Author Topic: 2014 - Quit Smoking  (Read 65439 times)

jordanread

Re: 2014 - Quit Smoking
« Reply #100 on: April 10, 2014, 03:38:55 PM »
@jordanreads...um...you don't actually have any kitties, do you? Please don't kill the kitties! LOL

Seriously, you are badass! But, paws off the kitties!

3 of them. One of them isn't too happy with his non-filler food. He really only likes the super cheap Meow Mix, which makes him throw up all over the place. Bizarre.

The other 2 are fine. I doubt I'd really kill the one, but only because he belongs to my GF, and she'd kill me. She's had him since he was a kitten and he is like 14 now. If it was my cat, he'd just be outside most of the time. For some reason the SO doesn't want her guys outside.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #101 on: April 10, 2014, 10:21:49 PM »
Interesting NYT article from two or three weeks ago about how smoking is nearly gone from the upper and middle class, but remains quite prominent among the lower class.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/25/health/smoking-stays-stubbornly-high-among-the-poor.html?_r=1

And, since the people who own stocks in the tobacco companies are disproportionately middle/upper class, it's an interesting wealth transfer tool from the poor to the rich.

Hope that helps some of you with the motivation to quit.  ;)
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

jordanread

« Reply #102 on: April 10, 2014, 10:34:06 PM »
Interesting NYT article from two or three weeks ago about how smoking is nearly gone from the upper and middle class, but remains quite prominent among the lower class.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/25/health/smoking-stays-stubbornly-high-among-the-poor.html?_r=1

And, since the people who own stocks in the tobacco companies are disproportionately middle/upper class, it's an interesting wealth transfer tool from the poor to the rich.

Hope that helps some of you with the motivation to quit.  ;)

Oh, with the income inequality argument. :-P Interesting read though. I've kind of assumed as much, but didn't know the numbers.

szmaine

• Stubble
« Reply #103 on: April 11, 2014, 04:11:22 PM »
Day 5, safe at home with no cigarettes! Dont even feel tempted really...the vaping is working really well. I haven't really kicked the habit at all...I just have an adequate and far cheaper substitute - so not feeling real badass or anything but do feel good about not wasting so much money.

Hotstreak

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #104 on: April 11, 2014, 09:17:29 PM »
Pffffft!  I quit smoking in 2011, no problem.

I ALSO quit smoking in 2012.  I quit twice!

I then also quit smoking in 2013.  That's a turkey.

I have not smoked in 2014.  It'll be a year in may.  I was never a heavy smoker, maybe 3-4 cigs a day.  I still feel it especially during stress.

szmaine

• Stubble
« Reply #105 on: April 13, 2014, 06:54:06 AM »
Today will make 1 full smoke free week! Savings =$54.60
I stopped at the local mom$pop to pick up milk and was asked "Cigarettes, honey?"
No thanks, I QUIT! She said that she and her husband did too...between them were smoking $10K a YEAR! They are also using eCigs. It's amazing how much this product is helping so many smokers...you watch, pretty soon there'll be a huge sin tax on these products!

hoodedfalcon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #106 on: April 13, 2014, 06:23:22 PM »
Alright folks. I am back in the fray. I took a slight detour but I have found my way again. No more. Took my Chantix today like a good little addict, and I am feeling fine. I can't count today as day one, but tomorrow WILL BE. And then day two and day three....I was feeling ridiculous amounts of stress with work last week, but a couple of bike rides to nowhere and I feel much better. Whew.

szmaine

• Stubble
« Reply #107 on: April 13, 2014, 06:50:39 PM »
Yeah!!!!!!! Hoodedfalcon!!!!! That's awesome!! Never give up! I think those bike rides to nowhere might come in handy after work too...

hoodedfalcon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #108 on: April 13, 2014, 07:24:30 PM »
I think bike rides to nowhere are the key to everything.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #109 on: April 14, 2014, 07:20:10 AM »
As the non-smoking child of two heavy smokers, I wish you all the best!  Those of you with children, I hope you are letting them see how hard this is, so that they learn from the get-go not to smoke.  I sure did, watching my parents and living with the clouds of second-hand smoke.

My parents did finally manage to quit, and one of their tactics may be of special interest to the MMM community.  Don't just track that money you would have spent on cigarettes, make it real.  Put the actual cash in a jar and keep the jar some place where you see it often.  And have a plan for it - when you reach $X, the money will be used for Y.  That sure helped them, it was a very visual reminder of all the money that would have literally gone up in smoke if they were still buying cigarettes.

Vanity is another good motivator.  Many years ago I worked in an area with a large elderly population, back when all the banking was done in the bank (no ATMs).  All the elderly ladies who smoked (still smoking in their 80's) had massive lip wrinkles, and leathery facial skin, the ones who did not smoke looked wonderful, soft skin and nice lips.  And around here, where the older francophone population tended to be heavy smokers, I have met men (yes guys, you too) who looked to be in their 80's, and were really in their 50's and 60's.  And of course if they look so much older because of the smoking, what are their insides like?

So when the urge hits, be strong, be financially thoughtful, and think how much better you will look 10 years from now if you have stopped smoking!

jordanread

« Reply #110 on: April 14, 2014, 02:12:39 PM »
Today will make 1 full smoke free week! Savings =$54.60
I stopped at the local mom$pop to pick up milk and was asked "Cigarettes, honey?"
No thanks, I QUIT! She said that she and her husband did too...between them were smoking $10K a YEAR! They are also using eCigs. It's amazing how much this product is helping so many smokers...you watch, pretty soon there'll be a huge sin tax on these products!
Way to go szmaine! You are rocking it for sure. I am hoping this thread becomes a go to spot for everyone who tries to quit here, so to that end, would you mind posting your experiences and resources for e-cigs on here? Maybe some health benefits, and details of your experiences.

I'll update your stats accordingly.

Alright folks. I am back in the fray. I took a slight detour but I have found my way again. No more. Took my Chantix today like a good little addict, and I am feeling fine. I can't count today as day one, but tomorrow WILL BE. And then day two and day three....I was feeling ridiculous amounts of stress with work last week, but a couple of bike rides to nowhere and I feel much better. Whew.

Way to go man!! I'll mark you as day one today (which happens to be my birthday, so thanks for that gift). Don't forget to check in!! Bikes are great for this. Keep it up.

Pffffft!  I quit smoking in 2011, no problem.

I ALSO quit smoking in 2012.  I quit twice!

I then also quit smoking in 2013.  That's a turkey.

I have not smoked in 2014.  It'll be a year in may.  I was never a heavy smoker, maybe 3-4 cigs a day.  I still feel it especially during stress.

Way to go, and thanks for chiming in. Congrats on almost a year!!

hoodedfalcon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #111 on: April 14, 2014, 09:58:20 PM »
Day one, take 23 under my belt! With the aid of Chantix and a super busy but less stressful day, my cravings were only around 1 or 2 on a scale of 10. So, count this as day 1, officially! Once I make it to Wednesday I will be in the home stretch, since I will be hiking in the woods for the rest of the week and really, no one wants to smoke while hiking in the woods, right?

I feel so much better than I did last week. Plus, I was getting tired of smelling like cigarettes again.

szmaine

• Stubble
« Reply #112 on: April 16, 2014, 04:31:41 PM »
Still here vaping away...but have stepped down to the next lower nicotine rung.
The unit I am using is a generic eGo CE5 that I stumbled on at the local smoke shop but is also apparently sold online, cheaper...
http://doublediamondeliquid.com/ProductDetail.aspx?PGId=5&PId=17
I am using the e-liquids by the same company...menthol for me.
I have nothing to compare them to, but the unit works well. I charge one battery while using the other, the head that attaches to the eGO battery is known as a "clearomiser"...I have no idea how long they will last but I just washed out on tank easily, dried with a blow drier as I was instructed by google results and reassembled...works fine. I don't plan on having this crutch forever!

Edit: health benefits? I don't really know yet, I guess cuz I didn't really have much problem before...I think I get winded a little less easy but time will tell since it's been such a long winter I'm out of shape from hibernating anyway. I'm not sure that vaping is totally harmless either, there is a lot of controversy on this and not much data. But it feels better...The smell of butts/smoking is disgusting to me already and when I see/smell others smoking I have no urge to get some...now that really IS something!
« Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 04:51:07 PM by szmaine »

jordanread

« Reply #113 on: April 17, 2014, 12:05:24 PM »
Still here vaping away...but have stepped down to the next lower nicotine rung.
The unit I am using is a generic eGo CE5 that I stumbled on at the local smoke shop but is also apparently sold online, cheaper...
http://doublediamondeliquid.com/ProductDetail.aspx?PGId=5&PId=17
I am using the e-liquids by the same company...menthol for me.
I have nothing to compare them to, but the unit works well. I charge one battery while using the other, the head that attaches to the eGO battery is known as a "clearomiser"...I have no idea how long they will last but I just washed out on tank easily, dried with a blow drier as I was instructed by google results and reassembled...works fine. I don't plan on having this crutch forever!

Edit: health benefits? I don't really know yet, I guess cuz I didn't really have much problem before...I think I get winded a little less easy but time will tell since it's been such a long winter I'm out of shape from hibernating anyway. I'm not sure that vaping is totally harmless either, there is a lot of controversy on this and not much data. But it feels better...The smell of butts/smoking is disgusting to me already and when I see/smell others smoking I have no urge to get some...now that really IS something!

Awesome. Way to keep it up. Not sure about the health benefits, but vaporized vegetable glycerin probably can't be as bad as all the other chemicals in an actual cigarette, which are known bad. Also, I here there are some pretty cool things that nicotine does as far as Alzheimer's. Still addictive as hell, but not as bad on it's own as thought. Still, don't smoke, it sucks. :-)

samburger

• Bristles
« Reply #114 on: April 19, 2014, 09:52:58 AM »
Sending good quit vibes to everyone!

I smoked my last cigarette last May, 11 months ago. I haven't had a single real craving since.

I highly recommend Allan Carr's Easy Way to Stop Smoking. Carr is the MMM of quitting smoking. The book is a little hokey, but it's a great face punch. I had no idea I could quit until I read that book.

szmaine

• Stubble
« Reply #115 on: April 19, 2014, 04:45:35 PM »
That's terrific Samburger! You are an inspiration!

Today is my 14th smoke free day and have saved $109.20!!
« Last Edit: April 19, 2014, 04:50:47 PM by szmaine »

hoodedfalcon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #116 on: April 19, 2014, 05:26:51 PM »
So, I spent the last few days in the mountains and I didn't think about cigarettes once while I was there. So, I think my recent slip up won't be too hard to recover from. I have learned, however, that no matter how "over" cigarettes I think I am, it is just a short journey back to full blown smoking. I can't just have a cigarette here and there with friends. I just can't, and I won't.

szmaine

• Stubble
« Reply #117 on: April 19, 2014, 06:14:47 PM »
That right! Never ever ever take another puff!! You can do it!!!

hoodedfalcon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #118 on: April 19, 2014, 07:23:00 PM »
szmaine, you are doing awesome! This thread has been a huge help. Such great inspiration! Well done!!!!!

jordanread

« Reply #119 on: April 20, 2014, 04:07:06 PM »
Way to go everyone!!!

HoodedFalcon, glad to have you back on board. You are rocking it!

szmaine, keep it up, I'm glad those e-cigs are working out for you.

Samburger, thanks for the good vibes and the recommendation. I'll add that resource to the tracking post.

Personally, I haven't been having too many issues with cravings, per se. I'm definitely still in the throes of withdrawals, but it's more like being angry and feeling shitty instead of craving smokes. I haven't been able to sleep for longer than two hours at a stretch until last night, and have had a constant splitting headache for almost a week. Nothing helps, and I just want to sit in the dark with a wash cloth. Still, I'm able to separate that from wanting cigarettes. Last night, I gave in and took some NyQuil, Ibuprofen, sleeping pills, and melatonin. Slept for about 14 hours. Feeling a lot better now, but still on a very short fuse.

The desire for cigarettes is definitely reduced, and I switch between hating the smell, and loving it when I smell it on someone else. Hopefully, I'll be indifferent by next weekend. It's been a rough road so far, but worth it. The reduced desire to do anything is really pissing me off, since I am usually pretty active. I am having to force myself to do...well, anything. Hopefully that will fade too.

Way to go all, keep it up!!!

hoodedfalcon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #120 on: April 20, 2014, 05:48:43 PM »
jordanread- you are doing really well. I've been exactly where you are. In fact, when I quit last May, I basically went into hiding for a month. I didn't go out, in part because I was just pissed and miserable but also because I know a lot of people who smoke and I just couldn't trust myself. Hopefully the headaches will go soon, and the sleep will come back. Those two things alone would piss anyone off. Be easy on yourself, and if you gotta take some stuff to get to sleep, I think it's worth it to get through this phase. But hey, at least the cravings aren't too bad, right?

samburger

• Bristles
« Reply #121 on: April 21, 2014, 07:33:57 AM »
Personally, I haven't been having too many issues with cravings, per se. I'm definitely still in the throes of withdrawals, but it's more like being angry and feeling shitty instead of craving smokes. I haven't been able to sleep for longer than two hours at a stretch until last night, and have had a constant splitting headache for almost a week. Nothing helps, and I just want to sit in the dark with a wash cloth. Still, I'm able to separate that from wanting cigarettes. Last night, I gave in and took some NyQuil, Ibuprofen, sleeping pills, and melatonin. Slept for about 14 hours. Feeling a lot better now, but still on a very short fuse.

The desire for cigarettes is definitely reduced, and I switch between hating the smell, and loving it when I smell it on someone else. Hopefully, I'll be indifferent by next weekend. It's been a rough road so far, but worth it. The reduced desire to do anything is really pissing me off, since I am usually pretty active. I am having to force myself to do...well, anything. Hopefully that will fade too.

Do you drink caffeine of any kind? If so, make sure you cut WAY down during a quit or it'll keep you awake. Nicotine effectively makes us insensitive to caffeine, so once you take the nicotine away, you'll have a whole new sensitivity to caffeine. I had to cut my coffee intake down from a 6+ cups a day to just 1-2 when I quit.

On the cranky/tired/lazy feelings: The reason we all feel like absolute garbage during a quit is almost always extremely low blood sugar. Nicotine triggers a release of stored energy in fat cells, which everyone's body does, but a smoker's body learns to rely on nicotine to regulate blood sugar.  Take away the nicotine and your body FREAKS OUT and can't remember how to release energy stores. It can take up to two weeks for your blood sugar to level out. In the mean time, drink a shitload of fruit juice.

Most of all, hang in there! It gets better.

szmaine

• Stubble
« Reply #122 on: April 21, 2014, 06:10:39 PM »
Ugh, I also had a shitty day yesterday, felt murderous..splitting headache...turns out that one of my units wasn't working right..I know they don't last forever but was able to resurrect one enough to recover today. I came very close to buying a pack but didn't.
I have weird side effects beyond this including hot flashes with sweats. I am around that age..but haven't had this before now so am pretty sure it is a side effect. Read some other folks talking about this on a vaping website...ugh!!

jordanread

« Reply #123 on: April 22, 2014, 09:02:59 AM »
Ugh, I also had a shitty day yesterday, felt murderous..splitting headache...turns out that one of my units wasn't working right..I know they don't last forever but was able to resurrect one enough to recover today. I came very close to buying a pack but didn't.

Glad you didn't. There were a few times where I subconsciously reached for one of the cigarettes I kept on me, so I know how hard it is to just want one. Once I had that weird brain disconnect where I was able to separate the craving with my actual wants. Once I did that, I started poking a hole in one cigarette near the filter every day (I fucking hate smoking a cigarette with a hole). Once they all had holes, I tossed them, but still keep the empty face-punch pack on me. I don't reach for them more than once a day (usually in the morning), but I'm pleased with my progress, as well as the progress of everyone here. You are all rocking it!!

I have weird side effects beyond this including hot flashes with sweats. I am around that age..but haven't had this before now so am pretty sure it is a side effect. Read some other folks talking about this on a vaping website...ugh!!
I get that on occassion too, and it almost is some type of purging thing for me. After a night of heavy drinking, or eating shitty food, or for a few weeks after smoking, I'll get very hot and sweat, occasionally I'll break out with zits as well. It's sucks, while it's happening, but I almost always feel better afterwards. Granted, I always feel like when I say it always feels better afterwards, it's because everything is relative...so that could be a B.S. justification.

Do you drink caffeine of any kind? If so, make sure you cut WAY down during a quit or it'll keep you awake. Nicotine effectively makes us insensitive to caffeine, so once you take the nicotine away, you'll have a whole new sensitivity to caffeine. I had to cut my coffee intake down from a 6+ cups a day to just 1-2 when I quit.

Yeah, it's not so much that, as even when I fall asleep, I can't stay asleep. Not a caffeine thing. Not jittery or anything. Pretty sure it's just my body rebelling to the shock of cold-turkey. Just going to muscle through it.

On the cranky/tired/lazy feelings: The reason we all feel like absolute garbage during a quit is almost always extremely low blood sugar. Nicotine triggers a release of stored energy in fat cells, which everyone's body does, but a smoker's body learns to rely on nicotine to regulate blood sugar.  Take away the nicotine and your body FREAKS OUT and can't remember how to release energy stores. It can take up to two weeks for your blood sugar to level out. In the mean time, drink a shitload of fruit juice.

Most of all, hang in there! It gets better.

I almost want to test this theory, but I don't know anybody who has a blood sugar meter, and I'm not willing to buy one. Would be some interesting data, because I am almost constantly in a state of ketosis, and my blood sugar is stable as a rock.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 10:22:23 AM by jordanread »

szmaine

• Stubble
« Reply #124 on: April 24, 2014, 11:15:16 AM »
Stepped down to 12mg e-liquid yesterday, so far so good...
I have marveled over how vague the "usual" descriptions of smoking withdrawal read...I mean just saying the words "mood swings" or "cravings" just doesn't do the topic justice at all. I have been having so many symptoms that I never heard of before, when you start googling those THEN you find out that others experience them too instead of thinking something else is possibly wrong with you.
I found this wisegeek blurb on the topic..the gold is in the comments section where many people have posted their experiences. Its a relief to see others have experienced these hot flashes/sweats, as well as this strange achey muscle/neck pain....but a bit scarey that it seems like it can go on a very long time for some people.

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-are-the-stages-of-nicotine-withdrawal.htm

jordanread

« Reply #125 on: April 24, 2014, 11:54:37 AM »
I have marveled over how vague the "usual" descriptions of smoking withdrawal read...I mean just saying the words "mood swings" or "cravings" just doesn't do the topic justice at all. I have been having so many symptoms that I never heard of before, when you start googling those THEN you find out that others experience them too instead of thinking something else is possibly wrong with you.
I found this wisegeek blurb on the topic..the gold is in the comments section where many people have posted their experiences. Its a relief to see others have experienced these hot flashes/sweats, as well as this strange achey muscle/neck pain....but a bit scarey that it seems like it can go on a very long time for some people.

Yeah,
I always take the list from smoking cessation side effects as the best descriptions. For example:
Some people have had changes in behavior, hostility, agitation, depressed mood, suicidal thoughts or actions while using CHANTIX to help them quit smoking. Some people had these symptoms when they began taking CHANTIX, and others developed them after several weeks of treatment or after stopping CHANTIX. If you, your family, or caregiver notice agitation, hostility, depression, or changes in behavior, thinking, or mood that are not typical for you, or you develop suicidal thoughts or actions, anxiety, panic, aggression, anger, mania, abnormal sensations, hallucinations, paranoia, or confusion, stop taking CHANTIX and call your doctor right away. Also tell your doctor about any history of depression or other mental health problems before taking CHANTIX, as these symptoms may worsen while taking CHANTIX.

The most common side effects of CHANTIX include nausea (30%), sleep problems, constipation, gas and/or vomiting. If you have side effects that bother you or don't go away, tell your doctor. You may have trouble sleeping, vivid, unusual or strange dreams while taking CHANTIX. Use caution driving or operating machinery until you know how CHANTIX may affect you.

When my little brother quit last year, he actually said the worst withdrawal symptoms hit him about 2 1/2 months in.

samburger

• Bristles
« Reply #126 on: April 25, 2014, 07:57:45 AM »
I have been having so many symptoms that I never heard of before, when you start googling those THEN you find out that others experience them too instead of thinking something else is possibly wrong with you.

Since you're suffering here, hear me out: Tapering off nicotine is one of the most painful things you can do to yourself. Of all the people who try to taper, only something like 1-3% stay quit for good. 

12 months ago I started tapering off, and it was SO MISERABLE--you know what I mean. You're living it. I had a terrible, terrible month before I switched gears and went cold turkey. I had three shitty days and then all was the right with the world.

I highly recommend Joel's quitting library, really excellent stuff. Here's one on gradual withdrawal: http://whyquit.com/joel/Joel_01_13_gradual_withdrawal.html. It explains why you're so miserable right now.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 07:59:43 AM by samburger »

jordanread

« Reply #127 on: April 25, 2014, 11:36:53 AM »
[...]
I highly recommend Joel's quitting library, really excellent stuff. Here's one on gradual withdrawal: http://whyquit.com/joel/Joel_01_13_gradual_withdrawal.html. It explains why you're so miserable right now.
That site and resources from it have been mentioned a few times, so I went ahead and added it to the resources section. It's got all kinds of good stuff on there. Thanks for the additional links to it.

face-punched

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #128 on: April 28, 2014, 02:10:36 PM »
Hello all!

As the month is coming to a close soon, I was wondering how everyone was doing? As always, great work to those who are doing well, good luck to those starting soon, and to those who are struggling, please don't give up! I am coming up on three months since my last cigarette and I have no cravings anymore. I have a hard time remembering what a smoke tastes like in a positive way. It really does get better!

Rebecca Stapler

• Pencil Stache
    • Stapler Confessions
« Reply #129 on: April 29, 2014, 07:45:07 AM »

And scary to think that nicotine has such a dramatic effect on your health that withdrawal creates all these long-lasting body changes! But your body will start to bounce back within 24 hours of having that last cigarette! Increased lung function, decrease risk of heart disease, etc. Good luck!

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #130 on: April 29, 2014, 08:08:30 AM »
Good luck with giving up everyone.:)

I used to smoke cigs and *ahem* other stuff but have given up for a few years now. I didn't even smoke that heavily but it was still really fucking hard giving it up. I still sometimes sniff the air when someone walks past me on the street smoking.:0

jordanread

« Reply #131 on: April 30, 2014, 07:54:51 PM »
As the month is coming to a close soon, I was wondering how everyone was doing? As always, great work to those who are doing well, good luck to those starting soon, and to those who are struggling, please don't give up! I am coming up on three months since my last cigarette and I have no cravings anymore. I have a hard time remembering what a smoke tastes like in a positive way. It really does get better!

Hey Face-Punched, thanks for checking in. I try to keep everyone's stats updated on the first post of this thread. We're doing okay. Some folks haven't been around, so I'll be PMing them just to stay on their ass.

For me, I'm pretty damn miserable. It almost seems like I'm somehow introducing nicotine into my system every couple of days, and going through withdrawals again. They haven't stopped, and it sucks. Fortunately, I still often get the disconnect between cravings and actually wanting cigarettes. They still smell delicious (depending on the brand) more often than not, but we'll see how it goes. Until I'm fully clear of these, I don't feel right asking my GF to quit. Her withdrawals usually last 2 weeks, and I've been the reason why she picked it back up, but between the two of us...one of us needs to not be in an awful mood. That being said, I joined the April Cycling Challenge and upped my bike commute game. That seemed to be helping (at least until the goddamn wind made me hate nature - cravings drop when the ride is pleasant). I'm also running and jogging (both of which I hate). If you see the pattern, I'm intentionally stressing my lungs, so the negative effects are more prevalent, and the desire to keep up repairing this damage. I am incredibly interested in biohacking techniques, and have researched and experimented with brain-wave manipulation. I might start doing some binaural beats/lucid dreaming/self hypnosis, but we'll see.

I used to smoke cigs and *ahem* other stuff but have given up for a few years now. I didn't even smoke that heavily but it was still really fucking hard giving it up. I still sometimes sniff the air when someone walks past me on the street smoking.:0

An acquaintance of mine had really good success quitting smoking cigarettes by increasing the amount of pot she smoked until the nicotine dependence went away, and then dropped the pot smoking back to earlier levels.

And scary to think that nicotine has such a dramatic effect on your health that withdrawal creates all these long-lasting body changes! But your body will start to bounce back within 24 hours of having that last cigarette! Increased lung function, decrease risk of heart disease, etc. Good luck!

One of the things that keeps me going is the knowledge that the human body is so awesome that the damage starts getting measurably repaired after 10 minutes. That's one of the reasons I like Cessation Nation, it keeps track of your last smoke, and you get to see the health benefits in chart form. :-)

face-punched

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #132 on: May 20, 2014, 02:16:03 PM »
Hello all!

I know the gauntlet has been thrown and the official challenge is over, but I wanted to let everyone know that I finally sat down and looked closely at what I'm not spending on smokes anymore. ($715.85 since I quit.) That being said, I actually save a lot more since I no longer walk into a convenience store every day or two and buy soda/snacks/gatorade etc. that I have gone back and estimated to be more than $150. Total savings since February add up to be at least $865.85! It really adds up everyone, so keep it up or start again, whichever fits, and feel better!

jordanread

« Reply #133 on: May 20, 2014, 03:09:34 PM »
Hello all!

I know the gauntlet has been thrown and the official challenge is over, but I wanted to let everyone know that I finally sat down and looked closely at what I'm not spending on smokes anymore. ($715.85 since I quit.) That being said, I actually save a lot more since I no longer walk into a convenience store every day or two and buy soda/snacks/gatorade etc. that I have gone back and estimated to be more than $150. Total savings since February add up to be at least $865.85! It really adds up everyone, so keep it up or start again, whichever fits, and feel better!

This challenge is for the whole year. I'll update your stats. Way to keep rocking. I slipped up a couple of times, but the SO quit yesterday (e-cigs) so it should make things a bit easier going forward.

Ambition89

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #134 on: May 20, 2014, 03:56:16 PM »
SMOQUIT is a great app that tracks how much money you have saved since you quit smoking. It also tracks the days that you have quit, the days you have extended your life, and the total amount of cigarettes you've saved since you quit smoking. Pretty useful app to help with the motivation. Sometimes when I have fallen off the wagon I look at the numbers I already have and no I don't want to get back into smoking and have to start over.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #135 on: May 20, 2014, 07:22:17 PM »
Did you all see the rash of news articles last week that e-cigs don't help people quit?

Here's one example: E-Cigarettes Don’t Actually Help People Quit Smoking, According To 84 Different Studies

Excerpt:
Smokers who use e-cigarettes are actually less likely to quit smoking than smokers who aren’t using e-cigarettes.

Something to consider if you're trying to quit and were thinking about trying e-cigs.  :)

Good luck Strong willpower to everyone trying to quit!
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

face-punched

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #136 on: May 21, 2014, 08:07:28 AM »
I didn't realize this was a whole year challenge. That is awesome, and I will check out that app! Thanks everybody!
Edit: well poo. I don't use any apple devices. Is there something equivalent for windows phone?

Editx2: Found one! If anyone else uses windows phone, kicksmoking has all the same functions it looks like. It even has push notifications when you cross health milestones and stuff. I love it!
« Last Edit: May 21, 2014, 08:29:40 AM by face-punched »

jordanread

« Reply #137 on: May 21, 2014, 08:45:07 AM »
Did you all see the rash of news articles last week that e-cigs don't help people quit?

Here's one example: E-Cigarettes Don’t Actually Help People Quit Smoking, According To 84 Different Studies

Excerpt:
Smokers who use e-cigarettes are actually less likely to quit smoking than smokers who aren’t using e-cigarettes.

Something to consider if you're trying to quit and were thinking about trying e-cigs.  :)

Good luck Strong willpower to everyone trying to quit!

I remember having a conversation about that when they first came out. I am not sure what came first, people thinking about using them to quit, or the marketing. Originally, I always thought they were marketed to make you smoke more, in places (like airplanes, restaurants, etc) where they normally don't allow cigarettes anymore. I think that's what the article was saying, meaning that most people don't make the switch to e-cigs, just use them when they can't smoke a regular cigarette. However, I have seen people (anecdotal evidence...I know) who do make the full  time switch and seem to have success in at least cutting back the amount they spend, and stepping down the nicotine level. Take a look at szmaine's experiences in this thread. My GF started an e-cig on Monday, so we'll see how she does with that. Also, nicotine in and of itself (while still highly addictive, and mostly not good for you) isn't the biggest source of health risks in cigarettes, and hopefully, some of that is also removed from the e-cigs. At some point, I'll find the studies that I looked at before. One of the things that article mentioned that I didn't think of was how the atomizer in an e-cig can potentially "atomize" air pollution. Interesting stuff on it.

Face-Punched and Amibition89, I'll update the resources section in the first post to reflect those two apps for iPhone and Windows Phone as well. Thanks for the recommendations.

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #138 on: May 21, 2014, 09:58:55 AM »
There was an article in yesterday's NYTimes, citing a big study in England which concluded that e-cigs DO help people quit smoking.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/21/health/study-gives-e-cigarettes-edge-in-helping-smokers-quit.html?ref=health

From the article:  "A large study in England has found that smokers trying to quit were substantially more likely to succeed if they used electronic cigarettes than over-the-counter therapies such as nicotine patches or gum. These results offered encouraging but not definitive evidence in the contentious debate about the risks and benefits of these increasingly popular smoking devices."

Good luck to everyone working on this challenge!

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #139 on: May 21, 2014, 10:28:10 AM »
There was an article in yesterday's NYTimes, citing a big study in England which concluded that e-cigs DO help people quit smoking.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/21/health/study-gives-e-cigarettes-edge-in-helping-smokers-quit.html?ref=health

From the article:  "A large study in England has found that smokers trying to quit were substantially more likely to succeed if they used electronic cigarettes than over-the-counter therapies such as nicotine patches or gum. These results offered encouraging but not definitive evidence in the contentious debate about the risks and benefits of these increasingly popular smoking devices."

Good luck to everyone working on this challenge!

I saw that, but it seems the vast majority of studies so far say the opposite, so I'd take it with a grain of salt.

Either way, it doesn't matter, because whatever works for you is the best way to go.  :)

MariaSouth

• Bristles
« Reply #140 on: May 27, 2014, 08:41:22 PM »
Hi everybody. I am in!!
Hopefully tomorrow, after 12 years, I will be a non-smoker.

Good luck to all of us!!
JUST DONT LIGHT THAT CIGARETTE!

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #141 on: May 27, 2014, 08:46:51 PM »
Yay MariaSouth!!  Sending you positive thoughts as you take on this challenge!!

face-punched

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #142 on: May 28, 2014, 02:30:32 PM »
MariaSouth, good luck on the journey! It is simple but very difficult to do just what you said. Just don't light another smoke. I am happily coming up on four months smoke free, and I want you to know it gets easier!

jordanread

« Reply #143 on: May 28, 2014, 02:32:05 PM »
Hi everybody. I am in!!
Hopefully tomorrow, after 12 years, I will be a non-smoker.

Good luck to all of us!!
JUST DONT LIGHT THAT CIGARETTE!

I've added you to the tracking post (1st comment on this topic). Good luck. I'm restarting this week, too, since I suck. :-)

MariaSouth

• Bristles
« Reply #144 on: May 28, 2014, 06:38:52 PM »
Thank you all so much for the good thoughts, I need them. And thanks for adding me to the tracking post! What a responsability!

First day, no cigarette, after 30 a day for 12 years (with a few ultra short interrumptions).
And it was not an easy day, at work or at home. But I made it.

The problem is not all the years I smoked or the possible future thousands of cigarettes I might smoke. The problem is only the next cigarette. So DONT LIGHT THAT CIGARETTE.

I try to remember that if I light that single one, then everything falls down and I loose and I will find myself looking for strength again, for the next five months until I am strong enough to try to quit again. NO. I just do not want to smoke anymore, I do not want to try to quit later again. I hate it.
Dont look back, dont look forward. Just realize that it is bullshit. And it does not deserve doubting about it, or considering just one more puff. If I dont light that cigarette, then the circle will be cut.

Hopefully!
Oh, boy I just want to feel free from this fuc-ing vice.

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #145 on: May 28, 2014, 06:42:30 PM »
So glad you made it through the day!

Sounds like you REALLY want to see this through.

You can do it!

DON'T LIGHT THAT CIGARETTE!!

jordanread

« Reply #146 on: May 29, 2014, 07:50:37 AM »
[...]
First day, no cigarette, after 30 a day for 12 years (with a few ultra short interrumptions).
And it was not an easy day, at work or at home. But I made it.
[...]

Yeah!! Small victories. Every time you don't smoke, you are freer than before. Great job. Stats updated accordingly.

Rezdent

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #147 on: May 29, 2014, 04:52:01 PM »
Well damn... I've been avoiding this thread but for some reason it popped up when I thought I'd clicked something else.
Sigh.
I was born a smoker.  Literally as my mom smoked throughout her life including pregnancy (died at 55 of cancer).  Got my own cigarette allotment by junior high. I was a 2pack/day for over 10 years.
Then I quit.  OMG was that hard.  I hear you guys.  It sucks.
Smoke free for 20 years and then for some insane reason I smoked a cig at a party.  Right back to 2 packs a day.
I tried to quit again multiple times.  I moved to e-cigs over 18 months ago.  No smoke but still not ideal.
What kept me quit for 20 years was knowing that just 1 smoke would mean I'd have to go through quitters hell all over again.  Which I am now working up the nerve to do.  Declaring here and now that I am not going to buy more.  Will take a few days to run through my supplies but I know I can't quit with anything around.
Thank you jordanread.  I needed this.

jordanread

« Reply #148 on: May 29, 2014, 09:58:28 PM »
Well damn... I've been avoiding this thread but for some reason it popped up when I thought I'd clicked something else.
Sigh.
I was born a smoker.  Literally as my mom smoked throughout her life including pregnancy (died at 55 of cancer).  Got my own cigarette allotment by junior high. I was a 2pack/day for over 10 years.
Then I quit.  OMG was that hard.  I hear you guys.  It sucks.
Smoke free for 20 years and then for some insane reason I smoked a cig at a party.  Right back to 2 packs a day.
I tried to quit again multiple times.  I moved to e-cigs over 18 months ago.  No smoke but still not ideal.
What kept me quit for 20 years was knowing that just 1 smoke would mean I'd have to go through quitters hell all over again.  Which I am now working up the nerve to do.  Declaring here and now that I am not going to buy more.  Will take a few days to run through my supplies but I know I can't quit with anything around.
Thank you jordanread.  I needed this.

I'll add you to the tracking post, and welcome!!! Just remember, it's not a section called "Throw Down the Gauntlet" because it's easy. It's a challenge. Bring in brain chemistry, and a lifetime of habits, and you know that you've got your work cut out for you. The support here is awesome, and I think that we'll end up surpassing the original thread. Congrats, you've made the first step, and now you are going on the tracking post...which means you just made a commitment to the entire world (permanently) of you throwing down, and they (we) will hold you accountable. While the verdict is still out on e-cigs (arebelspy mentioned some studies earlier), it's worked as at least a stop-gap measure (see some of the posts from SZMaine). What level of nicotine are you on? Have you identified what your main addiction is (physical, psychological, oral fixation...etc)? I'll be expanding on some of this stuff later, but just curious as to where you are right now.
I'm glad you finally sucked it up (even if it was subconscious...so you say :P) and joined us.

Rezdent

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #149 on: May 30, 2014, 03:59:17 PM »

I'll add you to the tracking post, and welcome!!! Just remember, it's not a section called "Throw Down the Gauntlet" because it's easy. It's a challenge. Bring in brain chemistry, and a lifetime of habits, and you know that you've got your work cut out for you. The support here is awesome, and I think that we'll end up surpassing the original thread. Congrats, you've made the first step, and now you are going on the tracking post...which means you just made a commitment to the entire world (permanently) of you throwing down, and they (we) will hold you accountable.
Thank you.  You're right, this is an awesome community and I am stepping up.

While the verdict is still out on e-cigs (arebelspy mentioned some studies earlier), it's worked as at least a stop-gap measure (see some of the posts from SZMaine). What level of nicotine are you on?

18 or 24 MG.  I try for the 18 when available.  FWIW I've tried Chantix and patches but neither worked for me in the past.  I haven't had actual "smoke" in well over a year since finding e-cigs.

Have you identified what your main addiction is (physical, psychological, oral fixation...etc)?
Not sure but I think mainly physical.  Withdrawal symptoms start in at around 12 hours and get worse.  Foggy, irritable, shaky, weepy, headaches... an irrational time bomb.
 I'll be expanding on some of this stuff later, but just curious as to where you are right now.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!