Author Topic: Married Joint now HoH. Tax tips? 2014 state refund amount is joint?  (Read 1864 times)

ETBen

• Bristles
    • I started a journal about single parenting and the new life towards FIRE
I was married and filing joint last year.  I am now legally separated and filing HoH.  I own my own primary residence and have dependents.

Question 1: any good sites you recommend for tax tips?  I've been reading other posts but ask anyway.  I earn over $130k per year, own a home, 2 kids.  This is my first year doing my own taxes (TaxAct).  But I want to plan ahead for 2016.  Other info below if that is useful.

Question 2:  If I need to report the amount of my 2014 state refund, how do I do that when it was a joint return last year? 

General tax info:
130k income
2 kids, will give spouse right to claim 1 of the kids
Will be divorced 2016
Own a home
Drive for work but am reimbursed at the full fed amount (Prius, it covers more than my driving expenses and care).
Max out 401k
Rolling over old 401K to an IRA this year
5k to IRA
Tuition for masters, but fully paid by employer
5k for child care (summer and after school)
No HSA. I have a PPO and my employer gives me credits that reduces the premium to very little. 

MDM

• Senior Mustachian
Re: Married Joint now HoH. Tax tips? 2014 state refund amount is joint?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2016, 09:12:22 PM »
Question 1: any good sites you recommend for tax tips?  I've been reading other posts but ask anyway.  I earn over $130k per year, own a home, 2 kids.  This is my first year doing my own taxes (TaxAct).  But I want to plan ahead for 2016.
It appears you have addressed the major opportunity with the max 401k.  Bogleheads is another good forum.  A classic, albeit somewhat tongue in cheek, post on tax reduction is https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=79900.

Question 2:  If I need to report the amount of my 2014 state refund, how do I do that when it was a joint return last year?

From https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1899663-is-the-state-or-local-tax-refund-i-got-last-year-taxable-on-this-year-s-return:
I got divorced. Is my state refund taxable to me on my return?
If you filed Married Filing Jointly (MFJ) the previous year, the state will report the state refund on your 1099-G and to the IRS under both of your names and social security numbers as though you were still married.
If this is the case, and state taxes were deducted as itemized deductions, you would typically divide the amount reported on 1099-G or refunded on your state taxes between you and your former spouse.
If you filed Married Filing Separately (MFS), then you and your former spouse will receive separate forms and you will only be responsible for the refund amount on your 1099-G or separate state return.
Note: Your divorce decree may state specific amounts to be divided between you and your former spouse on your tax return. If so, you should follow the divorce decree.

ETBen

• Bristles
    • I started a journal about single parenting and the new life towards FIRE
Re: Married Joint now HoH. Tax tips? 2014 state refund amount is joint?
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2016, 06:47:31 PM »
Thank you!