Author Topic: WFH - Can I claim any of my WHF expenses (printer ink, paper, internet)?  (Read 1030 times)

natb2347

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
I work from home one day a week - sometimes more.  It dawned on me that certain expenses I incur to have a home office for WFH do not get reimbursed by my company.  Things like paper, ink, my internet most importantly, stamps, envelopes etc.  I do use some of these things for personal use too, but shouldn't I be able to submit receipts and get some kind of a credit? 

SeattleCPA

• Handlebar Stache
    • Evergreen Small Business
You maybe can.

The expenses work at miscellaneous itemized deductions--so you need to itemize your deductions (most people don't).

And the deduction for your miscellaneous itemized deductions is basically the amount by which your total miscellaneous itemized deductions exceed 2% of your AGI.

natb2347

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Thanks. I don't think I'm eligible because it isn't my primary place of work. After more research it looks like it would only apply if it was my own business or if it was at my employers convenience (neither apply).  This gets me thinking about possible side hustles that I could also use for tax write offs though. I used to freelance and got to write off all kinds of things. Plus I need to keep myself busy now that I ditched my cable!!! LOL

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!