Author Topic: ☆ April 2019 ☆ Transformation Challenge (Health + Fitness)  (Read 12212 times)

use2betrix

• Handlebar Stache
Re: ☆ April 2019 ☆ Transformation Challenge (Health + Fitness)
« Reply #100 on: April 17, 2019, 10:36:42 AM »
With my first 5k coming near, I have now succumbed to some of the worst workout related injuries in my 15+ years exercising (not including the hernia surgeries, but those were straightforward).

My back that I messed up on my last set of squats at 355 a month ago has taken far longer and been far worse than expected. I went to the chiro twice with no help.

Last week, doing bench press, I messed up my right shoulder in a way I never have before, and it’s really been a hindrance now. Usually just a little tweak, was worse this time.

I think I pushed myself too hard running (a few weeks ago I ran a 10k Wednesday, Friday, then 7 miles on that Sunday) and my right shin/calf have continued to hurt.

I have slowly been reeling everything back from where it was. I’m taking ibuprofen and tylenol which as helped a lot. I’ve cut my lifting back a lot, same with cardio.

Please be careful continuing to workout with a back injury. I think those of us that workout all the time tend to try to work through injuries instead of taking needed time off to heal and rest. I think something that may seem like a minor injury can quickly snowball into something much worse if you don't take care of it. I've seen in myself and several athlete friends as we get older that we are hesitant to take time off because we don't want to lose gains we've made...or we just abhor the thought of not exercising regularly...but it can be huge for your overall health and well-being. I slipped a disc in my back doing a HIIT workout last October. It was bad enough that I just could not do much and ended up taking a full 4-5 weeks off and just letting my body heal. I then started back slowly and now I feel better than I have in years. I think lots of us tend to downplay minor aches and pains, but I learned through that time that rest and recovery can be just as important as routinely working out for your overall health. That's a really long-winded way for me to say...be careful with that back. If you're exercising with an injury, it will inevitably affect your form and could lead to injuries in other body parts and cost you much more time than if you just took the time off to let your body heal properly.

Just saw this now - thank you for the input. I definitely agree with the post and am continuing to take it easier and easier and avoiding things that work, and now avoiding large things altogether. For a few weeks after injuring during backsquat I found I was able to do front squat fine (on the smith) but then even that started to hurt. My legs the last couple weeks and until at least after my 5K will mostly just be some various leg curls, DB lunges, and seated calf raises. I avoid leg extensions anymore as they can be hard on the knee’s.

When injuring different things over the year, I’ve always been pretty diligent to just “avoid what hurts” and it has served me well. Sunday, oddly, my easy 3 mile run started to hurt my back, which has never happened.

Along with the stretching, I’m making a special point to be mindful of my posture at work, driving, etc., which also helps. Looks like now I will also be mindful of my posture while I run as well.

philli14

• Bristles
« Reply #101 on: April 19, 2019, 07:16:20 PM »
4/19

First check in in a little while. Close to 12h of sleep. First day back in the gym after a mini deload/rest period. Pull day.

1. Pullups 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1, 30sec rest between - Best this has felt in a while, still really tough
2. Seated rows 4x8 @245#, last set drop set (no rest between) 245#x8 -> 215#x8 -> 185#x8 -> 155#x8 - Up 5# from last week
3. Lateral delt raise 3x12 @15# superset with rear delt raise 3x12 @15# superset with straight arm pull down 3x10 @65# - Upped weight on straight arm pulldowns, delt work still feels ok at 15#
4. Paloff deadbugs 2x20 superset with physioball planks 2x24
5. Band bicep curls AMRAP 60sec/20 rest/40sec/20 rest/20sec - not performed today
6. Plate holds (2x10# plates pinched together in each hand), 60sec

Felt terrible today energy wise. Just absolutely gassed, felt close to vomiting throughout. But got it done, and it was a better workout on paper than last week.

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #102 on: April 20, 2019, 09:54:53 AM »
Was visiting family this week and had a slight re-injury of my back so will rest for the weekend and start up at the gym again next week! Good work everyone!

philli14

• Bristles
« Reply #103 on: April 20, 2019, 07:48:08 PM »
4/20

9h sleep. Feeling decent. Right pec feeling strained but giving it a go.

1. Bench press 5x5 @275. Absolute shit today, only managed 5/5/4/3/1. (Last week 5/5/4/4/3). Don't even think it was the pec, just didn't have the energy.
2. Alternating DB chest press 3x11 @75s. 11-11-6.. last set was just gassed. Frustrating.
3. Triple superset. Deadbug/paloff 3x20 with weighted V-ups 3x8 @25# with plyo push-up 3x10 onto 18" box. Held plyo pushups again.

Two days in a row, this time objectively and subjectively worse. Hoping it's just an anomoly and that I get back on track next week.

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #104 on: April 21, 2019, 07:16:50 AM »
Successfully Intermittent Fasting the past 3 weeks straight.

I utilize a 16-17 hour fast, followed by 7-8 hour feeding window.

Train fasted 90% of the time, regardless of weights, running, or MTB riding.

Down ~8 lbs in 24 days so far, but the next 8 will be slower to come off.

Happy Easter everyone! Make sure to Windex your food and "eat clean'.

Jim Fiction

• Stubble
« Reply #105 on: April 22, 2019, 08:39:27 AM »
Weight Tracker:
205.5 lbs (as of 4/1)
200.0 lbs (as of 4/8)
200.0 lbs (as of 4/15)
200.0 lbs (as of 4/22)

General Goals:
Stick to Low-carb/Ketoish diet
Eliminate snacking at work
Better portion control
Limit beer intake (my Achilles for sure!)
Workout 3x per week (including at least one home workout)
Get under 200 lbs by end of April

Given that Saturday we celebrated my FIL's birthday and Sunday was Easter I am happy to be at the same weight as last week. I was pretty gluttonous, so I was expecting higher. For the second week in a row, I weighed myself midweek and was actually down a few pounds, so it is becoming apparent that weekends are a bit of a trap for me. Another issue is that my wife and SIL are losing motivation, and since we started this together and meal plan and cook together, it is complicating things a bit. Thankfully we did meal-prep for the week so I know I will stick to the plan which is clearly working. I just have to watch for the weekend lapse. I was thinking of incorporating some fasting elements during the weekend to help with this, but I want to do a little reading up on that first.

On the physical activity side of things - my knee and wrist continue to slowly improve, but not to the point of doing anything full-bore so I am going to try out a light jumping jack circuit tonight to see how that goes.

Money Beets

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #106 on: April 23, 2019, 06:08:59 PM »
This weekend was not great. I now have way too much sugar on hand. My workout yesterday was rough, but I got a good HIIT workout in today and should be able to get in a number of good workouts the rest of the week.

brandon1827

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #107 on: April 24, 2019, 01:45:39 PM »
I indulged in momma's cooking when I went home for Easter dinner. I worked out 5 times last week and stayed on-plan for my diet as well, so I felt like I earned a little indulgence of food I only get to eat 3-4 times per year. Back at it this week with a pretty intense lift yesterday. Hope to get at least 2 more workouts in this week, but much will be dictated by the weather and my son's little league schedule

Anette

• Bristles
« Reply #108 on: April 24, 2019, 02:12:49 PM »
Finally checking in again:
Last week wasn't very successful but since this Monday I am part of a three week prevention program from work. I am a nurse and have a lower back problem. Luckily I went to just the right orthopedic doc. He signed me up for this three week program in a beautiful place right by the sea. Everything is paid for by the employers insurance ( because the lower back problem is common in nurses) and I am enjoying 8 hours of all sorts of sports, massage and such each day. In the late afternoons I have gone for long walks to the beach.
I am starting to feel better and hope to get a lot stronger.
The only thing missing head is a good internet connection. I paid 30 € for access to Hotspots only and that seems to only work 50% of the time.
Again thanks for all the inspiration!

Anette

• Bristles
« Reply #109 on: April 25, 2019, 01:39:43 PM »
@Sun Hat Thank you!
This program is really great and all day l had this excited grateful feeling to be here and everything is concentrated on my well-being ( at the back of my head there is this tiny voice telling me that all this is not being done for my personal well being but coined at keeping up my work abilities and keeping sick days down but I ignore this voice to be able to keep the grateful - and happiness😊)
I am feeling so much better already.

Jim Fiction

• Stubble
« Reply #110 on: April 29, 2019, 07:03:36 AM »
Weight Tracker:
205.5 lbs (as of 4/1)
200.0 lbs (as of 4/8)
200.0 lbs (as of 4/15)
200.0 lbs (as of 4/22)
198.0 lbs (as of 4/29)
197.0 lbs (as of 5/1)

General Goals:
Better portion control
Get under 190 lbs by end of May

I ticked up 2 lbs from a low of 196.0 lbs on Friday, but I remained under 200 meaning I am on pace to hit my goal for the month of April. Yay!

ON EDIT: Added my weight as of this morning (5/1) - so I officially accomplished my weight loss goal for April. I added a new goal for May - hoping to get under 190 lbs come June 1st.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2019, 06:20:31 AM by Jim Fiction »

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #111 on: May 01, 2019, 06:40:34 AM »
216.4 lbs this morning

Currently lifting weights 3-4x a week, as well as running 2x a week, and riding my MTB 1x a week.

Was 212.0 yesterday with a 7 day average of 210.1 this morning. Down 6.3 lbs with another 10.3 to go!

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #112 on: May 02, 2019, 05:22:53 AM »
You guys, my life has been a bit hectic lately, to say the least.

I have still been working toward my goals and with intermittent fasting (generally 24-40h 1x/wk) I have lost some additional weight.

128.6 this morning, but fasted, so that number will be higher once I refeed. Still! I haven’t been in the 120s since around January-February 2016, and honestly I wasn’t sure that I’d make it there again. So I’m really happy with that!

Still working out 3-4x/week. Just burnt 529cal this morning at the gym.

KEEP GOING! We are halfway there!!!

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #113 on: May 02, 2019, 05:23:40 AM »
Weight Tracker:
205.5 lbs (as of 4/1)
200.0 lbs (as of 4/8)
200.0 lbs (as of 4/15)
200.0 lbs (as of 4/22)
198.0 lbs (as of 4/29)
197.0 lbs (as of 5/1)

General Goals:
Better portion control

I ticked up 2 lbs from a low of 196.0 lbs on Friday, but I remained under 200 meaning I am on pace to hit my goal for the month of April. Yay!

ON EDIT: Added my weight as of this morning (5/1) - so I officially accomplished my weight loss goal for April. I added a new goal for May - hoping to get under 190 lbs come June 1st.
Amazing!! Congratulations, that’s excellent! Let’s do our best to get you under your goal by the end of this month! :-)

brandon1827

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #114 on: May 02, 2019, 06:28:09 AM »
I've continued IF as well and with a renewed focus on what I'm eating during my 6-8 hour eating window each day, I'm down a total of 10+ pounds in the past 30 days. Little league has taken away some of my gym time recently, but I'm still making it at least 3 times per week. My main focus this week has been increasing my water intake. Hope everyone is still going strong!

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #115 on: May 02, 2019, 08:07:40 AM »
I've continued IF as well and with a renewed focus on what I'm eating during my 6-8 hour eating window each day, I'm down a total of 10+ pounds in the past 30 days. Little league has taken away some of my gym time recently, but I'm still making it at least 3 times per week. My main focus this week has been increasing my water intake. Hope everyone is still going strong!
Nice! Hydration is super important. Thanks for the reminder - I’ll be focusing on that today too!

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #116 on: May 05, 2019, 06:03:36 AM »
I'm at 130.0 this morning, so down 3.6lbs total so far. That may not seem like much, but my starting weight was the lowest I had been in a while. 125lbs seems perfectly within reach now, and I'm excited!

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #117 on: May 05, 2019, 07:58:29 AM »
Morning Weight - 207.2
7 Day Average - 209.4

A LOT of work to do in May if I want to hit my goal by June 15th. (<200lbs)

ItsALongStory

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #118 on: May 05, 2019, 10:31:50 PM »
I joined but haven't posted yet at all. Had a week long work trip earlier this month that involved eating out every day but also a 5k middle of that week. I came back only about 2 lbs over my starting weight and have just hit a new low of 220lbs today.

Been working out at my HIIT gym with more workouts scheduled for tomorrow, Monday and Wednesday. Hoping to hit 216 by the end of the month although traveling for Easter will have a negative impact.

Been doing ok with food but could certainly clean that up a lot more.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Failed on the 216 big time, still haven't even reached that and we are 5 days into may. Lowest weight was 218.4 so far, I will try but doubt I can still make meaningful progress by Thursday when we fly out. It'll be important to stick to a decent diet and to work out while on vacation so I don't fall back too much. Goal remains 208.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Jim Fiction

• Stubble
« Reply #119 on: May 07, 2019, 07:11:30 AM »
Weight Tracker:
205.5 lbs (as of 4/1)
200.0 lbs (as of 4/8)
200.0 lbs (as of 4/15)
200.0 lbs (as of 4/22)
198.0 lbs (as of 4/29)
197.0 lbs (as of 5/1)
197.0 lbs (as of 5/6)

General Goals:
Better portion control

This past weekend we had a party to celebrate DD's first birthday... it was carb-city. Fortunately I maintained my weight from last week. Looking ahead, we have a multi-day wedding to attend this weekend, though I should be able to control the carb intake a little better as there will be a broader range of food and we won't have leftovers that I will feel obliged to eat (I hate the idea of wasting food).

Jim Fiction

• Stubble
« Reply #120 on: May 07, 2019, 07:12:17 AM »
Weight Tracker:
205.5 lbs (as of 4/1)
200.0 lbs (as of 4/8)
200.0 lbs (as of 4/15)
200.0 lbs (as of 4/22)
198.0 lbs (as of 4/29)
197.0 lbs (as of 5/1)

General Goals:
Better portion control

Amazing!! Congratulations, that’s excellent! Let’s do our best to get you under your goal by the end of this month! :-)

Thanks Lex! And congrats on your own progress!

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #121 on: May 07, 2019, 08:08:34 AM »
So I posted this in my journal, but will cross-post here since it's relevant, too.

With the exception of going out on dates, I am going to try to eat out of my pantry for the duration of this month.

What I will buy if I run out:
• Frozen Fruit
• Almond Milk

I have a ton of:
• Frozen Chicken (~10)
• Frozen Beef Patties (~8)
• Frozen Turkey Burgers (3)
• Black bean spaghetti, edamame spaghetti, and red lentil penne
• Regular Pasta
• Protein Powder
• Eggs
• Bacon
• Parmesan cheese
• Artichoke hearts (marinated)
• Palmini
• Riced cauliflower
• Frozen Spinach
• Potatoes

I have been intermittent fasting 24-40h per week. I’m also down about 10lbs this year so far (yay!).

I honestly think that this is plenty of food for me for a month, especially excluding date nights out. I’ve been eating a lot of smoothies for breakfast/dinner since it’s an easy way to get protein in.

I have been really bad about eating leftovers, so the focus will be to only make 1-2 meals at a time so the food is fresher and I’m more likely to eat it. This results in more cooking, but also less food/$ waste.

It's been going well so far. I've cooked a bunch of chicken-pesto black-bean spaghetti which I'm eating for lunches this week, I've been doing smoothies and/or coffee for breakfast, and a lot of chicken salad for dinner. It's nice to have something protein-packed ready to go, and it's also nice to not spend a ton of money on groceries. My instant pot helps a lot with this since I can cook chicken breast from frozen in about 35 minutes and then shred it up for salad.

On the exercise side of things, I've been really consistent. I've been going 4-5 times per week and have switched my cardio from treadmill to stationary bike. This is easier on my knees but I've noticed I can also consistently put forth more effort on the bike, which means more calories burnt and better results.

I haven't weighed myself in a few days so I'll make sure to do that soon, too. I feel like I'm holding pretty steady around 130, and I'll probably fast again for 24-36h at some point this week to try to break that plateau as well. For now I am trying to ensure that I'm hitting 100g protein per day, it's not as easy as I thought it'd be! But the smoothies have been helping to supplement (1/2 banana, 1-1.5c almond milk, 1 scoop protein = 240 cal/27g protein).

Hope everyone's having a good week so far! 3 weeks left to go!

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #122 on: May 10, 2019, 08:13:20 AM »
Hi guys,

took a few weeks off due to a re-aggravated back injury and now my gym pass has run out. But the weather is lovely so two days ago I went for a bike ride and yesterday I went to the forest for a mellow walk/jog (mostly walk!) for 40 minutes and did some gardening.

Today, I will do another walk.

Won't be able to weight myself but am also doing time-restricted eating using the Zero app which is really helping.
Day 3 and going well so far!

Money Beets

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #123 on: May 12, 2019, 04:23:39 PM »
The last two weeks were crazy at work, so I didn't work out as consistently as I would have liked. I did make time to do a half hour stretch routine, which felt amazing after doing five straight 12 hour days of mostly desk work. Got back in the swing of things with two solid workouts this weekend. I have a good meal plan and should be able to workout four nights this week.

brandon1827

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #124 on: May 14, 2019, 06:50:40 AM »
I've increased my gym time while maintaining focus on my diet. I'm down to 196 as of this morning, so in total, I've lost around 14 pounds since this started. My back feels great, my knees feel great, I'm noticing gains in the gym in my strength and endurance...so I'm happy with my progress and will continue working to get stronger for my October Spartan Race. Hope everyone is still going strong!

Jim Fiction

• Stubble
« Reply #125 on: May 14, 2019, 10:02:57 AM »
Weight Tracker:
205.5 lbs (as of 4/1)
200.0 lbs (as of 4/8)
200.0 lbs (as of 4/15)
200.0 lbs (as of 4/22)
198.0 lbs (as of 4/29)
197.0 lbs (as of 5/1)
197.0 lbs (as of 5/6)
200.0 lbs (as of 5/13)

General Goals:
Better portion control

I definitely went overboard at the wedding this past weekend as my most recent weigh-in shows. It is a bummer to take a step back, but I'm back into routine now so progress should continue.

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #126 on: May 14, 2019, 12:18:43 PM »
Had another run and walk, and have been doing 16/8 sessions of time-restricted eating pretty much daily.

I find this SUPER helpful since I find myself snacking into the evening which is disruptive for sleep. Somehow using the app keeps me accountable..it doesn't always work that way but so far, so good!

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #127 on: May 17, 2019, 09:54:37 AM »
I’m still hovering around 128-129. I’m thrilled about it! I haven’t been in the 120s in years so I am excited to not only see progress, but to be so close to my end goal!

My eating hasn’t been perfect, but it’s getting better. I had to take a few days off from the gym but I’m starting up again tomorrow.

All is good!

Money Beets

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #128 on: May 19, 2019, 08:27:13 AM »
Good week overall for me.  Cheated a bit on food Friday night with pizza and cheesecake, but I have pretty much rid my house of sweets so they cannot even tempt me.  I did an upper body strength workout last night and then had to trim the yard this morning and now my arms are completely spent. 

Jim Fiction

• Stubble
« Reply #129 on: May 20, 2019, 07:07:42 AM »
Weight Tracker:
205.5 lbs (as of 4/1)
200.0 lbs (as of 4/8)
200.0 lbs (as of 4/15)
200.0 lbs (as of 4/22)
198.0 lbs (as of 4/29)
197.0 lbs (as of 5/1)
197.0 lbs (as of 5/6)
200.0 lbs (as of 5/13)
199.0 lbs (as of 5/20)

General Goals:
Better portion control

I definitely went overboard at the wedding this past weekend as my most recent weigh-in shows. It is a bummer to take a step back, but I'm back into routine now so progress should continue.

Weekends continue to be a trap. Generally, I prep meals on Sunday for the week (Monday through Friday), this means Saturday and Sunday are unplanned, which leads to missteps. I either need to make more food in advance or at least have some things in the fridge or freezer that I can easily put together on the weekends.