Author Topic: (Relatively) Car Free in 2020!  (Read 742 times)

Nightwatchman9270

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
(Relatively) Car Free in 2020!
« on: January 17, 2020, 09:05:44 AM »
I have decided to declare myself car free this year with the following Caveats....

1) I will take a vehicle if I am driving someone else.

2) I will take a vehicle if I am buying more "stuff" than I can fit in my panniers and milk crate combo.

3) I will take a vehicle if I am riding farther than 5 miles after sundown.  We have no real bike paths here and although I do have lights I just road from my house to downtown (see Hellride Report) and that was more risk than I'm willing to take on ever again.

4)I will ride in rain but not in thunderstorms.

What do you guys think?

I just did a ride that was 22 miles roundtrip.  My commute down was great at 430pm, riding back at 640pm intotal darkness with just my led lights was a little treacherous.  Especially the two lane 200 yard tunnel!!!!

I guess I should mention that work is 26 miles one way.  I will not commute that far to work on a bicycle, sorry.

middo

• Handlebar Stache
  • Learning.
Re: (Relatively) Car Free in 2020!
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2020, 07:32:04 PM »
I'll join in with my own caveats.  I want to use this to remind me to not drive the car as much as possible.  Caveats:

1. I will ride my motorcycle to commute regularly, probably 4 days a week.

2. Some purchases will require a car, but I will avoid using it for "shopping", walking to the shops whenever possible.

3. We are planning on becomming a one car family next month.

Here goes.