Author Topic: 2014 - Quit Smoking  (Read 65454 times)

rocketpj

• Pencil Stache
Re: 2014 - Quit Smoking
« Reply #200 on: September 02, 2014, 11:49:22 PM »
Don't give up.  It took me a lot of tries to quit the compelling little bastards, but it's now been 17 years since I quit (with an occasional single smoke if I ever get completely plastered, which only happens about once every 4 years or so).

At this point there is no way I would or could start up again.  Smokes are expensive!  And make me feel crappy!  And my wife would not approve.

It took me literally dozens of tries.  When I finally did quit it was while working on a Polish ship where literally every single man on board was a smoker - 93 of us puffing away and I got it in my head to quit.  All of them offering me a smoke as a social gesture all the time.  But somehow the sheer absurdity of it got me through the three months I was at sea with them without smoking, and now it's been decades.

UnleashHell

• Walrus Stache
  • Chapter IV - A New ... er.. something
« Reply #201 on: September 03, 2014, 03:26:48 AM »
first morning. have coffee. no smokes... arrgg...

think I may just go for a bike ride.
note to self. don't take money.
other note to self. avoid riding past store.
final note to self. don't kill the kids.

jordanread

« Reply #202 on: September 03, 2014, 10:03:26 AM »
first morning. have coffee. no smokes... arrgg...

think I may just go for a bike ride.
note to self. don't take money.
other note to self. avoid riding past store.
final note to self. don't kill the kids.
I've found that if the coffee is my savior. I got a hand mill, and just enjoy grinding and drinking my coffee instead of my morning smoke. My suggestion is to be attentive to what you are doing. Consciously enjoy that coffee, every sip.

Rezdent

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #203 on: September 04, 2014, 05:04:04 PM »
Update for me:
I've drifted back into vaping - first a bit here and there with other folks and now finding myself vaping multiple times per day.  Honestly the cravings were ugly and constant.
Sigh.
No cigarettes though - that is a total win.
And 18 mg, not 24.

Will re read the books and sites before planning my final quit.

UnleashHell

• Walrus Stache
  • Chapter IV - A New ... er.. something
« Reply #204 on: September 04, 2014, 05:14:46 PM »
2 1/2 days.
still have all the kids. I think. can't be sure my math skills are intact though.

only blew up at the help desk at work. however they weren't helping.

signs you smoked too much: the week you give up an entire fucking pharmacy chain stops sell smokes!!  should help with the budget if its that much to cvs....

fantabulous

• Bristles
    • My Crappy Little Blog
« Reply #205 on: September 06, 2014, 02:45:21 PM »
All my vaping stuff is finally in. I had resurrected my old eGo stuff earlier this week and it wasn't very nice. Constant issues with the tanks, even a new fancy-ish tank I got on Thursday for free with the juice order. Could be the 2 year old juice I used. New juice is also a lower nicotine dosage (18mg vs 24mg).

My Aspire Nautilus/iTaste MVP combo seems to be doing really nice. Still have some cravings for a real cigarette, but it's tempered by a reliable nicotine fix and increased feeling of "this is awful for your lungs" when I get the cravings. Hopefully this is the gear that ends up working for for me in the long run.

12 cigarettes left in my pack, and I'm not quite ready to throw them away. Next week at work I have someone to train for the entire week, and I want to keep them around to head off any bitchzilla moments in case my cravings get the better of me. But I'm going to see how well I get on this weekend without any.

fantabulous

• Bristles
    • My Crappy Little Blog
« Reply #206 on: September 08, 2014, 01:25:52 PM »
And predictably for me, I ended up smoking 11 of 12 over the weekend. I went ahead and finished the last one when I woke up today, but resisted the urge to buy another pack.

fantabulous

• Bristles
    • My Crappy Little Blog
« Reply #207 on: September 15, 2014, 05:12:43 PM »
One week in. The Aspire Nautilus tank isn't perfect and does have some gurgling/juice in my mouth issues, but infrequent and way better than anything else I've used before. As in just a touch when it just happens, vs a copious amount with other tanks. I can just blow through the mouthpiece and any stray juice clears out through the air hole. The coil seems to last about a week, and I've used two 10mL bottles of juice over the week.

More importantly, no cigarettes at all this week. I still have some cravings, mostly near the end of work, but I'm managing.

jordanread

« Reply #208 on: September 15, 2014, 05:31:57 PM »
Folks, I've been a shitty OP for this thread lately. I will get everyone new added to the tracking post within the next day. Feel free to hit me up with any kind of questions or support you need.

You are all rocking this!!! If I can do it, so can you.

fantabulous

• Bristles
    • My Crappy Little Blog
« Reply #209 on: September 22, 2014, 07:01:41 PM »
So. Two weeks in and no cigarettes. No more tank issues. I think I wasn't tightening everything up properly, causing the gurgling/juicing issues. Or maybe it just needed some breaking in time. I have yet to "break even" on a purely cigarettes vs vaping purchases, but this should happen soon enough.

While it's still warm enough outside to not be miserable, the vaporizer has allowed me to replace the worst of my smoke break habit at work and get away from my desk. The smell from the smokers doesn't bother me, although I don't particularly want any now.

fantabulous

• Bristles
    • My Crappy Little Blog
« Reply #210 on: October 06, 2014, 12:28:57 PM »
Four weeks. The Aspire Nautilus tank eats coils pretty quickly, so I don't think I've actually saved any money yet. Getting close, though, and this isn't really about the money.

drewski83

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #211 on: October 15, 2014, 02:42:40 PM »
Quit on March 16th, I used the patch and it worked pretty well. I went from a pack and a half a day habit to saving $4270 a year (smokes are almost $8 a pack here in NJ).. Once you get past the first week it's not that bad hang in there everybody.

jordanread

« Reply #212 on: October 27, 2014, 08:36:21 AM »
So I had a major setback. I went to Vegas on 09/28/2014 with my GF. The night that we got there, I went out with my GF and her sister to a little dive bar her sister frequents. As we started drinking, they both started smoking. Yeah, you can see where this is going. I bummed one, and within an hour, had bought a couple of packs. And that was all she wrote. I've been smoking for the last few weeks, and pretty heavily. This started quite the little cycle of destruction. I was a bit down that I had failed, started feeling sorry for myself, blah blah blah. I was drinking to excess damn near every night, which made me not bike in, which pissed me off, which made me drink, which made me smoke more. I was doing so well!!! Grrrr. Anyway, I got sick of feeling sorry for myself, and finally got the balls to post here and accept the deserved face punches. However, just being a complainypants suffering from excusitis is not how I roll (at least not for long). So that's where I was as of Friday.

Now where am I? Well, I smoked my last cigarette about 2 hours ago. Last night I took some ZzzQuil and some melatonin so that I could fall asleep a bit after 8. I also ground my coffee, and made sure that the delay brew was enabled on my coffee pot. I set out all of my clothes, and packed my panniers (totally forgot my shoes though, now all I have is SPDs). This gave me enough sleep to wake up a touch earlier than usual. I had two cups of Bulletproof Coffee (video) while slowly waking up and starting to move around. I got dressed and hopped on the bike, giving myself the first opportunity to try out my super awesome new headlight (since the sun didn't rise until 7:21 this morning)(SPOILER ALERT: It was awesome!!). I arrived at work after an awesome 9.3 mile ride, and then promptly started clearing some of the damage I've been doing to my lungs by coughing uncontrollably for about 5 minutes. Then I smoked the last cigarette I had. I was very mindful every little bit of it. Everything that I thought I liked about smoking, I paid attention to. The taste, the feeling of inhaling the smoke, the smell, and the effect of the chemicals (the 'rush', if you will). I wasn't that impressed. I tried to remember how I felt for the months before, with better lung capacity, etc. I didn't bring my wallet or any cash today, so even if I feel like giving in, I'm more than 40 minutes away from my money, and another 5 away from cigarettes. I'll check in once I get done with work and get back home. I'm pretty sure I've got this, and I guarantee that I will not fall into that trap again.

To those of you who originally participated, but may have slipped up, remember: we have just over two months left in this challenge, and that is plenty of time to get back on the right track. I could use you here, and I'm certain that being here will help you too.

seanc0x0

• Bristles
« Reply #213 on: October 27, 2014, 11:12:10 AM »
So I had a major setback. I went to Vegas on 09/28/2014 with my GF. The night that we got there, I went out with my GF and her sister to a little dive bar her sister frequents. As we started drinking, they both started smoking. Yeah, you can see where this is going. I bummed one, and within an hour, had bought a couple of packs. And that was all she wrote. I've been smoking for the last few weeks, and pretty heavily. This started quite the little cycle of destruction. I was a bit down that I had failed, started feeling sorry for myself, blah blah blah. I was drinking to excess damn near every night, which made me not bike in, which pissed me off, which made me drink, which made me smoke more. I was doing so well!!! Grrrr. Anyway, I got sick of feeling sorry for myself, and finally got the balls to post here and accept the deserved face punches. However, just being a complainypants suffering from excusitis is not how I roll (at least not for long). So that's where I was as of Friday.

Now where am I? Well, I smoked my last cigarette about 2 hours ago. Last night I took some ZzzQuil and some melatonin so that I could fall asleep a bit after 8. I also ground my coffee, and made sure that the delay brew was enabled on my coffee pot. I set out all of my clothes, and packed my panniers (totally forgot my shoes though, now all I have is SPDs). This gave me enough sleep to wake up a touch earlier than usual. I had two cups of Bulletproof Coffee (video) while slowly waking up and starting to move around. I got dressed and hopped on the bike, giving myself the first opportunity to try out my super awesome new headlight (since the sun didn't rise until 7:21 this morning)(SPOILER ALERT: It was awesome!!). I arrived at work after an awesome 9.3 mile ride, and then promptly started clearing some of the damage I've been doing to my lungs by coughing uncontrollably for about 5 minutes. Then I smoked the last cigarette I had. I was very mindful every little bit of it. Everything that I thought I liked about smoking, I paid attention to. The taste, the feeling of inhaling the smoke, the smell, and the effect of the chemicals (the 'rush', if you will). I wasn't that impressed. I tried to remember how I felt for the months before, with better lung capacity, etc. I didn't bring my wallet or any cash today, so even if I feel like giving in, I'm more than 40 minutes away from my money, and another 5 away from cigarettes. I'll check in once I get done with work and get back home. I'm pretty sure I've got this, and I guarantee that I will not fall into that trap again.

To those of you who originally participated, but may have slipped up, remember: we have just over two months left in this challenge, and that is plenty of time to get back on the right track. I could use you here, and I'm certain that being here will help you too.

Sounds a lot like how I un-quit the last time I started again. Booze + smoking girlfriend and that was the end of it. I was back to smoking just like I never quit.

That was in 2000. I smoked a while, then quit again. Haven't had a smoke since 2002 or so. It ain't easy, but don't let one slip-up derail you. Just get back at it and keep trying until it sticks! :)

jordanread

« Reply #214 on: October 27, 2014, 11:21:39 AM »
Sounds a lot like how I un-quit the last time I started again. Booze + smoking girlfriend and that was the end of it. I was back to smoking just like I never quit.

That was in 2000. I smoked a while, then quit again. Haven't had a smoke since 2002 or so. It ain't easy, but don't let one slip-up derail you. Just get back at it and keep trying until it sticks! :)

Funny thing is it was only a problem once I got into a bar that allowed smoking. I've drank, and my GF smokes, and it hadn't been an issue...until I could sit at the bar and light one up while talking. I suppose score one for the Colorado Clean Indoor Air Act. :-)

seanc0x0

• Bristles
« Reply #215 on: October 27, 2014, 11:26:56 AM »

Funny thing is it was only a problem once I got into a bar that allowed smoking. I've drank, and my GF smokes, and it hadn't been an issue...until I could sit at the bar and light one up while talking. I suppose score one for the Colorado Clean Indoor Air Act. :-)

It's funny what triggers smoking cravings. For several years after I quit, I had a craving every time I got done with wrapping Christmas gifts. I always had one once I was done with that task, and it too several years to remove the association.

I can see a bar being a trigger, especially if you used to go a lot in the past. Add in some booze for lowered willpower and you've really set yourself up!

fantabulous

• Bristles
    • My Crappy Little Blog
« Reply #216 on: October 27, 2014, 03:59:30 PM »
So. I was going to hold off on posting here for another week, and be all "8 weeks without a cigarette. Go me." Instead it's been 7 weeks. Go me.

You hit a trigger and relapsed, Jordan. Then you resolved to quit again. If this was easy, we'd be posting somewhere like the antimustachian wall of shame and comedy instead. You could probably ask your girlfriend for a pair of big girl panties if manning up isn't working out for you. Just keep at it.

I'm still horribly addicted to nicotine and still have quite a few of my smoking habits, such as getting away from my desk at work and vaping with the smokers. I even forgot to grab my vaporizer one day and had to go back home for it, or sit around feeling miserable and distracted all day. My employer doesn't have any rules against me vaping at my desk, but I don't really like doing it. Once winter settles in, I should probably embrace vaping at my desk if I still need the vaporizer crutch.

Bob W

• Magnum Stache
  • Live on minimum wage, earn on maximum
« Reply #217 on: October 29, 2014, 09:37:55 AM »
Quitting smoking is easy!   I've done it thousands of times  ---  I seriously need to get on this.  My longest stretch was about 10 years.    I've found that drinking leads to smoking and I now drink more then I did back in the day.   So my evil plan is to reduce drinking to less than 8 drinks per week no more than 4 at a time.  I'll start this Friday with the drinking (drinking only my homemade vodka).   Then Monday morning, or perhaps Sunday,  cold turkey and chewing gum for me! 

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #218 on: October 29, 2014, 10:06:53 AM »
Quitting smoking is easy!   I've done it thousands of times

Hah!  Nice.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

jordanread

« Reply #219 on: October 29, 2014, 12:10:04 PM »
So. I was going to hold off on posting here for another week, and be all "8 weeks without a cigarette. Go me." Instead it's been 7 weeks. Go me.
Go You!!!
You could probably ask your girlfriend for a pair of big girl panties if manning up isn't working out for you. Just keep at it.

HA HA! That's the kind of face-punch I have come to expect. (P.S. Told my GF about this, and she said I can't borrow any)

I've found that drinking leads to smoking and I now drink more then I did back in the day.   So my evil plan is to reduce drinking to less than 8 drinks per week no more than 4 at a time.  I'll start this Friday with the drinking (drinking only my homemade vodka).   Then Monday morning, or perhaps Sunday,  cold turkey and chewing gum for me! 

The funny thing about that is I was able to separate drinking and smoking. Even during the few months I quit, I was able to enjoy drinks without the urge to smoke. I think it was drinking in a bar where I could just smoke that got me. I'd even gone out twice during my time I quit, but didn't smoke. Went out with my friends who did, but it wasn't a huge deal. It was just kind of the novelty of it all. Fucking stupid!!

I did just recently re-read the beer o'clock article to try MMM's solution, except I have the extremely anti-mustachian characteristic of having a ridiculously high tolerance for alcohol. When he said that you should spend enough to get drunk once per week, I could get on board with that...except that was nothing like a six pack. He he. I might try your route, at least the no more than four at a time thing. I do have some cider brewing that should be ready this week, so that should reduce the costs.

All that aside, feel free to jump on board.

fantabulous

• Bristles
    • My Crappy Little Blog
« Reply #220 on: December 01, 2014, 08:24:08 PM »
So.  I know 2014 is almost over and this thread is pretty much dead. But 3 months for me today and I got through nights of drinking a few weeks ago without having a cigarette. I kind of wanted one at the start, but knew I'd break down and buy a pack or two if I had even one.

Rezdent

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #221 on: December 01, 2014, 08:41:26 PM »
Fantabulous
Go you!  Awesome!

pzxc

• Stubble
« Reply #222 on: December 01, 2014, 10:10:17 PM »
I switched to e-cigs a few months ago and never looked back.  It was amazingly easy -- I wish every smoker would try it because I'm sure many of you would find it as easy to switch as I did.  And although not as healthy as breathing only oxygen, the vape is certainly a hell of a lot better than inhaling burnt plant material.

fantabulous

• Bristles
    • My Crappy Little Blog
« Reply #223 on: December 02, 2014, 09:22:36 AM »
I switched to e-cigs a few months ago and never looked back.  It was amazingly easy -- I wish every smoker would try it because I'm sure many of you would find it as easy to switch as I did.  And although not as healthy as breathing only oxygen, the vape is certainly a hell of a lot better than inhaling burnt plant material.

I have tried e-cigs in the past and found them unsatisfying. I went somewhat high end with my vaping gear this time around. Not sure if it's the gear, better resolve this time around, or a combination. But so far so good. Definitely recommend smokers try them, and not even worry about switching over completely at the start. I somehow only managed to smoke for 2-3 days after getting my vaporizer, but I know it takes some people much longer or they relapse.

~$190 saved in 3 months for me, even with the more expensive gear I bought.

MrsK

• Stubble
« Reply #224 on: December 03, 2014, 06:15:21 PM »
I let myself smoke 2 cigs a day.  But somedays it is only one as I now only budget 2 packs a month or $14.  I think about how I "should" quit all together and then I think about how much I personally love my frugal habit.  I wish I didn't enjoy smoking as much as I do, but honestly it is right up there with my all time favorite things.  Sigh.  I like reading this thread to get other ideas about smoking.  In the U.S. there is so much shame involved. 

I love to take a walk at night and look at the stars and smoke and think.  The one cig before bed I have never been able to give up.

whammer33024

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #225 on: December 05, 2014, 12:33:34 PM »
its been 3 weeks since my last cigarette.  one day i finished the last cigarette out of the pack before bed and decided it was just time to quit.  haven't had one since.  yes its been hard and i still have cravings, but they go away quickly. 

i will say that reading this thread and seeing the word "smoke" and "cigarette" brought on a craving.  something for those of you participating may want to think about

jordanread

« Reply #226 on: December 05, 2014, 01:27:10 PM »
its been 3 weeks since my last cigarette.  one day i finished the last cigarette out of the pack before bed and decided it was just time to quit.  haven't had one since.  yes its been hard and i still have cravings, but they go away quickly. 

i will say that reading this thread and seeing the word "smoke" and "cigarette" brought on a craving.  something for those of you participating may want to think about

Good for you on quitting. As far as seeing the words go, I have no desire to let them have power over me (also the smell, or being around people who smoke), but I see your point. Thanks for chiming in.

jordanread

« Reply #227 on: January 02, 2015, 01:39:13 PM »
Well, I did a shit job of keeping everyone's stuff updated, and for that I apologize. I am enjoying a smoke free life after a ridiculous amount of slip ups. I am just curious as to how effective this thread was in helping people. If you succeeded this year, do you think the thread helped? Resources, conversations, face-punches? Is it something worth doing again for 2015, maybe with a spreadsheet or something? Those of you who are still on the path to quitting, what could I have done better to help you?

I'll give it a week and see about the feedback. You've all got this, regardless of what happened.

face-punched

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #228 on: January 12, 2015, 10:43:47 AM »
Hello all! Since I joined the navy I haven't checked in, but I wanted to drop by and encourage those still trying. It has been almost a year and the savings amount to almost $2500. Keep it up for those who are still going, and try again for those who arent!

szmaine

• Stubble
« Reply #229 on: January 19, 2015, 04:19:22 PM »
Hi Guys. I bombed out on the quitting and haven't been here since. I'm not gonna jump on again yet but wanted to say great job to all those who keep on trying! I may jump on sometime again sooner or later. Right now I'm pretty busy working on other matters since my husband passed away a couple months ago. So I'll be around more asking about financial stuff....then resume practicing quitting until I get it right.

So hello again Jordanread and all...keep on truckin!

Congrad face punched, that is truly awesome!

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #230 on: January 20, 2015, 10:38:13 AM »
I'm sorry for your loss, szmaine. I hope you are doing okay.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

jordanread

« Reply #231 on: January 20, 2015, 11:26:48 AM »
Hi Guys. I bombed out on the quitting and haven't been here since. I'm not gonna jump on again yet but wanted to say great job to all those who keep on trying! I may jump on sometime again sooner or later. Right now I'm pretty busy working on other matters since my husband passed away a couple months ago. So I'll be around more asking about financial stuff....then resume practicing quitting until I get it right.

So hello again Jordanread and all...keep on truckin!

Congrad face punched, that is truly awesome!

Hey, whenever you are ready, we're here. Also, you have my condolences.

szmaine

• Stubble
« Reply #232 on: January 20, 2015, 11:57:59 AM »
Thanks Guys! I'm doing ok.

Michael792

• Stubble
    • Rising Ascendant
« Reply #233 on: July 12, 2015, 12:29:05 PM »
So......I'm going to say I'm going to quit. I've got most of a pack right here, but I need to stop. I don't want the long term health costs or the short term financial cost. I used to smoke up to 8 packs a day (only been smoking a year or so, but Korean cigarettes were cheap and I was stupid stressed.) As for now, I'm not really enjoying them anymore, either. I'm just doing it at this point because of the pain I get when I don't smoke. I need to quit being a pussy. I'll update once a week or so, I guess.