Author Topic: 10k steps Plus a day!  (Read 16582 times)

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
Re: 10k steps Plus a day!
« Reply #150 on: March 18, 2019, 05:10:51 AM »
3/17-17,248 steps mostly from about a two hour walk.

diapasoun

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #151 on: March 18, 2019, 01:10:16 PM »
The last few days of walking:

16k Thursday
12k Friday
17k Saturday
16k Sunday

I got a looong walk in Thursday, Sunday had a cardio workout, and Saturday involved both a long walk and a 6 hour volunteer session cutting down small Douglas firs and hauling brush for a coastal prairie revitalization project -- that last part was just incredible fun, and what a great workout. :)

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #152 on: March 19, 2019, 04:02:36 AM »
3/18- 17, 610  got an hour spin in and an hour on the Elliptical.

diapasoun

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #153 on: March 19, 2019, 07:53:21 AM »
That's a great average, soccerluvof4.

13k yesterday -- got a walk in with Boyfriend on a Monday afternoon, which has been impossible for the last two months due to his work schedule. Was really lovely.

I tried to go to the gym this morning to lift weights, but alas! the hours have changed because I go to the campus gym (I'm an alum and it's peanuts compared to other gyms in town), and it's an exam week. I'll have to go later today -- figure out where I can squeeze it in.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #154 on: March 20, 2019, 04:59:01 AM »
3/19-15,639 Not my best day but kinda a day off. I did a body Impact class and the walked so only about 12k of that was working out. My steps might come down a bit now that I hit gold status for insurance and I am going to switch over to a little more strength training however I still want to get as much as I can.

@diapasoun  thats cool you can use your campus gym. I wish I lived near a College thats one of the things on our list for our final move we want to live as close to a campus as possible to be around young people and take advantage of all the activites that go on. But that hopefully will be in a much warmer climate. Preferrably NC or Western TN .

diapasoun

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #155 on: March 20, 2019, 10:49:24 AM »
What is this "gold status" for insurance?

Weight training is good stuff. I've been really enjoying getting back into it.

I really love college towns -- tbf, I've basically lived only in college towns since I turned 18, so I'm also very used to them and biased! But I love that college towns often have a delightfully intellectual atmosphere and also often have a lot of kooky young-people stuff going on. This kind of stuff can be hard to get in small cities normally, but if you've got a good university presence then all of a sudden it starts to pop up.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #156 on: March 21, 2019, 06:35:06 AM »
When we hit a certain amount of steps are insurance premium drops 156$ a month plus we get points for dollars for walking/Steps so like last year we earned over 600$ in amazon cards and the last 9 months of the year reduced our monthly premium 156$ a month.  Its through Humana.

3/20 I had a big #'s day of 23,914 steps of which 18k+ was from exercising. I got to the gym despite my oos and aaaas and did 21 miles on the bike and and Hour on the eliptical and then walked for at least a half hour. But last night I slept like crap because everything hurt from the day befores Bobdy Impact class and my neck was sore from biking. So its always something but marching on. Today I think I will go for a 2-2.5 hour walk which will rest my upper body and get me my steps.

diapasoun

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #157 on: March 21, 2019, 10:25:24 AM »
Ahhhh Humana! That explains a lot. :) (I'm glad it's focusing on movement and not weight.)

14k yesterday, between a walk and some cardio at the gym.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #158 on: March 22, 2019, 04:27:20 AM »
3/21-9758 steps. Took day off as I was just to sore from top to bottom. Had to take my son to soccer practice and to stay warm i walked with another day during the two hours with alot of stopping and talking the whole time. Back at it today.

diapasoun

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #159 on: March 22, 2019, 12:51:44 PM »
13k yesterday.

Days when you're sore all over are good days to take off.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #160 on: March 23, 2019, 05:32:31 AM »
3/22-17,876- I ate to much birthday cake the night before so I went and though tired and sored hammered it. Probably one of my best workouts in awhile. Today I have now a 6 hour roundtrip to Iowa for a soccer game and I would prefer to not drive with my knees sore so I am trying to talk down that voice in my head to go work out! :-) before I leave at noon.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #161 on: March 24, 2019, 05:25:24 AM »
3/23 only 5281 steps for the day as I drove to Iowa and back for a soccer game so didnt work out either. Not sure if I have the motivation or not for today to be much better. I am having well start over tomorrow its Monday syndrome.

WhiteTrashCash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #162 on: March 24, 2019, 06:38:32 PM »
Today was a rest day in my workout plan, but I still managed to get in 11,000 steps by walking around the Mall. I didn't actually buy anything, but I think it was really nice of that corporation to build a great big indoor walking space that I can use for free in bad weather. Very thoughtful of them.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #163 on: March 25, 2019, 04:59:37 AM »
@WhiteTrashCash  Thats awesome. I remember working the malls many moons ago they would all open early so people could walk them.

3/24- 27,276. Went for about a 2.45 Hr walk yesterday and then when my son had Soccer practices I walked the turf. The morning walk though long was nice being out in nature. Felt like spring was actually in the air. Was very sore though rest of the day.

dignam

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #164 on: March 25, 2019, 06:39:18 AM »
Great thread.  My average steps/day is still below 10k, but over the last several months I've really started weight training more (up to 4 days a week).  TBH, I've seen far more physical improvements from that vs. cardio alone.  Never skip leg day!  Those big muscles burn a ton of calories.

As the weather gets nicer, my goal is to replace a couple of the weight lifting days/week with some more intense outdoor cardio.  That should hopefully bump my average steps above 10k.

diapasoun

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #165 on: March 25, 2019, 10:44:28 AM »
13k each day this weekend.

Weight training can have super significant effects on what your body looks like! And Leg Day is the BEST day. :)

I walk mostly for the (extensive) low-key effects it has: I feel more limber, I feel cheerier, I feel more a part of my neighborhood and city, and I know that walking is good maintenance work for my heart, lungs, and bones!

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #166 on: March 26, 2019, 03:45:20 AM »
Welcone @dignam !

3/25- 25,238  Did 20 miles of biking speed uphill, Elliptical and Walking. Walked twice during my workout and a couple miles during my sons practice. My left knee is killing me though.

« Last Edit: March 26, 2019, 03:53:26 AM by soccerluvof4 »

diapasoun

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #167 on: March 26, 2019, 07:56:15 AM »
@soccerluvof4, is the amount of knee pain you feel historically normal for you, or has this been increased by exercise?

14k steps yesterday; made it to the gym, but no evening walk due to some excessive rain....

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #168 on: March 27, 2019, 05:22:26 AM »
@diapasoun - It always seems to be the worse in the now but its been alot worse. Its bothering me more I am guessing because I am back out walking more. I thought maybe it was the Body Impact classes but I havent done one in awhile. Guess maybe it could be the spinning as well. Bottom line I just need to get at least the left one replaced or stop complaining about it. I mention it more because it means wether I sleep well or if I am going to exercise or not. Like today its pretty sore but again Its good enough to walk or workout but then it will hurt obviously more later in the day..:-)  Anyhow.............

3/26- 24,575  I did 90 minutes on the Elliptical and walked 30 at the Y in the morning and then went for an hour walk in the evening right before dinner with the DW.  See what today brings

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #169 on: March 28, 2019, 02:38:30 AM »
3/27- 19,623 steps of which 14 was from a morning walk of about 2 hours or should I say limp a long and about 2500 was walking on the Turf at my sons soccer practice. My left knee is really bad. I am going to go to the Y this morning and do the Elliptical to get a sweat on and try to do some rolling out and stretching to see if I can help matters. I am up at 3am and they open at 5 so going to do that and I might have to take an aleve today.

diapasoun

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #170 on: March 28, 2019, 11:41:23 AM »
23k yesterday, yaaaaay! Lots of walking (morning + evening walk + walk to dinner) plus some time at the gym on the elliptical.

soccerluvof4, if the knee is causing you enough pain to need Aleve (and it seems like you put up with a LOT before taking meds), are there ways to get good exercise that won't cause you the knee pain? Maybe swimming? I know it may not be as quantifiable for the health insurance stuff, but working yourself into needing another knee replacement sounds pretty damn painful. (I feel like I may have said this before, so please feel free to ignore as I don't want to be a pestering butt. But you deserve a happy body that feels good!)

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #171 on: March 29, 2019, 03:42:07 AM »
23k yesterday, yaaaaay! Lots of walking (morning + evening walk + walk to dinner) plus some time at the gym on the elliptical.

soccerluvof4, if the knee is causing you enough pain to need Aleve (and it seems like you put up with a LOT before taking meds), are there ways to get good exercise that won't cause you the knee pain? Maybe swimming? I know it may not be as quantifiable for the health insurance stuff, but working yourself into needing another knee replacement sounds pretty damn painful. (I feel like I may have said this before, so please feel free to ignore as I don't want to be a pestering butt. But you deserve a happy body that feels good!)

No it makes sense. Its not needing another knee replacement it is getting them both done for the first time. I believe I am going on 6 years since I have been bone on bone. I did about 15 minutes of exercises yesterday that really helped and my knee feels alot better today. Its one of those things if I dont do regularly then the pain gets worse. Plus like i mentioned not to many days back to back outside walking. Yesterday after going to the Ymca the knee felt better that I did not take an Aleve. So I am just trying to by time before I get them replaced. I am at Gold status now so we get the discount for the rest of the year on Insurance so now I am going to focus more on some lifting and a little less on steps. Maybe my total being 15k per day vs 20+.  Anyhow my bigger issue now at the moment is my fitbit was tracking my steps but it didnt send to phone. I do know I had 20,400 plus as I looked at it right before bed. I reset it this morning so hopefully I get those steps back but until then I will have to manually keep track like on here.

Nice job on your step count yesterday. I did do a body impact class and Elliptical and had a bunch of errrands to do .

diapasoun

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #172 on: March 29, 2019, 11:48:04 AM »
Bone on bone! Ouch. No wonder it hurts.

Do you have any idea what particular things make exercise hurt versus help? (I imagine anything that wrenches it is a no-go.) That's great that yesterday's exercise made it feel better, and also that you can focus more on lifting now. Strength and stabilization are pretty much always good things.

Come on Fitbit, do your stuff!

13k yesterday for me -- hit goal by the skin of my teeth, i.e. pacing my bedroom for 15 minutes before bed last night, reading a book and trying not to accidentally fall into the wall. :P My room is under the eaves and there's a limited path where you can walk upright in there, and if you're reading and not paying enough attention... you can pitch right into some plaster+lath, heh.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #173 on: March 30, 2019, 04:33:50 AM »
Bone on bone! Ouch. No wonder it hurts.

Do you have any idea what particular things make exercise hurt versus help? (I imagine anything that wrenches it is a no-go.) That's great that yesterday's exercise made it feel better, and also that you can focus more on lifting now. Strength and stabilization are pretty much always good things.

Come on Fitbit, do your stuff!

13k yesterday for me -- hit goal by the skin of my teeth, i.e. pacing my bedroom for 15 minutes before bed last night, reading a book and trying not to accidentally fall into the wall. :P My room is under the eaves and there's a limited path where you can walk upright in there, and if you're reading and not paying enough attention... you can pitch right into some plaster+lath, heh.

Well done on the 13k! :-) I sometimes would get so obsessed with rounding up I would walk laps around the kitchen, Dining room living room ,staircase and hallway more because of the Insurance discount because it only gives you the 1,000s. So if i was at like 9, 600 i didnt want to waist those 600 steps so would do whatever to get to 10k then. Anyhow now that I have reached Gold status while i should still do it I dont as much.

The Fitbit  I spent 2 hours on yesterday. Was so irritated and had no clue what to do next. I googled and tried everything and its not that old maybe 6 months. So I kinda just came to the conclusion I would use the watch for the steps and manually write down everynite and just use the phone app for my insurance count. Well my DW last night went through it all and after an hour and a half she got it figured out.  I removed app on phone and reinstalled I mean I thought I did everything via Fitbit on google. Well the one thing I didnt do which sounds like common sense was to actually re-sync the watch itself with the phone. I thought I was doing that but was missing a step so long story short it works now!!

I do know what exercises work and did them for 15 minutes again yesterday after working out. When I had my surgerys scheduled originally my knees were so bad it was affecting my hips so my surgeons assistant gave me some exercise to do and thats when most of the pain went away and with my son transferring college and being stressfull I cancelled my surgery.

So 3/29 I did 90 minutes on the Elliptical, 30 Minutes walking the track, 15 minutes weights and 15 minutes stretch and walked out of Y with 15k steps and ended day with 17,395. I would of ended up with more than by my DW was messing with my watch for as I said an hour and a half. Anyhow not sure as usual what I will do today but doing something. 

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #174 on: March 31, 2019, 03:36:09 AM »
3/30- Had 24k steps and some change. I am pairing my fitbit again the morning with my phone while sitting here but I know I was slightly over 24k. Yesterday I did 95 minutes on the elliptical, 25 minute walk and lifted for half hour. Then in the afternoon at my sons practice I walked around the turf field. Knee feels a bit better since I stretched again yesterday.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #175 on: April 01, 2019, 06:02:10 AM »
3/31-Slow :-) almost two hour walk with my DW- 13,375K steps

diapasoun

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #176 on: April 01, 2019, 01:45:37 PM »
Knee still feeling better?

5k on Saturday (so lazy!) but 18k yesterday (so not-lazy!). Today should be a high-count day, too, as I not only walked my neighbor's dog this morning but took a separate walk to the donut shop... and it's also a gym day. :D

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #177 on: April 02, 2019, 03:34:25 AM »
4/1- 21,063 steps. Did a split walk and this is no lie I was walking with my head down and walked right into a tree that bends over the trail because of the way it bends / grows out of the river and smacked my head into it and was knocked to the ground. Fortunately I had a hat and a hoodie on or the top of my head would be cut up but I for sure have a mild concussion. This is what i get for walking and responding to a text. I've ducked under that tree a 100xs but because of my stupididty.........ugghhh and i wish it was an April fools joke.  My head outweighs any pain in my knee. :-)  Anyhow I had a pretty good week overall.

diapasoun

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #178 on: April 02, 2019, 10:25:31 AM »
Ack, no pulling April Fools jokes on yourself!

I was 100 steps short of my 13353 goal, because I got a pretty nasty headache in the afternoon. Not sure if it was from sugar (I celebrated the successful completion of my no-added-sugar March with a donut) or if it was due to atmospheric pressure (it went from sunny to rainy). Hoping that today will have less headache and more steps. :)

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #179 on: April 03, 2019, 04:20:53 AM »
4/2- 18,746 went for just a long morning 2.5 hr walk and that was most of it. My head was pounding as well. Woke up this morning and its much better.

diapasoun

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #180 on: April 03, 2019, 12:02:16 PM »
13k yesterday, including a really good weightlifting workout. I feel deliciously sore today.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #181 on: April 04, 2019, 02:58:39 AM »
@diapasoun thats the one thing I have missed out all this week is lifting but I guess just do what i feel like any given day.

4/30 25,298 split walk day. Its funny now that I have been walking around the field during my kids soccer practices last night I had seven followers.

diapasoun

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #182 on: April 04, 2019, 10:10:38 AM »
Doing what your body requests is usually a good thing. :)

21k steps yesterday (woo! wow).

I woke up pretty sore this morning, probably because the workout on Tuesday was a good 'un and because for whatever reason, my recovery times have been crap recently. I don't feel like the workout was overly hard; I didn't feel like I was straining hard or otherwise overworking myself, but I still feel sore enough that doing weights on this is probably not a great idea. (Is that what ageing is???)

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #183 on: April 05, 2019, 03:03:09 AM »
I feel like that everyday but its called aging! lol Nice job on the steps

4/4- 16,738 Steps. Just a morning walk. I had to started removing things from the kitchen for the drywall guy whose coming Monday. Plus had to make dinner and my one son had a doctors appointment. Today for the most part unless something changes down there and I workout might be a day off because I'm leaving 7am for the weekend to Saint Louis. One of my kids is in soccer tournament down there and I will get to see my oldest son at college. Saturday and Sunday though I will be able to workout for sure

diapasoun

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #184 on: April 05, 2019, 11:14:45 AM »
That's a real busy few days!

15k steps for me yesterday. Today may be 10k or so, we'll see; depends on if I'm able to fit in a nice walk in between the long commute + rain today....

How are the rest of y'all doing?

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #185 on: April 06, 2019, 05:05:58 PM »
4/5-11,984 steps. Not my best but considering I drove to Saint Louis I will take it. Today is going to be pretty good though.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #186 on: April 08, 2019, 05:01:24 AM »
4/6-25,158
4/7-23,844

Both days I went for long morning walks in neighborhood around hotel and then while kids warmed up before there games etc.. They had beautiful walking trails near the soccer complex. Was nice too because in the mornings I had another dad walk with me.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #187 on: April 09, 2019, 04:01:55 AM »
4/8- 17,446

Was so nice got a long walk in.

diapasoun

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #188 on: April 09, 2019, 02:38:49 PM »
Whoops, away for a few days here... I get lazy about forums over the weekends. :)

4/5 -- 11k
4/6 -- 16k
4/7 -- 23k
4/8 -- 22k

This thing where I've been blowing past my goal recently is... really freaking pleasant.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #189 on: April 10, 2019, 03:01:17 AM »
Nice job @diapasoun !!  I have had so much going on myself lately fortunately/unfortunately walking is the only thing I have had time to do. I have gained some weight over the last week with all thats going on but would be alot worse if it wasnt for walking. And I leave again tomorrow night. Uggh...

4/9-19,547 mostly from almost a 3 hour walk.

I am surprised we dont have more members on this .  I say we start a new challenge for June 1st. If you have any idea for a new title for then let me know. Alot of walkers out there and maybe some feel like they dont want to bop in because its been going. Let me know what you think but at least for now we can hold each other accountable!

diapasoun

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #190 on: April 10, 2019, 10:40:06 AM »
You've got it! Busy travel (with attendant travel food) is hard on the body.

17k yesterday.

I'd be happy to start a shorter term set of challenges, sure! I think one problem for this one is that it's mostly us posting, and we both have pretty high step counts recently -- that can make it harder for folks with lower step counts to post, because it's hard not to compare yourself (and our society puts such a big value judgment on things like activity and weight and what have you). We might get more variety with a monthly challenge. :)

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #191 on: April 11, 2019, 04:26:59 AM »
Good Point. Maybe we can start like a 3 month challenge May June July. One month might be to small.

4/10-20,556 Went for 2 hour power walk. Weather today as absolutely insane and I am leaving for Indianapolis so I either have to take a day off which wouldnt be worse thing or hit up the Y this morning.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #192 on: April 15, 2019, 05:04:58 AM »
Made it back from Indy but had to driver through a snow storm.

4/11-5096 steps
4/12-21793
4/13-20,241
4/14-5821

diapasoun

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #193 on: April 15, 2019, 11:02:22 AM »
I like the idea of a three-month challenge. Seasonal challenges ;)

4/10: 17k
4/11: 13k
4/12: 13k
4/13: 5k
4/14: 17k

Saturday was spent almost entirely at a baby shower wearing heels. Ugh heels.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #194 on: April 16, 2019, 03:37:20 AM »
Will start in it may so I will start a new link like around 4/25 ish.

4/15 got to the Y and did 2 Hours on the Elliptical cuz weather was bad. Went from dismal to 50's and all the snow melted and I walked a bit during my sons game last night.
Ended with 21,078

My week was way down but thats expected.

diapasoun

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #195 on: April 16, 2019, 10:12:15 AM »
Sounds good!

Also -- I wonder if it would be better to "brand" it as "meet your step goals" or some such? Maybe bring in a wider group? Some folks may be aiming for 7k, others for 25k.

13k steps yesterday. I was intending to spend some time on the elliptical at the gym, but I developed a barometric headache in the afternoon -- definitely puts the kibosh on serious exercise. I did, however, walk languidly to the corner store to get yogurt, which is why I still managed to meet the goal. :)

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #196 on: April 17, 2019, 04:56:41 AM »
Thats a good idea as well!

18,464 steps. My feet wore tired yesterday as was I . Took me forever to walk and couldnt get out of my chair! lol.

diapasoun

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #197 on: April 17, 2019, 10:43:12 AM »
15k yesterday, part of which was a nice weightlifting workout at the gym. Am I getting stronger? Eh. Do I *feel* more badass? Yes.

Already at 12k today due to early gym-cardio + walking me neighbor's dog. I would like a nap now, please.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #198 on: April 18, 2019, 03:27:47 AM »
4/17-Perhaps my worst day ever...2605 but Will be back at it today. My feet needed a day off of them and I indulged! lol

diapasoun

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #199 on: April 18, 2019, 11:21:25 AM »
Good for a day off! Did the feet enjoy it?

15k yesterday.