Author Topic: ~$100k in one quarter  (Read 2267 times)

RWD

• Walrus Stache
~$100k in one quarter
« on: March 29, 2019, 07:41:50 PM »
I was running through our numbers today and it appears our net worth is up nearly $100k this quarter. Uh, what? I guess the stock market was good? I didn't think it was that good though... This quarter wasn't exactly frugal for us either.

I just can't wrap my head around this. Our first $100k took 1.5 years (starting from when we crossed $0 net worth). Now $100k in 0.25 years.

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
Re: ~$100k in one quarter
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2019, 08:46:28 AM »
Yeah remember there was a massive dump over Christmas. So over 6 months it is probably closer to flat.

The market giveth, the market taketh away occasionally in massive "no everything is crap" moments.

If you invested new money in January though, hurrah.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2019, 10:26:41 AM »
Yeah remember there was a massive dump over Christmas. So over 6 months it is probably closer to flat.

The market giveth, the market taketh away occasionally in massive "no everything is crap" moments.

Oh yes, absolutely, we took a $30k hit in December. Our six month increase in net worth was more like $65k. We did also invest new money in January (Roth IRA + some taxable), but it wasn't until mid-month so we missed the best moment.

I am more marveling at the amplitude of fluctuation than our actual gains. The net worth increase exceeded our gross income for the same period by more than double.

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2019, 10:58:04 AM »
Same here (and I restarted work in January after a year and a bit off).

Let's see.. well, the thing particularly for me is I'm now measuring only in GBP, which is fluctuating like crazy because of Brexshit. But anyway. I think it was worse if you measure in CAD.

My peak was August last year, and I dropped... oh, apparently 7% to January. This is based on everything on the first of the month, total net worth including everything. Half a year's income, a little more than that. Or um one and a half year's FIRE spending, nearly.

Yeah, sitting there and going, oh, I lost a month's wages today. Hm. It is quite surreal.

Bloop Bloop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2019, 11:32:36 PM »
Well done. Gotta celebrate those milestones!

Retireatee1

• Stubble
    • Retireator.org
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2019, 07:48:17 AM »
That 2018 4th quarter was rough.  I'm made most of it back this year fortunately.

Dancin'Dog

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2019, 06:07:05 AM »

Car shopping time?  ;)

Have you been on any test rides worth describing on your car thread? 

Oh yes, absolutely, we took a $30k hit in December. Our six month increase in net worth was more like $65k. We did also invest new money in January (Roth IRA + some taxable), but it wasn't until mid-month so we missed the best moment.

I am more marveling at the amplitude of fluctuation than our actual gains. The net worth increase exceeded our gross income for the same period by more than double.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2019, 06:30:25 AM »

Car shopping time?  ;)

Have you been on any test rides worth describing on your car thread? 

I have not test driven anything since early 2015. Only very casual window shopping.

DadJokes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2019, 07:07:05 AM »

When separating contributions from gains, our investments saw gains of over 16% across the last three months. The previous three months were actually worse, losing almost 20%. Even the losses can be fun to watch when you know that you are in it for the long haul.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!