Author Topic: ☆ April 2019 ☆ Transformation Challenge (Health + Fitness)  (Read 12211 times)

lexde

• Magnum Stache
☆ April 2019 ☆ Transformation Challenge

My gym has a biannual transformation challenge to push its members to eat better, exercise harder, and be the best version of themselves that they can be. Regrettably, I missed the sign up date in January due to illness, but I'd like to throw down the gauntlet for a transformation challenge right here at MMM.

This will be an 8-week challenge, self-directed, where your only goal is to optimize your health and fitness. Whether that means weight loss, more consistent workouts, more veggies, or just staying hydrated, is all up to YOU.

Start Date: Monday, April 1, 2019
Mid-Point: Monday, April 29, 2019
End Date: Monday, May 27, 2019

Recommended Timeline of Events:

March 26 - April 1, 2019: Initial weigh ins/assessments, introduction/goal posts, "before" photos (shared or private!)
April 1, 2019: Transformation Challenge Begins!
April 29, 2019: Mid-point weigh ins/assessments, "during" photos (shared or private!), goal update posts
May 27, 2019: Final weigh-ins/assessments, "after" photos (shared or private!), review/recap post

Please also feel free to post as often as you would like in this thread to stay accountable! Whether it's daily log posts, recipe sharing, commiserating or celebrating those victories on or off the scale - let us know what your plan is for the next 8 weeks and what you hope to gain, and then use this thread for accountability and partnership.

ItsALongStory

• Pencil Stache
Re: ☆ April 2019 ☆ Transformation Challenge (Health + Fitness)
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2019, 09:07:00 AM »
I go to that same gym and missed out on the challenge, I just got the unlimited membership and have some clear goals for the next few months so count me in.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2019, 09:11:10 AM »
I go to that same gym and missed out on the challenge, I just got the unlimited membership and have some clear goals for the next few months so count me in.

Awesome! I used to go 5x/wk but I recover much better at 4x (unlimited). Let's do this! :-)

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2019, 09:11:30 AM »
Introduction

I'm lex, 29F in the Southeast. I've been working toward financial independence for about three years now and in that time have come a long way! In "the grind" I started to lose focus on my health and wellness, so I've started to re-balance my priorities to take care of my health and nutrition. I don't want to retire early only to find that I've lost my ability to go on adventures!

Current Stats:
  • 5'5"
  • 133.6lbs*
Goals for Challenge:
  • 4 workouts per week (32 total)
  • Produce + meat focus; low-ish carb
  • No soda
  • Protein shakes in the morning
  • Lose 5lbs
  • Go to bed by 10pm; get 8+ hours of sleep every night
  • Post 2-3x/week with progress
I will be doing HIIT workouts (60 min each) 4x per week with additional accessory weightlifting 2x per week and a full rest day on Saturdays. I'll be focusing more on meal prepping for the week on Sundays and having a protein-heavy breakfast in the AM, balanced lunch, and no snacking after dinner. The only things I will be restricting out of my diet are: sodas/diet soda, refined sugars, and bread/pasta. I don't eat much of those items anyway, and have some bean-flour pasta I can sub instead.

*subject to change before first official weigh in date!

"Before" photos coming soon!
« Last Edit: March 26, 2019, 09:13:49 AM by lexde »

Bird In Hand

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2019, 10:00:36 AM »
I don't have any major transformation to undergo, but threads like this help keep me focused on things I need to do to stay as healthy as I can: eat well, sleep well, and stay active.  It looks so simple on paper!  :D

I don't want to retire early only to find that I've lost my ability to go on adventures!

That hits close to home.  Watching my own aches, pains, and other ailments add up as I get older, achieving FIRE takes on a new urgency.

Best of luck over the next 8 weeks.  Hey, it's only 2x longer than a W30 -- you can do it!

philli14

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2019, 01:21:30 PM »
I'll bite. Thanks for setting this up. I have some health/fitness goals that I set at the beginning of the year. I'll use this challenge as an 8-week injection of motivation as I start to approach the end of the honeymoon phase of goal setting for the year.

Brief Intro
25M, ~3mo into taking FI seriously. 6'2", 181#. Multi-sport athlete growing up, have always been active, though with some up and down periods due to school. Active job as DPT in outpatient orthopedic clinic. Have always been able to get away with eating as I please, have had the fortune of remaining at a steady weight. Have since started to think forward and trying to stay ahead of my health, especially considering I preach it daily at my job.

Nutrition Overview
No strict diet, but have been avoiding added sugars (none YTD) and polyunsaturated oils, especially canola/vegetable. Not strict keto, but try to limit carbohydrates in general. However, I have been upping my carb intake the last month as I had been behind on my weight goal (see below) this far into the year. In summary, lots of fat, lots of meat, "enough" produce/veggies and fewer carbohydrates than previously in my life. Supplementation consists of daily BCAA and creatine intake, pre-workout beta-alanine and caffeine.

Exercise Overview
Lift heavy, 5x weekly. Free weight, compound movements. Sufficient intensity to get heart and respiratory rate going. No cardio, except what I get when I commute using bicycle. Also participate in the occasional indoor or outdoor soccer game, which always ends with me saying I should do more focused cardio. Each gym day also involves a brief mobility/dynamic warm-up.

Current split:
MON - OFF
TUE - PULL/PUSH (Pull-ups, DB Bench, BB Rows, BB Rack Push)
WED - LEGS (BB Deadlift, KB Lunges, KB SLDL)
THU - OFF
FRI - PULL (Pull-ups, BB Rows, Delt work, Lat work, Biceps, Core)
SAT - PUSH (BB Bench, DB Bench, Plyo push-ups, Core)
SUN - LEGS (Box Jumps, BB Deadlift, Pistol Squat work, Core)

Goals
At the beginning of the year, I set a lot of goals, 5 of which were related to health/fitness:

1. Increase weight to 190# (Start: 178#)
2. Lifting goals: Bench 335, Deadlift 465, Pull-ups 30 (Start: Bench 295, HexDL 385, Pull-ups 18)
3. Perform a muscle-up (Start: not able to do)
4. >6mo of the year 100% added sugar free (Start: try to generally avoid)
5. Zero sick days at work in 2019 (Start: 0 sick days in 2018)

I will set some goals for April 1st, that will help me gauge my progress to these bigger goals:

1. Reach 185# (Current: 181#)
2. Lifting goals: Bench 285 5x5, Deadlift 415 5x3, Pull-ups 22 (Current: Bench 265 5x5, Deadlift 375 5x3, Pull-ups ?)
3. Perform a muscle-up (Current: haven't tried)
4. Remain added-sugar free (Current: no added sugar in 2019)
5. Zero sick days at work (Current: no sick days in 2019)

Looking forward to seeing everyone work hard towards their goals!
« Last Edit: March 31, 2019, 09:28:07 AM by philli14 »

Matthew82

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2019, 06:24:08 PM »
Let's see if accountability from random people on the internet is helpful.

I'm Matthew, 36yo male delivery driver from Wyoming, weighing about 215 and getting winded on 3rd floor deliveries.  I'm going to keep it super simple with no gym membership.

Height:  6'
Starting Weight:  TBD on Apr 1
Starting Photo:  TBD on Apr 1

Plan:
100 pushups a day (hopefully at once by the end)
100 situps a day (hopefully at once by the end)
100 bodyweight squats a day (hopefully at once by the end)
100 35lbs kettlebell swings a day (hopefully at once by the end)
Daily 5k run/walk (hopefully run by the end)
Nightly 12 hour fasts
Coffee and water only for beverages

Goal:
Weigh 190 lbs or less
All goals listed in plan
Clear two flights of stairs with a load without getting winded.

Tuskalusa

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2019, 06:56:02 PM »
I’m in. My gym is doing a challenge in April, so I’m going for double challenge!

49Y Female. 165 (ugh).  Goal is to lose 20 and set up a “new normal” for my diet and exercise. As someone who didn’t have to worry about her weight until recently, this has been a rude awakening. Looking forward to figuring out a new plan!

ItsALongStory

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2019, 08:16:43 PM »
Introduction

I'm itsalongstory, 37M in the Southwest. I discovered this community last fall and have been educating myself through this forum and various podcasts. Also started to do some travel hacking with the goal of joining my retired wife on some more trips. Currently at about 4-5x expenses saved so I have a long way to go. I have been overweight for probably 17 years and just want to reduce stress on my heart etc. I started around 240# back in January following a trip to Europe.

Current Stats:
  • 6'1"
  • 221.1lbs, will just use this mornings weight
Goals for Challenge:
  • 4 workouts per week (32 total)
  • Track food intake with loseit app and stay below target
  • Lose 13.1lbs by May 9th and then 1lb/week through the end of this challenge
  • Post 2-3x/week with progress
I will also be doing HIIT workouts (45-60 min each) 4x per week with additional exercise such as running, volleyball or skiing throughout the week.

Anette

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2019, 05:12:51 AM »
I'll join!
48 f
Two mentally ill teenagers ( schizophrenia, depression)  living at home right now, which is very emotionally draining and unfortunately I seem to be helping myself by eating when drained / frustrated. So now I got myself to 80kg ( 160+ pounds) and I am only 164 cm.
Also our oldest daughter would be 27 years old today, but she died in an accident in 2011.
It feels like my husband and I are barely surviving between work schedules, therapeutic appointments for the daughters... Which seems an excuse for bad eating and overeating habits and not enough exercise.
We will give trying to break the cycle a go, as this life style only weakens us.
We have planned to go without wheat, milk(products) and added sugars starting on the 1 of April, one of the daughters wants to join us, the other I am not certain about.
I am excited about this and this thread will be a great help keeping me going. Thanks!
« Last Edit: March 27, 2019, 05:22:53 AM by Anette »

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2019, 05:55:18 AM »
I'm down like Charlie Brown.

31 Years old
6'0"
216.4 lbs this morning

Currently lifting weights 3-4x a week, as well as running 2x a week, and riding my MTB 1x a week.

Biggest hurdle for me has always been my diet. If I can control my calories my weight tends to cooperate. I feel/perform my best right under the 200 lb mark.

16 lbs in 8 weeks is very reasonable, I'm going to start today though.

In the past I've had great success with adherence through intermittent fasting. The hardest part is always the first 7 days, and I already fucked it up with some cookies w/ morning coffee today......so I'll start that tomorrow.

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2019, 10:35:02 AM »
I'll join!
48 f
Two mentally ill teenagers ( schizophrenia, depression)  living at home right now, which is very emotionally draining and unfortunately I seem to be helping myself by eating when drained / frustrated. So now I got myself to 80kg ( 160+ pounds) and I am only 164 cm.
Also our oldest daughter would be 27 years old today, but she died in an accident in 2011.
It feels like my husband and I are barely surviving between work schedules, therapeutic appointments for the daughters... Which seems an excuse for bad eating and overeating habits and not enough exercise.
We will give trying to break the cycle a go, as this life style only weakens us.
We have planned to go without wheat, milk(products) and added sugars starting on the 1 of April, one of the daughters wants to join us, the other I am not certain about.
I am excited about this and this thread will be a great help keeping me going. Thanks!
I'm so sorry to hear about your trials at home. Mental illness is incredibly difficult, not just for those suffering but for those who caregive and/or are just around those regularly. On top of your loss... I can't even imagine. I hope that we can help you and your husband, and feel free to DM me for additional accountability/buddy if you need to. <3 We are all here for you!

paperclip

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2019, 06:06:44 AM »
100 pushups a day (hopefully at once by the end)
100 situps a day (hopefully at once by the end)
100 bodyweight squats a day (hopefully at once by the end)

One Punch Man???

(if you have no idea what I'm talking about: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7rBDKrWprU )

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2019, 06:22:39 AM »
Things are going swimmingly already. I'm actually up .6 lb today and getting sick!

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2019, 07:19:48 AM »
Things are going swimmingly already. I'm actually up .6 lb today and getting sick!
Hey, this is a marathon, not a sprint! You'll have time to kick your cold's butt (and the scale's butt, too!) no problem. In the meantime, take care of yourself! :-)

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2019, 07:57:46 AM »
T-Minus 4 Days

I'm getting a bit of a head start just by getting myself together, planning some meals ahead of time, and trying to build a decent foundation. So... here goes! I'm going to try to post daily, or if not, several times per week. I think it will help reinforce the habit. I also strongly encourage everyone to respond to others' posts for encouragement, support, and general commiseration. :-)

Exercise
  • HIIT 60 minutes - 480 cal burnt (1.8 miles)
Nutrition
  • Preworkout: Coffee + Nutpods creamer (10cal, 0g protein)
  • Breakfast: Strawberry-banana protein smoothie (300cal, 30g protein)
  • Lunch: Black bean rotini + pesto + rotisserie chicken (780cal, 46g protein)
  • Dinner: Hamburg steak, artichokes (380cal, 22g protein)
Total: 1,470 cal, 98g protein

Anette

• Bristles
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2019, 09:05:09 AM »
Thank you for the encouragement!
All of you have these great workout plans already, I have to admit I am starting slowly here.
Yesterday ( as well as the three days before that) I managed to go for a full hour walk in our nearby woods. Felt really good, especially with spring slowly getting here. That's sort of a "couch to the woods" move :)
I have a rebounder, that I regularly used ( just 15 min/day) throughout the winter but couldn't find any motivation to get on for the past three weeks. I am hoping to use it again soon. I find that I develop a routine while I am off work and then my nightshift starts and it does not seem sustainable through that. It's usually 7 nights in a row and I have a hard time getting started again when off( working 66% part time). Last night was working and I am not certain I will have/make time for my walk today.
Anyway, you are a great inspiration to me!
During the next days I will follow your  idea lease and meal plan for next week!

Matthew82

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2019, 12:39:48 PM »
One Punch Man???

(if you have no idea what I'm talking about: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7rBDKrWprU )

I wasn't familiar with it, but I guess I came by my strategy the same way.  I just saw a bunch of "100" challenges and decided to combine them.

Money Beets

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2019, 07:16:35 PM »
I am in.  32F 5'7" 130.4lbs.  My goal isn't necessarily weight loss, but I need to strength and tone what I have.  I have access to a small gym in my office, which is helpful since winter refuses to be over.  I also need to stick with healthier eating.  I have a hard time avoiding sweets at work, but I have gotten much better at home.  I am trying to focus on getting more veggies and protein in my diet.  Spring is typically a hard time to maintain diet and exercise for me due to busier work schedules for me and my spouse, but my sister in law is getting married in early June, so I am using that as extra motivation.

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2019, 05:25:19 AM »

Day 1

Good morning and happy April, everyone! Let’s get this challenge underway!

HERE is my “before” photo.

Starting Stats
  • 135.0lbs (went up from last week!)
  • 29F
  • 5’5"
Exercise
  • HIIT 60 minutes - 435 cal burnt (1.02 miles)
Nutrition
  • Preworkout: Coffee + Nutpods creamer (10cal, 0g protein)
  • Breakfast: Strawberry-banana protein smoothie (300cal, 30g protein)
  • Lunch: Beef patty with cauliflower gnocchi (~650 cal, ~30g protein)
  • Dinner: Hamburg steak, artichokes (380cal, 22g protein)
Total: 1,340 cal, 82g protein*
*math may be off as I’m brain dead from the gym.

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2019, 06:07:26 AM »
Looking jacked Lex!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2019, 07:49:43 AM »
Looking jacked Lex!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Still need to cut some weight. Ideally ~128 at the end of all of this, but we’ll see! :-)

JanetJackson

• Pencil Stache
    • How I actually made $50 just for taking a survey and being in the healthcare marketplace
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2019, 08:25:34 AM »
I'm in!

My goals are fairly straightforward and perhaps even a little odd, but here we goooooo!

Goals

1. Gym 3x/wk minimum I've been maintaining this for a good while, but my goal is no slip ups for this 8 week challenge.

2. DO NOT COMPLAIN while I am at the gym.  Extended sighs count as complaining.  I'll allow myself to complain before or after, but not during class or anywhere near my coach.  I go to a crossfit gym, and sometimes part of our social language is complaining together, and I am a solid participator in that complain-train... but not for April and May!! :)

3. 300lb Deadlift.  I'm in a Deadlift fundraiser in June, so this times out perfectly.  My goal is to be in the 300 range.  My max is very inconsistent these days, but floats around 260-270.

4. Use my stovetop ONCE per week minimum.  I just got a gas stove for the first time and am terrified of it and don't know how to cook on it.  I've used the oven, but the stove, now almost a MONTH after moving in, goes unused.  This is causing me to microwave everything, skip meals, overeat other weird things, and just generally eat less optimally.  But I am legitimately scared of it.  Ha.  I'm ridiculous- but I am what I am. 

Matthew82

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2019, 02:14:55 PM »
Day 1
Height: 6'
Weight: 215.8
Photo:  I'll hold on to that for now.

Plan:
Woke up with a major set-back before I even started.  A tendon injury that I thought was healed up is giving me trouble.  Brightside, I listened to a podcast last night  on the topic of fasting, so I'm going to try starting with that while I can't work out and spend more time with casual movements.  The longest I've ever lasted on a fast was 25 hours, but I'm hoping to measure this one in days.

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2019, 02:51:20 PM »
Day 1
Height: 6'
Weight: 215.8
Photo:  I'll hold on to that for now.

Plan:
Woke up with a major set-back before I even started.  A tendon injury that I thought was healed up is giving me trouble.  Brightside, I listened to a podcast last night  on the topic of fasting, so I'm going to try starting with that while I can't work out and spend more time with casual movements.  The longest I've ever lasted on a fast was 25 hours, but I'm hoping to measure this one in days.
I’ve never fasted that long - please keep us posted!

Percolate

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2019, 11:43:43 PM »
I'm gonna give this a shot! Accomplished a lot of my health goals in 2018, but have been backsliding the first quarter of this year, aiming to get back on track.

Starting stats

- Weight: 162.4 lb
- Body Fat: 19.7%
- Fat Mass: 32.1 lb
- Waist: 34.75 in
- Before photo: https://imgur.com/FA1EgAf

Goals

- Daily mindfulness meditation and/or yoga - needed for mental health purposes, but when I'm good about this, I tend to be better about other goals too. At times consistent meditation has allowed to me to wake up with 5-6 hours of sleep while feeling totally rested. Having that again would be awesome, but isn't the type of thing you're supposed to hope for with this practice.
- Lose 10 lb (8 lb fat mass)
- Lose 2% body fat
- Lose 1.5 inches off waist
- Whole food plant based diet (with whey protein shakes as an exception) - Did this for a month last year, and it worked wonders on my bloodwork. Daily tracking through MyFitnessPal, with the additional mustachian goal of a $150 food budget per month, so $300 for this challenge.
- 10K steps daily, and a workout of some kind every day, either weightlifting, playing basketball, HIIT, or trying something new through ClassPass
- Sleep before 11 PM (already messed this one up today...)

philli14

• Bristles
« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2019, 09:19:15 AM »
Day 1 (4/1):

Not much to report, as it was my day off. Felt like I ate a decent amount, biked into work (5.1 miles roundtrip). 9 hours of sleep.

Day 2 (4/2):

Early morning lift (4:30AM). 7.5 hours of sleep.

Push/Pull day. Quick pre-workout, biked to the gym. 5-10 minute dynamic warmup then got into the lift.

Pull-ups (13 sets, 30sec rest between sets). Rep scheme: 1/2/3/4/5/6/7/6/5/4/3/2/1
Dumbbell Chest press (5 sets, 3min rest between sets). Rep scheme: 5x7, 110# dumbbells for 7/7/7/5/4
Seated machine row (4 sets, 1.5min rest between sets). Rep scheme: 4x8, 245# for 8/8/8/8
Rack pushes (3 sets, 3min rest between sets). Rep scheme: 3x8, 295#/305#/315# for 8/8/6

Felt pretty good about this lift. Pull-ups went well, finished the sets in under 7 minutes. The 110# dumbbells are the highest that my gym has, so instead of staying at 5x5 and going higher weight I'm forced to increase weight. Near-future goal with this one is 5x10 with 110#s. Rows went well, I cheat pretty heavily in that it is a full body row, so I get legs and lower back involved. Rack pushes are my triceps finisher, I take a relatively narrow grip. Also helps with lockout for bench press.

Quick shower, thiccc protein shake, then back onto the bike to work. Weigh-in at 181#.

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2019, 09:53:45 AM »
Day 2

I’m glad to see so many people joining in! Day 2 is here — let’s do our best!

Weigh-In
  • 135.0lbs (-0.0 this week; -0.0 overall)
Exercise
  • Rest Day
  • Plan to stretch/yoga for 15 minutes after work
Nutrition
  • Inspired by @Matthew82 to try fasting today. Black coffee, sparkling water, lots of water with lemon/lime, and early bedtime tonight!*

*Just as a quick disclaimer - I am using a short fast as a chance to mentally and physically reset, and am not viewing it as restrictive or unhealthy or a way to lose weight faster.

brandon1827

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2019, 11:00:14 AM »
Unfortunately for me, I didn't stumble upon this thread until today (4/2) so I'll be a little behind the curve.

I'm Brandon, 43 y/o male in Tennessee. I've been an athlete since grade school, but let myself go a bit in college. Through a combination of lots of beer drinking and late night food runs I managed to get up to around 250 pounds. Fast forward to the news that I was going to be a father; which was a great motivator to get myself into shape. I picked up running and started to control my diet better and eventually got down to 185 pounds. My son is now 9 and I've managed to keep my weight under 210 pounds, but I fluctuate. I'm going to run home and weigh myself on my lunch break to get a starting weight for this challenge. I've also recently signed up for my second Tough Mudder (scheduled for October), so this will just be a good kick start and some added motivation for me.

My goals are: To get down to at least 190-195 pounds, workout at least 4 times per week, continue a 16-8 intermittent fasting plan (recently started), & get to bed before 10:00 p.m. every night.

I'll report back in a little while with my starting weight. Thanks for posting this and I look forward to following everyone's progress in the coming weeks!

Edit: Starting weight is 209.8

Not sure if 190 is achievable in 8 weeks, but I'm gonna give it a go!
« Last Edit: April 02, 2019, 12:17:11 PM by brandon1827 »

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2019, 12:07:22 PM »
I like this!  I think I will visit this thread for motivation, but can I just be lazy and not join?

I'm 48F.
I have no idea what I weigh.  Our bathroom scale broke a few months ago, and we never replaced it.  Probably should, if for no other reason than to keep track of how our boys (13 and 6) are growing!
Mostly, my pants fit?  Before the scale broke, I was prob around 132 lbs.  I seem to stay between 131 and 136. 

I am currently training for a half marathon that is in early May, so my workout schedule involves 3 days/ week running, 1 day/ week weight training (which is new-ish, and one reason why I don't really care about the scale), 1 day/ week hip+core workout for running (which is also weight training). 

The only thing I want to "transform" is to cut back on the chocolate.  I built up a bit of a habit over spring break.  I've also been eating a lot more carbs lately, but with the increased running, I'm finding it necessary.

Jim Fiction

• Stubble
« Reply #30 on: April 02, 2019, 12:19:23 PM »
Excellent idea and perfect timing - my wife, SIL and myself decided this past weekend to commit to low-carb/Keto for the month (and perhaps beyond).

About Me:

Jim!
34 yr old male
6 ft
205.5 lbs (as of 4/1)

General Goals:

Stick to Low-carb/Ketoish diet
Eliminate snacking at work
Better portion control
Limit beer intake (my Achilles for sure!)
Workout 3x per week (including at least one home workout)
Get under 200 lbs by end of April

When I was 25 I met the woman who would eventually become my wife. At the time I weighed 145 lbs, so the intervening 9 years I have managed to pack on 60 lbs(!!!). For years I've talked about needing to do something, but this year I broke the 200 pound threshold and reality is sinking in that I need to actually take action and make some serious changes in order to ensure my long-term health.

I can stick to the diet - I've done whole 30 months a few times before. Eliminating snacking should be relatively easy, as well. I used to rarely ever snack at work, but since changing jobs this past summer I got in the bad habit of snacking along with the rest of my team. Portion control should also be relatively easy - we cook for the week on Sunday and pre-portion everything. Limiting beer will be tougher, I LOVE beer. It also doubles as a hobby/social life for me. I take great pleasure not just in drinking beer but in seeking out and trying new stuff, visiting breweries, talking about it with friends and trading/sharing beers. Working out will also be tough - I have a gym membership but its not convenient to get to during the week. I've done some home work outs as recently as a few months ago but the sleep patterns/tendencies of my almost 1 year old daughter shifted so it has made it difficult to do it regularly. Still, I know I can be better, it is simply a matter of adapting and that is also why I am starting off with one at home work out during the week in conjunction with going to the gym on the weekends. Hopefully all of these changes will allow me to start shedding the weight and reconfigure my body.

I am looking forward to reading about everyone's strategies and tracking progress. I plan to check in weekly (weigh-ins every Monday), at the end of the month I will re-assess my plans and adjust accordingly for the remaining leg of the challenge. Best of luck to all!

JanetJackson

• Pencil Stache
    • How I actually made $50 just for taking a survey and being in the healthcare marketplace
« Reply #31 on: April 02, 2019, 12:22:23 PM »
Day Two!

Goals

1. Gym 3x/wk minimum I've been maintaining this for a good while, but my goal is no slip ups for this 8 week challenge.
Day two of the gym this week.  I'll certainly get my 3x/wk in this week.  Plus I don't typically go on Tuesday, so that was a win.  The workout was AWFUL, but I did better than expected.

2. DO NOT COMPLAIN while I am at the gym.  Extended sighs count as complaining.  I'll allow myself to complain before or after, but not during class or anywhere near my coach.  I go to a crossfit gym, and sometimes part of our social language is complaining together, and I am a solid participator in that complain-train... but not for April and May!! :)
Succeed in this today.

3. 300lb Deadlift.  I'm in a Deadlift fundraiser in June, so this times out perfectly.  My goal is to be in the 300 range.  My max is very inconsistent these days, but floats around 260-270.
Did not work on this today.

4. Use my stovetop ONCE per week minimum.  I just got a gas stove for the first time and am terrified of it and don't know how to cook on it.  I've used the oven, but the stove, now almost a MONTH after moving in, goes unused.  This is causing me to microwave everything, skip meals, overeat other weird things, and just generally eat less optimally.  But I am legitimately scared of it.  Ha.  I'm ridiculous- but I am what I am.
Used my stovetop last night! Made soybean noodles with garlic roasted broccoli.  This was a big win.

use2betrix

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #32 on: April 02, 2019, 03:05:18 PM »
Current Stats
5’9”
30 years old
181.9lbs
Bench Press 255x6
Squat 355x5 (Threw my back out hard 3-4 weeks ago, have been dealing with pain since, have been to chiro twice, this likely will take more time to recover)
Current Run PR’s: 2 miles in 13:42 and 7 miles in 57:52
I started running over 1-2 miles for the first time in my life last summer. Starting to get more serious

Goals for the Challenge
-  I have my first 5k in early May. My main goal is sub 22 minutes, I would be content with under 23     minutes.
-  I would ideally be able to drop down to 175 lbs, but definitely below 180. I also want to maintain my strength along with the speed.
-  I plan to continue with 2 weight lifting sessions per week and 4 runs. Each weightlifting session is 65-80 minutes. Each week will have 1 long run (6-8 miles) 2 recovery runs (3-5 miles) and one track/speed workout (3-5 miles)
-  My diet has been 90% of perfect for years. Every meal is measured, balanced, and planned. I have one mild cheat meal each dinner (sushi, Thai, burger/fries, etc.) and usually a few glasses of wine each week. I usually also have some ice cream. I may need to clean it up overall just a tad to drop those few lbs, but maintaining my strength is as important as increasing run times. It’s a very tricky balance.
-  My biggest hurdle right now is this back injury I have been nursing 3-4 weeks. Fortunately it doesn’t impact my running, but it does impact my heavy squats. I can still do front squats, and most all other exercises, just primarily pain when I bend over. I’ve been to the chiro twice, will continue another month or two before seeing a doctor.

-  I don’t mind posting a photo, but in previous threads fitness related pics don’t typically seem very welcomed lol.

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #33 on: April 02, 2019, 03:07:41 PM »
Current Stats
5’9”
30 years old
181.9lbs
Bench Press 255x6
Squat 355x5 (Threw my back out hard 3-4 weeks ago, have been dealing with pain since, have been to chiro twice, this likely will take more time to recover)
Current Run PR’s: 2 miles in 13:42 and 7 miles in 57:52
I started running over 1-2 miles for the first time in my life last summer. Starting to get more serious

Goals for the Challenge
-  I have my first 5k in early May. My main goal is sub 22 minutes, I would be content with under 23     minutes.
-  I would ideally be able to drop down to 175 lbs, but definitely below 180. I also want to maintain my strength along with the speed.
-  I plan to continue with 2 weight lifting sessions per week and 4 runs. Each weightlifting session is 65-80 minutes. Each week will have 1 long run (6-8 miles) 2 recovery runs (3-5 miles) and one track/speed workout (3-5 miles)
-  My diet has been 90% of perfect for years. Every meal is measured, balanced, and planned. I have one mild cheat meal each dinner (sushi, Thai, burger/fries, etc.) and usually a few glasses of wine each week. I usually also have some ice cream. I may need to clean it up overall just a tad to drop those few lbs, but maintaining my strength is as important as increasing run times. It’s a very trick balance.
-  My biggest hurdle right now is this back injury I have been nursing 3-4 weeks. Fortunately it doesn’t impact my running, but it does impact my heavy squats. I can still do front squats, and most all other exercises, just primarily pain when I bend over. I’ve been to the chiro twice, will continue another month or two before seeing a doctor.

-  I don’t mind posting a photo, but in previous threads fitness related pics don’t typically seem very welcomed lol.
Welcome! Feel free to post pics here. I did. This is a health and fitness specific thread so you are free to post as you’d like. :-)

use2betrix

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #34 on: April 02, 2019, 07:13:18 PM »
Ok so I couldn’t totally figure out the whole hyperlink thing, but I think I at least got this link to work so it doesn’t show up as a thumbnail.

Here’s a before pic as of this evening:
https://m.imgur.com/a/uSupGRv

Definitely feel a bit off and notice a big difference between where I’m at now and the 3 lbs lower where I like to be (it doesn’t sound like much but 3 lbs of fat is actually a decent amount to lose, especially where it comes off me). I’d love to get down 6-7 lbs though.

Hopefully the next 5 weeks up to my 5K will get me where I want to be. After that I may pick back up on the lifting a bit more for the summer but we’ll see.

Great thread idea, love working harder to hold myself accountable!
« Last Edit: April 02, 2019, 09:08:06 PM by use2betrix »

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #35 on: April 03, 2019, 07:06:27 AM »
Day 3

What are you guys doing to further your goals today? :-)

Weigh-In
  • 133.0lbs (-2.0 this week; -2.0 overall)
Exercise
  • Rest Day
  • Plan to stretch/yoga for 15 minutes after work
Nutrition
  • Finishing up my fast at 12:30 (40 hours). Work lunch is being catered today, will probably be about 1200 calories so I will split that into lunch and dinner and have some extra protein after.

Overall things are going well. Thursday and Friday I will be doing HIIT and then Saturday is a rest day. I’m trying to drink more regular water and to wean a bit off of LaCroix. I still haven’t had any diet soda since I quit cold turkey 2 months ago, so I’m happy about that! :-)

coffeefueled

• Stubble
« Reply #36 on: April 03, 2019, 08:34:44 AM »
Joining late, but so glad this thread exists. I think it's great to see everyone's varied fitness goals and ways of working out. Looking forward to sharing the motivation and excited to see some other people who like to pick up heavy objects.

I'm getting married in June and want to be back to feeling crazy good. Husband-to-be is a dedicated powerlifter. I had a pretty good routine going for a year or so then completely fell off the wagon over the last 6-9 month in the craziness of new house/new job/winter etc. Insert all the excuses here. My biggest hurdle will be overcoming the inertia to get out of my cube and go to the gym.

36F (birthday this month woo)
~120lbs

Long-term:
I'd like to be back to deadlifting 5x5 in the 115-125lb range and to break my previous 140lb max.
Get my flexibility back.
Hold a handstand

Weekly Goals:
 - deadlift and squats each week
 - eat enough protein
 - yoga or other flexibility work

brandon1827

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #37 on: April 03, 2019, 10:14:49 AM »
Work toward my goals today:
- Will complete a 16-hour fast at 12:00 noon
- 60-minute HIIT workout after work
- Plan to stay under 2,000 calories for the day

philli14

• Bristles
« Reply #38 on: April 03, 2019, 10:30:55 AM »
Day 3

Solid 9 hours of sleep. Biked into work. After work will bike straight to gym for leg day. No weigh-in today.

Update:
Leg day went... ok. I don't like lifting after work, my energy levels are typically down after a 11h work-day, and I don't like to drink pre-workout this close to bedtime. Still managed to hit 5x5 deadlift at 355, then called an audible and did some kettlebell bulgarian split squats, as I've been thinking about reintroducing these for some time. Typically I do them with the barbell, but racks were full so I went with kettlebells. Felt good. Think I'll add these to leg day permanently.

Been battling some weird L hip flexor pain and some bilateral posterior tibialis discomfort, but I had a coworker mob my hip at lunch and I taped myself up before the lift so felt pretty good. Low back a little tense after the lift but not too bad.

Hope everyone has great success re: their goals today. If you don't, at least you're more conscious about it than you would otherwise be, and hopefully that serves as motivation for tomorrow to be better.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2019, 09:14:27 PM by philli14 »

use2betrix

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #39 on: April 03, 2019, 11:47:09 AM »
Today:

Apple for 9 a.m. snack
11 a.m. chicken and green beans
2:30 p.m. - rice, beef, beans, salsa
4:30 p.m. - oatmeal
6 p.m. - track workout (1 mile warm up then either three - 1 mile runs, or six 800m runs, then 1 mile cool down) Hoping for weather to hold out, show’s 50% rain which could impact plans
After run - either just a whey shake or if I really need recovery, i’ll have 2 scoops protein, 2 cups milk, 1 banana, glutamine
8:30 p.m. - Omlette or some other low-no carb dinner

This morning I stepped on the scale at 180.0. Down 1.8 lbs this week, but I have a feeling I was higher early this week from having more salt (retaining water) with the chicken pad Thai I had Saturday night. I’d love to be able to drop a lb a week until my race, but I also need to make sure I have enough food to fuel my workouts and recovery.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #40 on: April 03, 2019, 03:02:03 PM »
Today:
- 8.5 hours of sleep
- 30 min hip/core workout at the gym.  It was HARD today, yo.  I'm sure I'm going to have a hard time moving tomorrow.
- 30 min walk at lunch (I call it "walking off the crazies")

philli14

• Bristles
« Reply #41 on: April 03, 2019, 03:15:29 PM »
- 30 min hip/core workout at the gym.  It was HARD today, yo.  I'm sure I'm going to have a hard time moving tomorrow.

Curious as to what this entails. Mind sharing details when you get a chance?

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
  • Expat Brit living in the New World..:)
« Reply #42 on: April 03, 2019, 05:51:07 PM »
Day Two!

Goals

Day two of the gym this week.  I'll certainly get my 3x/wk in this week.  Plus I don't typically go on Tuesday, so that was a win.  The workout was AWFUL, but I did better than expected.

Succeed in this today.

Did not work on this today.

Used my stovetop last night! Made soybean noodles with garlic roasted broccoli.  This was a big win.

Can you elaborate on why you are scared of your stovetop?

I'm an experienced mechanical engineer so I'm hoping that maybe some technical facts might help you a little?

Is the stovetop powered by natural gas (i.e from the utility supplied gas supply to your house) or by propane?

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #43 on: April 03, 2019, 06:56:21 PM »
Joining in--

Just renewed my gym pass today and am eager to increase activity as I feel the last 3 months were waylaid by injuries/illness/travel

Starting
39 y F
155 lbs
general good health, would like to increase consistency of activity and lose 6-8lbs in 8 weeks
-will aim for going to the gym 3-4 times/week
-home yoga 3 times/week
-walks with friends 1-2 week

Today I spent time at the gym doing cardio & leg/hip strength & just completed Day 1 of Yoga with Adriene's 30 day challenge 2019

Good work everyone! Looking forward to hearing about your progress :)

JanetJackson

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #44 on: April 03, 2019, 07:37:06 PM »
Day Three!

Goals

Day three was today.  Went well.  I'll also go on Friday.

I let myself slip for one complaint today, but otherwise succeed in this today.

Worked on DLs today and they went well.  I used the appropriate rep scheme to work toward 300 soon.

I've already met this quota.  Have not used it again this week, but have eaten well.

--------------------------------------------------------------

@Exflyboy

I'm an experienced mechanical engineer so I'm hoping that maybe some technical facts might help you a little?

Is the stovetop powered by natural gas (i.e from the utility supplied gas supply to your house) or by propane?

Sure.  I had a firefighter over the other night (a friends spouse, I was hosting a small bonfire), and she assured me that it looks great and is very safe.  It's a natural gas stove with gas utility service to the house.  I've never had a gas stove before and the open flame scares the crap out of me.  The natural gas in general kind of does too, but I'm getting used to it. 
I have gas heat, a gas water heater, and a gas stove.  I'm ok with the heat if I don't think about it too much, I'm ok with the water heater since it's brand new, but for some reason because I can SEE the flame on the stove it makes me exceptionally nervous.  It's anxiety, it's not a 'real' issue with the stove, fyi.

Thanks for offering to help! :) I want to use it more so that I can make more/different/perhaps healthier meals, but I find myself not wanting to.  Time will help, I think.

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
  • Expat Brit living in the New World..:)
« Reply #45 on: April 03, 2019, 08:18:02 PM »
Day Three!

Goals

Day three was today.  Went well.  I'll also go on Friday.

I let myself slip for one complaint today, but otherwise succeed in this today.

Worked on DLs today and they went well.  I used the appropriate rep scheme to work toward 300 soon.

I've already met this quota.  Have not used it again this week, but have eaten well.

--------------------------------------------------------------

@Exflyboy

Sure.  I had a firefighter over the other night (a friends spouse, I was hosting a small bonfire), and she assured me that it looks great and is very safe.  It's a natural gas stove with gas utility service to the house.  I've never had a gas stove before and the open flame scares the crap out of me.  The natural gas in general kind of does too, but I'm getting used to it. 
I have gas heat, a gas water heater, and a gas stove.  I'm ok with the heat if I don't think about it too much, I'm ok with the water heater since it's brand new, but for some reason because I can SEE the flame on the stove it makes me exceptionally nervous.  It's anxiety, it's not a 'real' issue with the stove, fyi.

Thanks for offering to help! :) I want to use it more so that I can make more/different/perhaps healthier meals, but I find myself not wanting to.  Time will help, I think.

OK well you're right its not a real issue..:).

Natural gas is about the safest gas you can use because its extremely difficult (admittedly not impossible) to cause an explosion. Natural gas is almost all methane (CH4). Methane has 1 carbon atom and 4 hydrogen atoms. This is a very low energy density of fuel, which means you need a heck of a lot of it to leak into a room to get to the lower explosive limit.

Whats more they put this artificial gas smell into the natural gas (called mercaptan) so you can smell it very easily. Basically the smell would be completely over powering before you got to the point where it could explode from a spark. NG is also slightly lighter than air so it DOESN'T sit in a pool on the floor waiting for a spark!

Propane is much more dangerous by comparison (even that is quite safe if handled properly). Its heavier than air, sits on the floor so you can't necessarily smell it.. spark from a light switch and Kaboom..:).. This DOES NOT happen with NG..:)

As long as the flame is blue (meaning its completely burned) then there is no danger of Carbon monoxide poisoning (as there would be with a dirty yellow flame).

Of course you should always ensure any naked flame is extinguished before you leave, it is by comparison a very safe fuel source.

Incidently, candles are banned in our house.. far to easy to knock over or set fire to curtains!.. I would throw all those out before you need to worry about your stove top.

I don't know if this helped but as your firefighter friend has given the unit the all clear then you really have nothing to worry about.

If you live somewhere that is subject to Earthquakes you might consider installing a seismic shutoff valve on the gas line coming into your house. I believe they are code required now on new construction in California.

gerardc

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #46 on: April 03, 2019, 08:40:08 PM »
fitness threads are pretty useless without pics everyone ...

in the last 6 months I went down from 18% bf to ~11%. I look almost decent now. A few more lbs to go, just in time for FIRE

u natty brah? your skin looks pretty tight, might just be a pump

MOD EDIT: No.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2019, 02:20:24 PM by arebelspy »

philli14

• Bristles
« Reply #47 on: April 03, 2019, 09:23:31 PM »
Also, a couple words of advice from your friendly mustachian PT..

1. Be careful about the rate at which you are increasing your volume (how much you do)/intensity (how intense it is.. weight, speed, etc.) of exercise. Most of the overtraining/overuse injuries that I see on a daily basis can be attributed to an increase in load that exceeded the body's capacity to accomodate to that load. These short challenges can be great from a motivational standpoint, but going from "0 to 100", especially with exercises that involve a lot of repetition, jumping, landing, etc. may be setting yourself up for an injury that could sideline you.

2. A good habit to get into is to journal. It is important to track reps/sets/time, but also make note of how your body feels. Felt a weird tweak in the knee? Jot it down. Notice that pinky finger tingles after doing X exercise? Jot it down. Low back always tense after a consistent amount of time on the treadmill? Jot it down. This information can go a long way in helping to diagnose any future injuries, as we typically can make our diagnosis ~80% of the time based on subjective information alone (before even putting our hands on you). It also helps you to notice patterns in your training and can modify as necessary.

That's all for now :) Keep up the good work!

JanetJackson

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #48 on: April 04, 2019, 06:15:53 AM »

What if your fitness goal is not aesthetic?  Why is a fitness thread useless without body photos?  Explain.

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #49 on: April 04, 2019, 06:29:53 AM »

What if your fitness goal is not aesthetic?  Why is a fitness thread useless without body photos?  Explain.
Don’t feed the troll. He’s obviously being a jackass.