Author Topic: 31 mile bike commute  (Read 4851 times)

DMoney

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
31 mile bike commute
« on: July 27, 2014, 04:00:26 PM »
This month due to a job assignment change my commute went from 1 mile to 31 miles.  BARF!  I know.  I used to stroll or pedal or even goddamn skip to work.  Now I drive my clown car in a high traffic area, 62 miles a day.

I'm toying with the idea of trying to bike the morning leg once a week (just one direction), and catching a ride or using public transportation on the way home.  Just to take the edge off.

Tomorrow I'm off work and going to give it a try.  Biking the 31 miles in the morning to work.

Wish me luck!  I was a triathlete in a former life, but it's been a while since my bike has been off the trainer in the basement!

Milspecstache

• Pencil Stache
Re: 31 mile bike commute
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2014, 05:26:14 PM »
That is hardcore!  Hope to see a report of a successful day tomorrow!!

This_Is_My_Username

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2014, 05:36:26 PM »
I also have a 50 km commute (31 miles), but mine is two-way (2 x 25km).

You can do it.

After a while you will get stronger and it will become easier.   

you should try a two-way commute (100km) some days !

amha

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2014, 09:03:13 PM »
That's awesome!!! I used to have a 15-mile-each-way commute, and I thought that was hardcore... but that's nothing compared to 31!

It'll be hard at first, but you can totally do it! You'll have legs of steel after a few months.

cdttmm

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2014, 06:59:39 AM »
Do it!!! Because it will remind me that I should stop talking about the same thing (27-mile commute, one-way) and just do it!!!

I'm a former triathlete, too, and now run ultramarathons. I need to keep reminding myself that biking will also improve my running. Now I just need to make the commitment... You go first, okay?!? :-)

DMoney

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2014, 11:44:02 AM »
FEASIBILITY STUDY COMPLETE!  And it was a success, I'd say!

Thanks for all the encouragement, everyone.

Bike computer said it was 32 miles.  It took me 2 hrs 16 minutes, which included one potty break and one water bottle refill.  Full disclosure: it's probably just a bit down hill in that direction, so I made good time without killing myself.  I hung out for a few minutes outside my office, then biked 12 miles to the train station and took the train home. I stretched on the train ride and am feeling pretty good now.  A total of 45 miles biked today.

It was AWESOME.  I've been cycling for a long time now, on and off, but I'm still always surprised at how much fun it is and what a "high" you get after a nice, long hard ride.  Without the sore joints that come along with a long run (for me, at least).

Now I have to figure out how to incorporate this into a normal work day, since today I was off.  In a perfect, childless world I would bike both ways spending 8 hours at work and almost 5 hours biking daily.  But that's not so fair to my family.  I'm fit enough to do it, or at least would become so quickly, but that's A LOT of time biking and not with family on a work day.  BUT the good news is it took 2:17, not the 3 hours I was worried it would take.  So if I get up at 4:40, and out the door by 5am, I should have enough time to make it to work, shower, and be ready to start at 8am.  Woohoo!

I think I'll start off doing it once a week, and bum a ride back to my home town in the afternoon.  I'll post back to let you all know how it goes!

DMoney

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2014, 11:49:23 AM »
One more thing!

I'd love some recommendations on bike lights.  It's gonna be dark at 5am, and getting darker as the fall comes.  Thanks :)

Jersey

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2014, 01:54:24 PM »
I have been preparing for a 20 mile one way. Seems like the easiest thing to do is just suck it up and give it a go. Thanks for the inspiration.

FuckRx

• Pencil Stache

cdttmm

• Stubble
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2014, 02:07:35 AM »
Definitely badass, DMoney! Looks like now I gotta step up!

BooksAreNerdy

• Bristles
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2014, 11:45:40 AM »
Have you considered driving your bike to work on Monday morning, biking home Monday eve, biking Tuesday am, and driving home with the bike on a rack Tuesday eve, etc. That way you are only biking once per day?

My DH has a 30mi commute round trip and he really enjoys the time spent biking. It only takes him about an hour of extra commute time, but he doesn't go to the gym at lunch to run anymore so that he can leave early every day and still make it home at his usual time.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2014, 10:12:57 AM »
Cygolite 360 and Hotshot rear combo for $80 is bright, durable, and highly recommended.

Depending on how your family feels, and whether you can park overnight at work, you could do the alternate morning/evening commutes. Drive in with bike, bike home. Bike work, drive home, repeat.

Impressive! My DW is slowly working up to a 26 mile round trip and I do a 22 mile round trip on the weekends for my PT job.

DMoney

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2014, 05:17:35 PM »
BooksAreNerdy and Thegoblinchief,

Yes!  I have considered leaving my car and doing the every-other method you propose.  The problem is on evenings I bike home I'll have to hire someone to pick up my kids at daycare because I won't be back before it closes.  My spouse does the morning drop off, so the morning is "my" time to work out, get up as early as I please to do a 2.25 hr bike, go to crossfit, or pool, etc but in the afternoon it's my turn and I have to hustle to get back in time before daycare closes. 

It takes about 75 minutes to drive home with traffic and I guess it will take about 2.5 hrs to bike home.   Therein lies the problem…

Thanks for the lights recommendations!  I ordered a few that were recommended in another thread on this topic.  Excited to put them on my bike for my Monday morning ride.  A colleague with a pick up truck lives about 2-3 miles from me is going to give me a ride back to his place Monday afternoon and then I'll bike the 2-3 miles home so I can walk over to pick up kids from daycare. 

Sonorous Epithet

• Bristles
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2014, 08:29:08 PM »
Cygolite 360 and Hotshot rear combo for $80 is bright, durable, and highly recommended.

Depending on how your family feels, and whether you can park overnight at work, you could do the alternate morning/evening commutes. Drive in with bike, bike home. Bike work, drive home, repeat.

Impressive! My DW is slowly working up to a 26 mile round trip and I do a 22 mile round trip on the weekends for my PT job.

These are the lights I settled with and I LOVE them. I feel totally safe at night with them. The visibility on the Cygolite is outstanding. Absolutely no complaints.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2014, 08:30:56 PM »
These are the lights I settled with and I LOVE them. I feel totally safe at night with them. The visibility on the Cygolite is outstanding. Absolutely no complaints.

I got these for DW, for whenever she works up to biking at night/commuting. That said, I'm totally bringing them for a test drive on my bike tomorrow, since there's a very good chance of rain for my commute.