Author Topic: You'll love what I did today!  (Read 2571 times)

FinallyWakingUp

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
You'll love what I did today!
« on: December 22, 2014, 06:01:02 PM »
Happy holidays to all!
Today I had to participate in our company Yankee Swap Holiday gift exchange. For the uninitiated that's where everyone brings a gift and then all participants draw a number. Whomever draws #1 picks 1st and then also picks last. Each subsequent participant then picks their gift and can either keep it or swap it for any gift previously selected by someone else and so on until everyone has chosen once. Since person 1 had no previous gift to swap with they also get to pick last which is best since they can choose any gift previously opened.

Our price limit was $50, which is pretty generous and un-mustacian for sure. I bought a $50 bottle of wine from the liquor store my brother-in-law manages. When it came time for me to select (14th out of 27) I selected the bottle I bought since I liked it better than any previously opened gift (wooden salad bowls, socket set, assorted do-dads and other types of liquor). Well, no-one ended swapping me for my gift so I was pretty happy to end up with a high end bottle of wine (2010 vintage) until it hit me! I would NEVER spend $50 on a single bottle of wine and I still have the receipt AND my brother-in-law runs the store....I'm going to return it for my $50 back!
Which is exactly what I did. Yankee Swap cost me NADA....and the Grinche's mustache grew 3 sizes that day.

Longwaytogo

Re: You'll love what I did today!
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2014, 06:22:37 PM »
Classic! I have tried getting my own gift at things like that before and it's never worked out.

My wife has been doing that type of gift exchange with her Bunko group (12 women that play this dice game once a month). They only do a $20 spend but every year half the people would buy absolute shit (like $5 or less, re-gifts, even used items). This year my mother in-law suggested they all buy a $20 toy for various age/gender children and donate to the local children s hospital where one of the women is a nurse. Thought it was a great idea! Worked out much nicer without the hard feelings/drama of the last couple years.

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
  • Expat Brit living in the New World..:)
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2014, 11:01:37 PM »
Damn you rock.. hahahah.

Now if it was me, I'd be looking for an empty expensive bottle and pouring "2 buck shuck" into it...:)

Frank

KeeKat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2014, 10:13:41 AM »
That's awesome!

For our department-forced Secret Santa this year, we were told to list the top 3 things we'd like to receive. The limit was $35 (a pretty large $ amount for co-workers, but I digress). A few of us put down just gift cards, so we essentially swapped $35, but thankfully didn't lose any value. It's as close to a win as I could get, but you did way better!