Author Topic: 2018 - What will you be FIREd up about?  (Read 10771 times)

Slow road to freedom

• Bristles
2018 - What will you be FIREd up about?
« on: December 02, 2017, 04:04:51 PM »
Is it too early to think about 2018?

I’ve heard many times that it’s easy to overestimate what can be achieved in one year, and underestimate what can be achieved in ten years. Well, I think ten years is too long for me. So I will focus on 2018 to accelerate / catapult me into a great position.

I’m about halfway to achieving FI. At a base level. I’ve plumped for the 2023 Cohort, a great bunch, but I would dearly love to say ‘hi’ to the 2022 Cohort. To do that, by my calculations, I need to save £80,000 in 2018. It’s possible. It’s a challenge. But boy, am I determined...

That’s the big one for me.

I would also love to lose a little weight (well, ok, body fat), spend more time helping my kids at school - and develop their own mini Mustache - and read some well-crafted books.

What’s your big one for 2018?

TartanTallulah

• Pencil Stache
Re: 2018 - What will you be FIREd up about?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2017, 04:15:45 PM »
I can afford to retire at the end of June 2018 if I want to. That's my big one for the year. Much else depends on whether I actually pull the plug.

Otherwise, aim to keep our total savings rate, including DB pensions, well above 50% for as long as I'm working.

Slow road to freedom

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2017, 04:23:18 PM »
I can afford to retire at the end of June 2018 if I want to. That's my big one for the year. Much else depends on whether I actually pull the plug.

Otherwise, aim to keep our total savings rate, including DB pensions, well above 50% for as long as I'm working.

That’s pretty big. Good going.

Mr Griz

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2017, 05:14:50 PM »
I plan to FIRE in 2018. Late August most likely. Depends on exactly when some RSUs vest.

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2017, 07:30:21 PM »
My ONLY priority goal for 2018 is to sell my rental house. I call this Freedom phase 2 (Phase 1 of course being FIRE).

Other secondary goals are:
Continuing to get in better shape
Canoe trip leg 3
Max TFSA

Slow road to freedom

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2017, 01:17:38 AM »
Canoe trip leg 3

That sounds fun - what river are you going back for more to?

facepalm

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2017, 09:21:07 AM »
I'm going to make an attempt to sock away $100,000. I have No Idea how I will do it. I managed to set aside $72,000 this year so I may be able to make it happen. Second job, sell a kidney . . .

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2017, 04:34:32 PM »
My goal is to work less in 2018, and still grow my stache on a lower income. I would like to at least max out my 403b, my Roth IRA, and hubby's Roth IRA. It was easy this year because I worked .9 at my nursing job plus taught 2 semesters of clinical. We just had a new baby, so I am going to take the spring semester off from clinical (unpaid) then possibly cut down the nursing job to .75 when the fall semester starts. I am on paid leave from the nursing job until February.

Other goals are to lose the pregnancy weight , get my abs back (for strength, not just looks), and possibly run a half marathon.

rjbf65

• Stubble
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2017, 11:48:51 AM »
Goal is to get to a 50% savings rate, 2017 will end up around 47%.  Would have been ~60% but my wife had aspirations of getting her Masters and we paid out $9K in tuition this year.  I counted that as an expense but it will pay off in the future.  Only debt we have is her student loan but I have counted the entire payment as an expense instead of only the interest portion like MMM does.  So I could argue that our SR is better than 47%.  But that's just splitting hairs really.

Also hope to max out several tax advantaged accounts.  Will throw remainder at finishing off student loan debt and after tax investing.

Gross income is around $120K but "True Take Home" pay is around $106K.  True take home is Gross - taxes + any matches.   

With all of this I hope our NW to grow by $70 or $80K or so if we can get decent market returns for another year.  But honestly, I wouldn't mind for it to crash and but some stocks on sale as we are still relatively young.   

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2017, 03:17:55 PM »
Canoe trip leg 3

That sounds fun - what river are you going back for more to?

The total trip is Hudson's Hope BC to Inuvik NWT (and now that  the new road is open probably Tuktoyutuk). Peace, Slave, and Mackenzie Rivers, a little along the coast of Great Slave Lake, and a tiny bit of Arctic Ocean if Tuktoyutuk works out.

Leg three is between Ft Vermilion AB and Fort Smith NWT. I'm hoping to do it in June, which is a little early, but selling the house that summer is priority and I don't want to list it, then take off and be out of contact for 2+ weeks mid-summer. Plus my dad really wants to come on this leg too and he's busy late June through late July.

Here are some pics from leg 2 if you are curious.
https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/six-months-to-go!/msg1669423/#msg1669423

asauer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2017, 06:45:30 AM »
I always set 1-3 "Impossible" goals for the year.  2017 was "do an ultramarathon"- did it!  So...2018.  Here are my 3 Impossible goals:
1. Grow my 'stache by 150k (only 70k of that will come from job salaries)
2. Do a half marathon every month
3. Get promoted at work (I've only worked here a year so it feel impossible)

Not really sure how I will do this but I'm smart and I can learn stuff so I'll figure it out.

haypug16

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2017, 10:18:09 AM »
Never too early to start setting goals for the upcoming year! I love goals. Here are mine for 2018;

1. Pay off all Credit Debt (looking like April)
2. Max out 401k by year end
3. Reach $50k in Retirement accounts
4. Get yearly expenses to $21,600 or less ($1,800 per month)
5. Ride bike to work

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2017, 05:24:50 PM »
I will be FIREd up about being FIREd.! I'm a fresh FIRE from the Class of 2017.

I am still in a haze to what the day to day activities will be, but I am planning some cool trips. I've tip-toed into looking at some volunteer things in the community, but haven't figured out what I'd like to do yet.

I need to roll over my pre-tax and post-tax 401k to an existing IRA and Roth IRAs. I'm trying to decide whether to put it with my other accounts in Ameritrade or go directly with Vanguard.

I need to finally set up my guest room for guests. I have other home organization projects to work on.

Tying in to the travel planned, it is mostly active stuff so I am currently and will continue on into 2018, ramp up my exercise routines. So far the ski prep is going well.

I may need to swap out my high maintenance, although economical to drive, car. I'd like to find a gently used Honda, NIssan, or Toyota to replace it.

I hope to continue to help my elderly parents who aren't doing too well and need some attention.

TheWifeHalf

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2017, 06:19:00 PM »
I have to stain and finish the cupboard upstairs that's destined to hold my quilt fabric. When that's finished we have to finish staining and finishing the stairs.
Oh, TheHusbandHalf said he's going to retire on Jan 4, 1919 so I suppose there will be things to do to ready for that.

Slow road to freedom

• Bristles
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2017, 11:11:06 PM »
Oh, TheHusbandHalf said he's going to retire on Jan 4, 1919 so I suppose there will be things to do to ready for that.

That feels ambitious to me, but time travel should be within the grasp of MMMers. After all, we are not mere mortals. Good luck to TheHusbandHalf in his quest.

Loren Ver

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
  • I Retired. Yah!
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2017, 09:39:20 AM »
I'm in!  Some things that will happen and something that will be big stretches based on history.

Goals for me:
Max out all tax advantaged accounts for the first time for both adults! (HSA, ROTH, 401Ks).

Rock my new job role by being engaged, actively learning, and always helpful.

Super stretch - finish the dining room/kitchen renovation.  It was started, 2-3 years ago.  The big stuff got done, but the little stuff is being ignored (base molding, touch up painting, caulking etc).

Odd stretch - Get DH in shape.  He said he wants to do it.  I'll make the plan and provide the expertise if he will put in the effort.  My part of the goal is to make sure I am providing the right level of challenge to keep him motivated.

NevermindScrooge

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • At least weird is not boring
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2017, 10:20:46 AM »
I love lists!

My plans for 2018 are:

- buy a house in the vicinity of some woods*
- dig up my running shoes and start running in those woods
- start a garden! (the house will be chosen to have a garden so I can grow raspberries**)
- get promoted at work (or find a new job if the bullying boss doesn't start behaving)***

*we are already making progress; we have found a house that ticks all the boxes, we only need to start bidding *nervous*
** and all kinds of other lovely fruit and veg of course. But my first 'adoption' will be a raspberry bush :-)
*** there are other job opportunities for me in the area and my SO loves his stable job. I think it will be low risk to buy a house now

Livingthedream55

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2017, 10:49:31 AM »
February - April: Volunteer as a tax preparer for low-income families.
April: Make last payment for daughter's college.
May: Take said daughter on celebratory trip from USA to London (her 21st birthday)
Year Long: Bulk up the emergency fund in the hopes of maybe FIReing in 2018 instead on 2019.
Year Long: Continue with healthy eating/exercise/ weight loss (lost 30 pounds in 2017 so far!)

Livingthedream55

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2017, 10:52:02 AM »
I love lists!

My plans for 2018 are:

- buy a house in the vicinity of some woods*
- dig up my running shoes and start running in those woods
- start a garden! (the house will be chosen to have a garden so I can grow raspberries**)
- get promoted at work (or find a new job if the bullying boss doesn't start behaving)***

*we are already making progress; we have found a house that ticks all the boxes, we only need to start bidding *nervous*
** and all kinds of other lovely fruit and veg of course. But my first 'adoption' will be a raspberry bush :-)
*** there are other job opportunities for me in the area and my SO loves his stable job. I think it will be low risk to buy a house now

Sending you good MMM vibes for your dream house!! : 0 )

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2017, 11:11:09 AM »
My ONLY priority goal for 2018 is to sell my rental house. I call this Freedom phase 2 (Phase 1 of course being FIRE).

Other secondary goals are:
Continuing to get in better shape
Canoe trip leg 3
Max TFSA

I forgot anther one!

Build outrigger sailing canoe

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2017, 11:22:48 AM »
My big things in 2018:

We need DH to get cured from his knee problem. It could take up to a year, so it should definitively not take more than the end of 2018. As he is injured for half a year already, he might get better in sommer 2018.

Save 96K USD, in today's dollar course.
Depending on the parameters in my FIRE excel sheet and my calculations being correct, this might mean that we can start working 50% in 2019 and retire a year later.

Getting the previous owner of our house sued to pay for repair for the faulty drainage system that he built himself. So that we can bring the clown house in a good state to sell without loss.

Get a good financial deal with the neighbours from whom we are since a month receiving warm water straight into our CV, without a contract in place. The goal is to save 50% or more on what we spend on warm water (floor heating and shower). This percentage was promised and confirmed by email by previous owner of house. Otherwise, sue him for that too.

Starting to earn a bit of money with a side-gig that is my hobby. This is in the order of maximum 1100 USD a year to stay below having to pay income tax.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2017, 12:49:32 AM by Linda_Norway »

ardrum

• Stubble
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2017, 11:53:06 AM »
I want to hit $100k net worth in 2018, which is extremely doable even if the market drops a ton next year.

NevermindScrooge

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • At least weird is not boring
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2017, 12:19:57 PM »
Thank you Livingthedream55! I was just thinking that I felt a pleasant tingling in my house muscles ;-)

Hope you and your daughter have a nice trip to the UK!

Slow road to freedom

• Bristles
« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2017, 01:58:00 PM »
May: Take said daughter on celebratory trip from USA to London (her 21st birthday)

I love lists too!

Enjoy London in May - if you'd like something organised PM me - I'm in London every week :-)

Livingthedream55

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2017, 07:01:11 AM »

I love lists too!

Enjoy London in May - if you'd like something organised PM me - I'm in London every week :-)

Thank you - very kind!

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2017, 07:19:21 AM »
RETIREMENT!!!!  :D

davisgang90

• Handlebar Stache
    • Photography by Rich Davis
« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2017, 09:34:30 AM »
Spring - buy home in Roanoke, VA
June 15th - retirement ceremony from the Navy
June 16th-Aug 30 - Temporary additional duty and terminal leave
1 Sep - official retirement

kaypinkHH

• Pencil Stache
    • My first Journal!
« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2017, 12:43:30 PM »
2018 will be a big year of change.

1. Having our first baby May 2018!!
2. Selling our HCOL home, closes end of Jan 2018, moving into a Lower COL area home (and cheaper home) hopefully in Jan 2018.
3. Liquidating assets from HCOL home. Deciding what we want to do with some of it now that we have maxed out tax advantaged accounts.
4. Mr.HH starts a new job, and before I leave for Mat leave, plan to save an additional ~20k just from his income in the few months we will have a dual income. (We live on one income and save the rest..and then some). Goal would be to have a savings of 50k this year, even with 1 income for 2/3rd of the year.

Smaller things: Having a garden!

itchyfeet

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2017, 12:52:01 PM »
Man I feel inadequate. Well done to all of you highly motivated folk.

I have no goals for 2018, and have extremely vague notions of what I’ll do when I FIRE in 2019.

In January ill have my annual performance review and will be asked yet again “where do you see your career heading?” I’ll have to lie again.

I am really just treading water for now, waiting for what comes next.

I have been in this frozen stasis for the past year or two. Waiting, day dreaming of life post FIRE. I still don’t know what I’ll do with my time when I am free of corporate slavery.

What I really want for 2018 is to find the energy to stop waiting and to start driving my life forward again. I used to be so driven. Now I am so lazy.... and have piled on so much wait over the past 3 years....purely a bi-product of not having somewhere important to be, sojust lazing on the sofa.

I am not sure what “stopping waiting” entails, but it will certainly mean less time lying on the sofa watching tv and faffing on the net. Maybe my goal for 2018 will be to sit on my sofa less than 7 hours per week. I prob spent 7 hours there today alone.

I think what I would like to do is to start to build a small hustle for post FIRE that will keep the mind busy, and maybe spin a few bob.

I want to come up with something where I have more or lessfull control of the hours. Even better would be a hustle where I have a hustle partner or partners to engage with. I get energised from sharing ideas and working in a team..... hmmm.... how to trigger that lightbulb moment??

On the being very fat side of things, it’s prob time to address that too.

Getting off the sofa would do the trick I am sure.... but I prob need some sort of physical challenge to work towards as well. DW and I cycled from Germany to Budapest last summer, which was awesome, but it was flat and I didn’t need to be in shape...luckily....

Maybe I need to find a nice long hilly cycle tour for next summer. Ideas anyone? We’d prob ride 60-100kms a day for 2-3 weeks, so a ride of around 1,000 to 1,500kms.... not massively hilly mind, and no massive mountain ranges, but not pancake flat either. I want to be mildly scared of what I am committing to, but confident we will enjoy the journey and not suffer too much... just remember I am very out of shape and whilst DW is in great shape, she doesn’t have a lot of time for long bike rides during the week. She mainly runs for fitness (my knees are to shot to join her) and does a bit of yoga. We’d prob need to rent the touring bikes too. I don’t think we’re willing to invest in touring bikes.... but it’s possible...We have old road bikes for training on, but they’re not suited to carrying gear nor touring at a relaxed pace.

runbikerun

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #29 on: December 09, 2017, 03:25:46 AM »
Itchyfeet: if you enjoy cycling and you want to lose weight, I'd suggest going in the opposite direction to a long and leisurely cycle tour. You'll get better and more lasting results by absolutely drilling yourself into the ground for short periods than by doing long rides at a comfortable pace. Doing high-intensity interval sessions will have the biggest effect:  you can get a turbo trainer for about a hundred dollars (probably less secondhand), pick a training video on YouTube, and just follow the instructions. And instead of a long and relaxed biking tour, find a duathlon with a relay option and focus on doing the 20k or 40k as fast as you can physically manage so your wife has the biggest possible advantage for the final leg.

That said,  I'm a huge fan of discomfort. It's how I know I'm pushing myself: otherwise I find it way too easy to slip into lazy habits.

My goals for 2018 are partially work-related, partially FIRE-related, and partially fitness-related:
1: finish the graduate diploma I signed up for through work, and do well enough to convince my bosses to finance the additional modules in 2019 that will convert it to a full MSc;
2: get bored in work. I was told by a boss some time ago that I should move roles every 18 months unless I found something I wanted to spend the rest of my life doing, as just about every non-professional role should be possible to learn in 18 months. If I find myself getting bored towards the end of 2018, that means I'm right on schedule and ready to look for the next challenge.
3: get to a large enough savings figure to cover six months' expenses independent of any state assistance, then meet with my workplace pensions advisor to max out my pension tax benefits.
4: knock another minute off my 10k time. I'm down to 42:49, which is already ahead of the sub-44 I wanted to get to by April 2018, so the new goal is 41:XX by this time next year.

Slow road to freedom

• Bristles
« Reply #30 on: December 09, 2017, 04:34:02 AM »
Itchyfeet: if you enjoy cycling and you want to lose weight, I'd suggest going in the opposite direction to a long and leisurely cycle tour.

I agree. I used to run but when my body said ‘no more’ - well, my feet screamed that - I took up spinning to get the aerobic fix. Mixing exercise with music works for me, and I find it a very efficient way of keeping fit. Once / week is fine for base fitness, more = I usually feel likely a finely tuned athlete. Plus it’s social, which is more encouraging than being lonely in the gym.

I’m not a gym bunny, can you tell?

Good luck finding something you are interested in.

itchyfeet

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #31 on: December 09, 2017, 10:02:42 AM »
Itchyfeet: if you enjoy cycling and you want to lose weight, I'd suggest going in the opposite direction to a long and leisurely cycle tour.

I agree. I used to run but when my body said ‘no more’ - well, my feet screamed that - I took up spinning to get the aerobic fix. Mixing exercise with music works for me, and I find it a very efficient way of keeping fit. Once / week is fine for base fitness, more = I usually feel likely a finely tuned athlete. Plus it’s social, which is more encouraging than being lonely in the gym.

I’m not a gym bunny, can you tell?

Good luck finding something you are interested in.

I also agree that the best way to lose weight is to smash oneself. And you are right, the long leisurely ride we did this year didn’t do much for our fitness. But I love riding, and the trip gave DW confidence to do another more challenging cycle tour. I want to follow up on last year’s success. But you are right, I need to man up and set my horizons a bit higher.

runbikerun

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #32 on: December 09, 2017, 10:10:53 AM »
There's nothing stopping you doing both - you could find a cheap turbo, bury yourself on it twice a week all spring, race a relay duathlon with your wife, and then head on your leisurely bike tour.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #33 on: December 09, 2017, 05:14:49 PM »
I'm excited about 2018! Here's what's on the list:

1) FIRE in June
2) Have a relaxing & fun summer with the kids
3) Run a half marathon (I've done 4 before, but not in a few years, and not with lupus.)
4) Save another $130K before I FIRE
5) Lose 15 lbs

kissthesky

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #34 on: December 09, 2017, 08:07:08 PM »
I'm going to make an attempt to sock away $100,000. I have No Idea how I will do it. I managed to set aside $72,000 this year so I may be able to make it happen. Second job, sell a kidney . . .

I love this goal. Count me in too! Hopefully kidneys will stay though.

Jenny Wren

• Pencil Stache
  • Just another dharma bum
« Reply #35 on: December 10, 2017, 09:46:49 AM »
What perfect timing for discovering this thread! I've been in goal setting mode the last few days:

1) Sock away 25% of our very modest income. Stretch goal is 30%.

2) Get the house ready  so it can be listed in spring 2019.

3) Lose the remaining 30 lbs of extra weight (I lost the first 25 this year).

4) Maintain my GPA so I don't lose any of my scholarships, since doing so would blow goal #1.

Jaayse

• Bristles
« Reply #36 on: December 10, 2017, 01:19:52 PM »
A few goals, hopefully all completed in 2018:

1) Hit 325k in my investments (at 225k right now, single person)

2) Sell my condo after the litigation ends and hopefully before any housing market fall

3) Re-designate to Human Resources Officer

4) Get into better shape

5) Travel a lot more of Europe while I'm living here without having too big of an impact on my savings

6) Max my TSP and IRA (combined total of 24k)

To be continued...
« Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 02:57:18 PM by Jaayse »

itchyfeet

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #37 on: December 10, 2017, 09:22:43 PM »
There's nothing stopping you doing both - you could find a cheap turbo, bury yourself on it twice a week all spring, race a relay duathlon with your wife, and then head on your leisurely bike tour.

Sounds like a good plan. We’d enjoy doing that together.

nawhite

• Handlebar Stache
    • The Reckless Choice
« Reply #38 on: December 11, 2017, 10:47:39 AM »
1) Selling our rental. We have rented it for 2 years so far and so this year we either sell it or lose the "primary residence exclusion" on capital gains taxes from the sale. It's looking to be about $30k in saved taxes by selling in 2018 vs later so this year it goes.

2) Starting a second job/personal business as a kayak instructor. My goal is $5000/year in revenue in the first year. Ideally I'm about 2-3 years from FIRE and I'd like to turn this into my "job" in "retirement". I know I'm going to have OMY syndrome bad so something like this will be great to have something to think about going to, instead of just thinking about leaving.

3) Volunteering more. I've done some with a couple organizations off and on over the past 10 years but usually just when things fell in my lap through a big work volunteer push or something. For 2018 I'm registered to volunteer with Junior Achievement (ja.org, financial education for kids) and trying to sign up with VITA (Income Tax prep help for low income people).

appleseed

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #39 on: December 11, 2017, 01:13:24 PM »
I've started think about my 2018 goals, too, so I'll post my initial thoughts.

1) max husband's SEP account (for 2017 and 2018 - once we get taxes together I'll know how much I can put in for 2017 and can  plan for 2018)

2) increase my freelance income /start corresponding SEP account for me

3) Reduce student loans from current $24900 to under $10,000 by end of 2018

4) Consolidate belongings and declutter - and help my mom/in laws do the same

5) Every month complete a creative project that's in progress that's stalled (mostly sewing projects)

6) Travel to new museums, parks, etc using discounts/passes/library benefits/NARM/ASTEC so affordable but interesting for adults and kids

7) Start couch to 5k again in spring (last time I completed and ran a 5k was 2 years ago before getting pregnant with my 3rd child); by end of year run a 10k

8) read more books than 2017 (currently at 36, probably 3-4 more this year)

9) Write more letters (real ones, not email)

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

littlelykke

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #40 on: December 11, 2017, 02:57:28 PM »
We will be moving in 2018. So our priority will be with moving and fixing up that house.

Apart from that, our goal is to pay down 10,000 on our mortgage. We'll end up with a slightly bigger mortgage than we'd like, so we'll use 2018 to free up some extra budget in the future, by making some extra payments.
But, we don't want our savings 'buffer' to shrink, so we'll try to keep that at the level it's currently at.

And with that, we're good. If we stick to our budget, this should be realistic and achievable.

zeli2033

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #41 on: December 11, 2017, 08:36:33 PM »
Goals for 2018:

1) Max out DH's and my 401ks and Roth IRAs; stretch to include HSA but we'll see
2) Reduce Student Loans from ~$64k to less than $40k
3) Choose next fitness goal to accomplish

Carrie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #42 on: December 11, 2017, 08:57:12 PM »
I would love to see networth hit 1mil.
I hope to get one major home project done (cash of course)
I want to spend more time making things - furniture,  home improvements, garden, clothes, quilts.
Several smaller money goals: roll an old retirement account, figure out allocation, maybe drum up some self employed income to fund an individual 401k .
Mostly just want to enjoy my family, live frugally, be kind, entertain & cook for neighbors & friends.

frizzywhiskers

• Stubble
« Reply #43 on: December 11, 2017, 09:27:49 PM »
So FIRED up for 2018 - goals for the year are:

- Reach $1M Net Worth - January 2018
- Pay off the Mortgage - September 2018
- Enjoy 3 Fun Vacations this year - skiing, Vegas, Hawaii
- Focus on my health and gratitude this year

Llewellyn2006

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #44 on: December 12, 2017, 03:15:51 AM »
At the beginning of every year I make a list of goals and I go back and assess how I did with the previous years. My list for 2018 so far is:

1. Keep our savings rate over 50% every month.
2. Reduce my weight to below 73kg and keep it there.
3. Spend less time on the internet.
4. I've also had enough of one of my business colleagues so I'll be leaving the company at the end of 2018.
5. I'm going to start my own Swedish Death Cleaning programme

There'll be others that I think of before the end of this year.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2017, 03:20:03 AM by Llewellyn2006 »

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #45 on: December 12, 2017, 03:59:18 AM »
<...>
5. I'm going to start my own Swedish Death Cleaning programme

There I learned a new expression. This is what a lot of people on this site are already doing and calling it decluttering and minimizing. I try to do it as well, but it is not a clear goal for me, just a project.

Loren Ver

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
  • I Retired. Yah!
« Reply #46 on: December 13, 2017, 12:55:37 PM »
I love that there are people posting here that are going to be catching FIRE in 2018.  That is sooo totally awesome!

:D.

LV

GnomeErcy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #47 on: December 13, 2017, 01:47:37 PM »
Goal is to be earning $600/mo more than today to help work toward 2019 goals :) If we can do that I'll be a happy camper. Haven't had compensation reviews or anything yet to know what next year will look like so this might be too low, or we might need to work on it a bit if they don't go very well.

appleseed

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #48 on: December 18, 2018, 10:44:31 AM »
I've started think about my 2018 goals, too, so I'll post my initial thoughts.

1) max husband's SEP account (for 2017 and 2018 - once we get taxes together I'll know how much I can put in for 2017 and can  plan for 2018)

5) Every month complete a creative project that's in progress that's stalled (mostly sewing projects)

6) Travel to new museums, parks, etc using discounts/passes/library benefits/NARM/ASTEC so affordable but interesting for adults and kids

7) Start couch to 5k again in spring (last time I completed and ran a 5k was 2 years ago before getting pregnant with my 3rd child); by end of year run a 10k

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk
So how did everyone do? I realized this list was the most detailed I made for goals this year, so I went back to sum up progress.

- on track for these to max 2018 sep before April.

- this one has been a huge accomplishment this year, and I'm happy to  report my success!

- I'll send an extra $1k at the end of the year to meet this one.

- gave a lot of baby stuff away. Still have a lot to do next year.

- working has made this difficult, but I'm hopeful with planning and organization, I'll be more successful in 2019.

- did a lot of this during the summer. Saved a ton on museums and kid activities and kept everyone entertained.

- on week 6 of 5k to 10k, but pretty won't finish until early January.

- completely failed. Read some good books, but need to find the reading mojo again.

- also failed. Will try again in 2019

If you're reading this post, how'd you do on your goals?

frizzywhiskers

• Stubble
« Reply #49 on: December 18, 2018, 08:20:20 PM »
So FIRED up for 2018 - goals for the year are:

- Reach $1M Net Worth - January 2018
- Pay off the Mortgage - September 2018
- Enjoy 3 Fun Vacations this year - skiing, Vegas, Hawaii
- Focus on my health and gratitude this year

Thanks for reviving this post!  I was feeling down today but after rereading my goals from a year ago I have a lot to be proud of! 

- Reach $1M Net Worth - January 2018 - Success!  Almost at 1.3 M net worth!
- Pay off the Mortgage - September 2018 -Success! Mortgage Mutilated!
- Enjoy 3 Fun Vacations this year - skiing, Vegas, Hawaii - partial success!  Hawaii didn’t happen due to family pet becoming ill!
- Focus on my health and gratitude this year - work in progress always!