Author Topic: 2014 - Quit Smoking  (Read 65522 times)

unix_kung_fu

• Stubble
Re: 2014 - Quit Smoking
« Reply #150 on: June 01, 2014, 09:33:21 AM »
I am ready, please add me to the list. 24 hours, I'm vaping and not doing as bad as I thought.

jordanread

« Reply #151 on: June 01, 2014, 12:23:38 PM »
I am ready, please add me to the list. 24 hours, I'm vaping and not doing as bad as I thought.

You've been added!! Welcome!!

unix_kung_fu

• Stubble
« Reply #152 on: June 02, 2014, 09:25:30 AM »
At about $12/pack, I estimate I saved $24.. or $14 depending on the accounting.. I bought at $10 e-cig that is about 400 puffs or two packs. I made it through yesterday, and even drinking and watching the big game with most unfortunate results, I held up. Even sat around a table with a bunch of smokers and didn't even really consider straying from the plan.

I've been awake for a few hours now, e-cig sitting on the table next to me while I work, still haven't reached out to it for a puff yet. I'll see how long I can go, knowing it is right there. In the meantime, I'm going to mark down $14 on a spreadsheet and will add to that total for the month, and at the end of the month, xfer all of that into my high yield savings account.

The Cessation Nation app has been an inspiration and motivator as well (in addition to everyone in this thread!)

Hedge_87

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #153 on: June 09, 2014, 07:01:40 PM »
I quit chewing tobacco/smoking ~5 years ago (minus a couple alcohol fueled late night relapses) that for me was the hardest part getting past the association of alcohol and nicotine.  I wish all of you the best of luck. If I can do I'm sure all of you can too.

dharmabum

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #154 on: June 09, 2014, 07:35:01 PM »
Hey there jordanread!

How's it going so far? Quitting smoking was the best thing I ever did... and also one of the hardest (took me 8 attempts!)

jordanread

« Reply #155 on: June 10, 2014, 08:14:34 AM »
Hey there jordanread!

How's it going so far? Quitting smoking was the best thing I ever did... and also one of the hardest (took me 8 attempts!)

Not very well, but kinda good. I'm actually in the midst of drafting an update, and I'll have it posted in an hour or two.

unix_kung_fu

• Stubble
« Reply #156 on: June 10, 2014, 08:21:44 AM »
Just an update:

Day 10, I have smoked zero cigarettes. Even went out and got a nice beer buzz and hung out with a bunch of smokers on the beergarden. I have not smoked roughly 117 cigarettes in that time, and saved about $70, although it's really $50 I saved due to vaping supplies.

As long as I don't go out (which Im trying not to do to save money anyway) I don't even need to vape.

I hope everyone else is having as much success as I am. After 23 years of this habbit, I was ready.

jordanread

« Reply #157 on: June 10, 2014, 10:41:06 AM »
Well, here is my update. It's not happy news, but something good has come out of it. So I've made it to 3 weeks, 2 times since I started this challenge. At that point, the withdrawals had never subsided, and I was really a horrible person to be around. I mean that quite literally. I usually try to be a happy person, and it has been a long journey to become that. I had never been what I called a good person, naturally, and when I finally decided that I wanted to be better, it took a lot of work (hence the whole journey of self-awareness I referred to earlier).

3 weeks, and my withdrawals didn't subside one iota...it made me start to question a lot of fundamental aspects about my life.
Did all the work I did really make me a better person, or have I been self medicating subconsciously?
Who am I without cigarettes?
Are these stupid little things really that big of a part of me as a person?

3 weeks. Constantly miserable, being angry at everything, all those little things that I blew way out of proportion, and just wanting to be left alone. Damn near ruined a relationship of >5 years (details on that down below). So I started again, but this last time, with a passion. I smoked two cigarettes for every one I was smoking before. I actually broke 2 packs a day consistently for the first time in a long time. And still at that point. Grrrr. My body has been freaking out due to the consistent shifts in my physiology, which makes it harder to sleep, which makes it harder to bike in, which puts me in a bad mood, which...

Well that is where I currently am at. That being said...ONWARDS AND UPWARD!!! Here is what I am not going to do: stop the challenge, or pick the gauntlet back up. And here is what I am going to do: quit smoking. I'm still working on a plan, and I'm still going cold turkey. But here are the things I have put in place:
I negotiated a more flexible schedule, so starting tomorrow, I can bike the 10 miles to work, even when my sleeping schedule gets all messed up.
I've allotted specific blocks of time for meditation and breathing exercises. This may include guided meditation, but will definitely include brainwave hacking and binaural beats.
I'm starting a 30 day challenge of no alcohol (I might extend this out like I did previously to only drink water, but not sure yet)
I started reading the Allen Carr book mentioned earlier in this thread.
And this is the big one: I sat down and talked with my SO, and while she was definitely pissed about my behavior during withdrawals, we talked about how much better it would be once I get through them (and she would quit after that). One month. She said she'd forgive me in advance for an entire month of stupid withdrawal behavior.

So I'm resetting my stats, and I will commit to posting at least once a day. I don't have a specific quit date as of yet, but it will be sometime this week. I'll continue moderating this thread, and will freely offer face-punches and support to anyone who needs it. Also, if there is a reference or resource you don't have access to, just PM me and I'll see what I can do.

Rezdent

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #158 on: June 11, 2014, 10:05:57 PM »
Hey Jordanread. ..
Don't be too hard on yourself but don't give up either.
There's a theory that a human can NOT erase a habit.  Every time you repeat a habit it strengthens the neural pathways in your brain, kind of creating a permanent super highway that your brain stores as a survival mechanism.  Suggested solution is to create a different habit and repeat it.A.Lot.
I successfully quit a 3 pack a day habit by subbing shelled sunflower seeds.   It was hand to mouth like cigs - close enough to mimic that pathway.   Later I subbed toothpicks for seeds.  Yeah it was tough.   But easier than trying to live with a hole where the habit had been.
The downside is that it took exactly 1 smoke for me to reactivate that pathway after 20+ years smoke free.  Which makes sense regarding the theory that people can't completely eliminate a neural path...but they CAN change to a different path.
My update:  still vaping and getting nervous about the dwindling supply.

jordanread

« Reply #159 on: June 12, 2014, 08:56:39 AM »
Hey Jordanread. ..
Don't be too hard on yourself but don't give up either.
There's a theory that a human can NOT erase a habit.  Every time you repeat a habit it strengthens the neural pathways in your brain, kind of creating a permanent super highway that your brain stores as a survival mechanism.  Suggested solution is to create a different habit and repeat it.A.Lot.
I successfully quit a 3 pack a day habit by subbing shelled sunflower seeds.   It was hand to mouth like cigs - close enough to mimic that pathway.   Later I subbed toothpicks for seeds.  Yeah it was tough.   But easier than trying to live with a hole where the habit had been.
The downside is that it took exactly 1 smoke for me to reactivate that pathway after 20+ years smoke free.  Which makes sense regarding the theory that people can't completely eliminate a neural path...but they CAN change to a different path.
My update:  still vaping and getting nervous about the dwindling supply.

I'm not going too hard on myself. I'll get it. I'll detail some of this stuff in a later post, but the "easyway" method has some interesting points. The author seems to have a chip on his shoulder, and the book is a bit dated, but the perspective he's trying to encourage could be beneficial. I imagine I'll quit at some point this weekend. I'll update once I do.

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #160 on: June 12, 2014, 09:07:48 AM »
You can do it, Jordan!!

jordanread

« Reply #161 on: June 15, 2014, 09:53:29 PM »
You can do it, Jordan!!

Thanks! I did a quick test and went a day without. The good news is that some of the stuff I expected to come up certainly did, and I was able to shift my thinking about it. Still got pretty moody, even though I wasn't necessarily feeling moody. I think it's more that my tolerance for bull shit gets even lower, and I'm more in my head, making the withdrawals something to be happy about (as in I'm getting free of this stuff - one of the "easyway" things that had value) takes enough of my attention that I forget to think before I speak, which makes me dickish. Fortunately, it doesn't happen as often as last time, so I've got some good feelings about it this week. The other "plus" side is that I reset Cessation Nation to how I've been smoking, and the money saved option is ticking quite a bit faster. It's fun to see it go up so far in just a day. So tomorrow is the day (or maybe tonight), and I'll finish the smoking chapter of my life. Which will then be followed by the super rich, super buff, super biking Mustachian chapter. This is gonna be awesome!!!

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #162 on: June 16, 2014, 05:38:32 AM »
So tomorrow is the day (or maybe tonight), and I'll finish the smoking chapter of my life. Which will then be followed by the super rich, super buff, super biking Mustachian chapter. This is gonna be awesome!!!

Sounds great!  I look forward to hearing about the next chapter!

jordanread

« Reply #163 on: June 16, 2014, 07:32:15 AM »
Okay. I am currently smoking my last cigarette as I put the panniers on my bike. Cessation Nation is reset, and I'm off to work.

jordanread

« Reply #164 on: June 16, 2014, 09:10:05 AM »
According to Cessation Nation, had I not quit this morning, on average I would have smoked 2.12 cigarettes during the time it took me to bike to work this morning. W00T!!

unix_kung_fu

• Stubble
« Reply #165 on: June 16, 2014, 11:30:53 AM »
hang in there jordan, you got this!

I was just looking at my bank account and not seeing all the transactions at the convenience store, which ultimately wasn't just the smokes but some other things (peanuts, soda, etc) on impulse, that are no longer there.

Cessation Nation tells me after nearly 16 days:

Money Saved: $114.15
Not Smoked: 190.24

I keep thinking of these two things whenever I get the urge. Vaping less and less. Some people have mixed feelings on this, but it really really helped me the first couple of days, especially when having a beer or three. The 'Logic' e-cig is what I use(d).

jordanread

« Reply #166 on: June 19, 2014, 02:00:44 PM »
Today is going to be a challenge. Fun fact though, some of the stuff I did in preparation has really cut down on the withdrawal symptoms. Not very pissy at all, but I think the biking everywhere has helped. Almost went to far yesterday though. Had to take the dog in to the vet for a follow up, and started getting on my bike, grabbed the leash, and then realized it was 20 miles away. I could do it, but I'd have to get a trailer for the dog. Don't know that he can keep up with me for that long. His limit is usually around 15 miles in a go, as long as I take breaks for him. Ended up driving.

Today, though. Grrr. I'm on a clear liquid diet through tomorrow morning, and while I don't snack a lot, I do a touch of grazing if the cravings don't go away. That's gonna be interesting. I wonder how I'll do? Regardless though, I am really liking my success so far!!

jordanread

« Reply #167 on: June 19, 2014, 02:01:32 PM »
Oh, and everybody else:

Time for a check in!! How are we all doing? I'll leave this here, and then start sending out PMs :P

unix_kung_fu

• Stubble
« Reply #168 on: June 20, 2014, 09:53:22 AM »
Cessation Nation stats:

Money Saved: $142.46
Not Smoked: 237.44

This is motivation enough.

Rezdent

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #169 on: June 28, 2014, 06:22:25 PM »
Well I tried to quit vaping last week and failed.  Quitting tomorrow AM.

unix_kung_fu

• Stubble
« Reply #170 on: June 29, 2014, 01:08:24 PM »
Rezdent, I use the logic e-cig, the rechargable one. I have a low nicotine cartomizer attached, but soon I'm getting the nicotine-less cartomizers and will try that.

Not Smoked: 347
Money Saved (not counting $30 in vape supplies): $208

jordanread

« Reply #171 on: June 29, 2014, 04:04:07 PM »
Well I tried to quit vaping last week and failed.  Quitting tomorrow AM.
Rezdent,

You're still vaping only, right? What route are you taking?

Rezdent

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #172 on: June 29, 2014, 05:01:04 PM »
Yes vaping only - 18 mg.  Going cold turkey now. A bit foggy and scattered right now. I've attempted step downs before but had trouble with getting correct supplies.  Which led to cigarrettes and repeating the process.  I l stopped last week when I ran out, but had unusually high stress levels (that *should* be finished).  I love my family and my job so I bought enough  to last through this weekend.  I threw away my stuff this morning.
Game plan is to keep fruit juice and sunflower seeds on hand.  Plus a rubber band on my wrist to fiddle with - keeps my hands busy.
How are you doing Jordanread?

jordanread

« Reply #173 on: June 30, 2014, 12:05:17 PM »

How are you doing Jordanread?

Not too bad. Been pretty successful this last time. Did slip up when I had to do the Clear Liquid diet last week. Fortunately, I was able to realize that the cigarette didn't actually do anything that I always thought it did (i.e. it's a crutch, I'm going to miss it, it's a struggle and a sacrifice). Made it a lot easier to get through the withdrawals, and am back on track now. A few more weeks and all the nicotine should be completely out of my system, and I can update my status to a non-smoker. :D

This has been how I've felt every time I haven't smoked a cigarette:

unix_kung_fu

• Stubble
« Reply #174 on: July 08, 2014, 10:15:52 AM »
I am no longer vaping, or using any sort of crutch. It's been 48+ hours of any nicotine and I'm cool as a cucumber. I was going to ween the levels of nicotine from the vapes but then I saw this AWESOME VIDEO and it completely changed the way I looked at things.

It is about one hour long but I suggest anyone remotely interested in quitting to watch it all in it's entirety in one sitting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RP1ykPUTk_Q

Allen Carr's quit smoking the easy way. Don't mind the Dutch subtitles. It does a fantastic job at breaking down the myths and illusions we use to hinder ourselves from successfully quitting.

jordanread

« Reply #175 on: July 08, 2014, 10:26:09 AM »
I am no longer vaping, or using any sort of crutch. It's been 48+ hours of any nicotine and I'm cool as a cucumber. I was going to ween the levels of nicotine from the vapes but then I saw this AWESOME VIDEO and it completely changed the way I looked at things.

It is about one hour long but I suggest anyone remotely interested in quitting to watch it all in it's entirety in one sitting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RP1ykPUTk_Q

Allen Carr's quit smoking the easy way. Don't mind the Dutch subtitles. It does a fantastic job at breaking down the myths and illusions we use to hinder ourselves from successfully quitting.

Yeah, I've read his book. It's a really cool way of looking at things. I'm actually working on a full blog post about it. There isn't anything to give up.

unix_kung_fu

• Stubble
« Reply #176 on: July 11, 2014, 03:15:46 PM »
passed another big test, thursday night is my one indulgence, bowling league. won it all. before it would be the one night i'd smoke a crap ton of cigs, and usually drink a lot as well.

i had been a few days vape/nicotine free but past thursdays i'd (is this a phrase?) chain-vape with the smokers after i had a few beers. i didn't bring my vape w/ me because i knew i'd cave. i didn't even think about nicotine at all. still getting some mild cravings and adjusting, but it is much easier.

jordanread

« Reply #177 on: July 11, 2014, 03:18:19 PM »
passed another big test, thursday night is my one indulgence, bowling league. won it all. before it would be the one night i'd smoke a crap ton of cigs, and usually drink a lot as well.

i had been a few days vape/nicotine free but past thursdays i'd (is this a phrase?) chain-vape with the smokers after i had a few beers. i didn't bring my vape w/ me because i knew i'd cave. i didn't even think about nicotine at all. still getting some mild cravings and adjusting, but it is much easier.

You are rocking it!! I wonder how everyone else is doing.

otherbarry

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #178 on: July 12, 2014, 12:03:50 PM »
I noticed in the OP the link to Allen Carr's book. I feel that should be made 100 times bigger and take up the majority of the post. I don't know what it is about that book but since reading it in January I'm around people that smoke all the time with little to no inclination to join them. Before reading it I was a pack every 2 days smoker. I don't know if it's hypnosis or what but I highly, highly recommend anyway wanting to quit to read that book.

http://www.amazon.com/Allen-Carrs-Easy-Stop-Smoking/dp/0615482155

jordanread

« Reply #179 on: July 13, 2014, 11:12:05 AM »
I noticed in the OP the link to Allen Carr's book. I feel that should be made 100 times bigger and take up the majority of the post. I don't know what it is about that book but since reading it in January I'm around people that smoke all the time with little to no inclination to join them. Before reading it I was a pack every 2 days smoker. I don't know if it's hypnosis or what but I highly, highly recommend anyway wanting to quit to read that book.

http://www.amazon.com/Allen-Carrs-Easy-Stop-Smoking/dp/0615482155
It's a different approach for sure, and it does a great job of addressing the psychology behind smoking. The video that Unix kung fu posted is one of the DVDs of his for those who don't want to buy it. Once people read through the posts there are a few people who mentioned it works for them as well. I might get rid of some of the content in the first post now that this thread has grown.

unix_kung_fu

• Stubble
« Reply #180 on: July 15, 2014, 12:58:26 AM »
When the cravings got bad I kept thinking of that little monster in the video running around and just assured myself those were his death throws and I was choking that motherfucker out like the little bitch that it is. 10th day nicotine free, 44th day smoke free. I didn't have a craving before and overall I just feel like I have a bit more energy.

Another positive milestone; I got paid today. Looked at my previous CC balance statements and this one - my CC just happened to update the statement today as well. My monthly spend dropped through the floor, I had been better about going out to the bar, but I went to two somewhat expensive concerts, all that accounted for, I spent about $400 less than the average previous statements.

I paid the statement balance and put what I was saving before in addition to the extra $400 into savings.

unix_kung_fu

• Stubble
« Reply #181 on: July 25, 2014, 05:10:20 PM »
Got pretty drunk last night and had cigarette, even smoked pot for the first time in ever. I'm not resetting Cessation Nation or anything though because I have no desire to smoke and instantly realized I wasn't getting any satisfaction from it.

In a way I'm glad I did it.

MariaSouth

• Bristles
« Reply #182 on: August 14, 2014, 07:51:40 PM »
Hi all!

Thanks Jordanread for your PM and for being here!

I finally come back to report. To report my failure number one million, and my new attempt, the number one million one.

My last strategy was no strategy. Just quit. Cold turkey, from 35/day to 0/day. It only lasted three days. Then, back on over thirty. 

I started this new strategy last Monday July 21 and it goes as follows.

For the first week, do not smoke 30 minutes
-after I  wake up (7.30am)
-after lunch (1 pm)
-after I  get home after work (4.30pm)
-after dinner (9pm)

Then,  I add 15 minutes to the above periods every Monday. Right now I am at 75 minutes. Eventually,  I will only have very narrow windows between allowed periods. And then... I do not know. I should be able to quit more easily. Hopefully.

I do not count the cigarettes, but I guess I began with over  30 and right now am around 20 a day. Not sure. Awful numbers anyway.

I must say that I tried a different version of this strategy and clearly failed. But hey! I must keep trying!

Good luck to all of us, Jordanread, unix, Rezdent, and everybody kicking this sh-t. We will do it one of these days.

jordanread

« Reply #183 on: August 14, 2014, 08:23:45 PM »
Hi all!

Thanks Jordanread for your PM and for being here!

I finally come back to report. To report my failure number one million, and my new attempt, the number one million one.

My last strategy was no strategy. Just quit. Cold turkey, from 35/day to 0/day. It only lasted three days. Then, back on over thirty. 

I started this new strategy last Monday July 21 and it goes as follows.

For the first week, do not smoke 30 minutes
-after I  wake up (7.30am)
-after lunch (1 pm)
-after I  get home after work (4.30pm)
-after dinner (9pm)

Then,  I add 15 minutes to the above periods every Monday. Right now I am at 75 minutes. Eventually,  I will only have very narrow windows between allowed periods. And then... I do not know. I should be able to quit more easily. Hopefully.

I do not count the cigarettes, but I guess I began with over  30 and right now am around 20 a day. Not sure. Awful numbers anyway.

I must say that I tried a different version of this strategy and clearly failed. But hey! I must keep trying!

Good luck to all of us, Jordanread, unix, Rezdent, and everybody kicking this sh-t. We will do it one of these days.

Have you read the Easy Way book, or watched the video posted above? They have some interesting thoughts on stepping down the use. Don't sweat the failure...it's a process, and you'll do better this next time. Keep rocking it!!

MariaSouth

• Bristles
« Reply #184 on: August 14, 2014, 08:38:18 PM »
Yes, I have read the book and it is really good. After that, I gave it my try number one million minus 1. It lasted 10 days. Then a bad day at work and home. And to the trash.

I know what it says about stepping down, but just do not know what will work for me. Maybe, in a few weeks, if I continue with my current plan, I will read the book again and quit cold turkey. I will have to do it some day.

Thank you so much for your attention, Jordanread.

jordanread

« Reply #185 on: August 14, 2014, 10:34:41 PM »
Yes, I have read the book and it is really good. After that, I gave it my try number one million minus 1. It lasted 10 days. Then a bad day at work and home. And to the trash.

I know what it says about stepping down, but just do not know what will work for me. Maybe, in a few weeks, if I continue with my current plan, I will read the book again and quit cold turkey. I will have to do it some day.

Thank you so much for your attention, Jordanread.
Not a problem. Do what works for you, and just remember that you got this!

jordanread

« Reply #186 on: August 18, 2014, 04:31:55 PM »
Got pretty drunk last night and had cigarette, even smoked pot for the first time in ever. I'm not resetting Cessation Nation or anything though because I have no desire to smoke and instantly realized I wasn't getting any satisfaction from it.

I just now realized I didn't respond to this, for which I apologize. I'm glad you made that realization, but remember that it's a slippery slope. I'm glad you smoked your very last cigarette, right?

unix_kung_fu

• Stubble
« Reply #187 on: August 18, 2014, 05:07:19 PM »

I just now realized I didn't respond to this, for which I apologize. I'm glad you made that realization, but remember that it's a slippery slope. I'm glad you smoked your very last cigarette, right?

That was the last one. I never have a craving or a desire to have one unless I've been drinking and I'm around a bunch of chain smokers. I don't go out as much anymore and usually stay away from the beer gardens (thankfully there is indoor smoking ban in my state).

It has been 79 days since I quit, saved approximately $570 and didn't smoke about 950 cigarettes. I think what I am most proud of was getting off the vapes and not being dictated and chained down by something day to day, hour by hour. It's just those one-off times few and far between I need to look out for.

jordanread

« Reply #188 on: August 18, 2014, 05:25:02 PM »

That was the last one. I never have a craving or a desire to have one unless I've been drinking and I'm around a bunch of chain smokers. I don't go out as much anymore and usually stay away from the beer gardens (thankfully there is indoor smoking ban in my state).

It has been 79 days since I quit, saved approximately $570 and didn't smoke about 950 cigarettes. I think what I am most proud of was getting off the vapes and not being dictated and chained down by something day to day, hour by hour. It's just those one-off times few and far between I need to look out for.

Way to go!!! I'll update the stats. You've done great! Keep it up. What other things have you noticed since you quit?

unix_kung_fu

• Stubble
« Reply #189 on: August 18, 2014, 08:02:17 PM »
I've noticed a higher net worth, easier to exercise, and getting annoyed when people I'm talking to need to leave to go outside to have a smoke :)

MariaSouth

• Bristles
« Reply #190 on: August 19, 2014, 07:53:49 PM »
Thank you guys for the motivations!!!
I have been thinking a lot about you two these days. You make me want to quit cold turkey right now. But I am afraid of failing again and losing faith completely.
I will continue with my strategy for a couple more weeks (now I am at 90 min after wake up, lunch, coming home and dinner) and will keep focusing on that day when I say 'no more tobacco for me'.

Please, keep the good vibes!

Cheers

jordanread

« Reply #191 on: August 19, 2014, 11:10:16 PM »
Thank you guys for the motivations!!!
I have been thinking a lot about you two these days. You make me want to quit cold turkey right now. But I am afraid of failing again and losing faith completely.
I will continue with my strategy for a couple more weeks (now I am at 90 min after wake up, lunch, coming home and dinner) and will keep focusing on that day when I say 'no more tobacco for me'.

Please, keep the good vibes!

Cheers
It's the only vibes we do here. You've got this, and know that you have support.

TheFrugalFox

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #192 on: August 23, 2014, 01:16:14 PM »
To those that are struggling, have you tried Champix?

I used it last year to give up in January - been smoke free ever since. I was a proper 20 - 30 a day, then another 30 - 40 if I went out partying.  Smoked for around 25 years. I tried giving up many times - found that Nicotine gum sort of worked, but would crumble when I had a drink.

Anyway, that whole "I need a cig to keep calm" - what a load of junk - I am way calmer now that I am not thinking about when/if I can have my next nicotine hit. Weirdly, people smoking around me does not bother me one iota - I do not have any compulsion to smoke, not even slightly. I thought it might be a constant fight but I do not even think about it know.

Anyway, if you struggling it might be worth checking out Champix - it's worked for a few of us, but one or two got a bit nauseous - I was fine.

jordanread

« Reply #193 on: August 23, 2014, 06:00:43 PM »
To those that are struggling, have you tried Champix?

I used it last year to give up in January - been smoke free ever since. I was a proper 20 - 30 a day, then another 30 - 40 if I went out partying.  Smoked for around 25 years. I tried giving up many times - found that Nicotine gum sort of worked, but would crumble when I had a drink.

Anyway, that whole "I need a cig to keep calm" - what a load of junk - I am way calmer now that I am not thinking about when/if I can have my next nicotine hit. Weirdly, people smoking around me does not bother me one iota - I do not have any compulsion to smoke, not even slightly. I thought it might be a constant fight but I do not even think about it know.

Anyway, if you struggling it might be worth checking out Champix - it's worked for a few of us, but one or two got a bit nauseous - I was fine.

There have been some discussions up thread about Chantix (which is Varenicline...of which Champix is a generic). You are correct, it's shown success in getting people to quit smoking. It does this primarily by blocking the neuroreceptors that react to nicotine specifically. Essentially, it takes away the ability of cigarettes to reduce your cravings, since your body can no longer process it. A couple of people on this board have tried it, one with success, the other not so much. Thanks for the suggestion, and congratulations on your success. Appreciate you chiming in.

citrine

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #194 on: August 25, 2014, 02:26:10 PM »
I have been following this thread and just wanted to say that I am so proud of you all trying to quit and even if you fail, you are getting back on track to quit again :)  It is the hardest thing I have ever done...even harder than drugs and alcohol (10 yrs sober).  I quit smoking Dec 8, 2013 because I had this awful, chest crushing cough/cold....so after a few days of not being able to smoke...I gave it up. 
Some days I think I was a lunatic for quitting since I only smoked 7-10 cigs a day....I have come to realize that is my addiction talking.  I crave cigs to this day and sometimes wish I could just have one more....but there is no such thing as one more, because I will go right back to it. 
I have also read Alan Carr's book and it is awesome....maybe I should re-read it every month just to get back on track :)

jordanread

« Reply #195 on: August 25, 2014, 02:41:29 PM »
I have been following this thread and just wanted to say that I am so proud of you all trying to quit and even if you fail, you are getting back on track to quit again :)  It is the hardest thing I have ever done...even harder than drugs and alcohol (10 yrs sober).  I quit smoking Dec 8, 2013 because I had this awful, chest crushing cough/cold....so after a few days of not being able to smoke...I gave it up. 
Some days I think I was a lunatic for quitting since I only smoked 7-10 cigs a day....I have come to realize that is my addiction talking.  I crave cigs to this day and sometimes wish I could just have one more....but there is no such thing as one more, because I will go right back to it. 
I have also read Alan Carr's book and it is awesome....maybe I should re-read it every month just to get back on track :)

Thanks for the support. I've re-read that book twice since I've quit. It's nice to have a refresher. My cravings aren't so bad anymore, and I'm picking up the workouts. It's one of the coolest feelings having my muscles fail before my lungs. :-)

fantabulous

• Bristles
    • My Crappy Little Blog
« Reply #196 on: September 01, 2014, 06:01:05 PM »
So. Hey. Late to the party but I'm going to be in on this soon. I'm going to try vaping again with the fancy pants stuff instead of my old unreliable eGo gear from 2012. Looks like everything will come in for me on Friday, so let's call 9/8 my stop date. Unless things don't get delivered on time or get lost. I find the gas station disposables too unsatisfying and don't really want to go with those as a stop gap, even for a few days. That is, I might be more inclined to buy two packs after using one of the cheap disposables.

The eGo stuff worked out ok for me for a while, and fed that fiddling/filling my lungs need. Then I started getting too much of a "this isn't as satisfying"/"uncanny valley" feeling from it. Not sure if it was missing the awful smell of smoking, or the coils wearing out and not producing as much vapor, or some combination of all that and more. Eventually I had too much trouble keeping the things working (even with replacement parts/etc) and just started smoking again.

I'm not planning on punching myself too hard if I slip up and smoke again. However, I am definitely the "bum one, buy a pack later that night" kind of person. If anyone's interested in the vaping stuff I'm going to try, I ordered the iTaste MVP and Aspire Nautilus tank, in addition to liquid/spare coils/cheapy spare tanks. I know that battery/tank issues have caused me frustration in the past, and I'm hoping to avoid that this time around by buying higher end stuff. So, $120 upfront for all that ridiculous vaping gear, vs my 6 pack/week x $7/pack = $42/week habit. $2182 a year. 4% of my pre-tax income. Why am I doing this to myself?
« Last Edit: September 01, 2014, 07:24:07 PM by fantabulous »

jordanread

« Reply #197 on: September 01, 2014, 08:27:24 PM »
So. Hey. Late to the party but I'm going to be in on this soon. I'm going to try vaping again with the fancy pants stuff instead of my old unreliable eGo gear from 2012. Looks like everything will come in for me on Friday, so let's call 9/8 my stop date. Unless things don't get delivered on time or get lost. I find the gas station disposables too unsatisfying and don't really want to go with those as a stop gap, even for a few days. That is, I might be more inclined to buy two packs after using one of the cheap disposables.

The eGo stuff worked out ok for me for a while, and fed that fiddling/filling my lungs need. Then I started getting too much of a "this isn't as satisfying"/"uncanny valley" feeling from it. Not sure if it was missing the awful smell of smoking, or the coils wearing out and not producing as much vapor, or some combination of all that and more. Eventually I had too much trouble keeping the things working (even with replacement parts/etc) and just started smoking again.

I'm not planning on punching myself too hard if I slip up and smoke again. However, I am definitely the "bum one, buy a pack later that night" kind of person. If anyone's interested in the vaping stuff I'm going to try, I ordered the iTaste MVP and Aspire Nautilus tank, in addition to liquid/spare coils/cheapy spare tanks. I know that battery/tank issues have caused me frustration in the past, and I'm hoping to avoid that this time around by buying higher end stuff. So, $120 upfront for all that ridiculous vaping gear, vs my 6 pack/week x $7/pack = $42/week habit. $2182 a year. 4% of my pre-tax income. Why am I doing this to myself?
Welcome to the challenge. We've had some pretty good results so far, and we all will do our best to support you.

UnleashHell

• Walrus Stache
  • Chapter IV - A New ... er.. something
« Reply #198 on: September 02, 2014, 04:20:41 AM »
what the matter with you all.
quitting is easy!! I've done it loads of times!!

bought my last smokes on Friday. Finishing them today.

I found the biggest help (the times it worked) was to focus on doing something else during the "habit" smokes. IE the - I have my first coffee - light a cig, need a break at work - go have a cig.
Find something to replace the habitual breaks and it'll become easier.

I now live in florida - if you hear of someone wrestling gators later in order to replace a habit... that's me....

actually I'm going to the local bike shop on the way home and browsing -then picking up some stuff to service and ride the bikes.

jordanread

« Reply #199 on: September 02, 2014, 06:04:49 AM »
what the matter with you all.
quitting is easy!! I've done it loads of times!!

bought my last smokes on Friday. Finishing them today.

I found the biggest help (the times it worked) was to focus on doing something else during the "habit" smokes. IE the - I have my first coffee - light a cig, need a break at work - go have a cig.
Find something to replace the habitual breaks and it'll become easier.

I now live in florida - if you hear of someone wrestling gators later in order to replace a habit... that's me....

actually I'm going to the local bike shop on the way home and browsing -then picking up some stuff to service and ride the bikes.
Glad to have you here.