Author Topic: 30-day purchase wait for 2019  (Read 7618 times)

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
Re: 30-day purchase wait for 2019
« Reply #50 on: February 02, 2019, 11:02:56 PM »
I'm also trying to find an end table/night stand for said guest bedroom.  <$20 is currently admissible - if I don't find anything by end of the month, I can bump the budget up (stalking thrift and Craigslist).

I love how things work out sometimes.  I bought a larger buffet cabinet off Craigslist to refinish, so I'm rearranging a bit, and will move my aloe plant to the top of the new buffet from it's current home on a plant stand.  Realized I could easily add a top to the plant stand to make it into a little end table, probably even with materials I have on hand. It will actually be the perfect size and style for the guest room. So scratching something off the list in less than a day!

zygote

• Bristles
« Reply #51 on: February 06, 2019, 10:55:15 PM »
First win of 2019! I found myself eyeing a facial mist at Trader Joe's because it was only $3.99 and my skin has been really dehydrated lately. But then I remembered this thread and the two other almost full bottles of other facial mist I already have....so I put it back. If it's still available when I run out of my current bottles maybe I'll give it a try then. That will definitely be > 30 days from now. The one I have been using most regularly is more expensive, so this would be better in the long run if it works well. The ingredients were pretty good.

I ran out of my evening facial mist AND it’s been more than 30 days so I bought the one from Trader Joe’s. It’s way cheaper than the other replacement I would have bought, so if it works this will be a long term plus.

EDIT 2/8: Turns out the facial mist stings the area around my eyes. Oh well, it was worth a shot. So now I do need to replace the more expensive one that I know works well for me.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2019, 09:10:16 AM by zygote »

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
  • Insert dough/bread/crust joke
« Reply #52 on: February 07, 2019, 08:53:24 PM »
8/2 Cacti. I want big cacti out the front of my house.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #53 on: February 08, 2019, 04:35:25 PM »
8/2 Khaki backpack from this place https://www.tete-bag.jp/ assuming I could even work out how to buy it

mountain mustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #54 on: February 08, 2019, 10:06:14 PM »
it's amazing that if you just wait long enough, you forget about things you wanted to buy! I wanted new winter boots a month ago, I guess I still do but I kind of forgot about it....I've just been dealing with my old crappy ones because my money has had other uses (nothing exciting, just bills)

8/8- I want new tank tops. I wear a thin (no shelf bra) tank almost every day under a base layer long sleeve, and in the summer under hoodies, and mine are falling apart. Unfortunately (but actually fortunately) I have decided that I am no longer purchasing any clothing that is not made fair trade with good working conditions. This has not always been a conviction of mine, but after doing a lot of research I realize that I can't be insistent on other things I buy being cruelty free while enabling suffering of people who are making the cheap clothing I want to buy. I don't expect this to be everyone's conviction...but I feel really strongly about it. Honestly it has just made me realize I will probably just not buy much new clothing, and even when I'm buying used I will be a lot more choosy. But anyway, all of that rambling aside...I want some Patagonia tank tops. But they are $$$. So, I'm spending some time searching on Ebay and waiting for the right items to be for sale for less than $20 a piece.

zygote

• Bristles
« Reply #55 on: February 22, 2019, 02:10:26 PM »
I sort of broke this rule, sort of not. A kickstarter for something cool got started a few days ago, and one of the rewards is something that would mean a lot to me. There was only 1 left, so I pledged for it. I have until March 23rd to change my mind and cancel. I set an alert in my phone for March 22nd to remind me to reconsider. This is something that I would 100% love to own (and I am already imagining exactly where it would go in my apartment). The only thing giving me pause is the $300 price tag. It would be somewhat rare and hold a lot of sentimental value for me. I'm not sure yet whether it is $300 worth of sentimental value.

So I didn't wait 30 days to pledge, but I do have 29 to cancel. We'll see how I feel about it then.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #56 on: February 26, 2019, 05:00:37 PM »
@zygote great that you have a cool-down window.

Purchase delays:
- I have been delaying on buying a bigger spikey ball (for myofascial release) for hmm 2 weeks now and my leg is finally healing so I might not need to buy it at all now, turns out I could do all I needed with my existing foam roller and lacrosse ball.
- I did finally buy a bumbag to hold dog treats for training sessions but I have been thinking about this since November, and I got a used one from the Vinnies [$7] instead of buying something brand new but functionally identical from the pet store [$20+]

zygote

• Bristles
« Reply #57 on: March 22, 2019, 12:38:19 PM »
I sort of broke this rule, sort of not. A kickstarter for something cool got started a few days ago, and one of the rewards is something that would mean a lot to me. There was only 1 left, so I pledged for it. I have until March 23rd to change my mind and cancel. I set an alert in my phone for March 22nd to remind me to reconsider. This is something that I would 100% love to own (and I am already imagining exactly where it would go in my apartment). The only thing giving me pause is the $300 price tag. It would be somewhat rare and hold a lot of sentimental value for me. I'm not sure yet whether it is $300 worth of sentimental value.

So I didn't wait 30 days to pledge, but I do have 29 to cancel. We'll see how I feel about it then.

My alarm went off to remind me that the kickstarter ends tomorrow. I think of seeing the reward I chose in its spot in my apartment and I still smile. So I'm going to go through with the pledge with confidence.

Otherwise, doing pretty well overall. I've purchased some small household items here and there, but I needed them and don't regret any of my purchases. Even if I haven't waited the full 30 days, I've found that waiting 2-3 is enough to steer me away from most things I don't really care about. Details aside, the spirit of the challenge has really helped me evaluate what I'm buying and be intentional about my purchases, which was the main goal for me.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #58 on: March 22, 2019, 05:09:24 PM »
@zygote spirit rather than the law is still a win and it sounds like your kickstarter is a winner.
I think of seeing the reward I chose in its spot in my apartment and I still smile. So I'm going to go through with the pledge with confidence.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #59 on: March 23, 2019, 07:47:44 PM »
Channeling work-search anxiety into obsessive bag research. Debating between a Fossil Sydney or a Rachel satchel and whether to get it in tan or brown. Please note I do not need a new bag *but* I could replace two of my current bags with one if I get this satchel. Or I could just donate these bags regardless of whether I buy a new one at all!

And yes, this is 100% displacement activity.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #60 on: March 25, 2019, 10:14:21 AM »
3/25/19:  Things for my baby horse.  She won't be started under saddle until at least August, but it's on my mind, so I've been looking at bits, girths and saddle pads this morning.  Even then, it shouldn't be a problem to get by with what I have until next spring, so this is silly at best.  It's just something to do to make me fell like the big day is not so far away.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #61 on: June 06, 2019, 11:15:33 PM »
Well, I let this die, didn't I? time to revive and get BETTER about loving the stuff I already own instead of "needing" a replacement because of a very mild functional issue. At least at lunchtime I walked out of the queue at the pharmacy instead of actually making a frivolous purchase.

Latest list
- handcream for work (it's winter, I ride, my hands get chapped!) -> solution: bring one of the THREE half-used tubes from home into work.
- micellar water (My current bottle is about to run out!) -> solution: yes I may buy some as soon as the bottle is empty. What I have left may well last another 2 or 3 weeks!
- a hot water bottle (it's cold! I can't get to sleep because of my icy cold feet!) -> I can buy one on the weekend. I am not carting one home on the bus today.
- a jersey (It's cold! I need a different neutral!) solution-> pull out all the jerseys from storage, repair the holes in the chocolate brown merino
- nail-hardening stuff (they splinter and rip, it's painful and ugly) this one is easy! -> take the vitamins you already have, use the conditioning treatment you already have, maybe wear some gloves when washing dishes.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2019, 07:58:09 PM by mspym »

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #62 on: June 09, 2019, 07:38:21 PM »
-Micellar water bought. Still need a hot water bottle.

Purchase impulses from 09 Jun
- a pair of thermals for running (windbreaker is generally enough)
- A grey cowl-neck sweater. (I darned the holes in my chocolate brown merino jerseys instead)

trygeek

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #63 on: July 28, 2019, 06:13:37 PM »
I'm in! My oldest is going to college in fall 2019, so I'm sure there will be some urgent needs when we move him in, but also there is an urgent need to reduce our spending to cashflow his education. I will probably do the no-clothing purchases for 2019 as well, although I'll have an exception if I find I need new running equipment (shoes, sports bras). I've done really well in the past when I've enforced the 30-day purchase delay.

The Nice thing I found when they go to college is the expense is great but man you sure save money on everything else. Think groceries, electricity, gas, and the hey I need 20 bux for x expense.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #64 on: July 28, 2019, 07:42:17 PM »
Dropping this in to review at the end of the season when it will be on sale: Oroton Villa Mini Hobo bag in grey
It is a beautiful bag but since I didn't know I *needed* it until I saw it, this one can wait
: )