Author Topic: No 1099  (Read 873 times)

jehovasfitness23

• Bristles
No 1099
« on: March 05, 2021, 01:22:25 PM »
I have a client that normally sends me a 1099. Sometimes it's 2 separate 1099s from separate accounts/companies.

I know what they paid me in 2020 but so far no 1099 after hounding them. Is it wise to file my taxes with the total amount even though it would be listed as 1 1099 from one of his companies, when in reality it may end up filed on their end as 2 separate companies, thus 2 separate 1099s.

Not sure if I'm explaining that clearly, but i'd like to file my taxes (I'm owed) but I'm not sure how his companies will split the 1099 info while I know the total.

MDM

• Senior Mustachian

jehovasfitness23

• Bristles
Re: No 1099
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2021, 01:55:46 PM »
What a PITA lol, thanks

terran

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2021, 10:27:37 PM »
There's no need for a 1099 to claim business income. Businesses that work for consumers, not other businesses, do it all the time. Just include the amount you received in your gross receipts on your Schedule C. MDMs link is about a missing 1099-R. If this is for client work you're talking about a 1099-MISC. 
« Last Edit: March 05, 2021, 10:29:58 PM by terran »

Proud Foot

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2021, 03:41:27 PM »
The IRS split what was formerly the 1099-MISC into 1099-MISC and 1099-NEC. While the company should have still gotten the information out I know there were several accounting systems that did not get this change programmed into an update so the companies were unable to print a 1099-NEC. I would guess this is the case as your comments appear to me that you should have received a 1099-NEC.

jehovasfitness23

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2021, 06:15:36 AM »
There's no need for a 1099 to claim business income. Businesses that work for consumers, not other businesses, do it all the time. Just include the amount you received in your gross receipts on your Schedule C. MDMs link is about a missing 1099-R. If this is for client work you're talking about a 1099-MISC.

just so we're clear.

my client paid me over the year from 3 separate accounts/companies

I did not get the 1099nec from them.

If I have the amounts of all checks I can just list them on TurboTax under "other income" for schedule C?

that seems to be what TurboTax suggests. But I'm still worried it may get flagged if no directly inputing the info from their end of 1099nec

terran

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2021, 09:32:31 AM »
I'm not familiar with Turbotax, but yes, that sounds right. As long as it ends up on line 1 (Gross receipts or sales) of your Schedule C you're good.

Much Fishing to Do

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2021, 03:05:35 PM »
So I've frankly found it easier to just file an extension every year and in Sept check my tax wage & income transcript to see what exactly the IRS got, and then file.  Like one year an online wager site had provided the IRS with multiple w-2gs for horse race winnings of like $12 (yes, twelve dollars) each that I obviously hadn't even thought about give it was so small, and they never sent me a copy (I have no doubt I was supposed to like download them online, but again, who would have thought to look after winning $12...)

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
    • Age of Eon - Overwatch player videos
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2021, 04:01:32 PM »
So I've frankly found it easier to just file an extension every year and in Sept check my tax wage & income transcript to see what exactly the IRS got, and then file.  Like one year an online wager site had provided the IRS with multiple w-2gs for horse race winnings of like $12 (yes, twelve dollars) each that I obviously hadn't even thought about give it was so small, and they never sent me a copy (I have no doubt I was supposed to like download them online, but again, who would have thought to look after winning $12...)

That works as long as you're getting a refund.  An extension to file is not an extension to pay.

Much Fishing to Do

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2021, 06:23:44 AM »

That works as long as you're getting a refund.  An extension to file is not an extension to pay.

I make a payment with my extension if I think one is due (I do my taxes in Turbotax in March to see what I owe, I just dont file it until Oct.)  There's not gonna be anything shocking one doesn't expect in the transcript I would think, so underpayment and any related interest would be tiny if any.

jehovasfitness23

• Bristles
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2021, 10:23:56 AM »

So I did this curious about 2019 and I don't even see my 1099 on that one, odd. Nor 2018 even tho they sent me 1099s those years, they're not showing on my IRS record. Not till 2017 one.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2021, 10:34:55 AM by jehovasfitness23 »