Author Topic: Absolutely zero clothes shopping in 2018  (Read 71588 times)

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
Absolutely zero clothes shopping in 2018
« on: December 26, 2017, 12:57:39 AM »
Anyone else in for ZERO clothes shopping in 2018? No exceptions, no bending the rules.

I'm prepared for this to be uncomfortable and challenging for me. But I'm keen to make it work, and prepared to suffer just a little in the process.

Nederstash

• Bristles
Re: Absolutely zero clothes shopping in 2018
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2017, 02:55:21 AM »
I'm with you! I have so many clothes, they're just a bit too small for me. That'll motivate me to drop some pounds!

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2017, 03:07:07 AM »
I would be in but "no exceptions no rules" would need clarity on one rule. Is this on ones self or what about your kids etc.. ? I know I could do for myself especially after my xmas gifts but my kids need things over the year from time to time since they do grow, or hope too!

AmandaPanda

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2017, 12:36:18 PM »
I am down for this.  I only had one thing on my list to purchase anyway - new running shoes.  No reason I can't go ahead and order those now and start 2018 clean.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2017, 01:08:31 PM »
I would be in but "no exceptions no rules" would need clarity on one rule. Is this on ones self or what about your kids etc.. ? I know I could do for myself especially after my xmas gifts but my kids need things over the year from time to time since they do grow, or hope too!

I'm not including my child. He's seven months old, there is zero chance of him wearing the same size clothes for a full year.

DK82

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2017, 02:53:05 PM »
I'm coming up on my one year anniversary of the "turn the hangers around" exercise.  The majority of clothes hanging in my closet have not been worn in just about a year.  The purge begins in a couple weeks! 

k_to_the_v

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2017, 02:37:03 PM »
I am posting to follow. I'm aiming for 60-90 days of no clothes shopping to start the year off - basically doing a shopping detox in order to break the twitch (in the words of Anthony Ortega) and work towards more intentionality in my purchases.

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2017, 06:06:54 PM »
I am in (already had talked with my fella about this..a 'no-shopping' 2018).

This will be a good challenge for me since I really crave variety but am dismayed by the environmental impacts of textile waste..so it's a good call to action
:)

Miss Piggy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2017, 06:31:00 PM »
I am in.

I was wildly unsuccessful in 2017, which means I am more than ready for 2018. There is absolutely NOTHING I need.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2017, 06:54:21 PM »

This will be a good challenge for me since I really crave variety but am dismayed by the environmental impacts of textile waste..so it's a good call to action

I'm feeling you! I'm actually doing a full No Shopping Year in 2018 (discussion in my journal of my "rules"), partly so that when I allow myself to purchase items in 2019 I'm starting from a blank slate mentally, and can make careful decisions around buying sustainable and ethical clothes and other goods. A complete break, and then a fresh start purchasing only in line with my values.

I'm also hoping that not buying any clothes or other consumer products in 2018 will help me to focus on reducing waste (mostly plastic packaging) associated with our grocery shopping. But that's a whole 'nother topic, and I'm already off topic in this thread :-)

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2017, 07:33:43 PM »

I'm feeling you! I'm actually doing a full No Shopping Year in 2018 (discussion in my journal of my "rules"), partly so that when I allow myself to purchase items in 2019 I'm starting from a blank slate mentally, and can make careful decisions around buying sustainable and ethical clothes and other goods. A complete break, and then a fresh start purchasing only in line with my values.

I'm also hoping that not buying any clothes or other consumer products in 2018 will help me to focus on reducing waste (mostly plastic packaging) associated with our grocery shopping. But that's a whole 'nother topic, and I'm already off topic in this thread :-)

Oh exciting, we are on the same page as you! We are mostly planning on a complete no shopping year as well (things will be discussed as they come up as we may want to purchase a canoe,etc ) but mostly we also want to move towards only buying things in-line with our values and this seems like a good re-set.   Clothing is a great starter and we are also trying to bring less plastic into our home, it's a great stretch for the creative mind.  Good challenge!

nessness

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2017, 11:32:29 AM »
This is one of my new year's resolutions, with the one exception of buying new bras after I wean my baby. Since you said no exceptions, I'll just quietly lurk from the shadows. :)

FireHiker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2017, 03:23:00 PM »
I am in UNLESS I make enough success in the "lose weight 2018" challenge. If I get to the point where I have zero bras or swimsuits that fit, I'll have to buy those, but 2 of each, period.  I would have to lose probably 20 pounds for that to be an issue though, so until that happens, I am in.  Also, I have to have 2 pairs of jeans that fit (all I currently have at the moment), so if I have a casualty and only have 1, that's a non-starter for my job, since I wear jeans every day. If I lose SOME of the weight I have jeans a size down that should fit though. And then plenty of jeans (and everything except swimsuits and bras) 2 sizes down, which is the goal.

I tried to do the no clothes 2017 but failed. I did NOT fail as badly as I have in previous years so I feel like I made really good progress there. So, count me in until I have nothing that fits!! Honestly, if I really get these damned 20 pounds off and need to buy new swimwear, I will gleefully do so.

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2017, 03:29:37 PM »
I'm in. I did  extremely well for about 3 years when I first tried this a couple of years ago. Wardrobe is now replenished, so I don't need much.  Unless, like Firehiker I loose an awful lot of weight.

I think I'll join the lose weight in 2018 challenge, that way I'm going to go well in at least one of the two.

FireHiker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2017, 03:47:25 PM »
I think I'll join the lose weight in 2018 challenge, that way I'm going to go well in at least one of the two.

I love this way of looking at it! Either I buy no clothes or I lose enough weight to necessitate buying new clothes. Either way is a win!

Chavak

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2017, 04:02:10 PM »
Sure, why not. I hate clothes shopping and I wear stuff that is several years old already. Broke down and bought a sweater a month ago to keep from freezing and it should last me awhile. I hated spending money even on that (and it was cheap!).
I'm up for the challenge in 2018.

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
  • Insert dough/bread/crust joke
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2017, 04:29:12 PM »
Ok I'm in. But I really need to get some summer footwear that isn't havianas and doesn't slip off my feet (ie smart sandals) and I'm away right now so I'll have to start on Jan 7 :P

On the plus side, so you don't kick me out, I've realised that instead of shopping for more day to day t-shirt bras (I have three that have stretched & torn), I can first try and wear my fancy bras that never get an outing. No idea if they still fit but they are pretty so even though they haven't been worn in years I've never managed to chuck them out. Hubby will think I've taken a lover! Plus I've got two sports bras that I'll also wear more.

lizi

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2017, 04:55:00 PM »
I'm in! I spent $300 on regular clothes in 2017, and $300 on a winter coat. Looking over what I bought the vast majority was unnecessary. 90% of it was from thrift stores, so that is a bonus from an environmental perspective. But the things I needed to buy (dress for a wedding, clothes for a professional work environment) will carry over to the same occasions next year, so I think this challenge is realistic. When I told my SO about the challenge he rolled his eyes and said I will look like a hobo. Hopefully he is mostly joking. I figure new-to-me clothes aren't completely out of the equation though, I have long planned to start doing clothing swaps with my friends and this challenge will give me an incentive!

Bateaux

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2017, 06:11:33 PM »
In 2017 I only bought socks and bicycle gloves.  Probably going to get more socks in 2018 and might need a pack of whitey-tighty underwear.

nessness

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2017, 03:58:45 AM »
I was only planning on doing this challenge by myself but I told my husband and he wants to do it too. Woohoo!

The goal for the kids is no new clothes, but thrifted clothes are okay as necessary.

dmmms

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2017, 09:43:34 AM »
I'm in! A few years ago I combined no clothes shopping with only wearing items ONCE (work wear only & exception being black pants & shoes). I did it for 3+ months and only stopped because I missed some of my favorite clothes! I has PLENTY of clothes to do that, too!

haypug16

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2017, 05:47:12 PM »
I'm in until I hopefully get pregnant and need maternity clothes but until then I'm all set with buying more clothes!

I may do the "turn the hanger around" challenge as well. I tried that several years back and it was helpful.

hegemony

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2017, 06:33:43 PM »
I'm in too.  Although (or perhaps because) I buy almost all of my clothes secondhand, I have more than I need.  Looking back at what I bought this past year, there's a good bit more clothing than I expected.  I'd like to stem the tide, save some money, and make better use of what I already have.  I;d also like to be a lot more mindful about what I actually need, and make more ethical choices when I do make a purchase.

I'm also planning for a no shopping year for 2018, so it seems like I'm in good company.  That said, I'm also planning to do the lose weight in 2018 challenge.  Success in weight loss might mess things up a bit around not buying any clothing, but I'll deal with that later if I need to.

lemonverbena

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2017, 08:15:05 PM »
I will try my best. I feel like this should be easy for me as I literally wear a Monday outfit, Tuesday outfit, etc. every day of every week (which is very freeing and prevents me from spending too much time thinking about whether a certain item isn't flattering or isn't my style or whatever... I just put it on and am done with it)... but on the other hand I probably wear through my clothes faster than most as a result of such frequent wearing. We shall see.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2017, 10:05:34 PM »
I think it fantastic that so many people are going to join in and buy absolutely zero clothes in 2018. I'm excited to see how many of us can make it through the whole year without buying a single item.

For the people posting who are going to only buy one or two things, that's pretty cool! I wonder if maybe you need a thread for "only essential clothes shopping in 2018" or similar?

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2017, 10:24:13 PM »
Happier has got her badass game face on.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2017, 10:29:24 PM »
Happier has got her badass game face on.

I think buying fewer clothes is great, but this thread is for buying NO clothes ;-)

TartanTallulah

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2017, 11:13:13 PM »
I think it fantastic that so many people are going to join in and buy absolutely zero clothes in 2018. I'm excited to see how many of us can make it through the whole year without buying a single item.

For the people posting who are going to only buy one or two things, that's pretty cool! I wonder if maybe you need a thread for "only essential clothes shopping in 2018" or similar?

I hear you and will remove my earlier post and refrain from further posting on the thread :-)

Step37

• Bristles
« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2017, 11:55:02 PM »
Count me in. I will replace my worn-out gym shoes tomorrow or Sunday and should be able to have a No Clothes Buying 2018 without any trouble. I started a shopping ban for 2015 and, with very few exceptions to replace worn-out items (and even fewer impulse purchases), have stuck to it. In three years I’ve spent less on clothes than I’d spend on one random impulse item in the past.

It helps that I got back to my target weight during 2017, so everything in my closet fits again. There’s no possible way I could wear it all, let alone wear it all out. Maybe I’ll make a side challenge to wear out two things (and not due to stressing them with extra pounds;)!

Anyway, it’s lovely to have lost the desire to shop. I suppose it makes this challenge less challenging for me, but I appreciate having others to discuss it with. Most people just don’t get it.

recklesslysober

• Bristles
« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2017, 11:15:22 AM »
I just finished a full year of not buying clothing - only exception was outerwear for snowboarding that I only wear on the mountain and consider sports equipment. It was a great experience! I won't be doing it again right away but I just wanted to pop in and say good luck to everyone! Looking forward to reading about your progress.

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #30 on: December 30, 2017, 10:33:26 PM »
Looking forward to this challenge (and today bought the 2 pairs of underwear that I wanted to get before Jan 1st)
This is going to be tough for me, but I am interested in seeing how I can adapt.

Thanks for the encouragement everyone :)
Lovely to be doing this in a group.

Bee21

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #31 on: December 31, 2017, 01:12:08 AM »
This is one of my challenges for the year.

Unless I lose a Lot of weight. I have a pile of size 12 clothes but I will need to restock undies if that happens ☺.

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #32 on: December 31, 2017, 01:16:12 AM »
5hrs to go here on the east coast of Australia! Will try not to panic online shop, ha ha.

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
  • Lovin' the Mustachian life!
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #33 on: January 01, 2018, 06:52:41 AM »
Joining!

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #34 on: January 01, 2018, 06:58:01 AM »
5hrs to go here on the east coast of Australia! Will try not to panic online shop, ha ha.

HAHA this was me 12 hours ago!

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #35 on: January 01, 2018, 07:02:05 AM »
For those of you that crave variety, some inspiration: http://www.theuniformproject.com/

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
Absolutely zero clothes shopping in 2018
« Reply #36 on: January 01, 2018, 07:19:40 AM »
And now I will just lurk and cheer y’all on because I am buying myself a bridesmaid dress this year... and I’m not willing to NOT do that, so I won’t be buying zero clothes for 2018 - but if I can keep it down to one dress, that will be a huge personal success for me.

Good luck everyone!

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This

Bee21

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #38 on: January 01, 2018, 02:11:19 PM »
So it looks like I have a minimalistic capsule wardrobe for summer (it is hot here), as i can sqeeze myself into only 3 dresses, 3 bottoms and 3 tops.

Being fat sucks.

Anyway, I love those outfits and I have plenty to run around the house. My exercise clothes fit me, so no need to complain.

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #39 on: January 02, 2018, 11:15:23 AM »
For those of you that crave variety, some inspiration: http://www.theuniformproject.com/

Love her, I remember watching it unfold with all her accessories :)

I also remember this original 'little brown dress'..way back in 2005!
http://old.seattletimes.com/html/living/2003109318_browndress07.html

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #40 on: January 02, 2018, 11:17:25 AM »
I figure new-to-me clothes aren't completely out of the equation though, I have long planned to start doing clothing swaps with my friends and this challenge will give me an incentive!

Clothing swaps are the best! I also find I let go of things more easily when it might go to a friend.

Miss Piggy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #41 on: January 02, 2018, 07:14:47 PM »
On my Android phone, I downloaded an app (actually it's a widget) called Egg Day Widget (by Etienne Lawlor). It's on my phone's home screen now to show me how many days in a row I've purchased nothing that's non-essential. As far as I can tell, it will continue counting days for the whole year. I figure it'll be a nice way to see progress.

Related, there are other apps that count "days since..." such as sobriety apps. I liked the simplicity of the egg widget.

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #42 on: January 05, 2018, 03:25:56 PM »
Oh no, slight obstacle... I am a mystery shopper and it often involves shopping for clothes. Sometimes you return them, sometimes some of the cost is covered and you keep them (eg I spent $10.40 before Xmas and got $10 back). I was just about to accept a gig and then thought, oh wait!

GoConfidently

• Stubble
« Reply #43 on: January 05, 2018, 04:40:49 PM »
I’m in. I’ve been doing some wardrobe simplification this past year, and I’ve been wanting to wear out some things that aren’t fitting my ideal aesthetic (but are otherwise in great condition) so I can replace them without guilt. 2018 will be the year to wear it all out.

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #44 on: January 05, 2018, 05:04:33 PM »
I'm coming up on my one year anniversary of the "turn the hangers around" exercise.  The majority of clothes hanging in my closet have not been worn in just about a year.  The purge begins in a couple weeks!

OMG this is such an awesome idea! I'm going to turn the hangers around right now, and even hang up some folded things so I can turn the hangers around. We'll see what I wear! This is kind of exciting in a perverse way . . .

Absolutely no clothes or shoes purchases for me this year. Zero. Ziltch. Nil. I don't need a thing . . . not even for variety's sake. I will have to pack very wisely when I travel so I don't end up picking up a sweater or a swimsuit because I forgot to pack it!

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #45 on: January 06, 2018, 01:10:02 AM »
I am in. No exceptions.

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #46 on: January 06, 2018, 06:10:26 AM »
I got my shoes turned around and about half of my hangers turned around last night, including hanging up all of my pants & sweaters. Wow, I have A LOT of pants! The sweaters situation is more lean . . . but there shall be no more anyway.

About 5 pairs of pants are clearly too small, and one almost new pair is even too big, so into the charity pile those went along with 5 pairs of shoes and a few other things I know I won't wear again.

I put a couple pairs of heavy weight pants that I think are just tight/barely too small in the rear part of the closet figuring I can try those again next winter. Aren't we all so confident that we will lose weight? I often do trim down over the summer . . . this summer I was somewhat lazy, but it is more fun if I am not lazy.

Stay strong, anti-shoppers!

Elle 8

• Stubble
« Reply #47 on: January 06, 2018, 09:56:33 AM »
OK, I'm going to try this again this year.  I failed miserably last year.  The only thing I could possibly need is a pair of pantyhose for a wedding I'm going to (already have the dress and shoes).  I know I have at least one unopened pair but like to have a backup in case of a run.  But I'll search the house to see if there's an extra pair around before buying one.  Wish me luck; I know I'll need it!

kissthesky

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #48 on: January 06, 2018, 02:59:56 PM »
Count me in!
I think with the exceptions of running shoes & bridesmaid dresses I was pretty close to not buying any clothing last year.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #49 on: January 06, 2018, 05:08:50 PM »
Excellent gauntlet challenge if you want to cut down your clothes shopping but know you will have to buy at least one item: Only Necessary Clothes Shopping 2018