Author Topic: 2018 Financial Goals  (Read 23784 times)

vikingtantan

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: 2018 Financial Goals
« Reply #50 on: April 12, 2018, 04:54:03 AM »
My main financial goals are:

1. Save 10,000 into my emergency fund for when I move back home.
2. Save 10,000 to travel before I "settle down" again.

I probably won't use up all the travel money, because I do plan on working while I'm traveling. I just want a nice cushion of money there for peace of mind. Any extra left over will be used to replenish the emergency fund or open a Vanguard account (cause apparently you can't do that when you live abroad).

Good luck to everyone else on their financial goals this year.

As of 4/8/18, I've complete saving 10k into an emergency fund. Accomplished much 4 months earlier than I anticipated. :)

BeautifulDay

• Bristles
« Reply #51 on: April 13, 2018, 07:31:28 PM »
2018 goals

1. Save EF of $13000 - top priority. (4 months spending -or 3 months plus an AC replacement) replaced the AC last month.  Have a 2 month EF
2. Save $9000 for side business by July. And set up legal stuff/website for business. found out this week that we are coming into a very unexpected windfall soon.  That should cover most of out start up capital.
3. Make a will havent started
4. Max Roth IRA and Open DH's Roth IRA. in progress
5. Keep monthly expenses to $3700 or lower - work with DH on strategies to lower this further. not been doing well here
6. Camp 1 weekend per month in April thru October. yes in March but not yet in April
7. Increase networth from $130k to $170k not making much progress
8. Keep resume up to date.  Might be necessary this year.
9. No new clothes just for the sake of new clothes.  Replacements only for clothes that are beyond repair. mostly good here

Making Cents

• Stubble
« Reply #52 on: April 15, 2018, 10:45:54 AM »
A bit late to this party, but hopefully posting my list and progress will help keep me on track!

1. Max HSA (done! Unfortunately Congress decreased the family maximum AFTER I maxed it, so we still need to put back $50!)
2. Max 2017 IRA contributions for me and DH before April 16 (done!) and our 2018 IRA contributions ASAP (in progress)
3. Cash out DH's whole life insurance policy begun by his father and invest the surrender value (in progress)
4. Reach $10k this calendar year in bank/credit card bonuses and rewards for me and DH (so far on track to pass 5k mark next month)
5. Bank a minimum of 3k each month (so far so good - ranging from $3600 to over 6k)
6. Rebuild emergency savings (depleted from medical expenses) to at least 30k
7. Increase my optional retirement plan contributions by 1k/mo once emergency fund goal is met
8. Pay for badly needed new garage roof and back fence repairs, using all DIY labor with help from neighbors/friends
9. Monitor federal tax situation to ensure we don't jump brackets from 12% to 22% due to DH overtime and extra interest income
10. Keep using my new grocery price comparison spreadsheet to cut monthly groceries by at least half (we are starting from a shocking level I'm too embarrassed to disclose, so this shouldn't be hard to do!)
11. Work with colleagues to keep up pressure on employer to address salaries/promotions that have not kept pace with inflation after salary study showed us 20% below peer institutions!
12. Participate in community yard sale next month and get rid of the junk in my attic once and for all!
13. Reward my patient DH's support in all this by taking him on a fly-fishing trip he has been wanting using cc points for lodging cost

Salim

• Handlebar Stache
  • over the hills
« Reply #53 on: April 17, 2018, 03:05:43 PM »
1. Pay off credit card bills  Done.
2. Rebuild emergency fund to $2K This is a long way off at this point.
3. Buy minimal clothing Doing well on this one.
4. Get my artwork into 1 or 2 galleries and start selling Making some progress.
5. Create and implement art website with shopping cart Site should be up in a day or two.
6. Increase net worth by $40K Epic fail so far. Stock market fell a lot and we took out a loan to pay a big tax bill. We have cut spending and are working on increasing income.

haflander

• Bristles
« Reply #54 on: April 17, 2018, 03:23:12 PM »
I'm late but I love this! 1 was easy, but 2 and 3 will be difficult. I may have to choose one or the other, we'll see.

1. Pay off student loans. Done
2. Fully fund E/FU fund to 17,500. Currently 6250
3. Pay off stupid truck loan. Currently 10,500

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #55 on: April 17, 2018, 07:20:49 PM »
Couple of goals
--Increase RRSP savings from 17,500 to 23,000   (Already at $27,325)
--Increase TFSA (also my EFund) from 700--8000 (This will be the focus next! Currently at $865.. hours are down at work for the next 2 months but will try to keep spending really low so I can bump this up a couple notches)

Also would love to buy a canoe :) This is on hold--we are trying to avoid any major purchases but might borrow/rent one for a week long trip
« Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 10:27:46 AM by Serendip »

haypug16

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #56 on: April 23, 2018, 01:27:11 PM »
Oh man I wish I had seen this challenge back in Dec 2017. Anyway here are my goals for this year.

1. Pay off Credit Cards - Done
2. Pay down $10,000 in Student Loans - $3,656.83 so far
3. Increase 401k contribution to 25% - currently at 6% next increase will be in May
4. Get FIRE accounts to $50,000 - $31,320.37 so far, got a long way to go on this one.
5. Min 50% savings rate - current average is 56.74%

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #57 on: April 23, 2018, 01:39:28 PM »
Hit the double comma NW club!.  everything else is pretty simple  and on autopilot

adamsputnik

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #58 on: April 23, 2018, 03:00:20 PM »
  • pay off all debt
  • increase EF to about 3 months worth of expenses ~ $6000
  • increase 401k contribution to 20% of salary

Making Cents

• Stubble
« Reply #59 on: April 26, 2018, 03:53:19 PM »
Congrats, boarder42!

1. Max HSA
2. Max 2017 IRA contributions for me and DH before April 16 and our 2018 IRA contributions (just ticked this one off)
3. Cash out DH's whole life insurance policy begun by his father and invest the surrender value (done!)
4. Reach $10k this calendar year in bank/credit card bonuses and rewards for me and DH (still on track)
5. Bank a minimum of 3k each month (still on track though barely squeaking by this month)
6. Rebuild emergency savings (growing nicely)
7. Increase my optional retirement plan contributions by 1k/mo once emergency fund goal is met (Done!)
8. Pay for badly needed new garage roof and back fence repairs, using all DIY labor with help from neighbors/friends (pricing out and ordering)
9. Monitor federal tax situation to ensure we don't jump brackets from 12% to 22% due to DH overtime and extra interest income (so far so good)
10. Keep using my new grocery price comparison spreadsheet to cut monthly groceries by at least half (using my price book diligently but not quite making the mark yet... with freezer stocking I expect to see more savings as the year goes on)
11. Work with colleagues to keep up pressure on employer to address salaries/promotions that have not kept pace with inflation (salary report drafted and filed, plans underway for talks with higher ups - I'm not holding my breath but we are doing what we can)
12. Participate in community yard sale next month and get rid of the junk in my attic once and for all!
13. Reward my patient DH's support in all this by taking him on a fly-fishing trip he has been wanting using cc points for lodging cost

Edited to cross off #7 cause I just bit the bullet and increased my ORP contributions by $1/k. Earlier than my plan called for! Boom! (*Drops the mic*)
« Last Edit: April 27, 2018, 10:13:38 AM by Making Cents »

JonnyFromCanada

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #60 on: April 29, 2018, 10:39:20 AM »
May 2018 -> January 1st, 2019
1. Pay off lawyer: ($1000 in visa fees, and $1200 in lawyer fees)
2. Buy two bicycles
3. Keep savings rate at 10% (Plus 5% employer match, so 15%)
3. Pay off my line of credit: $6180

Once we get established in our new town and the wife finds a job there, by 2019, we should be able to bump up our savings rate.

OurTown

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #61 on: May 08, 2018, 09:43:06 AM »
Okay, so we blew past $600k net worth.  We will likely hit $650k by Dec. 31.  Maybe an additional goal could be $500k invested by Dec. 31, currently at $463.5k. 

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #62 on: May 23, 2018, 08:50:14 AM »

My 2018 Financial Goals

1. Save every penny of my SS every month - to reach my goal of $50K by Dec 2019.
2. Save $200 from Jan to July to boost my travel fund  - for a combination bucket list trip to Europe and seeing my Mom on her 90th birthday.

I must become a badass MMMer for at least the next seven months to meet all my goals. May start a new journal to help me stay on track.

3. Find a way to bring in at least an extra $300 a month for nine months, Jan-July and Sep to Oct 2018.
4. Keep paying off the credit cards each month - no credit card debt allowed.

5. Challenge - full throttle STOP buying jewelry. Period! - I cannot afford to buy a thing all year unless it is on the approved budget list or a planned expense!

PROGRESS REPORT:
Goal #1 - yes - I am saving every penny of my SS. ON TRACK!
Goal #2 - travel fund - bucket list trip - funding almost complete - leaving late July:) YAY!

3. $300 avg extra income a month: Yes, but funded differently, $300 bank bonus, $246 tax return, $597 tax return - pending,
   $1200 payback received on a loan.
4. YES - credit cards are paid off in full each month.

5. Challenge - no jewelry buying: Caved once in April - hoping to make it through the rest of May, June and July.
After that, I may set new/different criteria.

Wow, I surprised myself to see that I'm really sticking to my goals, but with a lot more whining and heavy sighing than I've ever done before, which is not good. These are all rather ambitious goals to embark on all at the same time.
When I return from my trip at the end of Sep - I'll re-evaluate, but for now, I simply must stick to the plan.

I already know that next year I will take on only one goal - which hopefully will go a long way toward avoiding the level of financial anxiety that I am putting myself through at the moment - I can't see the trees for the forest.

SansSkill

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #63 on: May 23, 2018, 09:45:52 AM »
Bit late to the party, but I figured I'd put the goals I set in 2017 as well as those I set in the meantime here.

Saving goals:
1) Emergency fund (5k).
2) Pay tuition up front (~2k, due September)
3) Start saving for house.

Investment goals:
4) Investment account (6k, low cost world stock index).
5) Investment account (3k, trade options as a hobby).

Milestone goals:
6) 10k.
7) 15k.

I currently put €500,- to the top savings goal and €500,- to the top investment goal a month. Whenever my checking account grows too much I move a multiple of €500,- to the first unmet goal, in order of #1, #2, #5, #4.

Currently on track to achieve #1 in June, and #2 potentially in July but probably August.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #64 on: May 24, 2018, 07:20:16 AM »
Here's our status.
1) Fully fund both 401Ks - $37K - done
2) Yearly max to both kids college accounts - $28K - $3800, so far.
3) Save an extra $150K before I quit my job - we moved backward on this one slightly, as our tax bill was even higher than expected. Having to now make up lost ground. We're at $61,415.
4) Keep travel budget to $7K - On track for originally planned trips, but when I decided to stay at work a bit longer, added a trip to Hawaii for extra motivation. That will push us over.
5) Earn another $1K selling random stuff on eBay - at $950. Crushing it!
6) Stick to budget overall - yes, on track.

haypug16

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #65 on: May 24, 2018, 10:18:13 AM »
1. Pay off Credit Cards -Done
2. Pay down $10,000 in Student Loans - $6,096.61 more than half way there and it's only May :) I was able to make some extra payments the last couple months so hopefully I can still keep the good momentum
3. Increase 401k contribution to 25% - at 8%, increasing every month as I adjust my budget. Will go up to 10% in June. I hope to make a big jump up by the fall.
4. Get FIRE accounts to $50,000 - $31,975.50 - small increase from last month but should start seeing this go up more and more
5. Min 50% savings rate - current average is 59.05%, not bad at all

Making Cents

• Stubble
« Reply #66 on: June 02, 2018, 04:44:46 PM »

1. Max HSA
2. Max 2017 IRA contributions for me and DH before April 16 and our 2018 IRA contributions
3. Cash out DH's whole life insurance policy begun by his father and invest the surrender value
4. Reach $10k this calendar year in bank/credit card bonuses and rewards for me and DH (just passed halfway mark)
5. Bank a minimum of 3k each month (sort of failed this in May... i say sort of because I made it if i count the added 1k now going to 401k and I still have well above 3k/mo average for the year)
6. Rebuild emergency savings (still on track)
7. Increase my optional retirement plan contributions by 1k/mo once emergency fund goal is met
8. Pay for badly needed new garage roof and back fence repairs, using all DIY labor wasted ith help from neighbors/friends (under construction!)
9. Monitor federal tax situation to ensure we don't jump brackets from 12% to 22% due to DH overtime and extra interest income
10. Keep using my new grocery price comparison spreadsheet to cut monthly groceries by at least half (set a household record low in May)
11. Work with colleagues to keep up pressure on employer to address salaries/promotions that have not kept pace with inflation (still trying to get employer to recognize that inflation exists and flat rate raises unchanged since 1990s are insufficient)
12. Participate in community yard sale next month and get rid of the junk in my attic once and for all! (not terribly profitable, but we got rid of all unnecessary crap so who cares!)

BeautifulDay

• Bristles
« Reply #67 on: June 05, 2018, 10:12:44 PM »
2018 goals

1. Save EF of $13000 - top priority. (4 months spending -or 3 months plus an AC replacement) replaced the AC.  Have a 2.5 month EF
2. Save $9000 for side business by July. And set up legal stuff/website for business. equipment purchased thanks to a gift from my parents. Still need to set up the business info and start production.
4. Max Roth IRA and Open DH's Roth IRA. in progress
5. Keep monthly expenses to $3700 or lower - work with DH on strategies to lower this further. not been doing well here
6. Camp 1 weekend per month in April thru October. yes for May. Guess I need to plan something for June this will be tough with other commitments this month
7. Increase networth from $130k to $170k $145k not too bad all things considered. Our biggest expenses this year are paid. So we might still be on track. 
8. Keep resume up to date.  Might be necessary this year.
9. No new clothes just for the sake of new clothes.  Replacements only for clothes that are beyond repair. Seems like almost everything I own has ripped.  Had lots of replacements I needed to buy.  But I haven't really gone beyond what I needed to purchase so mostly a success.

BeautifulDay

• Bristles
« Reply #68 on: June 05, 2018, 10:26:20 PM »
Goal #2 - travel fund - bucket list trip - funding almost complete - leaving late July:) YAY!

I already know that next year I will take on only one goal - which hopefully will go a long way toward avoiding the level of financial anxiety that I am putting myself through at the moment - I can't see the trees for the forest.

Congrats on all your success.  Sounds like you are on your way to lowering your financial anxiety.  I was having a lot of financial anxieties and I had to massively change my finances.  Thankfully I was able to turn that corner this year and you're gonna get there too.  So nice to lower that stress level.

So where are you headed? I have my own dream trip to Germany planned for September but only get to stay a week.  Sounds like you're there July to September.  I wish I could stay that long.  That's my FIRE dream.

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #69 on: June 12, 2018, 08:08:28 AM »

My 2018 Financial Goals

1. Save every penny of my SS every month - to reach my goal of $50K by Dec 2019.
2. Save $200 from Jan to July to boost my travel fund  - for a combination bucket list trip to Europe and seeing my Mom on her 90th birthday.

I must become a badass MMMer for at least the next seven months to meet all my goals. May start a new journal to help me stay on track.

3. Find a way to bring in at least an extra $300 a month for nine months, Jan-July and Sep to Oct 2018.
4. Keep paying off the credit cards each month - no credit card debt allowed.

5. Challenge - full throttle STOP buying jewelry. Period! - I cannot afford to buy a thing all year unless it is on the approved budget list or a planned expense!

PROGRESS REPORT:
Goal #1 - yes - I am saving every penny of my SS. ON TRACK! $20K reached - halting until Oct.
Goal #2 - travel fund - bucket list trip - funding almost complete - leaving late July:) YAY! $10K - DONE!

3. $300 avg extra income a month: Yes, but funded differently, $300 bank bonus, $246 tax return, $597 tax return - pending,
   $1200 payback received on a loan.
4. YES - credit cards are paid off in full each month. - seeing that -0- balance gives me a feeling of control over my finances!

5. Challenge - no jewelry buying: Caved once in April - hoping to make it through the rest of May, June and July. YAY - I broke the habit!:)
After that, I may set new/different criteria.

Wow, I surprised myself to see that I'm really sticking to my goals, but with a lot more whining and heavy sighing than I've ever done before, which is not good. These are all rather ambitious goals to embark on all at the same time.
When I return from my trip at the end of Sep - I'll re-evaluate, but for now, I simply must stick to the plan.

1. I am super excited - two goals reached!!! Yay me:)
Goal #2 - $10K saved for trip! and Goal #5 - broke that jewelry buying habit! DONE!!!

2. Goal #4 - still paying off credit cards each month! A zero balance once a month is a powerful reminder that I am in control of my finances!

3. Overall on track halfway through 2018!

Salim

• Handlebar Stache
  • over the hills
« Reply #70 on: June 12, 2018, 08:32:04 AM »
Fantastic work, Rosie!

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #71 on: June 12, 2018, 11:49:46 AM »
Here's our status.
2) Yearly max to both kids college accounts - $28K - $4000, so far.
3) Save an extra $150K before I quit my job - we moved backward on this, as we had a bigger tax bill than expected (property sale) & decided to upgrade our electrical & paneling & install air conditioning. We are now at $38K
4) Keep travel budget to $7K - On track for originally planned trips, but when I decided to stay at work a bit longer, added a trip to Hawaii for extra motivation. That will push us over.
5) Earn another $1K selling random stuff on eBay - at $990. Crushing it!
6) Stick to budget overall - yes, on track.

shinn497

• Bristles
« Reply #72 on: June 12, 2018, 06:27:33 PM »
Here are mine :

1) Pay off all debts - -5300
2) 5K emergency fund - 300
3) 5700 in retirement accounts (6000 Stretch)- 2640
4) 4300 Car Savings - 0
5) 1200 Travel Savings  - 0
6) Make an extra 500$ outside of work (1000$ Stretch) - 0

shinn497

• Bristles
« Reply #73 on: June 15, 2018, 06:31:54 AM »
1) Pay off all debts - -3800
2) 5K emergency fund - 300
3) 5700 in retirement accounts (6000 Stretch)- 2640 (I need to recheck this one)
4) 4300 Car Savings - 0
5) 1200 Travel Savings  - 10

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #74 on: June 16, 2018, 01:33:54 PM »
Couple of goals
--Increase RRSP savings from 17,500 to 23,000  (at $28,000)
--Increase TFSA (also my EFund) from 700--8000 (at $4500)

Also would love to buy a canoe :) This is on hold--we are trying to avoid any major purchases but might borrow/rent one for a week long trip

Funny how I underestimated what would be possible. I've also started an investment account, currently only at $2000, but pretty happy with how things are going this year.

haflander

• Bristles
« Reply #75 on: June 26, 2018, 10:26:51 AM »
I'm late but I love this! 1 was easy, but 2 and 3 will be difficult. I may have to choose one or the other, we'll see.

Halfway through the year is a good time for an update everybody! I know there's a few days left but I also know my #s won't change in the next week.

2. Fully fund E/FU fund to 17,500. Currently 9000
3. Pay off stupid truck loan. Currently 7800

Progress in two months below. So obviously I'm giving equal priority to both. After quickly running the #s it looks like I would achieve #3 barely in time for 2018 and won't quite achieve #2, IF I keep going with the below #s for the rest of the year. However, I am sitting on a hail damage check for 1250 that would definitely put me over the top and achieve them both! Ie, if I decide to keep the cash. In any case, it'll feel great to be 100% debt free by the end of this year! I'm not a big fan of Dave Ramsey but maybe I'll think about calling in to his show to yell the "debt freedom" thing or whatever they do. I'm really looking forward to starting a tIRA or (backdoor?) Roth with Vanguard in January when I'm finished with the above. I'll be able to put everything extra there! I have a lot to learn about retirement accounts before that time.
2. 2750
3. 2700

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #76 on: June 26, 2018, 04:03:12 PM »
Updating to show current status:

1) FIRE May 2018.Done, both of us!
2) $16k plus employer match in wife's 401K.  Done.
3) $9k plus employer match in my 401K.  Done, plus a bit.
4) Sell old house.  Done!
5) Finish rehab of rental #3 and rent it.Less than a week to go! :)
6) Rehab mid-century modern and put house up for sale. Closing scheduled for Wednesday! :)
7) Keep non-rehab spending within $75k.Had to have two teeth extracted.  With surgery and implant costs, we'll go over spending by about $10k. 
8) Pay down mortgage by $10,150 (included in $75k).  on autopilot
9) Invest profits of house sales, leaving $150k for real estate investment. Bought 1 rental and 1 rental or flip.
10) Make $1k on art sales or teaching.Teaching scheduled for January of 2019.  Unlikely to sell any art work before end of year (because I haven't made much of anything, too busy with real estate).

2019 goals:

1) Stay FIRED.
2) Switch from COBRA insurance to ACA if cheaper.
3) Keep non-real estate investment spending within $75k.
4) Pay down mortgage by $10,400 (included in $75k).
5) Acquire 1 rental property, rehab it and rent it.
6) Fund 2 real estate flips for flip partner at 1-2% below market rates.  (And no, I'm not crazy.)
7) Set up self-employed 401k so we can reduce "income" by enough to qualify for ACA subsidy if that makes sense.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2018, 01:17:57 PM by SwordGuy »

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #77 on: June 29, 2018, 01:32:41 PM »
Here's our status.
2) Yearly max to both kids college accounts - $28K - $4000, so far.
3) Save an extra $150K before I quit my job - Finally made some progress - we're at $65.8K
4) Keep travel budget to $7K - We will definitely go over this. We added a family trip to Hawaii & an adult trip to Las Vegas (kids are at summer camp) to the agenda. We will need to cut back for next year.
5) Earn another $1K selling random stuff on eBay - at $990. Crushing it!
6) Stick to budget overall - yes, on track, minus the house category. We opted to put in air conditioning (which required a bunch of other electrical upgrades)

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #78 on: June 29, 2018, 03:56:07 PM »
1. Sell rental house Housing market is still crap. My tenants want to buy it and are looking into their financial ability to do so, but if they don't buy it this goal will have to be put off until next year, once again, sigh.
2. Max TFSA (barely a goal, just waiting until Jan 1 to move the money) Done!
3. Re-write will (ie: stop procrastinating) Done!

haypug16

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #79 on: July 12, 2018, 12:55:15 PM »
1. Pay off Credit Cards -Done
2. Pay down $10,000 in Student Loans - $6,978.51 (I think I'll actually hit $12K for the year)
3. Increase 401k contribution to 25% - up to 12% as of this month
4. Get FIRE accounts to $50,000 - $33,023.75 (still have a long way to go)
5. Min 50% savings rate - current average is 50.28%

A little less than half the year to go. Goals are looking pretty good, with the exception of the FIRE goal of $50K. Trying to figure out if there is any way I can still hit this goal but it's no looking good. It looks like I'll be closer to $40K than $50K.

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #80 on: July 15, 2018, 08:34:13 PM »
1.  Max out 403b.
2.  Max out 457.
3.  Max Roth IRA 2017.
4.  Max Roth IRA 2018.
5.  Get cash and investments up to $750K (now at $656K).
6.  Stretch goal.....strive for next BIG milestone in NW (now at $828K).
7.  Oh, yeah, RETIRE.

1.  Done ($24,500 put in this account--tax deferred)
2.  Done ($24,500 put in this account--tax deferred)
3.  Done (topped off my Roth (up to $6500) for 2017)
4.  Done ($6500 added to my Roth for 2018)
5.  Done (cash + investments now stands at $808K)
6.  Met my stretch goal (NW now stands at $1,005,800)
7.  DONE--retired on June 30.

:D

abhe8

• Bristles
« Reply #81 on: July 15, 2018, 09:05:15 PM »
Congrats!! Looks like you are due for some new goals.

zeli2033

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #82 on: July 22, 2018, 06:17:59 AM »
I love these goals-based threads so much! I enjoy the accountability that comes with putting it out there and making an honest effort to reach it.

Our 2018 Financial Goals:
1. Max 2018 Roth IRAs done!
2. Max HSA on track, set to auto
3. Max DH and DW 401Ks on track, set to auto
4. Get student loan below $35,000 currently at ~$55k, hard to be sure but still looks possible pending a few work-related changes on DH’s part
5. Reach positive net worth for the first time! Hopefully reach NW of $40,000+ reached positive net worth for the first time ever this month!! Based on how it’s tracking, I’m hoping to still hit net worth goals for the year
6. Save at least $60,000 across various accounts at roughly $47k so far

Time to check in! I’m pretty pleased with where we are at just over the halfway point. Hopefully we can keep it up!

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #83 on: July 22, 2018, 09:03:05 AM »
Found a good property sooner than expected. :)

Updating to show current status:

1) FIRE May 2018.Done, both of us!
2) $16k plus employer match in wife's 401K.  Done.
3) $9k plus employer match in my 401K.  Done, plus a bit.
4) Sell old house.  Done!
5) Finish rehab of rental #3 and rent it.Making good progress, done by end of August.
6) Rehab mid-century modern and put house up for sale. (Probable sale in 2019.)  Under contract, as is, pending buyer's sale of their current house.  2nd buyer in the wings.
7) Keep non-rehab spending within $75k.Had to have two teeth extracted.  With surgery and implant costs, we'll go over spending by about $10k. 
8) Pay down mortgage by $10,150 (included in $75k).  on autopilot
9) Invest profits of house sales, leaving $150k for real estate investment. (Waiting on sale of flip house, otherwise we'll need it for the rehab if the sale falls thru.)
10) Make $1k on art sales or teaching.Teaching scheduled for January of 2019.  Unlikely to sell a lot of art work before end of year.

2019 goals:

1) Stay FIRED.
2) Switch from COBRA insurance to ACA if cheaper.
3) Keep non-real estate investment spending within $75k.
4) Pay down mortgage by $10,400 (included in $75k).
5) Acquire 1 rental property, rehab it and rent it.   Close on this one on 2-August.  Rehabbed and ready to rent by end of October.
6) Fund 2 real estate flips for flip partner at 1-2% below market rates.  (And no, I'm not crazy.)
7) Set up self-employed 401k so we can reduce "income" by enough to qualify for ACA subsidy if that makes sense.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #84 on: July 22, 2018, 10:57:42 AM »
Here's our status.
2) Yearly max to both kids college accounts - $28K - $4250, so far.
3) Save an extra $150K before I quit my job - Finally made some progress - we're at $54.9K. We're up & down with a bunch of home projects
4) Keep travel budget to $7K - Over this. when I decided to stay at work for a few more months, I agreed to a family trip to Hawaii as an incentive. ;-) Currently at $9200.
5) Earn another $1K selling random stuff on eBay - achieved. At $1080.
6) Stick to budget overall - yes, on track, minus the house category. We opted to put in air conditioning (which required a bunch of other electrical upgrades)

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #85 on: July 22, 2018, 05:55:34 PM »
I thought I had replied to this thread but hadn't, joining in to

2018 Goals: as at May
1- Max out Super - currently at 20k out of 25k - July - smashed this woot woot, now to start on next FY's cap.
2- Save 75k after tax. This is a stretch goal, currently 20k down, 55k to go. - July - at 37.5/75k - this is a big stretch goal considering my current contract ends in 3 months but we will see.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #86 on: July 30, 2018, 07:58:56 PM »
Here's our status.
2) Yearly max to both kids college accounts - $28K - $4250, so far.
3) Save an extra $150K before I quit my job - Finally made some progress - we're at $54.9K. We're up & down with a bunch of home projects - now at $70.8K
4) Keep travel budget to $7K - Over this. when I decided to stay at work for a few more months, I agreed to a family trip to Hawaii as an incentive. ;-) Currently at $9200.
5) Earn another $1K selling random stuff on eBay - achieved. At $1080. - now at $1434

BeautifulDay

• Bristles
« Reply #87 on: August 01, 2018, 09:13:21 PM »
2018 goals

1. Save EF of $13000 - top priority. (4 months spending -or 3 months plus an AC replacement) replaced the AC.  Have a 2.5 mo EF
2. Save $9000 for side business by July. And set up legal stuff/website for business. equipment purchased. Still need to set up the business info and start production.
4. Max Roth IRA and Open DH's Roth IRA. priorities changed. I think we may need to work on the EF more until the end of the year in case of a job change.
5. Keep monthly expenses to $3700 or lower - work with DH on strategies to lower this further. not been doing well here - auto repairs killed us this month
6. Camp 1 weekend per month in April thru October. Nope. Too hot and havent had time to get away to mountains and cooler climates
7. Increase networth from $130k to $170k $153k
8. Keep resume up to date.  had and interview today. If I don't get this job I'll wait a few months before applying for anything else.  Gotta work for n that EF.
9. No new clothes just for the sake of new clothes.  Replacements only for clothes that are beyond repair. NOthing lately. Could really use new sunglasses- eye condition requires I wear them daily and mine are very scratched. But I'm going to hold off. .

shinn497

• Bristles
« Reply #88 on: August 04, 2018, 12:27:40 AM »
1) Pay off all debts - CRUSHED
2) 5K emergency fund - 600
3) 5700 in retirement accounts (6000 Stretch)- 2690 (I need to recheck this one)
4) 4300 Car Savings - 0
5) 1200 Travel Savings  - 10
« Last Edit: September 07, 2018, 05:02:56 PM by shinn497 »

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #89 on: August 07, 2018, 09:23:01 AM »
1.  Max out 403b.
2.  Max out 457.
3.  Max Roth IRA 2017.
4.  Max Roth IRA 2018.
5.  Get cash and investments up to $750K (now at $656K).
6.  Stretch goal.....strive for next BIG milestone in NW (now at $828K).
7.  Oh, yeah, RETIRE.

1.  Done ($24,500 put in this account--tax deferred)
2.  Done ($24,500 put in this account--tax deferred)
3.  Done (topped off my Roth (up to $6500) for 2017)
4.  Done ($6500 added to my Roth for 2018)
5.  Done (cash + investments now stands at $808K)
6.  Met my stretch goal (NW now stands at $1,005,800)
7.  DONE--retired on June 30.

:D

Congrats!! Looks like you are due for some new goals.

Thanks, and it's true about needing some new goals!!  I should try to come up with a reasonable spending plan for 2019, as I have done a good bit of splurging during the second half of 2018!!

Salim

• Handlebar Stache
  • over the hills
« Reply #90 on: August 09, 2018, 02:42:27 PM »
2. Rebuild emergency fund to $2K This is a long way off at this point.
3. Buy minimal clothing Doing well on this one.
4. Get my artwork into 1 or 2 galleries and start selling Making some progress.
5. Create and implement art website with shopping cart Site should be up in a day or two.
6. Increase net worth by $40K Epic fail so far. Stock market fell a lot and we took out a loan to pay a big tax bill. We have cut spending and are working on increasing income.

Making good progress.

2. Rebuild emergency fund to $2K
3. Buy minimal clothing  Cut last year's spending for same time period by $2,288.
4. Get my artwork into 1 or 2 galleries and start selling
5. Create and implement art website with shopping cart Done.
6. Increase net worth by $40K  Increased so far by $25,633.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #91 on: September 01, 2018, 09:08:45 AM »
Here's our status at the end of August.
2) Yearly max to both kids college accounts - $28K - $4250, so far. Need to decide if we're going to divert any "found money" to this one in 2018
3) Save an extra $150K before I quit my job - Finally made some progress - we're at $54.9K. We're up & down with a bunch of home projects - now at $76.6K. We've had a few expensive months, with front loading travel, yearly car insurance, etc.
4) Keep travel budget to $7K - Over this. when I decided to stay at work for a few more months, I agreed to a family trip to Hawaii as an incentive. ;-) We're at $10K at the moment. Work has been insane & hard, and travel helps me get at least some pleasure out of the extra time in role. I'll be going on a sabbatical next year, so lots of traveling will be occurring
5) Earn another $1K selling random stuff on eBay - achieved. At $1080. - now at $1700. Wooohoo! Will now try for $2K for the year.

SansSkill

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #92 on: September 01, 2018, 12:44:46 PM »
Bit late to the party, but I figured I'd put the goals I set in 2017 as well as those I set in the meantime here.

Saving goals:
1) Emergency fund (5k).
2) Pay tuition up front (~2k, due September)
3) Start saving for house.

Investment goals:
4) Investment account (6k, low cost world stock index).
5) Investment account (3k, trade options as a hobby).

Milestone goals:
6) 10k.
7) 15k.

I currently put €500,- to the top savings goal and €500,- to the top investment goal a month. Whenever my checking account grows too much I move a multiple of €500,- to the first unmet goal, in order of #1, #2, #5, #4.

Currently on track to achieve #1 in June, and #2 potentially in July but probably August.

These goals aged... interesting.
Emergency fund is met.
Tuition I decided against, since I don't plan to repay my mortgage earlier because of larger returns in the market I figured the same philosophy should hold here as well and so I opted for paying in terms, which means paying 20% every two months.

Due to medical issues I decided to quit my part time job and focus on my studies, so I'm putting off on saving for a house, also because I have become more aware of the local rent vs buy market and found that renting may actually be better in the long term, so instead I'm saving for my next holiday instead.

I probably won't reach my investment account goals, €4k should be doable, but €6k sounds out of the question.
As for the option portfolio, I found out that the strategy I wanted to do can't easily be achieved with my available selection of brokers.
I have found an alternative derivative I could probably use in lieu of options, so I'll be dabbing in that, but with a smaller portfolio of €500-1000.

As for milestones I reached the €10k at the end of june, to reach €15k I need €3.5k more appreciation in the next 4 months, which is very unlikely, so I'll be aiming for €12.5k end of year I guess? Not sure if viable barring derivative portfolio skyrocketing in value but sounds like a nice stretch goal.

WhiteTrashCash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #93 on: September 01, 2018, 01:11:12 PM »

Updating this for Sept. 1st:

1.) Fully fund two Roth IRAs: $11,000 Done.
2.) Fully fund a 401k: $18,500 Will be done by the end of the year.
3.) Get my student loans below $35,000 Still working on this.
4.) Remodel our full bathroom, because God knows it needs it. Have to put this off until at least next year.
5.) Repair or replace the front steps on our house. Done.
6.) Finish my book. Still working on this.
7.) Have more board game nights/pot luck dinners at home. We did a lot more of this, so mission accomplished.
8.) Laugh a lot more. It's been a hard year, so hopefully this will happen more next year.
9.) Care less about what people think. Done.
10.) Read more books for fun. Way more. Very happy about this.

haflander

• Bristles
« Reply #94 on: September 04, 2018, 09:18:37 AM »

2. Fully fund E/FU fund to 17,500. Currently 9000
3. Pay off stupid truck loan. Currently 7800

2. Fully fund E/FU fund to 17,500. Currently 11,200
3. Pay off stupid truck loan. Currently 5000

zeli2033

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #95 on: September 04, 2018, 09:19:56 AM »

Updating this for Sept. 1st:

9.) Care less about what people think. Done.

Excellent goal. I’m going to borrow that for the rest of this year...

shinn497

• Bristles
« Reply #96 on: September 07, 2018, 05:03:31 PM »
I sold some things....so

1) Pay off all debts - CRUSHED[/color]
2) 5K emergency fund - 2040 (yay markets :/)
3) 5700 in retirement accounts (6000 Stretch)- 3030
4) 4300 Car Savings - 0
6) Make an extra 500$ outside of work (1000$ Stretch) - 24
« Last Edit: September 13, 2018, 11:40:53 PM by shinn497 »

shinn497

• Bristles
« Reply #97 on: September 13, 2018, 11:41:42 PM »
I sold some things....so

1) Pay off all debts - CRUSHED[/color]
2) 5K emergency fund - 3861 (yay markets :/)
3) 5700 in retirement accounts (6000 Stretch)- 3098
4) 4300 Car Savings - 0
6) Make an extra 500$ outside of work (1000$ Stretch) - 24

OurTown

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #98 on: September 18, 2018, 09:58:55 AM »
Invested NW is at $492.  Pretty sure we can make it to $500 by the end of the year.

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #99 on: September 18, 2018, 05:21:44 PM »
Couple of goals
--Increase RRSP savings from 17,500 to 23,000  (at $28,000)
--Increase TFSA (also my EFund) from 700--8000 (at $4500)

Funny how I underestimated what would be possible. I've also started an investment account, currently only at $2000, but pretty happy with how things are going this year.

Alright. Update
--Increase RRSP savings from 17,500 to 23,000: $30,030!
--Increase TFSA (also my EFund) from 700--8000 $6516

Also would love to buy a canoe on hold, but I have a 'canoe/etc account' with $2200 in it
While I was at it: Started an investment account now at $3005