Author Topic: 100 things throwaway challenge  (Read 18554 times)

try2save

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: 100 things throwaway challenge
« Reply #50 on: September 27, 2012, 12:45:24 PM »
I have been decluttering for a while. My best so far was clearing out a closet full of fabric and yarn. It is nice to see my children can use the closet for their clothes. I need to do more, it is very satisfying to purge.  I am also doing my own personal read book, donate it challenge. I don't have a ton of books, but enough sitting on the shelves that I don't need to go to the library for a while.

I like the idea of one item per day.

kkbmustang

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #51 on: September 27, 2012, 03:06:06 PM »
I started this earlier this year. We've already given away a ton. We stacked everything up (which filled half of our living room floor to about 4 feet high) and had a local charity come pick everything up. We still have a lot of crap to get rid of and are slowly but surely doing so. I've got quite a few things listed on CL and trying to find buyers for some higher end pieces. It's a lot easier to get rid of a bread machine than it is a painting. But, the decision has been made, so now I just have to wait/find a buyer. But, with everything that leaves the house, the lighter and more in control of my life I feel.

This week were two bicycles the kids outgrew, 4 pair of kid jeans, and 6 dresses my daughter has outgrown. They are off to a consignment sale. If they don't sell, they automatically get donated to a great charity. Regardless I get cash and/or a tax write-off.

PJ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #52 on: September 27, 2012, 06:31:32 PM »
Uncluttering my home and catching up on long neglected tasks was the precursor to me waking up to the state of my finances.  I had to clear the clutter to be able to "see" where I was off track in other areas.  I've been working on the uncluttering part with the support of another forum, unclutterer.com (I'm PJ over there too - oh, and I should clarify that I'm not the PJ who writes for them, just happen to share the same internet name).  We have several ongoing challenge type threads (ATAD - to get rid of A Thing a Day, FATAD - Fix a Thing a Day, and more recently, a "50 by Friday" thread to motivate a big push to clear either things or tasks, etc) as well as people sharing the benefits and struggles of uncluttering, encouraging and motivating each other.  Please note that those forums are not face punching territory - we take a much more gentle approach there :-)  There are distinct cultures even in internet forums, aren't there?  Unclutterer makes no claims to be a minimalist or frugal living type site, although some of the forum participants lean that way.  But there is a common theme of people working through to figure out what's important to them.  Good luck to anyone else who is decluttering mode!

twinge

• Bristles
« Reply #53 on: October 12, 2012, 05:45:24 AM »
Turbo tax's donation accounting system "It's Deductible" has shifted me away from trying to sell items to donating them.  For any bag of stuff you donate, there's an average price for each item that you click and it keeps track.  We have a few "big" items that we'll try to sell, but I'm no longer tempted to wait around to put stuff on craigslist, ebay, have a garage sale etc.  I just do the accounting in "it's deductible" and then sign up for a pick-up of our goods by various donation organizations when they are in our neighborhood or drop it off at the Red Cross or Goodwill store if I'm going to be nearby. 

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #54 on: October 12, 2012, 06:18:09 AM »
So far this year we've done 6 carloads to the charity shop and currently have a large pile of junk awaiting council pickup out the front of the house., O and another bag of clothes awaiting drop -off.

We've  bought almost nothing  in the way of "stuff" this year, so we must be winning....... getting worried that the stuff is now self sufficient and reproducing without our help :)

PJ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #55 on: October 12, 2012, 03:08:52 PM »
happy, you know how single socks often go missing?  I think the larvae of the "stuff" feeds on socks, that's why! 

I think it's next week that I have a charity coming to pick up stuff.  I already have some clothes put aside in a bag but haven't finished going through my wardrobe, so I should try to do that this weekend.

flyfamily

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #56 on: October 13, 2012, 09:16:31 AM »
This has been an evolution for us, over the past 4 years. Before we relocated, we donated and sold a lot. We were living in very small corporate housing for just about a year.. and were told to prepare for a secondary relocation to either Hawaii or overseas. So, I just continued scaling back. Around that time, I started having medical issues, so orders were actually changed from Hawaii and they ended up placing husband here.

We moved into another home, however, we were on the cusp of this whole simplifying, downsizing, frame of mind.. and I wanted to test out renting closer to where we have property to see if it was feasible to move onto family homestead. I found something very inexpensive that was actually, half the square footage. And clearly, we had scaled back our stuff enough that the transition was perfectly fine. Everything had a place, even in 1000 sqft, I still had empty cabinets (and my husband's uniforms and having two children - well, that all does take up quite a bit of space).

Unfortunately, moving outside of our immediate area did not work out. We moved back closer to work and found the best value $ cost wise, which has larger square footage. The rent is cheap. I am blown away at how many cabinets are empty, we even have an entire dresser that really can be donated, because there's nothing in it anymore. And both children could share their one dresser. We have nice 'stuff'.. good quality things (mostly bought secondhand or things that we've had for years). We just don't have a lot of it.

We have a one bedroom cabin that is about 450 square feet, on the family property. If I were to take those contents out and replace with the contents (not actually all furniture, though).. my family of four could fit all of our kitchen stuff, clothing, toys, most decor in that 450 sqft house.

I'll have to post in a separate thread some of the best changes that we've made.
Some may sound ridiculous, because I have been critiqued by relatives that have major stuffitis. However, they don't live in my house nor do they clean it. They are also not in a position where they could be moved with little notice.. and in our case, when husband retires from this job, we still have to be flexible to be moved anywhere in the U.S. or overseas (provided my health improves), because he's in aviation and we're game to live overseas! So with that in mind, it's been important for us - less stress, less money spent, less things to 'manage'.. and most of all, just gives us some comfort that if we had to pack up, I know (and have) done it myself with the two children, if needed with only needing a moving company for the furniture. There's many other ladies that I know have had near heartattacks over the thought of having to pack up their household on short notice. I can actually do it in one day and have frames on the walls, beds made, and dishes in the kitchen by the next evening.

Anyhow, love the idea of 100 things, for those that are starting out with scaling back their stuff!
And yes..definitely check into Craigslist 'free' postings, donating to your Goodwill/Salvation Army, etc. or Habitat for Humanity reStore (which will take home construction type stuff)

:)

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #57 on: October 13, 2012, 04:41:10 PM »
Way to go flyfamily!
We moved 3 years ago, and the couple buying my house wanted to change the settlement date at short notice because the man had to go on a business trip and the  wife "couldn't manage it on her own".  Hmmm I moved my two children and myself whilst working "on my own".  I did do a big declutter prior but I'm not at your level yet!

We have large high built ins  up to the ceiling in 4 rooms....great for storing things, but once it goes up there I need a step ladder to get it down and I forget whats up there: so it doesn't get used much anyway. My aim is to declutter  sufficiently so that I don't have to use these shelves.

kkbmustang

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #58 on: October 13, 2012, 07:41:30 PM »
@FlyFamily - I started decluttering about six months ago. Small steps at first. I've been through multiple rounds with the kids. I'm finding it easier and easier to get rid of the stuff. My closet went from overstuffed, to being half full. I have a built-in dressing table with 7 drawers that are now all empty. I have one antique dresser (the tall kind with very narrow drawers) that has empty space. The Hubs (the biggest stuff offender) - much different story. But, he did actually box up some books to sell, so I'm very proud of him for that. 

We currently live in just under 2700 square feet (we downsized about 5 years ago from 3100 sf which was just a ridiculous amount of space), but will be selling it in the next year or two and downsizing again. I have been looking at townhomes/condos in our area and sort of playing the "could we live there" game with myself. Could we live in 2300 sf? No problem. Could we live in 2000 sf? Yes, still comfortable. What about that one that is 1800? I'm ok with that. 1400? Umm, probably. 1200? Ooh, that one I'm not so sure about.  It makes me stretch my minimalism muscles, just like MMM makes me stretch my frugality muscles.

I like hearing that you, your husband and two kids are living in 1000 sf. Can I ask how old your kids are?