Author Topic: 1st Post: In a company Roth 401k plan, can I switch to trad. 401k?  (Read 1540 times)

MaxPowers

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Long time listener, first time caller.

I have a company matched 401k plan...both roth and trad available. I've been participating for the last 6 years under the roth with about 35k invested. After lots of reading through the site, I now understand the benefits of the trad 401k much better and realize it as a much better vehicle for my goals ( similar to everyone's goals here ).

I assume I can't just convert my paid taxes roth account into a pre-tax 401k plan with my company. So can i stop my contributions to the roth plan and start a new trad 401k plan and direct company matches into the new plan?

If so, what happens to the existing roth 401k value? Does it just sit and grow, or does it need to be moved?

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
  • Pronouns: he/him/his
Re: 1st Post: In a company Roth 401k plan, can I switch to trad. 401k?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2015, 04:03:17 PM »
Most places let you contribute to Roth or Traditional or both however you see fit with your employee deferrals.  All employer match goes into traditional.

If you switch, the Roth money can sit and grow.  Some plans allow in-service rollovers.  If so, and you'd prefer this, you might be able to roll over to a Roth IRA of your choice.  If you are happy with the funds in your 401K, you could always just leave it there.

seattlecyclone

• Walrus Stache
    • My blog
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2015, 04:23:22 PM »
Generally you don't need to "start a new traditional 401(k) account." You just need to go into the site, find the place where you say "I want to put x% of my salary into Roth" and change that to "I want to put x% of my salary into traditional." The Roth and traditional investments should show up in the same place, same account login, etc.

MaxPowers

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2015, 02:38:25 PM »
Thanks guys, it really was that simple to make the change. Left the Roth 401k as is there and switched my contributions over to trad. 401k. Changes will be in effect next paycheck.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!