Author Topic: 50 books  (Read 137919 times)

Sanne

• Stubble
Re: 50 books
« Reply #50 on: February 02, 2015, 07:04:37 AM »
Wow! 50 books!

I know I could do it, but right now I'm pretty happy if I read my goal of 25 books for this year. Last year my goal was 20 and I read 23 so this should not be a problem. For me it's not really a challenge this year, just to make sure I do read enough.

I like that you're posting the books, I already marked a few books to read in Goodreads! Like I don't have a lot of books to read already.. but hey!

tracylayton

« Reply #51 on: February 02, 2015, 07:15:41 AM »
I'm in too! I already placed a hold on several books at the library...just waiting for my turn. My goal is to read 50 without paying for a single one.

Apples

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #52 on: February 02, 2015, 07:29:50 AM »
I forgot a few books.

1.  The Peach Keeper - Sarah Addison Allen
2.  Four (Divergent series) - Veronica Roth
3.  Dragonfly in Amber (Outlander Series) - Diana Gabaldon
4.  Beagle Basics - Training Your Hunting Beagle (the things I do for my husband :p)
5.  Voyager (Outlander series) - Diana Gabaldon

And I'm using this thread to find out about new books to read!  I started a Goodreads account just so I could mark books that I want to read.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #53 on: February 02, 2015, 09:51:54 AM »
For book suggestions, there is also the "What are you reading right now?" Thread on OFF-TOPIC. 

MrsGreenPear

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • My food blog: Savory Moments
« Reply #54 on: February 03, 2015, 04:38:26 AM »
I'm in. I also just placed a hold at our library for "The Martian" - can't wait to read it now!

misschedda

• Stubble
    • The Chedda
« Reply #55 on: February 03, 2015, 08:25:29 AM »
This morning I finished:

5. The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss
6. Four by Veronica Roth

Now I just have to push myself to keep reading Sense and Sensibility and Sea Monsters over the next few days. It's really slow at the beginning and I'm having a hard time keeping the characters' names straight, so we'll see if I make it through or give up on it in favor of another book.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2015, 07:52:22 AM by misschedda »

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #56 on: February 03, 2015, 02:12:04 PM »
This morning I finished:

6. Four by Veronica Roth

Now I just have to push myself to keep reading Sense and Sensibility and Sea Monsters over the next few days. It's really slow at the beginning and I'm having a hard time keeping the characters names' straight, so we'll see if I make it through or give up on it in favor of another book.

I would recommend watching the movie first to help you keep track of the characters, but it doesn't have any sea monsters in it.

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #57 on: February 04, 2015, 09:32:48 AM »
Hmm, well the length of my list makes it seem like I'm retired.  Is it really a gauntlet when you will finish in 25% of the allotted time?  My husband considered himself a fast reader until he met me.  :) 

I discovered how to get library books on my kindle only about 3 months ago, which is beyond awesome and has contributed to higher than normal reading rates for me.  (I used to read the free crap on the top 100 free list on my kindle and check a lot out of the library but then have to deal with dropping it off/picking it up.)  My two issues with it are
1) my picker is off when I can't look at the book in person apparently - I get a lot more duds, even when sorting by "popularity" (or maybe that's the problem...) and
2) my library throttles how many you have out at a time to 10 (and only 7 holds) and once downloaded I can't return them early.  So I shortened my lending period to 7 days.

Not sure how I feel about revealing what I've read as it rather feels like I'm stripping in public, but here goes, as best as I can recreate back to Jan. 1:
Defending Jacob (good book)
The Orphan Train
Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (good series!)
The Girl Who Played with Fire (good series!)
The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet’s Nest (good series!)
Talented (eh)
Eragon
Soul Screamers (eh)
Dead Witch Walking
Vampire Academy
The Burgess Boys: A Novel
All the Finest Girls: A Novel (eh)
The Beginner’s Goodbye (eh)
The Mysterious Benedict Society
Tortall and Other Lands: A Collection of Tales
The Invention of Wings: A Novel (good book!)

Total: 16
Currently reading: The Inheritance

Most eagerly awaiting getting off the hold list for: The Slow Regard of Silent Things (Patrick Rothfuss) and The Edge of Eternity (Ken Follett)

CatchingFire

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #58 on: February 04, 2015, 10:02:25 AM »
So far,

1. Say What You Will by Cammie McGovern
2. All the Light we Cannot See by Anthony Doerr
3. The Silkworm by Robert Galbraith
4. The Martian by Andy Weir (excellent!)

5. The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins
6. The Truth About Alice by Jennifer Mathieu
7. Still Alice by Lisa Genova

Ready2Go

• Stubble
« Reply #59 on: February 04, 2015, 10:10:48 AM »
Following so I can catch all the books everyone is reading.  Always looking for something new for my book club.

Write Thyme

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • I will get there one day.
    • Simple Living. Saving + Frugality. Meal Planning.
« Reply #60 on: February 04, 2015, 12:03:51 PM »
I'm in! I've been reading free books for the Kindle. It's a challenge to find ones worth reading all the way through though.

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #61 on: February 04, 2015, 02:27:30 PM »
Should be interesting to see how long this takes:

1. Gathering Blue - Lois Lowry
2. A Splendid Exchange - How Trade Shaped the World - William Bernstein
3. The Grey Nomad's Guidebook - Cindy and Jeremy Gough
I am only going to include books read cover to cover, and since the challenge started.
Don't know why I included A Splendid Exchange previously - it must have been another book. Anyway, have just finished reading A Splendid Exchange, and it was terrific. Really made me think about history in a different way.

bigalsmith101

• Pencil Stache
  • Yes, that's really my face.
    • No Jobs, No Responsibilities, No Better Time then Now
« Reply #62 on: February 05, 2015, 12:42:08 AM »
I looooooove reading. Actually, I might be addicted to it. I purposefully go through stints of time when I do not borrow books from the library simply because it disrupts my daily productivity. I primarily read science fiction books but have dove into biographies and autobiographies lately. My desire to read is so intense that I will continue reading a book, even if it's terrible. Just can't stop.

In December of last year I read 9 books. In January this year I read 8 more. Over 7,000 pages.

I haven't turned on the Kindle this month as the last two months represents 115+hrs of reading at my pace of around a page a minute.

I often feel that I could apply that time to something more productive (at my age, I could get a part time job, get to FIRE faster).

If I keep up my normal pace, I'll read around 100 books this year. When I was a kid there were years my twin brother and I would read 150-200 100+page books a year, each. It was nuts!

I'll be digging through these posts for new books though!
« Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 12:51:35 AM by bigalsmith101 »

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #63 on: February 05, 2015, 12:14:26 PM »
When I was a kid there were years my twin brother and I would read 150-200 100+page books a year, each. It was nuts!

In 2nd grade, I won the city-wide March of Dimes for my grade, reading 217 books in one month.  The next year, I came no where close to winning, because my mom would only let me count books at my current reading level of 2 years ahead of my grade (my sister's books basically) rather than those at my official grade level.  Took a lot longer to read 5th grade books than 2nd grade ones - I think I only did about 60 in the month.  (Meanwhile my classmates were all reading the level below our grade in order to read more.)

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #64 on: February 05, 2015, 01:02:02 PM »

1. Gathering Blue - Lois Lowry - fantastic (but I always like her books)
2. A Splendid Exchange - How Trade Shaped the World - William Bernstein - Really made me think about history in a different way.
3. The Grey Nomad's Guidebook - Cindy and Jeremy Gough - how to travel Australia - good
I am only going to include books read cover to cover, and since the challenge started.
4. Depletion and Abundance Sharon Astyk - very annoying book of not thought through goodie-goodie environmental stuff (using wood to combat climate change, local is best... which are both patently untrue)
5. Fabric Memory Books - Lesley Riley - basic
« Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 04:41:16 PM by deborah »

SouthernTransplant

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #65 on: February 05, 2015, 01:50:51 PM »
Great idea - I'd love to join!

I'm also a little behind, but so far I've read:

The French Broad - Wilma Dykeman
Ready Player One - Ernest Cline
1491 - Charles C. Mann
The Right Stuff - Tom Wolfe (currently reading)

Moonwaves

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #66 on: February 06, 2015, 07:23:06 AM »

• Moab is my Washpot - Stephen Fry - finished
  • Bring on the Apocalypse - George Monbiot - finished
  • We Need to Talk about Kevin - Lionel Shriver - still in progress
  • My Berlin Kitchen - Luisa Weiss - was only a few chapters from the end and I lost it (left it on the train last weekend I think). Sooo frustrating - especially 'cos there were recipes at the end of each chapter and I really wanted to try some of them
  • The Name of the Rose - Umberto Eco - still in progress, this is on my kindle so it's now my book for when I'm out and about

bigalsmith101

• Pencil Stache
  • Yes, that's really my face.
    • No Jobs, No Responsibilities, No Better Time then Now
« Reply #67 on: February 06, 2015, 03:21:42 PM »
When I was a kid there were years my twin brother and I would read 150-200 100+page books a year, each. It was nuts!

In 2nd grade, I won the city-wide March of Dimes for my grade, reading 217 books in one month.  The next year, I came no where close to winning, because my mom would only let me count books at my current reading level of 2 years ahead of my grade (my sister's books basically) rather than those at my official grade level.  Took a lot longer to read 5th grade books than 2nd grade ones - I think I only did about 60 in the month.  (Meanwhile my classmates were all reading the level below our grade in order to read more.)

I suppose a 2nd grade reading level book was 50pgs with 16pt font at the time eh? I can't imagine that that was 217 real, genuine, adult level books in one month. Either way, it seems that you might have spent every day reading for that entire month!

kpd905

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #68 on: February 06, 2015, 07:14:09 PM »
I'm in! I've been reading free books for the Kindle. It's a challenge to find ones worth reading all the way through though.

You could try Project Gutenberg or a few other sites for some classic novels.

https://www.gutenberg.org/
http://www.feedbooks.com/publicdomain

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #69 on: February 07, 2015, 12:02:05 AM »

1. Gathering Blue - Lois Lowry - fantastic (but I always like her books)
2. A Splendid Exchange - How Trade Shaped the World - William Bernstein - Really made me think about history in a different way.
3. The Grey Nomad's Guidebook - Cindy and Jeremy Gough - how to travel Australia - good
4. Depletion and Abundance Sharon Astyk - very annoying book of not thought through goodie-goodie environmental stuff (using wood to combat climate change, local is best... which are both patently untrue)
5. Fabric Memory Books - Lesley Riley - basic
6. When Every Day is Saturday - Richard E Grace - Survey of retired people - pros and cons - good
« Last Edit: February 07, 2015, 07:58:03 AM by deborah »

KD

• Stubble
  • "Waste is a resource out of place."-Coors Mfg.
« Reply #70 on: February 07, 2015, 07:09:17 AM »
 I'm IN (an auto-didactic introvert - also a voracious childhood reader)
READ:
01) Wheat Belly by William Davis
02) Eat to Live by Joel Furhman
03) Outlander by Diana Gabaldon
04) Ishmael by Daniel Quinn (re-read)
05) My Ishmael by Daniel Quinn (re-read)
06) Primal Body, Primal Mind by Nora T. Gedgaudas
07) Cholesterol Clarity by Jimmy Moore [husband's numbers way down & no pending diabetes either!! :) ]
08) Keto Clarity by Jimmy Moore [my whole family is way down in weight loss! yehaw]
09) Grain Brain by David Perlmutter
10) The Gammage Cup by Carol Kendall (children's book re-read - once a year whether I need it or not! - love the                   non-comformity message here so yes, I NEED it every year!)
11) 1984 by George Orwell (re-read)
12) Animal Farm by George Orwell (re-read)
13) Keto-Adapted by Maria Emmerich
14) Secrets to Controlling Your Weight, Cravings and Mood by Maria Emmerich
15) Living Without Electricity by Stephen Scott (not planning to go there, but in limiting our useage as much as possible)
16) When They Give You Lined Paper, Write Sideways by Daniel Quinn

IN PROGRESS:
17)Dragonfly in Amber by Diana Gabaldon
18)Tales of Adam by Daniel Quinn (is a re-read)

Thinking of pulling Ayn Rand up from the archives to re-read as well this year...as well as all of Paul Erdman's(a really good inside look at the way the financial world works) books.  Last year I enjoyed rereading all of Tony Hillerman, Jean Auel, Louise Erdrich and Jean Hager's books.

Here's a few new that are waiting to be finished (I've read the first chapter & perused the rest of them!) before Feb 20th...the order above will be interrupted to include:

How To Retire the Cheapskate Way by Jeff Yeager(library checkout)
Debt Cures by Kevin Trudeau (library check-out)  You never know even being debt free where you'll pick up a tip!
The Money Book for Freelancers, Part-Timers and the Self-Employed by Joseph D'Agnese (library check-out)

Excited to learn what's on everybody else's lists!  -KD

This is my first post, I've been lurking a while, an early retiree at 26 (eons ago), adventure traveller, venture capitalist, antique dealer as a joyful passionate side hustle, housewife and Mum who saved half or more of her allotted grocery dollars for years! I worked in high school as manager for a small town hospital credit union - appalled at those who saved by withdrawals on their checks only to come in the Monday after payday to only withdraw it!! :(  I then worked for a time during college at a mortgage company where my job was to figure and write out the checks for investors - I said after the first week that it (receiver of investment dividends) would be the life for me!! Before I retired I was a debt collector who also sometimes had to repo cars.  Pay your bills!  Don't buy what you can't afford! Learned investing thru self-study and a bit of practice with an investment club (why is it a foreign language to high school grads???), accounting major in college.  Hubs joined me in retirement at 62 a few years back when his employer closed down - he was one who WANTED to work til 70.  Fortunately we had been debt free including mortgage for a number of years so all is well.  Tax advantaged saver, paid ourselves first, bought used (auctions are a lovely place to entertain a Mustachian in NEED of buying something - know your prices, don't go and get carried away buying STUFF), pinch 'em till it screams, save the rest - this means I skim any 'leftover' at the end of the month to additional savings - YNAB software user, penny picker upper! 
« Last Edit: February 07, 2015, 01:57:36 PM by KD »

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #71 on: February 09, 2015, 04:41:08 AM »
Not in order, but here's my list so far:
1. The Chimp Paradox - Steve Peters (meh)
2. The Family Law - Benjamin Law (very funny)
3. Stuff Your Face or Face Your Stuff - Dorothy Breininger (dreadful)
4. Yes Please - Amy Poehler (meh)
5. Divergent - Veronica Roth (fun)
6. Brain Rules - John Medina (well worth reading)
7, 8, 9, 10, 11. Soulless, Changeless, Blameless, Heartless and Timeless - Gail Carriger (silly, fun)
12. The Wife Drought - Annabel Crabb (very good)
13. How to Fail at Almost Everything and Still Win Big - Scott Adams (great)
14, 15, 16. Stormy Petrel, Rose Cottage and Thornyhold - Mary Stewart (I lurve her books)
17. In Defense of Food - Michael Pollan

Currently reading:
18. More Fool Me - Stephen Fry (meh)

ToeInTheWater

• Stubble
« Reply #72 on: February 09, 2015, 04:59:24 AM »
update:

1. Malicious, James Raven
2. The Grinning Dog, Ed Halliday
3. The Scorpion's Tale, Wayne Block
4. Sister Missing, Jeff Ambrose
5. Boys in Chicago Heights, Matthew Luzi
6. Trick Question. Tony Dunbar
7. When No One is looking, Joseph Hayes
8. Power Plays Ted Case

Adventine

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #73 on: February 09, 2015, 06:13:40 AM »
Update!

• Saga Volume 4
  • The Blind Assassin
  • Pinocchio Vampire Slayer
  • New Avengers Issues 27-29 (ongoing)
  • Avengers Issues 39-40 (ongoing)
  • American Vampire Volume 1
  • Shutter Volume 1: Wanderlost
  • Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World
  • Sophie's World (15%)
  • The Art of Fielding
  • Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress
  • You Have Too Much Shit

happypup

• Stubble
« Reply #74 on: February 09, 2015, 06:47:29 AM »
Here's my update! Still a bit behind but catching up.
  • 1. The Name of the Wind, Patrick Rothfuss
  • 1491, Charles Mann
  • The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society, Annie Barrows and Mary Ann Shaffer
  • Practical Demon-Keeping, Christopher Moore
  • The Simulacrum, Philip K Dick

Working on:
- In a Sunburned Country, Bill Bryson
- Catherine the Great, Robert K Massie (this is a long one, will probably be in progress for a while!)

Moonwaves

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #75 on: February 09, 2015, 06:48:23 AM »
Currently reading:
Interesting. I read the second part of his memoirs (The Fry Chronicles) a couple of years ago and really enjoyed it. Hadn't realised there was a first part (Moab is my Washpot) until I'd finished so was delighted to find that last year on a second-hand stall. And then it took me nearly a year to get through it and was a hard slog till nearly the end. Have you read the other two parts and liked them? Curious now to see how I feel about More Fool Me but have so much on the to-read list already, it'll probably be a year or two before I get it.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #76 on: February 09, 2015, 02:40:24 PM »
Currently reading:
Interesting. I read the second part of his memoirs (The Fry Chronicles) a couple of years ago and really enjoyed it. Hadn't realised there was a first part (Moab is my Washpot) until I'd finished so was delighted to find that last year on a second-hand stall. And then it took me nearly a year to get through it and was a hard slog till nearly the end. Have you read the other two parts and liked them? Curious now to see how I feel about More Fool Me but have so much on the to-read list already, it'll probably be a year or two before I get it.

Yep, I'd read the earlier two and enjoyed them. More Fool Me is okay, it's just...meh. Not as good as the others, and not quite good enough for me to recommend it.

But you might think it's a masterpiece! So don't let me put you off :-)

Moonwaves

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #77 on: February 09, 2015, 03:24:46 PM »
Oh don't worry, I'm way too perversely stubborn to be put off reading something I feel like I need to read just to continue with the set. :) Had a look at a few reviews on Amazon just now and the less enthusiastic ones (of which there are far more than I would have expected) all have more or less the same complaints, first third is a too-long recap of the other two, second third is a relatively short period of time and basically a list of places he did coke and people he partied with, while the final third is simply a reprint of bits of his actual diary at the time. Many "does he not have an editor" comments. Still, books like that are what the library is for. :)

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #78 on: February 09, 2015, 05:25:00 PM »
Oh don't worry, I'm way too perversely stubborn to be put off reading something I feel like I need to read just to continue with the set. :) Had a look at a few reviews on Amazon just now and the less enthusiastic ones (of which there are far more than I would have expected) all have more or less the same complaints, first third is a too-long recap of the other two, second third is a relatively short period of time and basically a list of places he did coke and people he partied with, while the final third is simply a reprint of bits of his actual diary at the time. Many "does he not have an editor" comments. Still, books like that are what the library is for. :)

Indeed! Those reviews are fairly accurate, but it's good enough for me to finish it, so it can't be that all that bad :-P

Some of his anecdotes about the royals are laugh out loud funny.*

*Yep, it's one of those books where someone tells lots of stories that show how dreadfully famous and well-connected they are.

wordnerd

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #79 on: February 09, 2015, 07:52:36 PM »
Awesome! So far in 2015:

What If by Randall Munroe
The Autistic Brain by Temple Grandin
Expecting Better by Emily Oster
Why We Get Fat by Gary Taubes
Choke by Chuck Palahniuk
Lullaby by Chuck Palahniuk
Breakfast at Tiffany's by Truman Capote
(in progress) Fight Club by Chuck Palahniuk
(in progress) In Cold Blood by Truman Capote

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #80 on: February 10, 2015, 12:08:08 AM »

You could try Project Gutenberg or a few other sites for some classic novels.

https://www.gutenberg.org/
http://www.feedbooks.com/publicdomain

Thanks for linking to feedbooks. Had a look after reading your post yesterday and OMG. I'm in heaven. Not just the usual (tired) selection of public domain classics, either!

My kindle is now plump with books for my reading pleasure.

randommadness

• Stubble
« Reply #81 on: February 10, 2015, 01:10:14 PM »
Doing work so far this year, though I've always been a reader.

1. Firefight, Brandon Sanderson
2. Fluency, Jennifer Wells
3. Terms of Enlistment, Marko Kloos
4. Lines of Departure, Marko Kloos
5. The Martian, Andy Weir
6. Locked On, Tom Clancy, Mark Greaney

Adding -
7. Threat Vector, Clancy/Greaney
8. Starhold, J. Alan Field (will read it's sequel when it comes out in fall)

lizzie

• Stubble
« Reply #82 on: February 10, 2015, 07:40:51 PM »
Hey, I'd like to join you all. Probably can't make it to 50, but I'm trying to read all new books this year with no re-reading--I need to give my favorites a little time to become new again. Also I have a lot of reading to do to help my DD choose a college, but I don't think those books will count since I won't really read them cover to cover.

Anyway, here's what I've got so far:

1.  Unbroken by Lauren Hillenbrand
2.  Limonov by Emmanuel Carrere
3.  The Lincoln Lawyer by Michael Connolly
4.  The Elegance of the Hedgehog by Muriel Barbery (currently reading)
5. Motherland Fatherland Homelandsexuals by Patricia Lockwood (currently reading)

misschedda

• Stubble
    • The Chedda
« Reply #83 on: February 11, 2015, 07:29:18 AM »
This morning I finished:

6. Four by Veronica Roth

Now I just have to push myself to keep reading Sense and Sensibility and Sea Monsters over the next few days. It's really slow at the beginning and I'm having a hard time keeping the characters' names straight, so we'll see if I make it through or give up on it in favor of another book.

Success!
7. Sense and Sensibility and Sea Monsters, by Jane Austen and Ben H. Winters
8. The Sword of Shannara, by Terry Brooks

Autodidact

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #84 on: February 11, 2015, 04:14:50 PM »
Can I play too...I know I'm late joining....

It's interesting to see so many patrick Rothers fans here. He is my daughters favorite author, yet I found it very hard to get started. Perhaps I will try again.

I cannot remember what I have read so far so will pitch in where I am

Currently reading
The year of reading Dangerously (honest, got it out the library last week)
Warrior Scarlett. Rosemary Sutcliff.
A History of Britain. Simon Schama
A History of the English-Speaking People's. Winston Churchill
The Genius of Dogs (Brian Hare et al)

On list
Aeneid (son is reading this for classics at school, and it is sooooo long since I read it I cannot discuss it with him)
Name of the Wind (Patrick Rothers )
Sun Horse Moon Horse (Rosemary Sutcliffe)
In Defence of Dogs (john Bradshaw)

Autodidact

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #85 on: February 11, 2015, 04:23:08 PM »
I looooooove reading. Actually, I might be addicted to it. I purposefully go through stints of time when I do not borrow books from the library simply because it disrupts my daily productivity. I primarily read science fiction books but have dove into biographies and autobiographies lately. My desire to read is so intense that I will continue reading a book, even if it's terrible. Just can't stop.

I know how you feel. I was born in a bookshop ( well, not literally, in my parents bedroom which was over the shop....) antiquarian and secondhand, and I don't think I have ever got over it.......

Carolina on My Mind

• Stubble
« Reply #86 on: February 13, 2015, 08:40:09 PM »
I'm going to give this challenge a shot!  I spend too much time putzing around on the Internet.  Here's what I've read so far this year:

1. Middlemarch - George Eliot (I was halfway through it when 2015 rolled around, but it's so darn long that I'm counting it this year)
2. Gilead - Marilynne Robinson (reread)
3. Home - Marilynne Robinson
4. The Colour of Memory - Geoff Dyer
5. On Writing - Stephen King
6. Practical Demonkeeping - Christopher Moore (midway through)

BTW, I was happy to see The Art of Fielding on someone's list above.  That is such a good book.

Lian

• Stubble
« Reply #87 on: February 13, 2015, 09:54:57 PM »
I'll join in! I spend way too much time on the internet - I used to love to read and don't do it as much anymore. Since early January I've read:

Assassin' Apprentice - Robin Hobb
Royal Assassin - Robin Hobb
The Alchemist - Paulo Coelho
The Return - Michael Gruber
The Wicked - Douglas Nicholas (just started this one)

I just got the first book in Colleen McCullough's Masters of Rome series. It's huge, so if I start the series I may not make 50 books this year. I'll keep reading though. In any event, I'll enjoy learning about more good books to read from this thread.

Exhale

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #88 on: February 14, 2015, 08:31:12 PM »
The following graphic novels are seriously good pieces of literature. I've found both the writing and art to be outstanding:

Blankets by Craig Thompson
Habibi, also by Craig Thompson
Sandman by Neil Gaiman
Saga by Brian K. Vaughan and Fiona Staples
Watchmen by Alan Moore
V for Vendetta, also by Alan Moore

Also great:
Vietnamerica by GB Tran
Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi
Smile (and Drama) by Raina Telgemeier
The Photographer: Into War-torn Afghanistan with Doctors Without Borders (and Alan's War) by Emmanuel Guibert

NICE!

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #89 on: February 15, 2015, 02:12:52 AM »
Already completed these this year:
1. Early Retirement Extreme
2. Into the Wild

About to start:
1. East of Eden

Next in line:
1. The Abolition of Man

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #90 on: February 15, 2015, 05:48:04 PM »
I was on vacation for a week, so most reading was before I left and on the plane (I love my tablet, library books (epub format) and Kindle, all in one).

Riddled with life   M. Zuk
Fallscaping; Extending your Garden Season Into Autumn     Nancy Ondra
Dead but not forgotten      Charlaine Harris
Bad Feminist          Roxane Gay
The Elusive Mrs. Pollifax           Dorothy Gilman

And am reading
Irresponsible Government; The Decline of Parliamentary Democracy in Canada    Brent Rathgeber
Just in case: how to be self-sufficient when the unexpected happens   Kathy Harrison

KD

• Stubble
  • "Waste is a resource out of place."-Coors Mfg.
« Reply #91 on: February 15, 2015, 06:41:07 PM »
UPDATE:

FINISHED: 
17)Dragonfly in Amber by Diana Gabaldon
18)Tales of Adam by Daniel Quinn (twas a quick re-read)

IN PROCESS:
19)Debt Cures by Kevin Trudeau (nope, we're not in debt)
20)How To Retire the Cheapskate Way by Jeff Yeager (also like to learn anything about frugal living)
21)The Money Book for Freelancers, Part-Timers, and the Self-Employed by Joseph D'Agnese

NEXT UP:
22)Stop Living In This Land Go To The Everlasting World of Happiness Live There Forever by Woo Myung
23)To Sell is Human - The Surprising Truth About Moving Others by Daniel H. Pink
24)whichever Outlander book is next

happypup

• Stubble
« Reply #92 on: February 17, 2015, 06:15:00 AM »
Update!

• The Name of the Wind, Patrick Rothfuss
  • 1491, Charles Mann
  • The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society, Annie Barrows and Mary Ann Shaffer

6. In a Sunburned Country, Bill Bryson
7. Guards, Guards! Terry Prachett
8. Orange is the New Black, Piper Kerman

Still working on Catherine the Great, and starting The Remains of the Day.

Adventine

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #93 on: February 17, 2015, 07:38:09 AM »
Update!

• The Name of the Wind, Patrick Rothfuss
  • 1491, Charles Mann

6. In a Sunburned Country, Bill Bryson
7. Guards, Guards! Terry Prachett
8. Orange is the New Black, Piper Kerman

Still working on Catherine the Great, and starting The Remains of the Day.

The Remains of the Day is great!

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #94 on: February 18, 2015, 11:20:05 PM »
I'm in. when I first saw this thread at the beginning of the year, I thought it was unreasonable (for me). But, seeing as I've already read seven this year (plus another four from the library to go & two on hold) I have changed my mind. I tend to switch up my book types. currently ive been on a holywood trash binge. Ha! no shame in my game. I love to unwind to a mind-numbing book sometimes ;)
1. Yargo by Jacqueline Susann
2. Everynight Josephine! by Jacqueline Susann
3. The Power Trip by Jackie Collins
4. Hollywood Wives: The New Generation by Jackie Collins
5. Hollywood Wives by Jackie Collins
6. Dataclysm by Christian Rudder
7. The Millionaire Next Door by Thomas Stanley & William Danko

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #95 on: February 18, 2015, 11:29:47 PM »
Knew I was forgetting something...
8. Love Letters by Kate Macleod

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #96 on: February 19, 2015, 12:40:41 AM »
I'm struggling to even finish one book. I read part of every book I take out of the library. Does that count? haha

Partially read 5 books so far this year, and then returned them :-(

I'm still enjoying everyone's reports, and have ordered in a few titles based on your recommendations ... but I probably won't finish them.

NICE!

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #97 on: February 19, 2015, 12:57:53 AM »
Is anyone reading classic fiction?

lizzie

• Stubble
« Reply #98 on: February 19, 2015, 04:45:48 AM »
I'm struggling to even finish one book. I read part of every book I take out of the library. Does that count? haha

Partially read 5 books so far this year, and then returned them :-(

I'm still enjoying everyone's reports, and have ordered in a few titles based on your recommendations ... but I probably won't finish them.

Reminds me of my SIL's Christmas newsletter one year. She did it in the style of the Onion with headlines like "Miracle Boy Eats Nothing, but Poops, Grows," and "Mom Finishes 1/3 of Book."

Moonwaves

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #99 on: February 19, 2015, 09:08:14 AM »

• Moab is my Washpot - Stephen Fry - finished
  • Bring on the Apocalypse - George Monbiot - finished
  • We Need to Talk about Kevin - Lionel Shriver - still in progress
  • My Berlin Kitchen - Luisa Weiss - was only a few chapters from the end and I lost it (left it on the train last weekend I think). Sooo frustrating - especially 'cos there were recipes at the end of each chapter and I really wanted to try some of them
  • The Name of the Rose - Umberto Eco - still in progress, this is on my kindle so it's now my book for when I'm out and about
  • 'Tis - Frank McCourt - wanted something a bit lighter for the weekend that was in it (Karneval) :)