Author Topic: Itemized charity tax deduction versus Craigslisting  (Read 1923 times)

Basenji

• Handlebar Stache
Itemized charity tax deduction versus Craigslisting
« on: July 11, 2015, 08:14:05 PM »
In the past we have given unwanted but not valuable items to Goodwill and other charities, and then wrote off the donations on our taxes. I read about people selling their unwanted things (e.g., eBay/Craigslist), and I may do that for selected valuable items. Does anyone have a monetary value or amount of effort cutoff they use for sell versus donate? Should I be more energetic about selling stuff?

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
Re: Itemized charity tax deduction versus Craigslisting
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2015, 08:21:56 PM »
In the past we have given unwanted but not valuable items to Goodwill and other charities, and then wrote off the donations on our taxes. I read about people selling their unwanted things (e.g., eBay/Craigslist), and I may do that for selected valuable items. Does anyone have a monetary value or amount of effort cutoff they use for sell versus donate? Should I be more energetic about selling stuff?

$25. Or a bundle of several smaller related items (such as a selection of baby items) that total $25. And if the person is low-hassle, I'll plan to accept $20.

Basenji

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2015, 08:30:51 PM »
Wow, thanks. Lower than I was thinking. Maybe I just need to get over the intimidation factor of selling stuff.

Cpa Cat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2015, 08:58:38 PM »
I always take used books and DVDs to Hastings or the used book store for cash. Whatever they don't accept, I donate.

I always donate clothes.

Small, garage-sale type items are packed up and taken to Goodwill (I don't keep a bunch of stuff around waiting until I have enough for a garage sale).

I have to be looking at at least $50 to even consider Craigslist. I find it to be a huge, annoying hassle. And if I've recently Craigslisted something and the annoyance is fresh in my mind, the threshold goes way up.

N

• Handlebar Stache
  • You must change your life. -Rainer Maria Rilke
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2015, 10:04:22 PM »
Im in Chicago, and here there are several facebook pages for areas/neighborhoods virtual garage sales. You list items in a post on the page. Ive sold a lot of stuff, and lots of lower priced items. (even 2$ items, sometimes) but Im an at home parent, and its not a huge time investment for me, so I consider any sale worth it.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!