Author Topic: X-Mas/ Year end bonus... How did you do?  (Read 25349 times)

xclonexclonex

• Stubble
Re: X-Mas/ Year end bonus... How did you do?
« Reply #50 on: January 06, 2015, 03:23:13 PM »
I got about $5000 and about $2000 in 401(k) and I got a $3000 raise.

$5000 went into savings for a house down payment.

thepokercab

• Bristles
« Reply #51 on: January 06, 2015, 03:55:44 PM »
$25K. It was a good year. Uncle Sam took a decent chunk though.  I used some to top off the wife's IRA, and the rest went into our down payment fund which is basically just a savings account- We're looking to buy our first home at the end of 2015 so I figured i'd keep it out of the market. 

I did splurge and buy a new $70 pair of running shoes though.   

irishbear99

• Bristles
« Reply #52 on: January 06, 2015, 04:02:43 PM »
Bonuses in my organization are capped at 1% of salary. Thankfully, my supervisor put in for a raise to the next pay step as a performance award instead of the bonus, which comes out to ~4%. Plus Congress mandated a 1% COL raise, so I'm looking at about a 5% increase of salary. It's going into my TSP, which will be maxed out for the first time ever this year.

rocksinmyhead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #53 on: January 06, 2015, 04:29:58 PM »
We get ours on Valentines Day. LOLOL. I actually have NO idea what to expect since oil prices are in the toilet. I feel like I should probably expect nothing, and then I'll either be unsurprised or pleasantly surprised...

This is mrmoneymustache.com, so if you did anything with your bonus other than contribute it to an investment account, you might want to consider punching yourself in the face. ;-)

I can't really relate when people ask what I plan to "do with" certain sums of money. I don't have cash flow problems, so if I want to buy something, I just buy it, without being dependent on waiting for any future income.

Agreed :)

"Bonus"?
What's a "year-end bonus"?  Is that something rich people get for jobs that involve pushing papers around?

Bonuses are a tool that favour employers, not employees, so you should be happy not to get one.

Imagine if your employer withheld half your pay every check, and instead of paying it throughout the year, paid it all in a lump sum at the end of the year. Then further imagine that if your employer was not satisfied with your performance, they could retroactively halve your pay by never paying you out the half they withheld over the course of the year.

Yes, that's what a cash bonus is: a tool whereby an employer defers pay and reserves the right to cancel it entirely. Compensation structures that include a bonus are bad for you as an employee, not good. Bonuses are not magical free money on top of your normal pay; in industries like finance and software engineering, they are a part of your normal compensation structure, but paid on a deferred basis.

I agree that my bonus is a tool that my company can use to withhold some pay that I might otherwise get, but I am ok with that.  I work for a trading firm and they already pay me a good salary for what I do (software dev), and in addition to that I get a bonus which is based on how well the company did and my personal performance.  I think its a great system.  If we have a bad year and they give me no bonus then I'm still getting paid a great salary.  If we have a bad year then the company can choose how much money they can afford to dish out while still staying in business, but if we have a great year then I get a great bonus on top of my already great salary.  I feel like this increases my job stability because they can make decisions about how much they can pay out on a year by year basis instead of being locked into all employees having a higher salary.  Its also fairly motivating because if the firm does well, everyone does well, and we all know that.  I also happen to know how our company performs since I have to work on or troubleshoot our profit/loss webpages once in a while, and past experience has shown that the firm partners are very generous and fair with bonuses.

This is kinda how I feel too. Maybe I'm an idiot?

So we got a new CEO (that took our raise money) and a new VEEP.  The VP really pushed a bonus structure for meeting goals (which is incentive, and better than what we had, which was nothing).  Here's the kicker - the bonus structure/ incentive is ONLY for director level and above, not for manager and below, and WTF do you think the engineers who are actually designing, building, producing, fixing things are doing all day??  I learned about this from my director who told me he'd share his bonus if he got it, since I was essentially doing all the work.

This, on the other hand, is totally shitty and makes no sense. Bummer dude!

driftwood

• Bristles
« Reply #54 on: January 06, 2015, 04:43:10 PM »
I don't get a bonus, but Ido get an incremental raise every calendar year, and a raise every two years I'm in on the anniversary of when I was hired. 

For me that falls in Nov, then I got promoted in Dec, and now in Jan I'll get a small raise.  100% of those three raises are going on my truck loan, then when that's paid off in June, it will go to savings/investments (in addition to the truck payment amount).

Same will happen when we go from 2016-2017, and all of that will go into savings/investments.  Plan on living on my 'lowest' paycheck amount for the rest of my career.

thenextguy

• Stubble
« Reply #55 on: January 06, 2015, 06:17:46 PM »
A membership to the Jelly of the Month club.

driftwood

• Bristles
« Reply #56 on: January 06, 2015, 07:38:54 PM »

That's it! I'm on my way to kidnap your boss!

Will

• Pencil Stache
  • What the deuce?!?!?
« Reply #57 on: January 06, 2015, 07:58:23 PM »
A big ol' goose egg.  Well, that's not true.  At least if they gave me a real goose egg that would be worth a buck or two.  I got nothing!

thenextguy

• Stubble
« Reply #58 on: January 07, 2015, 09:19:41 AM »

That's it! I'm on my way to kidnap your boss!

:)

Giro

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #59 on: January 07, 2015, 12:24:51 PM »
I negotiated a $2k annual bonus when I started.  I recently sent a request to HR to see if they can make that an employer contribution to my 401k instead.  I hate paying half of it in taxes.  The federal government gets as large of a bonus as I do.  :(

StanStasher

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #60 on: January 07, 2015, 01:16:39 PM »
I received a total of $5,000 in bonuses during 2014. Put every last cent toward eliminating my "debt emergency." One more year of hard work and it'll all be gone (the debt, that is).

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #61 on: February 12, 2015, 12:15:14 PM »
Not sure what the bonus will be (paid in March), but it's going towards debt. Just like the tax refund just did.

Scubanewbie

• Stubble
« Reply #62 on: February 12, 2015, 02:17:53 PM »
Not paid out till next month but expecting about $5K pre-tax.  Plus another $18K profit sharing to my retirement account.  The former is a new structure and did totally take the place of larger raises (and therefore I agree that in this case it's accounting tactics to decrease payout).  They traditionally gave us 3% raises (give or take depending on year and performance) and then decided to only give 1% the last two years and make up for it by creating a bonus structure (adding 2% in bonus each year for two years so now at 4%).  Totally SUCKS as obviously the compounding math for future raises shows this decreases total salary over time.

The profit sharing to retirement is nice but this is the last year they're doing that too.  Right now it's 20% of pay.  It will be decreased next year to 15% and then again the following year 10% where it will stay hypothetically.  It royally sucks and has a lot of people considering hopping companies.  It would be different if they were restructuring our total compensation but they're basically just shaving 10% of our pay out and that's after the crappy raises the last two years.  My real in-pocket compensation has taken a real beating compared to where I was 2-3 years ago and not that it's their problem but that was the same time-frame I added our second child so our savings rate has been decreasing over the past few years.  Already done adding to our family so next step is promotion!

As for what I'll do with it, the $18K goes right to retirement (no other choice - not that I'd want one) and the smaller will probably top off the kids 529 plans.  I already have IRAs maxed for the year so this will be a way to put it to good use before I'm tempted to put it towards vacation. :)

Write Thyme

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • I will get there one day.
    • Simple Living. Saving + Frugality. Meal Planning.
« Reply #63 on: February 12, 2015, 02:21:24 PM »
I think I got 5 hours of PTO.

Gone Fishing

• Magnum Stache
  • So Close went fishing on April 1, 2016
    • Journal
« Reply #64 on: February 12, 2015, 03:17:41 PM »
Still waiting.  It takes them a long time to cook the numbers so they pay out less!

cashstasherat23

• Stubble
« Reply #65 on: February 12, 2015, 03:57:44 PM »
Got $2K pre-tax. Will be putting it all towards eliminating one of my student loans! 1 down, 5 to go :)

mandy_2002

• Bristles
« Reply #66 on: February 13, 2015, 11:10:52 AM »
We're informed about and paid our awards in March, but I've gotten numbers for 60% of it, the corporate pieces.  My base is $9100, and I know that I will get $6400 of this (slightly better than 100% performance).  We're now waiting on the personal part and our divisions part.

I will be using the money to buy my discounted employee stock, then sell all of that as soon as possible and put it in my Vanguard account.  Some may be used for my housing move, but I don't foresee any large costs with that.

dunhamjr

• Stubble
  • mustachian in training est. July 14
« Reply #67 on: February 13, 2015, 12:09:17 PM »
no xmas bonus per se, but our year perf bonus arrives on the mid Dec paycheck.

10% of last years salary
but also my company got bought, so our most of our stock/RSU holdings were cashed out.

i ended up paying off about $30k in heloc/student loans

Mississippi Mudstache

• Handlebar Stache
    • A Riving Home - Ramblings of a Recusant Woodworker
« Reply #68 on: February 13, 2015, 12:29:35 PM »
"Bonus"?
What's a "year-end bonus"?  Is that something rich people get for jobs that involve pushing papers around?

Bonuses are a tool that favour employers, not employees, so you should be happy not to get one.

Imagine if your employer withheld half your pay every check, and instead of paying it throughout the year, paid it all in a lump sum at the end of the year. Then further imagine that if your employer was not satisfied with your performance, they could retroactively halve your pay by never paying you out the half they withheld over the course of the year.

Yes, that's what a cash bonus is: a tool whereby an employer defers pay and reserves the right to cancel it entirely. Compensation structures that include a bonus are bad for you as an employee, not good. Bonuses are not magical free money on top of your normal pay; in industries like finance and software engineering, they are a part of your normal compensation structure, but paid on a deferred basis.

Yeah, this is kind of bullshit. In my industry, you can work for the goverment, where you get no bonus and less salary (but significantly more vacation time), or you can work for a corporation that offers a higher salary and a bonus. Plus, there are all sorts of bonuses available: Last year, I earned ~$5500 annual bonus (paid out to all employees based on a formula that includes personal performance, region performance, and company performance). I also got and additional $2500 for special projects that I took on, that were in no way related to the annual bonus that is available to all employees. Then I switched companies, and got a $14,000 signing bonus, $11,000 of which was "netted up for taxes". And since I pay so little income tax, I got $4000 of the income tax that the new company paid back on my tax return this spring.

So, in total, I earned $26,000 above my normal salary last year. And if I were doing comparable work for the government, my salary would be ~$20,000 less and I would have not even had the opportunity for the bonus(es).

AlwaysBeenASaver

• Bristles
« Reply #69 on: February 13, 2015, 01:42:24 PM »
Nothing yet, but expecting somewhere around 2.5K (gross) sometime soon.

Money Badger

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #70 on: February 21, 2015, 06:53:19 AM »
My heart goes out to folks who are hourly or who never get to the paygrades where "incentives" like bonuses or better kick in.   I'm blessed to have played the corporate game well enough to get to "sort of middle management" which is an endangered species in America in the era of "outsourcing".    So here's some perspective for those who think it's easy street...   First 7 years of my career, I got nothing for a bonus.   Then for 3 years played the "we give stock options but they're really worthless by the time we pay out to the worker bees" game.   This lasted until the dot com era meltdown in 2000.  Then I wised up a little and negotiated for a cash bonus % on top of a decent salary the last 15 years but was then stupid enough to take the annual "chunk" which let the higher tax rates on "bonus" eat a big chunk of this "bonus" which meant half the bonus $ simply stayed in the company's bank account.   My company then shifted our fiscal year to end in March so people would stop jumping ship at end of calendar year.   One year, we had a big quality issue with a product I had nothing to do with, but it hit our financials hard and got zero payout.    I'm now a little wiser and put all of the bonus into 401K to avoid the higher up front tax hit on this income.   Meanwhile, the 50 or so risk-taker execs well above my paygrade make great big stock options and other incentives (some execs maxed their annual 401Ks  in Feb!).   After all this, I am sick and tired of the Catbert and mouse game of bonuses that someone else decides to dangle in front of me and hand out (maybe/sometimes/never).

For the rest of my life, my "bonus" is from growing monthly and quarterly tax exempt income from a combination of MLP investments, a state-specific Muni-bond fund (100% free of Fed/State taxes) in my taxable account plus ETF index mutual funds and REIT income producing investments compounding in my IRA.   I'm mad as hell at myself that I was dumb enough to play the bonus game, give Uncle Sam almost half of my "so called bonuses" all those years! I am not going to stop paying myself first from now on until FI!

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #71 on: February 21, 2015, 07:00:59 AM »
My heart goes out to folks who are hourly or who never get to the paygrades where "incentives" like bonuses or better kick in.   I'm blessed to have played the corporate game well enough to get to "sort of middle management" which is an endangered species in America in the era of "outsourcing".    So here's some perspective for those who think it's easy street...   First 7 years of my career, I got nothing for a bonus.   Then for 3 years played the "we give stock options but they're really worthless by the time we pay out to the worker bees" game.   This lasted until the dot com era meltdown in 2000.  Then I wised up a little and negotiated for a cash bonus % on top of a decent salary the last 15 years but was then stupid enough to take the annual "chunk" which let the higher tax rates on "bonus" eat a big chunk of this "bonus" which meant half the bonus $ simply stayed in the company's bank account.   My company then shifted our fiscal year to end in March so people would stop jumping ship at end of calendar year.   One year, we had a big quality issue with a product I had nothing to do with, but it hit our financials hard and got zero payout.    I'm now a little wiser and put all of the bonus into 401K to avoid the higher up front tax hit on this income.   Meanwhile, the 50 or so risk-taker execs well above my paygrade make great big stock options and other incentives (some execs maxed their annual 401Ks  in Feb!).   After all this, I am sick and tired of the Catbert and mouse game of bonuses that someone else decides to dangle in front of me and hand out (maybe/sometimes/never).

For the rest of my life, my "bonus" is from growing monthly and quarterly tax exempt income from a combination of MLP investments, a state-specific Muni-bond fund (100% free of Fed/State taxes) in my taxable account plus ETF index mutual funds and REIT income producing investments compounding in my IRA.   I'm mad as hell at myself that I was dumb enough to play the bonus game, give Uncle Sam almost half of my "so called bonuses" all those years! I am not going to stop paying myself first from now on until FI!

You do realize whether it was paid over the entire year as part of your salary or given as a bonus at the end, it's taxed the same? A lot gets withheld, but you get the remainder back when you file.

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #72 on: February 21, 2015, 08:31:40 AM »
We get our previous year's bonus/variable pay mid-February the next year. Lots of factors, but if all hit their target, I get 9% 11% of salary.

Other than occasionally buying something small (new pair of unnecessary shoes), the money just goes to the bank. I have 401k pulled out of the bonus check as well as regular checks (you can set it up either way).

It's been a wild ride this year, initially they were going to do $0 variable compensation.  Further machinations, calculations, adjustments, etc. resulted in a reduced payout of about 6% of my salary.  They also announce raises at the same time, I am getting 1.8%, but it starts 3-4 months later than the typical start. 
Since I thought there was going to be NO bonus this year, I had adjusted my 401k from paycheck to 50% to try to front load the account.  So - a big chunk of bonus went to my RSP, a big chunk to tax withholding, the rest into the bank.  After I do our taxes, I'll be moving money into Roth and/or other investments.

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #73 on: February 21, 2015, 08:46:25 AM »
Used my 2014 bonus to move much of my 2015 charitable giving into the 2014 calendar year. This year will file married, last year was single. So we not only get

So not only did I get a bonus, which was 401k matched, it let me immediately make about 30% return by pushing me just out of the 25% federal bracket with itemized deductions.

TheDude

• Bristles
« Reply #74 on: February 21, 2015, 09:57:41 AM »
I started at a company back in October so this will be my first bonus at the company. Its going to prorated since I only worked at the company part of the bonus months but I'm still excited to see what it is. Should find out next week

Gone Fishing

• Magnum Stache
    • Journal
« Reply #75 on: February 23, 2015, 11:28:54 AM »
Still waiting.  It takes them a long time to cook the numbers so they pay out less!

Still waiting, hope to hear something next week...

hdatontodo

• Bristles
« Reply #76 on: February 23, 2015, 12:21:23 PM »
We are getting 95% of our max 10% of salary bonus, so long as you were still working at the end of 2014. I'll see that money on Feb 27. Plus, I have 20+ hours OT on that check. I should be able to put 5-10K on the house principal.

FIreDrill

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #77 on: February 23, 2015, 12:36:44 PM »
I get 1 bonus in Nov and one in Dec.  This year they totaled 3.5k and went towards 401k and IRA.  My wife got her first bonus with a new employer and we were pleasantly surprised at the 5k bonus, this also went to max out her 401k.  8.5k in bonuses in 2 months was pretty freaking awesome.  I am slated to get another one during march in the amount of 1700-2200 which will go towards filling our 2014 IRA's.

Guesl982374

• Bristles
« Reply #78 on: February 23, 2015, 12:51:05 PM »
I'm expecting mine in March for 2014. The company didn't do too well so I expect it to be cut by ~30% however personal performance was up so we'll see. It represents ~5% of my total comp so it's not a huge number in terms of % of my salary.

AlwaysBeenASaver

• Bristles
« Reply #79 on: February 23, 2015, 01:40:41 PM »
2500 gross, I expect taxes to eat a lot of that.

Megatron

• Stubble
« Reply #80 on: February 23, 2015, 03:06:22 PM »
2500 gross, I expect taxes to eat a lot of that.

yep. 22k of bonus, lost almost 10k to taxes or something

Unique User

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #81 on: February 23, 2015, 03:50:05 PM »

Same here, but I know it'll be low.  We'll probably find out a few days before it pays out in March.  DH's is calculated on a percentage of revenue over sales budget so we know his, $5900.  Something is always better than nothing!

Ftao93

• Stubble
« Reply #82 on: February 23, 2015, 03:57:41 PM »
I got one, but it was much less than in previous years.  The raise was insulting.

Salary 48300
raise: 2.1% to 49300.  supposedly due to some 'performance' issues but the max I could have got was 3%.

Bonus is usually 1-2k, but we got 800 this year.   A bonus is always wonderful, I just wish I could have elected 100% into the 401k instead of 50%

Gone Fishing

• Magnum Stache
    • Journal
« Reply #83 on: March 04, 2015, 09:05:24 AM »

Still waiting, got a few voodo point based numbers last week that I estimated a 16% payout from.  We'll see how close I was on Friday...

runfromwork

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #84 on: March 04, 2015, 09:46:32 AM »
Just received notice that I'll be getting $30,350 on March 13, a 3.5% raise and $14,500 of a mix of stock options and RSUs.  All of which will be stashed into my brokerage account!!!!

mandy_2002

• Bristles
« Reply #85 on: March 04, 2015, 10:43:27 AM »
We're informed about and paid our awards in March, but I've gotten numbers for 60% of it, the corporate pieces.  My base is $9100, and I know that I will get $6400 of this (slightly better than 100% performance).  We're now waiting on the personal part and our divisions part.

I will be using the money to buy my discounted employee stock, then sell all of that as soon as possible and put it in my Vanguard account.  Some may be used for my housing move, but I don't foresee any large costs with that.

I got my package a few days ago:  Just over $10,000 before taxes.  It should be the perfect amount for my discounted stock purchase.

rockstache

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #86 on: March 04, 2015, 11:53:54 AM »
Dh gets his this month, I get mine in July. Between the two of us, should be about $12,000 gross, maybe a little more. With it, I will finish funding the IRAs for the year, and throw a little into savings to pad it for an upcoming (tbd) move. If there is more left after that, I will be jacking up my 401K contribution (not quite hitting the max yet).

catccc

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #87 on: March 04, 2015, 12:24:14 PM »
New employer, new (far lesser) bonus.  I think I'm getting less than $1K this year.

At my prior job, I got around $6K gross.

But screw that old job, it was so not worth the money!!!

It gets paid out this first week of March, I believe.

Lanthiriel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #88 on: March 04, 2015, 04:44:36 PM »
I got $1000, which I guess is exceptionally bad because we didn't hit our numbers in 2013. It was my bonus at this firm, and I wasn't here the whole year, so I'm hoping it improves going forward.

njfleck

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #89 on: March 05, 2015, 12:25:34 PM »
Got mine in October. It was $600, haha. It was prorated for the short time I had been with my employer. I was surprised to qualify for one after only a few months. Went straight to student loan debt payoff.

codemonkey

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #90 on: March 05, 2015, 01:34:18 PM »
$16,000, by far my highest bonus ever.  The company had a great year and I out performed my peers consistently.

30% in taxes and such
10% to tithe
6% to 401k (max employer match)

The rest is opening and fully funding a tIRA for myself for the 2014 tax year, paying off our last non-mortgage debt which is 0% interest until June, and then I'm giving my wife the last $1,500 to make some small home improvements that she's wanted us to do for quite some time.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #91 on: March 05, 2015, 02:34:35 PM »
$3,200 gross, so whatever I get after taxes, etc will go towards debt payoff. Also got a small raise!

Davin

• Stubble
« Reply #92 on: March 05, 2015, 05:26:00 PM »
$3231, works out to be 18% of my gross income (bonus included)! I adjusted my 401k withholding to 80% to avoid the tax hit, and make up for the fact that I have been out of work since December when I was run down by a hit and run driver an thus unable to contribute to retirement so far this year. I guess they plan on keeping me, they sent me a fruit basket and a get well card too. None of my previous employers would have done any of this for me. I don't feel screwed out of anything.

Public Hermit

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #93 on: March 06, 2015, 10:34:14 AM »
It was equivalent to about 1 week's pay. I threw it all at the student loans. But I am going to slow down on the student loans because I have about $1500 left at 3.4% and I need to build my emergency fund. I had jaw surgery and the $2000 deductible depleted my savings. So from now on, it is just $100 a month to the loans and taking whatever my quarterly bonuses are and throwing them at the student loans.

Shamantha

• Stubble
« Reply #94 on: March 06, 2015, 11:14:47 AM »
Will get a considerable bonus of 25% of my annual salary, so I am very happy with that. 52% will go to tax, but from what the taxman leaves me 95% will go towards the mortgage and 5% on a nice citytrip with my mum.

Now updating my mortgage payment spreadsheet, which is turning greener every month (paid off mortgage is green, remainder is red).

Gone Fishing

• Magnum Stache
    • Journal
« Reply #95 on: March 06, 2015, 12:18:36 PM »

Still waiting, got a few voodo point based numbers last week that I estimated a 16% payout from.  We'll see how close I was on Friday...

Finally came through.  Should be enough reduce my required withdrawal rate by about .04%!

couponvan

• Walrus Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #96 on: March 06, 2015, 01:18:56 PM »
Waiting with baited breath for the "deferred compensation" carrot/stick of 35% salary that is due to arrive 3/16/15. They can deduct some for "individual" or "unit performance", but both of those have been good. The baited breath isn't for the money, it's that pink slips often arrrive on 3/9-3/10....

retireatbirth

• Bristles
« Reply #97 on: March 08, 2015, 10:51:09 AM »
I don't know yet, but I have the boss from hell who hates me. I'm just hoping she has little say over the process. I'll find out this week.

couponvan

• Walrus Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #98 on: April 02, 2015, 11:08:25 AM »
Bonus arrived 2 weeks ago - 35% exactly and no pink slip! :-)

Took a portion and paid off the clown car. I probably should trade clownie in for a Nissan Leaf with the tax credits, but baby steps.... Now we are down to just mortgage payments - $26K at 4.625% (30yr-investment property rate), and $268K at 2.625%  (15yr-not paying ahead).  Hoping to know out the $26K in less than a year to have one house fully paid for.

Remaining portion allocated to fixing the roof and a basement leak (foundation crack) at the foreclosure house.  Since we plan for that to be our home base in FIRE, we want to do it right.