Author Topic: mandatory 20% federal withholding tax on 457b ?  (Read 2083 times)

bortman

• Stubble
mandatory 20% federal withholding tax on 457b ?
« on: April 10, 2018, 01:32:28 PM »
I'm 46 and preparing to leave my job in the next few months. I have a 457b from which I'm considering making as-needed lump-sum withdrawals, rather than rolling over into a tIRA and then pipelining into a Roth IRA.

One of the 457b provider's docs states: "A mandatory 20% federal withholding tax applies directly to distributions taken that could be eligible for a rollover."

Is the 20% withholding a tax penalty. i.e. if I request to withdraw $30k, I'll actually receive $24k and never be able to directly recoup any/all of the $6k tax withholding.

Or, does this mean that I can get some of that 20% back when I file my 2018 tax return since I expect to land in the 12% tax bracket? Will the 20% federal withholding be reported on a 1099-R in Box 4 as "Federal income tax withheld"? i.e. is it analogous to over-paying withholding on my weekly paycheck, then recouping some of that money after entering W-2 details on my tax return.

terran

• Magnum Stache
Re: mandatory 20% federal withholding tax on 457b ?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2018, 02:33:16 PM »
You should check with the provider, but it sounds to me like they'll withhold the 20% and that will count against you tax liability when you file your taxes. So if you owe less you'll get it back, if you owe more you'll pay the difference.

MDM

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2018, 03:45:56 PM »
...they'll withhold the 20% and that will count against you tax liability when you file your taxes. So if you owe less you'll get it back, if you owe more you'll pay the difference.
^It's this.

See page 8 of 2018 Publication 15-A - p15a.pdf.

bortman

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2018, 05:12:51 PM »
Thanks!

JIC the link breaks later, from Publication 15-A for 2018, Section 8 Page 24:

Eligible Rollover Distribution—20% Withholding
Distributions from eligible retirement plans (other than IRAs), such as qualified plans, 401(k) plans, section 457(b) plans maintained by a governmental employer, section 403(a) annuity plans or section 403(b) tax-sheltered annuities that are eligible to be rolled over tax free to an IRA or another eligible retirement plan, are subject to a flat 20% withholding rate. The 20% withholding rate is required and a recipient can't choose to have less federal income tax withheld from eligible rollover distributions. However, you shouldn't withhold federal income tax if the entire distribution is transferred in a direct rollover to a traditional IRA or another eligible retirement plan.