Author Topic: Absolutely zero clothes shopping in 2018  (Read 71596 times)

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Absolutely zero clothes shopping in 2018
« Reply #100 on: January 23, 2018, 10:06:18 AM »
Part of my plan for the day is to do some mending/cleaning of things that could use some TLC.

I love not having the option to buy anything, it gives me a little mental workout on how to utilize what I have and in the end, it's all okay.
Darning socks for the first time. ha. I have a pair of knee high red wool socks that have a huge sock hole, will see what I can do with them :)

The Happy Philosopher

• Bristles
    • thehappyphilosopher
« Reply #101 on: January 23, 2018, 10:25:03 AM »
I'm in.

http://thehappyphilosopher.com/new-experiment-buy-nothing-1-year/

I started with deciding to not buy clothes, but that seemed too easy so I'm expanding it to more stuff. There are some other PF bloggers doing this (I'm too lazy to track down all the links right now...but I will eventually).

My big caveat is running shoes. If I ramp up my running I will need new pair...or two.

I'm gonna update about once a month or so you can watch and make fun of me if I fail :)

ElizaStache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #102 on: January 23, 2018, 11:16:42 AM »
I'm in! I'm cutting the habit of browsing at Goodwill for more office clothes. Some of my tops don't fit anymore, because I've gained a bit of weight, time to fix that! One of the parts of the blog (that I just finished reading from the beginning!!) that stuck out to me was that obesity is not cured via larger pants. I don't want to buy new pants because my ass is too fat for them.

I'm lucky that I have an active, decent quality Buy Nothing Facebook group, so I've been getting free clothes from the members and passing on what doesn't work.

FireHiker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #103 on: January 23, 2018, 12:59:05 PM »
I signed up both for this challenge and the one with exceptions (which haven't arisen as of yet). So far I have spent $0!

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #104 on: January 24, 2018, 05:20:20 AM »
Just thought of another challenge for me in this thread.  I have two pair of shoes for work -- black heels, and black flats.  Both pair are about two years old.   It will be a challenge to make these last another year, but I have a strategy.  I am going to wear them as little as possible to make them last.  Whenever I'm not actually in a meeting, I will slip them off and wear sneakers. 

What are they going to do, fire me for wearing sneakers?  :)

Step37

• Bristles
« Reply #105 on: January 24, 2018, 09:03:36 AM »
Facebook brought a cringe-worthy “on this day” post from eight years ago to my attention:

Step37: is going shopping....
Friend: again?
Step37: yes, I need an excuse to wear the dress I bought yesterday. This is what happens when boredom sets in.

I guess it’s good to see how far I’ve come (starting fourth year of “no shopping”), but UGH. It’s also most of the reason that this isn’t SUCH a huge challenge — I have far too many clothes to ever wear them out, and I truly have zero desire to shop.

abhe8

• Bristles
« Reply #106 on: January 24, 2018, 09:33:23 AM »
So... How do your define spending? Trading money for clothes I understand. What about spending giftcards? What about accepting free clothes, hand me downs? What about trading clothes with other people? Is the goal $0 spent in clothes, or 0 items of clothing coming into my closet?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #107 on: January 24, 2018, 10:20:55 AM »
So... How do your define spending? Trading money for clothes I understand. What about spending giftcards? What about accepting free clothes, hand me downs? What about trading clothes with other people? Is the goal $0 spent in clothes, or 0 items of clothing coming into my closet?

Interesting questions. Personally, I was hoping to reduce consumption and time wasted via shopping

So definitely no spending cash on clothes, but I wasn't opposed to clothes swaps, or making clothes from fabric I already own. Since I have cleaned out my closet to a fairly minimal level, I want to see how far I can push wearing the same things over the year, creatively accessorizing and just resting with enough, but not much more.

:) Everyone might have a different idea of what this challenge means.
 I don't want to bring in even ANY 'free' cheaply made clothing (even from a swap) but if I was gifted something well-made/or of natural fibers, that would be different.

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
  • Insert dough/bread/crust joke
« Reply #108 on: January 24, 2018, 12:12:21 PM »

It's no shopping, so that would include anything involving browsing. I think Happier's aim with the thread was to rewire her brain and stop wasting time browsing as well as the financial benefits :)

katscratch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #109 on: January 24, 2018, 12:17:08 PM »
I'm also taking this literally. No shopping including all the pieces of shopping that occur before I turn over my credit card.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #110 on: January 24, 2018, 03:24:22 PM »

I consider spending gift cards shopping.

Clothes swaps and free clothes are a grey area, but I'd lean against it. I think part of this challenge is to learn to live without acquiring anything.

If you NEED clothes this year, maybe try the Only Necessary Clothes Shopping thread?

If you don't NEED more clothes, why not go all-in and acquire nothing?

redbird

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #111 on: January 24, 2018, 03:29:08 PM »
I wish I could do this, because I hate clothes shopping, but most of my wardrobe is now old and falling apart and/or ill-fitting (both ways - some too tight, some too loose). It's at the point that I really NEED clothes that aren't underwear/socks.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #112 on: January 24, 2018, 03:43:30 PM »
I wish I could do this, because I hate clothes shopping, but most of my wardrobe is now old and falling apart and/or ill-fitting (both ways - some too tight, some too loose). It's at the point that I really NEED clothes that aren't underwear/socks.

Bugger! If you replace the items needing replacement in 2018, could you do a zero clothes shopping challenge in 2019? Something to look forward to ;-)

Brother Esau

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #113 on: January 24, 2018, 03:46:19 PM »
Totally in on this! I've gone through everything I have and see no need for any new clothes this year. Have multiples of basically everything so if something wears out, gets ruined some how, etc than no problem. Been keeping the weight pretty steady for a number of years now so changing clothes sizes shouldn't be an issue.

On a related note....committed to zero $0 spending on bike parts and maintenance this year. Again, have multiples of many things (chain lube, grips, tubes/tires, helmets, etc). Also, fortunate to possess a gift card to my local bike shop which should cover anything major like a drive train or frame failure.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #114 on: January 24, 2018, 04:12:34 PM »
Totally in on this! I've gone through everything I have and see no need for any new clothes this year. Have multiples of basically everything so if something wears out, gets ruined some how, etc than no problem. Been keeping the weight pretty steady for a number of years now so changing clothes sizes shouldn't be an issue.

On a related note....committed to zero $0 spending on bike parts and maintenance this year. Again, have multiples of many things (chain lube, grips, tubes/tires, helmets, etc). Also, fortunate to possess a gift card to my local bike shop which should cover anything major like a drive train or frame failure.

Welcome!

Sounds like you might be a good candidate for the No Gazingus Pins 2018 thread for the bike stuff? I'm over on that thread because I'm not buying any Tupperware this year (my secret addiction).

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #115 on: January 24, 2018, 04:14:35 PM »

It's no shopping, so that would include anything involving browsing. I think Happier's aim with the thread was to rewire her brain and stop wasting time browsing as well as the financial benefits :)

I'm not browsing, in person or online. I do think it's a grey area for others though. If you browse, but catch yourself before you buy anything, have you flunked out of the thread? I would argue no, you still haven't bought anything so you're still on the wagon.

abhe8

• Bristles
« Reply #116 on: January 24, 2018, 04:25:07 PM »
I'm fascinated with this thread! I certainly need to spend less time shopping. I don't spend very much money, but I deliberate and browse and consider and reconsider way too much. I'm not sure I could stand up to the challenge of a no clothes year, but just out of curiosity I checked my budget and so far this year I hadn't bought any clothes or shoes for myself. (Just my kids.) I'm f allowing along, for now at least.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #117 on: January 24, 2018, 04:47:33 PM »
C'mon, Abhe8! Join us!  You can do it. 

Brother Esau

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #118 on: January 24, 2018, 05:12:31 PM »

Welcome!

Sounds like you might be a good candidate for the No Gazingus Pins 2018 thread for the bike stuff? I'm over on that thread because I'm not buying any Tupperware this year (my secret addiction).

Thank you! checking out that thread now

Diego

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #120 on: January 26, 2018, 05:18:44 AM »
My last year's expenses in clothes were 29€. But this year I think I will have to spend a little more money, because I'm starting to commute by bike, and biking in shitty clothes is really shitty (too much sweat). I prefer to spend a few more dollars on good quality clothes.

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
  • Lovin' the Mustachian life!
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #121 on: January 26, 2018, 06:16:55 PM »
Just thought of another challenge for me in this thread.  I have two pair of shoes for work -- black heels, and black flats.  Both pair are about two years old.   It will be a challenge to make these last another year, but I have a strategy.  I am going to wear them as little as possible to make them last.  Whenever I'm not actually in a meeting, I will slip them off and wear sneakers. 

What are they going to do, fire me for wearing sneakers?  :)

Haha hopefully with a nice severance package! ;)

Step37

• Bristles
« Reply #122 on: January 26, 2018, 07:15:00 PM »
@allsummerlong, I personally would not count that as shopping. All you’re doing is exchanging a defective product. But I’m not the boss of this thread, just offering my opinion;)

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #123 on: January 26, 2018, 08:36:55 PM »
@allsummerlong, I personally would not count that as shopping. All you’re doing is exchanging a defective product. But I’m not the boss of this thread, just offering my opinion;)

I don't know whether or not I'm the boss of this thread, but I agree!

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #124 on: January 26, 2018, 08:38:46 PM »

I don't know whether or not I'm the boss of this thread, but I agree!

Makes sense to me. Seems like it’s highlighting how annoying shopping for clothes can be! ;)

LIGRECLM

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #125 on: January 26, 2018, 09:10:21 PM »
I am in UNLESS I make enough success in the "lose weight 2018" challenge. If I get to the point where I have zero bras or swimsuits that fit, I'll have to buy those, but 2 of each, period.  I would have to lose probably 20 pounds for that to be an issue though, so until that happens, I am in.  Also, I have to have 2 pairs of jeans that fit (all I currently have at the moment), so if I have a casualty and only have 1, that's a non-starter for my job, since I wear jeans every day. If I lose SOME of the weight I have jeans a size down that should fit though. And then plenty of jeans (and everything except swimsuits and bras) 2 sizes down, which is the goal.

I tried to do the no clothes 2017 but failed. I did NOT fail as badly as I have in previous years so I feel like I made really good progress there. So, count me in until I have nothing that fits!! Honestly, if I really get these damned 20 pounds off and need to buy new swimwear, I will gleefully do so.

I will do this with you! I have lots to lose but I have a TON of clothes. I love clothes shopping but I've tried to be Mustachian in my ways and only approach shopping as a targeted mission. I have to entirely avoid shopping and I really like this goal. I MIGHT even be able to get away with this for my whole family. I have a 2.5yo and I actually bought her a bunch of stuff last year in prep for this year. I am also a sewer/sewist/seamstress so I planned on sewing her some clothes. Luckily for her, I have a TON of fabric already that I should totally use up.

However, I need new underwear. I already know I do. Maybe I will allow the use of giftcards? Or maybe I will lose weight and then buy new undies? What a shithead I am, already making excuses for future spending. This is why I need this.

Good Luck!

TartanTallulah

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #126 on: January 27, 2018, 02:22:46 AM »

I will do this with you! I have lots to lose but I have a TON of clothes. I love clothes shopping but I've tried to be Mustachian in my ways and only approach shopping as a targeted mission. I have to entirely avoid shopping and I really like this goal. I MIGHT even be able to get away with this for my whole family. I have a 2.5yo and I actually bought her a bunch of stuff last year in prep for this year. I am also a sewer/sewist/seamstress so I planned on sewing her some clothes. Luckily for her, I have a TON of fabric already that I should totally use up.

However, I need new underwear. I already know I do. Maybe I will allow the use of giftcards? Or maybe I will lose weight and then buy new undies? What a shithead I am, already making excuses for future spending. This is why I need this.

Good Luck!

I had the "need new underwear" issue when I resolved not to buy clothes in 2017, and got round it by saying, "Some knickers, please," when one of my daughters asked me what I'd like as a birthday present. She bought so many pairs that it won't be a consideration this year.

I decided that the running shoes were permitted as essential sports equipment since I had little hesitation in replacing my old bike helmet last year and would replace my climbing harness and shoes if the need arose.

katscratch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #127 on: January 27, 2018, 03:32:18 PM »
I tend to look for the 100% merino offerings from companies like Ibex/Smartwool/Icebreaker because I like the feel better than the combinations, but they definitely don't hold up as well as the wrapped merino or blended merino clothing from the same companies. I find that buying the heavier weight or "winter" weight helps longevity and because it's wool I never feel too warm compared to the lighter weight material.

My last smartwool t-shirt developed holes right away from my backpack so I returned it to REI - but they will set it at their garage sale, not trash it. I have an Ibex shirt that isn't my favorite and is starting to develop holes after daily wear as a base layer for two winters, but I'm turning it into a buff (ace/neck gaiter type scarf) once it is no longer wearable. That could be an option for you if you are like me and need something over your nose/mouth for winter walks; but I'd probably try to exchange them as it sounds like they're wearing out much faster that they expect with a lifetime guarantee.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2018, 03:37:46 PM by katscratch »

LIGRECLM

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #128 on: January 27, 2018, 03:44:24 PM »

Good Luck!

I had the "need new underwear" issue when I resolved not to buy clothes in 2017, and got round it by saying, "Some knickers, please," when one of my daughters asked me what I'd like as a birthday present. She bought so many pairs that it won't be a consideration this year.

I decided that the running shoes were permitted as essential sports equipment since I had little hesitation in replacing my old bike helmet last year and would replace my climbing harness and shoes if the need arose.

Oh great idea about the undies. Valentines day is coming up, maybe I will ask my husband for undies (albeit practical ones) and skirt the rules that way.

I already know I will need some new sneakers for working out as mine are 2yearsold but I will call that more sports equipment to keep my overweight ass motivated!

Good luck to you too!

Sassociate

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #129 on: January 28, 2018, 02:13:41 AM »
Hi, so I'm super late to the party, but I'm on a clothes/shoes/accessories shopping ban this year so I figured I'd join the challenge for accountability and community 😊

I've done a yearlong clothes shopping ban before (in 2014, if I recall correctly) and actually found it surprisingly easy then.

I'm fascinated by the discussion about what "counts" as shopping - For me, the main aim is just to not spend money on clothes. However, like many of you I also joined hoping to spend less time browsing for clothes (especially online), yet I hadn't thought of it as really breaking the ban if I were to look at a few items. Last time I did a shopping ban, I pretty much automatically stopped 99% of the browsing I had been doing beforehand, so I suppose I don't really feel like it's necessary to count browsing as a violation. But I see doing that if you think you wouldn't stop looking at stuff otherwise.

To me, taking back a faulty item to the store for a replacement is pretty clearly not breaking the ban, while spending gift cards does count as shopping to me. However, I never really thought of actual gifts of clothes as breaking the ban. The way I got through the last ban was by asking for replacements for a black and a nude cami had worn out during the challenge as gifts for my birthday, and I didn't count that as breaking the ban. But I guess it depends on what the purpose of the challenge is for each participant - if you're just trying to save money, accepting gifts would be fine whereas if you're trying to learn to get by with less clothes, it does make sense to count it as a violation. If you're trying to cut back on browsing, I think it depends on whether you will use gifts as an excuse to spend time looking at clothes to ask for as gifts. If not, I'd say it's fine.

Bateaux

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #130 on: January 28, 2018, 05:56:19 AM »
I bought a Hoody.  Oh the shame.  There were Under Armour Hoody on sale for  $19.99 I paid $50 for one I've just about worn out 10 years ago.   There.  I've confessed.

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #131 on: January 28, 2018, 07:27:43 AM »
I bought a Hoody.  Oh the shame.  There were Under Armour Hoody on sale for  $19.99 I paid $50 for one I've just about worn out 10 years ago.   There.  I've confessed.

Will you move to the only necessary clothing shopping thread?

Bateaux

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #132 on: January 28, 2018, 09:24:33 AM »

Well since this is absolutely no shopping and that's only necessary shopping.  I'm not qualified for either.  Hangs head low.

CrustyBadger

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #133 on: January 28, 2018, 11:25:06 AM »
re: undies

I suppose you could sew your own?   These don't look too hard to do:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9yo1DMNBcs

wordnerd

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #134 on: January 28, 2018, 04:36:34 PM »
re: undies

I suppose you could sew your own?   These don't look too hard to do:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9yo1DMNBcs

Genius! Mentally filing this away for the future.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #135 on: January 28, 2018, 10:04:32 PM »

Well since this is absolutely no shopping and that's only necessary shopping.  I'm not qualified for either.  Hangs head low.

You could always return it ;-)

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #136 on: January 30, 2018, 03:04:58 AM »
I'm in both the No Clothes Buying and No Gazingus Pins Challenge for fabric/patterns and am now spending More Time Than Ever Before thinking about clothing.

Because really, I keep coming back to I have more than enough clothes. I've worn a virtual uniform to work for the last 5 years- one of 3 skirts with 1 of 7 tops & 1 of 3 pairs of shoes. That part is ok, it's the non-work stuff that creates the monster of too much stuff, nothing to wear.

Maybe you could create a non-work "uniform"? Think of non-work clothes in that same 'capsule' way -- at least for this year?

katscratch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #137 on: January 30, 2018, 06:25:51 AM »
I definitely have a uniform in the winter. I have a striped fleece shirt (so I think it's obvious I'm wearing the same thing) and black pants that I wear to commute, then either the black pants or black leggings with a wool skirt for social events. Even to work I've been asked if I have a date (um no I literally wear this every day) so it apparently passes co-women inspections ;)

I didn't do it for any social reason, more that good quality winter clothing is expensive (wool base layer) and I found a combination that is super comfy and keeps me warm. It was a total bonus that I don't need to be bothered about what to wear :)

ElizaStache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #138 on: January 30, 2018, 11:53:08 AM »
I've been thinking about this thread since I first posted, I've told a few people that I'm not buying clothes at all. Most people are a bit confused, like how could I deny what I need, but it's actually kind of relieving knowing I don't need any clothes for the year. It's nice knowing I have enough, and that I even have excess. I think my big challenge will be not buying merch at concerts, because I go to a lot of heavy metal shows, black T shirts are a must. I have lots of metal shirts, 5 from the same band. I can go one year without buying a shirt.

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #139 on: January 30, 2018, 09:50:18 PM »
Today I found myself mulling over a swimsuit..not that I am needing one for any reason but I lost my swim bottoms last year and the only ones I have are 10 years old and don't have much elastic left.

I don't know why, but for some reason this sprung into my mind as something to worry about even though summer is months away.. :)

Sassociate

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #140 on: January 31, 2018, 12:39:41 AM »
I'm in both the No Clothes Buying and No Gazingus Pins Challenge for fabric/patterns and am now spending More Time Than Ever Before thinking about clothing.

Because really, I keep coming back to I have more than enough clothes. I've worn a virtual uniform to work for the last 5 years- one of 3 skirts with 1 of 7 tops & 1 of 3 pairs of shoes. That part is ok, it's the non-work stuff that creates the monster of too much stuff, nothing to wear.

Maybe you could create a non-work "uniform"? Think of non-work clothes in that same 'capsule' way -- at least for this year?

I think this is a great idea - think through what you usually do in your spare time and come up with a few outfits for each activity, lay them out and snap pics on your phone or something and then you'll know it's not something you need to worry about and hopefully stop thinking about it so much. The key I think is to think about what you *usually* do in your spare time, and not worry about things that happen once or twice a year; you can deal with things like that when they come up.

Today I found myself mulling over a swimsuit..not that I am needing one for any reason but I lost my swim bottoms last year and the only ones I have are 10 years old and don't have much elastic left.

I don't know why, but for some reason this sprung into my mind as something to worry about even though summer is months away.. :)

Ugh, I know exactly what you mean about suddenly worrying about not exactly pressing scenarios! I'm participating in the weight loss challenge as well, and this week (my first) I lost a grand total of 2 lbs, and my brain is already doing the "but what if I actually lose 20 lbs and none of my clothes fit anymore??" thing. I mean, calm your tits, brain! First of all, its 2 lbs, let's not get carried away. And second, I have at least 20 items of clothing that would fit if I actually lost all that weight (because some clothes work at multiple sizes plus I have a hard time letting go of favorite jeans even if it's been 15 lbs since they last fit), so if I lose the weight, bada-bing, bada-boom, I'll be one of those fancy minimalists with a capsule wardrobe without even having to work at it.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2018, 01:18:03 AM by Sassociate »

Sanne

• Stubble
« Reply #141 on: January 31, 2018, 03:24:39 AM »
A bit late but I'm also in. I tried last year with exceptions but bought too much after I fell off the wagon. I don't need anything. If my black work pants (I have 2 ok pairs and 1 new pair) wear out, I even have enough other things to wear like skirts, dresses and other pairs of pants. I also don't need stockings, underwear (I only have 3 bra's but they still look fine after a lot of years, so even if one breaks or something I will still have two and in case of need I also have 2 sport bra's) or other extra's.

Side note is that I already bought clothing this year, in the first two weeks so I'm extending my year with the first two weeks of next year.

I need this no exceptions thing! It's so easy for me to think as things as exceptions or 'needs' otherwise.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2018, 03:26:54 AM by Sanne »

AmandaPanda

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #142 on: January 31, 2018, 07:42:23 AM »
I'm still doing this.  I made it a whole month!  I also went through a made a list of purchases allowed for the kids from now through summer, and it's helped stop a lot of unnecessary clearance purchases.

I love the idea of the work/nonwork capsules.  My struggle with that is that I have SO MANY clothes right now, and I do cycle through and wear them.  Are any of you getting rid of surplus items that you like that are in good condition, just because the amount of clothing is overwhelming?

Step37

• Bristles
« Reply #143 on: January 31, 2018, 08:45:51 AM »
I'm still doing this.  I made it a whole month!  I also went through a made a list of purchases allowed for the kids from now through summer, and it's helped stop a lot of unnecessary clearance purchases.

I love the idea of the work/nonwork capsules.  My struggle with that is that I have SO MANY clothes right now, and I do cycle through and wear them.  Are any of you getting rid of surplus items that you like that are in good condition, just because the amount of clothing is overwhelming?

Good for you!

I also love the capsule idea; but, I am in the same boat of having far too many clothes. What I’ve heard suggested (Project 333) is you select your 33 (or whatever number works for you) items for the three-month period and pack away/set aside the rest. Then pick some of the next period’s clothes out of there and cycle through that way. I think that would help to wear things out (then I don’t feel bad about getting rid of or repurposing).

I’d rather not just get rid of clothes for the sake of it. Provided they fit, are comfortable and in good shape (and not overly trendy, which I don’t really have), I’d like to make an attempt to use them. If it’s something I can sell or give to someone who will specifically use, I’m fine with letting go of things. I don’t feel good about usable things that could end in the landfill, so I hesitate to just blindly donate.

I’m also interested to hear what others are doing. I want to try the capsule idea, but I’m not going to let myself get stressed about it. Yes, I have too many clothes. However, they all fit neatly in their room (yes... room) and the space isn’t needed for anything else. Stopping adding to the problem for the past three years has helped a lot (have even worn out a few things!); losing weight so everything fits again has also helped (all usable!); consigning and selling some higher-value items has been great to ease the guilt of never using them; I’ll get to a comfortable level eventually.

haypug16

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #144 on: January 31, 2018, 08:58:35 AM »
Made it through January! 11 months to go.

I love the idea of a capsule wardrobes.

A couple weeks ago I flipped all my hangers around and I'm trying to go through and wear everything. Then at the end of the season and year I'll see what I actual wore and donate the rest.

AmandaPanda

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #145 on: January 31, 2018, 09:01:10 AM »

Good for you!

I also love the capsule idea; but, I am in the same boat of having far too many clothes. What I’ve heard suggested (Project 333) is you select your 33 (or whatever number works for you) items for the three-month period and pack away/set aside the rest. Then pick some of the next period’s clothes out of there and cycle through that way. I think that would help to wear things out (then I don’t feel bad about getting rid of or repurposing).

I’d rather not just get rid of clothes for the sake of it. Provided they fit, are comfortable and in good shape (and not overly trendy, which I don’t really have), I’d like to make an attempt to use them. If it’s something I can sell or give to someone who will specifically use, I’m fine with letting go of things. I don’t feel good about usable things that could end in the landfill, so I hesitate to just blindly donate.

I’m also interested to hear what others are doing. I want to try the capsule idea, but I’m not going to let myself get stressed about it. Yes, I have too many clothes. However, they all fit neatly in their room (yes... room) and the space isn’t needed for anything else. Stopping adding to the problem for the past three years has helped a lot (have even worn out a few things!); losing weight so everything fits again has also helped (all usable!); consigning and selling some higher-value items has been great to ease the guilt of never using them; I’ll get to a comfortable level eventually.

I think the 3 month rotation would help a lot.  Right now I've got some thin long sleeved stuff taking up room in my closet, but I haven't worn them since October/November and won't again until March.  A true seasonal capsule would help me a lot.

I am hoping that a few years of not buying anything will also just naturally thin out my wardrobe.  I'd like to slash my wardrobe by a third at least, but just getting rid of good items that fit and I like seems wasteful.  So glad someone else is in the same boat as me!

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #146 on: January 31, 2018, 03:16:58 PM »
Boom-- One month down, no purchases. 

(Confession timeI feel like a bit of an imposter in this thread, because I don't want to buy any clothes ... I don't feel nearly the same desire that some others here do.  My only challenge is just to make the few clothes I have last a year .... I felt like I should come clean, in case the OP wants to kick me out.)

Good job everyone! 

wordnerd

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #147 on: January 31, 2018, 05:32:40 PM »
Boom-- One month down, no purchases. 

(Confession timeI feel like a bit of an imposter in this thread, because I don't want to buy any clothes ... I don't feel nearly the same desire that some others here do.  My only challenge is just to make the few clothes I have last a year .... I felt like I should come clean, in case the OP wants to kick me out.)

Good job everyone!

<sheepishly raises hand in solidarity>

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
  • Insert dough/bread/crust joke
« Reply #148 on: January 31, 2018, 09:07:38 PM »
I seem to have lost my sunglasses. Uh oh.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #149 on: February 01, 2018, 04:09:03 AM »
I seem to have lost my sunglasses. Uh oh.

Ooooh, I'm sorry Fresh Bread.  I hope they turn up.  Maybe you could borrow some from a friend if they don't?

I never once thought of sunglasses as a challenge . . .  I have one pair, and now I am going to watch over them like a newborn baby.