Author Topic: 50 Books in 2023!  (Read 29297 times)

Adventine

• Handlebar Stache
50 Books in 2023!
« on: December 29, 2022, 04:57:29 PM »
It's that time of the year again!

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
Re: 50 Books in 2023!
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2022, 03:41:59 PM »
Wouldn't miss it!  This year setting my personal (not-to-exceed) goal at 60 books.  I think this should still be a fairly generous amount of reading but will also prevent me from reading too much in lieu of other, more daunting, things I'd like to pursue in 2023.

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2022, 05:46:54 PM »
I'll be here with my book heaps!

Raenia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2022, 05:52:34 PM »
Here and ready to go!

Wolfpack Mustachian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2022, 06:01:35 PM »
Excited for the recommendations :-)

nessness

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2022, 09:44:06 PM »
I'm in!

Brit71

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2023, 05:11:43 AM »
My first year of this

PlanetDee

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2023, 08:07:40 AM »
I never make it past 40, but still love to be here!

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2023, 09:14:10 AM »
1: Starsight, by Brandon Sanderson

Brit71

• Stubble
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2023, 01:22:30 PM »
My first year of this

Deep South by Paul Theroux - Bit of a cheat as I laid this down a month ago and just had to finish it off.  Talked a lot about how poor the south was but really surprising how proto-Trumpist it was. As Theroux is a lifelong Democrat and defines a rootless cosmopolitan, it was surprising to see all those tirades against free trade and foreign aid.

1.  Deep South by Paul Theroux
« Last Edit: January 02, 2023, 10:48:08 AM by Brit71 »

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2023, 08:59:27 PM »
I will read some books this year. Didn't get remotely close to 50 last year, and I may or may not this year, but that's ok!

YellowCat

• Bristles
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2023, 02:31:24 AM »
I'm in! Hoping to exceed the 62 books I read in 2022.

Vashy

• Bristles
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2023, 03:53:18 AM »
I'm in!

Brit71

• Stubble
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2023, 10:54:42 AM »
My first year of this

Deep South by Paul Theroux - Bit of a cheat as I laid this down a month ago and just had to finish it off.  Talked a lot about how poor the south was but really surprising how proto-Trumpist it was. As Theroux is a lifelong Democrat and defines a rootless cosmopolitan, it was surprising to see all those tirades against free trade and foreign aid.

Money and Power, The 16 World Leaders Who Changed Economics by Vince Cable

In the UK Cable used to be a big(ish) shot - leader of the third party and a rare politician who's a competent economist.  It's an interesting idea to look at politicians who've changed the way economics is done - an inversion of the usual where we look at the economists.  Not sure I agree with all of the choices and he's not actually the best author.  But got through it.  (Also cheated on this one as I had read a lot of it in December, but I would have returned it to the library half read if not for this challenge).

2.  Money and Power by Vince Cable

YellowCat

• Bristles
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2023, 03:09:52 PM »
1. Dreaming Spies, Laurie R. King

Splashncash

• Bristles
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2023, 08:47:27 PM »
Happy New Year, all!

Count me in for 2023.  I don't know if I will be able to top my 2022 reading year but I'm willing to give it a shot.

Brit71

• Stubble
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2023, 01:47:50 AM »
My first year of this

In the UK Cable used to be a big(ish) shot - leader of the third party and a rare politician who's a competent economist.  It's an interesting idea to look at politicians who've changed the way economics is done - an inversion of the usual where we look at the economists.  Not sure I agree with all of the choices and he's not actually the best author.  But got through it.  (Also cheated on this one as I had read a lot of it in December, but I would have returned it to the library half read if not for this challenge).

Cavour by Countess Evelyn Martinengo Cesaresco

Do audio books count?  Well they do with me. Plus I started this in the year.  This is from Librivox which is free, and also forces you onto classics.  I think it's the first time I've done Librivox all the way through, although my wife has consumed plenty of these.

I did the unification of Italy at A Level (last two years of high school in England) and it was interesting to "read" something closer to the period, and indeed the place.  I'm no longer a fan of Cavour - or big centralised governments in general - but hearing this from a fan was also interesting.  A change of view is one of the better things that you can get from reading and so this was worth it despite the fact that I was cheating.  And I'll cheat again.

3.  Cavour by Evelyn Cesaresco

Avolonte

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2023, 07:44:13 AM »
I'm in!

2023 so far:
1. Nomadland. Just finished.
2. The Satanic Verses. Just started, book club pick.

Next up: Mouth to Mouth: a novel, Cover Story: a novel, and How to be Perfect: the Correct Answer to Every Moral Question. All recommendations from an article on NPR I read last week.

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2023, 01:52:15 PM »
Would be interested to hear how your bookclub enjoys The Satanic Verses @Avolonte --mine read it last year but I was the only one who finished it!  :)

1) Also A Poet: Frank O'Hara, My Father, And Me by Ada Calhoun
2) Pure Colour by Sheila Heti (fiction) Governor General's Award winner last year.. Dream-like, odd, sort of wonderful

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2023, 02:00:12 PM »
1.  A Particular Kind of Black Man, by Tope Folarin (Jan 3) (audio). Excellent in many ways, also would look out for this author in future when some aspects of his writing may develop further.

Brit71

• Stubble
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2023, 06:39:02 AM »
My first year of this

Do audio books count?  Well they do with me. Plus I started this in the year.  This is from Librivox which is free, and also forces you onto classics.  I think it's the first time I've done Librivox all the way through, although my wife has consumed plenty of these.

I did the unification of Italy at A Level (last two years of high school in England) and it was interesting to "read" something closer to the period, and indeed the place.  I'm no longer a fan of Cavour - or big centralised governments in general - but hearing this from a fan was also interesting.  A change of view is one of the better things that you can get from reading and so this was worth it despite the fact that I was cheating.  And I'll cheat again.

This Sovereign Isle - Britain in and out of Europe by Robert Tombs

So this is the first book I started and finished in the year that wasn't an audio book.  Yes it was relatively short at just under 200 pages.  Quite a good, if slanted, discussion on Brexit but from a Leaver point of view.  The beginning, where he talks about the background to Brexit, is more measured than the last bits where he talks about the events - reflecting a radicalisation that a lot of us saw with friends on both sides.

4.  This Sovereign Isle by Robert Tombs

gatortator

• Bristles
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2023, 11:11:45 AM »
Joining!

Last year and this year I am participating in my local library’s book nerd challenge. 50 categories, 50 books, 1 year.

Finished last year on December 31st.  Phew..  This year, I will try recording my progress here to see how that motivates me.

Completed:
1. The Bombay Prince by Sujata Massey (Perveen Mistry series #3)

YellowCat

• Bristles
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2023, 02:53:01 PM »
2. The Murder of Mary Russell, Laurie R. King

Splashncash

• Bristles
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2023, 07:16:44 PM »
1. Switchboard Soldiers by Jennifer Chiaverini

Brit71

• Stubble
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2023, 11:35:57 AM »
My first year of this

So this is the first book I started and finished in the year that wasn't an audio book.  Yes it was relatively short at just under 200 pages.  Quite a good, if slanted, discussion on Brexit but from a Leaver point of view.  The beginning, where he talks about the background to Brexit, is more measured than the last bits where he talks about the events - reflecting a radicalisation that a lot of us saw with friends on both sides.

The Glorious Revolution by Eveline Cruickshanks

Quite a short one (didn't realise it when I ordered this).  It's short but not easy and it talks through quite complex concepts around the personalities and concepts of the last successful invasion of England.  Argues that Jacobinism (getting the legitimate but Catholic monarchs of England back) was actually far more popular and viable than we tend to appreciate.

5.  The Glorious Revolution by Eveline Cruickshanks

Tigerpine

• Bristles
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2023, 12:13:37 PM »
Let's see how it goes this year!

Here's what I've read so far

1.  A Random Walk Down Wall Street (12ed) by Burton Malkiel
2.  Delinquent:  Inside America's Debt Machine by Elena Botella
3.  IRAs, 401(k)s & Other Retirement Plans:  Strategies for Taking your Money Out (14ed) by Twila Slesnick & John C. Suttle

StarBright

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2023, 12:45:30 PM »
I'm in again. No goals, just tracking.

1. Survival of the Thickest by Michelle Buteau
2. Catherine House by Elizabeth Thomas
3. Longbourn by Jo Baker
4. Atomic Habits by James Clear
5. The Austen Escape by Katherine Reay (accidental reread according to my kindle)
6. Good Food Bad Diet by Abby Langer

YellowCat

• Bristles
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2023, 01:39:47 PM »
3. The Golden Enclaves, Naomi Novik

Brit71

• Stubble
« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2023, 02:43:57 PM »
My first year of this

Quite a short one (didn't realise it when I ordered this).  It's short but not easy and it talks through quite complex concepts around the personalities and concepts of the last successful invasion of England.  Argues that Jacobinism (getting the legitimate but Catholic monarchs of England back) was actually far more popular and viable than we tend to appreciate.

Return to Essentials, Some Reflections on the Present State of Historical Study - G R Elton

A set of five lectures on how history should be done by a reasonably conservative history professor (uncle of the left wing British comedian Ben Elton).  Another book of his was a set reading in my first term at university 30 years ago.  When I "re"read that book last year I only recalled two things, one from the beginning introduction and one from the last page of the conclusion.  Yes, a relatively short book but not an easy read, but rewarding if you're interested in history and want something from a less "Whiggish" (or Marxist) point of view.

6.  Return to Essentials by G R Elton

Frankies Girl

• Magnum Stache
  • Ghouls Just Wanna Have Funds!
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2023, 06:38:11 PM »
I'm IN! I am going to attempt to double the goal - 100 books. I used to devour books and am a speed reader when not dealing with ~waving hands around in a vauge sort of way ~ so I'm going to make it a self-care goal to READ for FUN.

COMPLETED

1. The Magpie Lord: Charm of Magpies (book 1) by KJ Charles
I'm trying to read more new works/first time authors, and also incorporating/expanding to include more LGBTQI+ authors and subjects. This book hits rather formulaic romance with some magic/fantasy/period piece. Main characters are interesting but hoped for a bit more development/depth (maybe as the series continues?) but there's definitely something good in there, nice back and forth and overall writing was engaging. I enjoyed it and will be continuing the series. 

IN PROGRESS

Leech by Hiron Ennes

I'm Glad My Mom Died by Jennette McCurdy (audiobook)

Tigerpine

• Bristles
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2023, 08:04:50 AM »
1.  A Random Walk Down Wall Street (12ed, 2011) by Burton G. Malkiel
2.  Delinquent:  Inside America's Debt Machine (2022) by Elena Botella
3.  IRAs, 401(k)s & Other Retirement Plans:  Strategies for Taking your Money Out (14ed, 2019) by Twila Slesnick & John C. Suttle
4.  Born to Buy (2004) by Juliet B. Schor

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2023, 08:34:38 AM »
How is Born to Buy? I've read two of Schor's other books and loved them both.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2023, 01:22:54 PM »
1: Starsight, by Brandon Sanderson

2. Bjørnstad, by Fredrik Backman.

Splashncash

• Bristles
« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2023, 02:25:06 PM »

Oooh, how did you like it?

Tigerpine

• Bristles
« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2023, 02:38:18 PM »
How is Born to Buy? I've read two of Schor's other books and loved them both.

It was interesting.  It's primarily about corporate marketing to children and the ill effects brought about.  My biggest gripe with the book is that it's 20 years old, and therefore out of date.  However, the rundown of the history and evolution of marketing to kids up to 2003 was very interesting.  All in all, I would recommend the book.

If you're in the Millenial Generation, the book will show you how corporate America tried to manipulate you as a child while denying their ability to influence you.  She compares their arguments to those used by Big Tobacco.

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2023, 02:46:05 PM »
Sounds like something I'll have to read!

Brit71

• Stubble
« Reply #36 on: January 11, 2023, 03:17:49 PM »
My first year of this

Return to Essentials, Some Reflections on the Present State of Historical Study - G R Elton

A set of five lectures on how history should be done by a reasonably conservative history professor (uncle of the left wing British comedian Ben Elton).  Another book of his was a set reading in my first term at university 30 years ago.  When I "re"read that book last year I only recalled two things, one from the beginning introduction and one from the last page of the conclusion.  Yes, a relatively short book but not an easy read, but rewarding if you're interested in history and want something from a less "Whiggish" (or Marxist) point of view.

Nations and Nationalism Since 1780 by Eric Hobsbawm

I've got a few books about nationalism from the library from different aspects (see book choice 4) and the modernist\Marxist perspective is an important one.  I read the author for A Level, the last 2 years of high school in the UK, and it's easier to see the Marxism shine through than it was then - and as this book was written in the late 1980s when it was all about to collapse I suspect this is less Marxist than the books I read.  Don't really agree with him about nationalism which he's sniffy about as I see a much closer link between nationalism and democracy and while Hobsbawm isn't sure he approves of either, he certainly doesn't see much of a link.  And all the class analysis really does look like he's fitting the facts to the theory even when it's clear he now doubts the theory to which he devoted his life.  Some nice anecdotes and illustrations though.

7.  Nations and Nationalism Since 1780 by Eric Hobsbawm

Log

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #37 on: January 11, 2023, 04:37:31 PM »
1. So Good They Can't Ignore You (Cal Newport)
2. The Death and Life of Great American Cities (Jane Jacobs)
3. The Simple Path to Wealth (JL Collins)

The Jane Jacobs book is a must-read imo. When I read a book like that it just makes me confused how anyone isn't fascinated by urban planning. The historical and sociological implications of these things are so far-reaching.

The other two books are also very good, just more redundant with info I'd already internalized. Would highly recommend either of them to the right person. I don't think anyone who's read the MMM blog extensively should need to read The Simple Path to Wealth, but I guess some comments I read here on the forums about stock-picking and market timing undermine that assumption somewhat.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2023, 04:39:59 PM by Log »

YellowCat

• Bristles
« Reply #38 on: January 11, 2023, 06:19:17 PM »
3. The Golden Enclaves, Naomi Novik
4. A Taste of Gold and Iron, Alexandra Rowland

PlanetDee

• Stubble
« Reply #39 on: January 12, 2023, 06:18:23 AM »
1. The Night Watchman by Louise Erdrich

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #40 on: January 12, 2023, 07:29:16 AM »

@Splashncash
I liked it really well. I read part three earlier, but am now reading the first two books.
This writer describes so well the thoughts and feelings of many different characters. And the dynamics in a small town. It is about ice hocky, but you don't need to be interested in that to enjoy the book. The book moves very fast from one character to another. A very different style from any other book I have read.
My DH gave the third book a chance and read 100 pages, but put it away. So not everybody loves the writing style.

Splashncash

• Bristles
« Reply #41 on: January 12, 2023, 09:44:30 AM »

@Splashncash
I liked it really well. I read part three earlier, but am now reading the first two books.
This writer describes so well the thoughts and feelings of many different characters. And the dynamics in a small town. It is about ice hocky, but you don't need to be interested in that to enjoy the book. The book moves very fast from one character to another. A very different style from any other book I have read.
My DH gave the third book a chance and read 100 pages, but put it away. So not everybody loves the writing style.

@Linea_Norway - I forgot how you said last year you read this one first.  I have read the first two and really enjoyed them but did find the topics more difficult than in his other books.  I agree with your explanation of how Backman writes his characters.  In reading this series about Beartown, I feel like each character is a fully fleshed out person you could meet.  Gldd you liked it.  I think I'm ready to tackle it although I may do it as an audiobook.  I like the narrator for this series.

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #42 on: January 12, 2023, 12:48:07 PM »
1) Also A Poet: Frank O'Hara, My Father, And Me by Ada Calhoun
2) Pure Colour by Sheila Heti (fiction)

recently finished/reading
3) On Beauty by Zadie Smith (fiction, bookclub)-- disappointed in this one. Some really unlikeable characters and not much pay-off for the effort IMO
4) The Orchid Thief: A True Story of Beauty and Obsession by Susan Orlean--started this last year but read over 1/2 of it this year so on the list it goes. Loved it. And watched Adaptation afterwards. So weird and good
5) Brain on Fire: My Month of Madness by Susannah Cahalan --only partway into this. I'm interested in the subject but the author wrote for tabloids so am worries that it is sensationalizing mental health issues. We shall see.

DNF
The New Good Life by John Robbins (audiobook)--didn't feel like it was going anywhere new
« Last Edit: January 12, 2023, 03:36:28 PM by Serendip »

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #43 on: January 12, 2023, 10:20:51 PM »
I have a handful of reading goals this year:

1. Backlog Challenge: Read or DNF all remaining unread works (mostly older/lesser known stuff) for three authors I really like: Mercedes Lackey, Neal Shusterman, and K.J. Parker. I may add Mike Resnick to the list after finishing one of the others.
2. Complete the Pot Thief series challenge. Exactly what it sounds like. When I finish that, I'll replace it with a fairy tale retelling series my boyfriend has been wanting me to read for a while.
3. Read 50 nonfiction books. I did this last year and found it really enriching to be constantly learning about a huge variety of topics throughout the year.

And of course, my usual 365 book challenge, of which all the above are included.

I've been reading a lot this year so far, so without further ado, first 20, favourites marked:

1. The Heretic Royal by G.A. Aiken
2. The Illusionist Brain: The Neuroscience of Magic by Jordi Cami

3. Purple and Black by K.J. Parker
Absolutely stellar novella told through correspondence between a newly-crowned emperor who never wanted the job, and his best friend he's assigned as governor in a remote but politically important region. Starts out with fantasy-bureaucratic hilarity, and evolves into... something else. One of the best books I've ever read, hands down. I couldn't sleep after I finished it.

4. The Djinn Falls in Love and Other Stories by Mavesh Murad
5. Blue and Gold by K.J. Parker
6. Academic Exercises by K.J. Parker
7. Born to Run by Mercedes Lackey
8. Ten Tomatoes that Changed the World by William Alexander
9. Bruiser by Neal Shusterman
10. Out of the Silent Planet by C.S. Lewis
11. The Pot Thief who Studied Ptolemy by J. Michael Orenduff
12. Downfall of the Gods by K.J. Parker

13. The Devil You Know by K.J. Parker
Another fantastic K.J. novella, this one centered around a man and a demon trying to outwit each other. Super clever, witty, and twisty, just a great time.

14. The Last Witness by K.J. Parker
15. The Pot Thief who Studied Einstein by J. Michael Orenduff

16. Lost in the Moment and Found by Seanan McGuire
Book eight in the Wayward Children series, and it is just fantastic, fresh, magical, but with incredibly dark themes.

17. The Father of Lies by K.J. Parker
18. Challenger Deep by Neal Shusterman
19. The Big Score by K.J. Parker
20. Life in Motion: An Unlikely Ballerina by Misty Copeland

Brit71

• Stubble
« Reply #44 on: January 13, 2023, 07:00:51 AM »
My first year of this

Nations and Nationalism Since 1780 by Eric Hobsbawm

I've got a few books about nationalism from the library from different aspects (see book choice 4) and the modernist\Marxist perspective is an important one.  I read the author for A Level, the last 2 years of high school in the UK, and it's easier to see the Marxism shine through than it was then - and as this book was written in the late 1980s when it was all about to collapse I suspect this is less Marxist than the books I read.  Don't really agree with him about nationalism which he's sniffy about as I see a much closer link between nationalism and democracy and while Hobsbawm isn't sure he approves of either, he certainly doesn't see much of a link.  And all the class analysis really does look like he's fitting the facts to the theory even when it's clear he now doubts the theory to which he devoted his life.  Some nice anecdotes and illustrations though.

The Construction of Nationhood by Adrian Hastings

Marxists apparently argue that nationalism wasn't a big factor until the late eighteenth century.  Then you had capitalism and the bourgeoise going up and if not inventing, but "imagining" nations.  Hobsbawm, my previous author almost argues that.  As does Benedict Anderson who I'm reading alongside this book.  There are some massive gaps that they try to adapt for.  This book argues against that, and that a lot of European nations were nations as well as states in medieval times and were almost fully formed by the late eighteenth century.  The French didn't become a recognisably French nation just before the French Revolution.  This gives plenty of examples.  It's also shot through with a Christian argument that Christianity made different nations more acceptable and provided church structures that didn't just constrict growing nationalism but also gave it form.  I can see his point but not sure I buy it as much as I bought the idea that nations were robust solid entities before 1750.  It's not just because I reject the Marxist straightjacket on history, it's more fundamental.  I can read what Shakespeare says about St Crispin's Day or This sceptered isle.

7.  Nations and Nationalism Since 1780 by Eric Hobsbawm
8.  The Construction of Nationhood by Adrian Hastings

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #45 on: January 13, 2023, 07:03:18 PM »
1.  A Particular Kind of Black Man, by Tope Folarin (Jan 3) (audio).

2.  Ill Will, by Dan Chaon (Jan 13). Had a lot of promise, very complex, nuanced and engaging.  I felt deflated at the end, though.

Frankies Girl

• Magnum Stache
  • Ghouls Just Wanna Have Funds!
« Reply #46 on: January 13, 2023, 07:11:30 PM »
Quote from: Frankies Girl

1. The Magpie Lord: Charm of Magpies (book 1) by KJ Charles

COMPLETED

2. I'm Glad My Mom Died by Jennette McCurdy (audiobook)
The author read this herself, and at times it was shocking how deadpan she was during the reciting of some really awful things that happened to her. I wasn't familiar with her tv career, but the abuse/trauma is quite familiar. OMG that poor woman and my heart breaks for the loss of her childhood and what she lived through. Her mother was a narcissistic, controlling (totally fucked up) parent, and I hope that McCurdy is happy and healthy now because she definitely deserves it.

IN PROGRESS

Leech by Hiron Ennes

Raenia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #47 on: January 14, 2023, 07:14:50 AM »
TitleAuthorSourceReasonDate CompletedGenre
1The Sandman: The WakeNeil GaimanLibrarySequel1/1/2023Fiction - Fantasy
DNFDr ZhivagoBoris PasternakLibraryTBR ListN/AGeneral Fiction
2Death: The High Cost of LivingNeil GaimanLibrarySequel1/7/2023Fiction - Fantasy
3Death: The Time of Your LifeNeil GaimanLibrarySequel1/7/2023Fiction - Fantasy
4Death and VeniceNeil GaimanLibrarySequel1/8/2022Fiction - Fantasy
5BelovedToni MorrisonLibraryTBR List1/13/2023Fiction - Historical

I'm trying to be kinder to myself this year and encourage more DNFs. To that end, I'm counting DNFs toward my category completions this year.

Nonfiction - 0
From TBR - 2
Sequels - 3

Vashy

• Bristles
« Reply #48 on: January 14, 2023, 07:53:25 AM »
1. On Moral Fiction - John Gardner (so, so boring, was skimming the second half)

Splashncash

• Bristles
« Reply #49 on: January 14, 2023, 06:30:18 PM »
1. Switchboard Soldiers by Jennifer Chiaverini

2. Welcome to the School by the Sea by Jenny Colgan
3. Rules at the School by the Sea by Jenny Colgan
4. When you Reach Me by Rebecca Stead

DNF
Outline by Rachel Cusk
The Hero of this Book by Elizabeth McCracken