Author Topic: did not receive a side gig payment in 2022 - tax implications?  (Read 453 times)

mistymoney

• Handlebar Stache
did not receive a side gig payment in 2022 - tax implications?
« on: December 31, 2022, 01:27:10 PM »
Hi all, so I am definitely not the most tax savvy person around, so would appreciate a few thoughts on this.

Last few years, I've made about 15-20k on my side gig. I have my dayjob take out additional taxes to cover this. Well, unexpectedly, one of my side gig checks did not making it to my account as yet (switched from paper check to ACH payment, so I'm thinking they likely just programmed in the due date on the invoice which is 1st week of Jan, but they were always super quick with the paper checks so I wasn't anticipating this. Always give 30 days on the invoice for payment.

So now my taxable income is going to be about 5k less than anticipated, which now I'm anticipating money back from fed and state. But next year I'm likely going to have a higher taxes for the side gig if all my projects recur and I get the billing for the last one out earlier.

Is there anyway to turn this to my advantage somehow? When the payment comes in in January - I think I can still use that cash to fund my sep-ira. Luckily - I had some expenses for the sidebiz that I've put off so will have some more to deduct in 23.

Anything esle I can do to mitigate the higher taxes in 23? Anything to do now for 2022?

MDM

• Senior Mustachian
Re: did not receive a side gig payment in 2022 - tax implications?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2022, 03:40:26 PM »
So now my taxable income is going to be about 5k less than anticipated...next year I'm likely going to have a higher taxes....
Unless the +/- $5K crosses a tax bracket or other tax boundary, you'll pay the same total tax for "2022 plus 2023" regardless of whether that $5K hits in 2022 or 2023.

Sandi_k

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2022, 04:02:03 PM »
When the payment comes in in January - I think I can still use that cash to fund my sep-ira. Luckily - I had some expenses for the sidebiz that I've put off so will have some more to deduct in 23.

Anything else I can do to mitigate the higher taxes in 23? Anything to do now for 2022?

The SEP-IRA contributions allowed will be based on income RECEIVED by 12/31/2022. So to be clear, you cannot count this delayed income for SEP-IRA purposes for 2022.

You can use the cash to fund a 2022 SEP-IRA, but the contribution amount must be calculated using only that income received.

You can also use the cash to buy equipment and other items needed for the business - the cash outlay counts directly against the 1099 income. New laptop? Monitor? Upgraded internet?

mistymoney

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2022, 06:49:58 PM »
When the payment comes in in January - I think I can still use that cash to fund my sep-ira. Luckily - I had some expenses for the sidebiz that I've put off so will have some more to deduct in 23.

Anything else I can do to mitigate the higher taxes in 23? Anything to do now for 2022?

The SEP-IRA contributions allowed will be based on income RECEIVED by 12/31/2022. So to be clear, you cannot count this delayed income for SEP-IRA purposes for 2022.

You can use the cash to fund a 2022 SEP-IRA, but the contribution amount must be calculated using only that income received.

You can also use the cash to buy equipment and other items needed for the business - the cash outlay counts directly against the 1099 income. New laptop? Monitor? Upgraded internet?

Thanks, yes, I understand my sep-ira will be lower this year now, and then higher for 2023 with this payment coming in January.

I guess all too late for 2022 now.... ;).

Will try again next year.