Author Topic: Roth 403B or Traditional 403B  (Read 4343 times)

aceyou

• Handlebar Stache
    • Life is Good - Aceyou's Journal
Roth 403B or Traditional 403B
« on: July 07, 2017, 06:55:47 AM »
Problem (first world problem, but still): Because my wife and I put so much of our money into 403B's and 457's last year, we paid virtually no federal or state income taxes.  We will each retire in 14/15 years with full pensions which will likely total about 100k/year.  If we contribute to our 403B/457s at the rate we are doing now, we may have about 2 million in those accounts at retirement.  It seems stupid to be paying virtually no taxes right now when we'll likely get hit with much higher taxes in 15 years.  We already max out our Roth IRA

Solution?: I have access to either a 403B or a Roth 403B.  My wife may or may not, I'll have to look into that.  My thought is to contribute to my Roth 403B next year and pay more taxes in the 10% and 15% brackets....but if so, how much?

investments as they are currently set up on autopilot:

My Roth IRA: 5500 (VTSAX .04%)
My 403B: 18,000 (VTSAX though work .40%)
My 457: 18,000 (VTSAX through work .40%)
Wife Roth IRA: 5500 (VTSAX .04%)
Wife 403B: 18,000 (VTSAX though different employer .40%)
Wife 457: 18,000 (VTSAX through different employer .40%)

Total Roth: 11k
Total Traditional: 72k
Total Sheltered: 83k

Assumptions:

Income Projection for 2018:
   Me -  $75,000
   Wife - $77,000
   Total Income - $152,000

State Income Tax:
   Michigan: 4.25% of Federal AGI with Modification

Things that I think affect how much taxes a person pays:
   Children: 2
   Childcare Costs: ~$3,500
   Mortgage Interest: ~4,600
(what am I missing here:)

What I'm hoping for from all of you:
1.  How do I best solve this math problem for what the "correct" amount of taxes to pay each year is so that I maximize for having the most after all taxes are paid, whether that be now or when I withdraw from my 403's and 457's down the road?
2.  What other information do I need to get an accurate estimate of when I'll hit the 25% bracket in 2018? 
3.  Should I just pay an accountant figure this out?  :)

MDM

• Senior Mustachian
Re: Roth 403B or Traditional 403B
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2017, 12:37:51 PM »
What I'm hoping for from all of you:
1.  How do I best solve this math problem for what the "correct" amount of taxes to pay each year is so that I maximize for having the most after all taxes are paid, whether that be now or when I withdraw from my 403's and 457's down the road?
2.  What other information do I need to get an accurate estimate of when I'll hit the 25% bracket in 2018? 
3.  Should I just pay an accountant figure this out?  :)

1. See Investment Order, particularly item #4 and its links and footnotes.
2. The information used when you file taxes with the IRS.  If available, take whatever 2016 software you used and create dummy returns for 2017, 2018, etc. 
If that won't work, you can probably use the case study spreadsheet for a good estimate.
Take the 2016 version attached to this post and adjust the inputs until it ~matches your actual 2016 return.  Then use the most recent version for future estimates.
3. That's up to you.... ;)

DavidAnnArbor

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2017, 05:44:49 PM »
Really good Investment Order sheet.
Sometimes if you get your AGI $1 lower, you suddenly qualify for refundable tax credits you wouldn't have gotten otherwise.

aceyou

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2017, 09:00:14 PM »
Thanks MDM and Dave,

MDM, I've been reading through the investment order, as well as the bogleheads information. 

It seems like the Bogleheads information leans towards me putting more into a Roth.  It says that if you are in the 10% bracket you should favor the Roth, if you are in the 25% bracket you should favor the traditional, and if you are in the 15% then you should be indifferent...then it went on to say later that if you expect to get a pension in retirement then you should lean towards roth. 

Given that my wife and I will each get a pension right at age 48 and will each get social security later, I think we might be a case where we would NOT be as indifferent in the 15% bracket as the typical person.  And since we didn't even pop into the 15% bracket last year, that should make it even more compelling to up the Roth. 

Finally, the fact that we are currently at 11k Roth vs 72k traditional each year has me a little uneasy.  Even if I were merely at a point of indifference, then logically that would mean my contributions should be more even than it already is.  If I just switched MY 403 to a Roth 403, then that would make it 29k roth vs 54k traditional.  That would likely only involve me paying a couple thousand more in taxes each year, and will let me even out the roth vs traditional scales a bit. 

I'm not 100% sold yet, but that's where I'm leaning right now. 

MDM

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2017, 09:32:03 PM »
It says that if you are in the 10% bracket you should favor the Roth, if you are in the 25% bracket you should favor the traditional, and if you are in the 15% then you should be indifferent...then it went on to say later that if you expect to get a pension in retirement then you should lean towards roth. 

Given that my wife and I will each get a pension right at age 48 and will each get social security later, I think we might be a case where we would NOT be as indifferent in the 15% bracket as the typical person.  And since we didn't even pop into the 15% bracket last year, that should make it even more compelling to up the Roth.
Given the pensions and your excellent saving to date, there is a good chance that Roth will indeed be favorable for you going forward.  Once caveat: the Bogleheads article mentions marginal tax rate, not bracket, and notes that "marginal rate is not necessarily the same as your tax bracket; see the marginal tax rate wiki article for details."

Finally, the fact that we are currently at 11k Roth vs 72k traditional each year has me a little uneasy.  Even if I were merely at a point of indifference, then logically that would mean my contributions should be more even than it already is.  If I just switched MY 403 to a Roth 403, then that would make it 29k roth vs 54k traditional.  That would likely only involve me paying a couple thousand more in taxes each year, and will let me even out the roth vs traditional scales a bit.
Rather than "even out" you might look at apportioning your contributions based on marginal rates: use traditional for any savings with higher rates than you expect when retirement starts, and Roth for any contributions beyond that.

It'll take a little work to estimate things, but...there's a certain pleasure in assigning homework to teachers. :)

aceyou

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2017, 01:21:41 PM »
It says that if you are in the 10% bracket you should favor the Roth, if you are in the 25% bracket you should favor the traditional, and if you are in the 15% then you should be indifferent...then it went on to say later that if you expect to get a pension in retirement then you should lean towards roth. 

Given the pensions and your excellent saving to date, there is a good chance that Roth will indeed be favorable for you going forward.  Once caveat: the Bogleheads article mentions marginal tax rate, not bracket, and notes that "marginal rate is not necessarily the same as your tax bracket; see the marginal tax rate wiki article for details."

Rather than "even out" you might look at apportioning your contributions based on marginal rates: use traditional for any savings with higher rates than you expect when retirement starts, and Roth for any contributions beyond that.

It'll take a little work to estimate things, but...there's a certain pleasure in assigning homework to teachers. :)

My new understanding of Marginal Tax Rates
Alright, did a little more reading about what you wrote about marginal tax rates.  My understanding is that a marginal tax rate is the TOTAL amount of extra tax you have to pay as a PERCENT on the last dollar you claimed to have earned.  The difference is that I have to add them all up.  For example, if I'm in the 15% tax bracket, but live in Michigan with it's 4.25% income tax, then my marginal tax rate is 19.25% on the next dollar I'll earn.  And once I go into the 25% bracket, then it'll actually be 29.25%

And along with what I think David was saying earlier, you have to ADDITIONALLY look to see if claiming that extra income bumps you out of credits or deductions that you'd have otherwise snagged had you shown the lower income.  If it causes that outcome, then this too much be considered. 

A little projecting:
I looked at the Federal Income tax brackets for various years over the decades.  A few things pop out. 
1.  The tax bracket percentages change a lot depending on what congress and the president comes up with. 
2.  The dollar amount that puts you into the 25% bracket or the closest thing to it increases over time to reflect inflation.
3.  Our taxes are REALLY low right now historically. 

What does this mean:
My guess is that if things keep progressing about how they are now, then when I retire in 15 years, the 25% bracket would start around 100k of earned income.  That's about what I project our pensions to amount to, so my guess is that anything that comes out of my 403 or 457 will be around a 29.25% marginal tax rate or higher, depending on how much I draw out in any given year.

Right now I am paying around 15% federal + 4.25% state, so about 19.25% for a marginal tax rate. 

I think mathematically the optimal solution should be to:
1.  switch my 403b to a roth 403B which means that next year I'd be doing 29k roth and 54k traditional. 
2.  see where this moves my marginal tax rate fall when all is said and done. 
3.  continue to increase the percentage of roth contributions if my marginal tax rate is still far lower than 29.25%, and increase traditional contributions if marginal tax rate gets the same or higher. 

Does what I'm saying sound more correct than where I was at a couple days ago?  Are there other things I need to consider?

DavidAnnArbor

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2017, 08:49:41 PM »
Wow that's a lot of pension income. In that case it does make sense to move to Roth. Don't lose any child tax credits.

aceyou

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2017, 04:40:37 AM »
Yes, it's a lot of pension income.  It's the only reason my wife and I are working till 48, otherwise we'd probably both peace out around 42 or 43 when we hit FI.  But back to business...

Per this site, it looks like I just need to keep our MAGI under 110k:
https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/tax-tips/Family/7-Requirements-for-the-Child-Tax-Credit/INF15610.html

Here's what I project our salary to be in the 2018:
Me teaching: 65k
Me coaching: 5k
Me cash in lieu for insurance: 6k
Wife Salary: 77k
Total Income: 153k

Projected pretax sheltered income:
My 457: 18k
Wife's 457: 18k
Wife's 403: 18k
Total Pretax: 54k

153K - 54K = 99k

So, with only looking at those deductions, it appears I will be at least 11k under the number where the child tax credit starts to phase out.

Does this sound correct, or are there other credits I'm unaware of?

Also, a thank you for this discussion.  It's awesome is it that places on the internet like this exist where people can talk about complicated things in a civil and intelligent way.

DavidAnnArbor

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2017, 05:27:48 PM »
I'm probably the least qualified to talk about child tax credits. I thought there were like 2 of them. Child Tax Credit. and then Additional Child Tax Credit.
I thought maybe there was also a childcare tax credit.

And you don't have qualified dividends from taxable accounts right?  Like $10,000 coming from your taxable Vanguard accounts or something?

DavidAnnArbor

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2017, 06:06:34 PM »
By the way another way to beef up your Roth is to do a megabackdoor Roth if your 403b plan (maybe the 457 ?) allows for after-tax contribution as well as non-hardship distributions into a Roth.

MDM

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2017, 03:27:25 PM »
My new understanding of Marginal Tax Rates
Alright, did a little more reading about what you wrote about marginal tax rates.  My understanding is that a marginal tax rate is the TOTAL amount of extra tax you have to pay as a PERCENT on the last dollar you claimed to have earned.  The difference is that I have to add them all up.  For example, if I'm in the 15% tax bracket, but live in Michigan with it's 4.25% income tax, then my marginal tax rate is 19.25% on the next dollar I'll earn.  And once I go into the 25% bracket, then it'll actually be 29.25%

And along with what I think David was saying earlier, you have to ADDITIONALLY look to see if claiming that extra income bumps you out of credits or deductions that you'd have otherwise snagged had you shown the lower income.  If it causes that outcome, then this too much be considered. 

A little projecting:
I looked at the Federal Income tax brackets for various years over the decades.  A few things pop out. 
1.  The tax bracket percentages change a lot depending on what congress and the president comes up with. 
2.  The dollar amount that puts you into the 25% bracket or the closest thing to it increases over time to reflect inflation.
3.  Our taxes are REALLY low right now historically. 

What does this mean:
My guess is that if things keep progressing about how they are now, then when I retire in 15 years, the 25% bracket would start around 100k of earned income.  That's about what I project our pensions to amount to, so my guess is that anything that comes out of my 403 or 457 will be around a 29.25% marginal tax rate or higher, depending on how much I draw out in any given year.

Right now I am paying around 15% federal + 4.25% state, so about 19.25% for a marginal tax rate. 

I think mathematically the optimal solution should be to:
1.  switch my 403b to a roth 403B which means that next year I'd be doing 29k roth and 54k traditional. 
2.  see where this moves my marginal tax rate fall when all is said and done. 
3.  continue to increase the percentage of roth contributions if my marginal tax rate is still far lower than 29.25%, and increase traditional contributions if marginal tax rate gets the same or higher. 

Does what I'm saying sound more correct than where I was at a couple days ago?  Are there other things I need to consider?
Looks pretty good!

Based on numbers you've listed in this thread and some pure guesses, the total (federal + state) marginal saving rates for your 457 (and 403b) contributions look something like this:

If true, putting ~$25K into traditional accounts still looks good, after which you might prefer to direct the money to Roths - assuming your pension assumptions come to fruition.  Of course,
note the possibility of self-defeating predictions:
a) predict high taxable retirement income > contribute to Roth > get low taxable retirement income
b) predict low taxable retirement income > contribute to traditional > get high taxable retirement income

If it were me, the further away from taking the pensions (and thus the less sure of the pension amount), the more I might contribute to traditional "just in case" something changes - either voluntarily or involuntarily.  As your retirement marginal rate becomes more sure (due both to pension vesting and increased traditional account balances), then use Roth to the fullest (but still based on the marginal rate analysis).  YMMV.

The tables below show the inputs that led to the chart.  You can use the case study spreadsheet with your actual numbers for more accuracy.

CategoryMonthly
Comments
Annual
Salary/Wages for earner #1$6,333$76,000
Salary/Wages for earner #2$6,417$77,000
401(k) / 403(b) / TSP / etc.$1,500Room to increase?$18,000
457 plans   $3,000At maximum$36,000
Subtotal 1$8,250$99,000
Federal Total Income (for IRS tax)$8,250$99,000
Federal tax$5742017 rates, MFJ, stand. ded., 4 exempt.$6,883
State/City tax$293Guess, using 4.25% * (AGI - Exempt'n)$3,519
Soc. Sec. tax$791Assumes 2 earners paying$9,486
Medicare tax$185$2,219
Total income taxes$1,842$22,106
Income before other expenses  $6,408$76,894
Monthly Average Expenses:
Mortgage$555Input to Itemized Deductions$6,655
Childcare$292Input to Child and Dependent Care credit$3,500

Filing Status21=S, 2=MFJ, 3=HOH
# Exemptions4
# Children <172
# Children <132
# Children for EIC2
Adult #1Adult #2
Age3535
# of earners2
Total Income$99,000
Std. Deduct.$12,700
Act. Deduct.$12,700
Exemption$16,200
AGI$99,000
MAGI$99,000
Taxable$70,100
1040 Tax$9,583
Dep. Care credit$700
Tax after n-r credit$8,883
Child Tax Cred.$2,000
Net Tax$6,883
Monthly$574
Mtg. Int. (approx.)$4,600
State tax$3,5194.25%
Item. Deduct.$8,119
VersionV9.02

Loans:Orig. Prin.Orig. LengthCurr. Prin.Yrs leftRate
Mortgage$116,16230$116,162304.000%

DavidAnnArbor

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2017, 07:16:21 PM »
Aren't there some teacher's tax credits for supplies ?

MDM

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2017, 07:40:44 PM »
Aren't there some teacher's tax credits for supplies ?

Not credits, but from 2016 Instruction 1040 - i1040gi.pdf:
Educator  expenses.
You  may  be  able
to deduct certain expenses for professio-
nal development courses you have taken
related to the curriculum you teach or to
the students you teach. See the instruc-
tions for line 23.