Author Topic: 5 Day fast next week; 15 day fast started today!  (Read 24632 times)

Cottonswab

• Stubble
  • Occasional Advice Dispensary
    • My Journal
I completed my third fast, which was about 5 days long. 

I am still struggling to maintain homeostasis, while fasting (and while eating a ketogenic diet).  My primary hypothesis is that excessive coffee consumption (before, during, and after fasting) is significantly depleting key mineral and vitamin reserves, as well as preventing me from building them back when I am eating.  These problems become more extreme once my insulin levels go down, and my body starts dumping fluids. 

I will cut back on my coffee consumption to 1 cup per day, and see if there is any improvement.

Ready2Go

• Stubble
I have been reading this thread with great interest, as I have done 3 day fasts without issue, and never thought to go longer. So I was challenged to try this for myself and have now completed a 5 day fast

I don't know how I missed your update to the post but congrats! (Late, I know...)

That's impressive! Do you feel more confident about diet/nutrition/exercise/life in general now?

Confident? Not yet. I felt weak while exercising for about a week after the fast, and that was a bit disappointing.  After some additional study,  I believe that I did not get enough salts/minerals, and that I should have done more light exercise during the fast itself.  I am definitely paying a lot more attention to what I am eating at a macro level.  I want to do this again - maybe mid March.  In preparation for that, I am upping my magnesium and potassium intake to make sure I am in good state before starting.   I am particularly interested in the autophagy benefits of fasting so I'm going to be doing more research about that.

OurTown

• Handlebar Stache
Okay guys.  I am nowhere nearly as amazing as the other posters on this thread, but I am currently on my second 36-hour fast this week.  I feel like a million bucks.

OurTown

• Handlebar Stache
I'm pretty sure I am in ketosis.  We have been keeping to an Atkins induction eating plan for about the last month, and I am eating ketogenic on the re-feeding days.

OurTown

• Handlebar Stache
On another 36 hour fast today, feeling great. 

OurTown

• Handlebar Stache
Re: 5 Day fast next week; 15 day fast started today!
« Reply #55 on: March 22, 2017, 03:15:59 PM »
Wow, good luck.  I will be following closely.  I did a 36 hour fast last Thurs-Sat and a 24 hour fast on Sunday-Monday.  I'll be breaking another 24 hour fast in about 90 minutes.  I can't imagine 15 days!

Ready2Go

• Stubble
« Reply #56 on: March 22, 2017, 04:59:16 PM »
Good luck. From your previous posts I was inspired to buy the precision ultra blood ketone meter for my last 5 day fast. I had been very LCHF even before the fast, so not surprised to see that I was in ketosis immediately on starting the fast. I think that made the fast easier this time around. Fasting glucose hovered around 65 and ketones in 3-5 level.  I'm finding this whole process totally fascinating and I love that we can get this type of data about what's going on with our bodies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pushkina2

• Stubble
  • Proud Member of Prozac Nation
« Reply #57 on: March 22, 2017, 06:41:54 PM »
As a former anorexic, I've found this thread interesting. Due to my past, I am genuinely curious about how those of you who fast do not develop an unhealthy obsession with eating. Is there, in your mind, a line to cross at which point it is no longer beneficial to your mental/physical health?

East River Guide

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #58 on: March 25, 2017, 12:48:01 PM »
Funny, just ran across Dr Fung's website this morning and now this thread.   Count me in on LC and IF too.  Have been a fan of Mark Sisson and Denise Minger for years.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2017, 12:49:47 PM by East River Guide »

East River Guide

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #59 on: March 27, 2017, 07:35:59 AM »
What are your IF plans (if any?).

My IF practice is pretty modest.   I have a baseline of keeping carbs low and eating only once a day (dinner) but sometimes throw in a 48-72 hour fast.   I really use it more of a system reset if I find myself too far off the plan, like when forced to do an excessive client dinner or find my weight has risen somehow. 

OurTown

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #60 on: March 27, 2017, 03:13:00 PM »
You guys are doing great.  I'm hovering around hour 27 right about now, I'm going to break it in about another hour.

OurTown

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #61 on: March 29, 2017, 08:00:39 AM »
In the middle of a 36 hour fast now.  I have occasionally had the leg cramps at night, although it is pretty mild.  I also take high doses of Magnesium for a nervous twitch that I had in high school and that has mysteriously reappeared in the last six months.  I also do the oil (which burns a little) and the bath salts.

OurTown

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #62 on: March 30, 2017, 09:32:08 AM »
Extremely badass.  You can make it all the way to 15!

Ready2Go

• Stubble
« Reply #63 on: April 02, 2017, 07:23:44 PM »
Congrats on getting this far.  I ordered the supplements you mentioned for my next 5-day fast.  I'm thinking if I start proactively, it will be much smoother at the end.

westtoeast

• Bristles
« Reply #64 on: April 03, 2017, 02:46:35 PM »
Hi all, I've been reading this thread with interest. I currently do 16 hour fasts most days and 14 hour on the weekend. I've done a few 24 hour fasts.

My question is about travel. I have a weeklong trip coming up and I have a lot of food intolerances that make it hard to eat while traveling. Is it nuts to consider doing a long fast or maybe a few 36 hour fasts while traveling? Will this be convenient, cheap and distracting or will it be totally miserable and make it hard to enjoy travel? I'd love to hear if anyone has tried this.

OurTown

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #65 on: April 03, 2017, 02:48:20 PM »
Just about to finish up a 24 hour fast.  BTW, my weight is down to 177 (from a high of 206).  It feels great!

rothnroll

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #66 on: April 03, 2017, 06:58:54 PM »
I'm at 24 hours of my fast. I hope to do 15. We will see.
The only thing that I am drinking is water and a coffee in the morning.
I have done 48 hours before. I hope to stay strong this time.

rothnroll

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #67 on: April 03, 2017, 08:39:32 PM »
Thanks OT!

On day 12 and feeling good.

I've had some ROUGH days but today has been pretty smooth, not sure why the difference, trying to tease out the source of my hard ones.

Come WED night after 2100, I'm eating!

What is your current weight loss at?

rothnroll

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #68 on: April 03, 2017, 10:05:53 PM »
I didn't know that I could actually do this until I did the 48 hour fast. I am hoping to at least do 5 days with 15 being the max.
I do notice that I get super grumpy on a fast.
Hey infromsea, why did you decide on 15 days? Why not 12 or 20?

rothnroll

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #69 on: April 04, 2017, 08:22:28 PM »
Ok I just hit 48 hours on this fast. I hope I can get to 15 like the thread starter. I am doing this to test my mental toughness and for weight loss (as an added benefit).
I didn't think this was possible past 48 hours until I read this thread. Thanks for the inspiration.

I am worried about being able to think. I just finished data collection on a study and I now have to start data analysis.
Day three is tomorrow :)

rothnroll

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #70 on: April 04, 2017, 08:59:01 PM »
Day 7 comes to a close, it's been a rough one.

I came home yesterday (evening of day 6) and did pullups and I paid for that. I started cramping and having leg pain. Since then I've been pounding a home-made "ketoaide" and pushing mag supplements/spray mag to combat the cramping. I'm now up to taking: mag/potassium/selenium/vitamin C/calcium and zinc supps. This might be too much, might be too little, time will tell (this is an experiement after all).

I still have the low level cramps/discomfort in calves but ZERO hunger (made dinner for kiddo tonight, not an issue) and ok energy. Mental clarity is high, if a little spacey. This morning ketones = 6.7, glucose = 78, not going to check again until tomorrow morning. Nearing the half-way point I just want to drop the calf cramps, when they wake you from a full sleep, that gets old. The good thing is, a high tolerance for pain/discomfort and long history of distance running have left me with a pretty good judge of what's bearable and what's not, this is bearable, just annoying.
I have been having calf cramps as well. Any clue on what causes that? I started taking vitamins (multi) tonight and a magnesium supplement.
I set my goal at 21 days.
Not sure if I can do that.

OurTown

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #71 on: April 05, 2017, 10:35:43 AM »
What's the word?  It seems like you made it all the way to day 15, which is spectacular.

homestead neohio

• Pencil Stache
    • Journal - Seeds Sprout
« Reply #72 on: April 06, 2017, 07:21:01 AM »
Congratulations, that is some serious willpower. 

Did you see the autophagy you were hoping for?  How do you know?  Are these sub-dermal lumps you can see/feel?

rothnroll

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #73 on: April 06, 2017, 05:11:03 PM »
 Congrats on the 15th day fast.
I am now on day 4. Day three was terrible. I only got 1 hour of sleep heading into day three. I could not go to sleep.
I was too hungry.
Today Was much better. I had a full night of sleep and the hunger pains are much less.

rothnroll

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #74 on: April 06, 2017, 09:42:49 PM »
Ok day 4 is done.

VERY typical rothnroll, where you eating keto before fasting? That seems to help control my hunger once I start a fast, your body switches from dietary fat to the fat stores, making it easier to "switch".

Good luck in achieving your goal!
I was not eating Keto before fasting. I think that might be a good idea the next time.
I did a juice fast a few years ago for 3 weeks.
It was miserable and expensive. I was much hungrier on the juice fast.

rothnroll

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #75 on: April 07, 2017, 12:31:29 AM »
Congrats on the 15th day fast.
I am now on day 4. Day three was terrible. I only got 1 hour of sleep heading into day three. I could not go to sleep.
I was too hungry.
Today Was much better. I had a full night of sleep and the hunger pains are much less.

VERY typical rothnroll, where you eating keto before fasting? That seems to help control my hunger once I start a fast, your body switches from dietary fat to the fat stores, making it easier to "switch".

Good luck in achieving your goal!

What is your plan to break your fast?
Keto again?

rothnroll

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #76 on: April 08, 2017, 07:47:28 PM »
Ok Day 6 is down. I have completely no energy and I have a hard time sleeping.

rothnroll

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #77 on: April 09, 2017, 08:47:20 PM »
Your trouble sleeping may be that you don't need as much sleep.

I've found that fasting saves the body a lot of energy that it would normally be using to deal with the metabolic impact of eating. Once you are deep in ketosis, it "may" be that ketones help repair cells/take care of processes that would normally occur while asleep faster and we don't need as much sleep (very common to hear/read about).

If you are really hitting the wall, I suggest the two keto dudes website forums or other fasting websites to help you "see" if you are "pushing" too hard or simply dealing with the "usual" (not that much of this is the usual...).

Good luck!

I am eating keto post fast and my wife and I will continue to do so due to being insulin resistant (family genetics, gotta love em!)
Today was day 7. I went to an outdoor concert and the smells from the Food Trucks were killing me! I almost broke my fast.
I stayed strong though.
Thanks for the keto info. I have some keto sticks. I am probably not going to waste my time with them. I am not eating anything or cheating, so I figure I will be in keto eventually. I kind of felt like I had the keto flu today, but it could be the lack of sleep.
I am going to break my fast on the 21st of April, which should be 19 days. I have some schoolwork to do (PhD Candidate) and I am having problems with motivation and focus. Hopefully i won't have to break it before then.
Oh, I am drinking 2 cups of black coffee a day. I know that is cheating (Kind of), but I am not ready to give up caffeine. I am addicted to it, and anytime I have tried to skip a day without any coffee, I had a pounding headache.
Thanks for the encouragement.

OurTown

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #78 on: April 10, 2017, 11:29:38 AM »
I'm going to dial back to one fast per week, probably a 36 hour from Thursday evening to Saturday morning.  I feel great but I don't want to overdo it.  I've lost a lot of weight fairly quickly, so I think I'd like to get my body used to its current weight for awhile and maybe that will become the set point.  I'm keeping on a pretty powerful keto eating plan the rest of the time, trying to stay under 20g carbs per day. 

rothnroll

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #79 on: April 10, 2017, 01:33:26 PM »
I'm going to dial back to one fast per week, probably a 36 hour from Thursday evening to Saturday morning.  I feel great but I don't want to overdo it.  I've lost a lot of weight fairly quickly, so I think I'd like to get my body used to its current weight for awhile and maybe that will become the set point.  I'm keeping on a pretty powerful keto eating plan the rest of the time, trying to stay under 20g carbs per day.
How much have you lost in total?
How many fasts have you completed?
I like the idea of a 36 hour fast a week.
We are about the same age (I'm 45).

OurTown

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #80 on: April 10, 2017, 02:22:44 PM »
I'm down 29 lbs in the last 6 months or so.  I quit drinking, which helped with the weight loss.  For the last month I've been doing about 2 to 3 fasts per week, each 24 or 36 hours. 

mizzourah2006

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #81 on: April 11, 2017, 08:53:29 AM »
I pretty much always do intermittent (fast from 7PM to 11AM) and about once every other week I do 24 hours (7-7), but just curious how people with SOs deal with dinner time. I just find myself getting hungry when I see my wife cooking dinner for her and my daughter. Then I just break down and realize that I am not doing it for any particular reason other than to see if I have the self-control to do it for longer than 24 hours and because of there being no real goal I have always just decided to eat. My wife considers dinner time a time to catch up on the day, so I don't think she would be very happy with me not being at the dinner table. Any suggestions?

Landlady

• Stubble
« Reply #82 on: April 11, 2017, 03:02:51 PM »
Hi folks, I'm just finding this thread. I also do IF 5 days of week at 16:8 or longer if it feels right. I'll go back and read the history of the thread but I just wanted to say it's nice to see other people fasting too. I'm not nearly as badass as a multi day fast, but maybe some day.

rothnroll

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #83 on: April 12, 2017, 12:41:45 AM »
Day 9 down. I am staying strong. This is really hard though.
I have been craving a Chipotle salad bowl though. I don't have any cravings for carbs or pizza, etc.
I actually want some fruit.

rothnroll

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #84 on: April 12, 2017, 12:47:09 AM »
I pretty much always do intermittent (fast from 7PM to 11AM) and about once every other week I do 24 hours (7-7), but just curious how people with SOs deal with dinner time. I just find myself getting hungry when I see my wife cooking dinner for her and my daughter. Then I just break down and realize that I am not doing it for any particular reason other than to see if I have the self-control to do it for longer than 24 hours and because of there being no real goal I have always just decided to eat. My wife considers dinner time a time to catch up on the day, so I don't think she would be very happy with me not being at the dinner table. Any suggestions?
I sit down with my family every night, help the wife cook, and clean up. We have 2 kids and it's part of being a parent.
I have done some tempting things, like make homemade pizza. It made the entire house smell good. I made burgers and fries the other day and I wanted to just take one bite. I was considering it, and my teenage son talked me out of it. I told everyone that I needed their encouragement before I started this. We don't eat out very often, but the other day we went to California Tortilla Company because my kids got free meals because of their report cards. I wanted to break the fast as soon as I saw the yummy looking veggies and chicken. I am not sure if I will ever do such an extended fast like this again. My plan is to try keto or IF when going off of the fast. Thanks for the encouragement.

rothnroll

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #85 on: April 14, 2017, 12:31:16 AM »
infromsea,
I just finished Day 11
WHen I wake up it will be day 12.
I am doing well, but hating it!
I can't concentrate at all. I have to do some really high level math - it's impossible.
I have lost a good deal of weight. I believe 16 pounds or so 11 days. The last 7 days it has been a steady 1 pound a day.
Not sure if I will ever do this again.
It will be over soon...
Thanks for the encouragement.

gerardc

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #86 on: April 14, 2017, 03:04:08 AM »
Interesting. I work out with weights or Crossfit 4-5 times a week, I'm BMI 26 @ 13-14% body fat now. Never fasted whole days but I did IF for a while.

How would you recommend starting? I'm thinking 36 hours the first time (1 full day + 2 nights). Keep lifting as usual? 1 day probably won't do much, prob. equivalent to 2-3 days in a row of very low calories, which I do occasionally.

East River Guide

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #87 on: April 15, 2017, 03:27:54 PM »
I always worry a little about these "take X supplement" when fasting ideas.   Part of the appeal of fasting to me is the intuitive principle that evolution provided a system designed to periodically get less nutrition/calories, so fasting is a way of escaping the modern environment of excess and connecting to a natural rhythm.   But if the optimal state is the natural state of ups and downs (downs being the fasting), it's hard to then say we should be tweaking that with something foreign to the evolutionary process.  I don't think Og had magnesium supplements.  Maybe salt, but that seems like a stretch, at least on a consistent basis. 

rothnroll

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #88 on: April 16, 2017, 02:51:15 AM »
I always worry a little about these "take X supplement" when fasting ideas.   Part of the appeal of fasting to me is the intuitive principle that evolution provided a system designed to periodically get less nutrition/calories, so fasting is a way of escaping the modern environment of excess and connecting to a natural rhythm.   But if the optimal state is the natural state of ups and downs (downs being the fasting), it's hard to then say we should be tweaking that with something foreign to the evolutionary process.  I don't think Og had magnesium supplements.  Maybe salt, but that seems like a stretch, at least on a consistent basis.
I thought the same thing too.. until I got muscle cramps. I have been taking a multivitamin and some MIO in my water (the electrolyte non flavored one). Once I did that the muscle cramps went away. Most of the cramps happened in the middle of the night. Weird.

rothnroll

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #89 on: April 16, 2017, 03:07:16 AM »
Well, I am now on day 14. You guys that have been talking about working out, I don't see how. I do not have enough energy to do that. I can go on a small walk with the wife, but that is it.
I plan to do another 5 days. Who knows.
My sleep patterns are flipped. I have been staying up until 6 am. I can tell you that I am not tired and I don't believe that I have even yawned in 10 days.
Also, my skin has cleared up and my eyes are as white as I can EVER remember.
I think this was a good experiment.

rothnroll

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #90 on: April 16, 2017, 03:18:30 PM »
Well, I am now on day 14. You guys that have been talking about working out, I don't see how. I do not have enough energy to do that. I can go on a small walk with the wife, but that is it.
I plan to do another 5 days. Who knows.
My sleep patterns are flipped. I have been staying up until 6 am. I can tell you that I am not tired and I don't believe that I have even yawned in 10 days.
Also, my skin has cleared up and my eyes are as white as I can EVER remember.
I think this was a good experiment.

Amazing work roth!

Fasting truly does get "easier" as you do it more often. The more cycles I go through, the more capable I become during a fast, your experience looks very typical. Your sleep "issues" probably stem from the adrenaline the body produces during a fast as it does it's best to keep us "powered up" and capable of movement in order to hunt... It's not uncommon on a keto diet either.

Don't sweat the fact that you don't feel like working out, the fact that you are living/breathing/going to work etc. after 14 days of no caloric intake, that's pretty damn good data right there, you DON'T have to eat every 3 hours or face a wasting death!

The energy and skin improvements are likely due to ketosis/autophagy/waste product removal. I'd swear on a bible that my eye sight improves, but that's subjective....

Good work!

Thanks for the encouragement. How many different cycles have you done (and what length)? How often?

OurTown

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #91 on: April 17, 2017, 03:05:14 PM »
I'm on a 24 today and will likely do a 36 on Friday.  On those rare days when I depart from a keto eating plan, e.g. yesterday, I feel like shit. 

rothnroll

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #92 on: April 17, 2017, 04:08:51 PM »
Roth,

I've done numerous 24/48/36 hour fasts, something like once every two weeks.

Wife got on board about eight months ago once she saw I didn't waste away and die and we've done four 5 day fasts, those we do every six weeks or so, usually around a special event, like fasting the week before thanksgiving, that kind of thing. And of course there's the big one, I did 15, she did 16, we've only done that once (so far). Something like that, we'll only do every 6-9 months.

For now, she's going to fasting three days a week, every week, until she reaches her goal weight and gets off the meds. I'm actually sticking with IF only as I go into a new phase of trying to put on muscle without too much weight gain.
I would hate to do a 3 day fast every week. The worst part of this fast was the first three days. Once you get into it, it doesn't get any harder (e.g. Day 4 isn't any harder than day 16).
I like the idea of a regular fast like you mentioned, maybe once a month for 5 days.
Today is day 16. I hope to end this on Thursday.
I am still dropping weight...

gerardc

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #93 on: April 18, 2017, 11:11:34 AM »
For now, she's going to fasting three days a week, every week, until she reaches her goal weight and gets off the meds.

I thought you recommended not to fast with the goal of losing weight?

Do you usually binge eat when you end a long fast?

OurTown

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #94 on: April 18, 2017, 11:45:40 AM »
For now, she's going to fasting three days a week, every week, until she reaches her goal weight and gets off the meds.

I can't speak for the OP, and I haven't done any fasts longer than 36 hrs.  But I do not binge eat at the end.  In fact, I have found that by doing intermittent fasting 2-3 times per week I am eating less on the feeding days.

homestead neohio

• Pencil Stache
    • Journal - Seeds Sprout
« Reply #95 on: April 18, 2017, 11:57:08 AM »

I expect this would make you sick.  Your body has adapted to running on stored fat.  It is probably enough of an adjustment to start re-feeding with a keto diet, introducing protein and dietary fat first in moderation, then ramping up to normal amounts of food.

rothnroll

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #96 on: April 18, 2017, 04:00:41 PM »

It's not my main goal, however it is bound to happen. I am on day 16 of my fast, and I have dropped a bunch of weight. I think I am down about 18 to 20 pounds.

rothnroll

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #97 on: April 18, 2017, 04:08:41 PM »
I would hate to do a 3 day fast every week. The worst part of this fast was the first three days. Once you get into it, it doesn't get any harder (e.g. Day 4 isn't any harder than day 16).
I like the idea of a regular fast like you mentioned, maybe once a month for 5 days.
Today is day 16. I hope to end this on Thursday.
I am still dropping weight...

Have you thought about how you are going to break the fast?
I do not want to do Keto after this. I have done keto before, and like it. 
I am going to end my fast on Thursday at 1300. My plan is to eat a banana and a handful of cashews, and wait until later in the day for my wife to get home.
I broke keto fasts before the wrong way before (pizza.. lol) and felt terrible. I want to have a salad from Chipotle with guacamole for dinner. We hardly ever eat out, but this is what I am craving.
Then Friday I am going to transition into intermittent fasting and only eat in the evenings. I am going to log all my food with the myfitnesspal app to ensure that I am not exceeding 1600 to 1800 calories.
That is my plan. What are the holes in it? :)

dividendman

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #98 on: April 18, 2017, 08:47:44 PM »
Posting to follow

rothnroll

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #99 on: April 20, 2017, 02:38:58 AM »
Well, I am on the last day (Day 18).
I have some cashews, a banana, and a large coffee with full fat cream planned for later.
I have lost a bunch of weight - I lost 25 pounds in 18 days (I'm 6'1 - went from 233 to 208). I don't feel like I lost any muscle at all.
Plan is intermittent fasting.
I can't wait to be done. I have been thinking about food non-stop. I'm not hungry though. I am not at 100% mental capacity though. I am having problems concentrating.
If I had a mentally easier job, it would have been much easier.
Thanks infromsea for the support. I am going to try something shorter in 2 weeks or so.