Author Topic: 50 Books in 2022!  (Read 50975 times)

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
Re: 50 Books in 2022!
« Reply #250 on: March 14, 2022, 08:18:30 PM »

• A Deadly Education by Novik.  First in a series.  Imagine Hogwart's School of Magic run by a magical "Expert System" and it develops tremendous safety issues, which are patched over with all the love, human care and empathy one would expect from Ayn Rand about to have to spend a $1 to help someone less well off than her.   Great fantasy read.

Thanks for the Deadly Education recommendation. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Was my review spot on?

nessness

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #251 on: March 14, 2022, 11:37:26 PM »
6. The Hiding Place by Corrie Ten Boom. Really powerful - a true story of a Dutch Christian woman who was imprisoned for hiding Jews during WW2.

7. The Dutch House by Ann Patchett. I enjoyed this book, and Tom Hanks did a superb job narrating the audiobook.

8. Living the Sabbath by Norm Wirzba. Not really what I was looking for (I was wanting a more practical guide to the Sabbath), but a good read nevertheless.

9. Klara and the Sun by Kazuo Ishiguro. Sci Fi novel from the perspective of an AI. I really wanted to like this, but while the author created an interesting future, he glossed over way too many aspects of it. I read a review that described it as "frustratingly vague", which sums up my feelings as well.

YellowCat

• Bristles
« Reply #252 on: March 15, 2022, 04:46:06 PM »
  • Like No Other Lover, Julie Ann Long
  • Malice, Heather Walter
  • An Unexpected Peril, Deanna Raybourn
  • Matrix, Lauren Groff
  • The Beekeeper’s Apprentice, Laurie R. King
  • Half Sick of Shadows, Laura Sebastian
  • A Monstrous Regiment of Women, Laurie R. King
  • A Letter of Mary, Laurie R. King
  • The Kingdoms, Natasha Pulley
  • The Moor, Laurie R. King
  • Go Tell the Bees that I Am Gone, Diana Gabaldon
  • The Last Graduate, Naomi Novik
  • The Betrayals, Bridget Collins
  • O Jerusalem, Laurie R. King
  • The Once and Future Witches, Alix E. Harrow
  • Justice Hall, Laurie R. King

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #253 on: March 15, 2022, 07:52:06 PM »
1.  Little Bee, by Chris Cleave (Jan 4). 
2.  Howl's Moving Castle, by Diana Wynne Jones (Jan 7) (audio).
3.  Apples Never Fall, by Liane Moriarty (Jan 12) (audio). 
4.  Queenie, by Candice Carty-Williams (Jan 19) (audio).
5.  The Dark Forest (Remembrance of Earth’s Past, #2), by Liu Cixin (Jan 20).
6.  Rogue Protocol (The Murderbot Diaries, #3), by Martha Wells (Jan 25) (audio).
7.  Conscious: A Brief Guide to the Fundamental Mystery of the Mind, by Annaka Harris (Jan 27) (audio).
8.  The Color of Magic (Discworld, #1), by Terry Pratchett (Jan 27).
9.  Enough.: True Measures of Money, Business, and Life, by John C. Bogle (Jan 31). 
10.  How the Word Is Passed: A Reckoning with the History of Slavery Across America, by Clint Smith (Feb 2) (audio).
11.  Shuggie Bain, by Douglas Stuart (Feb 10) (audio). 
12.  John Dies at the End, by David Wong (Feb 10) (audio).
13.  Cold Mountain Path: the Ghost Town Decades of McCarthy-Kennecott, Alaska, by Tom Kizzia (Feb 11).
14.  The Maidens, by Alex Michaelides (Feb 25) (audio). Not bad murder mystery, but with far too many red herrings.
15.  Harlem Shuffle, by Colson Whitehead (Feb 27).  My expectations were too high, but it was still worthwhile.
16.  The Extended Mind: The Power of Thinking Outside the Brain, by Annie Murphy Paul (Mar 7) (audio).
17.  Death's End (Remembrance of Earth’s Past #3), by Cixin Liu (Mar 9).
18.  The Library Book, by Susan Orlean (Mar 10) (audio).
19.  I'm Thinking of Ending Things, by Iain Reid (Mar 11) (audio).
20.  Matrix, by Lauren Groff (Mar 12).

21.  The Portable Atheist: Essential Readings for the Non-Believer, by Christopher Hitchens (ed.) (Mar 14) (audio).  Truly an impressive collection of writers and thinkers.  But actually not ideal for audio as the florid language of the 15th-19th century writers had me zoning out too often.

22.  The Last Thing He Told Me, by Laura Dave (Mar 15) (audio).  This kept me good company during a sleepless night and then a long wait for a very delayed flight, so I appreciate it despite what I perceived as many flaws.

DNF
Labyrinths: Selected Stories & Other Writings, by Jose Luis Borges.  Recognized I just can't struggle through much of the writing of these early/mid-20th century intellectuals and philosophers, as in this book. 
« Last Edit: March 16, 2022, 10:14:10 AM by sui generis »

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
  • Insert dough/bread/crust joke
« Reply #254 on: March 15, 2022, 08:10:10 PM »
13. Four thousand weeks by Oliver Burkeman. I've enjoyed another book by this author and was not disappointed. I now have to unlearn many years of productivity indoctrination. Which is funny because his previous book was about productivity. This book is him admitting he was wrong!  In a nutshell: you'll die before you know it, it's highly likely that nothing that you do will be outstanding, you are insignificant, so just do want matters to you and be present for yourself and those that need you. 4.5/5 I only docked half a point because I'm left reeling a bit and wondering what to do now. It could have done with a tiny bit more hand-holding. 

Wolfpack Mustachian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #255 on: March 15, 2022, 09:40:56 PM »

• A Deadly Education by Novik.  First in a series.  Imagine Hogwart's School of Magic run by a magical "Expert System" and it develops tremendous safety issues, which are patched over with all the love, human care and empathy one would expect from Ayn Rand about to have to spend a $1 to help someone less well off than her.   Great fantasy read.

Thanks for the Deadly Education recommendation. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Was my review spot on?

It really was! I think your review needs to be on the back cover of the book :-). Just when you think the place is bad enough, it gets worse; no one does anything about it, and their kids are there!

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #256 on: March 16, 2022, 02:51:00 PM »
1. ABC van de Bio Groententuin (ABC of the Bio vegetable garden) by Rosenn Le Page.
2. Fall of Giants, by Ken Follett.
3. Holzer's permacultuur, by Sepp Holzer.
4. The Black Swan by Nassim Nicholas Taleb.
5. 2070, by Bjørn H. Samset.
6. Tyll, by Daniel Kehlmann. About Tijl Uilenspiegel. Nice book.
7. Blomsterdalen (The Flower Valley), by Niviaq Korneliussen.
8. Det burer morskt i fjelldalen * Vidt omkring * Helleristning ved fossen, by Mikkjel Fønhus.
9. Dyrk enkelt (Grow simply), by Maria Berg Hestad.
10. The Soul of an Octopus by Sy Montgomery.
11. Piranesi by Susanna Clarke.
12. Født sånn eller blitt sånn (Born like that or become like that) by Harald Eia and Ole-Kristian Ihle.
13. Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson
14. The Well of ascension, by Brandon Sanderson
15. The Hero of Ages, by Brandon Sanderson.
16. The Darwin Affair, by Tim Mason

17. Treboka (The tree book) by Sigri Sandberg.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #257 on: March 19, 2022, 12:39:36 PM »
1. ABC van de Bio Groententuin (ABC of the Bio vegetable garden) by Rosenn Le Page.
8. Det burer morskt i fjelldalen * Vidt omkring * Helleristning ved fossen, by Mikkjel Fønhus.
12. Født sånn eller blitt sånn (Born like that or become like that) by Harald Eia and Ole-Kristian Ihle.

18. En nasjon i sjakk (a Nation in Chess), by Johan Høst.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #258 on: March 19, 2022, 08:04:56 PM »
6.  Rogue Protocol (The Murderbot Diaries, #3), by Martha Wells (Jan 25) (audio).
7.  Conscious: A Brief Guide to the Fundamental Mystery of the Mind, by Annaka Harris (Jan 27) (audio).
9.  Enough.: True Measures of Money, Business, and Life, by John C. Bogle (Jan 31). 
10.  How the Word Is Passed: A Reckoning with the History of Slavery Across America, by Clint Smith (Feb 2) (audio).
13.  Cold Mountain Path: the Ghost Town Decades of McCarthy-Kennecott, Alaska, by Tom Kizzia (Feb 11).
14.  The Maidens, by Alex Michaelides (Feb 25) (audio). Not bad murder mystery, but with far too many red herrings.
15.  Harlem Shuffle, by Colson Whitehead (Feb 27).  My expectations were too high, but it was still worthwhile.
16.  The Extended Mind: The Power of Thinking Outside the Brain, by Annie Murphy Paul (Mar 7) (audio).
21.  The Portable Atheist: Essential Readings for the Non-Believer, by Christopher Hitchens (ed.) (Mar 14) (audio).
22.  The Last Thing He Told Me, by Laura Dave (Mar 15) (audio).

DNF
Labyrinths: Selected Stories & Other Writings, by Jose Luis Borges.  Recognized I just can't struggle through much of the writing of these early/mid-20th century intellectuals and philosophers, as in this book.

23.  Red Clocks, by Leni Zumas (Mar 18) (audio).  Great storytelling of an alternate present that relfects our own soon-to-be future that criminalizes women's autonomy and what it means to be a woman in different situations and times.

24.  New Waves, by Kevin Nguyen (Mar 19).  I really enjoyed this novel; much more character-driven than plot-driven, but not a bad thing in this case.

Frankies Girl

• Magnum Stache
  • Ghouls Just Wanna Have Funds!
« Reply #259 on: March 19, 2022, 09:55:42 PM »
Quoting myself so I can refer back to the previous book list...

COMPLETED

16. The complete Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi
Persepolis is the story of Marjane Satrapi's childhood and coming of age within a large and loving family in Tehran during the Islamic Revolution; of the contradictions between private life and public life in a country plagued by political upheaval; of her high school years in Vienna facing the trials of adolescence far from her family; of her homecoming--both sweet and terrible; and, finally, of her self-imposed exile from her beloved homeland. I loved this, but it really made me sad about how little I knew about this happening in the world when I was a kid during this same time period. U.S., and really makes me angry that there is a push to remove books like this from schools considering.

17. The midnight library by Matt Haig
This one was great, but also kind of a gut punch. It's about the idea that there are infinite lives being lived for all of us, every one at the same time. The main character Nora has lived a life filled with regrets and loss and sadness and as she contemplates killing herself, she arrives in the Midnight Library. A place in between time and space, containing every possible life that Nora could have lived, and she is allowed to choose any or all of them to see all the kinds of lives she could have lived.

TO READ

Miss Peregrine's home for Peculiar Children, by Ransom Riggs
The winter of the witch: a novel by Katherine Arden (3rd book in Winternight Trilogy)
Shakespeare for squirrels: a novel by Christopher Moore
The cousins by Karen M. McManus
The Best of Me by David Sedaris

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #260 on: March 20, 2022, 09:25:48 AM »

19. Dyrking på en liten plass (Cultivation in a small place), by Tommy Tønsberg and Kenneth Ingebretsen.

Frankies Girl

• Magnum Stache
  • Ghouls Just Wanna Have Funds!
« Reply #261 on: March 20, 2022, 08:10:12 PM »
Quoting myself so I can refer back to the previous book list...

COMPLETED

18. The cousins by Karen M. McManus
Nice YA novel. Family sucks sometimes, and in this case there was a nifty little mystery. It was a fast read for me and lacked serious substance but still nicely crafted novel and I basically enjoyed it.

TO READ

Miss Peregrine's home for Peculiar Children, by Ransom Riggs
The winter of the witch: a novel by Katherine Arden (3rd book in Winternight Trilogy)
Shakespeare for squirrels: a novel by Christopher Moore
The Best of Me by David Sedaris

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #262 on: March 20, 2022, 08:26:32 PM »
14. Heart to Start: The story of a global startup plus a guide for turning your ideas into action by Derek Handley. Quite a good memoir in that it shows the sacrifice that goes into building a medium sized tech business from scratch. Also that an entrepreneurial/ business family background gives you a good headstart. The guide bit isn't that great. 3.5/5. This was a re-read but I didn't enjoy it as much now I know from experience how much work building a business is. He makes it sound too easy in some ways.

15. Superpower: Australia's Low Carbon Opportunity by Ross Garnaut. This book spells out how Australia can lead the way on the net zero carbon transition and get very rich in the process. It also describes the frustrating reasons why we aren't on this course. 3.5/5 Bit dry and stilted in parts and lacking detail in others. Every policy maker should have read it though.

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #263 on: March 21, 2022, 09:40:37 PM »
Next 10, favourites marked:

81. Strange Love by Ann Aguirre
82. Love Code by Ann Aguirre
83. Renegade Love by Ann Aguirre
84. The Best Thing You Can Steal by Simon Green

85. Johannes Cabal the Necromancer by Jonathan Howard
A hilarious comedy-horror about a necromancer trying to get his soul back from the devil, in a creepy-ass carnival setting. Really, really unique.

86. Kundo Wakes Up by Saad Hossain

87. Crowbones by Anne Bishop
I loved the latest installment in the Others series. The funny misunderstandings between the humans and various nonhuman species still crack me up even at book #8 of the series.

88. Flowers for the Sea by Zin Rocklyn
89. The Third Mrs. Durst by Ann Aguirre
90. The Light of the Midnight Stars by Rena Rossner

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #264 on: March 22, 2022, 12:07:03 PM »
19. Dyrking på en liten plass (Cultivation in a small place), by Tommy Tønsberg and Kenneth Ingebretsen.

20. Lettstelt kjøkkenhage (The Low Maintenance Vegetable Garden), by Clare Matthews.

Dr Kidstache

• Bristles
« Reply #265 on: March 22, 2022, 12:31:25 PM »
1. Vanishing Falls by Poppy Gee. Australian crime fiction (audiobook)
2. The Dark Forest by Cixin Liu. Science fiction
3. Salvage the Bones by Jesmyn Ward. Literary fiction
4. The Woman Who Married A Bear by John Straley.  Alaska detective novel (audiobook)
5. The Witch Elm by Tana French. Irish crime fiction
6. The Promise by Damon Galgut. Literary fiction (audiobook)
7. Dune by Frank Herbert. Science fiction
8. Old Baggage by Lissa Evans. Historical fiction
9. What You Don't See (Chicago Mysteries #3) by Tracy Clark. Chicago detective novel (audiobook)
10. What Fresh Hell is This?: Perimenopause, Menopause, Other Indignities, and You by Heather Corinna. Nonfiction
11. The Veiled Assassin (Embers of Empire #1) by Q.V. Hunter. Historical fiction
12. Vagabonds by Hao Jingfang (audiobook)
13. The Man Who Died Twice (Thursday Murder Club #2) by Richard Osman. Mystery
14. Runner (Chicago Mysteries #4) by Tracy Clark. Chicago detective novel (audiobook)
15. The White Mirror: A Mystery (Li Du #2) by Elsa Hart. 18th century Chinese librarian detective novel (audiobook)
16. Razorblade Tears by S.A. Crosby. Crime fiction (audiobook)
17. Girls Who Lie (Forbidden Iceland #2) by Eva Bjorg Aegisdottir. Iceland detective novel
18. How the Word is Passed: A Reckoning with the History of Slavery Across America by Clint Smith. Non-fiction
19. The Giant, O'Brien by Hilary Mantel. Literary fiction.

20. The House of Ashes by Stuart Neville. Gothic thriller (audiobook)

Watchmaker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #266 on: March 22, 2022, 06:33:34 PM »
The Lying Life of Adults, Elena Ferrante
Midnight In Chernobyl, Adam Higginbotham
Parable of the Sower, Octavia Butler
The Big Short, Michael Lewis
The Looming Tower, Lawrence Wright
Between the World and Me, Ta-Nehisi Coates
The Fellowship of the Ring, J.R.R. Tolkien (reread)
Great Streets, Allan Jacobs
Legacy of Ashes, Tim Weiner (DNF; didn't like the writing style)
The Two Towers, J.R.R. Tolkien (reread)
Medea, Christa Wolf
Aspects of the Novel, E.M. Forster

Weisass

• Pencil Stache
    • "Deeper In Me Than I"
« Reply #267 on: March 23, 2022, 01:18:23 PM »
Bewilderment by Richard powers

These two are probably my next two reads. Thoughts?

Bewilderment was good. Not as good as overstory, but well written. I would recommend it.

Weisass

• Pencil Stache
    • "Deeper In Me Than I"
« Reply #268 on: March 23, 2022, 01:21:04 PM »

Completed:
  • Bewilderment by Richard powers
  • Same Kind of Different As Me (horrible, IMO, but read because it was recommended by someone at church)
  • The myth of closure by Pauline boss
  • B.L.E.S.S. (for work)
  • Lost In the valley of death by Harley Rustad
  • Atlas of the heart by Brene Brown
  • The Last Mrs Parrish by Liv Constantine
  • I'm Still Here: Black Dignity in a World Made for Whiteness by Austin Channing Brown
  • The Road by Cormac McCarthy
  • The Eye of the World by Robert Jordan
  • The Sweetness of a Simple Life by Diane Beresford-Kreuger
Unfinished:

• On the road with st. Augustine by James KA smithreally interesting by quite a dense read, so it’s been hard to get through more than 20 pgs at a time
  • Cloud Cuckoo Land by Anthony Doerr
  • Babylon Berlin by volker kutscher

Splashncash

• Bristles
« Reply #269 on: March 23, 2022, 06:33:49 PM »
1. Exit Strategy by Martha Wells
2. A Nantucket Christmas by Nancy Thayer
3. The Last Thing He Told Me by Laura Dave
4. Fugitive Telemetry by Martha Wells
5. Betwixt by Darynda Jones
6. The Long Call by Ann Cleeves
7. Cloud Cuckoo Land by Anthony Doerr
8. Aunt Dimity and the Heart of Gold by Nancy Atherton
9. The Crow Trap by Ann Cleeves
10. Winter in Paradise by Elin Hilderbrand
11. The Last Train to Key West by Chanel Cleeton
12. Tin Camp Road by Ellen Airgood
13. The Irresistible Blueberry Bakeshop & Cafe by Mary Simses - bleah
14. The Rules of Love & Grammar by Mary Simses - bleah
15. Evvie Drake Starts Over by Linda Holmes
16. Winter Solstice by Rosamunde Pilcher
17. Telling Tales by Ann Cleeves
18. Deal Breaker by Harlan Coben
19. Drop Shot by Harlan Coben
20. Fade Away by Harlan Coben
21. Hidden Depths by Ann Cleeves
22. Silent Voices by Ann Cleeves

DNF
The Wisteria Society of Lady Scoundrels by India Holton
Raven Black by Ann Cleeves
Matrix by Lauren Groff (audio; I DNFed the hard back version last year and thought I would give audio a try)
The House in the Cerulean Sea by TJ Klune
Come Fly the World by Julia Cooke

The Man Who Died Twice by Richard Osman
23. Taste by Stanley Tucci
24. The Thursday Murder Club by Richard Osman (audio)
25. The Girl on the Shore by Ann Cleeves
26. The Second-Worst Restaurant in France by Alexander McCall Smith
27. Back Spin by Harlan Coben
28. One False Move by Harlan Coben
29. The Final Detail by Harlan Coben

DNF
Pies and Prejudice by Ellery Adams

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #270 on: March 24, 2022, 01:20:28 PM »
20. Lettstelt kjøkkenhage (The Low Maintenance Vegetable Garden), by Clare Matthews.

21. Kjøkkenhage (Kitchen garden), Kirsty McKinnon.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #271 on: March 24, 2022, 01:30:12 PM »
21.  The Portable Atheist: Essential Readings for the Non-Believer, by Christopher Hitchens (ed.) (Mar 14) (audio).
22.  The Last Thing He Told Me, by Laura Dave (Mar 15) (audio).
23.  Red Clocks, by Leni Zumas (Mar 18) (audio).
24.  New Waves, by Kevin Nguyen (Mar 19).

DNF
Labyrinths: Selected Stories & Other Writings, by Jose Luis Borges.

25.  The Last Guest, by Tess Little (Mar 23) (audio). An average murder mystery/drama.

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #272 on: March 24, 2022, 01:56:33 PM »
16. A Year of Love by Courtney Symes. A friend wrote this & self published so I bought a copy. It's just a sweet little summary of the wisdom she's collected to live a peaceful and content life.

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #273 on: March 24, 2022, 04:02:49 PM »

1) The Shepherd’s Life: Modern Dispatches from an Ancient Landscape by James Rebanks   
2) Kiss of the Fur Queen (fiction) by Tomson Highway
3) See No Stranger: A Memoir and Manifesto of Revolutionary Love by Valerie Kaur, *bookclub 
4) Because Internet: Understanding the New Rules of Language by Gretchen McCulloch
5) No Recipe: Cooking as Spiritual Practice by Edward Espe Brown
6) Winter Pasture: One Woman's Journey w/ China's Kazakh Herders by Li Juan
7) Wild Signs and Star Paths: Natural Navigation by Tristan Gooley
8) Caste: The Origins of Our Discontents by Isabel Wilkerson
9) The Almanack of Naval Ravikant: A Guide to Wealth and Happiness by Eric Jorgenson (audiobook)
10) Salt Fat Acid Heat: Mastering the Elements of Good Cooking by Samin Nosrat
11) Still Life by Anoushka Khan (graphic novel)
12) What Artists Wear by Charlie Porter
13) The Science of Enlightenment: How Meditation Works by Shinzen Young **twice
14) The Way Out: A Revolutionary, Scientifically Proven Approach to Healing Chronic Pain by Alan Gordon and Alon Ziv (audiobook).
15) Poor Richard's Retirement: Retirement for Everyday Americans by Aaron Clarey
16) Predictably Irrational: The Hidden Forces That Shape Our Decisions by Dan Ariely
17) Talking To Strangers: What We Should Know About the People We Don't Know by Malcolm Gladwell (audiobook)
18) On Becoming An Alchemist: A Guide to the Modern Magician by Catherin MacCoun
19) The Gift of Our Compulsions by Mary O'Malley

recently finished/reading
(also still finishing up 18 & 19)
20) The Reading List by Sara Nisha Adams (fiction, *bookclub)--didn't like this one much. An okay idea about how books (and libraries) can connect us but seemed superficial even when dealing with deeper subjects.

21) Neurodharma: New Science, Ancient Wisdom, and Seven Practices of the Highest Happiness by Hanson, Rick - interesting but didn't capture me as much as others I've read recently

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #274 on: March 24, 2022, 07:55:53 PM »
Italics are in progress.
Bold is done.

In no particular order.

• The Screenwriter's Bible by Trottier, 4th edition.   Great book, clearly lays out how to format a screen play and gives good advice on content as well.
  • Save The Cat Writes a Novel by Brody.   So-so book on writing a novel.   Gave me some good ideas but it's a bit formulaic.
  • The Screenwriter's Troubleshooter by Oberg.  Great book.  Lists common "problem comments" a screen play author might get back after submitting it and how to fix the problem.
  •   General Patton's Principles for Life and Leadership by Williamson.  Found a copy of a book I read decades ago and truly liked, but lost my copy.   Misremembered the title so it's taken decades to find it again. Got it in the mail and re-read it in one day.   Just as good as I remembered it.  Written by a Lt. who served on his staff in '41 and '42.
  • The Last Graduate by Novik. 2nd in a series.   Read #1 in a day, went and bought this one and read it the next.
  • A Nasty Way to Die by Rice.   2nd in a series.  Light mystery novel.
  • Rhino 6.0  for Jewelry  by Buscaglia.   Not a good tutorial, but shows how to do lots of things in the Rhino 6.0 3D design software.
  • Screenwriting Unchained by Oberg.   Great book.  About 20% in, but I really like this approach to crafting a story.   This one is a winner.
  • Digital Media Series: Rhinoceros by Rhee and Kim.   Covers Rhino software.
  • The Elements of Eloquence by Forsyth.  A good read on the bazillion different types of eloquent figures of speech.
  • The Art of Fine Enameling by Cohen.   Great book, part way thru, deserves a detailed read cover to cover.
  • The screen play I'm writing this year.  Hey, it counts!
  • Digital Media Series: Grasshopper by Rhee and Kim.  Covers parametric modeling in Rhino software.
  • The Golden Enclaves by Novik.  3rd in a series.   Pre-ordered, have to wait until September. :(
  • Screenplay: The Foundations of Screenwriting by Field.
  • Save the Cat! by Snyder.   About screenplay writing.  Hoping it will be better than its spin-off for writing novels.
  • Write Your Novel in a Month by Gerke.   Got this before I found the Screenwriter's Bible, but still want to read it.
  • Story by McKee.   On Screenwriting.
  • Lovecraft Country by Ruff.  Thought the series was very well done, want to know more.
  • Art of Drawing: The Complete Course
  • Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain by Edwards
  • Designing Tessellations by Beyer.   Read this a couple of years ago and want to re-read it as I think I'll be ready to put it to use later this year.
  • Behind the Brooch by Angulo.  Covers the back side of a brooch/pin.   Want to re-read it and scavenge good ideas into 3D design components I can pop onto a newly designed piece.
  • The Screenwriter's Bible by Trottier, 6th Edition.

I think this will keep me busy.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #275 on: March 26, 2022, 07:49:53 AM »
21. Kjøkkenhage (Kitchen garden), Kirsty McKinnon.

22. Around the world in 80 plants, by Stephen Barstow. About edible plants, mostly perennials.
Not read completely, but noted down all plants, translated the Norwegian name and noted the particulars.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2022, 09:42:42 AM by Linea_Norway »

Splashncash

• Bristles
« Reply #276 on: March 26, 2022, 10:56:34 AM »
1. Exit Strategy by Martha Wells
2. A Nantucket Christmas by Nancy Thayer
3. The Last Thing He Told Me by Laura Dave
4. Fugitive Telemetry by Martha Wells
5. Betwixt by Darynda Jones
6. The Long Call by Ann Cleeves
7. Cloud Cuckoo Land by Anthony Doerr
8. Aunt Dimity and the Heart of Gold by Nancy Atherton
9. The Crow Trap by Ann Cleeves
10. Winter in Paradise by Elin Hilderbrand
11. The Last Train to Key West by Chanel Cleeton
12. Tin Camp Road by Ellen Airgood
13. The Irresistible Blueberry Bakeshop & Cafe by Mary Simses - bleah
14. The Rules of Love & Grammar by Mary Simses - bleah
15. Evvie Drake Starts Over by Linda Holmes
16. Winter Solstice by Rosamunde Pilcher
17. Telling Tales by Ann Cleeves
18. Deal Breaker by Harlan Coben
19. Drop Shot by Harlan Coben
20. Fade Away by Harlan Coben
21. Hidden Depths by Ann Cleeves
22. Silent Voices by Ann Cleeves
23. The Man Who Died Twice by Richard Osman
24. Taste by Stanley Tucci
25. The Thursday Murder Club by Richard Osman (audio)
26. The Girl on the Shore by Ann Cleeves
27. The Second-Worst Restaurant in France by Alexander McCall Smith
28. Back Spin by Harlan Coben
29. One False Move by Harlan Coben
30. The Final Detail by Harlan Coben

DNF
The Wisteria Society of Lady Scoundrels by India Holton
Raven Black by Ann Cleeves
Matrix by Lauren Groff (audio; I DNFed the hard back version last year and thought I would give audio a try)
The House in the Cerulean Sea by TJ Klune
Come Fly the World by Julia Cooke
Pies and Prejudice by Ellery Adams

31. The Doomsday Book by Connie Willis
32. Magpie Murders by Anthony Horowitz

Dr Kidstache

• Bristles
« Reply #277 on: March 26, 2022, 02:07:21 PM »
4. The Woman Who Married A Bear by John Straley.  Alaska detective novel (audiobook)
9. What You Don't See (Chicago Mysteries #3) by Tracy Clark. Chicago detective novel (audiobook)
10. What Fresh Hell is This?: Perimenopause, Menopause, Other Indignities, and You by Heather Corinna. Nonfiction
11. The Veiled Assassin (Embers of Empire #1) by Q.V. Hunter. Historical fiction
14. Runner (Chicago Mysteries #4) by Tracy Clark. Chicago detective novel (audiobook)
15. The White Mirror: A Mystery (Li Du #2) by Elsa Hart. 18th century Chinese librarian detective novel (audiobook)
17. Girls Who Lie (Forbidden Iceland #2) by Eva Bjorg Aegisdottir. Iceland detective novel
18. How the Word is Passed: A Reckoning with the History of Slavery Across America by Clint Smith. Non-fiction

21. The Love Songs of W.E.B Dubois by Honoree Fanonne Jeffers. Literary fiction.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #278 on: March 26, 2022, 05:31:49 PM »

21. The Love Songs of W.E.B Dubois by Honoree Fanonne Jeffers. Literary fiction.

Did you enjoy?  A friend adored it and it's on my list.  I'm trying to decide priority for it...

YellowCat

• Bristles
« Reply #279 on: March 26, 2022, 06:48:28 PM »
    • Malice, Heather Walter
    • Matrix, Lauren Groff
    • The House in the Cerulean Sea, TJ Klune

Dr Kidstache

• Bristles
« Reply #280 on: March 26, 2022, 07:21:08 PM »

Did you enjoy?  A friend adored it and it's on my list.  I'm trying to decide priority for it...

I have to confess, I was disappointed (I know! I think I'm the only one!). Possibly because I had such high expectations? I was so excited to read it. The concept of the novel is really captivating (intertwining the stories of the ancestors of a young African American woman and her family in a small Georgia town) and it's gotten such raves. But I found the writing to be flat. For example, I thought that characters often telegraphed their intentions or actions very directly rather than through action in the story. Some characters seemed to be 2-dimensional and I sometimes couldn't distinguish between characters from the dialogue. I feel like, in trying to tell *all* the stories, none of the stories were as nuanced as I wanted from the book. The cover compares the book to Jesmyn Ward's "Sing Unburied Sing" and I didn't think the writing is in the same league as that honestly.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #281 on: March 26, 2022, 09:20:02 PM »

I have to confess, I was disappointed (I know! I think I'm the only one!). Possibly because I had such high expectations? I was so excited to read it. The concept of the novel is really captivating (intertwining the stories of the ancestors of a young African American woman and her family in a small Georgia town) and it's gotten such raves. But I found the writing to be flat. For example, I thought that characters often telegraphed their intentions or actions very directly rather than through action in the story. Some characters seemed to be 2-dimensional and I sometimes couldn't distinguish between characters from the dialogue. I feel like, in trying to tell *all* the stories, none of the stories were as nuanced as I wanted from the book. The cover compares the book to Jesmyn Ward's "Sing Unburied Sing" and I didn't think the writing is in the same league as that honestly.

Well now that you've lowered my expectations, maybe I'll really like it (haha)! 

Haven't read Sing, Unburied Sing.

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #282 on: March 26, 2022, 10:20:10 PM »
17. The B Corp Handbook: How you can use business as a force for good by Ryan Honeyman and Tiffany Jaya. 2nd edition. I skimmed a couple of the more nitty gritty chapters but good to know the basics.

Raenia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #283 on: March 27, 2022, 07:48:18 AM »
1Between Parent and Child: New Solutions to Old ProblemsHaim G GinottLibraryTBR List1/2/2022Nonfiction - Self-help
2The Drowned WorldJ.G. BallardLibraryTBR List1/3/2022Fiction - Science Fiction
3The Charmed SphereCatherine AsaroOwnReread1/7/2022Fiction - Fantasy
4Phantastes: A Faerie Romance for Men and WomenGeorge MacDonaldLibraryTBR List1/10/2022Fiction - Fantasy
5It's Never Too Late to Begin Again: Discovering Creativity and Meaning at Midlife and BeyondJulia CameronLibraryTBR List1/13/2022Nonfiction - Self-help
6The Day of the TriffidsJohn WyndhamLibraryTBR List1/15/2022Fiction - Science Fiction
7Liberated Parents, Liberated Children: Your Guide to a Happier FamilyAdele Faber, Elaine MazlishLibraryTBR List1/16/2022Nonfiction - Self-help
8Pawn of ProphecyDavid EddingsOwnReread1/21/2022Fiction - Fantasy
9Queen of SorceryDavid EddingsOwnReread1/23/2022Fiction - Fantasy
10Magician's GambitDavid EddingsOwnReread1/25/2022Fiction - Fantasy
11Castle of WizardryDavid EddingsOwnReread1/27/2022Fiction - Fantasy
12Enchanter's End GameDavid EddingsOwnReread1/29/2022Fiction - Fantasy
13Godel, Escher, Bach: an Eternal Golden BraidDouglass R HofstadterLibraryTBR List2/2/2022Nonfiction - Philosophy
14How to Talk so Kids will Listen & Listen so Kids will TalkAdele Faber, Elaine MazlishLibraryTBR List2/5/2022Nonfiction - Self-help
15The Rise and Fall of the House of MediciChristopher HibbertOwnOther2/6/2022Nonfiction - History/Biography
16Leviathan FallsJames S.A. CoreyLibrarySequel2/7/2022Fiction - Science Fiction
17Guardians of the WestDavid EddingsOwnReread2/9/2022Fiction - Fantasy
18King of the MurgosDavid EddingsOwnReread2/11/2022Fiction - Fantasy
19CytonicBrandon SandersonLibrarySequel2/13/2022Fiction - Young Adult
20Demon Lord of KarandaDavid EddingsOwnReread2/15/2022Fiction - Fantasy
DNFThere is a River: The Story of Edgar CayceThomas SugrueOwnOtherN/ANonfiction - Philosophy
21Jade CityFonda LeeLibraryTBR List2/18/2022Fiction - Fantasy
22Sorceress of DarshivaDavid EddingsOwnReread2/19/2022Fiction - Fantasy
23The Sorrows of Young WertherJohann Wolfgang von GoetheLibraryTBR List2/20/2022General Fiction
24The Seeress of KellDavid EddingsOwnReread2/20/2022Fiction - Fantasy
25Belgarath the SorcererDavid and Leigh EddingsOwnReread2/26/2022Fiction - Fantasy
26Traveling Mercies: Some Thoughts on FaithAnne LamottOwnOther3/2/2022Nonfiction - Philosophy
27Polgara the SorceressDavid and Leigh EddingsOwnReread3/3/2022Fiction - Fantasy
28Parent Effectiveness Training: The Proven Program for Raising Responsible ChildrenThomas GordonLibraryTBR List3/9/2022Nonfiction - Self-help
29Stories from the Thousand and One Nightstrans. Edward William LaneLibraryTBR List3/10/2022General Fiction
30Jade WarFonda LeeLibrarySequel3/14/2022Fiction - Fantasy

31The House of BorgiaChristopher HibbertOwnEducational3/16/2022Nonfiction - History/Biography
32Jade LegacyFonda LeeLibrarySequel3/19/2022Fiction - Fantasy
33The Suburban Micro-Farm: Modern Solutions for Busy PeopleAmy StrossLibraryTBR List3/23/2022Nonfiction - Home and Garden
34Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, SpyJohn Le CarreLibraryTBR List3/26/2022General Fiction
35Perhaps the StarsAda PalmerLibrarySequel3/27/2022Fiction - Science Fiction

Added favorites in bold.

Goals for the year!
Philosophy/Spirituality - 2/6
Educational Nonfiction (History, Science, etc) - 2/10
From TBR - 14/50

PlanetDee

• Stubble
« Reply #284 on: March 27, 2022, 08:13:51 AM »
8. A Carnival of Snackery by David Sedaris

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #285 on: March 27, 2022, 11:26:17 AM »
1Between Parent and Child: New Solutions to Old ProblemsHaim G GinottLibraryTBR List1/2/2022Nonfiction - Self-help
2The Drowned WorldJ.G. BallardLibraryTBR List1/3/2022Fiction - Science Fiction
3The Charmed SphereCatherine AsaroOwnReread1/7/2022Fiction - Fantasy
4Phantastes: A Faerie Romance for Men and WomenGeorge MacDonaldLibraryTBR List1/10/2022Fiction - Fantasy
5It's Never Too Late to Begin Again: Discovering Creativity and Meaning at Midlife and BeyondJulia CameronLibraryTBR List1/13/2022Nonfiction - Self-help
6The Day of the TriffidsJohn WyndhamLibraryTBR List1/15/2022Fiction - Science Fiction
7Liberated Parents, Liberated Children: Your Guide to a Happier FamilyAdele Faber, Elaine MazlishLibraryTBR List1/16/2022Nonfiction - Self-help
8Pawn of ProphecyDavid EddingsOwnReread1/21/2022Fiction - Fantasy
9Queen of SorceryDavid EddingsOwnReread1/23/2022Fiction - Fantasy
10Magician's GambitDavid EddingsOwnReread1/25/2022Fiction - Fantasy
11Castle of WizardryDavid EddingsOwnReread1/27/2022Fiction - Fantasy
12Enchanter's End GameDavid EddingsOwnReread1/29/2022Fiction - Fantasy
13Godel, Escher, Bach: an Eternal Golden BraidDouglass R HofstadterLibraryTBR List2/2/2022Nonfiction - Philosophy
14How to Talk so Kids will Listen & Listen so Kids will TalkAdele Faber, Elaine MazlishLibraryTBR List2/5/2022Nonfiction - Self-help
15The Rise and Fall of the House of MediciChristopher HibbertOwnOther2/6/2022Nonfiction - History/Biography
16Leviathan FallsJames S.A. CoreyLibrarySequel2/7/2022Fiction - Science Fiction
17Guardians of the WestDavid EddingsOwnReread2/9/2022Fiction - Fantasy
18King of the MurgosDavid EddingsOwnReread2/11/2022Fiction - Fantasy
19CytonicBrandon SandersonLibrarySequel2/13/2022Fiction - Young Adult
20Demon Lord of KarandaDavid EddingsOwnReread2/15/2022Fiction - Fantasy
DNFThere is a River: The Story of Edgar CayceThomas SugrueOwnOtherN/ANonfiction - Philosophy
21Jade CityFonda LeeLibraryTBR List2/18/2022Fiction - Fantasy
22Sorceress of DarshivaDavid EddingsOwnReread2/19/2022Fiction - Fantasy
23The Sorrows of Young WertherJohann Wolfgang von GoetheLibraryTBR List2/20/2022General Fiction
24The Seeress of KellDavid EddingsOwnReread2/20/2022Fiction - Fantasy
25Belgarath the SorcererDavid and Leigh EddingsOwnReread2/26/2022Fiction - Fantasy
26Traveling Mercies: Some Thoughts on FaithAnne LamottOwnOther3/2/2022Nonfiction - Philosophy
27Polgara the SorceressDavid and Leigh EddingsOwnReread3/3/2022Fiction - Fantasy
28Parent Effectiveness Training: The Proven Program for Raising Responsible ChildrenThomas GordonLibraryTBR List3/9/2022Nonfiction - Self-help
29Stories from the Thousand and One Nightstrans. Edward William LaneLibraryTBR List3/10/2022General Fiction
30Jade WarFonda LeeLibrarySequel3/14/2022Fiction - Fantasy

31The House of BorgiaChristopher HibbertOwnEducational3/16/2022Nonfiction - History/Biography
32Jade LegacyFonda LeeLibrarySequel3/19/2022Fiction - Fantasy
33The Suburban Micro-Farm: Modern Solutions for Busy PeopleAmy StrossLibraryTBR List3/23/2022Nonfiction - Home and Garden
34Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, SpyJohn Le CarreLibraryTBR List3/26/2022General Fiction
35Perhaps the StarsAda PalmerLibrarySequel3/27/2022Fiction - Science Fiction

Added favorites in bold.

Goals for the year!
Philosophy/Spirituality - 2/6
Educational Nonfiction (History, Science, etc) - 2/10
From TBR - 14/50

I love seeing someone else get into the Jade City series. This is definitely going to be on my best books of the year short-list, possibly #1. It was just so, so good.

ahptex

• Stubble
« Reply #286 on: March 27, 2022, 03:12:12 PM »
(1) Revenge in a Cold River by Anne Perry
(2) An Echo of Murder by Anne Perry
(3) Dark Tide Rising by Anne Perry
(4) Something to Hide by Elizabeth George
(5) Replay by Ken Grimwood
(6) Write Away by Elizabeth George
(7) The Other End of the Leash by Patricia McConnell
(8) How Civil Wars Start by Barbara F. Walter

(9) The Night Tiger by Yangtze Choo
(10) Exit by Belinda Bauer
(11) Move by Parag Khanna
(12) Twilight of Democracy by Anne Applebaum
(13) State of Terror by Hillary Rodham Clinton and Louise Penny

Wolfpack Mustachian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #287 on: March 27, 2022, 03:44:13 PM »
Figured I should finally post my list rather than just commenting on others :-). Favorites are starred.

1. The Inheritance Games - Jennifer Barnes
2. Rob Bell - Love Wins
3. Emperor Mollusk vs. Sinister Brain - A. Lee Martinez ***
4. The Outcast - Taran Matharu
5. What we talk about when we talk about God - Rob Bell
6. War Cross - Marie Lu
7. The Original - Brandon Sanderson
8. Skyhunter - Marie Lu
9. For One More Day - Mitch Albom
10. Leviathan Falls - James S.A. Corey ***
11. Cytonic - Brandon Sanderson ***
12. Wildcard - Marie Lu
13. My sister. The Serial Killer - Oyinkan Braithwaite
14. Off to be the Wizard - Scott Meyer
15. What is the Bible - Rob Bell
16. The Rising of the Shield Hero - Aneko Yusagi
17. Batman - Marie Lu
18. Warbreaker - Brandon Sanderson ***
19. Binti - Nnedi Okorafor
20. The Silent Patient - Alex Michaelides ***
21. An Unwelcome Quest - Scott Meyer
22. Velvet Elvis - Rob Bell
23. You'll Never Believe What Happened to Lucy - Amber Ruffin & Lacey Lamar ***
24. Spell or High Water - Scott Meyer
25. Sex God - Rob Bell
26. Graceling - Kristin Cashore
27. A Deadly Education - Naomi Novik ***
28. Everything is Spiritual - Rob Bell
29. The Last Graduate - Naomi Novik ***

Can't wait for the third Novik book. Thanks to Zikoris, Swordguy, and others for the great recommendations.

« Last Edit: March 27, 2022, 03:48:05 PM by Wolfpack Mustachian »

YellowCat

• Bristles
« Reply #288 on: March 28, 2022, 07:34:32 AM »
    • Malice, Heather Walter
    • Matrix, Lauren Groff
    • The Game, Laurie R. King

YellowCat

• Bristles
« Reply #289 on: March 29, 2022, 09:56:24 AM »
    • Malice, Heather Walter
    • Matrix, Lauren Groff
    • The Game, Laurie R. King
    • House of Dreams: The Life of L. M. Montgomery, Liz Rosenberg

FrugalShrew

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #290 on: March 29, 2022, 11:17:17 AM »
Jumping in...I have been reading tons, and even tracking just for myself, so it should be easy enough to gather the info on what I have read this year so far. But I'll start with the book I most recently finished:

(1) Gone-Away Lake by Elizabeth Enright. Two cousins find a mysterious swamp with abandoned houses, only a couple of them seem to be inhabited after all. It turns into a grand adventure that includes intergenerational friendships, a secret club, rescuing kittens, and the values of thrift and making do.

I have been re-reading, or in some cases reading for the first time, a lot of children's books and YA books lately. This one was a recommendation from one of my wonderful librarians--he said that it is a favorite among librarians, and I can see why. It was a wonderful read even as an adult. I only wish I had read it as a kid!
« Last Edit: March 29, 2022, 11:23:34 AM by FrugalShrew »

FrugalShrew

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #291 on: March 29, 2022, 11:29:14 AM »

@YellowCat, how did you like House of Dreams? L.M. Montgomery's books are so great, it seems like a biography about her life would be fascinating.

YellowCat

• Bristles
« Reply #292 on: March 29, 2022, 02:06:17 PM »

@YellowCat, how did you like House of Dreams? L.M. Montgomery's books are so great, it seems like a biography about her life would be fascinating.

I really did enjoy it! I was surprised to learn how challenging her life was (mother died young, mental illness, childhood poverty, unhappy in love) since her Anne books are so sunny and cheerful. It’s beautifully illustrated as well. Overall I’d recommend it. It’s actually a biography written for younger readers (middle/high school age) and was therefore more manageable than a full huge adult biography. I tend to have trouble getting through those :) I don’t think I’d realized how prolific she really was as a writer either. Her output was astounding especially considering how busy she was with her domestic life.

FrugalShrew

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #293 on: March 29, 2022, 02:36:10 PM »

I really did enjoy it! I was surprised to learn how challenging her life was (mother died young, mental illness, childhood poverty, unhappy in love) since her Anne books are so sunny and cheerful. It’s beautifully illustrated as well. Overall I’d recommend it. It’s actually a biography written for younger readers (middle/high school age) and was therefore more manageable than a full huge adult biography. I tend to have trouble getting through those :) I don’t think I’d realized how prolific she really was as a writer either. Her output was astounding especially considering how busy she was with her domestic life.

Oh wow, that is interesting that she faced so many challenges. I loved the Anne series when I was a kid, and I actually have some of her other books in my (massive) To-Read pile right now...The fact that it's written for younger readers sounds perfect. I am reading a lot of younger reader books already :)

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #294 on: March 29, 2022, 06:58:47 PM »

1) The Shepherd’s Life: Modern Dispatches from an Ancient Landscape by James Rebanks   
2) Kiss of the Fur Queen (fiction) by Tomson Highway
3) See No Stranger: A Memoir and Manifesto of Revolutionary Love by Valerie Kaur, *bookclub 
4) Because Internet: Understanding the New Rules of Language by Gretchen McCulloch
5) No Recipe: Cooking as Spiritual Practice by Edward Espe Brown
6) Winter Pasture: One Woman's Journey w/ China's Kazakh Herders by Li Juan
7) Wild Signs and Star Paths: Natural Navigation by Tristan Gooley
8) Caste: The Origins of Our Discontents by Isabel Wilkerson
9) The Almanack of Naval Ravikant: A Guide to Wealth and Happiness by Eric Jorgenson (audiobook)
10) Salt Fat Acid Heat: Mastering the Elements of Good Cooking by Samin Nosrat
11) Still Life by Anoushka Khan (graphic novel)
12) What Artists Wear by Charlie Porter
13) The Science of Enlightenment: How Meditation Works by Shinzen Young **twice
14) The Way Out: A Revolutionary, Scientifically Proven Approach to Healing Chronic Pain by Alan Gordon and Alon Ziv (audiobook).
15) Poor Richard's Retirement: Retirement for Everyday Americans by Aaron Clarey
16) Predictably Irrational: The Hidden Forces That Shape Our Decisions by Dan Ariely
17) Talking To Strangers: What We Should Know About the People We Don't Know by Malcolm Gladwell (audiobook)
18) On Becoming An Alchemist: A Guide to the Modern Magician by Catherin MacCoun
19) The Gift of Our Compulsions by Mary O'Malley
20) The Reading List by Sara Nisha Adams (fiction, *bookclub)
21) Neurodharma: New Science, Ancient Wisdom, and Seven Practices of the Highest Happiness by Hanson, Rick

recently finished/reading
22) The Seed Keeper by Diane Wilson (fiction, *bookclub) Quite a beautiful multi-generational story about a Dakota family, trying to make their way in a changing world

23) Eat A Peach: A Memoir by David Chang ( audiobook), the chef who started Momofuku writes about growing up Korean-American, finding out he has bi-polar disorder and the ups & downs of kitchen life. Not my usual fare but am enjoying listening to his story.

Dr Kidstache

• Bristles
« Reply #295 on: March 31, 2022, 08:10:49 PM »

22. Murder's a Swine by Nap Lombard. Madcap mystery (audiobook)

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #296 on: March 31, 2022, 09:46:18 PM »
Next ten, favourites marked - and that makes my first hundred!

91. November 9 by Colleen Hoover
92. Shatter City by Scott Westerfeld
93. Mirror's Edge by Scott Westerfeld

94. Beyond the Eyes of Mars by Glynn Stewart
The latest Starship's Mage book, this one featuring a brain in a jar getting revenge, and man do I love this sci-fi/fantasy mashup series.

95. Morality for Beautiful Girls by Alexander McCall Smith
96. Honor Among Thieves by Rachel Bach

97. Super Mario Adventures by Kentaro Takekuma
I don't normally read graphic novels, but this was so cheery and lighthearted that it really helped me through the loss of my beloved cat to kidney disease last week. I played a ton of Mario games as a kid, so it was fun going back to that world.

98. Heartwood Box by Ann Aguirre
99. The War of Two Queens by Jennifer Armentrout
100. Outlawed by Anna North

dblaace

• Bristles
« Reply #297 on: April 01, 2022, 07:33:35 AM »
1. Breath - James Nester
2. What I Talk About When I Talk About Running (Audio) - Haruki Murakami
3. The Cipher - Isabella Maldonado
4. Hell of a Book - Jason Mott
5. The Bookseller's Secret - Michelle Gable
6. You Are Here: Discovering the Magic of the Present Moment - Thich Nhat Hanh
7. The Litigators - John Grisham
8. Wherever You Go, There You Are - Jon Kabat-Zinn
9. Overwatch - Marc Guggenheim
10. Odd Hours - Dean Koontz
11. Flight of Eagles - Jack Higgins
12. The Dark Hours - Michael Connelly
13. Why Buddhism is True - Robert Wright

FrugalShrew

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #298 on: April 01, 2022, 09:42:20 AM »
Next ten, favourites marked - and that makes my first hundred!

97. Super Mario Adventures by Kentaro Takekuma
I don't normally read graphic novels, but this was so cheery and lighthearted that it really helped me through the loss of my beloved cat to kidney disease last week. I played a ton of Mario games as a kid, so it was fun going back to that world.

Congrats on your first hundred, and sorry about your kitty :( Glad you had some good comfort reading.

redhead84

• Stubble
« Reply #299 on: April 01, 2022, 11:50:36 AM »
13. Empire of Pain: The Secret History of the Sackler Dynasty by Patrick Radden Keefe
14. The Love Hypothesis by Ali Hazelwood
15. We Should All be Feminists by Ngozi Adichie
16. Shit, Actually: The Definitive, 100% Objective Guide to Modern Cinema by Lindy West
17. Meet Me in the Margins by Melissa Ferguson
18. The Bright Side Running Club by Josie Lloyd
19. Rules of Civility by Amor Towles
20. Black Cake by Charmaine Wilkerson