Author Topic: No earned income, how to reduce passive income for taxes?  (Read 1361 times)

CurledMoss

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
No earned income, how to reduce passive income for taxes?
« on: August 10, 2022, 09:56:06 AM »
My plan when reaching fire was to keep my AGI in the 0% federal capital gains bracket by investing in my IRA or whatever others mean (under 40k). It would also keep my income lower to be eligible for Obama care. I recently learned that you need "earned income", not passive income, to contribute to an IRA.

I receive income from the rental of farmland, wind rights, dividends, plus a few other sources (all passive).

The only thing I think I've been able to find is I can still contribute to an HSA to reduce the income a little. I also have 10 years of TLH (another 3k) I can use to reduce my income.

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Sandi_k

• Handlebar Stache
Re: No earned income, how to reduce passive income for taxes?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2022, 10:18:28 AM »
Not sure when you're FIREing, but the new PACT Act has waived the Obamacare income cap for another 3 years.

Other than that, no idea, other than working enough to contribute $6k from earned income.

CurledMoss

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2022, 10:30:17 AM »
Not sure when you're FIREing, but the new PACT Act has waived the Obamacare income cap for another 3 years.

Other than that, no idea, other than working enough to contribute $6k from earned income.

I'll keep that in mind for now, thanks.

Maybe I can be the "manager" of the land or something and deduct certain expenses. I'm not at this point yet but researching it now to stay on top of things.

Papa bear

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2022, 10:34:42 AM »
Will let you do the math here, but having earned income from your business will add on self employment taxes, which will be typically be a lot more money spent than you’d save by deferring your taxes. You also need to find out if you have 40 quarters of earned income so that you’re eligible for social security.

But some outside the box thinking:

Get married to someone that has earned income. You can put money in an IRA if they have earned income.

Get a part time job.  Dump every penny in tax deferred accounts.

Start a business.  Have your rentals pay your business for work.  Pay the extra taxes so it’s considered earned income.  You’ll pay into social security to make sure you have your 40 quarters, you’ll pay more in taxes, but then you can defer some taxes with retirement accounts.  IRA’s and individual 401(k) will be your friend.

But. You do the math for yourself.  See if it makes sense.  Passive income is already pretty good for taxes anyway. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CurledMoss

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2022, 05:46:29 PM »
Will let you do the math here, but having earned income from your business will add on self employment taxes, which will be typically be a lot more money spent than you’d save by deferring your taxes. You also need to find out if you have 40 quarters of earned income so that you’re eligible for social security.

Get married to someone that has earned income. You can put money in an IRA if they have earned income.

Start a business.  Have your rentals pay your business for work.  Pay the extra taxes so it’s considered earned income.  You’ll pay into social security to make sure you have your 40 quarters, you’ll pay more in taxes, but then you can defer some taxes with retirement accounts.  IRA’s and individual 401(k) will be your friend.

But. You do the math for yourself.  See if it makes sense.  Passive income is already pretty good for taxes anyway. 

You make a few good points! One of which I wasn't even aware of. That "non earned" income does not count towards social security. I wouldn't have to pay FICA and would have 7.65% less tax burden, correct? Yes I have reached the 40 quarters and am eligible for social security. Looking at ssa.gov, I'm 36 years old now. If I had $0 future annual salary, at 62 years old, my SS would be $16,548. If I had an income of $40,000 a year until 62 years old. My SS would be $21,240. A difference of $4,692 a year. Not much really... I suppose at 70 it could be a more significant difference.

Marriage along with a SOLID prenup are a future possibility.

I like all you input and really appreciate you taking the time to inform me, and everyone else on here. I guess it comes down to what kind of lifestyle I want/need and income needed for it. At the end of the day I'll keep my lifestyle simple and try not to touch any money that is invested unless absolutely needed to.

Papa bear

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2022, 12:38:00 PM »

You make a few good points! One of which I wasn't even aware of. That "non earned" income does not count towards social security. I wouldn't have to pay FICA and would have 7.65% less tax burden, correct? Yes I have reached the 40 quarters and am eligible for social security. Looking at ssa.gov, I'm 36 years old now. If I had $0 future annual salary, at 62 years old, my SS would be $16,548. If I had an income of $40,000 a year until 62 years old. My SS would be $21,240. A difference of $4,692 a year. Not much really... I suppose at 70 it could be a more significant difference.

Marriage along with a SOLID prenup are a future possibility.

I like all you input and really appreciate you taking the time to inform me, and everyone else on here. I guess it comes down to what kind of lifestyle I want/need and income needed for it. At the end of the day I'll keep my lifestyle simple and try not to touch any money that is invested unless absolutely needed to.
Earned income as self employed and you are responsible for both the employee AND employer side of the equation. So around 15% extra taxes.  Now, the employer side is deductible, so your net is less, but your net payout on taxes will still be 10-14%

So if you want to pay 10-14% more taxes so you can defer your taxes in retirement accounts, go ahead.  But you do the math in your own situation to figure out if that makes sense.