Author Topic: 20 pullup set  (Read 2353 times)

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
20 pullup set
« on: February 16, 2013, 07:22:27 PM »
A split off from the 100 pushups thread: https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/throw-down-the-gauntlet/100-pushups/

As I mentioned in that thread, I was working on improving my (standard) pullups, having started at 1, was up to 3, though I was "kipping" the last one. Then I overstressed my shoulder and had to take it (very) easy on the shoulder for awhile.

I'm ready to go after it again in a more organized way, and since i read the WWII GI fitness requirements.... I came up with 20. No kipping.

I will perform a proper 20-pullup set this year.

I'm currently back up to a 1-pullup set. :)

webguy

• Bristles
Re: 20 pullup set
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2013, 08:17:14 AM »
Great goal! Pull-ups are awesome! I have a similar goal but to do 30 pull-ups by years end (I'm currently at 19). I used to hate pull-ups, mainly as I could only do 1 or 2. I used to go to the gym a lot and lift a lot of heavy weights but then I got tired of that and decided to try p90x! That really kicked my ass and got me into gear! I've trimmed down a lot (from 230 to 190) and now just do body weight exercises like pull-ups, push-ups and slow squats. They really are awesome!

Keep us updated on your goal!

Kriegsspiel

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2013, 09:27:52 AM »
My best was 15 at 200 lbs.  I started out not being able to do any.  So I did negatives using a box, and jumping to the up position.  Eventually, I could do sets of 1-3.  Once I got to 5 or so, I started adding weight.  Once you can do chins with bunch of weight strapped on, higher reps are easy. 

I'm not sure about the grease the groove method, never tried it.  But adding weight works, plus you get cool muskelz.

digger

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • One step at a time...
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2013, 09:49:52 PM »
I found that strangely enough, the push up challenge increased my pull-up max. I went from around 15 to 23 in a matter of months. I'm guessing its the deltoid development, but really don't know for sure... it's just one of those mysteries I guess..