Author Topic: Backdoor Roth Mistakes, how to correct?  (Read 1785 times)

chasethechief77

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Backdoor Roth Mistakes, how to correct?
« on: February 20, 2017, 08:06:59 AM »
Got Married this year, so neither of us qualifies (income constraint) to directly deposit into a roth IRA

one of us (sigh...) deposited directly into a roth instead of executing a back door roth..... I know we can re-characterize that deposit from a roth into a traditional IRA, and that this is normal corrective action when one overdeposits, etc, etc

... however it seems to me that we can no longer complete a backdoor roth as the re-characterization form states that you cant convert (perform a backdoor roth) in the same year as a re-characterization..... So my question is this:  Now that the mistake is made what is our best course of action?

-do we invest the money in the traditional IRA?  then convert to a roth next year and pay taxes on the gain?
-do we not invest the money in the traditional IRA?
-is there some backdoor conversion im not aware of that can still be done this tax year?
-anything else im not thinking of?

thanks!
-

Nothlit

• Bristles
Re: Backdoor Roth Mistakes, how to correct?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2017, 06:59:04 PM »
My understanding is there's a waiting period to reconvert a recharacterized conversion, but not to convert a recharacterized contribution. See the difference?

In other words, you can't do (without waiting): Traditional IRA contribition -> convert to Roth IRA -> recharacterize back to Traditional IRA -> reconvert back to Roth IRA.

But you can do Roth IRA contribution -> recharacterize to Traditional IRA -> convert back to Roth IRA.

However, I will admit this is not exactly the easiest thing in the world to parse, so I could be wrong. Here's someone who agrees with me: https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=159069

hashbrowns

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2017, 10:54:37 PM »
I rolled a 401k over to a Roth in 2015, and while doing my taxes have discovered that I'm getting tagged for that. I was completely ignorant to the fact that it would be taxed. I'm looking into my options right now, but it doesn't seem that great. The one saving grace is that I have educational credits to reduce what I owe.

I'll be watching this thread for advice. Sorry I can't help more, and sorry for the misfortune, I hope it turns out better than worse for you.

chasethechief77

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2017, 08:28:34 AM »
thanks Nothlit, you've made my day!

hashbrowns, sounds like you should seriously consider recharacterizing to a traditional IRA to avoid the tax. 

hashbrowns

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2017, 10:23:03 AM »
I've already paid taxes on it, and I've spent nearly all of it on ETFs. I don't know if I can. This was a big ol knife in my mustache.

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2017, 11:56:14 PM »
I've already paid taxes on it, and I've spent nearly all of it on ETFs. I don't know if I can. This was a big ol knife in my mustache.

It is, sadly, too late to undo this. Recharacterizations can only be done up to the tax filing deadline (with extensions if filed).

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!