Author Topic: free fillable forms - what forms need attached?  (Read 4385 times)

Apples

• Handlebar Stache
free fillable forms - what forms need attached?
« on: February 12, 2017, 08:21:11 AM »
So I'm doing the free fillable forms for the federal return.  This is my second year doing my own taxes.  We have a fairly simple return, are married, and gross just over $100k.

Forms we have:

2 W-2's (I know we add these to the return in Step 2)
1095-B to prove year of health coverage (I know this doesn't need to be attached)
1099-INT from our bank for $30 of interest we earned on checking and savings accounts Does this form need to be attached? I can't find it on the list of available forms to attach, but it feels like this should go along somehow.
1099-DIV for our taxable account:  Ordinary dividends of $430.44 and qualified dividends of $391.53.  Every other box on the form is empty.  I have used the worksheet within the instructions for the 1040 to determine what tax I owe based on these numbers.  Does this form need to be attached?  If so, how?

Google doesn't seem to want to tell me the straight answer to this.  I've seen that if you're mailing your return you should send it along, but nothing about e-filing.  Doesn't the IRS want the 1099s?  Then how do I attach them?  Is the info. supposed to go on a different tax form that gets submitted?  I'm sure the answer is simple and straightforward, and I hope the wisdom on this forum can help.  Thanks for helping a noob out.

Apples

• Handlebar Stache
Re: free fillable forms - what forms need attached?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2017, 08:55:48 AM »
Annnnd just read the line on Step 2 that says: 

"If you have any other types of 1099 forms (SSA-1099, 1099-G, 1099-MISC, etc.), they do not need to be added.  Instead, you'll need to add the amounts from them to the corresponding lines on Form 1040." 

So that solves this mystery.

Cherry Lane

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2017, 04:12:48 PM »
I'm glad you found the answer.  I've used free fillable forms for several years now.  I'm still kicking myself for paying turbotax, etc. for so many years before that.

Also, the IRS already has your 1099s - the various financial institutions send them a copy.

Apples

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2017, 02:15:36 PM »
See, I thought I knew that, but when I googled the question of if 1099's should be attached or where to attach them, I couldn't find anything. at. all. to tell me.  1099-Rs kept coming up, but that was it.  It was driving me nuts, because that's what I thought, but I really wanted to not mess it up, you know?

josh4trunks

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2017, 03:01:47 PM »
I've only ever attached forms that it specifically says to attach in the 1040 (Schedule A, and education/savers/energy credit depending on the year), and my (and my wife's) W-2s.

I work line by line through Free File Fillable Forms, been using it since 2012 when I started working.

Debts_of_Despair

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2017, 03:55:42 PM »
Just found out about free fillable forms this year!  TaxAct tried to pull a fast one by doubling their fee from last year, no thanks.

Apples

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2017, 12:44:26 PM »
Yay for the Free Fillable Forms!  Those of us who use and love them should start a club :p

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2017, 03:13:03 PM »
Yay for the Free Fillable Forms!  Those of us who use and love them should start a club :p

We should! The only roadblock is some people are under the false assumption you have to make under $64k to use them....

terran

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2018, 05:40:34 AM »
Guys, I've just started to do my taxes myself and I guess I will need your help. I still haven't found the perfect option for me. I tried w-2 tax form {some website} and it helped me a lot. But I needed to calculate everything myself and submit it as well. Now I want to find a way for simplifying the whole process.

If you want everything to be easy and no math you should look to Turbotax, Taxact, or H&R Block software among others. Depending on your income, they may even be free.

If you want to go all tax nerd, go with the Free Fillable forms discussed here. You'll still likely be able to file electronically.

Either way, check back at https://www.irs.gov/filing/free-file-do-your-federal-taxes-for-free when tax time rolls around.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2018, 12:30:10 PM by terran »

MDM

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2018, 07:23:04 AM »
It's possible alyssacuevas has a legitimate question, but it's also possible that a first time poster including a link to a commercial web site (and for a W-2 form, not 1040 etc.) isn't really asking for help.... ;)

terran

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2018, 12:31:10 PM »
It's possible alyssacuevas has a legitimate question, but it's also possible that a first time poster including a link to a commercial web site (and for a W-2 form, not 1040 etc.) isn't really asking for help.... ;)

Good point. I've removed the link from the quote in my post.

DS

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2018, 12:33:55 PM »
def spam bot trudging up an old post randomly

DavidAnnArbor

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2018, 07:13:44 AM »
 Sounds like a great and free option for doing the federal tax return