Author Topic: $24 to spend till the end of July 2019  (Read 2458 times)

minimalistgamer

• Bristles
  • Gamer and minimalist.
    • Minimalist Gamer
$24 to spend till the end of July 2019
« on: July 17, 2019, 08:24:21 PM »
Our budget is $1000 per month. We spent $975.85 so far. We are going to try our best to stay under budget. Let's see if we can make it!

We have enough resources, but we are trying to see if we can stay under budget this month, after a couple of expensive purchases on Amazon for the prime day. I will keep you all posted (at least those that are interested!)

minimalistgamer

• Bristles
  • Gamer and minimalist.
    • Minimalist Gamer
Re: $24 to spend till the end of July 2019
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2019, 05:20:20 AM »
1:14 PM 7/29/2019

I returned an item I purchased on Amazon, so my total spending for the month of July is now $981.78. I am going to win this challenge.

5:52 AM Thursday, July 25, 2019

I am at $989.25! This is a real close. $10 for 6 days!!

11:21 PM Saturday, July 20, 2019

Had an unexpected expense, and I am down to $16.57. I need to make this last for 11 days!

8:06 PM Thursday, July 18, 2019

Potluck at work tomorrow. I bought a salad for $2.64. This leaves me with $1000 - $978.49 = $21.51

6:19 AM Thursday, July 18, 2019

About to start the work day. I made coffee at home...I am sipping it while I am waiting some videos on youtube.

I will get ready for work in a little bit. Also packed my lunch. Watch this post for more updates!
« Last Edit: July 29, 2019, 12:14:46 PM by minimalistgamer »

CrustyBadger

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2019, 07:45:59 AM »
I love these challenges!  PTF.

Who is "we" minimalistgamer?   Do you have a spouse?  Kids?  Pets?  If it's just me I feel like I can live on nothing but throw kids's kids' needs into the equation and I go all spendy.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2019, 11:56:14 AM by CrustyBadger »

minimalistgamer

• Bristles
  • Gamer and minimalist.
    • Minimalist Gamer
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2019, 10:14:12 AM »
I love these challenges!  PTF.

Who is "we" minimalistgamer?   Do you have a spouse?  Kids?  Pets?  If it's just me I feel like I can live on nothing but throw kids's needs into the equation and I go all spendy.

Me and my wife. We are both minimalists (me more than her!). We do not have kids yet...hopefully that will change. Please pray for us!

Indeed kids can be expensive, and I am sure I will be the kind of parent who will spoil kids...I can't help it! :)

haypug16

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2019, 12:02:04 PM »
Good luck with your challenge! I've been terrible with updating my budget/spending sheet that I have no idea how close I am to my budget for July. I have a feeling it's not looking to good.

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2019, 06:08:25 PM »
Sorry OP - I'm usually a big fan of challenges and games, but I think this hit me wrong the second I read "we already spent X on prime day".
So there you are, just another perspective - looking forward to see what unexpected troubles Murphy might throw at you.

Nothing to it - actually $24 left over is pretty good:) compared to what I was forced to deal with once upon a time for about a year and a half.

Once the bills are paid, you are good to go: with nothing, if need be, you'll be just fine. You just need gas money to get to work, unless you have other options - enough for gas or transportation until payday:).
You already bring your lunches to work or get them free from work, right?

Of course, that's the time you realize you don't have enough filters for the coffeemaker and no money to buy any - so you borrow some from the neighbor or resort to paper towels or whatever you can think of to make do.
Can't live without my coffee so I always (well, not always) had enough coffee until payday.
The only theft I ever committed: the company I worked for at the time had small packets of excellent coffee (the owner was Columbian) so when I worked on the weekends I took a couple home with me.

Being poor is no game.
Most likely you saved plenty with your prime day purchases - something a poor person cannot take advantage of. In reality, this is a nice (perhaps even huge) benefit to your savings/income for you for this month already - you were able to optimize because you had money to spend.
YOU WON THIS CHALLENGE ALREADY.

Playing a game like this is simply the cherry on top. You are lucky to have the luxury to indulge in games. Being poor is 24/7 and riddled with fear and anxiety and a huge amount of ingenuity to "just make rent" so you can breathe and not dream of living under the bridge.

Think of it this way - there are only 13 lucky days left in this month and I have no doubt that someone with a budget of $1K for two people and no kids and pets can handle this little gauntlet.
I challenge you to spend nothing of that $28 and add it to your savings next month - are you game?

In fact, I may join you - I got enough gas in my car for the errands I need to run, a Starbucks gift card if I should happen to feel deprived (which I doubt) and even a restaurant gift card I saved for going out to dinner with my son while he is visiting.
It will mean I can't make any spur of the moment little e-book purchases on my amazon card - but like you:) - I indulged us with a new TV for the kitchen on prime day.
See - we can do this together - we already had our candy for the month:).

minimalistgamer

• Bristles
  • Gamer and minimalist.
    • Minimalist Gamer
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2019, 07:22:22 PM »
Good luck with your challenge! I've been terrible with updating my budget/spending sheet that I have no idea how close I am to my budget for July. I have a feeling it's not looking to good.

I do not have a line item budget. I have a total budget per month, which is $1000. We stay below this most months, but this month was car insurance month, and that cost $261, so that brought us a lot close to $1000.

I am very good about tracking expenses though. I have a spreadsheet where I enter every expense very diligently.

Sorry OP - I'm usually a big fan of challenges and games, but I think this hit me wrong the second I read "we already spent X on prime day".
So there you are, just another perspective - looking forward to see what unexpected troubles Murphy might throw at you.

I appreciate the perspective! Thank you!

Once the bills are paid, you are good to go: with nothing, if need be, you'll be just fine. You just need gas money to get to work, unless you have other options - enough for gas or transportation until payday:).
You already bring your lunches to work or get them free from work, right?

The car is fueled to the brim, so there will no need to stop at the gas station for the rest of the month! As for lunch, yes, I always pack my lunch. We do not get free lunches at work.
Of course, that's the time you realize you don't have enough filters for the coffeemaker and no money to buy any - so you borrow some from the neighbor or resort to paper towels or whatever you can think of to make do.

Well...I make coffee the old fashioned cowboy way, in a sauce pan, using a mesh filter. It tastes just fine, and there is enough coffee at home to last 3-4 months!

We got plenty of paper towels and toiletries. So I think we are OK there too!

Being poor is no game.

Aye...tell me about it. Legal immigrant from a third world country. Never got a handout from the government, never want it.

Most likely you saved plenty with your prime day purchases - something a poor person cannot take advantage of. In reality, this is a nice (perhaps even huge) benefit to your savings/income for you for this month already - you were able to optimize because you had money to spend.

Yes, I spent about $120. Wife also bought a few things off ebay. We have been waiting for a few months for things to go on a sale.

YOU WON THIS CHALLENGE ALREADY.

Indeed. God has given us so many blessings. This challenge, if you even want to call it that, is an exercise in self discipline more than anything else.

Being poor is 24/7 and riddled with fear and anxiety and a huge amount of ingenuity to "just make rent" so you can breathe and not dream of living under the bridge.

Been there done that! You are absolutely right!

It will mean I can't make any spur of the moment little e-book purchases on my amazon card - but like you:) - I indulged us with a new TV for the kitchen on prime day.
See - we can do this together - we already had our candy for the month:).

I am rooting for you!

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2019, 01:15:07 PM »
I am rooting for you!

Thanks, minimalistgamer
I have $206.40 left in my budget for July - so potentially I'll have an extra $200 in savings by EOM.
That's plenty of incentive for me.

I do not have a line-item budget. I have a total budget per month, which is $1000. We stay below this most months, but this month was car insurance month, and that cost $261, so that brought us a lot close to $1000.
I am very good about tracking expenses though. I have a spreadsheet where I enter every expense very diligently.

Agreed - I like the flexibility of a total monthly budget, meeting line items "exactly" gives me hives:)

My total budget is actually more than $1K - $1319.04 to be exact, but since $350 of that has been ending up as extra savings in the last six months; it would be fair to say that my true "spending" budget has finally crystallized to be under $1K.

I keep a monthly budget in a journal, I'd be lost without tracking. Yes, I'm OCD about playing with the numbers, it gives me a feeling of control and I've often discovered new possibilities or strategies that way - there are hope and satisfaction in that.

Aye...tell me about it. Legal immigrant from a third world country. Never got a handout from the government, never want it.

High five!
I am a legal alien from Germany. Never got a handout from the government, never want it either.
Dual citizenship-options are a good thing.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2019, 01:22:02 PM by Rosy »

minimalistgamer

• Bristles
  • Gamer and minimalist.
    • Minimalist Gamer
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2019, 10:23:11 PM »
High five!
I am a legal alien from Germany. Never got a handout from the government, never want it either.
Dual citizenship-options are a good thing.

High five!

I had to spend a little bit of money, but I have $16 left till the end of the month. Its going to get tough. I hope you are doing well with your budget! :)

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2019, 08:51:38 AM »
Ten more days to go - still at zero spending, for now:)

Not counting this since this challenge is only about spending, but:
I passively increased my income because I finally took the piggy bank to the CU. They have a free change counting machine and I dropped it into my holiday club account @ 2.5% interest.
Took me 2-3 yrs to fatten up that little pig and still, it only yielded $97+, but hey:).

Chris Pascale

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2019, 09:05:37 PM »
You guys are awesome.

minimalistgamer

• Bristles
  • Gamer and minimalist.
    • Minimalist Gamer
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2019, 04:56:42 AM »
Thank you very much!

I updated the post - https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/throw-down-the-gauntlet/$24-to-spend-till-the-end-of-july-2019/msg2419503/#msg2419503

I am now off to my work out and then to work! Have a good day!

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2019, 10:44:37 AM »
Oh, the suspense...did you make it @minimalistgamer ? How did you do, @Rosy?

minimalistgamer

• Bristles
  • Gamer and minimalist.
    • Minimalist Gamer
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2019, 01:50:44 PM »
Oh, the suspense...did you make it @minimalistgamer ? How did you do, @Rosy?

My apologies for not updating. I thought I did!

Anyway, my total for July 2019 came to $998.75! :)

Talk about a close call!

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2019, 03:01:01 PM »
July turned out to be a great month. I had $163. left at the EOM.
... which I promptly rolled into an early pay off for my car loan on Aug 2, 2019, instead of Aug 10, 2021. I'd begun contemplating how to pay it all off this year but it seemed it would be too stressful to push for. I kept playing with scenarios and somehow it all came together between rewards points, extra savings and some fancy finagling:).

Congrats @minimalistgamer !:) yours was not an easy feat to pull off!

minimalistgamer

• Bristles
  • Gamer and minimalist.
    • Minimalist Gamer
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2019, 07:30:13 AM »
Thank you very much @Rosy . Appreciate the kind words!

Yep, I got really close to losing, but I persisted! We delayed buying groceries by 1 day to achieve this. Haha.