Author Topic: 2022 No-Buy Year  (Read 2795 times)

getsorted

• Handlebar Stache
2022 No-Buy Year
« on: January 13, 2022, 03:47:01 PM »
I am new to FIRE, although in my case it's more FIR - I'm 39, earn 52k/year USD, and am starting over saving from scratch after a costly divorce, so "early" is not so early for me. But MMM-like strategies are going to be necessary for me to retire at all. Luckily, I was frugal before hand and have the know-how.

To get a better idea of my base spending needs, I've decided to institute a low-buy/no-buy 2022. My mantra: I already have everything I need.

My rules around allowable purchases:

1. Clothing only to replace what wears out or is unrepairable. (My wardrobe is already small and capsule-like, or I would be further downsizing).
2. Repairs to existing possessions are allowed. Buying supplies for new projects is not. (I have a backlog of project supplies).
3. Food (obviously), birthday and Christmas gifts, and non-food household consumables such as toilet paper are allowed, as long as total monthly spending stays beneath my designated threshold (in my case $2,000 monthly).

Anyone else in? Tips, suggestions, or relevant experiences to share? What are your rules?

draco44

• Pencil Stache
Re: 2022 No-Buy Year
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2022, 11:16:50 PM »
Hi! Sorry to hear about the life situation change (been there) that's at least in part motivating your no spend year. But that's great you are being proactive.

I do not plan to have a no spend year myself, but have just until the end of February to finish a year of not buying any clothes so I will speak to that.  You already have the main realization: you already have everything you need. Beyond that, first off, there's a 2021 throw down the gauntlet thread* if you are interested in reading other people's rules and stumbling blocks for that challenge over a year. Second, good clothing maintenance goes a long way to making things last. Know how to sew a button back on. Wash things in cold water and avoid using the dryer. I love my two folding clothing drying racks (try getting one on Buy Nothing or Freecycle if you need one and can't cobble together a substitute using what you already have). Speaking of which, Buy Nothing or Freecycle will help you generally with your plan for a no-spend year. I suggest joining if you haven't already. In addition to getting stuff and getting rid of excess you identify as you think more about your possessions over the coming year, you may be able to connect with like-minded non-consumers in your community through those groups, especially Buy Nothing. Finding those sort of peers can help you stick to your goals. I also find that occasionally looking at other people's offer listings helps me maintain an attitude of abundance and believe free things really are often available through your connections should you ever really need them. Anyway, those are my rambling thoughts for now. Good luck to you!

*https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/throw-down-the-gauntlet/no-clothes-buying-2021-anyone-else-in/

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2022, 04:13:06 AM »
Something you may want to clarify ahead of time: is your monthly budget a hard max, our will you roll over any excess?

I have been considering a no buy year, and indeed have not yet bought anything except food and medicine. We are planning to move back onboard our boat in a few months and not planning on having a storage room like we did before. DH has bought a lot of stuff that is technically for the STEM classes he teaches on weekends, and thus not a household expense, but it is freaking me out that he seems to think this stuff is going to fit on the boat!

getsorted

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2022, 08:12:56 AM »
Something you may want to clarify ahead of time: is your monthly budget a hard max, our will you roll over any excess?

I am rolling over excess because I anticipate higher expenses later in the year-- summer school is shorter this year and my child care expenses are high when it's not in session. I do what I can to mitigate these, but it's about six weeks total I have to put the kiddo somewhere, preferably somewhere he can learn and have a good time. Last year I spent about $500 extra on science-themed day camps in August. The $2,000 figure includes several planned non-monthly expenses like this, but unexpected expenses like doctor visits may also arise and I don't have built-in margin for those.

getsorted

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2022, 08:17:47 AM »
Second, good clothing maintenance goes a long way to making things last. Know how to sew a button back on. Wash things in cold water and avoid using the dryer. I love my two folding clothing drying racks (try getting one on Buy Nothing or Freecycle if you need one and can't cobble together a substitute using what you already have).

Ah, that's going to be a rough one! I dried my clothes on the line all last year because I didn't have electrical lines that could run a dryer. Then I had them installed and scored a free working dryer. I've been using it excessively because it feels like SUCH a luxury after not having the option for so long! But in fact I have a very nice clothesline in the back yard as well as a drying rack. Time to get back to it. That said, at this time of year, I vent the dryer inside and use it as a source of heat and humidity.

getsorted

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2022, 02:58:15 PM »
No-buy update: The kitchen sink overflowed while my portable dishwasher was draining into it and warped the parquet tiles very badly (it looks, for all the world, like a Land Shark went through the kitchen). I was able to borrow some of what I needed to fix the floor, but broke a drill bit, and so had to go buy a replacement, as well as supplies to try to fix the slow drain issue. Unfortunately, both floor and drain remain unfixed at the moment. I suspect the drain issue is partly to do with air intake being insufficient (the kitchen drain doesn't seem to be vented to a stack, but has an air intake valve under the sink) and something to do with a clog deeper in the line than I have the equipment to fix. Very vexing. Mostly not fixed yet because I had a bad cold over the weekend and am still working on it, so just the normal business of life is taking about 110% of my energy reserves right now.

While I was at Lowe's, I bought a piece of weather stripping for the front door to replace a piece that just fell off, and several of those plastic window insulation kits because my windows are steel casement from 1947 and even with storm windows and heavy curtains, our bedrooms are very cold. Overall, spent $60 at Lowe's.

All of these are allowable purchases under my ban (fixing broken things) except the window kits, but I am hoping the window kits will save enough energy to earn their keep before Spring comes.

I was able to sell $16 in old kids' clothes and $16 in random stuff I don't use on eBay to help offset the buys.

Total monthly spending is getting very close to $2,000 this month because my biannual car insurance is due ($193) and I spent $400 on a car repair- car had no heat. Overall, I'm quite happy about the repair, because I've been chasing down a problem in the car's cooling system for over a year and two different shops quoted me $1500 for two entirely different diagnoses, neither of which sounded right to me. I took it to a radiator specialty shop where they diagnosed the problem for $49 and fixed it for $222. But... I also had the battery replaced there. It wasn't holding a charge properly and did need replacing, but I'm kind of kicking myself because I could definitely have done that myself and saved the labor charge. I just impulsively told them to do it because I was so happy about not having to pay $1500 for a new heater core.

Upstate NYer

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2022, 07:19:37 AM »
I'm in!

I started at the beginning of the year. I'm not buying any crafting supplies for 2022, with the exception of glue (I'm into junk journaling and glue booking). I need to use up what I already have before I buy another single thing.

I'm also not buying clothing, with the exception of things that need to be replaced--I'm going to need new sneakers at some point.

Books, movies, etc. from the library. I even got new (to me) shelves that someone left out near the dumpster in my apartment complex.

That's all I can think of at the moment.

Much Fishing to Do

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2022, 11:39:08 AM »
To this day my wife still knows I will give her a pair of shoes to give me, and she will add an article or two of clothing and some splurge food (cheesecake!) and those are my Christmas/Birthday gifts.  Other than that I dont really shop at all for myself. (I can unfortunately spend significant money, but its basically on travel and activity type fees, etc, something I dont want to reduce but rather get smarter about)

Ron Scott

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2022, 10:10:49 AM »
No alcohol, no reefer.

getsorted

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2022, 11:35:40 AM »
No alcohol, no reefer.

So, just cocaine, then? ;)

Ron Scott

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2022, 05:22:51 AM »
No alcohol, no reefer.

So, just cocaine, then? ;)

HAHA. No head drugs. The ultimate waste of money.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • only good pies and no bad pies -mspym
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2022, 12:20:17 PM »
sadiesortsitout, you will likely be surprised at how much financial progress you can make on your own modest income. Especially since you have the skills & attitude to be ultra-frugal! Although sounds like you are a fair bit of time past the divorce, so you may have already noticed :) At least, that was what happened to me after my divorce, so I hope you have a similar positive experience in that part of your life.

Little late to the party, but I'm in for a low-buy year. Have tried in the past, but a whole year is quite a project. So, we'll see if my stamina lasts. This thread should help.

Generally, I'll aim to spend on the things that are usually considered necessities (food, health care, cleaning supplies, etc). Shoes are health care for me as I have foot issues, and usually <$100/year. I'll spend on planned charitable giving and gifts (for a select list of individuals and events). I will spend on a few select experiences/events for myself throughout the year; in a way these are mental health care expenses :) I plan to spend on upgrading/expanding camping equipment; this will hopefully be second hand. Probably 1-2 items at a cost of <$200.

But will avoid "wants" and luxuries (hobby items, misc random desires). Main exception is coffee shop drinks, however, I will limit myself to an average of 2/week. Also looking to reduce/eliminate unnecessary spending in the household category for my upcoming move. I know I'll want to "nest" and create a comfortable home, but first priority is to maximize the furniture & items I have now and later fill in with acquisitions only when a desire is ongoing and enhances the day to day.

Generally, aiming to spend similar to 2021's average of $2600/month all-in.

getsorted

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2022, 11:34:48 AM »
I have totally blown 100% of my rules... ugh. What a year it's been.

Allow me to re-commit myself for May through December. And please... someone tell me something motivating.

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2022, 11:44:03 AM »

Allow me to re-commit myself for May through December. And please... someone tell me something motivating.

Today is a new day, and so a good day to start again!

getsorted

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2022, 12:30:42 PM »
... someone tell me something motivating.

Today is a new day, and so a good day to start again!

That works!

I was able to set up my paycheck to put only my regular budget into my checking account, with the overage going into savings. Sometimes seeing a lower balance is what it takes to keep me focused on not spending.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2022, 10:45:45 PM »

Well, you're not the only one. I'd forgotten about this thread/challenge completely. Too many coffee shop purchases!!!

Re-committing commences....NOW!

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2022, 06:14:03 AM »
Posting from the other side to offer encouragement. All those sacrifices, large and small, are totally worth it!

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2022, 09:07:17 AM »
@sadiesortsitout ---all the best to you!

While I can't commit to a complete No-Buy Year (we did one in 2018 and it was transformative!) I will jump in as support and will commit to *Almost* No-Buy moving forward for 2022.

I have had a splurgy few months and some hits on the financial front. I don't really need anything so will end my (newly re-engaged) habit of thrift-store browsing, ordering books and (ugh) on-line, impulse emotional buys.

Let's do this!

I'd love to stabilize and grow feelings of abundance by appreciating what I already have (and have access to) without feeding the desire to consume more.
:)
« Last Edit: May 12, 2022, 09:14:44 AM by Serendip »

getsorted

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2022, 09:31:35 AM »

I'd love to stabilize and grow feelings of abundance by appreciating what I already have (and have access to) without feeding the desire to consume more.
:)

Thank you, and yes! It's so much about that mindset of appreciation.

getsorted

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2022, 08:53:58 AM »
In the interest of accountability: We're halfway through May and I've spent $1,701. That means I have $299 for the rest of the month to meet my goal, minus a $159 insurance payment that will come out in the last week of the month.

I was looser about money this month because it's a three-paycheck month and I had some freelance income. But I'm beginning to realize it's that mindset that held me back from saving much last year. If I am bringing in more, I usually end up spending more. Not all, but more. I need to be more focused on keeping my spending where I want it to be so my savings can grow to where I want them to be.

I spent $70 on fans because it's already over 80 degrees in my house and I will NOT turn the air on yet. I'm still resentful about the gas bill over the winter. I set up a reversible cross-breeze ventilation arrangement.

Then I spent about that much more on kid's clothes at Wal-Mart, because my kid had the audacity to outgrow all his shorts AND to inexplicably grow bigger than any of his older cousins. At least two pairs of shorts will have to be returned, so that's a few dollars coming back in.

Can I make it through the next three weeks on $140??? It seems unlikely... but I'm going to try! I am going to have to put some gas in the car today, and it's about $4/gallon here - that makes a $40 fill-up for my 10-gallon tank. I can generally make it two weeks on a tank, and I should finally have some days free of thunderstorms or distant after-work errands on several of those days. The fridge is full with at least a week's worth of meals.

I'm going to put my nose to the grindstone and try it!

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2022, 09:22:48 AM »
@sadiesortsitout , if your budget goals are realistic, come up with a system where all of that additional income goes straight to savings. If that makes you feel deprived, set yourself a savings rate. Save x% and spend the 100-x% guilt free.

Also on that insurance payment, could you get a discount by paying in full at the next renewal?

getsorted

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2022, 10:01:21 AM »
@sadiesortsitout , if your budget goals are realistic, come up with a system where all of that additional income goes straight to savings. If that makes you feel deprived, set yourself a savings rate. Save x% and spend the 100-x% guilt free.

Also on that insurance payment, could you get a discount by paying in full at the next renewal?

Thanks! I already do have such a system, there's just been extra income added to the main account this month.

The $2,000 monthly budget is more aspirational than realistic, at least over the long term. FI and education savings are earmarked and not part of that amount. I'm just trying to be extra-aggressive about not buying things this year, with the objective of wringing a little bit more savings out of my income so I can move up the timeline on a couple of projects.

The insurance payment is my kid's health insurance, which is currently subsidized through my state and can't be prepaid. I'm actually expecting to be kicked off any day for making too much money last year - I'm right on the line, but I'm not sure what income "counts" for the subsidy's purposes. Good problem to have, but I suspect that bill is going to go up any time.

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2022, 08:56:12 AM »
In positive news: was packing for a trip and coveting a new raincoat. I began online browsing..remembered this challenge and reminded myself that my goal this month isn't to be the most stylish hiker out in the woods, it's just to stay dry! :)

getsorted

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2022, 07:39:21 PM »
In positive news: was packing for a trip and coveting a new raincoat. I began online browsing..remembered this challenge and reminded myself that my goal this month isn't to be the most stylish hiker out in the woods, it's just to stay dry! :)

I like that - your goal isn't to be the most stylish hiker. For me, staying focused on a goal needs a lot of reminders about what my goal ISN'T.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2022, 08:46:55 PM »

I like that - your goal isn't to be the most stylish hiker. For me, staying focused on a goal needs a lot of reminders about what my goal ISN'T.

This is an interesting way of framing the topic. I'd say my goal isn't "buy nothing" (please don't kick me out of the thread). My goal is focused and restricted buying only according to enduring "lack" in my life in the realm of discretionary purchases. For example my goal of $200 on camping gear. It's a pretty tight budget and probably won't get me all I want (very competitive Craigslist here), so it enforces rigorous prioritization.  I've wanted to gear up for a while and have borrowed what I needed in the mean time. However, I can't wear out my goodwill, so borrowing time is over.

On another note, I've got to chill on the coffee shops! Even posting here last week didn't keep me on track. I've got a post it on the wall now :)

getsorted

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2022, 08:36:29 AM »
Temptation has entered the ring, in the form of a half-price five-gallon bucket of solid deck stain in the exact brand and color I want on Facebook Marketplace. The algorithm knows I've been watching for this!

I'm going to go for it since the deck needs resealing very badly, is already prepped and ready for sealing, and Kiddo is with his dad over Memorial Day, which will give me time to put it on without worrying about him running across it. I will consider this a $125 loan from June's budget.

I also had an auto-charge for $42 for a supplement subscription that I forgot about. Going to cancel that for next month as I haven't even opened the last bottle. BUT, I also got a $50 Costco card in the mail, I guess as a new-member gift, so I might actually still come in under $2,000 (deck stain exempted).

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2022, 05:13:55 PM »
Do you follow Katie over at "The Non-Consumer Advocate"? She's a buy-nothing proponent and she's been at it for years. Lots of good stuff, especially in the archives. I think she mostly posts on IG and FB, but her Five Frugal Things gets updated a couple times a month and lots of people still post theirs.

getsorted

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2022, 06:22:11 PM »
Do you follow Katie over at "The Non-Consumer Advocate"? She's a buy-nothing proponent and she's been at it for years. Lots of good stuff, especially in the archives. I think she mostly posts on IG and FB, but her Five Frugal Things gets updated a couple times a month and lots of people still post theirs.

I have sometimes read her stuff! I like her style.