Author Topic: Credit Karma: Free Federal and State Tax Return  (Read 23653 times)

ThePauperOfNorthLake

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Credit Karma: Free Federal and State Tax Return
« on: January 05, 2017, 06:41:02 PM »
https://www.creditkarma.com/tax

Has anyone tried it yet? Ive used TurboTax the past few years mostly out of convenience.

geekette

• Magnum Stache
Re: Credit Karma: Free Federal and State Tax Return
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2017, 06:44:40 PM »
Can't try it yet because it's not yet available.  You can get on their list, though.

tarheeldan

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2017, 07:30:02 PM »
I'm on the list, excited to try it when it's out!

stepitup

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2017, 10:55:37 PM »
I encourage someone who uses it to post a review. I'm considering using it for mine after I receive all my forms.

Dave1442397

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2017, 07:09:11 AM »
I'm going to try it too. I'll probably also run through my return on TurboTax just because they have all my info there already.

GrumpyPenguin

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2017, 07:52:55 AM »
Curious if this is any good, but I'd be reluctant.  I use Credit Karma, and so they already have my credit info.  Since you don't pay anything for it, and it's not some open source project, obviously you're the product... so I'd be concerned about given them all of my other financial/income info. 

tarheeldan

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2017, 11:21:21 AM »
I just checked, Credit Karma Tax is up and running! I don't have all my 1099s etc, but I'll update here as I go through the process.

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2017, 11:47:53 AM »
I just checked, Credit Karma Tax is up and running! I don't have all my 1099s etc, but I'll update here as I go through the process.

It still tells me "You're on the list" but I cannot start doing them.

tarheeldan

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2017, 12:10:18 PM »

That's weird, I just opened an Incognito tab in Chrome and it offers Karma Tax to everyone right on the home page. Maybe Ctrl+F5?

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2017, 12:12:10 PM »

That's weird, I just opened an Incognito tab in Chrome and it offers Karma Tax to everyone right on the home page. Maybe Ctrl+F5?

They've been advertising it for a few weeks now. If you try to start though, it will put you on a waiting list.

tarheeldan

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2017, 12:14:17 PM »
No, I was able to start my return with Karma Tax - put in my basic info, signed the consent to send info the IRS, and I'll do my W-2 when I get home. Can't do 1099's until they're out though :/

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2017, 12:20:02 PM »
No, I was able to start my return with Karma Tax - put in my basic info, signed the consent to send info the IRS, and I'll do my W-2 when I get home. Can't do 1099's until they're out though :/

wow, that's weird.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2017, 12:17:19 PM »
i'm stoked about this. paid 200 to turbo tax last year b/c i needed a schedule C

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2017, 12:47:19 PM »
I'm interested too.  It'll only save me $15, I usually use TaxAct and they autofill almost everything.  I may try filling out returns on both just to see how they match up, on TaxAct I don't think you have to pay until you hit certain items like special forms or printing/filing the return.  I won't likely do it until April so don't rely on me for a review anytime soon!

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2017, 07:42:17 AM »
Will it handle a Schedule C for my side-gig income?

tarheeldan

• Pencil Stache

kudy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2017, 08:20:38 AM »
I got "in" a few days ago.

I don't have all of my tax docs yet, but I did start entering numbers. So far, it's a really straightforward platform that I am finding very easy to use. It has Schedule C and every other possible type of income listed on the "Income" tab (I haven't started the Schedule C section yet, still waiting on 1099's).

I also haven't gotten to the end yet, I half expect some sort of upsell based on the complexity of my return, but if it truly is 100% free I may use it to file my taxes this year. Otherwise, I will go back to Free Tax USA and pay them a few dollars for the state return and audit protection.

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2017, 09:34:36 AM »
I filled everything out with Turbotax and Credit Karma and my refunds look very different between the two.

Can anyone else compare Credit Karma against Turbotax/TaxAct/etc to see if it's just me? The more data points, the merrier =)

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2017, 09:59:29 AM »
I filled everything out with Turbotax and Credit Karma and my refunds look very different between the two.

Can anyone else compare Credit Karma against Turbotax/TaxAct/etc to see if it's just me? The more data points, the merrier =)

Can you give some more detail? Which has more tax, what's the difference, are you just W-2, or what 1099s will you have, do you have side-gig/business income?

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2017, 10:06:58 AM »

Can you give some more detail? Which has more tax, what's the difference, are you just W-2, or what 1099s will you have, do you have side-gig/business income?

Yes please provide more information.

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2017, 10:12:25 AM »
Turbo Tax is giving me $1930 Federal back, and $3687 state back.
Credit Karma is saying I OWE $548 Fed, and get $3544 back from state.

I am 100% W-2 employee with $1310 of 1099-INT's from bank bonus sign ups.

One thing I noticed about TT is it took into account last year's state refund and counted it against this year's Fed refund. (my only itemized deduction on Fed last year was my state tax). This further skews things because it should technically lower my federal refund but TT is still giving me back way more than what CK is saying I owe.

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2017, 10:18:22 AM »
I figured it out, despite having selected "Use itemized deduction" on CK form, it still autofilled the standard deduction.

Something to look at when you do your own taxes.

My refund with TT is still $195 higher AND they are taking into account last year's NYS tax refund, which CK is not.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2017, 10:20:07 AM by 2Birds1Stone »

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2017, 10:27:28 AM »
I figured it out, despite having selected "Use itemized deduction" on CK form, it still autofilled the standard deduction.

My refund with TT is still $195 higher AND they are taking into account last year's NYS tax refund, which CK is not.

I would shoot an email to Credit Karma

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2017, 04:34:55 PM »

That's ridiculous, it should automatically choose the option with the lowest tax!  What's next, the "voluntarily overpay by $2k" option?

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2017, 04:53:23 PM »
First year they've done it completely free service.

maizefolk

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2017, 05:01:20 PM »
Well they support K-1s. I'm kind of tempted to give this a shot.

CareCPA

• Bristles
    • Care CPA - Tax, Accounting and Payroll
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2017, 05:51:39 PM »
I may be biased, but my advice for using CK is the same as for any other tax prep software: if you don't know what the answer should be when you're finished, you might want to reconsider doing your own taxes. Completely relying on software for anything can end up badly.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2017, 02:35:37 AM »

It's not free, it costs hundreds in lost refunds

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2017, 04:05:38 AM »

It's not free, it costs hundreds in lost refunds

I'm saying if you cross check k with turbo. But as stated above you should've able to calculate what your refund is pretty easily on your own then just use software to fill in the paperwork

kudy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2017, 09:45:05 AM »
I tried to do a Schedule C for my freelance work on the CK app last night, and as far as I can tell it was calculating my total profit incorrectly. I also couldn't find a place anywhere to add my SEP IRA contributions.

dhc

• Stubble
« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2017, 08:54:15 PM »
I've also started entering the easy stuff to try it out.

Positive: almost everything seems to have a "tax form" view that closely mirrors the actual form in both layout and wording. Much better than "interview" style in my opinion. State taxes with free e-file will be wonderful (my state has a clunky fillable PDF-based system that's free, but I tend to spend more time on that portion of our taxes just fighting the forms than I do actually calculating taxes, which is my least favorite part of the whole process).

Negative: it's super buggy so far. For filing jointly, the many places where it asks who xyz form is for don't seem to stick consistently, and if you edit things it goes back to default values. Some fields that should auto-fill (for instance, SSN based on whose form it is) do occasionally but not consistently in "tax form" view.

Luckily my plan was always going to be to fill out both this and FreeTaxUSA to compare, perhaps with an additional hand-calculated copy just for my sanity.

Drifterrider

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2017, 11:57:45 AM »
So, are you guys downloading an application to your computer or are your storing your information on someone else's "cloud"?

I always file free, I've never been able to file electronically for free (fed.  my state has its own database).

NathanP

• Stubble
« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2017, 07:26:34 PM »
I ran into the issue (mentioned above) of Credit Karma automatically choosing the smaller standard deduction. I selected the "use itemized" value and it corrected itself.

My one remaining issue is that in the "Other Income" tab, it is showing $6750, which appears to come from Box 12, code W from my W2. I did place $6750 into my HSA for the year, but that is tax free. When I enter the "Other Income" tab, all values are zeroed! If this doesn't correct itself in a day or two, I will email them.

I looked over the final forms and everything looks similar to last years filing.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2017, 07:46:30 PM »
Admittedly this is WAY early in the tax cycle for most people.

catccc

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2017, 08:23:02 PM »
I may be biased, but my advice for using CK is the same as for any other tax prep software: if you don't know what the answer should be when you're finished, you might want to reconsider doing your own taxes. Completely relying on software for anything can end up badly.

This.  But I'm another CPA.  I do think that if you started out doing your own taxes and understood how it worked (maybe when working part time as a teen) you can gradually learn all the ins and outs of what you have going on with your return.  At least learn the basic math behind it all and you can easily ballpark what the outcome should be.  Income - adjustments - exemptions -deductions = taxable income, then do the math or look at a tax table to figure taxes.  Taxes - credits - withholding - estimated payments if any = bottom line, what you owe or get back.  If you have income treated specially (i.e. qualified dividends or LT capital gains) just keep them out of the first calculation, then add those taxes at the advantageous rates to what you calculated or got from the tax table.  Okay, so I may have over simplified, but this is the basics...

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #35 on: January 24, 2017, 04:34:00 AM »

This.  But I'm another CPA.  I do think that if you started out doing your own taxes and understood how it worked (maybe when working part time as a teen) you can gradually learn all the ins and outs of what you have going on with your return.  At least learn the basic math behind it all and you can easily ballpark what the outcome should be.  Income - adjustments - exemptions -deductions = taxable income, then do the math or look at a tax table to figure taxes.  Taxes - credits - withholding - estimated payments if any = bottom line, what you owe or get back.  If you have income treated specially (i.e. qualified dividends or LT capital gains) just keep them out of the first calculation, then add those taxes at the advantageous rates to what you calculated or got from the tax table.  Okay, so I may have over simplified, but this is the basics...

Not a CPA. Don't even play one on TV.

Historically I have filled out in software, then gone through the calculations in "form view"* as a sanity check. I have had to brute force some stuff that was missed more than once (and have only used the "big names" of TurboTax and HRBlock/TaxCut.) I also go read the IRS guidance.

*Or whatever they call it when you dump out of the interview and look at the forms themselves.

NathanP

• Stubble
« Reply #36 on: January 24, 2017, 07:15:12 AM »
I ran into the issue (mentioned above) of Credit Karma automatically choosing the smaller standard deduction. I selected the "use itemized" value and it corrected itself.

My one remaining issue is that in the "Other Income" tab, it is showing $6750, which appears to come from Box 12, code W from my W2. I did place $6750 into my HSA for the year, but that is tax free. When I enter the "Other Income" tab, all values are zeroed! If this doesn't correct itself in a day or two, I will email them.

I looked over the final forms and everything looks similar to last years filing.

I revisited my tax return today and was able to correct the HSA problem. On the Deductions page, I needed to visit the health care section and tick the boxes indicating that I had coverage for the full year. This change removed my HSA contribution from the "Other Income" section on the Income page. With this correction my return now matches the one I completed using H&R Block's site. I reviewed the IRS forms and everything looks ready to submit. I will wait a week for my state to begin accepting returns so that I can file both federal and state at the same time.

Keep in mind that my tax return is not complicated: married filing jointly, W2 income, itemized deductions for mortgage, state tax, property tax and charitable. I have a small amount of dividends in a taxable account.

catccc

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #37 on: January 24, 2017, 09:29:32 AM »

Not a CPA. Don't even play one on TV.

Historically I have filled out in software, then gone through the calculations in "form view"* as a sanity check. I have had to brute force some stuff that was missed more than once (and have only used the "big names" of TurboTax and HRBlock/TaxCut.) I also go read the IRS guidance.

*Or whatever they call it when you dump out of the interview and look at the forms themselves.

Emphasis mine... yes!  The rules are all out there.  Not the most fun reading, but it's got what you need to know.  Most of the time.  I actually do my returns manually because I hate the interview interface and just want to drop the numbers into the forms.

Nothlit

• Bristles
« Reply #38 on: January 24, 2017, 12:06:37 PM »

I revisited my tax return today and was able to correct the HSA problem. On the Deductions page, I needed to visit the health care section and tick the boxes indicating that I had coverage for the full year. This change removed my HSA contribution from the "Other Income" section on the Income page. With this correction my return now matches the one I completed using H&R Block's site. I reviewed the IRS forms and everything looks ready to submit. I will wait a week for my state to begin accepting returns so that I can file both federal and state at the same time.

Keep in mind that my tax return is not complicated: married filing jointly, W2 income, itemized deductions for mortgage, state tax, property tax and charitable. I have a small amount of dividends in a taxable account.

I had the same (brief) confusion regarding box 12 HSA contributions. They should make it more clear where that "other income" is coming from. Hopefully the final review step would warn a user who entered box 12 HSA $ and didn't fill out the healthcare section.

For being their first year, I'm impressed that they're offering federal and all the states. I would have expected them to start with just federal and maybe add states in a year or two. Their implementation is definitely still a little rough around the edges. I plan on double checking everything. They're not letting me fill out Massachusetts forms yet, so I'll have to check back in a couple of weeks for that.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #39 on: January 26, 2017, 12:19:48 PM »
will this allow for 2 different states.  it doesnt appear to work for that.

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #40 on: January 27, 2017, 10:12:42 AM »
So, are you guys downloading an application to your computer or are your storing your information on someone else's "cloud"?

I always file free, I've never been able to file electronically for free (fed.  my state has its own database).

Yes you have. You just didn't realize it.

https://www.irs.gov/uac/free-file-do-your-federal-taxes-for-free

Do not get confused. Having an income below $64k IS NOT a requirement to electronically file your federal returns for free. But if you do have an income below $64k, you get to use the tax software offering (like the offering of CK, TT, etc.).

With an income above $64k you can still use the Free File Fillable Forms. You're literally just filling out the tax forms digitally - it has no questionnaire and doesn't help you figure out your taxes (other than doing the very simple math on the form - such as Income is the sum of lines 7 through 21).

Nothlit

• Bristles
« Reply #41 on: February 04, 2017, 03:55:10 PM »
Update on my Credit Karma experience.

They do not appear to fully support Massachusetts Schedule B, which is necessary to deduct state-tax-exempt interest (like federal savings bonds, which I sold a few of last year). I've sent them an email to see what's up, but am thinking I will have to file elsewhere if they can't fix this problem.

yachi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #42 on: February 04, 2017, 05:56:37 PM »
I'm posting specifically because I saw another Pennsylvania mustachian.  Do not use CreditKarma for Pennsylvania taxes.  They over-inflate your wages by adding your retirement contributions to your Social security wages!

401(k) contributions aren't deductible in Pennsylvania, which is why they're trying to add them to wages, but they're pulling the wrong wage box from the W-2.

Here's my Turbotax to CreditKarma comparison:

Federal:
$483 Turbotax
$520 CreditKarma
State:
$420 Turbotax
$905 CreditKarma

I can't guarantee the CreditKarma federal return is fine tuned because I lost faith after finding the problem with state taxes.

prettypaperwork

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #43 on: February 04, 2017, 06:18:26 PM »
I have used H & R Block online in the past.  I used Credit Karma for 2016 tax returns.  I tested CK against H & R results and both had the same refund amounts for fed and state (CA).  I only had W-2 income and a few 1099-Rs (a rollover 401k and a Roth IRA to tIRA recharacterization).Nothing too fancy.

fifh

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #44 on: February 05, 2017, 10:29:23 AM »
Appears I was too quick to file with CK. Based on this thread, compared my TT return to CK: TT is ~$600 more than CK.

Happy to pay TT the $100+ for the better return. If you have the time, its worth comparing different offerings before pulling the trigger. In this case with CK being a brand-new offering, likely a lot of wrinkles to iron out.

Silver-lining: haven't filed amended Federal and State Tax Returns before. Look forward to learning about the process ;)

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #45 on: February 05, 2017, 10:38:32 AM »

HUGE Caveat:  I have no dealings with Credit Karma ever.  None.  Zilch.  I'm totally speaking out of my butt on this.  But... something always gave me the icky willies from them.  They have enormous advertising budget and offer nothing but free services.  I'm not buying it.

They are probably not going to steal your identity, swindle your life savings and steal your cat.  In fact, they're probably just fine.  But... something seems sleazy.  I can't put my finger on it.  But it's enough that I'd never give them my personal information -- and I especially wouldn't trust them to handle my taxes.

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #46 on: February 05, 2017, 12:54:57 PM »

HUGE Caveat:  I have no dealings with Credit Karma ever.  None.  Zilch.  I'm totally speaking out of my butt on this.  But... something always gave me the icky willies from them.  They have enormous advertising budget and offer nothing but free services.  I'm not buying it.

They are probably not going to steal your identity, swindle your life savings and steal your cat.  In fact, they're probably just fine.  But... something seems sleazy.  I can't put my finger on it.  But it's enough that I'd never give them my personal information -- and I especially wouldn't trust them to handle my taxes.

They definitely share information with their affiliates. I didn't try to find a lsit of affiliates
Affiliates: We may share certain information with our affiliated companies, such as Credit Karma, to help us provide our Services and manage your account.

I wouldn't say this is sleezy, but CK doesn't help you with Audits unlike TurboTax and H&R Block.

3.3 Credit Karma Tax Does Not Audit You or Help you with Audits

It is your responsibility to provide Credit Karma Tax with complete and accurate information. Our Services do not include any audit, tax planning, or tax structuring services. Filing your income taxes may involve taking certain tax-reporting positions and you are solely responsible for the positions contained in your tax returns. You understand that taking aggressive tax-reporting positions may increase your risk of audit. Credit Karma Tax cannot assist you with any audits.

TL;DR:

We don't provide tax structuring advice. Depending on the choices you make in preparing your income tax returns and the positions you take in your income tax returns, you may be more or less likely to be audited. We can’t help you with audits.
(No seriously - CK has TL;DR's in their ToS)
https://www.creditkarma.com/tax/terms

Our TurboTax Audit Support Guarantee gives you free audit guidance from a trained tax professional to help you understand your IRS notice and answer all your audit-related questions.

This Guarantee covers all 2014, 2015, and 2016 federal and state returns prepared in TurboTax Basic, Deluxe, Premier, Home & Business, Self-Employed, Free Edition, and Freedom Edition.

You get:
  • One-on-one audit guidance from an experienced tax professional;
  • Year-round answers to your audit questions; and
  • Assistance with what to expect and how to prepare for the audit
https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901504-what-is-the-turbotax-audit-support-guarantee

File your taxes confidently knowing H&R Block is behind you every step of the way. We include Free In-person Audit Support with H&R Block Basic, Deluxe, Premium, and Premium & Business desktop software. This means that in the unlikely event of an audit, an H&R Block Enrolled Agent will help you manage the process by:

• IRS Correspondence Management - H&R Block will assist with notices that are initiated by the IRS or State Department of Revenue(s).
  • Audit Preparation - H&R Block will provide detailed information regarding how to prepare for an audit, and extend an offer for an H&R Block Enrolled Agent to represent you in the event of an audit
  • Audit Representation - An H&R Block Enrolled Agent guides you through what to expect during the audit, attends the audit with you and helps you manage the entire audit experience
https://www.hrblock.com/online-tax-filing/guarantees/worry-free-audit-support.html

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #47 on: February 05, 2017, 01:28:00 PM »
Do they have any guarantee of "correctness"?  I.e., something like Turbotax's "100% Accuracy Guarantee".

Audit help is nice...  I mostly want it to be "right".  If it is "right" then I think I'm less likely to be audited and the audit will be a non-event.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #48 on: February 06, 2017, 05:27:46 PM »
Just a reminder that you can file an amended return if CK messed something up for $$$

SpareChange

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #49 on: February 09, 2017, 10:21:35 AM »
Does CK not let you claim the FTC? I just tried to file and can't find a way to do it.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!