Author Topic: 30 Days of Biking  (Read 9413 times)

windawake

• Bristles
30 Days of Biking
« on: April 02, 2012, 09:53:14 AM »
Minneapolis has a great organization called 30 Days of Biking, where individuals sign up to bike every day in the month of April and tweet about it.  I'm trying it and it's my first year, but I'm all prepped to go with my new bike!

I'm going to challenge all of you Mustachians, get on the 30 Days of Biking train.  Commit to biking every day in April.  This make it easier to get yourself biking places you need to go, but wouldn't normally bike.  If you know you have to bike somewhere every day, you're likely to get off your ass and do it!  I'm going to be tweeting about my experience (@lastwaysleft).

Who's with me?

sol

• Walrus Stache
Re: 30 Days of Biking
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2012, 11:35:39 AM »
I have no intention of tweeting about it, but I'm in for the daily ride commitment.

Mrs MM

• Administrator
  • Bristles
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2012, 11:37:46 AM »
Awesome!  I love your avatar, by the way.  30 days of biking is a great challenge.

Yesterday I actually drove the car and it felt really weird... I realized it had been a while now that the weather is so nice here!  :)

James

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2012, 11:57:27 AM »
I'm up for it on all the days I'm allowed to bike. (can't bike when I'm on call)

Thanks for the challenge, I'm on call today and will start tomorrow.  I was planning to bike more, but I needed a challenge to push me to a further step.

windawake

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2012, 08:20:09 PM »
I agree that driving feels weird.  I drove to visit my family yesterday and kept wanting to use my hands to signal.  Tweeting isn't necessary, I just included that in case anyone was interested.  Feel free to post stories of your experience on this thread and we can make a discussion of it.  I biked 18 miles today despite my lock breaking, chain falling off, and being grazed by a van that was unexpectedly backing up.  Yeah biking!

Parizade

• Handlebar Stache
  • Happily FIREd
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2012, 05:21:55 AM »
I'm in Minneapolis, how did I not hear about this before? Sounds like a good idea to me!

windawake

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2012, 07:10:09 AM »
Parizade,

There's a group ride on Thursday leaving from Freewheel Bike Shop (the bike shop on the greenway) at 5 that I'll probably be going to with a couple friends if you want to join! Same goes for anyone else in Mpls.

tehfury87

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2012, 12:47:13 PM »
On a related note, I posted this on Facebook on March 30 and wanted to repeat it here:
There's another silly post going around about not pumping gas on a specific day in April. How about a more real and useful challenge -- Don't pump gas for the month of April!
Bike, take [public transportation], walk, stay in, batch errands, carpool (take turns) -- develop new habits that will really make a difference.
You can go fill up tomorrow [March 31], or be more badass and don't.
I think this is a good challenge for beginning Mustachians and goes right along with this bike every day in April challenge.

tannybrown

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2012, 12:48:48 PM »
I'm in -- oddly, rode the past two days so I'm still on track.

Somnambulist

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2012, 12:58:42 PM »
I've been trying to get in 3 x 25-30 miles a week for the last month. I haven't biked much so far this month but I'll see if I can't stick to it.

Parizade

• Handlebar Stache
  • Happily FIREd
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2012, 05:24:16 AM »
Parizade,

There's a group ride on Thursday leaving from Freewheel Bike Shop (the bike shop on the greenway) at 5 that I'll probably be going to with a couple friends if you want to join! Same goes for anyone else in Mpls.

I work until 5 so I can't make it. I did go for a ride after work last night though!

Parizade

• Handlebar Stache
  • Happily FIREd
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2012, 07:52:24 PM »
Been riding every night after work, started with 5 miles and upped it to 7 tonight. The weather has been perfect! 

tannybrown

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2012, 11:03:29 PM »
That's been my routine too, Pirazade.  I find myself looking forward to the nightly ride.

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2012, 08:55:17 AM »
Been riding every night after work,

I've just been riding to and from work.  Seems to save a step.

Parizade

• Handlebar Stache
  • Happily FIREd
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2012, 11:49:21 AM »
Been riding every night after work,

I've just been riding to and from work.  Seems to save a step.

My commute would be a 30 mile round trip by bike, I'm working my way up to that.

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2012, 12:31:02 PM »
Week 1 update:

Bike commuted to work M-Th, walked on Friday. Did a neighborhood ride with the 8 year old on Saturday and did 30 brutally hilly solo miles on Sunday.

Nancy

« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2012, 07:14:27 PM »
So, after four years of calculating, hemming and hawing, I finally bought myself a bike. I rode it to work today, and it rocked! I felt like I had tons of energy for the rest of the day. I mapped my route so that almost all the streets have a bike lane. My commute is about 5 miles each way. Pretty awesome. Sorry if that isn't exactly what this thread is about, but I really wanted to share!

Brett

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2012, 01:43:33 PM »
I'm going to have to catch up with everyone on this one. I've done my knees some damage it seems cycling a bike that doesn't really fit me (wish I'd realised that before I started commuting). Once I'm recovered and have sorted myself a better fitting bike, I will throw in some weekend cycles to see if I can't get to the mountains... which aren't far away and I should be ashamed for having not been there by bike as of yet.

Mrs MM

• Administrator
  • Bristles
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2012, 07:31:27 PM »
So, after four years of calculating, hemming and hawing, I finally bought myself a bike. I rode it to work today, and it rocked! I felt like I had tons of energy for the rest of the day. I mapped my route so that almost all the streets have a bike lane. My commute is about 5 miles each way. Pretty awesome. Sorry if that isn't exactly what this thread is about, but I really wanted to share!

AWESOME!!  I love these kinds of stories.  ROCK ON.

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2012, 09:04:00 AM »
End of month update:

days worked: 21
days biked: 14
days walked: 6
days carpooled: 1

days I drove my car to work: 0.

May is Bike To Work Month here, sponsored by the city, so I expect this month will be even better.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!