Author Topic: Buying IBonds with refund in FreetaxUSA  (Read 1636 times)

feelingroovy

• Bristles
Buying IBonds with refund in FreetaxUSA
« on: April 14, 2022, 07:55:10 PM »
I've used FreeTaxUSA for years and find it pretty simple.

This year I will have a refund for the first time in many years and I want to use it to buy I bonds.

Has anyone successfully done this? Or found it impossible? I cannot figure out how. Software help and Google are not giving me anything.

We have a pretty complicated return and I'd rather not start over.

jpdx

• Pencil Stache
Re: Buying IBonds with refund in FreetaxUSA
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2022, 12:59:10 PM »
Be aware that you will receive paper bonds in multiple denominations. Others on here have reported it can wind up being a half-dozen bonds which is a real hassle if you want to convert them to electronic form.

Nothlit

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2022, 09:22:42 AM »
I'm sure OP has long since moved on, but for the future benefit of others: as of this writing, FreeTaxUSA does not support Form 8888 Part II, so you cannot allocate your refund to Series I paper bonds using that particular software provider.

jnw

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2022, 01:50:28 PM »
Be aware that you will receive paper bonds in multiple denominations. Others on here have reported it can wind up being a half-dozen bonds which is a real hassle if you want to convert them to electronic form.

Side question: Just curious why is it a hassle? What if I buy one Series I Savings Bond, directly from TreasuryDirect.gov, each month at $833.33?  Ending up with 12 I-bonds that total $10k. Is it a problem having multiple smaller I-bonds?  Or is the problem just related to the hassle of converting many small paper I-bonds to electronic?
« Last Edit: May 23, 2022, 01:54:03 PM by JenniferW »

Queen Frugal

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2022, 01:56:41 PM »
Converting the small paper bonds into electronic bonds is the PITA part.  What you're doing is fine.