Author Topic: 50 Books in 2017!  (Read 131209 times)

kaleidoscopicalkris

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: 50 Books in 2017!
« Reply #50 on: January 10, 2017, 07:07:05 AM »
1. Thinking in Pictures by Temple Grandin (done!)
2. Ahsoka by E. K. Johnson (still at 37%)
3. Temple Grandin (9%)

tortoiseshell

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #51 on: January 10, 2017, 05:02:58 PM »
I'm in! I'll list books as I finish:

1. Americanah by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie (1/7/17)

This has been on my list since two years, how did you find it?

I really liked it! I've been recommending it to friends non-stop since I've finished.

Adventine

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #52 on: January 10, 2017, 10:31:38 PM »
New year, new challenge :) Come and join us!

1. Hollow City by Ransom Riggs
2. Little Lord Fauntleroy by Frances Hodgson Burnett

3. Mindset: the New Psychology of Success (10%) by Carol S. Dweck
4. How I Found Freedom in an Unfree World   by Harry Browne (yes, I reread it!)
5. Lady in the Water: A Bedtime Story   by M. Night Shyamalan
6. The View from Saturday   by E.L. Konigsburg
7. White Mughals: Love and Betrayal in Eighteenth-Century India (ongoing) by William Dalrymple

SquashingDebt

• Bristles
« Reply #53 on: January 11, 2017, 05:28:30 AM »

7. White Mughals: Love and Betrayal in Eighteenth-Century India (ongoing) by William Dalrymple

The View From Saturday is one of my all-time favorites!  Did you like it?

kpd905

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #54 on: January 11, 2017, 06:07:37 AM »
1. A Blistered Kind of Love by Angela and Duffy Ballard (1/11)

Adventine

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #55 on: January 11, 2017, 07:57:41 AM »

The View From Saturday is one of my all-time favorites!  Did you like it?

Yes! I first read it in the fifth grade, about 17 years ago. I stumbled across it again in the library today. I decided to reread it and see if my good memories of the book stood up to the test of time.

Well, I finished it in about two hours. I like it even better now, because Adult Me finally understood all of the subtlety that escaped me when I was a kid.

kaleidoscopicalkris

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #56 on: January 11, 2017, 08:12:09 AM »
1. Thinking in Pictures by Temple Grandin (done!)
2. Ahsoka by E. K. Johnson (still at 37%)
3. Temple Grandin by Annette Wood (up to 28%)

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #57 on: January 11, 2017, 08:13:30 AM »
1. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone- 1/5/17
2. Essentialism- 35%
3. Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets- 1/9/17

4. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban- 1%

Libertea

• Bristles
Re: 100 Books in 2017!
« Reply #58 on: January 11, 2017, 10:21:24 AM »
I'm doubling the goal.  Posting books I have finished as I finish them along with a brief review/blurb.

1) 17/01/01 - Assholes: A Theory (Aaron James): philosophical treatise about what it means for someone to be an asshole and how we can deal with them
2) 17/01/01 - Assholes: A Theory of Donald Trump (same author): sequel to the prior book, subject obvious
3) 17/01/02 - The Alchemist (Paulo Coelho): I may be the only person on this forum who didn't like this book, but it's supposed to be an allegory about following your dreams.  I appreciate that aspect of it, but I find the whole New Age mumbo jumbo to be a bit over the top.
4) 17/01/04 - Spaceman (Mike Massimino): Hubble telescope spacewalking astronaut's memoirs
5) 17/01/06 - Luna: New Moon (Ian McDonald): sci-fi dystopia played out on the moon in a feudal society (complete with warring great families); ends with a cliffhanger and sequel due out in March
6) 17/01/07 - The Art of Sleeping Alone (Sophie Fontanel): French writer's memoir about the years when she gave up relationships/sex.  Not as enlightening (or even as scandalous) as I would have hoped, but occasionally surprisingly humorous.
7) 17/01/07 - On Bullshit (Harry Frankfurt): philosophical treatise on bullshit, the inspiration for James's treatises on assholes (cited above).  At 67 pages, really more of an essay than a book, but published in book form.
8) 17/01/08 - A Deeper Love Inside (Sister Souljah): sequel to The Coldest Winter Ever, Souljah's novel about ghetto life in NYC.  Silly, unrealistic ending, but Winter's younger sister Porsche is a much more interesting and sympathetic main character than Winter.
9) 17/01/08 - Good Morning, Midnight (Lily Brooks-Dalton): if you're a sci fi fan, all I can say is, wow.  You should read this book.  Loneliness and the myriad connections between an astronomer and an astronaut who unexpectedly and inexplicably find themselves to be two of the last people on or off the earth.
10) 17/01/10 - Dragons of Summer Flame (Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman): last of the Dragonlance series that follows the fates of both the original generation and the second generation (should be read after the original Dragonlance series and after The Second Generation, since it builds on all of those stories).

GeekyGirl

• Stubble
« Reply #59 on: January 12, 2017, 04:58:22 AM »
I'm in! I'll list books as I finish:

This has been on my list since two years, how did you find it?

I really liked it! I've been recommending it to friends non-stop since I've finished.

Great I'll order it next month and hopefully it'll be part of this year reading list. I read 'Half of a Yellow Sun' from her and loved it.

GeekyGirl

• Stubble
« Reply #60 on: January 12, 2017, 06:00:43 AM »
FR
  • Une certaine justice par P. D. James

ENG
  • Original Sin by P. D. James

ringer707

• Bristles
« Reply #61 on: January 12, 2017, 06:11:10 AM »
1. Rose: My Life in Service to Lady Astor by Rosina Harrison
2. The Maze Runner by James Dashner
3. Number the Stars by Lois Lowry

Currently reading The Scorch Trials by James Dashner

By the way, for any of you who have Amazon Prime, they just added a lot of new books to the Prime Reading list. I downloaded about 7 for free the other day :)

Adventine

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #62 on: January 12, 2017, 06:13:15 AM »
By the way, for any of you who have Amazon Prime, they just added a lot of new books to the Prime Reading list. I downloaded about 7 for free the other day :)

Ooof! Too bad Amazon Prime isn't available in my part of the world. Otherwise I would be so into that :)

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #63 on: January 12, 2017, 06:51:59 AM »
1. Until the End book 1- The Party (Christopher Pike)
2. Until the End book 2- The Dance (Christopher Pike)
3. Until the End book 3- The Graduation (Christopher Pike)

SAfAmBrit

• Stubble
« Reply #64 on: January 12, 2017, 08:36:20 AM »
I would like to join. I used to read all the time but my husband loves TV so I sit and stare at it with him. Just been to Australia which = a long flight

1)No Place to hide - Susan Lewis
2) And the mountains echoed - Khaled Hosseini
3) Harry Potter and the Philosophers Stone - JK Rowling (Bracken_Joys fault!)
4) Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets - JK Rowling (Bracken_Joys fault! - 1 mention of Harry and I am doomed - what do you mean did I cook - no I was Reading Harry Potter!!!)
5) Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban - JK Rowling

StarBright

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #65 on: January 12, 2017, 08:41:31 AM »

God I used to love Christopher Pike books. I bought every single neon colored copy as they came out every six months! I also think "until the end" used to be called "The Final Friends Trilogy." If you are going on a Pike binge I totally recommend "Remember Me" (but not its sequels) and "Whisper of Death."

StarBright

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #66 on: January 12, 2017, 08:45:25 AM »
I'm in again this year. I'll do the popsugar book challenge as my reading list because it really helped me get out of a genre rut last year.

http://www.popsugar.com/love/Reading-Challenge-2017-42561300

• 1. A book about an interesting woman: The Heretic's Daughter by Kathleen Kent. Fiction about Martha and Sarah Carrier from the Salem Witch Trials.

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #67 on: January 12, 2017, 01:40:55 PM »

God I used to love Christopher Pike books. I bought every single neon colored copy as they came out every six months! I also think "until the end" used to be called "The Final Friends Trilogy." If you are going on a Pike binge I totally recommend "Remember Me" (burt not its sequels) and "Whisper of Death."
Yes, I loved as a kid as well! Have been rereading some, as well as others I hadn't. Really enjoying doing this.
I read the 2 you mentioned- actually were my favorites! Have reread both many times.
Is there another author you find comparable?

StarBright

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #68 on: January 12, 2017, 06:46:54 PM »

God I used to love Christopher Pike books. I bought every single neon colored copy as they came out every six months! I also think "until the end" used to be called "The Final Friends Trilogy." If you are going on a Pike binge I totally recommend "Remember Me" (burt not its sequels) and "Whisper of Death."
Yes, I loved as a kid as well! Have been rereading some, as well as others I hadn't. Really enjoying doing this.
I read the 2 you mentioned- actually were my favorites! Have reread both many times.
Is there another author you find comparable?

Lois Duncan in general and "Down a Dark Hall" in particular.

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #69 on: January 13, 2017, 11:50:50 PM »
Thanks for the recommendation. I saw on her website that she passed away last summer. Apparently she received numerous awards for her literature and many of her books became children's classics- pretty cool. I have two more Christopher Pike's to get through first. Cheers.

Carolina on My Mind

• Stubble
« Reply #70 on: January 14, 2017, 03:51:34 PM »
Peter Carey is awesome.

Yes, he is -- I need to read more of his stuff.  I've only read True History of the Kelly Gang, which I loved.

tortoiseshell

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #71 on: January 14, 2017, 05:42:30 PM »
2. The Great Divide: Nature and Human Nature in the Old World and the New by Peter Watson (started in 2016, finished 1/14/17)

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
  • Insert dough/bread/crust joke
« Reply #72 on: January 14, 2017, 07:06:19 PM »
Peter Carey is awesome.

Yes, he is -- I need to read more of his stuff.  I've only read True History of the Kelly Gang, which I loved.

I recommend Oscar & Lucinda. It's set in the late 19th century *I think*. Chemistry of Tears is set in modern day but has an historical fiction element.

Libertea

• Bristles
« Reply #73 on: January 15, 2017, 07:27:08 AM »
I'm doubling the goal.  Posting books I have finished as I finish them along with a brief review/blurb.

1) 17/01/01 - Assholes: A Theory (Aaron James): philosophical treatise about what it means for someone to be an asshole and how we can deal with them
2) 17/01/01 - Assholes: A Theory of Donald Trump (same author): sequel to the prior book, subject obvious
3) 17/01/02 - The Alchemist (Paulo Coelho): I may be the only person on this forum who didn't like this book, but it's supposed to be an allegory about following your dreams.  I appreciate that aspect of it, but I find the whole New Age mumbo jumbo to be a bit over the top.
4) 17/01/04 - Spaceman (Mike Massimino): Hubble telescope spacewalking astronaut's memoirs
5) 17/01/06 - Luna: New Moon (Ian McDonald): sci-fi dystopia played out on the moon in a feudal society (complete with warring great families); ends with a cliffhanger and sequel due out in March
6) 17/01/07 - The Art of Sleeping Alone (Sophie Fontanel): French writer's memoir about the years when she gave up relationships/sex.  Not as enlightening (or even as scandalous) as I would have hoped, but occasionally surprisingly humorous.
7) 17/01/07 - On Bullshit (Harry Frankfurt): philosophical treatise on bullshit, the inspiration for James's treatises on assholes (cited above).  At 67 pages, really more of an essay than a book, but published in book form.
8) 17/01/08 - A Deeper Love Inside (Sister Souljah): sequel to The Coldest Winter Ever, Souljah's novel about ghetto life in NYC.  Silly, unrealistic ending, but Winter's younger sister Porsche is a much more interesting and sympathetic main character than Winter.
9) 17/01/08 - Good Morning, Midnight (Lily Brooks-Dalton): if you're a sci fi fan, all I can say is, wow.  You should read this book.  Loneliness and the myriad connections between an astronomer and an astronaut who unexpectedly and inexplicably find themselves to be two of the last people on or off the earth.
10) 17/01/10 - Dragons of Summer Flame (Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman): last of the Dragonlance series that follows the fates of both the original generation and the second generation (should be read after the original Dragonlance series and after The Second Generation, since it builds on all of those stories).
11) 17/01/15 - Join (Steve Toutonghi): strange, disturbing sci fi novel raising questions about the nature of what it means to be human and mortal in an era where technology makes it possible to combine one's psyche with those of others into a group psyche

Carolina on My Mind

• Stubble
« Reply #74 on: January 15, 2017, 08:07:40 AM »
I'm in again!  I lost track of what I read in the second half of 2016, so I resolve to be better about keeping track in the new year.  I also resolve to attack some of the unread books on my bookshelves this year.

I generally post updates ten books at a time, but to start off the year I (somewhat atypically) have three books going at once:

1.  Flashman and the Angel of the Lord – George MacDonald Fraser (Anyone familar with the Flashman series?  I'd never heard of it until a friend lent this book to me.  Irreverent historical fiction, really good.)
2.  Travelling to Work: Diaries 1988-98 – Michael Palin
3.  Holidays on Ice – David Sedaris

Lastly, a recommendation.  If anyone's interested in a great nonfiction read, check out The Boys in the Boat by Daniel James Brown.  One of my favorite books from last year, it's the story of the eight-man crew team that won gold for the United States at the Berlin Olympics in 1936. 

Carolina on My Mind

• Stubble
« Reply #75 on: January 15, 2017, 08:10:45 AM »
Peter Carey is awesome.

I recommend Oscar & Lucinda. It's set in the late 19th century *I think*. Chemistry of Tears is set in modern day but has an historical fiction element.

Thanks for the rec -- I'm putting it on my list.

tnrunner

• Bristles
« Reply #76 on: January 15, 2017, 12:16:17 PM »
Count me in for another round! I fell quite short of the 50 book goal last year but that won't stop me from trying again.

1. Fasting by Jentezen Franklin
2. The Dark Tower VII: The Dark Tower by Stephen King

Carolina on My Mind

• Stubble
« Reply #77 on: January 15, 2017, 05:08:43 PM »

3.  Holidays on Ice – David Sedaris

Oh man, "The SantaLand Diaries" story from this collection is pure gold! It kills me. :D

Have you read any of his other autobiographical essays? I have laughed so hard that I cried over many of them!

Yes, I've read a bunch of his stuff.  He's a national treasure.  :)

SAfAmBrit

• Stubble
« Reply #78 on: January 16, 2017, 12:15:06 AM »
I would like to join. I used to read all the time but my husband loves TV so I sit and stare at it with him. Just been to Australia which = a long flight

1)No Place to hide - Susan Lewis
2) And the mountains echoed - Khaled Hosseini
3) Harry Potter and the Philosophers Stone - JK Rowling (Bracken_Joys fault!)
4) Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets - JK Rowling (Bracken_Joys fault! - 1 mention of Harry and I am doomed - what do you mean did I cook - no I was Reading Harry Potter!!!)
5) Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban - JK Rowling
6) Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire - JK Rowling

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #79 on: January 16, 2017, 04:35:45 AM »
1. Wolf Hall by Hillary Mantel (excellent)
2. The Other Boleyn Girl by Phillipa Gregory

GeekyGirl

• Stubble
« Reply #80 on: January 16, 2017, 09:55:25 AM »
ENG
  • The Murder Room by P. D. James
FR
  • Une vie si convenable par Ruth Rendell

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #81 on: January 17, 2017, 10:17:22 AM »
1. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone- 1/5/17
2. Essentialism- 35%
3. Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets- 1/9/17
4. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban- 1/16/17

5. Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire -1%

ringer707

• Bristles
« Reply #82 on: January 17, 2017, 11:09:38 AM »
1. Rose: My Life in Service to Lady Astor by Rosina Harrison
2. The Maze Runner by James Dashner
3. Number the Stars by Lois Lowry
4. The Scorch Trials by James Dashner
5. The Death Cure by James Dashner

Currently reading The Kill Order by James Dashner. Really enjoyed this series, and a quick read. Not sure what I'll pick up next, maybe finish off the Sookie Stackhouse series.

Libertea

• Bristles
« Reply #83 on: January 17, 2017, 12:07:51 PM »

11) 17/01/15 - Join (Steve Toutonghi): strange, disturbing sci fi novel raising questions about the nature of what it means to be human and mortal in an era where technology makes it possible to combine one's psyche with those of others into a group psyche
12) 17/01/17 - Men We Reaped (Jesmyn Ward): memoir of a black woman growing up impoverished in rural Mississippi, focusing specifically on the many black men she knew (including her brother) who died young due to drugs or accidents.  It's hard for me to explain why, but I came away from this book feeling annoyed with the author (who also had a drug problem with alcohol), not sympathetic. 

Toffeemama

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #84 on: January 17, 2017, 12:30:05 PM »
Yikes, I'm starting way behind the curve. I've only finished 1 so far, read aloud to my kids: The Hostile Hospital by Lemony Snicket(#8 in A Series of Unfortunate Events)

Working on The Manchurian Candidate by Richard Condon... Not reading this one aloud, obviously.

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #85 on: January 17, 2017, 01:16:00 PM »
4. The Bookseller (Cynthia Swanson)
Pretty interesting. About two alternate lives of a woman in early 1960's.

Tick-Tock

• Stubble
« Reply #86 on: January 17, 2017, 10:22:41 PM »
3.  Laurell K. Hamilton, Crimson Death

Vertical Mode

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #87 on: January 18, 2017, 12:03:13 AM »
I'm in! Moving to within a stone's throw of our local public library in a couple of months, so hopefully I can stay on the wagon since I'll have no excuses!

No standard format it appears, so I guess I'll just post what I'm currently reading?

1. Building Construction Before Mechanization - John Fitchen

2. Do-It-Yourself Hedge Funds - Wayne P. Weddington III

As much as I am a huge proponent of index funds in general, I definitely enjoyed this book, both for the author's humor and his really fantastic overview of what hedge funds are and how they operate. He does say that index funds will outperform most active managers! The biggest insight here for me was how hedge funds position themselves to rake in money by riding waves and trends in both directions, shorting key players in a bear market instead of simply absorbing losses when things trend south. This helps to explain some of the ridiculous outside returns we hear about on the news. There is another key ingredient at play - OPM (Other People's Money) which allows them to leverage trades that sometimes earn more than enough to FIRE on singlehandedly. If only it were as easy as he makes it sound...

FernFree

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • On my way!
« Reply #88 on: January 18, 2017, 08:13:44 AM »
I'm in!  Just deleted Facebook and Flipboard from my phone to get my life back (~2 hrs/day, EVERYDAY!) and cancelled cable last year, so I should be on track to read a lot more this year.

So far this year:
1.  The Fiery Cross, Diana Gabaldon
2. The Handmaid's Tale, Margaret Atwood 52%

tnrunner

• Bristles
« Reply #89 on: January 18, 2017, 09:49:11 AM »
1. Fasting by Jentezen Franklin
2. The Dark Tower VII: The Dark Tower by Stephen King

3. The Eleventh Commandment by Jeffrey Archer

SingleMomDebt

« Reply #90 on: January 18, 2017, 09:52:31 AM »
I am on book #3: The Traveler's Wife.

#1 Christmas Joy by Nancy Naigle
#2 Starry Night by Debbie Macomber

cchrissyy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #91 on: January 18, 2017, 10:21:12 AM »
I'm in!

I discovered the inter-library loan system just a few months ago and finished 2016 strong, finally getting my hands on many books that had been waiting on my amazon wishlist for a long time.

My total last year was 30 books but Goodreads reveals that I read over 50 books in 2006, 2007 and 2008.  Those were tough years in my life and if I could do it then, I can absolutely do it again this year!

I have already finished 10 books this year : )

rachellynn99

• Stubble
« Reply #92 on: January 18, 2017, 02:09:24 PM »
I'm in too, I've been tracking on Goodreads.com but can track here also.
1. Trading Christmas- Debbie Macomber
2. The Forgetful Bride- Debbie Macomber
3. Snowflakes and Coffee Cakes- Joanne DeMaio
4. Calico Joe- John Grisham

I will start something new tonight. Not sure what yet. I have "The Whistler" by John Grisham on my hold list at my library, I'm like 34 in line. Also I can read cutsey Christmas fiction all year, and probably will. I work full time, am taking 8 hours of my PhD program and have 3 young kids. I don't read as much as I would like. But try to keep a book going for the evenings before bed or lazy weekends.

tortoiseshell

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #93 on: January 18, 2017, 05:46:37 PM »
2. The Great Divide: Nature and Human Nature in the Old World and the New by Peter Watson (started in 2016, finished 1/14/17)
3. Darkness at Noon by Arthur Koestler (1/18/17)

FireHiker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #94 on: January 19, 2017, 11:58:33 AM »
I'd like to join in! Last year was my first year with a kindle, and after discovering ebooks at the library, my reading really took off again. I managed 48 books last year, so I'd love to hit 50 this year. I'm working my way through the BBC top 100 books (got through 17 last year), along with a smattering of other stuff here and there. Here's my progress so far for the year:

1. The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins (terrible writing, ugh)
2. Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn
3. The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
4. Memoirs of a Geisha by Arther Golden

kpd905

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #95 on: January 19, 2017, 07:27:36 PM »
1. A Blistered Kind of Love by Angela and Duffy Ballard (1/11)
2. Hillbilly Elegy by J.D. Vance (1/19)

Tick-Tock

• Stubble
« Reply #96 on: January 19, 2017, 08:39:07 PM »
4.  Don Callander, Pyromancer

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
  • Insert dough/bread/crust joke
« Reply #97 on: January 19, 2017, 09:01:34 PM »
1. How to stay de-junked forever by Dawna Walter (1/1/17)
2. The Chemistry of Tears by Peter Carey (6/1/17)
3. Spark Joy by Marie Kondo (20/1/17) got it for xmas, read it 26/12, read it again already!
4. The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up by Marie Kondo (just got to the front of the queue at the library!)

VeggieTable

• Stubble
« Reply #98 on: January 20, 2017, 06:27:01 AM »
This is a great idea! I know I definitely want to read more than last year.

1. The Underground Railroad by Colson Whitehead (excellent; page-turning, memorable, couldn't wait to get back to reading when I had to put it down)
2. Lab Girl by Hope Jahren (one of the best memoirs I've read in a while. Also incidentally learned a lot about trees)
3. Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up by Marie Kondo (eh. Good info, but could've been condensed to about 1/3 the length)
4. Olive Kitteridge by Elizabeth Strout - in progress

GeekyGirl

• Stubble
« Reply #99 on: January 20, 2017, 07:49:01 AM »
ENG
  • The Patient by Michael Palmer
  • The Murder Room by P. D. James
FR
  • Une vie si convenable par Ruth Rendell