Author Topic: Larger Losses and Taxes  (Read 1227 times)

leighb

• Stubble
Larger Losses and Taxes
« on: October 21, 2015, 05:37:00 PM »
Sooo....

I've inherited a messy stock portfolio full of penny stocks. I've done my best to turn them into securities that I understand with more controllable risks. But that's another story.  Regardless, some of the shares have gone down to zero, so I can write them off as a total loss. Here's the deal. I've lost many times more than my total yearly income. I haven't written them off yet, since I don't really understand the tax implications.

Do I or should I consult a tax expert in this situation? In years past I've used turbo-tax easily enough to account for my rental income and capital gains. I'm use to dealing with losses that do not get carried over (I'm not sure if that's the correct term here.)

Thanks,

geekette

• Magnum Stache
Re: Larger Losses and Taxes
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2015, 06:00:49 PM »
Your basis in the stock is what they were worth on the day the decedent died.  Have they gone to zero since then?

leighb

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2015, 06:45:42 PM »
Yes

MDM

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2015, 09:05:54 PM »
...I've lost many times more than my total yearly income. I haven't written them off yet, since I don't really understand the tax implications.

Do I or should I consult a tax expert in this situation?
Given the size of the potential write-off: yes, for at least one year's return, maybe two.  After that, assuming you have the expert explain so you do understand, you should be able to do things on your own.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!