Author Topic: 50 Books in 2021!  (Read 66645 times)

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
Re: 50 Books in 2021!
« Reply #250 on: April 07, 2021, 09:39:25 AM »
21) Shuggie Bains, Douglas Stuart (fiction, audiobook)
22) Disfigured: On Fairy Tales, Disability and Making Space, Amanda Leduc
23) The Mothers: Brit Bennett *bookclub
24) Just Eat It: How intuitive eating can help you get your shit together around food: Laura Thomas
25) Red Notice: A True Story of High Finance, Murder and One Man's Fight for Justice, Bill Browder *bookclub

working on/recently finished
26) The Minimalist and Decluttering Lifestyle (audiobook), Samuel Newell---not much new in this but it was free on the library rental site so thought I'd give it a whirl

27) Hope in the Dark: Untold Histories, Wild Possibilities, Rebecca Solnit--enjoying this, a perspective shift. She addresses social justice/political issues in a way that highlights how much good has been accomplished rather than looking at what a mess we are in

28) Me, Chi and Bruce Lee: Adventures in Martial Arts, Brian Preston--some funny bits, I'm not a total fan of the writing style or dude-ish humour but an interesting concept and easy read

29) World of Wonders: In Praise of Fireflies, Whale Sharks, and Other Astonishments, Aimee Nezhukumatathil --small nature essays but combined with personal narratives and reflections on racism and otherness, loving it

change_seeker

• Bristles
« Reply #251 on: April 08, 2021, 12:06:34 PM »

Finished:

1.  Farmer Boy, by Laura Ingalls Wilder.  Listened to the audiobook with the kids on our Christmas trip to my parents.  Hearing the chores for those kids makes me think I should expect more from mine around the house!
2.  Jubal Sackett, by Louis L'Amour.  Nice change of pace from his normal formula.  The conjuring of fire to pull one over on his wife seemed...cheap.
3.  Last of the Breed, by Louis L'Amour.  Enjoyed, probably the fourth or fifth time I've read.
4.  The Eagle of the Ninth, by Rosemary Sutcliffe.  Took me a bit to get used to all the Roman terminology.  I think I'll have to watch the movie now to bemoan how it doesn't follow the book.
5.  The Silver Branch, by Rosemary Sutcliffe.  Probably my favorite of the trilogy.
6.  The Lantern Bearers, by Rosemary Sutcliffe.
7.  Comstock Lode, by Louis L'Amour.  Good epic tale to be bedridden with while awaiting COVID results.
8.  The Haunted Mesa, by Louis L'Amour.  Western Tough Guy + Sci Fi (parallel world that explains Anasazi disappearance)
9.  Atomic Habits, by James Clear.  Now to try some of his suggestions!
10. Galloway, by Louis L'Amour.
11. The Bible New Testament, The Message translation, by various authors.
12. The Lonesome Gods, by Louis L'Amour.
13. Hondo, by Louis L'Amour.

Need2Save

• Bristles
« Reply #252 on: April 10, 2021, 08:27:29 AM »
Recently Finished
9. Carnegie's Maid, Marie Benedict
10. The Giver of Stars, Jojo Moyes (Book Club)
11. The Girl from the Channel Islands, Jenny Lecoat

Currently on:
12. The Overstory, Richard Powers

ooohh - I hope The Overstory is good. I enjoyed Orfeo a couple of years ago and my husband just finished The Time of Our Singing and absolutely loved it.
It was good. I had never read Richard Powers before, so I didn't know what to expect. I thought at first it was a series of short stories, but in the end they all end up related to one-another in unexpected ways. So I enjoyed that part and did learn far more than I ever thought I would about trees, forests, and forestry management (or mismanagement). It was thought provoking. Also a long read.

Recently Finished
13. The Book of Lost Friends, Lisa Wingate (Bookclub)

Currently on:
14. Before We Were Yours, Lisa Wingate (I enjoyed the other book so much, I decided to read this one too.
15. Notorious RBG, Irin Carmon, Shana Knizhnik (Bookclub)

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #253 on: April 11, 2021, 12:58:26 AM »
Next 20, favourites marked - I decided to throw in some non-fiction for a change.

121. Bone Crossed - Patricia Briggs
122. Silver Borne - Patricia Briggs
123. Alpha & Omega - Patricia Briggs
124. River Marked - Patricia Briggs
125. Cry Wolf - Patricia Briggs
126. Hunting Ground - Patricia Briggs
127. Frost Burned - Patricia Briggs
I'm continuing to work my way through the amazing Mercy Thompson series, and loving it.

128. Death Wind - Tara Grayce
129. Troll Queen - Tara Grayce
130. Rule of Wolves - Leigh Bardugo
131. Loserthink - Scott Adams
132. Not Another Vampire Story - Cassandra Gannon
133. How to Lie with Statistics - Darrell Huff

134. Lives of the Stoics - Ryan Holiday
A great introduction to stoic history and philosophy. I'm looking to get a lot more into this area, as the concepts really resonate with me.

135. Chosen - K.F. Breene
136. Hunted - K.F. Breene
137. Bad Science - Ben Goldacre

138. Buyology - Martin Lindstrom
A fascinating and terrifying look into the world of neuro-marketing. I learned so much about the subtle things companies do that don't even register as marketing, yet are highly effective.

139. The Upside of Irrationality - Dan Ariely

140. The Grey Bastards - Jonathan French
A hilariously crude epic fantasy about half-orc warriors who ride giant boars instead of horses. I thought at 34 I was all done learning new swear words, but nope.

lazycow

• Bristles
« Reply #254 on: April 11, 2021, 10:02:35 PM »
*Books owned

JAN
1.   *Dark Matter – Blake Crouch (reread)
2.    *Picnic in Provence - Elizabeth Bard (NF). Her pretentious pronouncements on food and France annoyed me so much. Sent to the op shop!
3.    Mr Wilder & Me - Jonathan Coe. Atmospheric, nostalgic, poignant. I love everything Coe writes, and this makes me want to rewatch all of Billy Wilder's films.
4.   Nothing to See Here - Kevin Wilson. Brilliantly mad premise: narrator is 'governess' to twins who catch fire when angry or upset. Even better than The Family Fang, I think.
5.   The Water-saving Garden - Pam Penick (NF) Lots of good ideas.
6.   Property - Lionel Shriver. Short stories. Typical Shriver snark, which I enjoy. Some stories are better than others, but a worthwhile read overall.
7.   Small Pleasures – Clare Chambers. So very ordinary, which was disappointing, as I had heard such good things about it.
8.   The Sustainabl(ish) living guide – Jen Gale (NF). Loved this. Have been reading her blog for years. I enjoyed it so much that I emailed her to tell her so, and she responded immediately. Lovely woman!

FEBRUARY
9.   This has been absolutely lovely – Jessica Dettman. Really enjoyed her first novel but this one was so boring and unfunny.
10.   Big Summer – Jennifer Weiner. Her books are hit or miss for me, and this was, sadly, a miss. I really did not enjoy reading about Instagram influences.
11.   The Shapeless Unease: A year of Not Sleeping – Samantha Harvey (NF). Glorious writing. I absolutely loved this.
12.   I’m just a teenage punch-bag – Jackie Clune. Read in an afternoon. Predictable mum-lit, but quit affecting in parts.
13.   *Bookworm – Lucy Mangan (NF) (Reread) Even better reading it the second time. My favourite book about reading.

MARCH
14.   Summerwater – Sarah Moss. Mesmerising. She really lets you into her character’s heads.
15.   *The Madwoman Upstairs – Chatherine Lowell (reread). Infuriating protagonist (the last Bronte descendant), but I find the story so affecting.
16.   My not-so-perfect life – Sophie Kinsella. Silly but endearing. I laughed out loud quite a few times.
17.   The Night Hawks (Ruth Galloway series) – Elly Griffiths. I love this series. Like slipping on a pair of comfy slippers.
18.   *Man at the helm (Lizzie Vogel #1) – Nina Stibbe (reread). Funny and poignant. One of my favourite contemporary authors.
19.   Simplifiy! How to stay sane in a world gone mad – Bob Hillary (NF). Cute little motivational book by Sir Edmund Hillary’s grandson. Didn’t really tell me anything I didn’t know.
20.   Sleep – C.J. Taylor. Started promisingly but became too convoluted by the end. Fairly solid psych thriller.
21.   The Last Romantics – Tara Conklin. Effortlessly lovely writing and a storyline that pulled me in immediately. Dreamy and nostalgic.
22.   *How to be both – Ali Smith. Wonderfully inventive.
23.   The Jetsetters – Amanda Eyre Ward. I have enjoyed every one of her other novels, but this was so boring and conventional.
24.   The Funny thing about Norman Foreman – Juliette Henderson. Recommended by a fellow reader. Gorgeously poignant.
25.   Hungry – Grace Dent (NF). My favourite Guardian UK columnist. Her memoir on food and family was wonderful and heart-breaking.

APRIL
26.   *An Unknown Woman – Alice Koller (NF). Infuriating in parts. She is narcissistic and completely un-selfaware at the beginning, but ultimately becomes a satisfying read of a woman’s self-discovery in the early 1960’s.
27.   Magpie Lane – Lucy Atkins (reread). One of my favourite books from last year. Bears rereading.
28.   Garnethill (Garnethill trilogy #1) – Denise Mina. Have never read any of her crime thrillers before but I will be reading all of them now. Excellent.
29.   *Slow Horses (Slow Horses #1) – Mick Herron. Dry and witty spy thriller. Needs concentration though, this was my 3rd attempt reading it and I am glad I persisted.

Splashncash

• Bristles
« Reply #255 on: April 12, 2021, 02:11:03 AM »
18. A Rule Against Murder by Louise Penny
19. The Brutal Telling by Louise Penny
20. A Walk Across France by Miles Morland
21. Bury Your Dead by Louise Penny
22. Winter Solstice by Rosamunde Pilcher
23. A Trick of the Light by Louise Penny

24. Love Walked In by Marisa de los Santos
25. The Beautiful Mystery by Louise Penny
26. How the Light Gets In by Louise Penny
27. The Long Way Home by Louise Penny

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #256 on: April 12, 2021, 09:43:04 AM »
The new wildernis by Diane Cook.

Raenia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #257 on: April 13, 2021, 05:06:27 PM »
1Gardening When it Counts: Growing Food in Hard TimesSteve SolomonLibraryTBR List01/05/2021Nonfiction - Home and Garden
2Media Gothic: A Stroll Through State Street's Dark HistoryLaurie Hull, Matt LakeOwnOther1/8/2021Nonfiction - History/Biography
3PrettiesScott WesterfieldLibrarySequel1/16/2021Fiction - Young Adult
4SpecialsScott WesterfieldLibrarySequel1/17/2021Fiction - Young Adult
5ExtrasScott WesterfieldLibrarySequel1/18/2021Fiction - Young Adult
6Living the Good Life: How to Live Sanely and Simply in a Troubled WorldHelen Nearing, Scott NearingLibraryTBR List1/21/2021Nonfiction - Self-help
7StrongholdMelanie RawnOwnReread1/27/2021Fiction - Fantasy
8RebeccaDaphne du MaurierLibraryTBR List1/29/2021General Fiction
9The Black CompanyGlen CookLibraryTBR List2/1/2021Fiction - Fantasy
10Shadows LingerGlen CookLibrarySequel2/3/2021Fiction - Fantasy
11From Our Home to Yours: Comfort Food to Give and ShareJoyce GoldsteinOwnOther2/5/2021Nonfiction - Home and Garden
12The White RoseGlen CookLibrarySequel2/6/2021Fiction - Fantasy
13Spiralized: Quick and HealthyPublications International, Ltd.OwnOther2/7/2021Nonfiction - Home and Garden
14The Dragon TokenMelanie RawnOwnReread2/11/2021Fiction - Fantasy
15SkybowlMelanie RawnOwnReread2/15/2021Fiction - Fantasy
16The Lark and the WrenMercedes LackeyOwnReread2/16/2021Fiction - Fantasy
17The Robin and the KestrelMercedes LackeyOwnReread2/20/2021Fiction - Fantasy
18The Eagle and the NightingalesMercedes LackeyOwnSequel2/20/2021Fiction - Fantasy
19Spiritual Ecology: 10 Practices to Reawaken the Sacred in Everyday LifeLlewellyn Vaughan-Lee, Hilary HartOwnTBR List2/21/0202Nonfiction - Philosophy
20Forest of a Thousand LanternsJulie C. DaoLibraryTBR List2/22/2021Fiction - Young Adult
21A Cast of CorbiesMercedes Lackey, Josepha ShermanOwnReread2/24/2021Fiction - Fantasy
22Atomic HabitsJames ClearLibraryTBR List3/1/2021Nonfiction - Self-help
23SabrielGarth NixOwnReread3/2/2021Fiction - Fantasy
24LiraelGarth NixOwnReread3/5/2021Fiction - Fantasy
25Designing Your Life: How to Build a Well-Lived, Joyful LifeBill Burnett, Dave EvansLibraryTBR List3/7/2021Nonfiction - Self-help
26AbhorsenGarth NixOwnReread3/9/2021Fiction - Fantasy
27Practical Sigil Magic: Creating Personal Symbols for SuccessFrater U.D.OwnTBR List3/9/2021Nonfiction - Philosophy
28ClarielGarth NixLibrarySequel3/10/2021Fiction - Fantasy
29When Helping Hurts: How to Alleviate Poverty without Hurting the Poor... and YourselfSteve Corbett, Brian FikkertOwnTBR List3/14/2021General Nonfiction
30GoldenhandGarth NixLibrarySequel3/15/2021Fiction - Fantasy

31Four & Twenty BlackbirdsMercedes LackeyLibrarySequel3/26/2021Fiction - Fantasy
32Digital Minimalism: Choosing a Focused Life in a Noisy WorldCal NewportLibraryTBR List3/29/2021Nonfiction - Self-help
33Craft: An American HistoryGlenn AdamsonOwnOther4/1/2021Nonfiction - History/Biography
34The Hero with a Thousand FacesJoseph CampbellLibraryTBR List4/11/2021Nonfiction - Philosophy
35The Kingmaker's DaughterPhilippa GregoryLibraryTBR List4/13/2021Fiction - Historical

Nonfiction: 13/25
TBR List: 13/25
Philosophy/Spirituality: 3/5
« Last Edit: April 17, 2021, 11:08:07 AM by Raenia »

redhead84

• Stubble
« Reply #258 on: April 15, 2021, 08:21:48 AM »
April:

23) The Rose Code by Kate Quinn (kindle) - ★★★★
24) Think Again: The Power of Knowing What You Don't Know by Adam Grant (audio) - ★★★★
25) The Vanishing Half by Brit Bennett (kindle) - ★★★★★

StarBright

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #259 on: April 15, 2021, 08:53:53 AM »
1. On Writing by Stephen King
2. Red at the Bone by Jaqueline Woodson (I will need to reread the end of this one again. I was getting sleepy as I finished and I think I need to soak in more of the beautiful writing.)
3. Mexican Gothic by Silvia Moreno-Garcia
4. House of Trelawney by Hannah Rothschild
5. Race and Reunion by David W. Blight (a book about how the US handled Reconstruction and how that narrative still effects things today. A bit dense but very glad I read it)
7. Differently Wired: Raising an Exceptional Child in a Conventional World by Deborah Reber
8. The City We Became by M.K. Jemison
9. Can't Even: How Millenials Became the Burnout Generation by Anne Hellen Petersen (Good but depressing?)
10. First Frost by Sarah Addison Allen
11. From Burnout to Breakthrough by Eileen McDargh
12. You'll Never Believe What Happened to Lacey by Amber Ruffin and Lacey Lamar (delightful! Amber Ruffin is one of my favorite comedians and her ability to approach a serious topic with humor was a balm I did not know I needed until I read it).
13. The Guest List by Lucy Foley
14. A Gentlemen in Moscow by Amor Towles
15. Behind the Attic Wall by Sylvia Cassedy
16. The Witches of New York by Ami McKay  . . .
17. How to Manage Your Home Without Losing Your Mind by Dana K White
18. Parable of the Talents by Octavia Butler
19. Piranesi by Susanna Clarke
20. UnSelfie: Why Empathetic Kids Succeed in Our All-About-Me World by Michelle Borba
21. Ballet in the Cold War: a Soviet - American Exchange by Anne Searcy
22. Bringing Down the Duke by Evie Dunmore 

Gave Up On:
Speciman Days by Walt Whitman

23. Debt: The First 5000 Years by David Graeber   Good, deep. This and Doughnut Economics are really shaping the way I'm looking at the world lately.
24. A Rogue of One's Own by Evie Dunmore - also delightful. I need to read more well written fluff. I like it!
25. Shadows in Death by J.D. Robb
26. Faithless in Death by J.D. Robb  guys! I've been reading these books since I was a wee child. Probably in middle school. The series is still going and I'm several years older than the heroine now. Sunk cost and all that.*

*ETA - the only time I've ever emailed an author: about a decade ago Robb started to use "Anal" as a shortened version of analysis and a character would say things like "Anal - stat" and I couldn't deal so I emailed and said "please never do that again because it is hysterically distracting." And the author never did it again. Be the change you want to see in this world :)

27. The Rose Code by Kate Quinn Loved it. Long but a page turner.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2021, 09:08:46 AM by StarBright »

redhead84

• Stubble
« Reply #260 on: April 15, 2021, 10:12:05 AM »
2. Red at the Bone by Jaqueline Woodson (I will need to reread the end of this one again. I was getting sleepy as I finished and I think I need to soak in more of the beautiful writing.)
5. Race and Reunion by David W. Blight (a book about how the US handled Reconstruction and how that narrative still effects things today. A bit dense but very glad I read it)
7. Differently Wired: Raising an Exceptional Child in a Conventional World by Deborah Reber
9. Can't Even: How Millenials Became the Burnout Generation by Anne Hellen Petersen (Good but depressing?)
12. You'll Never Believe What Happened to Lacey by Amber Ruffin and Lacey Lamar (delightful! Amber Ruffin is one of my favorite comedians and her ability to approach a serious topic with humor was a balm I did not know I needed until I read it).
20. UnSelfie: Why Empathetic Kids Succeed in Our All-About-Me World by Michelle Borba

Gave Up On:

23. Debt: The First 5000 Years by David Graeber   Good, deep. This and Doughnut Economics are really shaping the way I'm looking at the world lately.
24. A Rogue of One's Own by Evie Dunmore - also delightful. I need to read more well written fluff. I like it!
26. Faithless in Death by J.D. Robb  guys! I've been reading these books since I was a wee child. Probably in middle school. The series is still going and I'm several years older than the heroine now. Sunk cost and all that.*

*ETA - the only time I've ever emailed an author: about a decade ago Robb started to use "Anal" as a shortened version of analysis and a character would say things like "Anal - stat" and I couldn't deal so I emailed and said "please never do that again because it is hysterically distracting." And the author never did it again. Be the change you want to see in this world :)

27. The Rose Code by Kate Quinn Loved it. Long but a page turner.

Agree with you comment on The Rose Code. I felt like I was reading forever, and it look at my progress on Kindle and I'm only 15% through. It was an enjoyable story though. I am pretty critical of WWII historical fiction, and this one was a refreshing change from the normal.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #261 on: April 16, 2021, 10:01:11 AM »
The Nature Fix by Florence Williams. Highly recommended! Everyone should read it.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #262 on: April 18, 2021, 03:12:57 PM »
1. East of Eden, by John Steinbeck (Jan 2).
2. A Promised Land, by Barack Obama (Jan 5) (audio).
3. King Leopold's Ghost, by Adam Hochschild (Jan 17).
4. Every Heart a Doorway, by Seanan McGuire (Jan 18).
5. Plain Bad Heroines, by Emily M. Danforth (Jan 21) (audio).
6. Trick Mirror: Reflections on Self-Delusion, by Jia Tolentino (Jan 29).
7. The Guest List, by Lucy Foley (Jan 29) (audio).
8. A Wrinkle in Time, by Madeleine L'Engle (Feb 2).
9. The Tyranny of Merit: What’s Become of the Common Good?, by Michael J. Sandel (Feb 10) (audio).
10. The Forgotten Garden, by Kate Morton (Feb 27).
11. Sister Outsider: Essays and Speeches, by Audre Lord (Mar 4) (audio).
12. Ravenna: Capital of Empire, Crucible of Europe, by Judith Herrin (Mar 6).
13. Regeneration, by Pat Barker (Mar 9).
14. Red at the Bone, by Jacqueline Woodson (Mar 14) (audio).
15. River of Teeth, by Sarah Gailey (Mar 7) (audio).
16. The Ministry for the Future, by Kim Stanley Robinson (Mar 27).
17. Shopgirl, by Steve Martin (Mar 27).

18. The Immortality Key: The Secret History of the Religion with No Name, by Brian C. Muraresku (Apr 18).  Super fascinating topics.  I've long had an interest in the Eleusinian Mysteries and (separately) psychedelics.  And the history of early Christianity as researched through several different secret Vatican archives?  Cool!  But this was poorly written; redundant and bloated.  A good editor could, I suspect, get it into shape for a nice article in the Atlantic and it woulda been perfect.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2021, 11:14:06 AM by sui generis »

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #263 on: April 20, 2021, 09:23:51 AM »
Dykket (The Dive) by Frits du Bourg.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2021, 11:50:24 AM by Linea_Norway »

ahptex

• Stubble
« Reply #264 on: April 21, 2021, 11:18:26 AM »
(1) Parable of the Sower by Octavia Butler
(2) The Artist's Way by Julia Cameron
(3) Sex and Vanity by Kevin Kwan
(4) We are Called to Rise by Laura McBride
(5) Gathering Moss by Robin Wall Kimmerer
(6) Big Magic by Elizabeth Gilbert
(7) Parable of the Talents by Octavia Butler
(8) Killers of the Flower Moon by David Grann (re-read for book club)
(9) Olive Kitteridge by Elizabeth Strout
(10) The Thursday Murder Club by Richard Osman
(11) New York 2140 by Kim Stanley Robinson
(12) Dumbing Us Down by John Taylor Gatto

(13) The Self-Driven Child by William Stixrud and Ned Johnson
(14) How to Avoid a Climate Disaster by Bill Gates

nessness

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #265 on: April 21, 2021, 06:19:03 PM »
11. How to Manage Your Home Without Losing Your Mind by Dana K. White. The feminist in me was annoyed that she seems to perceive cleaning as primarily women's responsibility, but otherwise it was a good book.

12. Native Son by Richard Wright. This was my favorite book I read in AP English so I decided to reread it. Still an excellent book.

13. Intuitive Eating by Evelyn Tribole and Elyse Reach. Really good - it was a library book but I feel like I need to buy it and reread it every few months.

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #266 on: April 21, 2021, 08:51:23 PM »
18. A Rule Against Murder by Louise Penny
19. The Brutal Telling by Louise Penny
20. A Walk Across France by Miles Morland
21. Bury Your Dead by Louise Penny

I absolutely love the Inspector Gamache series. Her writing is gorgeous, layered, and descriptive without being tedious. The only time I've ever teared up whilst reading  Acknowledgements was at the end of one of the books. I highly recommend the whole series, and wish I had a Gamache in my real life.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2021, 08:54:51 PM by okisok »

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #267 on: April 21, 2021, 09:03:50 PM »
35. Blue Moon Rising (Forest Kingdom Book #1)-read about it here, fantasy about a second royal son who goes on a quest with unintended consequences.
36. The Spender's Guide to Debt-Free Living- read about it here, realized I'd already read it, but then read it again just because it's so good. I no longer have debt, but it's a good reminder of how far I've come since I originally read it right at the beginning of my Mustachian journey.
37. Inheriting Edith-pretty sure I read about it here, maid inherits a beach house and the deceased's mother as well.
38. Escapade-Jane Austen-esque comedy of manners with surprising twists.
39. Blood & Honor (Forest Kingdom Book #2) Lots more gore and violence than the first book, but incredibly satisfying ending.

Quit reading--A Court of Silver Flames. There are too many good books out there to slog through this one.

40. The Bookshop of Yesterdays--mystery, family, interesting dynamics with good twists
41. The Way of the House Husband Volume I--my first successful foray into manga, about a gangster who gives it up to be a house husband
42. The Mistresses of Cliveden--biography of an English stately home and the women who have presided over it
43. The Devil in the White City--history of the Chicago World's Fair and the serial killer who operated in Chicago at the same time
44. Behind the Attic Wall-read about it here and did not enjoy it. YA, mostly sad and weird but with a sort of happy ending
45. A Vintage Affair-woman opens up a vintage clothing shop and meets interesting people
46. The Painted Veil--perfect blend of 1920's and modernism. Bright young thing marries to avoid being an old maid, is generally awful, then grows up
47. The Postscript Murders--A cosy mystery by Ellie Griffiths. I love her Ruth Galloway series, but this one whetted my appetite until I can get the next Ruth book at the library.
48. All Things Bright and Beautiful--James Herriot's account of being an English country vet in the 1930s

So close! Slogging through The Odyssey and rereading Rebecca for the umpteenth time to round it out. If I don't quit on The Odyssey. Sorry, Homer.

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #268 on: April 22, 2021, 09:38:59 AM »
27) Hope in the Dark: Untold Histories, Wild Possibilities, Rebecca Solnit
28) Me, Chi and Bruce Lee: Adventures in Martial Arts, Brian Preston
29) World of Wonders: In Praise of Fireflies, Whale Sharks, and Other Astonishments, Aimee Nezhukumatathil

recently finished/working on

30) Possum Living: How to Live Well Without a Job and (Almost) No Money, Dolly Freed ---a bit of a frugal classic. Goes well beyond what I am will/likely to ever do in my life to save money and avoid working but it's good to be reminded of how creatively some people will pursue their independence

31) Anam Cara: A Book of Celtic Wisdom, John O'Donodue--heard an interview on On Being years ago with this Irish poet and promptly bought his book. I never got into it since it's rather spiritual/poetic but am enjoying reading bits in the morning & evening as an antidote to all the negative news that is around. It's reminding me of how much reading I did in my 20's about soul and shadow work.

32) A Childrens Bible, Lydia Millet (fiction)--just at the start of this but is an engaging read, I have the feeling it could turn dark rather quickly

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #269 on: April 22, 2021, 05:30:36 PM »
9. The Tyranny of Merit: What’s Become of the Common Good?, by Michael J. Sandel (Feb 10) (audio).
13. River of Teeth, by Sarah Gailey (Mar 7) (audio).
14. Regeneration, by Pat Barker (Mar 9).
15. Red at the Bone, by Jacqueline Woodson (Mar 14) (audio). 
18. The Immortality Key: The Secret History of the Religion with No Name, by Brian C. Muraresku (Apr 18). 

19. Sharks in the Time of Saviors, by Kawai Strong Washburn (Apr 22).  Enjoyed this novel, will be interested in this author's future work.

20. Caste: The Origins of Our Discontents, by Isabel Wilkerson (Apr 22) (audio). Has content new to me, even after reading a lot on this theme.  Well-written and worthwhile.

StarBright

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #270 on: April 22, 2021, 08:27:19 PM »

40. The Bookshop of Yesterdays--mystery, family, interesting dynamics with good twists
41. The Way of the House Husband Volume I--my first successful foray into manga, about a gangster who gives it up to be a house husband
42. The Mistresses of Cliveden--biography of an English stately home and the women who have presided over it
43. The Devil in the White City--history of the Chicago World's Fair and the serial killer who operated in Chicago at the same time
44. Behind the Attic Wall-read about it here and did not enjoy it. YA, mostly sad and weird but with a sort of happy ending
45. A Vintage Affair-woman opens up a vintage clothing shop and meets interesting people
46. The Painted Veil--perfect blend of 1920's and modernism. Bright young thing marries to avoid being an old maid, is generally awful, then grows up
47. The Postscript Murders--A cosy mystery by Ellie Griffiths. I love her Ruth Galloway series, but this one whetted my appetite until I can get the next Ruth book at the library.
48. All Things Bright and Beautiful--James Herriot's account of being an English country vet in the 1930s

So close! Slogging through The Odyssey and rereading Rebecca for the umpteenth time to round it out. If I don't quit on The Odyssey. Sorry, Homer.

aww- so sorry you didn't like Behind the Attic Wall! I definitely dug the sad creepiness of it. It reminded me of Secret Garden but through a fun house mirror.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2021, 08:29:42 PM by StarBright »

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #271 on: April 25, 2021, 11:50:07 PM »
Next 20, favourites marked:

141. The Mysterious Affair at Styles - Agatha Christie
142. The Murder on the Links - Agatha Christie
143. Death on the Nile - Agatha Christie
144. Hickory Dickory Dock - Agatha Christie
I'm reading the Hercule Poirot series for the first time, and absolutely loving it. I placed holds on the entire series at the library.

145. The True Bastards - Jonathan French
146. Invasion - K.F. Breene
147. Shadow Lands - K.F. Breene
148. Siege - K.F. Breen
149. Overtaken - K.F. Breen

150. The Kraken's Heart - Anne Rider
Notable for being the dumbest shit I've ever read in my life. It showed up as a Goodreads recommendation for some mysterious reason, and had an interesting cover, so I gave it a go.

151. The Jaguar Knight - Ann Aguirre
152. The Crown of Gilded Bones - Jennifer Armentrout

153. Night Broken - Patricia Briggs
154. Fire Touched - Patricia Briggs
155. Silence Fallen - Patricia Briggs
156. Storm Cursed - Patricia Briggs
157. Smoke Bitten - Patricia Briggs
158. Fair Game - Patricia Briggs
159. Dead Hear - Patricia Briggs
160. Burn Bright - Patricia Briggs
Finishing up the fantastic Mercy Thompson series - just one left, with a lot of library holds. Such a good urban fantasy series.

Splashncash

• Bristles
« Reply #272 on: April 26, 2021, 11:02:52 AM »

28. Garlic and Sapphires by Ruth Reichl
29. The Nature of the Beast by Louise Penny
30. AWOL on the Appalachian Trail by David Miller
31. Glass Houses by Louise Penny

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #273 on: April 26, 2021, 04:54:13 PM »
18. The Immortality Key: The Secret History of the Religion with No Name, by Brian C. Muraresku (Apr 18). 
19. Sharks in the Time of Saviors, by Kawai Strong Washburn (Apr 22).
20. Caste: The Origins of Our Discontents, by Isabel Wilkerson (Apr 22) (audio).

21. In the Midst of Winter, by Isabel Allende (Apr 26) (audio). The bigger picture plot is not great, but from minute to minute, I enjoyed listening as I did chores and took walks.   One very unusual part was when one of the characters reflected back on the 1973 Chilean coup, which ended the Presidency of the author's second cousin, Salvador Allende.  It was . . .surprisingly unbiased?

change_seeker

• Bristles
« Reply #274 on: April 28, 2021, 07:09:51 PM »

Finished:

1.  Farmer Boy, by Laura Ingalls Wilder.  Listened to the audiobook with the kids on our Christmas trip to my parents.  Hearing the chores for those kids makes me think I should expect more from mine around the house!
2.  Jubal Sackett, by Louis L'Amour.  Nice change of pace from his normal formula.  The conjuring of fire to pull one over on his wife seemed...cheap.
3.  Last of the Breed, by Louis L'Amour.  Enjoyed, probably the fourth or fifth time I've read.
4.  The Eagle of the Ninth, by Rosemary Sutcliffe.  Took me a bit to get used to all the Roman terminology.  I think I'll have to watch the movie now to bemoan how it doesn't follow the book.
5.  The Silver Branch, by Rosemary Sutcliffe.  Probably my favorite of the trilogy.
6.  The Lantern Bearers, by Rosemary Sutcliffe.
7.  Comstock Lode, by Louis L'Amour.  Good epic tale to be bedridden with while awaiting COVID results.
8.  The Haunted Mesa, by Louis L'Amour.  Western Tough Guy + Sci Fi (parallel world that explains Anasazi disappearance)
9.  Atomic Habits, by James Clear.  Now to try some of his suggestions!
10. Galloway, by Louis L'Amour.
11. The Bible New Testament, The Message translation, by various authors.
12. The Lonesome Gods, by Louis L'Amour.
13. Hondo, by Louis L'Amour.
14. The White, by Deborah Larsen.  Fictional re-telling of the capture and life of Mary Jemison.  Read it at 3AM, interesting enough to keep me awake.
15. Fool Me Twice, by Jeff Lindsay.  Amusing throughout, but seemed to be striving to become the next blockbuster action thriller.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #275 on: April 28, 2021, 09:52:48 PM »
20. Caste: The Origins of Our Discontents, by Isabel Wilkerson (Apr 22) (audio).
21. In the Midst of Winter, by Isabel Allende (Apr 26) (audio).

22. The Grown Up, by Gillian Flynn (Apr 27) (audio). Another nice diversion though not remarkable. A novella, short 'n' sweet.  A bit surprising plot-wise (as you might expect from the author?).

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #276 on: April 29, 2021, 06:25:52 PM »
35. Blue Moon Rising (Forest Kingdom Book #1)-read about it here, fantasy about a second royal son who goes on a quest with unintended consequences.
36. The Spender's Guide to Debt-Free Living- read about it here, realized I'd already read it, but then read it again just because it's so good. I no longer have debt, but it's a good reminder of how far I've come since I originally read it right at the beginning of my Mustachian journey.
37. Inheriting Edith-pretty sure I read about it here, maid inherits a beach house and the deceased's mother as well.
38. Escapade-Jane Austen-esque comedy of manners with surprising twists.
39. Blood & Honor (Forest Kingdom Book #2) Lots more gore and violence than the first book, but incredibly satisfying ending.

Quit reading--A Court of Silver Flames. There are too many good books out there to slog through this one.

49. That Churchill Woman--fictional account of Jennie Churchill's (Winston's mother) life. Good enough to keep me awake late reading it for two nights in a row. Interesting glimpse into the aristocracy in the Gilded Age.

50. My Patients Like Treats--modern house call vet's adventures. Not well-written, but entertaining.

I made it!

And I totally quit reading The Odyssey. The foreword was way more interesting than the actual book. Like Beowulf, I imagine these stories were much more entertaining millennia ago when there weren't competing forms of entertainment :/

redhead84

• Stubble
« Reply #277 on: April 30, 2021, 12:05:11 PM »
April:

23) The Rose Code by Kate Quinn (kindle) - ★★★★
24) Think Again: The Power of Knowing What You Don't Know by Adam Grant (audio) - ★★★★
25) The Vanishing Half by Brit Bennett (kindle) - ★★★★★

26) The Push by Ashley Audrain (kindle) - ★★★
27) The Mountains Sing by Nguyễn Phan Quế Mai (audio) - ★★★★★
28) The Bomber Mafia by Malcolm Gladwell (audio) - ★★★
29) Migrations by Charlotte McConaghy (kindle) - ★★★★½

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #278 on: May 02, 2021, 09:31:55 AM »
En tilfeldig Nordmann (A random Norwegian) by Lars Saabye Christensen

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #279 on: May 02, 2021, 09:57:59 AM »

27) Hope in the Dark: Untold Histories, Wild Possibilities, Rebecca Solnit
28) Me, Chi and Bruce Lee: Adventures in Martial Arts, Brian Preston
29) World of Wonders: In Praise of Fireflies, Whale Sharks, and Other Astonishments, Aimee Nezhukumatathil
30) Possum Living: How to Live Well Without a Job and (Almost) No Money, Dolly Freed
31) Anam Cara: A Book of Celtic Wisdom, John O'Donodue
32) A Childrens Bible, Lydia Millet (fiction)

recently finished

33) Anxious People, Frederik Backman (fiction, *bookclub)--was irritated by the characters for almost the entire book, but in the end I would recommend it :)

34) Blue Sky Kingdom: An Epic Family Journey to the Heart of the Himalaya, Bruce Kirkby --enjoyed this one. Made me want to trek in distant mountains, made me want to stay home, shed an unexpected tear or two

35) The World Could be Otherwise:  Imagination and the Bodhisattva Path, Norman Fischer--read this one last year and decided it was worth another go. I feel like there is a lot in here that would reveal itself over time & multiple attempts/readings  :)

36) The Wisdom of Frugality: Why Less Is More - More Or Less, Emrys Westacott (currently listening to this as an audiobook from the library).
Highly recommend to those who enjoyed Guide to a Good Life: The Ancient Art of Stoic Joy by William Irving. I am liking this one more than expected. Thoughtful analysis of the arguments for & against frugality (and it's implied values/morals/etc). Not a rah-rah cheerleading book but a rather well rounded approach to the topic.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #280 on: May 02, 2021, 02:40:50 PM »
Clap when you land by Elizabeth Acevedo.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2021, 02:49:03 AM by Linea_Norway »

Splashncash

• Bristles
« Reply #281 on: May 03, 2021, 01:52:16 PM »

32. Kingdom of the Blind by Louise Penny
33. A Better Man by Louise Penny
34. Before the Coffee Gets Cold by Toshikazu Kawaguchi
35. Anxious People by Fredrik Backman (audio this time)
« Last Edit: May 03, 2021, 04:14:32 PM by Splashncash »

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #282 on: May 05, 2021, 11:42:56 AM »
Kjærlighet i nødsfall (Love in case of emergency) by Daniela Krien

Raenia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #283 on: May 07, 2021, 08:39:42 AM »
1Gardening When it Counts: Growing Food in Hard TimesSteve SolomonLibraryTBR List01/05/2021Nonfiction - Home and Garden
2Media Gothic: A Stroll Through State Street's Dark HistoryLaurie Hull, Matt LakeOwnOther1/8/2021Nonfiction - History/Biography
3PrettiesScott WesterfieldLibrarySequel1/16/2021Fiction - Young Adult
4SpecialsScott WesterfieldLibrarySequel1/17/2021Fiction - Young Adult
5ExtrasScott WesterfieldLibrarySequel1/18/2021Fiction - Young Adult
6Living the Good Life: How to Live Sanely and Simply in a Troubled WorldHelen Nearing, Scott NearingLibraryTBR List1/21/2021Nonfiction - Self-help
7StrongholdMelanie RawnOwnReread1/27/2021Fiction - Fantasy
8RebeccaDaphne du MaurierLibraryTBR List1/29/2021General Fiction
9The Black CompanyGlen CookLibraryTBR List2/1/2021Fiction - Fantasy
10Shadows LingerGlen CookLibrarySequel2/3/2021Fiction - Fantasy
11From Our Home to Yours: Comfort Food to Give and ShareJoyce GoldsteinOwnOther2/5/2021Nonfiction - Home and Garden
12The White RoseGlen CookLibrarySequel2/6/2021Fiction - Fantasy
13Spiralized: Quick and HealthyPublications International, Ltd.OwnOther2/7/2021Nonfiction - Home and Garden
14The Dragon TokenMelanie RawnOwnReread2/11/2021Fiction - Fantasy
15SkybowlMelanie RawnOwnReread2/15/2021Fiction - Fantasy
16The Lark and the WrenMercedes LackeyOwnReread2/16/2021Fiction - Fantasy
17The Robin and the KestrelMercedes LackeyOwnReread2/20/2021Fiction - Fantasy
18The Eagle and the NightingalesMercedes LackeyOwnSequel2/20/2021Fiction - Fantasy
19Spiritual Ecology: 10 Practices to Reawaken the Sacred in Everyday LifeLlewellyn Vaughan-Lee, Hilary HartOwnTBR List2/21/0202Nonfiction - Philosophy
20Forest of a Thousand LanternsJulie C. DaoLibraryTBR List2/22/2021Fiction - Young Adult
21A Cast of CorbiesMercedes Lackey, Josepha ShermanOwnReread2/24/2021Fiction - Fantasy
22Atomic HabitsJames ClearLibraryTBR List3/1/2021Nonfiction - Self-help
23SabrielGarth NixOwnReread3/2/2021Fiction - Fantasy
24LiraelGarth NixOwnReread3/5/2021Fiction - Fantasy
25Designing Your Life: How to Build a Well-Lived, Joyful LifeBill Burnett, Dave EvansLibraryTBR List3/7/2021Nonfiction - Self-help
26AbhorsenGarth NixOwnReread3/9/2021Fiction - Fantasy
27Practical Sigil Magic: Creating Personal Symbols for SuccessFrater U.D.OwnTBR List3/9/2021Nonfiction - Philosophy
28ClarielGarth NixLibrarySequel3/10/2021Fiction - Fantasy
29When Helping Hurts: How to Alleviate Poverty without Hurting the Poor... and YourselfSteve Corbett, Brian FikkertOwnTBR List3/14/2021General Nonfiction
30GoldenhandGarth NixLibrarySequel3/15/2021Fiction - Fantasy
31Four & Twenty BlackbirdsMercedes LackeyLibrarySequel3/26/2021Fiction - Fantasy
32Digital Minimalism: Choosing a Focused Life in a Noisy WorldCal NewportLibraryTBR List3/29/2021Nonfiction - Self-help
33Craft: An American HistoryGlenn AdamsonOwnOther4/1/2021Nonfiction - History/Biography
34The Hero with a Thousand FacesJoseph CampbellLibraryTBR List4/11/2021Nonfiction - Philosophy
35The Kingmaker's DaughterPhilippa GregoryLibraryTBR List4/13/2021Fiction - Historical

36Mansfield ParkJane AustenLibraryBook Club4/19/2021Fiction - Historical
37The Color of MagicTerry PratchettLibraryTBR List4/22/2021Fiction - Fantasy
38A Court of Silver FlamesSarah J MaasLibrarySequel4/25/2021Fiction - Fantasy
39ElantrisBrandon SandersonOwnReread5/3/2021Fiction - Fantasy
40First Things FirstStephen R Covey, A Roger Merrill, Rebeccca R MerrillLibraryTBR List5/6/2021Nonfiction - Self-help

Nonfiction: 14/25
TBR List: 15/25
Philosophy/Spirituality: 3/5

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #284 on: May 07, 2021, 01:35:31 PM »
Next 20 - I can't even really mark favourites this time, because pretty much everything was SO GOOD this time around. I think I finally have enough books logged on Goodreads to start getting very, very good and curated recommendations for my tastes. Over half of this chunk was the Hercule Poirot series, which I am so addicted to now. And Prosper's Demon was creepy as hell.

161. Dead Man's Folly - Agatha Christie
162. The Big Four - Agatha Christie
163. Death in the Clouds - Agatha Christie
164. Murder in Mesopotamia - Agatha Christie
165. Appointment with Death - Agatha Christie
166. Sad Cypress - Agatha Christie
167. Evil Under the Sun - Agatha Christie
168. Five Little Pigs - Agatha Christie
169. Taken at the Flood - Agatha Christie
170. Peril at End House - Agatha Christie
171. The Clocks - Agatha Christie
172. Lord Edgware Dies - Agatha Christie
173. Mrs. Mcginty's Dead - Agatha Christie
174. The Psychopath Test - Jon Ronson
175. So You've Been Publicly Shamed - Jon Ronson
176. Woke: A Guide to Social Justice - Titania McGrath
177. Prosper's Demon - K.J. Parker
178. The Armored Saint - Myke Cole
179. The Queen of Crows - Myke Cole
180. The Killing Light - Myke Cole

StarBright

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #285 on: May 07, 2021, 04:03:56 PM »
23. Debt: The First 5000 Years by David Graeber24. A Rogue of One's Own by Evie Dunmore
26. Faithless in Death by J.D. Robb
27. The Rose Code by Kate Quinn

Gave Up On:

28. Hunt, Gather, Parent by Michaeleen Doucleff  . . . So I said no more parenting books, and then my husband checked this out from the library, which was a first for him. And I'm so glad - I loved it and found some lovely and useful tips.
29. Big Summer by Jennifer Weiner  I wanted to like it more than I did. There was a germ of something fun there - murder and influencers. Could have been like the Guest List. Felt like a genre mismatch for the author though.
30. The Social Graces by Renee Rosen. Fine, but nothing special
31. Jane Eyre - classic, but I am not a Bronte girl

Currently reading:

Susan, Linda, Nina, and Cokie: The Extraordinary Story of the Founding Mothers of NPR
And
Wide Sargasso Sea (which is an anti-colonialist/feminist response to Jane Eyre)

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #286 on: May 09, 2021, 12:03:29 PM »
The Glass Hotel by Emily St. John Mandel.

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #287 on: May 10, 2021, 02:18:24 PM »
30) Possum Living: How to Live Well Without a Job and (Almost) No Money, Dolly Freed
31) Anam Cara: A Book of Celtic Wisdom, John O'Donodue
32) A Childrens Bible, Lydia Millet (fiction)
33) Anxious People, Frederik Backman (fiction, *bookclub)
34) Blue Sky Kingdom: An Epic Family Journey to the Heart of the Himalaya, Bruce Kirkby
35) The World Could be Otherwise:  Imagination and the Bodhisattva Path, Norman Fischer
36) The Wisdom of Frugality: Why Less Is More - More Or Less, Emrys Westacott

recently finished/currently reading

37) In Love with the World: A Monk's Journey Through the Bardos of Living and Dying, Helen Tworkov and Yongey Mingyur Rinpoche --found in the thrift store for 75c and am loving this. Story of a young Tibetan Buddhist Abbot who decides to give up his privileged life to live as a wandering beggar for three years instead of entering a traditional mountain/monastery retreat.

38) The Second Book of the Tao, Stephen Mitchell --not sure why but it appears that I'm on a bit of a spiritual book binge
« Last Edit: May 27, 2021, 09:20:35 AM by Serendip »

nessness

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #288 on: May 10, 2021, 11:26:50 PM »
14. Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury
15. 1984 by George Orwell

I had never read either of these. I liked them both, especially 1984.

Splashncash

• Bristles
« Reply #289 on: May 11, 2021, 08:30:10 PM »

36. Why We Swim by Bonnie Tsui
37. All the Devils are Here by Louise Penny

jrhampt

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #290 on: May 12, 2021, 10:34:23 AM »

36. Why We Swim by Bonnie Tsui
37. All the Devils are Here by Louise Penny

I love Louise Penny's Inspector Gamache series.  I've still got #37 on hold. 
Just read The Hollow Places by T. Kingfisher.  Not a genre I usually read (horror), but I enjoyed it.  And the narrator was funny, too.

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #291 on: May 12, 2021, 07:45:39 PM »
14. Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury
15. 1984 by George Orwell

I had never read either of these. I liked them both, especially 1984.

I just read/listened to 1984 a few months ago--it's brilliant!

Splashncash

• Bristles
« Reply #292 on: May 13, 2021, 11:05:14 AM »
Just read The Hollow Places by T. Kingfisher.  Not a genre I usually read (horror), but I enjoyed it.  And the narrator was funny, too.

Hey jrhampt!  I was introduced to them by my SIL at Christmas and have binge listened to all of them since then.  You would think I could have taken my time and spread them out.  I'm usually much better at delaying gratification...

But I thought there were only 16 Gamache books.  How are you up to #37?

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #293 on: May 13, 2021, 12:48:18 PM »
22. The Grown Up, by Gillian Flynn (Apr 27) (audio).

23. The Office of Historical Corrections, by Danielle Evans (May 12) (audio). WOW.  A truly stunning collection of short stories.  Such multi-dimensional characters and absolutely unique plotlines.  This was a joy.

24. Genghis Khan and the Making of the Modern World, by Jack Weatherford (May 13). Fascinating and I learned a ton, such as that the Mongol Empire was unusually tolerant, egalitarian and "pragmatic rather than ideological." I did wonder how much the author might be less than objective, e.g., downplaying the conquests as significantly less brutal than Western and other civilizations, but he argues his point effectively.  Just the right amount of detail (unlike Book #12 above) to make it an engrossing read. 

jrhampt

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #294 on: May 13, 2021, 04:18:39 PM »

Hey jrhampt!  I was introduced to them by my SIL at Christmas and have binge listened to all of them since then.  You would think I could have taken my time and spread them out.  I'm usually much better at delaying gratification...

But I thought there were only 16 Gamache books.  How are you up to #37?

They’re hard not to binge...I meant #37 on your list- All the Devils are Here

Zhiantara

• Bristles
« Reply #295 on: May 16, 2021, 07:31:00 AM »
Quote from: Zhiantara
1. The House of Islam: a global history, Ed Husain. Really good overview of the history, basic tenets, strengths and problems of Islam, written by a devout believer.
2. Quiet: the power of introverts in a world that can't stop talking, Susan Cain. I read this whenever I need reminding that introversion is not a personal failing. Soooo good.
3. No Friend but the Mountains, Behrouz Boochani. The experiences of an asylum seeker detained on Manus Island. Hard to put down because it is excellent, hard to pick up again because it is not a feel-good read.
4. The explosive child, Dr. Ross Greene. Why standard behaviour management techniques don't work for kids with challenging behaviours and how to partner with them to change things and make life better for everyone.

5. Welcoming food: Diet as medicine for home cooks and other healers. Book 1: Energetics of food and healing. Andrew Sterman. The Chinese medicine approach to food but through a western lens.
6. Welcoming food: Diet as medicine for home cooks and other healers. Book 2: Recipes and kitchen practice. Andrew Sterman. Tried a few ideas and seems to be helping with my reflux.

Well, those were a marathon. Next I think I need something just for fun.

lazycow

• Bristles
« Reply #296 on: May 16, 2021, 08:23:12 PM »
APRIL (cont'd)
*Own copy

30.   *Milkman – Anna Burns (reread). Listened on audio the first time round, but enjoyed this even more upon actually reading it.
31.   Dead Lions (#2 Slow Horses) – Mick Herron (reread). This series is a slow burn and I am thoroughly enjoying it.
32.   The Murder Bag – Tony Parsons. Hated this. Way too violent.
33.   Find you first – Linwood Barclay. Have already forgotten what this one was about.
34.   Kintsugi: the Japanese art of embracing the imperfect and loving your flaws (NF) – Tomas Navarro. Cute, but not life-changing.
35.   Those we left behind – Stuart Neville. Am trying new-to-me crime writers and sadly, this did not make the cut.

MAY
36.   Real Tigers (#3 Slow Horses) – Mick Herron. Put #4 on my library request list as soon as I finished reading this. Apparently Gary Oldman and Kristin Scott Thomas are currently filming the TV series so it may actually be decent!
37.   61 Hours – Lee Child. I read Killing Floor (the 1st Jack Reacher) years ago and wasn’t impressed. This one was a thoroughly fun read. ‘Hands like supermarket chickens’ is the best line ever and still makes me laugh. And the hubris of Tom Cruise!! JR is supposed to be 6ft 5in!!
38.   My garden is a car park and other design dilemmas (NF) – Kendra Wilson. Great gardening book. I need to own this.
39.   His and Hers – Alice Feeney. Very good psych thriller. No spoilers.
40.   Between the Covers: sex, socializing and survival (NF) – Jilly Cooper. I love her writing, but prefer her non-fiction over her bonkbusters. Selection of her old newspaper columns from the early days. Dated, but still amusing.
41.   The Perfect Guests – Emma Rous. Started promisingly but completely lost interest in the outcome.
42.   Girl A – Abigail Dean. Must stop reading these hyped-up psych dramas. Lacklustre.
43.   Before she disappeared – Lisa Gardner. Really decent stand-alone novel. I’ve read everything she’s written.
44.   Close to home – Cara Hunter. Got ¼ of the way in and remembered I’d read it before. Don’t know why I bothered reading it again.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2021, 02:12:18 PM by lazycow »

redhead84

• Stubble
« Reply #297 on: May 17, 2021, 08:56:13 AM »
May:

30) Shrill: Notes from a Loud Woman by Lindy West (audio) - ★★★½
31) Four Lost Cities: A Secret History of the Urban Age by Annalee Newitz (audio) - ★★★½

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #298 on: May 19, 2021, 01:15:49 PM »
22. The Grown Up, by Gillian Flynn (Apr 27) (audio).
23. The Office of Historical Corrections, by Danielle Evans (May 12) (audio).
24. Genghis Khan and the Making of the Modern World, by Jack Weatherford (May 13).

25.Anxious People, by Frederik Backman (May 19). I really disliked a previous book by this author, but his books are so loved that I thought I would try again. I've learned my lesson after hating myself for stubbornly insisting on finishing this book just in case.

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
  • One foot in front of the other....
« Reply #299 on: May 19, 2021, 01:57:25 PM »
4.   Indians on Vacation, Thomas King   This was so funny.
5.   A Man Called Ove, Fredrick Backman  Book club book for March – it was so funny.  DH and I are going to watch the movie adaption this weekend.
6.   Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine, Gail Honeyman
7.   Planting in a Post Wild World, Thomas Rainer and Claudia West
8.   Flint & Feather: The Life and Times of E. Pauline Johnson Tekahionwake, Charlotte Gray  A little slow going in the beginning.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!