Author Topic: 50 books  (Read 137818 times)

Adventine

• Handlebar Stache
Re: 50 books
« Reply #150 on: March 11, 2015, 01:48:38 AM »

17.   The King in Yellow

Okay, this is a weird book, right?  And how did you happen to end up reading it? I heard about it from some article about references to it in True Detective, although I never got around to watching True Detective.

Yeah, it was pretty weird. I'm not sure I liked it. I found it by browsing Feedbooks.com. I normally like horror (used to read a lot of Stephen King) but The King in Yellow just wasn't that interesting.

happypup

• Stubble
« Reply #151 on: March 11, 2015, 05:40:55 AM »
11. Fall of Giants, Ken Follett

^ This was recommended to me by a nice lady on a plane recently, haha.

It's very good! Not quite as good as Pillars of Earth, in my opinion, but very enjoyable. I'd like to read the rest of the trilogy but I just put a hold on the second one at the library and am 25th in line, so it'll be a while.

misschedda

• Stubble
    • The Chedda
« Reply #152 on: March 12, 2015, 06:44:55 AM »
Update!

15. The Warded Man, by Peter Brett
16. The Maze Runner, by James Dashner

misschedda

• Stubble
    • The Chedda
« Reply #153 on: March 13, 2015, 11:46:06 AM »
Phew! I'm on a roll with these young adult books--new update:

17. The Golden Compass, by Philip Pullman

El Gringo

• Bristles
« Reply #154 on: March 13, 2015, 12:19:01 PM »
Thanks to audiobooks, I am plowing through books! Since the start of the New Year, I've "read" the following:

1.   Creativity, Inc: Overcoming the Unseen Forces that Stand in the Way of True Inspiration by Ed Catmull
2.   Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel
3.   All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr
4.   Command and Control; Nuclear Weapons, the Damascus Accident, and the Illusion of Safety by Eric Schlosser
5.   Being Mortal: Medicine and What Matters in the End by Atul Gawande
6.   1984 by George Orwell
7.   Stone Mattress: Nine Tales by Margaret Atwood
8.   The Chidlist Manifesto: How to Get Things Right by Atul Gawande
9.   The Idealist: Jeffrey Sachs and the Quest to End Poverty by Nina Munk
10.   The Brain’s Way of Healing: Remarkable Discoveries and Recoveries from the Frontiers of Neuroplasticity
11.   Guns, Germs, and Steel: The Fates of Human Societies by Jared Diamond
12.   The Art of Communicating by Thich Nhat Hanh
13.   The Devil in the White City: Murder, Magic, and Madness at the Fair that Changed America by Erik Larson
14.   The Fall of Giants by Ken Follett
15.   A Spy Among Friends: Kim Philby and the Great Betrayal by Ben Macintyre
16.   Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman
17.   Discontent and its Civilizations: Dispatches from Lahore, New York, and London
18.   Future Crimes: Everything is Connected, Everyone is Vulnerable, and What We Can Do About It

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #155 on: March 15, 2015, 09:56:58 AM »

17.   The King in Yellow

Okay, this is a weird book, right?  And how did you happen to end up reading it? I heard about it from some article about references to it in True Detective, although I never got around to watching True Detective.

Yeah, it was pretty weird. I'm not sure I liked it. I found it by browsing Feedbooks.com. I normally like horror (used to read a lot of Stephen King) but The King in Yellow just wasn't that interesting.

Yeah, I ended up liking it only for curiosity. I like Stephen King too but they definitely had different ideas about what was scary back in those days. It's more the suspenseful dread about, like, the unknown or just anything that isn't, like, respectable. It's like Turn of the Screw where the ghosts of two servants who had a, shall we say, unsanctified relationship of some sort, are hanging around the house and the climax and end is when the children see them. It's mere knowledge of the unsavory supernatural that destroys people, not even being, like, kidnapped or possessed or something, which doesn't always make for riveting reading.

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #156 on: March 15, 2015, 08:12:15 PM »
1. Gathering Blue - Lois Lowry - fantastic (but I always like her books)
2. A Splendid Exchange - How Trade Shaped the World - William Bernstein - Really made me think about history in a different way.
3. The Grey Nomad's Guidebook - Cindy and Jeremy Gough - how to travel Australia - good
4. Depletion and Abundance Sharon Astyk - very annoying book of not thought through goodie-goodie environmental stuff (using wood to combat climate change, local is best... which are both patently untrue)
5. Fabric Memory Books - Lesley Riley - basic
6. When Every Day is Saturday - Richard E Grace - Survey of retired people - pros and cons - good
7. Hungry Campers Cookbook - Katy Holder - only really for barbeques or fires.
8. Gossamer - Lois Lowry - I always like her books
9. Retirement for Two - Maryanne Vandervelde - Good book on the dynamics of retirement

10. Work Less, Play More - Ron Bennetts and Andrew Foster - Well, If I wanted a book on the financial aspects of retirement in Australia, it would have been good - it goes into nitty-gritty that I had never seen before and it is current. But I didn't. It didn't have ANYTHING about playing more!
I am only going to include books read cover to cover, and since the challenge started.
11. The Good Husband of Zebra Drive - Alexander McCall Smith
12. Tea Time for the Traditionally Built - Alexander McCall Smith
13. The Double Comfort Safari Club - Alexander McCall Smith
14. Lean In - Sheryl Sandberg - great book! worth waiting all these months to get it from the library.

Moonwaves

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #157 on: March 16, 2015, 06:34:36 AM »
  • Moab is my Washpot - Stephen Fry - finished
  • Bring on the Apocalypse - George Monbiot - finished
  • We Need to Talk about Kevin - Lionel Shriver - finished
  • My Berlin Kitchen - Luisa Weiss - was only a few chapters from the end and I lost it (left it on the train last weekend I think). Sooo frustrating - especially 'cos there were recipes at the end of each chapter and I really wanted to try some of them
  • The Name of the Rose - Umberto Eco - still in progress, this is on my kindle so it's now my book for when I'm out and about
  • 'Tis - Frank McCourt - finished
  • The Weathermonger - Peter Dickinson - finished
  • Real Food has Curves - Mark Scarborough and Bruce Weinstein - started this last year and was kind of disappointed at how bored I was reading it. Some nice sounding recipes so I will finish just to even make note of them but I think I'm just not the target audience for this book - still, at least I'm halfway through it now

misschedda

• Stubble
    • The Chedda
« Reply #158 on: March 17, 2015, 09:41:19 AM »
Yes! Huge YA fan here - especially the 'classics' with female protagonists.

I love the "His Dark Materials" series!!

Pullman's other series, about a teenage girl detective in Victorian England, is also really great - Sally Lockhart.

I love to get book recommendations! Thanks--maybe I'll get some books from that series in my next library batch.

Also I just finished:
18. The Perks of Being a Wallflower, by Stephen Chbosky
19. The Remains of the Day, by Kazuo Ishiguro (another recommendation from this thread)

randommadness

• Stubble
« Reply #159 on: March 17, 2015, 10:08:23 AM »

Now working on:
14. Galactic Empire Wars: Destruction

15. Galactic Empire Wars: Emergence
16. Galactic Empire Wars: Rebellion (Almost finished!)

This series has been pretty good, in my opinion. Next up I think it's about time to go through and reread all of the Foundation books, including the extras by the three B's.

One Noisy Cat

• Stubble
« Reply #160 on: March 17, 2015, 06:00:31 PM »
Update time

14) "Morgan: American Financier"  -  Jean Strouse
15) "Elvis Presley A Life in Music"   -  Ernest Jorgensen
16) "Founding Fathers"                 -   Joseph Eliis
17) "Montreal Maroons"                 -  William Brown
18) "Bishop's Boys-Wright Brothers" -Tom Crouch
19) "How we got to Now"               -  Steve Johnson
20) "Patton"                                  -  Michael Keane
21) "American Civil War"                -  Cole Kingseed
22) "Made in America"                   -  Chris Chelios

misschedda

• Stubble
    • The Chedda
« Reply #161 on: March 20, 2015, 07:56:33 AM »
20. Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, by Jane Austen and Seth Grahame-Smith

20/50 books for the year completed=8/20
3/12 months of the year completed=5/20 --> Woohoo I'm 3/20 ahead of where I need to be to finish 50 by the end of the year!

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #162 on: March 20, 2015, 08:35:11 AM »
1. Gathering Blue - Lois Lowry - fantastic (but I always like her books)
2. A Splendid Exchange - How Trade Shaped the World - William Bernstein - Really made me think about history in a different way.
3. The Grey Nomad's Guidebook - Cindy and Jeremy Gough - how to travel Australia - good
4. Depletion and Abundance Sharon Astyk - very annoying book of not thought through goodie-goodie environmental stuff (using wood to combat climate change, local is best... which are both patently untrue)
5. Fabric Memory Books - Lesley Riley - basic
6. When Every Day is Saturday - Richard E Grace - Survey of retired people - pros and cons - good
7. Hungry Campers Cookbook - Katy Holder - only really for barbeques or fires.
8. Gossamer - Lois Lowry - I always like her books
9. Retirement for Two - Maryanne Vandervelde - Good book on the dynamics of retirement
10. Work Less, Play More - Ron Bennetts and Andrew Foster - Well, If I wanted a book on the financial aspects of retirement in Australia, it would have been good - it goes into nitty-gritty that I had never seen before and it is current. But I didn't. It didn't have ANYTHING about playing more!
11. The Good Husband of Zebra Drive - Alexander McCall Smith
12. Tea Time for the Traditionally Built - Alexander McCall Smith
13. The Double Comfort Safari Club - Alexander McCall Smith
14. Lean In - Sheryl Sandberg - great book! worth waiting all these months to get it from the library.
I am only going to include books read cover to cover, and since the challenge started.
15. The Kalahari Mens Typing School - Alexander McCall Smith
16. The No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency - Alexander McCall Smith
17. The Great Cake Mystery - Alexander McCall Smith
18. Precious and the Mystery of the Missing Lion - Alexander McCall Smith

Carolina on My Mind

• Stubble
« Reply #163 on: March 20, 2015, 11:46:37 AM »
I'm going to give this challenge a shot!  I spend too much time putzing around on the Internet.  Here's what I've read so far this year:

1. Middlemarch - George Eliot (I was halfway through it when 2015 rolled around, but it's so darn long that I'm counting it this year)
2. Gilead - Marilynne Robinson (reread)
3. Home - Marilynne Robinson
4. The Colour of Memory - Geoff Dyer
5. On Writing - Stephen King
6. Practical Demonkeeping - Christopher Moore

Update:

7. The Descendants – Kaui Hart Hemmings
8. The Red House – Mark Haddon
9. Gone Girl – Gillian Flynn (vastly exceeded my expectations)
10. My Brilliant Friend – Elena Ferrante
11. The Goldfinch – Donna Tartt
12. The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up – Marie Kondo
13. Lila – Marilynne Robinson
14. The Secret History – Donna Tartt (midway through)

Carolina on My Mind

• Stubble
« Reply #164 on: March 20, 2015, 11:55:19 AM »
Is anyone reading classic fiction?

I read/reread classics pretty regularly, although lately I've been on a contemporary fiction kick.  I read Middlemarch a couple months ago and plan to reread Crime and Punishment once I get through my stack of contemporary stuff.

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #165 on: March 20, 2015, 08:36:21 PM »
15. Poor little bitch girl by Jackie Collins

MrsGreenPear

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • My food blog: Savory Moments
« Reply #166 on: March 21, 2015, 07:01:24 AM »
I'm still a little behind, but hoping to catch up. This is what I've read so far this year.

1. Death by Food Pyramid - Denise Minger
2. A Table by the Window - Hillary Manton Lodge
3. The Martian - Andy Weir (thanks, everyone, for this recommendation)
4. As Chimney Sweepers Come to Dust: A Flavia de Luce Mystery - Alan Bradley (I love this series)
5. The Sixth Extinction: An Unnatural History - Elizabeth Kolbert
6. Eat that Frog: 21 Great Ways to Stop Procrastinating and Get More Done in Less Time - Brian Tracy
7. Walking with the Great Apes: Sy Montgomery

Currently reading The Monopolists: Obsession, Fury, and the Scandal Behind America's Favorite Board Game - Mary Pilon

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #167 on: March 21, 2015, 04:29:09 PM »
Love this challenge. Definitely has me reading more than I already do, and less time doing alot of random internet browsing.

Wanderlusting

« Reply #168 on: March 21, 2015, 07:55:19 PM »
I'm gonna hop onboard with this one as well. I got a couple books i'm reading, and i'm gonna keep a list of 5 books or so that I want to read over the next month, in order to keep myself motivated/accountable.

Read so far this year:

Boozehound
Swiss Watching
Rework
Towards a New architecture

Currently reading:

Early Retirement Extreme
The Apartment
Generation Kill

5 Books to read:

1Q84
The Big Short
Capital - PIketty
What Einstein Told His Barber
The German Genius

Lian

• Stubble
« Reply #169 on: March 22, 2015, 01:32:09 PM »
Update:

5. The Wicked - Douglas Nicholas
6. City of Stairs by Robert Jackson Bennett
7. Assassin’s Quest (the 3rd in a trilogy) by Robin Hobb
8. Karen Memory by Elizabeth Bear
9. The Quick by Lauren Owen
10. Beijing Bastard by Val Wang

I have loads of free kindle books, which are pretty hit or miss – I’ll include those only if I finish the books. I took the suggestion of someone upthread, and got some classics and mythology from Project Gutenburg. I now have a growing list of books I want to read – many from this thread. May not make 50 books at the rate I’m going, but I’m spending less time on the internet.

happypup

• Stubble
« Reply #170 on: March 23, 2015, 06:23:36 AM »
12. Gentlemen of the Road, Michael Chabon <- Did not like this. It was a struggle to get through, which was a surprise because usually I like his books.
13. Longbourn, Jo Baker <- This was kind of a fun one. A colleague recommended it. It's Pride and Prejudice, but focused on the lives of the house staff. Their stories intersect with those of the main characters in P&P here and there, but it mostly stands alone.

Apples

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #171 on: March 24, 2015, 02:33:54 PM »
I forgot a few books.

1.  The Peach Keeper - Sarah Addison Allen
2.  Four (Divergent series) - Veronica Roth
3.  Dragonfly in Amber (Outlander Series) - Diana Gabaldon
4.  Beagle Basics - Training Your Hunting Beagle (the things I do for my husband :p)
5.  Voyager (Outlander series) - Diana Gabaldon
6.  Drums of Autumn (Outlander series) - Diana Gabaldon
7.  Mr. Penumbra's 24 Hour Bookstore - Robin Sloan

8.  Herland - Charlotte Gilman  I listened to this on the Craftlit podcast.  Everyone who might like classic literature, and also wants good discussion and a bit of English teacher enthusiasm needs to check out this podcast.  It's now my favorite way to "read" the classics.
9.  The Fiery Cross (Outlander Series) - Diana Gabaldon -ohhh how I love this series
10.  In the Garden of Beasts:  An American Family in Hitler's Berlin - Erik Larson   I wouldn't have read this if it wasn't part of "_____ County Reads One Book" this spring.  3 stars.  It has interesting insights into Germany and the people of government at that time, but walks the line between novel and nonfiction.  I was hoping for more novel.
11.  The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime - Mark Haddon  Written from the perspective of a teenager with autism.  It's interesting but I found it exhausting to read.  Maybe that's because I have autistic relatives and find them exhausting.  The author is spot on in what I think goes on in my relatives' heads.

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #172 on: March 30, 2015, 09:35:58 PM »
16. Hollywood Divorces by Jackie Collins

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #173 on: March 31, 2015, 05:56:44 PM »
15) Annie John by Jamaica Kincaid
16) The Sorrows of Young Werther by Goethe
17) Kokoro by Natsume Soseki
18) The Chosen by Chaim Potok
19) Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte
20) The Journey Home by Olaf Olafsson

Didn't mean to do diversity rainbow this month, just worked out that way. I guess I should also mention Body by You by Mark Lauren although I'm not counting it as there's so little actual reading.

El Gringo

• Bristles
« Reply #174 on: April 01, 2015, 07:27:50 AM »
Thanks to audiobooks, I am plowing through books! Since the start of the New Year, I've "read" the following:

1.   Creativity, Inc: Overcoming the Unseen Forces that Stand in the Way of True Inspiration by Ed Catmull
2.   Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel
3.   All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr
4.   Command and Control; Nuclear Weapons, the Damascus Accident, and the Illusion of Safety by Eric Schlosser
5.   Being Mortal: Medicine and What Matters in the End by Atul Gawande
6.   1984 by George Orwell
7.   Stone Mattress: Nine Tales by Margaret Atwood
8.   The Chidlist Manifesto: How to Get Things Right by Atul Gawande
9.   The Idealist: Jeffrey Sachs and the Quest to End Poverty by Nina Munk
10.   The Brain’s Way of Healing: Remarkable Discoveries and Recoveries from the Frontiers of Neuroplasticity
11.   Guns, Germs, and Steel: The Fates of Human Societies by Jared Diamond
12.   The Art of Communicating by Thich Nhat Hanh
13.   The Devil in the White City: Murder, Magic, and Madness at the Fair that Changed America by Erik Larson
14.   The Fall of Giants by Ken Follett
15.   A Spy Among Friends: Kim Philby and the Great Betrayal by Ben Macintyre
16.   Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman
17.   Discontent and its Civilizations: Dispatches from Lahore, New York, and London
18.   Future Crimes: Everything is Connected, Everyone is Vulnerable, and What We Can Do About It

19. Go Tell It on The Mountain by James Baldwin
20. The Last Lion: Winston Spencer Churchill, Defender of the Realm, 1940-1965 (The Last Lion, #3) by William Manchester/Paul Reed
21. The Sixth Extinction: An Unnatural History by Elizabeth Kolbert
22. Finding Zero: A Mathematician's Odyssey to Uncover the Origins of Numbers by Amir Aczel

misschedda

• Stubble
    • The Chedda
« Reply #175 on: April 01, 2015, 07:32:58 AM »
21. The Subtle Knife, by Philip Pullman

happypup

• Stubble
« Reply #176 on: April 01, 2015, 10:37:44 AM »
14. Consider the Lobster, David Foster Wallace

wordnerd

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #177 on: April 02, 2015, 06:28:56 PM »
Awesome! So far in 2015:

What If by Randall Munroe
The Autistic Brain by Temple Grandin
Expecting Better by Emily Oster
Why We Get Fat by Gary Taubes
Choke by Chuck Palahniuk
Lullaby by Chuck Palahniuk
Breakfast at Tiffany's by Truman Capote
(in progress) Fight Club by Chuck Palahniuk--completed
(in progress) In Cold Blood by Truman Capote--completed

Update:
True Story: Murder, Memoir, Mea Culpa
How Children Succeed
Liar's Poker

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #178 on: April 07, 2015, 01:59:20 PM »
17. Married Lovers by Jackie Collins

EngineerMum

• Stubble
  • Working towards moderate badassity
« Reply #179 on: April 10, 2015, 06:04:23 PM »
I thought I'd already joined the thread and started a list, but apparently not. I'll try to remember what I've already read.
  • Shades of Grey - Jasper Fforde
  • Slaughterhouse five - Kurt Vonnegut
  • Q&A - Vikas Swarup
  • Mrs Bradshaw's Handbook - Terry Pratchett
  • Unseen academicals - Terry Pratchett
  • Jingo - TP
  • Raising Steam - TP
  • Empire of the moghul - Alex Rutherford
  • A man is not a financial plan - Joyce.. something?. Not bad, a bit condescending - aimed at Australian / NZ women who might think the word budget is a bit scary and want to achieve financial independence.
  • The thousand dollar tan line - Rob Thomas
  • Northanger Abbey - Val McDermid - a Jane Austen project book which I enjoyed enough to go looking for all the others, and re-read JA's version as well.
  • Mr midshipman Hornblower
  • Lieutenant Hornblower
  • Hornblower and the hotspur- all C S Forester
  • Scarecrow - Matthew Riley
  • The well of lost plots - Jasper fforde
  • First among sequels - Jasper Fforde
  • one of our Thursdays is missing  - JF
  • The woman who died a lot - J F
  • HB & the Atropos
  • The Happy Return
  • A Ship of the Line
  • Flying Colours
  • The Commodore]
  • Lord HB
  • HB in the West Indes - all CS Forester
  • Dealing with difficult people - Brinkman and Kirschner
  • Northanger Abbey - Jane Austen
  • The misogyny factor - Anne Summers
  • The wife Drought - Annabel Crabbe -both excellent books, the misogyny factor was a bit more anger inducing, whereas I feel comfortable asking my OH to read the wife drought, as it's definitely about equality rather than feminism
  • Blink - Malcolm Gladwell - I have three more of his to follow, judging by how good the first was I'm looking forward to them
  • David and Goliath - Gladwell
  • How to fail at almost everything and still win big - Scott Adams
  • The nerdist way - Chris hardwick
  • Tipping point
  • Outliers - both M Gladwell. Enjoyed these less than the previous, Blink was my favourite I think, but I need to re-read them a bit further apart I think.
  • Urn Burial - forgotten the author, but a new series for me - the basis for the Phryne Fisher tv series which I love.
  • the Long Earth - Terry Pratchett and Stephen ??? darn, forgot his name. LOVED this, and can't wait to get back to the library to get the next one out.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2015, 11:06:01 PM by EngineerMum »

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #180 on: April 10, 2015, 09:51:32 PM »
I thought I'd already joined the thread and started a list, but apparently not. I'll try to remember what I've already read.
  • Shades of Grey - Jasper Fforde
  • Slaughterhouse five - Kurt Vonnegut
  • Q&A - Vikas Swarup
  • Mrs Bradshaw's Handbook - Terry Pratchett
  • Unseen academicals - Terry Pratchett
  • Jingo - TP
  • Raising Steam - TP
  • Empire of the moghul - Alex Rutherford

I love Slaughterhouse five :) . There is a movie version that is pretty interesting as well.

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #181 on: April 13, 2015, 09:03:26 PM »
18. The life-changing magic of tidying up by Marie Kondo

Moonwaves

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #182 on: April 14, 2015, 02:45:34 AM »
  • My Berlin Kitchen - Luisa Weiss - was only a few chapters from the end and I lost it (left it on the train last weekend I think). Sooo frustrating - especially 'cos there were recipes at the end of each chapter and I really wanted to try some of them
  • The Name of the Rose - Umberto Eco - still in progress, this is on my kindle so it's now my book for when I'm out and about
  • Real Food has Curves - Mark Scarborough and Bruce Weinstein - started this last year and was kind of disappointed at how bored I was reading it. Some nice sounding recipes so I will finish just to even make note of them but I think I'm just not the target audience for this book - still, at least I'm halfway through it now
  • Teacher Man - Frank McCourt - finished
  • Opening Acts - Suki Cunningham - finished
  • The life-changing magic of tidying up - Marie Kondo - finished
  • Quiet - The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking - Susan Cain - started the first few pages of this as soon as I got it, couldn't resist but then had to put it down to go out to rehearsal - don't want to pick it up again until I have time to keep reading to the end. That's how powerful of an effect the first ten pages had on me. There's a bank holiday in a couple of weeks, think I'll reserve that day for a picnic in the park and reading
« Last Edit: April 15, 2015, 01:41:56 AM by Moonwaves »

misschedda

• Stubble
    • The Chedda
« Reply #183 on: April 14, 2015, 06:52:43 AM »
22. The Amber Spyglass, by Philip Pullman

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #184 on: April 15, 2015, 12:04:12 AM »
19. Kafka by David Zane Mairowitz & R.Crumb

fresh

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #185 on: April 15, 2015, 03:46:26 PM »
  • Teacher Man - Frank McCourt - finished
  • Opening Acts - Suki Cunningham - finished
  • The life-changing magic of tidying up - Marie Kondo - finished
  • Quiet - The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking - Susan Cain - started the first few pages of this as soon as I got it, couldn't resist but then had to put it down to go out to rehearsal - don't want to pick it up again until I have time to keep reading to the end. That's how powerful of an effect the first ten pages had on me. There's a bank holiday in a couple of weeks, think I'll reserve that day for a picnic in the park and reading
[/b]
[/list]

I started Quiet- The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking last week.

Reading it during my lunch break at an office where the company is really extrovert focused and pushes people to be or pretend to be very outgoing leader types and I sit there reading this book realizing how much the company I work for could benefit from realizing that many employees and clients alike would benefit from the message.

I am so behind on this challenge!  Must play catch up now, looking forward to it : )

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #186 on: April 19, 2015, 12:19:33 PM »
20. Two is enough: A couple's guide to living childless by choice. By Laura S. Scott

ToeInTheWater

• Stubble
« Reply #187 on: April 20, 2015, 06:21:58 AM »
update:

1. Malicious, James Raven
2. The Grinning Dog, Ed Halliday
3. The Scorpion's Tale, Wayne Block
4. Sister Missing, Jeff Ambrose
5. Boys in Chicago Heights, Matthew Luzi
6. Trick Question. Tony Dunbar
7. When No One is looking, Joseph Hayes
8. Power Plays, Ted Case
9. Think like a Freak, Dubner & Levitt
10. Frozen Heat, "Richard Castle" (from the TV show...)
11. Deadly Heat, Richard Castle

still a few behind pace right now. 

misschedda

• Stubble
    • The Chedda
« Reply #188 on: April 22, 2015, 06:38:59 AM »
It was a good weekend for reading!

23. A Walk in the Woods, by Bill Bryson
24. Gathering Blue, by Lois Lowry
25. Son, by Lois Lowry

happypup

• Stubble
« Reply #189 on: April 24, 2015, 05:53:00 AM »
Running behind! I blame the nice spring weather.

15. 1Q84, Haruki Murakami
16. The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks, Rebecca Skloot

Marus

• Stubble
    • My Literature Blog
« Reply #190 on: April 24, 2015, 06:35:08 AM »
Getting to the topic late but I'm taking the 50 book challenge as well! I'm at 15 so far.  I'm currently working on a historical biography of Alexander the Great.  I'll post the rest of my list when I'm at a computer again.

My big reading change this year is when I get some free time I'll go over to the library and just plop down and read for an hour or two.  I've found that when I try to read at home I get distracted by chores I need to do or my appetite gets in the way haha.

misschedda

• Stubble
    • The Chedda
« Reply #191 on: April 24, 2015, 07:26:06 AM »
My big reading change this year is when I get some free time I'll go over to the library and just plop down and read for an hour or two.  I've found that when I try to read at home I get distracted by chores I need to do or my appetite gets in the way haha.

That's a good idea! I recently moved and now have a much shorter commute, which means less time for reading on the train. I think I'll try out your idea this weekend.

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #192 on: April 24, 2015, 08:28:51 AM »
I've found that when I try to read at home I get distracted by chores I need to do or my appetite gets in the way haha.

I used to read at coffee shops quite a bit after work and it was a very nice relaxing environment, however when I got into Mustachianism that was out, of course :) . So ive been reading at home, but, like you I tend to start eating and its problematic for sure . Going to the library more to do my reading is an excellent idea. Thanks! I may potentially save myself from hours of mindless eating (one can only hope ).

votu

• Stubble
« Reply #193 on: April 24, 2015, 03:33:12 PM »
2. The Brain that Changes Itself by Norman Doidge

Marus

• Stubble
    • My Literature Blog
« Reply #194 on: April 24, 2015, 08:35:54 PM »
Here's my goodreads profile: https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/854848-kane

I'll write reviews if people are interested :)

happypup

• Stubble
« Reply #195 on: April 27, 2015, 07:10:09 AM »
17. The Vacationers, Emma Straub

Cheryl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #196 on: April 27, 2015, 09:08:23 AM »
If you're trying to read more books, consider audiobooks!  Listen while you bike, while you cook dinner or clean, while you're lying around in misery waiting for allergy season to pass!

Seperately, get the OverDrive app!  You can download books or audiobooks straight from your own library for free.  As an added bonus, seeing that return date looming closer will keep you focused.  I had a bunch of books on hold, then they all became available at once, now I'm getting through 5 books in the next 19 days!

happypup

• Stubble
« Reply #197 on: April 30, 2015, 07:05:50 AM »
18. 12 Years a Slave, Solomon Northup

Seperately, get the OverDrive app!  You can download books or audiobooks straight from your own library for free.  As an added bonus, seeing that return date looming closer will keep you focused.  I had a bunch of books on hold, then they all became available at once, now I'm getting through 5 books in the next 19 days!

Getting books for my kindle from the library is the best thing ever! I cheat a little on the return dates though -- turning off the wifi makes them stay put past the due date, which has been necessary for some of the longer ones I've read this year.

misschedda

• Stubble
    • The Chedda
« Reply #198 on: April 30, 2015, 08:23:48 AM »
26. Shades of Grey, by Jasper Fforde

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #199 on: May 01, 2015, 04:47:53 AM »
21. The Left Hand of Darkness by Ursula K. LeGuin
22. Data, A Love Story by Amy Webb