Author Topic: planning budget for 2017, is this correct?  (Read 2275 times)

Neverstop

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
planning budget for 2017, is this correct?
« on: July 02, 2016, 04:29:06 PM »
Im am planning my budget for 2017 since I plan on going back to college in January, but I want to make sure I am doing things correctly so I have a few questions.

HSA contributions = exempt from local, fed, and FICA
IRA contribution= exempt from local and fed, subject to FICA
401K contributions= exempt from local and fed, subject to CIA

What about employer funded Health, vision, and dental programs? Are those also exempt from local,fed, and FICA? If I am paying $38 a week for my employer funded HSA, dental, and vision is that amount also exempt from local, fed, and FICA along with my actual HSA contribution?

Fica taxes would be [(Gross)- (HSA+insurance)] * FICA rate, correct?

AGI is (gross)- (HSA+IRA+401k+insurance+student loan interest+tuition), correct?

So my Fed tax due is [(Gross)- (AGI- standard deduction- personal exemption)] * tax bracket, correct?

MAGI would be (gross)- (401k+insurance), correct?

Also, if I pay for tuition in january of 2017 and it goes on a 2016 1099-T then it can it only be filed for the 2016 tax year?
« Last Edit: July 02, 2016, 04:32:04 PM by poorgerm »

MDM

• Senior Mustachian
Re: planning budget for 2017, is this correct?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2016, 09:46:36 PM »
Correct on most, not on some, and maybe on others.

For the HSA, see Health Savings Account (HSA) State Tax Information for states that do and don't tax.  Also, you may avoid FICA on HSA deductions if made through your employer, but not if your make your HSA contribution separately.  That $38/wk is likely going to the HDHP insurance (and dental and vision insurance) instead of an HSA, correct?

See State income taxes - Bogleheads for states that don't follow federal rules regarding IRAs, 401ks, etc.

Don't know about every state and local tax code, but if you have a Cafeteria Plan your insurance payments are not taxable by the IRS.

FICA tax calculation looks correct, at least if your gross is less than $100K.

You may not be able to deduct 100% of your tuition.  See Publication 970 (2015), Tax Benefits for Education.

Your "Fed tax due" calculation is definitely incorrect.  You don't pay a higher tax bracket rate on your entire taxable income.  See Rate schedule (federal income tax) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia for how it actually works.

There are multiple MAGIs.  See Publication 590-A (2015), Contributions to Individual Retirement Arrangements (IRAs) for the MAGI relevant to traditional IRAs.

As Publication 970 for 2015 taxes (see link above) notes,
However, the amount on Form 1098-T, boxes 1 and 2, might be different than what you paid. When figuring the deduction, use only the amounts you paid in 2015 for qualified education expenses.
If you don't pay any tuition in 2016, you can't have any tuition deductions in 2016.

Neverstop

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2016, 10:32:44 PM »
Yes that $38 is going to HDHP and my employer is directly depositing money into my HSA and it is not being taxed.

So MAGI is not the same across the board? 

For traditional IRAs are they considered pre-tax because they are tax deductible or is your employer able to deposit money directly into it?

MDM

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2016, 04:57:56 AM »
For traditional IRAs are they considered pre-tax because they are tax deductible or is your employer able to deposit money directly into it?

Because they are tax deductible.  Your contribute to one separate from anything your employer does.