Author Topic: Is it true you pay zero taxes on LT Cap gains under $41,000  (Read 1803 times)

Unionville

• Pencil Stache
Is it true you pay zero taxes on LT Cap gains under $41,000
« on: March 14, 2023, 10:26:25 PM »
Hypothetical:  If I am living off investments that are long term, is it really true a single person does not pay taxes, as long as they keep it under $41,675 (and don't have other income)? Seems pretty unbelievable - and weird. Am I reading this correctly? 
« Last Edit: March 14, 2023, 10:28:00 PM by TodayOhBoy »

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
Re: Is it true you pay zero taxes on LT Cap gains under $41,000
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2023, 11:00:01 PM »
The rates for 2023 are actually $44,675 (single) - but yes, you have the basic idea correct.

Remember that you are only taxed on the gains, not the original contribution ( or “basis”).

An example: lets suppose over several decades you contribute $350k into a taxable investment account in index funds. The market has been roughly following its long term average, and that $350k has grown to $1 million. You have a $350k basis and $650k in long term capitol gains.

Ignoring all other deductions and credits, in 2023 you could withdraw $44,675 + $15,636 =$60,311 and pay $0 in taxes. Technically you would owe 0% on $44,675 (0.00 * 44,675  = $0) while the $15,636 was not taxed at all.
You can further boost this amount by withdrawing funds from a Roth and taking advantage of other deductions and credits.

This is why many retirees pay nothing in federal taxes. Our taxation system is heavily weighted towards taxing earned income, and very favorable towards investment gains.  Note also that SS and pensions can be taxed like earned income

Unionville

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2023, 11:17:04 PM »
The rates for 2023 are actually $44,675 (single) - but yes, you have the basic idea correct.

Remember that you are only taxed on the gains, not the original contribution ( or “basis”).

An example: lets suppose over several decades you contribute $350k into a taxable investment account in index funds. The market has been roughly following its long term average, and that $350k has grown to $1 million. You have a $350k basis and $650k in long term capitol gains.

Ignoring all other deductions and credits, in 2023 you could withdraw $44,675 + $15,636 =$60,311 and pay $0 in taxes. Technically you would owe 0% on $44,675 (0.00 * 44,675  = $0) while the $15,636 was not taxed at all.
You can further boost this amount by withdrawing funds from a Roth and taking advantage of other deductions and credits.

This is why many retirees pay nothing in federal taxes. Our taxation system is heavily weighted towards taxing earned income, and very favorable towards investment gains.  Note also that SS and pensions can be taxed like earned income

That is shocking information! It seems like Long term gain rules have changed.  Last I knew I thought they were 7 or 10 years.  Now it seems it's 1 (!).  A lot has changed since I looked at the laws.  Even though I might benefit from this  - I have one question about your statement.  Are you saying income does not count against the capital gains?  So for example, If you withdrew $44,000 LT gains and made $100,000 a year at a job, you still won't be taxed on the  capital gains? .  One could look at this like a CD with 15% return (as long as you withdraw investments under $44,000). 

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
    • Age of Eon - Overwatch player videos
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2023, 11:40:23 PM »

That is shocking information! It seems like Long term gain rules have changed.  Last I knew I thought they were 7 or 10 years.  Now it seems it's 1 (!).  A lot has changed since I looked at the laws.  Even though I might benefit from this  - I have one question about your statement.  Are you saying income does not count against the capital gains?  So for example, If you withdrew $44,000 LT gains and made $100,000 a year at a job, you still won't be taxed on the  capital gains? .  One could look at this like a CD with 15% return (as long as you withdraw investments under $44,000).

Long term has been over one year for many years now.

As for your question, no, that's not how it works.  The $100K would be taxed at ordinary income tax rates, then the $44K would be taxed at 15% because the capital gains are "stacked" on top of the $100K of job income.

Also, as an aside, I think @nereo was trying to account for the standard deduction when they were adding the $15,636 number.  While correct in principle (i.e. the standard deduction amount is subtracted from gross income to get taxable income), the standard deduction for a single person under 65 and not blind in 2023 is $13,850.

Also, while it is true that you won't pay federal income tax, there are other tax effects that should be considered:

1.  Capital gains add to AGI, and therefore affect things like ACA subsidies, eligibility for most tax credits, and FAFSA EFC/SAI.

2.  Most states tax capital gains as ordinary income, so you'd likely owe state income taxes on the amount of the capital gain.

3.  Short term gains (one year or less), are not eligible for the 0% bracket; they're taxed as ordinary income.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2023, 11:45:07 PM by secondcor521 »

Unionville

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2023, 12:18:01 AM »
oops -  I meant no state tax on Government Bond - not CD
« Last Edit: March 15, 2023, 12:40:18 AM by TodayOhBoy »

SeattleCPA

• Handlebar Stache
    • Evergreen Small Business
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2023, 06:22:42 AM »

I disagree with the assessment is the system heavily taxes earned income. A better description is that the federal income tax system is pretty progressive. With a low income, you pay negative federal income taxes. (I.e., you get credits from federal government like earned income credit or premium tax credit.) With median income, you don't much federal income taxes. (Often zero or close to it.) And then as your income rises, you start to pay.

I've remarked before, in the context of some people's obsession about Roth-IRAs and Roth-401(k)s, that most people never accumulate enough money in their IRA to even be subject to income taxes on the ordinary income that flows out of an IRA. That's a good example of a handful of things. First, that it's not just investment income that's lightly taxed. Second, that one benefits from understanding the way marginal tax rates and the "tax brackets" work because you can optimize. Third, that most people need to focus on saving for retirement and not worry about what kind of container stores the wealth.

Sorry. I'll sit down now.

P.S. It's not just long-term capital gains that get taxed at a preferential 0% rate. Qualified dividends too. So someone with say $5M in a passive taxable account with zero realization of LT capital gains but(roughly) $100K a year in qualified dividends? They're probably paying nearly zero percent in federal income taxes if they're married.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2023, 06:24:33 AM by SeattleCPA »

Unionville

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2023, 11:03:29 AM »

P.S. It's not just long-term capital gains that get taxed at a preferential 0% rate. Qualified dividends too. So someone with say $5M in a passive taxable account with zero realization of LT capital gains but(roughly) $100K a year in qualified dividends? They're probably paying nearly zero percent in federal income taxes if they're married.

I appreciate hearing different perspectives since taxes can be complex and perhaps political.  Whether logical or not, for me, my 'gut feeling' is I would have rather had a tax break when I was younger and living paycheck to paycheck, whereas now (FI) I feel like I'm getting a tax break for not working.  But other topic -- can you tell me about the 100K in qualified dividends?  Are you saying they are tax free if you don't cash out any of the principal and just live off the dividends?  I thought qualified dividends are taxable.

seattlecyclone

• Walrus Stache
    • My blog
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2023, 11:34:34 AM »
Qualified dividends are taxed the same as long-term gains. The $100k example was for a married couple: they get a $27,700 standard deduction and pay 0% income tax on qualified dividends or capital gains up to $89,250 of taxable income, so if $100k of dividends was their only income they wouldn't owe federal income tax.

Unionville

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2023, 01:29:57 PM »
All this information is incredibly helpful to me.  Either I'm the last one to know it, or everyone else should know it and doesn't (0% tax bracket). I just asked 2 FIRE friends of mine and they didn't know it either. I appreciate all the information/dialogue here. It shifts and simplifies my financial planning and I already feel weight off my shoulders.  General popular financial advice screams about capital gains so much, you end up fearing cashing anything out - but when you really drill down and analyze these things, many so-called rules-of-thumb aren't always applicable to FIRE people that don't have salaries.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2023, 01:46:37 PM »

Also, as an aside, I think @nereo was trying to account for the standard deduction when they were adding the $15,636 number.  While correct in principle (i.e. the standard deduction amount is subtracted from gross income to get taxable income), the standard deduction for a single person under 65 and not blind in 2023 is $13,850.

Just addressing this - the $15,636 number was an attempt to account for the cost basis of a hypothetical (but realistic) portfolio in  my example.  Yes, it's very simplified, but I was assuming that 35% of the total value of the portfolio was contributions, and the remainder was LTCG.  I also assumed that the person took funds out proportionately*. 
So: in the example a single retiree has $0 of earned income, and sold $60,311 from their taxable index fund. 

Even though that person exceed the $44,675 bracket for 0% LTCG s/he *still* could owe $0 in federal income tax because the remaining $15,636 came from contributions, not from gains.  My broader point was: Only gains are taxed.**

*In reality you can choose how to calculate realized gains, but that further complicates the example.
** A person can also use loses to offset gains.  If an asset like a stock fund loses value, that loss can be realized (sold) and used to offset gains elsewhere.

SeattleCPA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2023, 04:22:14 PM »
Qualified dividends are taxed the same as long-term gains. The $100k example was for a married couple: they get a $27,700 standard deduction and pay 0% income tax on qualified dividends or capital gains up to $89,250 of taxable income, so if $100k of dividends was their only income they wouldn't owe federal income tax.

+1

MDM

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2023, 06:45:06 PM »
...everyone else should know it and doesn't....
Understanding how federal and state tax laws apply to your own situation is indeed an important component of any do-it-yourself financial planning.

Frankies Girl

• Magnum Stache
  • Ghouls Just Wanna Have Funds!
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2023, 07:13:06 PM »
I'm an anchdotal example of this.

FIREd about 8 years ago, haven't paid a penny in taxes since.

And thanks to some of the even more savvy folks here, I also learned about re-buying in my taxable account to reset my cost basis if I didn't truly need the money that I received from selling funds to top off my taxable income bucket. I keep our taxable income below a certain level to hit the sweet spot of ACA subsidies and cost sharing while still providing the year's expenses. The cost basis reset/cap gains is a double bonus as far as I'm concerned. I may be able to stay ahead of the tax situation for decades before I have a portfolio so large I'm forced to take distributions that will throw me into a tax bracket that requires actual taxes. It truly is crazy/cool how that works.

Unionville

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2023, 04:57:05 PM »
@nereo and @SeattleCPA -

Follow up question -

Do you know if LT cap gains over the the $44,675 (2023) is the amount that gets taxed 15%, or is the complete $44,675 taxed at 15 % (once you slip over).

For example, if you have no income except LT investments, and then you cash out $50,000 (all gains), does the $50,000 bump the whole amount up to 15% or just on the $5,025 that you went over?
« Last Edit: March 16, 2023, 04:59:41 PM by TodayOhBoy »

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2023, 05:39:50 PM »
@nereo and @SeattleCPA -

Follow up question -

Do you know if LT cap gains over the the $44,675 (2023) is the amount that gets taxed 15%, or is the complete $44,675 taxed at 15 % (once you slip over).

For example, if you have no income except LT investments, and then you cash out $50,000 (all gains), does the $50,000 bump the whole amount up to 15% or just on the $5,025 that you went over?

Not who you asked, but I know the answer.

Capital gains brackets work similarly to ordinary tax brackets in that it is only the amount that spills over into the next bracket which is taxed at the higher amount.

So in the example you gave, the capital gains tax would be 15% x $5,025, or a bit over $750.

SeattleCPA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2023, 08:05:07 AM »
@nereo and @SeattleCPA -

Follow up question -

Not who you asked, but I know the answer.

Capital gains brackets work similarly to ordinary tax brackets in that it is only the amount that spills over into the next bracket which is taxed at the higher amount.

So in the example you gave, the capital gains tax would be 15% x $5,025, or a bit over $750.

+1

P.S. @secondcor521 knows a lot of tax.

Unionville

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2023, 12:41:58 PM »
Well I want to thank everyone once again.  These small pieces of information have a big impact on my planning, and eliminates a lot of confusion.  My motto for most of my life is "Education is the true liberation" -  As it has shown here. 

merula

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2023, 03:12:59 PM »
And thanks to some of the even more savvy folks here, I also learned about re-buying in my taxable account to reset my cost basis if I didn't truly need the money that I received from selling funds to top off my taxable income bucket. I keep our taxable income below a certain level to hit the sweet spot of ACA subsidies and cost sharing while still providing the year's expenses. The cost basis reset/cap gains is a double bonus as far as I'm concerned. I may be able to stay ahead of the tax situation for decades before I have a portfolio so large I'm forced to take distributions that will throw me into a tax bracket that requires actual taxes. It truly is crazy/cool how that works.

I tried googling this and only got results about inherited assets. Are you saying you sell assets to realized gains that will be tax free in the current year based on your current income and tax bracket, so that whenever you need to sell those assets for real the taxes would be lower because you'll only be paying on a fraction of the gains?

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2023, 03:17:35 PM »

I tried googling this and only got results about inherited assets. Are you saying you sell assets to realized gains that will be tax free in the current year based on your current income and tax bracket, so that whenever you need to sell those assets for real the taxes would be lower because you'll only be paying on a fraction of the gains?

Not FG, but you might try googling "capital gain harvesting" to read about the topic.

Frankies Girl

• Magnum Stache
  • Ghouls Just Wanna Have Funds!
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2023, 04:10:28 PM »
@merula  Yup, like seconcor521 said - capital gains harvesting.

Here's my thread learning about this and the whole taxable account cost basis fun.

https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/ask-a-mustachian/quick-(i-hope)-question-which-account-should-i-take-the-money

Unionville

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2023, 08:39:49 PM »
This is such a helpful thread.

Another question has arisen:  Are One year Tbills considered LT or ST capital gains? My understanding are federal bonds are also tax free for state taxes.

MDM

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2023, 09:04:37 PM »
Another question has arisen:  Are One year Tbills considered LT or ST capital gains? My understanding are federal bonds are also tax free for state taxes.
Whether a capital gain on something you purchased is long or short term depends only on the length of time you held it between buying and selling.

The interest on US Treasuries is indeed state tax exempt.  A capital gain on the sale of US Treasuries is not state tax exempt.  See How Are Treasury Bills (T-Bills) paid and taxed?

Unionville

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2023, 10:06:20 PM »
Whether a capital gain on something you purchased is long or short term depends only on the length of time you held it between buying and selling.

The interest on US Treasuries is indeed state tax exempt.  A capital gain on the sale of US Treasuries is not state tax exempt.  See How Are Treasury Bills (T-Bills) paid and taxed?

So, based on what you said and on this quote in the article "because the interest earnings from Treasury bills are not taxed at state or local levels, these investments may be especially advantageous for those who live in a high-tax state such as New York or California." 

Tell me if I'm correct:

-Tbill Interest is not considered capital gains (unless you sell the tbill or bond, then it is a capital gain.)
-It might be possible to pay 0% taxes to the fed on $44,000 capital gains, but at the same time, you might pay the fed taxes on interest from a Tbill at the regular marginal rate (which is the same as earned income).
-It doesn't matter what year/month you buy and keep a Tbill for interest since cap gains don't apply.
-Whether you buy a 1 year tbill or a 10 year treasury (and don't sell them), it doesn't matter to the feds, all that matters is the interest you make yearly (like bank interest)
-The state won't tax you on the tbills interest, no matter what kind of other income you have (Capital gains, a 400,000 job or interest income.)  They basically are blind to treasury income.

I feel like I just took a test and hopefully passed.

Boy I sure sound like a cheapskate - but not really - just super curious about the topic. It's like a whole new interesting world.

Great article by the way.

MDM

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2023, 10:31:01 PM »

So, based on what you said and on this quote in the article "because the interest earnings from Treasury bills are not taxed at state or local levels, these investments may be especially advantageous for those who live in a high-tax state such as New York or California." 

Tell me if I'm correct:

-Tbill Interest is not considered capital gains (unless you sell the tbill or bond, then it is a capital gain.) Correct.  For that matter, no interest from any source is considered a capital gain.
-It might be possible to pay 0% taxes to the fed on $44,000 capital gains, but at the same time, you might pay the fed taxes on interest from a Tbill at the regular marginal rate (which is the same as earned income).  That is probably a reference to the $44,625 start of the 15% Long Term Capital Gains (LTCG) bracket.  A couple of things about that:
1) Tax brackets refer to net income after one subtracts the standard (or itemized) deduction.
2) LTCG amounts relative to the LTCG brackets are stacked "on top of" ordinary income.  E.g., if one has $24K ordinary income and $40K LTCG, there would be
- $1018 tax on $24K - $13,850 = $10,150 ordinary income, and
- $829 tax on $40K - ($44,625 - $10,150) = $40K - $34,475 = $5,525 LTCG.

-It doesn't matter what year/month you buy and keep a Tbill for interest since cap gains don't apply.  Correct.
-Whether you buy a 1 year tbill or a 10 year treasury (and don't sell them), it doesn't matter to the feds, all that matters is the interest you make yearly (like bank interest) Correct.
-The state won't tax you on the tbills interest, no matter what kind of other income you have (Capital gains, a 400,000 job or interest income.)  They basically are blind to treasury income. Correct.

Comments in blue above.  See the case study spreadsheet, cells Calculations!K3:M31 for a worked example (given inputs) of the "Qualified Dividends and Capital Gain Tax Worksheet."

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2023, 03:02:03 AM »
For more on the subject, check out GoCurryCracker. He blogs on this subject frequently and has elevated it to his advantage quite successfully.

There. Isn't that better than "PTF"?

Unionville

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2023, 10:56:51 AM »
For more on the subject, check out GoCurryCracker. He blogs on this subject frequently and has elevated it to his advantage quite successfully.

I'm unclear as to what you are suggesting.  That I should end this thread?  I don't intend to annoy anyone.  I'm just learning a lot (especially from MDM) with specifically directed questions. If you want to recommend any specific articles, feel free.

reeshau

• Magnum Stache
  • Former locations: Detroit, Indianapolis, Dublin
« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2023, 11:13:54 AM »

I'm unclear as to what you are suggesting.  That I should end this thread?  I don't intend to annoy anyone.  I'm just learning a lot (especially from MDM) with specifically directed questions. If you want to recommend any specific articles, feel free.

@Dicey isn't poking fun at you.  "PTF" is posting to follow--a common thing when someone is interested in the topic, but doesn't have something particular to add to it.

GoCurryCracker is an external FIRE blog.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2023, 12:49:19 PM »

@Dicey isn't poking fun at you.  "PTF" is posting to follow--a common thing when someone is interested in the topic, but doesn't have something particular to add to it.

Thank you, @reeshau.

Unionville

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2023, 02:29:06 PM »

No offense taken.  I find this thread to be incredibly eye-opening because of what I consider the expert advice I've gotten. It's rare that a thread has a significant impact on my future plans/decisions. And it's probably because I can ask narrowly targeted questions in different ways until I have the 'aha' moment of understanding.

Regarding blogs, I do read several but often can't find the answer to my question.  Being referred to a specific article about my question helps.  And the best is what happened here - people gave specific examples - which naturally leads to more creative thinking and questions. lol.