Author Topic: 50 Books in 2017!  (Read 131213 times)

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
  • Insert dough/bread/crust joke
Re: 50 Books in 2017!
« Reply #550 on: August 15, 2017, 03:45:49 AM »
1. How to stay de-junked forever by Dawna Walter (1/1/17)
2. The Chemistry of Tears by Peter Carey (6/1/17)
3. Spark Joy by Marie Kondo (20/1/17)
4. The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up by Marie Kondo (28/1/17)
5. Superfreakonomics by Steven D Levitt & Stephen J Dubner (19/2/17)
6. The Heart of the Matter by Graham Greene (25/2/17)
7. The Listerdale Mystery by Agatha Christie (short stories) (9/3/17)
8. Animal Farm by George Orwell (25/4/17)
9. That Eye, the Sky by Tim Winton (25/4/17)
10. Love in a Cold Climate by Nancy Mitford (28/4/17)
11. Jack Maggs by Peter Carey (30/4/17)
12. The Tax Inspector by Peter Carey. (28/6/17)
13. Dreaming of Magda by Stefan Laszczuk (2/7/17)
14. Afterwards by Rosamund Lupton (9/7/17)
15. The Day of the Triffids by John Wyndham (17/7/17)
16. How to Rethink Building Materials - Creating ecological housing for the builder, designer and homeowner.
17. Empowered Fertility by Clare Hall and Dr. Devora Lieberman
18. Finding Your Way in a Wild New World by Martha Beck - (10%)
19. The Little Book of Common Sense Investing by John C. Bogle (12/8/17)
20. Hillbilly Elegy by J.D. Vance (15/8/17) Well that was an eye-opener for a non-US person from a reasonably stable upbringing. 

ringer707

• Bristles
« Reply #551 on: August 15, 2017, 06:17:27 AM »
1. Rose: My Life in Service to Lady Astor by Rosina Harrison (Fun little nonfiction read).
2. The Maze Runner by James Dashner (Maze Runner #1) (really enjoyed this book and the next two in the series; would recommend).
3. Number the Stars by Lois Lowry
4. The Scorch Trials by James Dashner (Maze Runner #2)
5. The Death Cure by James Dashner (Maze Runner #3)
6. Welcome to the World, Baby Girl by Fannie Flagg (Elmwood Springs #1) (I am a HUGE Fannie Flagg fan. Not my favorite one of her books, but still really good).
7. Dead Reckoning by Charlaine Harris (Sookie Stackhouse #11) (The Sookie books started out pretty good, but went downhill after about book 8).
8. Standing in the Rainbow by Fannie Flagg (Elmwood Springs #2) (More classic Fannie. Really liked this one).
9. Deadlocked by Charlaine Harris (Sookie Stackhouse #12)
10. Dead Ever After by Charlaine Harris (Sookie Stackhouse #13)
11. A Touch of Dead by Charlaine Harris (Sookie Stackhouse Short Stories)
12. Can't Wait to Get to Heaven by Fannie Flagg (Elmwood Springs #3) (LOVED this one. Definitely cried at it).
13. The Golden Compass by Phillip Pullman (His Dark Materials #1) (WOW! Why didn't I read this series before!?)
14. More Than This by Jay McLean (More Than #1) (Romance trash free on Kindle Unlimited)
15. More Than Her by Jay McLean (More Than #2)
16. The Subtle Knife by Phillip Pullman (His Dark Materials #2)
17. Wool by Hugh Howey (Silo #1) (Another WOW. Highly recommend. The second book in the series dragged for me, third picked up some. Overall, phenomenal though).
18. Shift by Hugh Howey (Silo #2)
19. Slumdog Millionaire by Vikas Swarup (Another highly recommend.)
20. Dust by Hugh Howey (Silo #3)
21. The Star Dwellers by David Estes (Dwellers #2) (Do not recommend. Poor writing, poor character development, poor storyline).
22. The Sun Dwellers by David Estes (Dwellers #3)
23. The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger 
24. The Princess Bride by William Goldman (Classic. If you loved the movie, you'll love the book. Many scenes from the movie are pulled word for word from the book).
25. Flowers in the Attic by V.C. Andrews (Not all it was cracked up to be, imo).
26. Bound by Donna Jo Napoli (Chinese children's Cinderella story. Meh).
27. The Prestige by Christopher Quest (HIGHLY RECOMMEND. I still get chills thinking about the ending).
28. Agnes Grey by Anne Bronte (Good. Not my favorite Bronte sister, but it was fine).
29. Ruth's People by Donald McCaig (Not well written at all. I don't know what his affinity is for building up to a climactic event and then skipping right over it).
30. Big Little Lies by Liane Moriarty (Not what I'd usually pick up, but actually pretty good).
31. Madame Bovary by Gustave Flaubert
32. Alice in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll (man, what was he smoking?)
33. The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up by Marie Kondo
34. The Amber Spyglass by Phillip Pullman (His Dark Materials #3)
35. The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins (Honestly, I thought the ending to Big Little Lies was more of a surprise)
36. City of Bones by Cassandra Clare (The Mortal Instruments #1)
37. The Fellowship of the Ring by J.R.R. Tolkien (The Lord of the Rings #1)
38. The Whole Town's Talking by Fannie Flagg (Elmwood Springs #4) (Loved it. Wish this wasn't her last book)
39. Push by Sapphire (re-read, but I'm getting ready to read the sequel to it)
40. The 5th Wave by Rick Yancey (The 5th Wave #1) (not a bad foundation but very transparent. I kept hoping there would be a plot twist but there wasn't)
41. The Kill Order by James Dashner (The Maze Runner #4)
42. The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (reread, but I watched the movies lately and wanted to read the books again)
43. I Can't Make This Up by Kevin Hart (I'm not the type to normally read celebrity autobiographies, but this was actually really good. I recommend the audiobook)
44. Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins
45. The Two Towers by J.R.R. Tolkien
46. The Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins
47. Mary Poppins by P.L. Travers (I preferred the Disney movie)
48. City of Ashes by Cassandra Clare (The Mortal Instruments #2)
49. A Wrinkle in Time by Madeline L'Engle
50. Gathering Blue by Lois Lowry (The Giver #2)
51. A Wind in the Door by Madeline L'Engle (Wrinkle in Time #2)
52. The Wandering Harlot by Iny Lorentz (could have been about 200 pages shorter)

FireHiker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #552 on: August 15, 2017, 09:40:18 AM »
1.   The Girl on the Train (terrible book!) by Paula Hawkins
2.   Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn
3.   The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
4.   Memoirs of a Geisha by Arther Golden
5.   The More of Less by Joshua Becker
6.   The Maze Runner by James Dashner
7.   The Scorch Trials by James Dashner
8.   The Death Cure by James Dashner
9.   The Kill Order by James Dashner
10.   The Five People You Meet in Heaven by Mitch Albom
11.   Midnight's Children by Salman Rushdie
12.   Collapse by Jared Diamond
13.   The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger
14.   The Fever Code by James Dashner
15.   Hemingway Didn't Say That by Garson O'Toole
16.   Community 92 by Catherine Hunn
17.   Rebecca by Daphne Du Maurier
18.   Outlander by Diana Gabaldon
19.   Dragonfly in Amber by Diana Gabaldon
20.   Voyager by Diana Gabaldon
21.   Guns, Germs, and Steel by Jared Diamond
22.   Drums of Autumn by Diana Gabaldon
23.   The Fiery Cross by Diana Gabaldon
24.   A Breath of Snow and Ashes by Diana Gabaldon
25.   The Space Between by Diana Gabaldon
26.   Lord John and the Private Matter by Diana Gabaldon
27.   Lord John and the Brotherhood of the Blade by Diana Gabaldon
28.   Lord John and the Hand of the Devils by Diana Gabaldon
29.   The Scottish Prisoner by Diana Gabaldon
30.   The Custom of the Army by Diana Gabaldon
31.   A Plague of Zombies by Diana Gabaldon
32.   Virgins by Diana Gabaldon
33.   An Echo in the Bone by Diana Gabaldon
34.   Written in my Own Hearts Blood by Diana Gabaldon
35.   Seven Stones to Stand or Fall by Diana Gabaldon
36. Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell

37. Birdsong by Sebastian Faulk

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #553 on: August 15, 2017, 12:06:39 PM »

Oh man, yes. My MIL super wanted me to read it. Um... how do you talk to your MIL about a book like that!? Good god. I just kept waiting for it to be something other than sheer misery, and it just wouldn't stop. Fairly predictable as well, if you ask me.

FireHiker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #554 on: August 15, 2017, 04:19:26 PM »

Oh man, yes. My MIL super wanted me to read it. Um... how do you talk to your MIL about a book like that!? Good god. I just kept waiting for it to be something other than sheer misery, and it just wouldn't stop. Fairly predictable as well, if you ask me.

It has been months since I read it now, and I still cringe when I think about how bad it was. Thank goodness I am a very quick reader, so it wasn't a lot of time to get through. I might not have finished it if I were a slower reader though. I am trying not to laugh at the thought of my MIL reading it. At least it isn't Fifty Shades, which I haven't read and won't. I have higher standards for the writing quality, from what I hear.

ringer707

• Bristles
« Reply #555 on: August 16, 2017, 01:09:41 PM »

It has been months since I read it now, and I still cringe when I think about how bad it was. Thank goodness I am a very quick reader, so it wasn't a lot of time to get through. I might not have finished it if I were a slower reader though. I am trying not to laugh at the thought of my MIL reading it. At least it isn't Fifty Shades, which I haven't read and won't. I have higher standards for the writing quality, from what I hear.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who felt this way. Very predictable ending. I was really expecting some big twist to occur and was very disappointed.

FireHiker, it looks like we have very similar taste in books. You don't happen to have a GoodReads account do you? Don't want to pry if that's too personal, just thought I'd be willing to link up with you on there to get more ideas for reading :)

FireHiker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #556 on: August 16, 2017, 02:29:25 PM »

I'm glad I'm not the only one who felt this way. Very predictable ending. I was really expecting some big twist to occur and was very disappointed.

FireHiker, it looks like we have very similar taste in books. You don't happen to have a GoodReads account do you? Don't want to pry if that's too personal, just thought I'd be willing to link up with you on there to get more ideas for reading :)

I am on goodreads under a different username, although I am only just starting to fill it in. I'll PM you. :)

Fritzy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #557 on: August 16, 2017, 07:48:01 PM »
Most of the challenges listed seem impossible or ill-advised for me since I'm about 5 months pregnant (e.g., losing weight, starting a new exercise regimen, saving a bunch of money, not buying any new clothes, etc.), but this one is probably doable, if I start now and aim to finish next August. I'll shoot for 15-20 by the end of the year... :)

1) What to expect when you're expecting
2) What to expect in the first year
3) Outlander - Book 1
4) Outlander - Book 2 (just starting)
« Last Edit: August 23, 2017, 08:07:47 PM by Fritzy »

VeggieTable

• Stubble
« Reply #558 on: August 17, 2017, 09:06:04 PM »

24. Call the Midwife- 8/12/17
25. The Amber Spyglass- 25% (reading through with DH aloud, slow going)
26. The Egg & I- 30%

How was Call the Midwife? I've gotten into the TV show but I didn't realize there was a book as well. Worth reading?

VeggieTable

• Stubble
« Reply #559 on: August 17, 2017, 09:09:52 PM »
1. The Underground Railroad by Colson Whitehead (excellent; page-turning, memorable, couldn't wait to get back to reading when I had to put it down)
2. Lab Girl by Hope Jahren (one of the best memoirs I've read in a while. Also incidentally learned a lot about trees)
3. Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up by Marie Kondo (eh. Good info, but could've been condensed to about 1/3 the length)
4. Olive Kitteridge by Elizabeth Strout
5. When Breath Becomes Air by Paul Kalanithi
6.The Gene: An Intimate History by Siddhartha Mukherjee (40% finished; loan expired)
7. You are Not So Smart by David McRaney - made it about 40% through this book before giving up. It's geared towards people who know nothing about psychology/research methods. I skimmed the table of contents and realized I wasn't missing much.
8. Black Water by Louise Doughty
9. A Criminal Defense by William Myers, Jr. (Kindle First book - I was pleasantly surprised. Much better than other Kindle First books I've tried)
10. Ghettoside by Jill Leovy (anyone interested in reducing the high homicide rates in inner cities should read this. So basically everyone.)
11. Why Not Me? by Mindy Kaling
12. American Heiress: The Wild Saga of the Kidnapping, Crimes, and Trial of Patty Hearst by Jeffrey Toobin (enjoyed this one a lot. Toobin is an engaging writer who clearly did exhaustive research. Read more like a novel than a typical nonfiction account.)
13.  Belgravia by Julian Fellowes. Good read, though it lagged at times. Fellowes wrote Downton Abbey and it definitely was of a similar style. I'm not sure I'll be rushing out to read his other books, though.
14. Lost Girls: An Unsolved American Mystery by Robert Kolker. (I'm hoping Kolker has written other books because this was excellent. Meticulously researched, shining a spotlight on an overlooked, still-unsolved case.)
15. Where'd you Go, Bernadette? by Maria Semple. (Hilarious. I downloaded another Maria Semple book to my Kindle before even finishing this one so I'd have another of hers ready to read immediately.)
16. Today Will Be Different by Maria Semple
17. Before the Fall by Noah Hawley
18. Truly Madly Guilty by Liane Moriarty
19. Missoula by Jon Krakauer

20. 1984 by George Orwell
21. Stillhouse Lake by Rachel Caine (another Kindle First success)

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #560 on: August 17, 2017, 09:20:40 PM »

26. The Egg & I- 30%

How was Call the Midwife? I've gotten into the TV show but I didn't realize there was a book as well. Worth reading?

VERY much like the TV show. It's clear that they pulled directly from the books for 95% of the show's contents. I found it an enjoyable, easy read. I was also informed there are actually 3 parts! So I have two more to get form the library when I'm done with my current batch of books =)

kpd905

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #561 on: August 18, 2017, 05:32:25 AM »
1. A Blistered Kind of Love by Angela and Duffy Ballard (1/11)
2. Hillbilly Elegy by J.D. Vance (1/19)
3. Flood by Stephen Baxter (1/23)
4. A Murder in Time by Julie McElwain (1/29)
5. Cyberstorm by Matthew Mather (2/1)
6. Doing Good Better by Will MacAskill (2/9)
7. Ark by Stephen Baxter (2/15)
8. This Perfect Day by Ira Levin (2/15)
9. On the Beach by Nevil Shute (2/25)
10. The Circle by Dave Eggers (3/6)
11. How to Get Filthy Rich in Rising Asia by Mohsin Hamid (3/9)
12. Sapiens by Yuval Noah Harari (3/10)
13. The Golden Compass by Phillip Pullman (3/20)
14. The Subtle Knife by Phillip Pullman (3/29)
15. Proxima by Stephen Baxter (4/1)
16. The Amber Spyglass by Phillip Pullman (4/8)
17. Ultima by Stephen Baxter (5/2)
18. Underground Airlines by Ben Winters (5/7)
19. On Trails by Robert Moor (5/15)
20. New York 2140 by Kim Stanley Robinson (5/19)
21. 1Q84 by Haruki Murakami (5/28)
22. Brilliance by Marcus Sakey (5/29)
23. Dark Matter by Blake Crouch (6/4)
24. A Better World by Marcus Sakey (6/10)
25. Written in Fire by Marcus Sakey (6/17)
26. Thousand Miler by Melanie McManus (6/25)
27. Kindred by Octavia Butler (6/30)
28. So Good They Can't Ignore You by Cal Newport (7/20)
29.  The Talisman by Stephen King (7/29)
30. Indian Creek Chronicles by Pete Fromm (8/1)
31. Slipstream Time Hacking by Benjamin Hardy (8/3)
32. Waking Giants by Sylvain Neuvel (8/4)
33. Fortune's Rising by Sara King (8/18)

VeggieTable

• Stubble
« Reply #562 on: August 18, 2017, 11:53:28 AM »

26. The Egg & I- 30%

VERY much like the TV show. It's clear that they pulled directly from the books for 95% of the show's contents. I found it an enjoyable, easy read. I was also informed there are actually 3 parts! So I have two more to get form the library when I'm done with my current batch of books =)

Ok, definitely adding it to my list! I love the show

ringer707

• Bristles
« Reply #563 on: August 20, 2017, 06:16:08 AM »
1. Rose: My Life in Service to Lady Astor by Rosina Harrison (Fun little nonfiction read).
2. The Maze Runner by James Dashner (Maze Runner #1) (really enjoyed this book and the next two in the series; would recommend).
6. Welcome to the World, Baby Girl by Fannie Flagg (Elmwood Springs #1) (I am a HUGE Fannie Flagg fan. Not my favorite one of her books, but still really good).
7. Dead Reckoning by Charlaine Harris (Sookie Stackhouse #11) (The Sookie books started out pretty good, but went downhill after about book 8).
8. Standing in the Rainbow by Fannie Flagg (Elmwood Springs #2) (More classic Fannie. Really liked this one).
12. Can't Wait to Get to Heaven by Fannie Flagg (Elmwood Springs #3) (LOVED this one. Definitely cried at it).
13. The Golden Compass by Phillip Pullman (His Dark Materials #1) (WOW! Why didn't I read this series before!?)
14. More Than This by Jay McLean (More Than #1) (Romance trash free on Kindle Unlimited)
17. Wool by Hugh Howey (Silo #1) (Another WOW. Highly recommend. The second book in the series dragged for me, third picked up some. Overall, phenomenal though).
21. The Star Dwellers by David Estes (Dwellers #2) (Do not recommend. Poor writing, poor character development, poor storyline).
24. The Princess Bride by William Goldman (Classic. If you loved the movie, you'll love the book. Many scenes from the movie are pulled word for word from the book).
25. Flowers in the Attic by V.C. Andrews (Not all it was cracked up to be, imo).
27. The Prestige by Christopher Quest (HIGHLY RECOMMEND. I still get chills thinking about the ending).
28. Agnes Grey by Anne Bronte (Good. Not my favorite Bronte sister, but it was fine).
29. Ruth's People by Donald McCaig (Not well written at all. I don't know what his affinity is for building up to a climactic event and then skipping right over it).
30. Big Little Lies by Liane Moriarty (Not what I'd usually pick up, but actually pretty good).
35. The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins (Honestly, I thought the ending to Big Little Lies was more of a surprise)
38. The Whole Town's Talking by Fannie Flagg (Elmwood Springs #4) (Loved it. Wish this wasn't her last book)
40. The 5th Wave by Rick Yancey (The 5th Wave #1) (not a bad foundation but very transparent. I kept hoping there would be a plot twist but there wasn't)
42. The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (reread, but I watched the movies lately and wanted to read the books again)
43. I Can't Make This Up by Kevin Hart (I'm not the type to normally read celebrity autobiographies, but this was actually really good. I recommend the audiobook)
52. The Wandering Harlot by Iny Lorentz (could have been about 200 pages shorter)
53. The Kid by Sapphire (Push #2) (This might be the worst book I've ever read)

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #564 on: August 20, 2017, 06:29:52 AM »
16. How to Rethink Building Materials - Creating ecological housing for the builder, designer and homeowner.
20. Hillbilly Elegy by J.D. Vance (15/8/17)
21. Swallow Summer by Larissa Boehning (19/8/17) Short stories. Picked up as the library was closing after misreading the back. Won't do that again, what a waste of a few hours. 

ringer707

• Bristles
« Reply #565 on: August 21, 2017, 07:55:07 AM »
54. A Redbird Christmas by Fannie Flagg

I feel like I have so many series I want to finish/start before the end of the year! Not sure I'll get through Harry Potter again. I think I'm going to pick up A World of Ice and Fire by George R.R. Martin with the last Game of Thrones episode coming up

FireHiker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #566 on: August 21, 2017, 12:07:37 PM »

38. Madame Bovary by Gustave Flaubert
39. Alice's Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll

SAfAmBrit

• Stubble
« Reply #567 on: August 21, 2017, 12:39:13 PM »
1)No Place to hide - Susan Lewis
2) And the mountains echoed - Khaled Hosseini
3) Harry Potter and the Philosophers Stone - JK Rowling (Bracken_Joys fault!)
4) Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets - JK Rowling (Bracken_Joys fault! - 1 mention of Harry and I am doomed - what do you mean did I cook - no I was Reading Harry Potter!!!)
5) Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban - JK Rowling
6) Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire - JK Rowling
7) Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix - JK Rowling
8) Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince - JK Rowling
9) Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - JK Rowling
10) Ender's Game - Orson Scott Card
11) Hostage - Paul and Rachel Chandler
12) Wild - Cheryl Strayed
13) HRH - Danielle Steel
14) Family Ties - Danielle Steel
15) The Glass Lake - Maeve Binchy
16) Flowers for Algernon - Daniel Keyes
17) Holes - Louis Sachar
18) Pride and Prejudice - Jane Austen (took me about 30 years to read it!)
19) Caper - Parnell Hall
20) Circle 9 - Anne Heltzel
21) Narcissus and Goldmund - Hermann Hesse
22) 33 Men - Jonathan Franklin
23) The curious incident of the dog in the night-time - Mark Haddon
24) Ready, set, green - 8 weeks to modern eco living - Graham Hill/Meagan O'Neill
25) OUR DIRTY LOVE AFFAIR WITH TRASH by Edward Humes
26) No impact man - Colin Beavan
27) Don't Go - Lisa Scottoline

GeekyGirl

• Stubble
« Reply #568 on: August 22, 2017, 05:01:17 AM »
Not much energy to read at this stage, except for blogs and magazines on pregnancy and motherhood. I found an English library though it's a little far, so it'll have to wait after baby.

ENG
  • The Patient by Michael Palmer
  • To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
  • Original Sin by P. D. James
  • The Murder Room by P. D. James
  • The Help by Kathryn Stockett
  • How I Found Freedom in an Unfree World by Harry Browne
  • Your Money or Your Life by Vicki Robin, Joe Dominguez (& Monique Tilford)
  • The Private Patient by P. D. James
  • The Glass Lake by Maeve Binchy
  • State of the Union by Douglas Kennedy
  • The job by Douglas Kennedy
  • A Sight for Sore Eyes by Ruth Rendell

FR*
  • Meurtres en blouse blanche (Shroud for a Nightingale) par P. D. James
  • Une certaine justice (A Certain Justice) par P. D. James
  • Une vie si convenable (The Child’s Child) par Ruth Rendell
  • Meurtres en soutane (Death in Holy Orders) par P. D. James
  • A l'aube du grand amour - Les héritiers de Sorcha I (Dark Witch - The Cousins O'Dwyer Trilogy, Book 1) par Nora Roberts
  • Soeurs et amies (Sisters) par Danielle Steel
  • Coup de foudre (First Sight) par Danielle Steel
  • À l'heure où les cœurs s'éveillent - Les héritiers de Sorcha II (Shadow Spell - The Cousins O'Dwyer Trilogy, Book 2) par Nora Roberts
  • Au crépuscule des amants - Les héritiers de Sorcha III (Blood Magick - The Cousins O'Dwyer Trilogy, Book 3) par Nora Roberts
  • Eternels Célibataires (Toxic Bachelors) par Danielle Steel
  • Kaléidoscope (Kaleidoscope) par Danielle Steel
  • Jusqu'à la fin des temps (Until the End of Time) par Danielle Steel
  • Disparu (Vanished) par Danielle Steel
  • Joyeux Anniversaire (Happy Birthday) par Danielle Steel
  • Victoires (Winners) par Danielle Steel
  • Musique (Country) par Danielle Steel
  • Les collines de la chance (Black Hills) par Nora Roberts
  • Une vie parfaite (A Perfect Life) par Danielle Steel
  • Ambitions (Power Play) par Danielle Steel
  • Le fils prodigue (Prodigal Son) par Danielle Steel
  • Les amants du presbystère (N/A) par Marie-Bernadette Dupuy
  • Bravoure(Pegasus) par Danielle Steel
  • La Cave à charbon (The Vault) par Ruth Rendell
  • Signe suspect (Trace) par Patricia Cornwell

* English title (if applicable) in italics

ringer707

• Bristles
« Reply #569 on: August 22, 2017, 06:35:46 AM »
55. The Ice Dragon by George R.R. Martin
56. City of Glass by Cassandra Clare (The Mortal Instruments #3)

Kriegsspiel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #570 on: August 22, 2017, 08:16:03 AM »
  • F - Embassytown by Mieville (25 Jan)
  • NF - The Way We Never Were by Coontz (30 Jan)
  • F - Make Me by Child (6 Feb)
  • NF - The Rise Of The Creative Class by Florida (10 Feb)
  • NF - The Flight Of The Creative Class by Florida (13 Feb)
  • NF - Who’s Your City by Florida (14 Feb)
  • NF - The Great Reset by Florida (17 Feb)
  • NF - Legends, Lies, & Cherished Myths of American History by Shenkman (19 Feb)
  • NF - West With The Night by Markham (12 Mar)
  • NF - Pogue’s Basics by Pogue (12 Mar)
  • NF - Sustainable Happiness by Sarah Van Gelder (13 Mar)
  • NF - Lights Out by Koppel (18 Mar)
  • NF - Superforecasting by Tetlock (26 Mar)
  • NF - How Proust Can Change Your Life by de Botton (27 Mar)
  • NF - A Brief History Of Time by Hawking (2 April)
  • NF - Holidays On Ice by Sedaris (4 April)
  • NF - A Random Walk Down Wall Street by Malkiel (16 April)
  • NF - One Summer by Bill Bryson (23 April)
  • NF - Free Agent Nation by Pink (29 April)
  • F - The Wild Shore by Robinson (7 May)
  • NF - The Art Of Thinking Clearly by Rolf Dobelli (14 May)
  • NF - The Limits of Power by Bacevich (19 May)
  • NF - Barbarian Days by Finnegan (28 May)
  • F - Pride And Prejudice by Jane Austin (3 June)
  • NF - Living In The Middle Ages by Zarlengo (4 June)
  • F - Nexus by Ramez Naam (5 June)
  • F - Crux by Naam (10 June)
  • F - Apex by Naam (14 June)
  • NF - Rimbaud by White (16 June)
  • NF - Titan by Chernow (26 June)
  • F - Night School by Child (27 June)
  • F - I Am Legend by Matheson (29 June)
  • NF - The Conserver Society by Trainer (4 July)
  • F - Eternity Road by McDevitt (6 July)
  • NF - The Growth Illusion by Douthwaite (11 July)
  • NF - The Endangered American Dream by Luttwak (14 July)
  • NF - Kitchen Confidential by Bourdain (16 July)
  • NF - Saved by Hewitt (17 July)
  • NF - My Name is Chellis by Glendinning (18 July)
  • NF - Alexander Hamilton by Chernow (30 July)
  • NF - Soros by Kaufman (2 Aug)
  • NF - Tarantino by Bernard (3 Aug)
  • NF - Cod: A Biography Of The Fish That Changed The World by Kurlansky (5 Aug)
  • NF - The Worldly Philosophers by Heilbroner (8 Aug)
  • NF - The Transparent Society by Brin (10 Aug)
  • NF - John Maynard Keynes: Hopes Betrayed by Skidelsky (13 Aug)
  • NF - Chess Bitch by Shahade (15 Aug)
  • NF - The Two Income Trap by Warren & Tyagi (16 Aug)
  • NF - Bohemian vs Bourgeois by Grana (17 Aug)
  • NF - Confessions of a Real Estate Entrepreneur by James Randel (20 Aug)

10 F
40 NF

Top Fiction
Nexus
Crux
Apex

Top Nonfiction
West With The Night
One Summer
Titan
Kitchen Confidential
Alexander Hamilton
Cod
The Worldly Philosophers

FireHiker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #571 on: August 22, 2017, 09:30:42 AM »
38. Madame Bovary by Gustave Flaubert
39. Alice's Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll

40. Through the Looking Glass by Lewis Carroll

young_money

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #572 on: August 22, 2017, 08:42:30 PM »
I'm going to jump in on this a little bit late; I started this challenge halfway through July, and so am instead aiming for 26 books in 2017.  Have been falling behind my progress required (1 a week) so hopefully this thread will inspire me to pick up the pace.

1. Different Seasons - Stephen King (some brilliant short stories)
2. Moonwalking with Einstein - Joshua Foer
3. Free Will - Sam Harris (an easy read at 12K words)
4. Top Dog - Po Bronson & Ashley Merryman

vatacvalves

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #573 on: August 24, 2017, 02:20:12 AM »
  Come on everybody!

ringer707

• Bristles
« Reply #574 on: August 24, 2017, 06:17:38 AM »
57. Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother by Amy Chua
58. Messenger by Lois Lowry

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #575 on: August 24, 2017, 09:05:54 AM »
1. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone- 1/5/17
2. Essentialism- 50%
3. Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets- 1/9/17
4. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban- 1/16/17
5. Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire -2/6/17
6. Harry Potter and the Cursed Child- 2/8/17
7. Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix- 2/24/17
8. Geography of Bliss- 3/8/17
9. The Girl on the Train- 3/15/17
10. Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince- 3/26/17
11. The Art of Happiness- 59%
12. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows- 4/24/17
13. Yes Please- Amy Poehler - 5/8/17
14. A Spool of Blue Thread- 5/16/17
15. Present over perfect - gave up 5/28/17 about 50% of the way through, it turned SUPER religious
16. SPIN Selling- 6/1/17
17. Million Dollar Launch by Alan Weiss- 6/10/17
18. Off the Page- Jodi Picoult- 6/21/17
19. Interpreter of Maladies - 50% (due at library, wasn't eligible for renewal. Good book though)
20. The Gifts of Vulnerability- 7/10/17
21. It Starts with the Egg- 7/19/17
22. The Golden Compass- 7/30/17
23. The Subtle Knife- 8/4/17
25. The Amber Spyglass- 30% (reading through with DH aloud, slow going)
26. The Egg & I- 8/20/17

27. The Lies of Locke Lamora- 15%

Vertical Mode

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #576 on: August 24, 2017, 04:56:50 PM »
I'm in! Moving to within a stone's throw of our local public library in a couple of months, so hopefully I can stay on the wagon since I'll have no excuses!

No standard format it appears, so I guess I'll just post what I'm currently reading?

1. Building Construction Before Mechanization - John Fitchen

Updating with a hefty list, sorry I've been so busy I haven't been back to check in! Here we go:

2. Do-It-Yourself Hedge Funds, by Wayne P. Weddington III
3. The Rational Optimist, by Matt Ridley
4. The Investor’s Manifesto, by William J. Bernstein
5. The Affluent Investor, by Phil DeMuth, Ph.D.
6. An Embarrassment of Riches, by Alexander Green
7. Wealth Secrets of the Affluent: Keys to Fortune Building and Asset Protection, by Christopher Jarvis and David Mandell
8. Basic Elements of Landscape Architectural Design, by Norman K. Booth (read it cover to cover while preparing for a test, that counts right?!)
9. In The Company of Stone: The Art of the Stone Wall, by Dan Snow
10. The Art and Craft of Stonework, by David Reed
11. The Complete Tightwad Gazette, by Amy Dacyczyn

Working on Awaken the Giant Within, by Tony Robbins. Will check in when that's done. Also queued up - A Game of Thrones (George R.R. Martin), Zero to One (Peter Thiel), and a few others I have checked out of the library at the moment.

Happy page turning, all!

12. Awaken the Giant Within, by Tony Robbins
13. Zero to One, by Peter Thiel
14. A Game of Thrones, by George R. R. Martin (now I see what all the hype was about!)

Working on getting through some miscellaneous nonfiction I have out from the library before the rest of the GoT series draws me in.

15. Invention By Design: How Engineers Get From Thought to Thing, by Henry Petroski
16. Why Things Break: Understanding the World by the Way it Comes Apart, by Mark Eberhart

Enjoyed both of these books, Eberhart's writing was more fluid and engaging despite the sometimes esoteric content. Up next: continuing the Game of Thrones series, then probably a whole bunch of nonfiction from the library.

17. The Four Hour Workweek, by Tim Ferriss
18. The Atlas of Remote Islands, by Judith Schalansky
19. In Defense of Food, by Michael Pollan

20. Science in the Pleasure Ground: A History of the Arnold Arboretum, by Ida Hay

Next up, I have Four Hour Body (Tim Ferriss) and a book on Eco-Houses, which I am very much looking forward to.

21. The Four-Hour Body, by Tim Ferriss

Tools of Titans is next up.

Next time I sign up to read at least 50 books in a year, don't let me pick all 400+ page ones ;-)

22. Tools of Titans, by Tim Ferriss

23. 150 Eco House Ideas, by Marta Serrats

Not sure what #24 will be yet, I think I may get back into the GoT series, that was good readin'.

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #577 on: August 27, 2017, 02:39:26 AM »
21. Swallow Summer by Larissa Boehning (19/8/17)
22. The Wanderers by Meg Howrey (26/8/17) Three astronauts embark on a mock trip to Mars for 17 months or something in preparation for a real trip to Mars. Follows their experience in close confines with all the stresses and strains but also their family members on the outside. Enjoyed this.

Raenia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #578 on: August 27, 2017, 09:54:31 AM »
1. No One Can Pronounce My Name - Rakesh Stayal
2. Scarcity: Why Having Too Little Means So Much - Sendhil Mullainatan and Eldar Shafir
3. The Circle - Dave Eggers
4. Marley & Me - John Grogan
5. Arcanum Unbounded: The Cosmere Collection - Brandon Sanderson
6. Nonviolent Communication: A Language of Life - Marshall Rosenburg
7. The Association of Small Bombs - Karan Mahajan
8. The Millionaire Next Door - Thomas J. Stanley and William D. Danko
9. The North Water - Ian McGuire
10. Smarter Faster Better - Charles Duhigg
11. The Return: Fathers, Sons, and the Land in Between - Hisham Matar
12. The Vegetarian - Han Kang
13. A Random Walk Down Wall Street - Burton G. Malkiel
14. Alcatraz versus the Evil Librarians - Brandon Sanderson
15. Alcatraz versus the Scrivener's Bones - Brandon Sanderson
16. The Underground Railroad - Colson Whitehead
17. Alcatraz versus the Knights of Crystallia - Brandon Sanderson
18. Alcatraz versus the Shattered Lens - Brandon Sanderson
19. Bring Up the Bodies - Hilary Mantel
20. Closer to Home - Mercedes Lackey
21. Theory and Practice of Good Cooking - James Beard
22. Joust - Mercedes Lackey
23. Alta - Mercedes Lackey
24. Sanctuary - Mercedes Lackey
25. Aerie - Mercedes Lackey
26. The Gunslinger - Stephen King
27. Your Money or Your Life - Vicki Robin and Joe Dominguez
28. Wonderbook: The Illustrated Guide to Creating Imaginative Fiction - Jeff Vandermeer
29. A Guide to the Good Life: The Ancient Art of Stoic Joy - William B. Irving
30. The Power of Habit: Why We Do What We Do in Life and Business - Charles Duhigg
31. Alcatraz versus the Evil Librarians: The Dark Talent - Brandon Sanderson
32. The Drawing of the Three - Stephen King
33. Earthfall - Orson Scott Card
34. The Night Bird - Catherine Asaro

35. Range of Ghosts - Elizabeth Bear
36. Childhood's End - Arthur C. Clark
37. Necessary Endings - Henry Cloud
38. Earthborn - Orson Scott Card
39. The Waste Lands - Stephen King

tnrunner

• Bristles
« Reply #579 on: August 28, 2017, 07:40:44 PM »
1. Fasting by Jentezen Franklin
2. The Dark Tower VII: The Dark Tower by Stephen King
3. The Eleventh Commandment by Jeffrey Archer
4. From Russia with Love by Ian Fleming
5. The Whistler by John Grisham
6. A measure of endurance: the unlikely Triumph of Steven Sharp by William Mishler
7. Unlucky 13 by James Patterson & Maxine Paetero
8. The couple next door by Sheri Lapena
9. The Gift by Louise Jensen
10. The Brethren by John Grisham
11. Bullseye by James Patterson & Michael Ledwidge
12. Vanished by Joseph Finder
13. The Girls He Adored by Jonathan Nasaw
14. Hidden by Kendra Elliott
15. The Charm School by Nelson Demille
16. Home by Harlan Coben
17. Stay Close by Harlan Coben
18. Eleventh Hour by Catherine Coulter
19. Insidious by Catherine Coulter
20. Alone by Lisa Gardner
21. The Kind Worth Killing by Peter Swanson
22. The Good Girl by Mary Kubica
23. My Sister's Grave by Robert Dugoni
24. Open Season by Linda Howard
25. The Magnolia Story by Chip & Joanna Gaines
26. The Silence of the Lambs by Thomas Harris
27. The Majority Rules By Eugene Sullivan
28. Goldfinger by Ian Flemming
29. The Andromeda Strain by Michael Crichton
30. Sphere by Michael Crichton
31. The Moscow Vector by Patrick Larkin (series created by Robert Ludlum)
32. The Missing by Chris Mooney
33. Same Sweet Girls by Cassandra King
34. The appeal by John Grisham
35. The Secret Friend by Chris Mooney

36. The Dead Room by Chris Mooney

SAfAmBrit

• Stubble
« Reply #580 on: August 28, 2017, 10:43:32 PM »
4) Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets - JK Rowling (Bracken_Joys fault! - 1 mention of Harry and I am doomed - what do you mean did I cook - no I was Reading Harry Potter!!!)
13) HRH - Danielle Steel
17) Holes - Louis Sachar
19) Caper - Parnell Hall
24) Ready, set, green - 8 weeks to modern eco living - Graham Hill/Meagan O'Neill
28) Zero Waste Home - Bea Johnson

ringer707

• Bristles
« Reply #581 on: August 30, 2017, 06:23:20 AM »
58. Messenger by Lois Lowry (The Giver #3)
59. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by JK Rowling
60. Son by Lois Lowry (The Giver #4) (really great series)
61. The Magician's Nephew by C.S. Lewis

FireHiker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #582 on: August 30, 2017, 11:55:01 AM »
29.   Lord John and the Hellfire Club by Diana Gabaldon
30.   The Scottish Prisoner by Diana Gabaldon
31.   The Custom of the Army by Diana Gabaldon
32.   A Plague of Zombies by Diana Gabaldon
33.   Virgins by Diana Gabaldon
34.   An Echo in the Bone by Diana Gabaldon
35.   Written in my Own Hearts Blood by Diana Gabaldon
36.   Seven Stones to Stand or Fall by Diana Gabaldon
37. Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell
38. Birdsong by Sebastian Faulk
39. Madame Bovary by Gustave Flaubert
40. Alice's Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll
41. Through the Looking Glass by Lewis Carroll

42. Middlemarch by George Eliot

(edited because I found a discrepancy between here and Goodreads and realized I was missing a book here)
« Last Edit: August 31, 2017, 11:52:39 AM by FireHiker »

Tick-Tock

• Stubble
« Reply #583 on: August 30, 2017, 07:38:12 PM »
61.  Found:  Short Stories by Rocky Mountain Fiction Writers
62.  Amy Newmark, Simply Happy
63.  Stephanie Laurens, Lord of the Privateers
64.  Helene Hanff, Q's Legacy
65.  Caroline Moorehead, Dancing to the Precipice:  The Life of Lucie De La Tour Du Pin, Eyewitness to an Era
66.  Molly Guptill Manning, When Books Went to War

tnrunner

• Bristles
« Reply #584 on: August 31, 2017, 06:04:40 AM »
6. A measure of endurance: the unlikely Triumph of Steven Sharp by William Mishler
16. Home by Harlan Coben

37. The Soul Collectors by Chris Mooney

ringer707

• Bristles
« Reply #585 on: September 01, 2017, 06:30:39 AM »

(edited because I found a discrepancy between here and Goodreads and realized I was missing a book here)

How did you like Cloud Atlas? I loved the movie and have had the book sitting on my shelf for an embarrassingly long time...

Adventine

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #586 on: September 01, 2017, 07:41:30 AM »
New year, new challenge :) Come and join us!

1. Hollow City by Ransom Riggs
2. Little Lord Fauntleroy by Frances Hodgson Burnett

3. Mindset: the New Psychology of Success (10%) by Carol S. Dweck
4. How I Found Freedom in an Unfree World   by Harry Browne (yes, I reread it!)
5. Lady in the Water: A Bedtime Story   by M. Night Shyamalan
6. The View from Saturday   by E.L. Konigsburg
7. White Mughals: Love and Betrayal in Eighteenth-Century India by William Dalrymple

8.   It's Not How Good You Are, It's How Good You Want to Be by Paul Arden
9.   Mandarin Chinese: The Rough Guide (Dictionary Phrasebook) edited by Lexus
10.   Places I Never Meant to Be (short stories) (50%) Edited by Judy Blume
11.   Millionaire Teacher: The Nine Rules of Wealth You Should Have Learned in School by Andrew Hallam
12.   The Island of Doctor Moreau (10%) by H.G. Wells
13.   Captives of the Flame (10%) by Samuel R. Delany
14.   Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea (10%) by Jules Verne
15.   Where Should You Invest? Answering the Biggest Questions in Personal Finance by Marvin Germo
16.   The 5 Minute Investor (50%) by Michael Craig
17.   How Full is Your Bucket? Positive Strategies for Work and Life  by Tom Rath and Donald O. Clifton
18.   Memories of My Melancholy Whores by Gabriel Garcia Marquez
19.   Dewey: the Small by Town Library Cat Who Touched the World (ongoing) by Vicki Myron with Bret Witter

19-Dreamer of Dune: the Biography of Frank Herbert (10%)-Brian Herbert
20-Green Eggs and Ham-Dr. Seuss
21-A Series of Unfortunate Events Vol. 3: The Wide Window-Lemony Snicket
22-4,000 Questions for Getting to Know Anyone and Everyone (10%)-Barbara Ann Kipfer
23-Letters to a Young Contrarian-Christopher Hitchens
24-Shogun-James Clavell
25-The $100 Startup-Chris Guillebeau
26-The Gifts of Imperfection-Brené Brown
27-Hillbilly Elegy-J. D. Vance
28-What Should I Do With My Life?-Po Bronson
29-I Want That! How We All Became Shoppers (15%)-Thomas Hine
30-The Lexus and the Olive Tree (30%)-Thomas Friedman
31-When Breath Becomes Air-Paul Kalanithi
32-The Dilbert Future-Scott Adams
33-Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother (15%)-Amy Chua
34-The Sparrow-Mary Doria Russell
35-Proof of Heaven: A Neurosurgeon's Journey into the Afterlife-Eben Alexander
36-Daring Greatly-Brené Brown
37-Your Money or Your Life-Joe Dominguez, Vicki Robin and Monique Tilford
38-Fault Lines: How Hidden Fractures Still Threaten the World Economy -Raghuram G. Rajan
39-The Simple Path to Wealth-J. L. Collins
40-Seven Brief Lessons on Physics-Carlo Rovelli
41-The Strange Library-Haruki Murakami
42-Grit: The Power of Passion and Perserverance-Angela Duckworth
43-The Slow Regard of Silent Things-Patrick Rothfuss
44-Getting Things Done: the Art of Stress-Free Productivity (ongoing)-David Allen
45-Year One (ongoing)-Richard Reid

46.   My Brilliant Friend
47.   Learned Optimism
48.   Sabine's Notebook
49.   Naked Economics: Undressing the Dismal Science
50.   The Unbanking of America: How the New Middle Class Survives
51.   How to Stop Worrying and Start Living
52.   Originals: How Non-Conformists Move the World
53.   The Index Card: Why Personal Finance Doesn't Have to Be Complicated
54.   In Other Words
55.   The Subtle Art of Not Giving a Fuck
56.   Spark Joy
57.   The Rules Do Not Apply
58.   The Millionaire Next Door
59.   1688: A Global History
60.   Like Water for Chocolate
61.   Coraline
62.   14 Years of Service in a Fabric-Covered Box
63.   Bukidnon: the Philippine Frontier
64.   What Color is Your Parachute? For Teens
65.   The New Retirementality
66.   How to Fail at Almost Everything and Still Win Big
67.   How to Retire with Enough Money (and How to Know What Enough Is)
68.   World Order
69.   Men Without Women (short stories)
70.   Norse Mythology
71.   Thank You for Being Late: An Optimist's Guide to Thriving in the Age of Acceleration
72.   Europe's Last Summer: Who Started the Great War in 1914?
73.   The Golden Mean
74.   The Gryphon
75.   Alexandria
76.   The Morning Star
77.   The Pharos Gate
78.   The Happiness Equation
79.   The World of Edena
80.   Essentialism: The Disciplined Pursuit of Less
81.   The New Coffeehouse Investor
82.   Heads I Win, Tails I Win
83.   Vintage Murakami
84.   Absolutely on Music: Conversations with Seiji Ozawa
85.   Freakonomics: A Rogue Economist Explains the Hidden Side of Everything
86.   The Millionaire Mind
87.   The Little Book of Common Sense Investing
88.   Boomerang: Travels in the New Third World
89.   Time Travel: A History
90.   The Power of No
91.   Born for This
92.   The New New Thing
93.   The Famished Road
94.   Alexander Hamilton
95.   Enough: True Measures of Money, Business and Life
96.   The Happiness Advantage
97.   On Writing
98.   Designing Your Life: How to Build a Well-Lived, Joyful Life
99.   Tiny Beautiful Things
100.   Payoff: the Hidden Logic that Shapes Our Motivations
101.   A Monster Calls
102.   You Can Buy Happiness (and It’s Cheap)
103.   Goodbye, Things: The New Japanese Minimalism
104.   I Work at a Public Library
105.   The Casual Vacancy
106.   The Sleeper and the Spindle
107.   40 Chances: Finding Hope in a Hungry World
108.   Gold (short stories)
109.   Narcissus and Goldmund
110.   Koreatown: A Cookbook
111.   Budget Bytes
112.   The Wealthy Renter: How to Choose Housing That Will Make You Rich
113.   So Good They Can't Ignore You
114.   Trigger Warning: Short Fictions and Disturbances
115.   What If?: Serious Scientific Answers to Absurd Hypothetical Questions
116.   Liar's Poker
117.   The Bogleheads' Guide to Investing (Second Edition)
118.   Big Magic: Creative Living Beyond Fear
119.   The World Is Flat 3.0: A Brief History of the Twenty-First Century
120.   At the Existentialist Café: Freedom, Being and Apricot Cocktails
121.   Beren and Luthien
122.   Unnatural Creatures (short stories)
123.   The Clothing of Books
124.   The Ministry of Utmost Happiness (ongoing)
125.   The Real Price of Everything (ongoing)
126.   What Color is Your Parachute? 2016 Edition (ongoing)

I haven't finished all of them (I'll save the final percentages for December) but I certainly have completed at least 50 books, according to my geeky little personal spreadsheet :)

FireHiker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #587 on: September 01, 2017, 12:32:15 PM »
How did you like Cloud Atlas? I loved the movie and have had the book sitting on my shelf for an embarrassingly long time...

The writing was pretty good, but it was hard to follow because of the abrupt shifts between the stories. From what I've read, it is quite a bit different from the movie. The middle part set furthest in the future (before the stories go back to the other viewpoints) was REALLY hard to read because of the dialogue using strange words. Overall I thought it was pretty clever and I'm glad I read it, but it had its challenging moments.

And for my most recent update:

43. Bridget Jones' Diary by Helen Fielding (it was okay; don't quite get all the hype, probably won't read the others)

SAfAmBrit

• Stubble
« Reply #588 on: September 01, 2017, 11:39:35 PM »
13) HRH - Danielle Steel
17) Holes - Louis Sachar
19) Caper - Parnell Hall
29) all you need is less - Madeleine Somerville

FireHiker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #589 on: September 05, 2017, 02:30:15 PM »
43. Bridget Jones' Diary by Helen Fielding (it was okay; don't quite get all the hype, probably won't read the others)

44. Life As We Knew It by Susan Beth Pfeffer
45. The Dead and the Gone by Susan Beth Pfeffer
46. This World We Live In by Susan Beth Pfeffer
47. The Shade of the Moon by Susan Beth Pfeffer (Series is alright; quick read)

« Last Edit: September 07, 2017, 09:21:59 AM by FireHiker »

FireHiker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #590 on: September 08, 2017, 01:55:32 PM »
For my fellow lovers of book lists..... This is a good one!

http://www.listchallenges.com/300-books-everyone-should-read-at-least-once

I'm at 89 on this list, currently reading what will be #90. I have probably 150 more books from this list on my "to read" list. It is a good list!

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #591 on: September 09, 2017, 07:07:29 PM »
1. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone- 1/5/17
2. Essentialism- 50%
3. Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets- 1/9/17
4. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban- 1/16/17
5. Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire -2/6/17
6. Harry Potter and the Cursed Child- 2/8/17
7. Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix- 2/24/17
8. Geography of Bliss- 3/8/17
9. The Girl on the Train- 3/15/17
10. Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince- 3/26/17
11. The Art of Happiness- 59%
12. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows- 4/24/17
13. Yes Please- Amy Poehler - 5/8/17
14. A Spool of Blue Thread- 5/16/17
15. Present over perfect - gave up 5/28/17 about 50% of the way through, it turned SUPER religious
16. SPIN Selling- 6/1/17
17. Million Dollar Launch by Alan Weiss- 6/10/17
18. Off the Page- Jodi Picoult- 6/21/17
19. Interpreter of Maladies - 50% (due at library, wasn't eligible for renewal. Good book though)
20. The Gifts of Vulnerability- 7/10/17
21. It Starts with the Egg- 7/19/17
22. The Golden Compass- 7/30/17
23. The Subtle Knife- 8/4/17
25. The Amber Spyglass- 30% (reading through with DH aloud, slow going)
26. The Egg & I- 8/20/17
27. The Lies of Locke Lamora- 9/7/17

28. Red Seas Under Red Skies- 5%

ringer707

• Bristles
« Reply #592 on: September 10, 2017, 05:56:14 PM »
62. A Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare (The Infernal Devices #1)

Thanks for that great 300 book list! Glad you shared that one. I've sadly only read 72 on the list, but a number of book where on my list for next year.

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #593 on: September 10, 2017, 07:36:02 PM »
21. Swallow Summer by Larissa Boehning (19/8/17)
22. The Wanderers by Meg Howrey (26/8/17)

23. The Mill on the Floss by George Eliot (11/9/17) Don't pick a 544 pager in 19th century English when you're doing a challenge! I enjoyed it for the well drawn characters, shit ending tho.

tnrunner

• Bristles
« Reply #594 on: September 11, 2017, 12:14:04 PM »
16. Home by Harlan Coben
37. The Soul Collectors by Chris Mooney

38. Fear the Dark by Chris Mooney

SAfAmBrit

• Stubble
« Reply #595 on: September 11, 2017, 07:10:41 PM »
13) HRH - Danielle Steel
17) Holes - Louis Sachar
19) Caper - Parnell Hall
29) all you need is less - Madeleine Somerville
30) Lucky You - Erika Carter
31) Plastic Free - Beth Terry

FireHiker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #596 on: September 12, 2017, 10:07:49 AM »
Don't pick a 544 pager in 19th century English when you're doing a challenge! I enjoyed it for the well drawn characters, shit ending tho.

Isn't that the truth...I have read Middlemarch, Madame Bovary, and The Woman in White this year. Not the quickest reads for the challenge! I have The Mill on the Floss on my "to read" list also.

44. Life As We Knew It by Susan Beth Pfeffer
45. The Dead and the Gone by Susan Beth Pfeffer
46. This World We Live In by Susan Beth Pfeffer
47. The Shade of the Moon by Susan Beth Pfeffer (Series is alright; quick read)

48. The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #597 on: September 12, 2017, 12:43:01 PM »
The Box by Marc Levinson- Finished 1/15/17
The theft of swords
Outliers by Malcom gladwell-01/25/17
Elantris by  Brandon Sanderson - 1/25/17
Wild by Cheryl strayed- 01/27/17
Means of Ascent by Robert Caro- Finished 02/08/17
Merchants of Doubt by Naomi oreskes- 2/10/17
Everybody Behaves Badly- 2/12/17
A memory of light by Robert Jordan 2/16/17
Linchpin by Seth Godin -  finished 2/16/17
No lands man-2/17/17
Write to Die by Charles Rosenberg- 2/19/17
Night Bird by Freeman- 2/23/17
The Diving Bell and the Butterfly by Bauby- Finished 2/25/17
Gunmetal gray by Mark grealey- 2/27/17
Tribes by Seth Godin-3/1/17
The Short Drop by Matthew FitzSimmons- 3/7/17
When the borough breaks- 03/15/17
Declutter your mind- 03/16/17
Stroke of Insight by Dr. Jill Bolte Taylor- 3/18/17
Superforecasters 3/21/17
The tipping point by Malcom gladwell 3/22/17
The Dictator's Handbook by Bruce Bueno de Mesquita- 3/29/17
How make a good brain great-4/8/17
Traitor Baru Cormorant - 4/10/17
The ultramind solution by Dr Mark hyman- 4/13/17
The wright Brothers by David McCullough - 04/17/17
Happy city by Charles Montgomery - 04/18/17
Nudges by Richard thaler 04/18/17
Mindset by Carol S. Dweck, PHD- 04/20/17
Night school by Lee Child 04/20/17
New confessions of an economic hit man by John Perkins 04/23/17
An accidental death 04/25/17
Playing for pizza by John Grisham 04/26/17
Queens poisoner 04/28/17
A Criminal Defense by William Myers Jr- 05/01/17
Drive by Pink- 05/10/17
When Breath Becomes Air- 5/14/17
Crucial Conversations 05/15/17
Dune by Frank Herbert 05/15/17
Quiet by Susan Cain- Finished 05/17/17
Payoff by Dan Arriely- 05/21/17
In Farleigh Field- 05/22/17
David and Goliath by Malcolm Gladwell- 05/22/17
Morning Star by Pierce Brown- 05/23/17
The vegetarian by han Kang 06/04/17
Closed and common orbit 06/08/17
Eveyln Marsh by Clemens- 06/12/17
A more beautiful question by Warren berger 06/16/17
Carrie by Stephen King- 06/22/17
Untethered soul
No Middle Name by Lee Child 07/01/17
Shining city 07/02/17
Blood test by Kellerman 07/04/17
Sunset Express by Robert Crais 07/05/17
Camino Island by John Grisham- 07/14/17
Ambassador’s Wife by Jake Needham- 07/15/17
Nasty Bits by Anthony Bourdain- 07/18/17
Bossypants by Tina Fey- 07/20/17
Champion’s Mind by Jim Afremow- 07/23/17
The life you can save by Peter singer- 07/24/17
Escape velocity by Susan Wolfe- 07/25/17
The professionals
Over the edge Kellerman
Ghostland
Inferno 08/07/17
The Martian 08/09/17
Silent partner 08/12/17
Last night at the lobster 08/13/17
Tribe
Road to Sparta
Lamb by Christopher Moore
Neon Lawyer
Grit
What the Dog Saw
The Last Detective by Robert Crais- 09/01/17
Waiter to the Rich and Shameless- 09/02/17
In the blood by Lisa Unger 09/05/17
Time Bomb by Kellerman 09/08/17
80. Struck by Lightning- 09/11/17

New goal is 100 books for the year

kpd905

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #598 on: September 12, 2017, 06:58:48 PM »
1. A Blistered Kind of Love by Angela and Duffy Ballard (1/11)
2. Hillbilly Elegy by J.D. Vance (1/19)
3. Flood by Stephen Baxter (1/23)
4. A Murder in Time by Julie McElwain (1/29)
5. Cyberstorm by Matthew Mather (2/1)
6. Doing Good Better by Will MacAskill (2/9)
7. Ark by Stephen Baxter (2/15)
8. This Perfect Day by Ira Levin (2/15)
9. On the Beach by Nevil Shute (2/25)
10. The Circle by Dave Eggers (3/6)
11. How to Get Filthy Rich in Rising Asia by Mohsin Hamid (3/9)
12. Sapiens by Yuval Noah Harari (3/10)
13. The Golden Compass by Phillip Pullman (3/20)
14. The Subtle Knife by Phillip Pullman (3/29)
15. Proxima by Stephen Baxter (4/1)
16. The Amber Spyglass by Phillip Pullman (4/8)
17. Ultima by Stephen Baxter (5/2)
18. Underground Airlines by Ben Winters (5/7)
19. On Trails by Robert Moor (5/15)
20. New York 2140 by Kim Stanley Robinson (5/19)
21. 1Q84 by Haruki Murakami (5/28)
22. Brilliance by Marcus Sakey (5/29)
23. Dark Matter by Blake Crouch (6/4)
24. A Better World by Marcus Sakey (6/10)
25. Written in Fire by Marcus Sakey (6/17)
26. Thousand Miler by Melanie McManus (6/25)
27. Kindred by Octavia Butler (6/30)
28. So Good They Can't Ignore You by Cal Newport (7/20)
29.  The Talisman by Stephen King (7/29)
30. Indian Creek Chronicles by Pete Fromm (8/1)
31. Slipstream Time Hacking by Benjamin Hardy (8/3)
32. Waking Giants by Sylvain Neuvel (8/4)
33. Fortune's Rising by Sara King (8/18)
34. The Last Policeman by Ben Winters (9/11)
35. Parable of the Sower by Octavia Butler (9/11)

ringer707

• Bristles
« Reply #599 on: September 13, 2017, 05:30:14 PM »
62. A Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare (The Infernal Devices #1)
63. City of Fallen Angels by Cassandra Clare (The Mortal Instruments #4)

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!