Author Topic: 2014 - Quit Smoking  (Read 65441 times)

jordanread

Re: 2014 - Quit Smoking
« Reply #50 on: April 06, 2014, 07:54:20 PM »
I found this website from jordanread's link about going cold turkey...I am finding it powerful good bedtime reading for this quitter's eve.

http://whyquit.com/joel/

If you need  some motivational face-punches on your journey, this is a good place to find it.

You've got this szmaine!!! It's not pleasant, unless one compares it to the long-run, in which case it's the best investment we can make!!

unix_kung_fu

• Stubble
« Reply #51 on: April 07, 2014, 09:06:05 AM »
I've been preparing myself lately. I wake up at 8am, work from 9am - 5pm. Smokes cost $12/pack here. I've been good about waiting until after work for my first one of the day, but I go to a bar and get a couple beers, I'll have smoked 5-6.

I know what needs to be done, I just need to do it. Not ready to throw the gauntlet down just yet, but I have an e-cig I'm going to try as a replacement and see how that works.

jordanread

« Reply #52 on: April 07, 2014, 09:09:41 AM »
I've been preparing myself lately. I wake up at 8am, work from 9am - 5pm. Smokes cost $12/pack here. I've been good about waiting until after work for my first one of the day, but I go to a bar and get a couple beers, I'll have smoked 5-6.

I know what needs to be done, I just need to do it. Not ready to throw the gauntlet down just yet, but I have an e-cig I'm going to try as a replacement and see how that works.

Holy Shit!!! $12/pack? Throw down when you are ready, and I'll add you to the list at the top. I'll probably keep this thread going throughout the whole year, just so it's all in one place for everyone.

unix_kung_fu

• Stubble
« Reply #53 on: April 07, 2014, 09:26:17 AM »
Yes.. $11.74 I think. We just pay and pay.

I don't want to do the math.  I estimate I have spent a quarter million or more on cigarettes alone in my lifetime. I'm a couple packs less a week than before, so there is something positive.

I will provide updates how it goes but I don't see large amount of success in the immediate future.

jordanread

« Reply #54 on: April 07, 2014, 09:28:15 AM »
I will provide updates how it goes but I don't see large amount of success in the immediate future.
Like hell. You'll see all kinds of success on this thread :-). There are quite a good number of resources posted in here too. We're here when you are ready...which should be next week or so, right? :P

hoodedfalcon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #55 on: April 07, 2014, 10:31:30 AM »
Alright folks...TODAY IS DAY #1...I tried to be good, but my recent tumble from the wagon makes continued tumbles easier to justify when hanging out with a friend who smokes and shares smokes freely. So, yesterday was a bad day, a really bad one, as I smoked 4 (!!!) cigarettes. So, today is a brand new day #1.....

jordanread

« Reply #56 on: April 07, 2014, 10:34:08 AM »
Alright folks...TODAY IS DAY #1...I tried to be good, but my recent tumble from the wagon makes continued tumbles easier to justify when hanging out with a friend who smokes and shares smokes freely. So, yesterday was a bad day, a really bad one, as I smoked 4 (!!!) cigarettes. So, today is a brand new day #1.....
WOOT!! Hit us up if you think you're going to slip. We've got you!!

hoodedfalcon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #57 on: April 07, 2014, 10:44:28 AM »

Thanks! I think it will be really helpful to have this awesome group of people cheering each other on!

jordanread

« Reply #58 on: April 07, 2014, 10:45:10 AM »

Thanks! I think it will be really helpful to have this awesome group of people cheering each other on!

Or yelling at each other cause we're all in a bad mood. :-)

schimt

• Bristles
« Reply #59 on: April 07, 2014, 11:51:31 AM »
I listened to an interesting podcast by "freakenomics" over the weekend with the topic of quitting smoking. As a non-smoker, not sure if any of you would enjoy it or be annoyed by it, but seeing that my mother and both brothers smoke, it peaked my interest.

jordanread

« Reply #60 on: April 07, 2014, 12:42:25 PM »
I listened to an interesting podcast by "freakenomics" over the weekend with the topic of quitting smoking. As a non-smoker, not sure if any of you would enjoy it or be annoyed by it, but seeing that my mother and both brothers smoke, it peaked my interest.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll listen to it later. For everyone else who is interested, you can get it here.

szmaine

• Stubble
« Reply #61 on: April 07, 2014, 05:27:05 PM »
I have done very well today with my new ecigarette. I did not put a patch on but decided to try this after much reading...so far I feel that I had an easier day than I would have on the patch. With the patch I might have had no cravings but would still have jumped up every so often to have a cigarette and then felt crestfallen when I realized what I wanted to do but couldn't. This way I really had no such moments...I would just use the vapor pen. It is sort of cheating a bit more than using the patch but I don't care whatever works. It is a different taste and sensation but similar enough to be satisfying just enough to get by.

Anyway, I don't think it's premature to say today was a success because I am home for the night with no cigarettes....but because I have my "puffer" I don't feel the acute anxiety that I'd feel otherwise.
I saved $7.80 today.

Here's some commentary on from people trying to quit by "vaping".

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2014/02/local_smokers_offer_thoughts_o.html

http://www.reddit.com/r/electronic_cigarette/comments/1fe207/do_you_vape_has_it_helped_you_quit_smoking_or/

jordanread

« Reply #62 on: April 07, 2014, 06:32:39 PM »
I have done very well today with my new ecigarette. I did not put a patch on but decided to try this after much reading...so far I feel that I had an easier day than I would have on the patch. With the patch I might have had no cravings but would still have jumped up every so often to have a cigarette and then felt crestfallen when I realized what I wanted to do but couldn't. This way I really had no such moments...I would just use the vapor pen. It is sort of cheating a bit more than using the patch but I don't care whatever works. It is a different taste and sensation but similar enough to be satisfying just enough to get by.

Anyway, I don't think it's premature to say today was a success because I am home for the night with no cigarettes....but because I have my "puffer" I don't feel the acute anxiety that I'd feel otherwise.
I saved $7.80 today.

Here's some commentary on from people trying to quit by "vaping".

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2014/02/local_smokers_offer_thoughts_o.html

http://www.reddit.com/r/electronic_cigarette/comments/1fe207/do_you_vape_has_it_helped_you_quit_smoking_or/

Way to rock day 1!! I'll update your stats accordingly. Way to go!!

szmaine

• Stubble
« Reply #63 on: April 07, 2014, 06:40:01 PM »
Thanks!! I feel a subdued and cautious optimism. Getting through a weekend will be the hard part but I've got a whole week to get in the groove for it.

jordanread

« Reply #64 on: April 07, 2014, 06:42:53 PM »
Thanks!! I feel a subdued and cautious optimism. Getting through a weekend will be the hard part but I've got a whole week to get in the groove for it.

I get that for sure. However, screw caution... Put that optimism gun on full auto and go all Tony Montana (minus the cocaine... No need replacing one vice with another) 😁

szmaine

• Stubble
« Reply #65 on: April 08, 2014, 07:24:05 PM »
Day two, made it home safe with no cigarettes. Saved another $7.80.
I feel that the first 7 days, in particular, the weekend will be the hardest....at work it's harder to smoke much anyway, but also I'll want a couple beers at some point and I really think that could be a problem....WAAAAAHH!!!!Complainy-pants alert!
I guess that means I'll be saving in the beer department too.

How's everyone else doing?
« Last Edit: April 08, 2014, 07:28:46 PM by szmaine »

hoodedfalcon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #66 on: April 08, 2014, 07:31:09 PM »
szmaine- That is awesome news! Way to go. I wish I had such great news. I did make it home without cigarettes, but I wanted one badly. Just one, you see. So I decided to distract myself. Went on a three mile walk with the pooch. All was well until I got back home from the walk and well, I got in my car to go buy cigarettes. I know it doesn't help, but I am really disappointed in myself, first for starting back in the first place, and second, for falling back so solidly into my old habits. I am nothing but excuses at this point.

UGH.

szmaine

• Stubble
« Reply #67 on: April 08, 2014, 07:46:02 PM »
I know exactly how you feel hoodfalcon...I can't tell you how many times I have done the same thing just like that. Not a good feeling.
So you are not using Chantix or any other helpers at this point? Maybe you should consider it since you really are not so far away from a good stretch without the smokes. The vaping is really helping me better than the patch, because I still have the smoking-like activity. If I tried to go cold turkey like you I have gone a bought a pack within hours I have no doubt.

jordanread

« Reply #68 on: April 08, 2014, 07:55:10 PM »
Day two, made it home safe with no cigarettes. Saved another $7.80.
I feel that the first 7 days, in particular, the weekend will be the hardest....at work it's harder to smoke much anyway, but also I'll want a couple beers at some point and I really think that could be a problem....WAAAAAHH!!!!Complainy-pants alert!
I guess that means I'll be saving in the beer department too.

How's everyone else doing?

I'll update your stats accordingly. Way to go!!

Personally, I'm in a really bad mood, but managing. The whole 10 smokes in a pack thing is friggin' hard!! I know from past experience that it's easier than not having any, but still...jeez it's tempting. I'm actually really glad that I posted it here for the global accountability. I did just successfully sell my super anti-mustachian jeep, and the 'new' sentra got me up to Denver today, but still needs some major work (most likely electrical). That means that I will be riding my bike almost exclusively. I rode it home yesterday, and holy shit I was dying for the first 3 miles. Didn't even want a cigarette when I got home. Hopefully that is going to help. Plus I'll be all buff and stuff. :-)

Now, I recently did a 30 day challenge where I only drank water for 30 days, and it seems like that broke the link between drinking and smoking. The good is that I can drink and not want to smoke. The bad is that when the cravings get too bad, I drink a bit more, and get a nice little buzz. I think I'm okay with that for now, especially with the biking thing (can't drink excessively, and then wake up and ride a bike 10 miles...at least not 2 days in a row), so I'm taking the win.

[...congrats to szmaine...self-pity stuff...excusitis...]

Went on a three mile walk with the pooch. All was well [...other stuff...]
UGH.

Fuck You HoodedFalcon. Take a longer walk tomorrow. You barely mentioned the best part:

I did make it home without cigarettes

Hell yeah you did!!! And tomorrow you'll make it even longer. The day after that, even longer. And eventually, you'll be a non-smoking Mustachian, with all kinds of money in the bank. How much did you save by not smoking until then? I'll update your stats accordingly. I don't need to give you shit, and neither do you...you just get to go through those first stages of withdrawals again. :P

You've got this, my man. Let's see how long you can go tomorrow!!!

hoodedfalcon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #69 on: April 08, 2014, 08:44:13 PM »
So you are not using Chantix or any other helpers at this point?

Currently not using anything but my failed willpower. I have some leftover Chantix and I have put it in my work bag to take tomorow at lunch. It's really just the evenings I need help with. So, fingers crossed.

[...congrats to szmaine...self-pity stuff...excusitis...]

Went on a three mile walk with the pooch. All was well [...other stuff...]
UGH.

Fuck You HoodedFalcon. Take a longer walk tomorrow. You barely mentioned the best part:

I did make it home without cigarettes

Hell yeah you did!!! ...How much did you save by not smoking until then? I'll update your stats accordingly. I don't need to give you shit, and neither do you...you just get to go through those first stages of withdrawals again. :P

Ahh! And this is why I love this forum! Just the kick in the pants I needed.

As far as money saved in the nearly 10 months I didn't smoke. Let's take 40 weeks x 5 packs/week @$6.50 each=$1300.00!
So, I've bought 3 packs now...I am $19.50 in the hole. Bah. 

jordanread

« Reply #70 on: April 08, 2014, 08:48:27 PM »

When you smoked full time (last week) you probably smoked more than you did today, right? Let's think short term for now. Focus on the little wins. How much did you save by not smoking until after the dog walk?

szmaine

• Stubble
« Reply #71 on: April 08, 2014, 08:50:38 PM »
Hoodedfalcon, you gotta figure out what to do with that pack of butts tonight...get a plan quick, are you gonna smash them? Or what? Sit and ask your self....do I really want to still be doing this in 10 years...20 years? Every day is a new day to start over. Get back on the Chantix!! Ok - I see you just posted..yes, take the GD Chantix and don't mess around anymore...now start figuring out what you are gonna do at home differently to distract yourself...exercise? Hobby? Something? How long can you stay on Chantix?

Doing great, jordanreads! I don't know how you can keep them around! Sitting there, mocking you....Do you give them the finger every so often? The biking I think will really help you feel stronger about not smoking...your lung function will increase so much faster with a good work out.

My employer recently gave all employees free access to the university fitness center. I should really use it but need to get a couple weeks further along to avoid public phlegm hacking episodes.

hoodedfalcon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #72 on: April 08, 2014, 08:53:02 PM »

When you smoked full time (last week) you probably smoked more than you did today, right? Let's think short term for now. Focus on the little wins. How much did you save by not smoking until after the dog walk?

Hmm...Well, when I smoke, I go full throttle. So, had I bought smokes right after work as opposed to 7PM, we are only talking about two hours. So, two cigarettes = .65? I will take it.

jordanread - not sure what you do for a living, but you are a good no smoking coach!

hoodedfalcon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #73 on: April 08, 2014, 08:59:01 PM »
Hoodedfalcon, you gotta figure out what to do with that pack of butts tonight...get a plan quick, are you gonna smash them? Or what? Sit and ask your self....do I really want to still be doing this in 10 years...20 years? Every day is a new day to start over. Get back on the Chantix!! Ok - I see you just posted..yes, take the GD Chantix and don't mess around anymore...now start figuring out what you are gonna do at home differently to distract yourself...exercise? Hobby? Something? How long can you stay on Chantix?

My employer recently gave all employees free access to the university fitness center. I should really use it but need to get a couple weeks further along to avoid public phlegm hacking episodes.

This is a very good point, and I've been thinking about trying the stare them down approach. Not sure it would work for me, but if I could do that, I would feel utterly dominant. I am going to take the Chantix  tomorrow and plan some sort of away from home exercise adventure every day after work. Exercise really does help - you should totally take advantage of the fitness center. You don't have to go all nutso phlegm inducing...just a walk on the treadmill or something. Nothing major.

jordanread

« Reply #74 on: April 08, 2014, 09:08:36 PM »

If exercise seems to help, I foresee a half marathon for you and the dog. :-)

Doing great, jordanreads! I don't know how you can keep them around! Sitting there, mocking you....Do you give them the finger every so often?
If by "every so often" you mean on an hourly basis...then yes. And then I feel guilty, because there is MMM getting ready to punch me in the face, at which point I do the baby thing, because I didn't give in.

The biking I think will really help you feel stronger about not smoking...your lung function will increase so much faster with a good work out.

One of the biggest issues I've had is that I don't feel bad from smoking. I'm in pretty good shape, bike a fair amount, hike 14ers regularly, etc...

Upping the speed and making it a major time investment help more than anything. For some reason (age?) I can still hit 70% of my max heart rate without issue. Gotta up it to 80% then. :-)

Fuck that! Take pride in the fact that you are expelling all that shit from your body. Anytime someone glances at you funny, just say that you are doing what they are doing, and repairing lung damage on top of it.

jordanread - not sure what you do for a living, but you are a good no smoking coach!

I'm just a lowly software engineer going through (really fucking bad) withdrawals. I also happen to be super self-aware; couple that with a passion for human behavior and being a dick by nature, I am particularly suited to providing face punches and kicks in the pants. I take no shit, I give no shit. Glad that works for you!!

In all honesty, I find it easier to provide advice to others than follow it myself, but typing it out helps me more than internal self-talk. So thank you all for taking this journey with me.

P.S. I didn't go searching for pictures of babies (except the "Hell Yeah" baby), but a theme developed, babies don't smoke (often), and I'm just going with it!!
« Last Edit: April 08, 2014, 09:13:34 PM by jordanread »

szmaine

• Stubble
« Reply #75 on: April 08, 2014, 09:15:06 PM »
Hooded falcon,
I've been thinking about trying the stare them down approach. Not sure it would work for me, but if I could do that, I would feel utterly dominant.

If you are really going to try to stare them down  you should at least decorate them with some meaningful art like jordanreads...
Personally, I think it's total denial to think you can stare them down when it will matter the most...when you are weak! You should dominate their ass by smashing them under your heel into unsalvagable bits!

szmaine

• Stubble
« Reply #76 on: April 08, 2014, 09:25:18 PM »
Yep, that's how you end up still doing it at 47... Not feeling bad from smoking...I always could out hike the non- smoking hikers, do aerobics with no more start up trouble than anyone else...now would be different, though I am still in good salvegable condition. The gig is up!

jordanread

« Reply #77 on: April 08, 2014, 09:27:00 PM »
Hooded falcon,
I've been thinking about trying the stare them down approach. Not sure it would work for me, but if I could do that, I would feel utterly dominant.

If you are really going to try to stare them down  you should at least decorate them with some meaningful art like jordanreads...
Personally, I think it's total denial to think you can stare them down when it will matter the most...when you are weak! You should dominate their ass by smashing them under your heel into unsalvagable bits!

Just an FYI, the first time I had success with this, I only had 3 cigarettes. One at work, attached to one of those plastic frame things. In the background was an index card with my YTD spending on smokes, and a note that said that scientifically, a craving passes if not fulfilled. One in the car, hung from the rear view mirror with a twine noose. One at home, on the entertainment center, with a note that told me how much of a bitch I was...that this cigarette would be the start of my relapse (it was insulting enough that even once I started smoking again, that one went into the trash).

Just one of those things I suppose.

[...] The gig is up!

Not a gig, just a speed bump!!

hoodedfalcon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #78 on: April 08, 2014, 09:30:45 PM »
Hooded falcon,

Maybe some duct tape art? Part of me is all "I've already spent the money" and the other part of me is just ashamed. The truth is, if they are here when I get home from work tomorrow, I will be smoking them. I know this. I wish I could hide them from myself and then forget where I put them. And I know this will sound shitty, but while I was glad for the 10 months without smoking, I never ever stopped wanting them, and that really sucked. I am like a kid in a candy store right now, and the only thing between me and those cigarettes is Chantix and a long long bike ride.

I know if I could walk in the door, see the pack (covered in duct tape) and walk back out with my bike without passing GO, I will have won the battle and maybe even the war. But I could also very well lose, though the war will rage on.

jordanread

« Reply #79 on: April 08, 2014, 09:46:43 PM »
[...] Part of me is all "I've already spent the money" [...]

If by that you mean that you've already sacrificed potential gains by buying a pack and smoking it, then you are correct. However, if you mean that the money tied up in that pack is an investment in your future health, that can be turned into capital gains by not smoking them, you are more correct...and planning for the future. Come now, if you can't beat them, DESTROY THEM!! I want pictures too.

The truth is, if they are here when I get home from work tomorrow, I will be tempted to smoke them. I know am pretty sure of this. I wish I could hide them from myself and then forget where I put them. And I know this will sound shitty, but while I was glad for the 10 months without smoking, I never ever stopped wanting them, and that really sucked. I am like a kid in a candy store right now, and the only thing between me and those cigarettes is Chantix and a long long bike ride.

I know if I could walk in the door, see the pack (covered in duct tape) and walk back out with my bike without passing GO, I will have won the battle and maybe even the war. But I could also very well lose, though the war will rage on.

I fixed your comment. Don't worry about the war right now. And trust me, I know what you mean about still wanting them. My plan involves dealing with that part later. Once I'm at a month, I'll experiment, and provide my insight as to the best way to handle that. I don't buy into the whole "are you happy living the rest of your life at a <such and such> level of happiness, without cigarettes". I am a goddamn biohacker, and I can fix this!!!

szmaine

• Stubble
« Reply #80 on: April 08, 2014, 09:51:08 PM »
Yes, I know those parts of you like the back of my hand because I have the same parts...we are addicts, plain and simple.

What I'd tell myself about the "already spent the money" thing is that's it's not a waste to smash them anymore than it's a waste to smoke them. It's not like throwing good food away!

Lol. Saw your latest post, jordanreads...way ahead of me! You are an awesome coach!

jordanread

« Reply #81 on: April 08, 2014, 10:19:33 PM »
Lol. Saw your latest post, jordanreads...way ahead of me! You are an awesome coach!

I started typing a snarky reply about how I'm not that great, just angry, going through withdrawals, and telling you all what I subconsciously need to hear. However, I realized that I am (hopefully) helping others out by writing these replies full of angst, anger, and round-a-bout support. You guys have made me aware that more than my own success is at stake here. Even if I do get weak, I can't let you guys down and slip up again, so thanks for that. All right, uplifted and well-adjusted Jordan is leaving the building. Time to get back to being the jerk-of-a-coach you've come to expect.

Do these inanimate objects full of poison seriously have enough to control to fuck up your future income and health? FUCK NO!!! And you know what? I haven't seen a single one of you who isn't badass enough to beat these little bitch ass cigarettes into the FUCKING GROUND!!!!! Who's got this? Oh...you do!!

Find out why these little things have such control over you. Is it the nicotine? Get a patch|lozenge|pack-of-gum and handle this bullshit addiction. Is it the oral fixation? Get some toothpicks|gum|pens and go to town!! Is it the stress in your life? Remove that shit!! It's not healthy, and doesn't contribute a damn thing to your life. Can't remove it? Use this as an opportunity!! Run|Walk|Join-A-Gym|Climb-A-Mountain|Bike-To-Work|Do-Pushups|Do-PullUps|Do-Squats|Setup-A-Gym-In-Your[backyard|living-room|kitchen|garage|hallway]|Browse-Bodyweight-Sites|DO-SOMETHING.

You are taking on what some consider to be the most difficult thing someone can do. Breaking an addiction. But you know what? That's not the most difficult thing you are going to do. You are going to do so many other things. You are here, so you are going to spit in the face of consumerism and conventional wisdom. You are going to set it up so that you don't have to work until you drop. You are going to work until you don't feel like it anymore. Something piddly like a physical and psychological addiction doesn't stand a chance against you, and it doesn't stand a chance against me. So let's do this!!!!!

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #82 on: April 09, 2014, 09:07:06 AM »
I only skimmed, so maybe I missed it, but if not, I can't believe there's a smoking thread without linking to the original Quit Smoking thread: https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/throw-down-the-gauntlet/punching-smoking-in-the-face!/

Lots of good discussion, resources, encouragement, etc. in that one, well worth reading if you're trying to quit.  :)

Good luck Strong resolve to all of you quitting.  It's absolutely worth it!
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

jordanread

« Reply #83 on: April 09, 2014, 09:13:12 AM »
I only skimmed, so maybe I missed it, but if not, I can't believe there's a smoking thread without linking to the original Quit Smoking thread: https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/throw-down-the-gauntlet/punching-smoking-in-the-face!/

Lots of good discussion, resources, encouragement, etc. in that one, well worth reading if you're trying to quit.  :)

Good luck Strong resolve to all of you quitting.  It's absolutely worth it!

Totally missed that one. I guess I didn't look hard enough. I only saw a couple that were from last year before I started this one. Thanks for the resource. I've added it to the list at the top.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #84 on: April 09, 2014, 09:16:26 AM »
[...] Part of me is all "I've already spent the money" [...]

If by that you mean that you've already sacrificed potential gains by buying a pack and smoking it, then you are correct. However, if you mean that the money tied up in that pack is an investment in your future health, that can be turned into capital gains by not smoking them, you are more correct...and planning for the future. Come now, if you can't beat them, DESTROY THEM!! I want pictures too.

Moustachian approach . . . sell them on craigslist to recoup some of the loss.

Dark moustache approach . . . sell them to minors to profit.

jordanread

« Reply #85 on: April 09, 2014, 09:49:22 AM »

Dark moustache...I like it. Not the approach, just the concept. All Neutral Evil and stuff.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #86 on: April 09, 2014, 10:07:59 AM »

Dark moustache...I like it. Not the approach, just the concept. All Neutral Evil and stuff.

It's best if you picture Darth Vader with a really big moustache while reading it.  :D

jordanread

« Reply #87 on: April 09, 2014, 10:10:09 AM »
It's best if you picture Darth Vader with a really big moustache while reading it.  :D
Done.

unix_kung_fu

• Stubble
« Reply #88 on: April 09, 2014, 01:12:13 PM »
Just looked at my mint account.. 7-11... averaging about $300/mo (almost entirely in cigarettes). The local neighborhood bar .5 blocks from my house.. $6-700 on average.  Yeah I got problems.

I only smoke a lot when I drink. When I don't drink my blood pressure is great (test it at home because it's always high when I go to a doc due to drinking/smoking night before), I know I can save almost all of this if try, I'll just have to do this in stages.

1) just finished my last smoke, I have an e-cig I will hit on that
2) going to keep it from 6-7 days a week at the bar to 2-3. Gotta start in small steps.
3) when I do go to the bar, I'm going to limit my beer intake and order water in between, and have a set time limit

I know if I see results in my bank activity I will get more motivation and it will snowball from there. One thing I have going for me is I cook nearly everything from scratch and I can spend more time preparing food which is something I enjoy and will give me something else to do.

jordanread

« Reply #89 on: April 09, 2014, 04:30:54 PM »

1) just finished my last smoke, I have an e-cig I will hit on that

So does that mean I can add you to the list, with a quit day of today?

szmaine

• Stubble
« Reply #90 on: April 09, 2014, 04:38:00 PM »
While you're at it you can mark me up another $7.80...don't worry once I make a week I'll only update weekly or if I need help.

Safe at home with no cigarettes! Have had two beers (more delicious! My tastebuds are waking up! I love IPA!) and no (ok, very little) desire to go buy butts! Whooohoooo!

hoodedfalcon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #91 on: April 10, 2014, 12:00:19 PM »
Okay folks. I maybe didn't mention this before, but I am sorta in meltdown mode at work with a major project that is going live on Monday. BLAH BLAH. BUT! I am taking myself out of the no smoking challenge for the time being. Don't worry. I will be back. I promise.

jordanread

« Reply #92 on: April 10, 2014, 12:01:43 PM »
Okay folks. I maybe didn't mention this before, but I am sorta in meltdown mode at work with a major project that is going live on Monday. BLAH BLAH. BUT! I am taking myself out of the no smoking challenge for the time being. Don't worry. I will be back. I promise.
Really? Wouldn't that be the perfect time to quit? Get through this, and everything else would seem easy.

hoodedfalcon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #93 on: April 10, 2014, 12:46:17 PM »
Really? Wouldn't that be the perfect time to quit? Get through this, and everything else would seem easy.

I have done it that way previous quit times. A general "Fuck you" to the world, including cigarettes....You have no power over me sort of thing. But in this situation, it's just not working for me. I just can't fight everything right now. My current goal is to get through to next Wednesday without losing my shit, and I think that is about all I can handle.

szmaine

• Stubble
« Reply #94 on: April 10, 2014, 02:18:15 PM »
I totally understand that!! Be sure to come back when the dust has settled!!

Home early today...safe and sound with no cigarettes! Another $7.80 in the till! Cha-Ching!

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #95 on: April 10, 2014, 02:24:47 PM »
Just chiming in to support all of you who are working on this!!  (As I look out my window and see a group of students gathered smoking at one of the designated smoking stations on our campus--sad to see college students smoking!)

szmaine

• Stubble
« Reply #96 on: April 10, 2014, 03:22:00 PM »
Thanks 94! I started when I was 13!! But that was not the first I smoked...I smoked some at 12 and bought several packs of unfiltered PallMalls ( cuz that's what the dad in the family in the upstairs apt smoked, who's kids would steal butts from for us)....anyway bought packs with silver liberty dollars I was given by my grandmother...can you believe it! Talk about lack of supervision...I love my (single) mother, but shit... she really was a crummy parent back then...sorry, it's the truth.

jordanread

« Reply #97 on: April 10, 2014, 03:26:51 PM »
I have done it that way previous quit times. A general "Fuck you" to the world, including cigarettes....You have no power over me sort of thing. But in this situation, it's just not working for me. I just can't fight everything right now. My current goal is to get through to next Wednesday without losing my shit, and I think that is about all I can handle.

I understand. Don't get down. I'll change your status to "Holding pattern" but I'll leave you on the list. This is the 2014 thread so you have some time. :-)

Home early today...safe and sound with no cigarettes! Another $7.80 in the till! Cha-Ching!

I'll update your numbers. Way to go!! Personally, there is a very real possibility that I will murder some cats this coming week, but hopefully withdrawals will start to ease back. Did go to bed super early yesterday, so I slept for 12 hours...that was nice.

Just chiming in to support all of you who are working on this!!  (As I look out my window and see a group of students gathered smoking at one of the designated smoking stations on our campus--sad to see college students smoking!)

Thank you very much. On behalf of the students' future selves, I highly recommend hitting them with a hose...unless they get all uppity, in which case hit them with a bat or something.

Edited to fix the screwed up quote

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #98 on: April 10, 2014, 03:27:09 PM »
Wow--12 years old!!  Yikes.  But it looks like you are kicking the habit--and that is so great!!  I'm happy for you.

szmaine

• Stubble
« Reply #99 on: April 10, 2014, 03:34:36 PM »
@jordanreads...um...you don't actually have any kitties, do you? Please don't kill the kitties! LOL

Seriously, you are badass! But, paws off the kitties!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!