Author Topic: Does the IRS combine previous years taxes owed to the current year when making a  (Read 1199 times)

jaisongomes

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Sorry if the title is confusing, I'm trying to figure out how to correctly word it. My grandma is currently in the process of buying a house and since she owes back taxes that's going to be part of the closing costs.

Now, these raises several questions because they're claiming it is taxes owed from 2015 in the amount of 1027 then from 2017 in the amount owed of 93.52

Now I'm looking at a statement she received in June and it says this in the info:

Taxed you owed: $1,675.00 Payments and Credits: $1,584.00 (I believe this is from her paying 1,000 dollars from a pension when she took the full amount and her 2016 tax refund of $553 plus whatever credits) Failure-to-pay penalty: .91 Interest Charges: .63

After this she made a $43 dollar payment.

So now on her Record of Account it shows this payment and that her Account Balance plus accruals is $50.44

So, yeah...does my grandmother actually owe more than the $50.44?

MDM

• Senior Mustachian
So, yeah...does my grandmother actually owe more than the $50.44?
No idea - but is this an IRS issue or a local property tax issue?

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
Assuming this is property tax issue:
Typically, tax, penalty, and interest owed is tracked and reported by tax year. It is also often paid by tax year. Call the taxing administrator (whoever calculates, sends bills, and collects taxes), and ask for a current statement of tax, interest, and penalties due for all tax years. If you don't understand what is provided, then ask them.

If it's your grandmother who owes back taxes, then that's a very stupid way to lose your house for pennies on the dollar. She needs to get her act together.