing things from me.  Hilarious that my limited little wardrobe is actually supporting two people. 

Our 11 year old DS missed out on those genes somehow.  He is a total clothes horse, very image conscious. 

katscratch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #192 on: February 17, 2018, 08:41:12 AM »
I was very much like your DD. I had a period in high school of wishing I was into fashion so I wouldn't always look out of place ;)

The 30 wears post was a fun read. My current regularly worn clothes have been worn at least 300 times apiece. I don't wash them every time; that definitely helps the longevity.

I was thinking more about this challenge and why I find it necessary, when I don't consider myself a clothes shopper or fashion fan.

Clothes buying tends to be my biggest tell when it comes to wanting external validation. For instance, I historically will buy a new sweater or sundress and new earrings before a date with someone new.

I also could pare down my wardrobe a lot more. I've outgrown (literally and figuratively) quite a lot of items that I just haven't gotten around to booting out the door.

icecreamcat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #193 on: February 17, 2018, 10:11:15 AM »
I'm in! I don’t buy much clothes, but I’m trying to be more conscious of my consumption. I always happier when I have a plan, so here's my plan. My clothes buying triggers are 1) trips, 2) feeling like something is missing in my wardrobe, and 3) sewing. For 1) and 2), I made capsule wardrobes today. I have a trip packing checklist for a variety of trips, and I added two work capsule wardrobe sections depending on the type of trip. When I travel for work, I'm almost always the most casually dressed, and I get the itch to up my professional wardrobe before trips. However, I've been trying to remind myself that more clients ask for me than I can possibly support, and management keeps trying to promote me even though I am not interested, so it doesn't seem to be hurting my career. I already have capsules for vacations. For everyday wardrobes, I made 4 mini capsule wardrobes and set them to repeat on my calendar. I’ll choose the one I’m using for the week and delete the rest. I set it up so that even though there is overlap between capsules, I can just throw clothes in the washer at the end of the week so I’ll have the next capsule ready. I may make 1-2 clothing items from existing supplies and then plan other crafting projects for the year that use existing craft supplies.

I have about 6 pairs of socks with the heels and pads worn out. I’m going to cut out some patches and then work on sewing them while watching the Olympics. I’ve done this semi-regularly and have been able to extend the life of my favorite socks for years. My hiking backpack is getting pretty ratty, and it's really no longer appropriate for meetings with clients. I’m going to hunt around the house today and see if I can cobble together something appropriate. Worst case scenario, I’m making a laptop sleeve from existing supplies and bringing a big purse.

Sanne

• Stubble
« Reply #194 on: February 19, 2018, 01:51:39 AM »

Maybe something like project 333 would be more suitable for kids? I don't have kids so I don't know, but I guess something like trying to only having the essentials would be better than the focus on 30 wears because they grow faster.

https://nosidebar.com/project-333-kids/

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #195 on: February 19, 2018, 02:54:26 AM »
Feeling very vulnerable today.  DD left yesterday on a weekend school trip, taking my one pair of black work pants, and my one pair of black flats with her.  She has been known to lose things, alas.  If either of those critical members of my capsule work wardrobe were to vanish, well . . . I might have to bow out of this challenge.  Fingers crossed for their safe return.   :)

Both my pants and my shoes made it back -- yay! 

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #196 on: February 19, 2018, 03:21:42 AM »
My shorts have had about 400 wears I reckon and they are struggling! I need it to hurry up and be May because at least I have about 5 pairs of jeans I can rotate, assuming they still fit.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #197 on: February 19, 2018, 03:37:03 AM »

Both my pants and my shoes made it back -- yay!

What a relief!!

My shorts have had about 400 wears I reckon and they are struggling!

I read the 30 wears article and had a hard time believing anyone buys clothes *expecting* to wear them fewer than 30 times. I expect to get hundreds of wears out of my clothes, and I generally do! Your shorts comment stood out to me because I think I've probably had a similar number of wears out of my favourite dress, and I would be fucked if it gave out suddenly.

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #198 on: February 19, 2018, 04:11:29 AM »
Day wear yes, but I have wedding / evening stuff that has seen little wear, e.g. I have two dresses that I've worn twice. Realistically I should get rid of it all because it either won't fit or will be really out of style on the next occasion I need it for. 

Problem is - I looked at dress rental and all their occasion dresses are really designer fashionable & difficult to wear things. I only wear shift dresses that end just above the knee which are lined with full straps so I can wear sensible undies! They don't rent those.

Sanne

• Stubble
« Reply #199 on: February 19, 2018, 05:57:26 AM »
I read the 30 wears article and had a hard time believing anyone buys clothes *expecting* to wear them fewer than 30 times. I expect to get hundreds of wears out of my clothes, and I generally do! Your shorts comment stood out to me because I think I've probably had a similar number of wears out of my favourite dress, and I would be fucked if it gave out suddenly.

Yes, I know! I have to say though, that I didn't always do this but the last few years the 30 rule is easy for me, just by buying better, buying less and buying multi functional items. Not to mention buying items that work for me, not a future me, past me or a me that doesn't exist. Analyzing why you wear stuff of why you don't is good thing!

I was appalled by this quote: The average woman keeps a piece of clothing in her wardrobe for only 5 weeks.

WHAT!!! 5 weeks???
« Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 09:00:21 AM by Sanne »