Author Topic: 2018 Badassity Resolutions  (Read 14884 times)

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
Re: 2018 Badassity Resolutions
« Reply #50 on: January 05, 2018, 12:40:21 PM »

Finance:
  • FIRE, both of us, in May, no matter what.
  • $24,000 in 401Ks.
  • Explore 401K via our real estate investment company.
  • Refurbish rental #3 and rent it.
  • Refurbish flip #1 and sell it.
  • Find cheap health insurance.
  • Total spend, not counting refurbishing property, <$75,000.

Health:
  • Bicycle to work 3 days a week once the weather warms.
  • Bicycle 7 miles, 4 days a week, once FIRED.
  • Walk 3 miles, 3 days a week, once FIRED.
  • Lose 40 lbs.

Mind and Heart:
  • Master silver-soldering for jewelry making.
  • Master fusing of enamel to meta.
  • Master polishing enamel.
  • Design 3 product lines of metalwork items.
[li]12 public blog entries on topics financial, political and artistic.
[/li][/list]

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #51 on: January 17, 2018, 03:32:06 PM »
Revisiting the Resolutions

Life Ownership
-daily meditation practice (track with Insight Timer App)--so far, so good. 17 days straight
-household “no-shopping” year --also on track with this, had to buy a safety air cartridge, but agreed that was a necessary purchase
-practice art/drawing 3x/wk--thanks to this resolution, I am spending more time consistently in my little studio, feels great (albeit slow progress)

Financial
-track spending (in day planner & highlight no-spend days)--we actually found an app to use & so far I've had 10 no spend days
-build a $10,000 EF --at $2000
-contribute $5000=RRSP (increase amount as possible)--will start this after contributing more to my '17 fund, which I've put $3000 into

Health
-walk/run 3x/wk (track with Insight Timer App)--yes, sortof. More like 2x big walks/wk, approx 1-2hrs
-winter: ski 2-3x/wk (already have a pass)--averaging 2-3 days/wk & a storm blowing in
-aim for 90% veggie/vegan--yup, on track

Adventure
-1-2 longer canoe trips--we have picked one that we plan to do in the late spring
-weekly hikes during the summer
-complete AST1 (Avalanche Safety Training), minimum 3 ski touring trips--taking AST1 course this weekend, 1 touring trip planned with friends Feb1-2

acroy

• Handlebar Stache
    • SWAMI
« Reply #52 on: January 23, 2018, 12:47:28 PM »
Progress Update
'tis the season to plan 2018 Badass Mustachian Muscle Building. I am trying some of these now and plan to hit'em heavy Jan 1. OK ok, Jan 2. I'm stoked, been doing these off&on for a while, but inconsistently.

Life Ownership
- up 5.30am vs 6.15 this was an arbitrary aggressive number without much thought put into it. I did it a couple times and went back to 6.10, which gives me time to get the morning routine done and into work at a perfect time 
- weights, stretching, cardio minimum 5 days a week instead of 4 done
- turn off phone wifi. Use by exception only. done. this is GREAT. FYI we also do not have data plan on the phone, so the majority of the time it is a dumb phone/camera/memory stick
- Intentional discomfort: 36hr fast 1/week. Swim minimum 2/week (pool gets into the 40's in the winter, brisk!). Stop using pillows. Fasting: check. This is awesome. Swim: check. Pillows: down to 1. if I lie flat I drown in my own snot (not nice)

Financial
- End stock picking. Many hours, 2% marginal gain over S&P index done
- Close separate brokerage account & roll into Vanguard in process. Looks like it'll cost money to close the account, which sucks.

Food & Bev
- Scale back pizza&beer to 1 cheat day per week done, this is awesome especially because today is CHEAT DAY
- 6 days a week: veg, meat, fruit, water Cut carbs  80-90% and living on veg, meat, fruit, dairy products. Feel great and slowly loosing the midsection
- scale back to 1 cup coffee/day (currently 2-4)about 80% compliance; never more than 2 cups

Learning
- focus harder on 2nd language (Portuguese) not started
- learn a dam’ instrument even if it's a rubber band bought a harmonica
- No more reading brain sugar. Good stuff only. done. Darwin's House of Cards is currently on the Kindle. Human Smoke next.
- learn how to heel/toe smoothly (driving skill) not started
- build a set of bike wheels not started

Fam
- weights, stretching with the kids minimum 3 days/week adjusted to 2/week, DW teaches a family yoga/stretch/tai chi class for an hour. 3/week was a bit much
- compliment DW more frequently (she LOVES this and I forget) sporadically
- Teach gun use/safety to MMM's age 8+ minimum 2/month gun class every 2 weeks. they love this

Off the Wheel

• Bristles
« Reply #53 on: February 08, 2018, 11:46:23 PM »
February check in!

Life
Leave work at work. Only work on my time if I need to - max 3x/week. -- YES! Finally got a work laptop.
In bed by 11. -- YEP!
Read 52 books in 2018. Let go of the judgment around what kind of books. -- YES! Currently 13 down.
Practice daily gratitude with the gratitude list I've had going for years. -- 50/50. Need to be more diligent.
Tell or show someone I appreciate them every day. -- Need to work on this.
Build up crafting skills. Always have one creative project on the go. -- YES! Batch of soap curing. Scarf in process.

Health
Work out 3x/week. -- YES! Doing pretty good here, despite getting the flu.
Get into nature 1x/week. -- NO. :( Need to make this a priority.
Meditate 3x/week. -- NO. Need to create the time.
Go to an AA meeting 1x/week. (Long time recovery makes it harder to make this a priority. -- Went to one so far this year... :S
Only eat junk/high sugar food when it's made with love (no more processed crap.) -- NO. Definitely eating too much chocolate.

Finances
Save $4K/month. -- Will hopefully average up to that. Currently around $3100-$3500.
Pay off credit card without fail every month. -- YES.
Max out RRSP and TFSA. -- On track.
Make plan to (and sell?) sell second property. -- Won't happen in 2018.

Career
Secure at least one professional speaking engagement. -- Got the offer! Free trip to NYC if I can get the boss to approve.
Take on a volunteering or mentorship opportunity. -- Still to do.

Relationships
Catch up with core friends at least monthly. -- Making more of an effort here.
Invest time in new relationships. -- In progress.
Talk to distant friends and family at least monthly. -- In progress.
Weekly date night with DH. -- Need to refocus.
Get pregnant. :D -- In progress. ;)

Drole

• Stubble
« Reply #54 on: February 09, 2018, 01:40:55 AM »
Financial:
-Improve financial management.  Three key areas: track spending/budget, get on top of the rental income/expenses, minimize taxes. In progress. Spending will be weird this month bc of travels, taxes are on hold bc of it, latest problem rental almost finished so we can focus on bigger picture.

Relationships:
-Quality time with DH (date night/conversations/etc). On track
-Build/Rebuild my network (old friends/old coworkers/new people/etc) on track/in progress. Hosting visitors, lunch with new possible friend with follow up set, reached out to try to plan visit with out of town friend, need to send sympathy cards to a couple others, need to reach out to new neighbors.

Learning:
-Foreign language (Portuguese). Erg

Business:
-Try 1+ side hustle ideas double erg. Having to focus on existing, side business now and some issues with rentals. I have at least been talking about some things i'd like to try with others to get some feedback

Personal:
-(Re)define me (make sure where I am spending my time reflects who I am/want to be). On track. Have been prioritizing my activities, but less so in learnings.

Kids:
-Plan/seek out more activities/growth/learning for after school/weekends. Found a great option for one kid, just waiting to start....probably Monday

Adventure:
-Do one hike/bike to camp with kids during the year (training for longer term trip). Currently hosting a bike traveling family and getting to see what it's like for them, how they've managed. Fascinated.

Health: have been doing the work on this (diet, stretching and workouts....results not on scale yet, flexibility might be improving as some things don't seem to hurt as much.
-Get body fat down (estimating 16%)
-Improve flexibility (shoulder, hips focus)

haypug16

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #55 on: February 09, 2018, 12:08:37 PM »
Progress update - meant to do this at the end of Jan but it looks like I forgot;

Life ownership:
• Wake up at 6AM - Been getting up earlier but more like 6:30, not quite able to do 6am but getting better.
• Do dishes as they get dirty - Very good at this one. Only left them overnight a couple times (ok maybe 3-4)
• Don't look at social media first thing in the morning - Doing really good with this one. Only failed 1-2 times and it was on the weekend when I didn't need to get up and go to work.
• Continue to Donate/Sell one thing per day of the year. - Dropped off a box of 31 items in January and have a box of at least 28 items for this month ready to go.

Health:
• Get back into running and yoga. 2x a week for each - Terrible - Ran once and did yoga once this year!!!
• No added sugar for Jan-Feb. - only lasted a couple weeks :'( may try again in April and do this as a quarterly challenge or something.
• Take my vitamins - I take vitamins in the morning and evening. In Jan I was really good about the morning ones but not so much with the evening. Feb I have taken both everyday so far!

Finances:
• Pay off all remaining Consumer Debt - $4,800 remaining should be knocked down to $3,500 at the end of the month
• Pay off $10,000 in Student Loans - Paid off $1,200 so far this year
• Get 401K contributions up to 25% by year end - currently focusing on Credit Cards so this wont go up until the second half of the year.
• Have 120 no spend days (10 per month) - 10 so far this year

Brain:
• Read at least 2 books a month - Read 5 books so far this year
• Complete the French Module in Doulingo - half way done
• Complete Excel course to get certification - Have not been working on this, working two jobs and not really feeling like getting on the computer more than necessary but I do have to finish this before the course expires.
• Practice the flute 10 mins a day - practiced the first week or two in January and haven't picked it up again.

Relationship:
• Mediate to reduce stress (so I don't take it out on DH, also a Health goal) - been off an on with this. 6 times in Jan and so far 3 this month
• Getting together with friends (at least) once a month. - went out with DHs friends in January who I hadn't met before. Very nice time. Went out for Trivia this month with my friends but also want to try and go out with another couple of DHs friends.

Jim Fiction

• Stubble
« Reply #56 on: February 18, 2018, 03:50:56 PM »
Progress update. As expected tax season has taken a toll on my goals with a mixed bag of successes and failures. Fortunately the financial ones are mostly on track.

LIFE OWNERSHIP
Get serious about the CPA Exam, embrace the hardship! Busy season, precious little time
Start and keep up with bullet journal Did not wind up starting this, have been better with organization overall though, so that is a plus
Less time on phone, particularly in the morning Ebbs and flows, but overall improvement
Wake up at 5 AM every weekday, 7AM every weekend (Get a pass on Sundays during Tax Season) Nope
Prevent procrastination, take action immediately I'm putting off preparing a tax return to post in this thread

FINANCIAL
Keep track of every expense in 2018 I've been bad with recording my exact gas purchases, but I used guesstimates so am probably pretty close. It helps now that I am using my card now due to a 5% bonus point promotion
Reduce food & beverage expenses in 2018 Been good except for beer
Avoid "hobby" traps Beer has been an issue
Increase net worth (despite impending baby) So far so good
Ebay at least $1,000 worth of stuff by end of year Have a few piles of stuff waiting to be listed
Max out HSA again Plotted on and on pace
Determine best course of action on Student Loans Determined to pay off this year
Increase 401K contributions to 18% by year end (15% at YE 17) Already bumped to 16%

LEARNING
CPA!!!!!!!!!! On hold for tax season

FAM & FRIENDS
Support Mrs. Fiction as she prepares for the birth of our first child She says I'm doing a good job
Have a conversation with core friends at least 1x a month Been texting more, should still make an effort to call
Have "difficult" conversations with parents after tax season

HEALTH
Maintain 2x a week at gym during Tax Season nope
Increase HDL levels by next physical probably not on track (see gym goal directly above)
Increase to at least 3x a week at gym outside of Tax Season We'll see
Lose (and keep off) at least 20 lbs holding steady
Find a Dentist closer to home not done
Figure out abdominal Issue Have a referral to a surgeon for a consult, just need to schedule an appointment
Meditate at least once per week for 10-15 mins did it once so far
Find an Optometrist closer to home not done
[/quote]

littlelykke

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #57 on: June 11, 2018, 07:29:56 AM »
Since almost 6 months have passed, since I made this list. I thought it was about time for an update. So here goes...

Life ownership:
• Wake up at 6:30 daily.  Hahahaha, yeah, not happening daily. Still working on this one
• Doing a better job at keeping the house neat and clean. Not let it be a full time weekend chore. considering that we are remodeling our house, I'm doing a fantastic job at this. Most of our stuff is in boxes and everything we use, we wash almost immediately. Now I only have to keep this up after we're done remodeling and start really living in our house again.
• Doing a intentional good deed each week. Did some good deeds, but not intentional every week. So I'll still have to work on this one.

Health:
• Go back to a regular fitness 'regime'. Used to work out at least twice a week, want to get it back to 3 times a week. I blame the house on failing spectacularly at this. Although, is knocking out walls, bringing a 1000 stones to the container or sanding and painting also considered a work out? If so, I've met this goal by far and work out 5 times a week ;)
• Less snacking I could do better, but I've seen an improvement. I'm much more mindful about what I eat, so this one is progressing nicely
• Lose at least 10 kg's, to get back to a healthier weight.  stress is not helping. Down 2 kilo's, 8 more to go. Not a great score in 6 months.

Finances:
• Paying at least 10,000 down on our mortgage next year. on our way with this one, we are on schedule
• Keeping our savings at the level it is at now. surprisingly, we are still at the same savings level, even though we are remodeling the house. Some hefty expenses are to be expected (new kitchen for example), but so far so good.
• Start learning about investing for 2019. Did this, read a lot of blogposts and halfway through the first book on this.
• Keep better track of refunds and any profits my job offer. Still losing money on this one. But I did apply for a reimbursment for next year.

Brain:
• Read at least 20 books. Unless I catch up the next 6 months, I'm probably not going to make this one. Currently on book 2/20.
• Less time online I don't keep check, but I think I could improve on this one.
• Start improving my french again. I did this un petit peu, watched some french movies and have read some easy french texts again. Really should put more effort into this.

Relationship:
• More quality time with my boyfriend We do this. It's going great.
• Getting together with friends (at least) once a month. Also met this goal, I've seen my far away friends already a couple of times this year. So doing great.

How are your goals progressing? Any other updates?

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #58 on: June 11, 2018, 12:44:59 PM »
Good Bump @littlelykke :)
Mid-way re-visit

Life Ownership
-daily meditation practice (track with Insight Timer App)--was doing this then stopped, restarted recently. Makes such a big difference in my day
-household “no-shopping” year --on track with this, we are still sticking to it with only a few work-related exceptions so far
-practice art/drawing 3x/wk-haven't been keeping up with this as much as I would like

Financial
-track spending (in day planner & highlight no-spend days)--did initially,now we're only buying groceries so aren't tracking
-build a $10,000 EF --at $4500
-contribute $5000=RRSP (increase amount as possible)--working on it

Health
-walk/run 3x/wk--was off due to hip injury..restarted recently and  completed a straggly half-m :)
-winter: ski 2-3x/wk (already have a pass)--done
-aim for 90% veggie/vegan--have gone off a bit but still pretty high 80-85%

Adventure
-1-2 longer canoe trips--have one rafting trip planned
-weekly hikes during the summer-completed a few day hikes & one 4 day trip this spring
-complete AST1 (Avalanche Safety Training), minimum 3 ski touring trips--did course & only one overnight trip last winter

haypug16

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #59 on: June 12, 2018, 07:21:29 AM »
I haven't actually looked at how I'm doing on these Resolutions in a few months so it's a good time to revisit and refocus;

Life ownership:
• Wake up at 6AM - Closer to 6:30-6:45AM lately. I need to set an alarm that tells me to go to bed!
• Do dishes as they get dirty - This one is going fine. There have been a few days here and there that the dishes are left but over all the sink has been clean.
• Don't look at social media first thing in the morning - Fell off the wagon a bit. Need to refocus on this one.
• Continue to Donate/Sell one thing per day of the year. - I've dropped off donations through March and I'm currently working on my "April" box. It's starting to get tough to find things to get rid of.

Health:
• Get back into running and yoga. 2x a week for each - I've got the running part down just not the yoga.
• No added sugar for Jan-Feb.
• Take my vitamins - Been pretty good lately, not perfect but only missing them here and there.

Finances:
• Pay off all remaining Consumer Debt - Done
• Pay off $10,000 in Student Loans - Paid off $6,268.13 so far this year. I should have no trouble reaching this goal.
• Get 401K contributions up to 25% by year end - I'm up to 10% as of June will increase again in July to somewhere between 12 and 15%
• Have 120 no spend days (10 per month) - I've totally lost count but my guess I'm close to 5-8 a month.

Brain:
• Read at least 2 books a month - Doing well. I'm up to 15 books this year (I think).
• Complete the French Module in Doulingo - Still hovering around 50%
• Complete Excel course to get certification - Not even close to done and I really need to finish up soon. I am only working on the basic course right now and I still have the advanced course to complete. I have to check to make sure this isn't expiring.
• Practice the flute 10 mins a day - Been very inconsistent lately.

Relationship:
• Mediate to reduce stress (so I don't take it out on DH, also a Health goal) - Terrible at this! I need to set an alarm to remind myself.
• Getting together with friends (at least) once a month. - I'm very good at this, though the plan was to spend more time with DHs friends and we have only done that a couple times. I told him to get in touch with someone for June. I can't really help that we're hanging out with my friends can I? :)

Plan for June and going forward;
-Set alarms for going to bed, Practicing the Flute and French, and to Meditate.
- Make Yoga more of a priority.
- Spend time each day completing 1 or 2 excel modules.

Drole

• Stubble
« Reply #60 on: June 18, 2018, 07:53:35 AM »
I think this is going to be ugly. But here goes:

Financial:
-Improve financial management.  Three key areas: track spending/budget, get on top of the rental income/expenses, minimize taxes. Tracking spending: nope; Rental expenses mgmt: nope; minimize taxes: tried for 2017 but was a bit late, Will attempt to get DH on board for this in 2018.

Relationships:
-Quality time with DH (date night/conversations/etc). Nope, did a couple but fell off the wagon
-Build/Rebuild my network (old friends/old coworkers/new people/etc). Nope

Learning:
-Foreign language (Portuguese). Well, this has become a yes

Business:
-Try 1+ side hustle ideas. Nope, though i did try listing some stuff on the ebay.

Personal:
-(Re)define me (make sure where I am spending my time reflects who I am/want to be). Kinda doing this now

Kids:
-Plan/seek out more activities/growth/learning for after school/weekends. Kinda doing this now

Adventure:
-Do one hike/bike to camp with kids during the year (training for longer term trip). nope

Health: big fail lately...I did well for about 4 months
-Get body fat down (estimating 16%)
-Improve flexibility (shoulder, hips focus)

TartanTallulah

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #61 on: June 24, 2018, 11:07:06 PM »
No ambitious resolutions here. We're all different, and I accept that I'll never become a morning person or voluntarily restrict my food intake and won't have time in 2018 to learn to play a musical instrument or write a publishable novel.

I have one new plan for 2018, which was prompted by the thread asking how much we spend on hobbies. I added up our 2017 vacation spending. Having estimated £5000, I added in other associated costs such as airport parking, and it's a little over £6000. Ouch! And I suspect it was more in 2016. This will be difficult to sustain on our retirement budget. I'm going to see if we can cut it in half. If we can limit our overseas travel to one trip near the end of 2018 and spend our other vacations (two individual weeks and one fortnight) in self-catering cottages in the UK, it's doable.

Not badass, but meaningful and achievable for us.

Not working out quite how I planned. We are having three separate weeks in the UK but one will be in Northern Ireland, which still involves significant travel costs. In March, when winter was dragging on and on, I booked a summer vacation somewhere guaranteed to be warm and sunny (just returned, no regrets) and we'll go away again during low season in early December.

We'll come in around 90% of last year's expenditure.

Money Badger

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #62 on: August 06, 2018, 09:09:28 PM »
I like it...  Since hope is not a plan, here's the plan:

Life Ownership
- Stop trying to "fit in" with a crowd of self-absorbed people in my HCOL neighborhood.   Good changes happening here connecting and reconnecting with people with more common interests.
- Focus more on neglected relationships with good friends (inverse of first item above)
- Be an ambassador to help my college age kids become truly independent citizens.   So far, this means patience with my youngest daughter over the summer.

Finances
- Downsize house to be debt free  Big house on the market... working the plan!
- Redeploy equity to deliver passive income   Next step... see status immed. above!
- ACHIEVE FI!
- Buy a mid-size truck that meets my and family's needs.  Done!   Loving the flexibility it adds to life in general!

Brain
- Change jobs from a toxic situation.   The silver lining is it's kicked me into gear to build FU money big time.  Not doing well on this one.   Too much focus on downsizing/income stability for college expenses.   As Thoreau said, a life of "...quiet desperation" for now, but other changes will set the stage here.
- Take a healthy vacation to Glacier National Park.   Heading to Florida Keys this winter.
- Avoid the booze fest vacations we've had with friends lately.   The Keys ain't gonna help with this one...

Health
- Do 50 push-ups in a single set and 50 double-crunches on my 50th birthday.   At 30 pushups and 50 double crunches easily in one set... Gonna take 2 pushup sets on the birthday to avoid injury, but will call it a win.

- Go to bed & wake up earlier so I can make my 15 minute yoga/strength regimen daily (versus just workdays)    Fell off the wagon on this... good reminder!
- Eat half as much every dinner to get to a healthier weight (including taking home doggie bags every time eating out).   My body will tell me what the weight needs to be.   Fell off the wagon on this... good reminder!

Relationship
- Take some pressure off my wife on the chores at home.   Doing more... not qualifying for saint-hood, but better.

- Be patient as the transition to empty nesting happens in August.  Just got here...  treading lightly, but it's going to be a tough transition.

Updates thus far in bold above...   Some big changes done... more to come!

haypug16

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #63 on: August 09, 2018, 10:49:55 AM »
August update

Life ownership:
• Wake up at 6AM - This was not a very good idea. I don't know what I was thinking. 6:30 is the earliest I've managed and even that is few and far between. but I will keep "trying"
• Do dishes as they get dirty - check, I have been very good with this.
• Don't look at social media first thing in the morning - Continue to fall off the wagon. I am thinking of uninstalling Facebook from my phone.
• Continue to Donate/Sell one thing per day of the year. - I'm up to May 5th. Need to catch up to August.

Health:
• Get back into running and yoga. 2x a week for each - Nope has not happened. I've been a lazy bum pretty much all year. I was running more in the first half but it's been a while
• No added sugar for Jan-Feb. May try again at the end of the year (not during the holidays though!)
• Take my vitamins - Very good the last couple months.

Finances:
• Pay off all remaining Consumer Debt - Done
• Pay off $10,000 in Student Loans - $Paid off 7,669.10 so far
• Get 401K contributions up to 25% by year end - I'm up to 15% so far
• Have 120 no spend days (10 per month) - Still haven't been keeping track but my guess is it's about 5ish a month. Since I walk to the supermarket on my lunch break to pick up a fresh tomato and avocado for my salad I end up spending a couple dollars almost every day. 

Brain:
• Read at least 2 books a month - Up to 18 books
• Complete the French Module in Doulingo - Still hovering around 50%
• Complete Excel course to get certification - Done with course, turns out it was not complete, that's what I get for trusting Groupon. Will look for a new one, maybe my work will pay for it.
• Practice the flute 10 mins a day - Been very inconsistent lately.

Relationship:

• Mediate to reduce stress (so I don't take it out on DH, also a Health goal) - Terrible at this! I need to set an alarm to remind myself.
• Getting together with friends (at least) once a month. - Done every month at least my friends, not too much with DH's friends.

Jim Fiction

• Stubble
« Reply #64 on: November 11, 2018, 02:35:40 PM »
Progress update. As expected tax season has taken a toll on my goals with a mixed bag of successes and failures. Fortunately the financial ones are mostly on track.

LIFE OWNERSHIP
Get serious about the CPA Exam, embrace the hardship! Busy season, precious little time   I changed jobs, my current employer doesn't put any emphasis on the CPA exam, so its on the backburner for now
Start and keep up with bullet journal    Did not wind up starting this, have been better with organization overall though, so that is a plusStill haven't created this but did create a joint google calendar with my wife, which has been helpful
Less time on phone, particularly in the morning Ebbs and flows, but overall improvement   Overall better.
Wake up at 5 AM every weekday, 7AM every weekend (Get a pass on Sundays during Tax Season) Nope   While I technically up around that time virtually every day is because of the baby, not through any choice of my own and I typically go back to sleep afterwards
Prevent procrastination, take action immediately I'm putting off preparing a tax return to post in this thread   Mild improvement.

FINANCIAL
Keep track of every expense in 2018 I've been bad with recording my exact gas purchases, but I used guesstimates so am probably pretty close. It helps now that I am using my card now due to a 5% bonus point promotion   Busy season hurt, then having the baby through things into a chaotic state, have been better the last few months.
Reduce food & beverage expenses in 2018 Been good except for beer   This ticked up a bit with the new job as I have wanted to get to know my co-workers a bit better, going to start reining back in
Avoid "hobby" traps Beer has been an issue   Beer still a bit of an issue
Increase net worth (despite impending baby) So far so good   Happy with my progress
Ebay at least $1,000 worth of stuff by end of year Have a few piles of stuff waiting to be listed   Piles still remain, did sell a video game a few months back for $20, so $980 still to go.
Max out HSA again Plotted on and on pace   Happening
Determine best course of action on Student Loans Determined to pay off this year   Student loans are toast as of September
Increase 401K contributions to 18% by year end (15% at YE 17) Already bumped to 16%   Changed jobs, got a pay increase and promptly set my contribution percentage to max.

LEARNING
CPA!!!!!!!!!! On hold for tax season   On hold indefinitely

FAM & FRIENDS
Support Mrs. Fiction as she prepares for the birth of our first child She says I'm doing a good job   Baby came in April. According to my wife I am still doing a good job helping out
Have a conversation with core friends at least 1x a month Been texting more, should still make an effort to call   I've texted more frequently.
Have "difficult" conversations with parents after tax season   Had conversations, while receptive parents have been slow to change

HEALTH
Maintain 2x a week at gym during Tax Season nope   Nope, even with tax season over I have found this rate difficult to maintain. I have been working out somewhat regularly at home though over the last few months.
Increase HDL levels by next physical probably not on track (see gym goal directly above)   Probably same as before
Increase to at least 3x a week at gym outside of Tax Season We'll see   Nope
Lose (and keep off) at least 20 lbs holding steady   Nope
Find a Dentist closer to home not done   Done, just need to setup an appointment
Figure out abdominal Issue Have a referral to a surgeon for a consult, just need to schedule an appointment   Went through appointment and tests, which were inconclusive. I've been recommended for physical therapy but haven't started yet.
Meditate at least once per week for 10-15 mins did it once so far   baby has usurped most of my free time.
Find an Optometrist closer to home not done   done
[/quote]

Been way to long since I updated this. Lots of life changes, most for the better. I way underestimated the impact having a baby would have on my free time!

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #65 on: November 11, 2018, 06:32:59 PM »
Good reminder--my last update was in June.
 Will look forward to setting up a new list in 2019 :)

Life Ownership
-daily meditation practice (track with Insight Timer App)--YES! Even just completed a massive meditation retreat, which has cemeted this habit further
-household “no-shopping” year -- Less than two months to go, it's been a huge success--our clothes are getting a bit scruffy and we both need new underwear and socks but this was a fantastic experiment
-practice art/drawing 3x/wk-haven't been keeping up with this as much as I would like

Financial
-track spending (in day planner & highlight no-spend days)--nope, since I'm not really spending money except on groceries, household items
-build a $10,000 EF --at $7000
-contribute $5000=RRSP (increase amount as possible)--at $2800 so far

Health
-walk/run 3x/wk--bought a gym pass and am using it
-winter: ski 2-3x/wk (already have a pass)--waiting for the upcoming season to even start
-aim for 90% veggie/vegan--we are probably at 70-75% due to cheese consumption

Adventure
-1-2 longer canoe trips--recently did a 9 day rafting trip
-weekly hikes during the summer-completed many day hikes, a bunch were brand new destinations for me & one 4 day trip this spring
-complete AST1 (Avalanche Safety Training), minimum 3 ski touring trips--did course & only one overnight trip last winter

Bee21

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #66 on: December 13, 2018, 11:04:14 PM »
Updated

Here is my list

Exercise every morning before everyone gets up. 20 minutes.- nope, was sick for 7 weeks this year.
Gym 4 times a week- not quite, but when I was well I managed to go 2-3 times. Will keep this up
Swimming 3 times.- as above. Usually 2 swims
Fasting once a week. - nope, too hard
3 meals a day. No snacking. (This is the hardest I guess)- down to 4 meals. Finally got rid of the morning snack.

Learn Italian every day (on the train). I want to be fluent by the end of 2018.- not fluent yet, but much much better. I understood everything when we went to Italy this summer. I just did not have the confidence to talk much. Will continue learning. I really enjoyed this challenge.
Teach the kids the secondary language. - sort of. Made progress.
Do crafts with kids 3 times a week.- we took up painting together
Read every evening with the little one.- most evenings
Write down the mouse stories. - gotta do it next week. I want to give the story collection as a xmas present
1 craft project every month.- wasn't that structured, but made a lot of things
Improve my photography.- yesssss. Much, much better.

Get a new job!!!- nope. But negotiated one more year of part time hell.

Stop criticising my husband in front of others.(poor thing).- yesss. Winwinwin
Write to friends and family more often.- yes, done

No clothes shopping in 2018 for myself and husband  (unless i lose 10--15 kgs).- failed this, but didn't go overboard, I bought only necessary clothes.

Save 85k. - this is the biggest surprise, if we count the invisible savings (traditional retirement accounts incl employer contributions) we made this goal. And of course we lost a chunk in the past 2 months.

How did you guys go?
« Last Edit: December 13, 2018, 11:25:03 PM by Bee21 »

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #67 on: December 25, 2018, 04:56:46 AM »
* Did not learn keyboard this year
* May have kept my spending below $20k. Don't really know because I've stopped tracking (I'll just hand back my MMM credentials now as I leave the building tonight)
* Have not made a will, but will be going at end of Jan 2019 to enquire about one
* Have not finished a half marathon race without cramping/walking/collapsing (I did another 3 in 2018) but did complete one subsequently in training at a slightly slower pace. I think if you finish a race still standing then you probably haven't gone hard enough!

Goal for 2019 is a full marathon... my long runs are up to 25k now, and hopefully will be 30k by the end of January.